[Burichan] [Futaba] [Nice] [Pony]  -  [WT]  [Home] [Manage]
In memory of Flyin' Black Jackson
[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [Last 100 posts]
Posting mode: Reply
Name
Email
Subject   (reply to 581196)
Message
File []
Password  (for post and file deletion)
  • Supported file types are: GIF, JPG, PNG
  • Maximum file size allowed is 10000 KB.
  • Images greater than 250x250 pixels will be thumbnailed.
  • Currently 21324 unique user posts. View catalog

File 140376160416.png - (160.62KB , 456x412 , adventurequest ch1 title.png )
581196 No. 581196 ID: fb1b4b

Expand all images
>>
No. 581198 ID: fb1b4b
File 140376165042.png - (135.60KB , 800x900 , adventurequest ch1panel1.png )
581198

Sometimes staying focused is the hardest thing in the world, like standing in the ocean with the undertow tugging at your feet.

It's so much easier to stop struggling and drift off.
>>
No. 581199 ID: fb1b4b
File 140376168307.png - (87.44KB , 556x720 , adventurequest ch1 panel2.png )
581199

And also it's way more fun to stop listening to your gross English teacher and draw yourself as a pirate.

MRS. ROACH: BAILEY!
>>
No. 581200 ID: fb1b4b
File 140376171636.png - (86.45KB , 800x718 , adventurequest ch1 panel3.png )
581200

BAILEY: totally paying attention I swear
>>
No. 581201 ID: fb1b4b
File 140376176979.png - (229.11KB , 800x1000 , adventurequest ch1 panel4.png )
581201

MRS. ROACH: I asked you a question.
BAILEY: Um.

You can't stop looking at your teacher's eyelashes.
>>
No. 581202 ID: fb1b4b
File 140376179670.png - (47.09KB , 673x541 , adventurequest ch1 panel5.png )
581202

They're like little spider legs.

BAILEY: Could you rephrase it?
>>
No. 581203 ID: fb1b4b
File 140376183397.png - (85.81KB , 700x596 , adventurequest ch1 panel6.png )
581203

Mrs. Roach asks something about Beowulf. You think it's a pretty cool story, and on a better day, you could have gone on and on about it. But right now all you can think is spider legs spider legs spider legs.

You're completely blanking. What do you say?
>>
No. 581210 ID: 2fd516

>>581203
Imagine Grendel as a spider, that'll get your mind back on topic!
>>
No. 581211 ID: a28869

"You have really beautiful eyelashes, Mrs. Roach!"
>>
No. 581212 ID: d7800e

Jeez, girl, that's not exactly enough information for us to bs an answer from. If you have any trustworthy friends in that class, look over to them- they might help you.
If not, you could just apologize and ask for her to repeat again, or say that you don't know.
Don't. Say. Anything. About. Spiders.
>>
No. 581217 ID: fb1b4b
File 140376559545.png - (269.41KB , 671x1400 , adventurequest ch1 panel7.png )
581217

>If you have any trustworthy friends in that class, look over to them- they might help you. If not, you could just apologize and ask for her to repeat again, or say that you don't know.

BAILEY: Sorry, could you repeat it again?
MRS. ROACH: It would be so much easier for everyone if you could just listen when I speak in the first place.

The girl sitting behind you prods you in the back. She cups her hands around her mouth and whispers-

GIRL: Freak.

Then the bell rings and it feels like someone's scraping your brain with a trowel.

MRS. ROACH: Looks like we're out of time. Remember, finish Beowulf and respond to the prompt I passed out earlier.

You grab your backpack and your cane and leave as fast as you can. Which, unfortunately, is not that fast, due to aforementioned cane.
>>
No. 581218 ID: 2fd516

>>581217
Why do you need a cane?
>>
No. 581219 ID: c5f6d2

Obviously she is a sword-dueler and that is her sword-blade pimp cane that she takes with her when she's doing her rounds checking up on the hos and taking her money.
>>
No. 581222 ID: fb1b4b
File 140376950355.png - (101.65KB , 457x731 , bailey info.png )
581222

[color=green]>Why do you need a cane?
> Obviously she is a sword-dueler and that is her sword-blade pimp cane that she takes with her when she's doing her rounds checking up on the hos and taking her money.
[/green]

The cane is for walking. And sometimes, when your pain isn't too bad, for secret pretend fencing practice.

SOME INFORMATION

Your name is Bailey Brown. You are 20 years old.

You are still a senior in high school because your disabilities – specifically, you are autistic and have fibromyalgia – have made it difficult to get through school. This has not been so great for your self-esteem. Neither has your continued dependence on your mother and her partner.

You are not very strong or agile, and you tire quickly. However, you have become highly skilled at tolerating immense amounts of pain without making a fuss.

Which is kind of a sad skill to have, but, y'know, we work with what we've got.
>>
No. 581223 ID: fb1b4b
File 140376963851.png - (150.86KB , 663x797 , adventurequest ch1 panel8.png )
581223

The front door clatters as you go inside. You were hoping you could enter quietly and sneak to your room.
>>
No. 581249 ID: 4d1168

>FM

Damn that sucks, how are you treating it? Also what's with the sneaking?
>>
No. 581255 ID: 50338d

>20 years old in high school
That is a tragic and painful form of torture.
>>
No. 581288 ID: fb1b4b
File 140381294659.png - (102.17KB , 800x735 , adventurequest panel 9.png )
581288

>Damn that sucks, how are you treating it?

“Treating it” is kind of an overstatement. You take a lot of naproxen, which usually prevents the pain from escalating to “fall-over-and-die” levels, but that's pretty much it.

Your doctor has no idea what to do with fibromyalgia, and you are too frazzled to find another one.

>Also what's with the sneaking?

Your mother's girlfriend, Sunshine.

SUNSHINE: BAILEY! Get me a soda.

Get it yourself, you think. Instead you go to the kitchen and get one. It's like Sunshine always says. She works, and you can't. So either you do as you're told or you wind up homeless.


You're pretty sure anyone else's mother would stand up for them, but yours is kind of a spineless blob that goes along with whatever Sunshine says.

SUNSHINE: This is too warm.
BAILEY: It was in the fridge.
SUNSHINE: It hasn't been in the fridge long enough. Get me some ice.
BAILEY: I can't fit ice cubes through the little hole in the can.
SUNSHINE: So put it in a glass and put the ice in the glass. Jesus!

You imagine throwing the can at Sunshine's head.

SUNSHINE: All I do for you and your mother. It's cause of me your mom started getting her shit together and going back to work. You can't work 'cause you're retarded – and I don't buy that imaginary pain disease crap. You're just bluh bluh bluh I'm a tool, I'm a tool, I'm the world's biggest jerk.

You stopped listening after “imaginary pain disease.” You start walking to your room.

SUNSHINE: Hey! I'm not finished talking to you! Get back here!
>>
No. 581289 ID: fb1b4b
File 140381303948.png - (223.25KB , 800x660 , adventurequest ch1 panel10.png )
581289

BAILEY: uuuugggghhhhghgghghhg

You're willing to bet that your favorite characters never have to deal with stuff like this. Monsters and curses and nefarious rivals, sure, but heroes always triumph over their problems no matter what. They're never powerless for long.

What do you do now?
>>
No. 581295 ID: d7800e

Oh, can you tell us about your posters?
>>
No. 581297 ID: 2fd516

>>581289
You probably shouldn't leave your diary out where Sunshine can see it. What kind of stuff do you write in it?
>>
No. 581308 ID: ecb09c

tell us about your favorite characters! what kind of books/movies/games/etc do you like?
>>
No. 581311 ID: e1609c

>>581289
Long-term goals? Find a way to get the rather-ironically-named sunshine out of here. What a shithead.
Short-term? Tell us about your characters.
>>
No. 581329 ID: fb1b4b
File 140382185395.png - (155.00KB , 346x1155 , adventurequest ch1 panel11.png )
581329

> what kind of books/movies/games/etc do you like?

You love any sort of story where people have adventures and go on daring quests, especially if there's pirates and sailing ships. You read/watch any of those that you can get your hands on. But your most favorite of all is a movie called The Subterranean Treasure.

> Oh, can you tell us about your posters?

They're Subterranean Treasure posters. An inventor gets kidnapped and the local sheriff goes to rescue him, grudgingly enlisting the help of a pirate formerly associated with the kidnappers. Meanwhile, the pirates force Herrero to disable a complicated mechanism guarding the entrance to a cave full of treasure. It's the best movie ever.

> tell us about your favorite characters!

Sheriff Eleanor Luo is strong and brave. She tries to do what she thinks is right, even when that's really hard and confusing. In the pseudo-historical universe of the movie it's unusual for a woman of color to be involved in law enforcement, so she worked about a hundred times as hard as anyone else to be nearly as respected. Eventually she's like, screw this, this is no good for me, and quits. You admire her a whole lot.

Gil Herrero likes to invent things. He's a genius at building stuff and solving problems and he gets really excited about it. He's also clumsy and kind of a goof in social situations. You can relate.

Jack Ward tries to be this slick charming rogue type, but you are pretty sure most of it is an act. You get the impression that he's really lonely and desperate for someone to like him, but he's too proud and too awkward to actually make an attempt to make friends. You used to have this awful embarrassing crush on him.

> You probably shouldn't leave your diary out where Sunshine can see it. What kind of stuff do you write in it?

A diary would be less embarrassing. That is a notebook full of old fanfiction. That you wrote. You've been meaning to throw it out but you keep looking through it and cringing.

Sunshine's uninterested in that stuff but your mom used to snoop through it and then give you feedback. It was horrifying.

Door: KNOCK KNOCK
MOM: Bailey? Bailey, unlock the door, please.
>>
No. 581330 ID: e1609c

>>581329
Better let her in then, she is your mom!
>>
No. 581331 ID: 2fd516

>>581329
A polite request, better skip to it!
>>
No. 581334 ID: 2bef53

yeah, no reason not to talk to her for a bit.
>>
No. 581338 ID: fb1b4b
File 140382366560.png - (75.13KB , 463x719 , adventurequest ch1 panel12.png )
581338

> Better let her in then, she is your mom!

MOM: I've heard that you were a little rude to Sunshine today. You know what I've told you, Bailey. I want you to treat her with respect. It's very important to me. I think you should apologize.

You need help reacting to this.
>>
No. 581340 ID: 0ee153

She called you retarded and said that your disease was fake. She was the one being rude.

Alternatively, cut a ho.
>>
No. 581343 ID: ce6963

Sorry but...Well, she just hassles me so much because of my aliments and it's not even fair stuff! She asks me to get her a soda. Then she complains it's too hot and wants me to put ice in it because 'it hasn't been in the fridge long enough', and then does she say thank you? No, instead she just start yakking about my 'imaginary pain crap' and all the stuff she does for us and ugh!
Seriously, you think this is FUN? Do you think this is something i like doing, being a useless damsel in distress?
...And I kind of embarassed myself in school today, so that doesn't help either.
>>
No. 581361 ID: e1609c

>>581340
remember to explain all this calmly. if she winds up still not believing you, I say get a video camera at some point and work on catching her in the act for proof.
>>
No. 581365 ID: fb1b4b
File 140382817487.png - (113.43KB , 566x948 , adventurequest ch1panel13.png )
581365

BAILEY: She called me retarded and said my disease is fake. She was the one being rude.
MOM: I don't believe that.
BAILEY: She treats me like shit all the time, and you just let her. Even when I was a kid. You never tried going like, hey, verbally abusing my child is not okay, don't do that. You always act like it's my fault. Well, you know what? You can both go to hell!
MOM: You've hurt my feelings.
BAILEY: Wow! I wonder what that feels like.

You grab your cane and storm out of the house. You're not even sure where to go but you know you're not staying here.

Where do you go?
A – into the woods behind your house
B – to the library down the street
>>
No. 581367 ID: d7800e

Library, lose yourself in books.
>>
No. 581374 ID: e1609c

>>581365
woods, fulfill the prophecy put forth by the thread header
>>
No. 581375 ID: 2fd516

>>581365
FULFILL THE PROPHECY.
>>
No. 581377 ID: e1609c

>>581365
Oof, though, that was a bit violent. Your mom may be a bit gullible, but you should be holding that against her terrible taste in women, not against her.
>>
No. 581378 ID: 6b7ea4

well actually i'm super curious about what happens if we don't actively try to fulfill the prophecy so. go 2 the library. maybe meet a cute librarian. maybe get into a new book series so u will have MORE favorite characters to help you through tough times. idk man the world is full of possibilities
>>
No. 581379 ID: 969c38

hmMM, the library is a nice safe and quiet place to calm down, and this is a pretty stressful and exhausting situation for you. But also.

Prophecy.
>>
No. 581385 ID: fb1b4b
File 140383185680.png - (27.89KB , 495x490 , adventurequest ch1 panel14.png )
581385

You still can't choose. You decide to flip a coin. Heads is library, tails is woods.

It lands on tails. Woods it is.
>>
No. 581405 ID: fb1b4b
File 140383564911.png - (157.55KB , 929x559 , adventurequest ch1 panel15.png )
581405

You felt okay at first, so you walked a little farther than you're normally able. Now you can hardly breathe and it feels like everything's on fire.

BAILEY: This is it. (huuuuuffff puuuufffff) This is how I'm going to die. (coughing fit) If not today, then.......someday. (huff cough) The tombstone will read “Bailey Brown, Refused to Accept Her Limitations Like a Big Ol Fuckin' Dingus.”

There's an old abandoned tree fort nearby. You found it when you were younger, but you haven't looked for it in years. It's even more decrepit than before, wood rotting and falling apart, moss everywhere, odd nails sticking out of boards.

You climb the steps nailed to the front of the tree. The wood creaks under your weight as you pull yourself up and in. Oh no. There's a cracking sound below your feet and you brace yourself, expecting to fall through the splintered wood. Instead there's just darkness.

END OF CHAPTER ONE
>>
No. 581460 ID: fb1b4b
File 140384450617.png - (1.21MB , 860x654 , adventurequest ch2 title.png )
581460

probably obvious but i did not draw this. it's a public domain photograph of a painting of a map of Falmouth, Maine circa 1775.
>>
No. 581476 ID: 50338d

...we talked someone with disabilities and disease into running away into the forest, alone, unequipped, and unprepared.

I'm sure this will end well.
>>
No. 581704 ID: 321d85

>>581476
I, uh, yeah, we, uh...we're awesome like that. :\

I keep sticking my arms straight in the air and waving like aerial jazz-hands and saying, "THE PROPHECYYYYY!" Good thing no-one's around to see me act like a loon.
>>
No. 581885 ID: fb1b4b
File 140404027248.png - (281.46KB , 500x628 , aq ch2 panel1.png )
581885

You're lying on your back on what feels like cobblestones.

Okay. Maybe you somehow ended up in downtown Portland? Somehow?

The impression that you're in Portland, Maine does not lessen when you see a horse and buggy go by. Tourists like to go on rides sometimes. Don't they?

And then you catch sight of yourself in a store window.
>>
No. 581886 ID: fb1b4b
File 140404030386.png - (97.43KB , 550x550 , aq ch2 panel2.png )
581886

BAILEY: what
>>
No. 581887 ID: fb1b4b
File 140404041354.png - (34.52KB , 387x392 , aq ch2 panel3.png )
581887

Then you notice the store's sign.
>>
No. 581888 ID: fb1b4b
File 140404046546.png - (72.60KB , 500x427 , aq ch2 panel4.png )
581888

This is the sort of bewilderment that can only be expressed in excessive question marks.

BAILEY: ?????????????????????

What should you do?
>>
No. 581892 ID: a36601

First thing to do is to go inside and ask the shop keep the name of the town/city. See how foreign it sounds. Also check ?pockets?
>>
No. 581894 ID: 483d7f

Attempt to get bearings, and avoid becoming road-pizza: If you lack situational awareness the first thing you should suspect is that there is a 1950s Buick driving towards you and the driver hasn't seen you yet.
After you have defended yourself against random acts of vehicular manslaughter, check inventory. Someone seems to have stolen your clothes and replaced them with others: They also redid your hair. What about your cane, and general physical status?
>>
No. 581906 ID: e31ca1

Where is your cane? also get out of the road. Is there anything else interesting around here aside from the "repair-o" shop?
>>
No. 581915 ID: 50338d

Wonder if you've gone crazy, been kidnapped and dressed up by crazy people, if you're dying alone in the forest and hallucinating, if this is a dream, or you somehow fell back in time or something.

Realize you're standing without your cane.
>>
No. 582011 ID: aecbb4

where is your cane?
>>
No. 582185 ID: 5c4953
File 140418649595.png - (160.38KB , 486x531 , aq ch2 panel5.png )
582185

> Realize you're standing without your cane.
>What about your cane, and general physical status?

Your cane is gone. There is a cane that was on the ground next to you when you woke up. You pick it up. It's made of wood.

Your general physical status is awful, but the normal amount of awful.

> check inventory

In your hand: the wooden cane.
On your person: a shift, stays, petticoat, gown, a belt, and some bits of cloth tying back your hair.
That's all you have.

> also get out of the road
You're off to the side, close to the shop, but getting out of the road doesn't seem to be a huge priority for people, because there aren't any cars, just the occasional carriage.

> First thing to do is to go inside and ask the shop keep the name of the town/city. See how foreign it sounds.

The shop is closed and the door is locked. You're a little glad, because the shop is exactly like the one a character owns in your favorite movie, and walking in there would make you feel like you've definitely gone crazy.

You ask someone walking by, instead.

BAILEY: Excuse me, what is this town called?
MAN: Falmouth's Neck.

Falmouth's Neck is what Portland was called until 1786.

It is also the town in which part of The Subterranean Treasure takes place.

MAN: Are you lost, miss?
BAILEY: No, I think I know exactly where I am.

Tne guy walks off.

There are lots of stories about people being magically transported to some other world. You wished many times that it would happen to you.

The silly, little-kid part of your brain, the same part that does things like make you start clapping when Tinkerbell is dying, wonders if somehow, someone heard that wish.

> Wonder if you've gone crazy, been kidnapped and dressed up by crazy people, if you're dying alone in the forest and hallucinating, if this is a dream, or you somehow fell back in time or something.

Maybe the explanation is that if you want something badly enough, magical things can happen.
>>
No. 582186 ID: 5c4953
File 140418652633.png - (144.51KB , 444x509 , aq ch2 panel6.png )
582186

For the moment we will leave Bailey and drop in on someone new.

Now you are this guy, and you are gonna steal a thing.
>>
No. 582187 ID: 5c4953
File 140418657475.png - (101.12KB , 339x710 , aq ch2 panel7.png )
582187

Some information:

Your name is Jack Ward, and you are....mid-twenties-ish. (You're not sure when exactly you were born.)

You are an able-bodied sailor and a thief, and thus have the various sort of skills that accompany these occupations, and you're strong and nimble.

There is a ship belonging to you floating just outside of town – not floating in the water, floating in the air. It is not supposed to do that. That's why you're here, to find a way to break whatever spell is on it so that it'll go back to normal.

You have a sword and a pistol, but you try not to use them if you can help it. You prefer to solve your problems by being sneaky.
In your pockets you have a compass, a few coins, and a very small, probably useless piece of rope that you forgot was there.
>>
No. 582188 ID: 5c4953
File 140418660475.png - (169.40KB , 771x533 , aq ch2 panel8.png )
582188

>>
No. 582189 ID: 5c4953
File 140418664805.png - (88.92KB , 589x454 , aq ch2 panel9.png )
582189

It was almost too easy to steal the -
>>
No. 582190 ID: 5c4953
File 140418667596.png - (74.73KB , 589x454 , aq ch2 panel10.png )
582190

Well, shit.

You hear footsteps coming from both ends of the hallway you're in.

What do you do?
>>
No. 582191 ID: 2fd516

>>582190
Smash the window with your elbow and leap out?
>>
No. 582208 ID: 24dc7a

Smash the window with your sword pommel, then abscond and hope they don't have magical tracking on whatever you took.

>There is a ship belonging to you floating just outside of town – not floating in the water, floating in the air. It is not supposed to do that.
Why is this a problem? Floating above the water that should make it go faster if anything, since its sails can still catch the wind while the water isn't there to slow it down. It is also probably harder to sink if it can't take on water.
>>
No. 582211 ID: 483d7f

My first suggestion is that fire usually makes a getaway easier, because people have to at least think about it first whether they're doing something about the fire or chasing after you and that is getaway-lead even if they do chase you.

>There is a ship belonging to you floating just outside of town – not floating in the water, floating in the air. >Why is this a problem?
A sailship requires winds and currents to navigate against or else it can't go anywhere except the direction that the winds are blowing (or the currents are flowing if there's no wind and sails). Dude needs to anchor it just to keep it from flying away or getting caught in a tornado or hurricane.
>>
No. 582212 ID: 2fd516

I think the main problem is the rudder doesn't have anything to push against in the air.
>>
No. 582213 ID: 41dddb

>>582212
Ok, but idea:
Wind oars. Think like thise rowing crews you'd see on the viking ships, but instead of oars you have giant fans.
It would take some modification and guesswork, but with some effort the flying ship thing is pretty much the raddest thing ever.
Also, window. Right there. Check if the drop's nasty, if not smash it and hop out. If yes, smash it and hide.
>>
No. 582238 ID: 000499

Smash the window! If theres a good place to hide, do so! Tjeyll think you fucked off outta the window and leave.
>>
No. 582259 ID: 50338d

>earlier than 1786
Goodbye naproxen, and other meds. Hopefully the time travel did something about your fm or things are going to really start to suck soon.

>>582190
A magical alarm I presume?
>>
No. 582300 ID: 321d85

>>582259
Ooh, ooh, or maybe someone can cast "Cure Disease" or something!

>>582238
But yeah, if there's a good place to hide, smash the window, then hide. (Though there's a chance that will backfire.) Otherwise, (and assuming you're on the first floor), smash the window with your sword pommel and actually jump out. And run like the dickens.
>>
No. 582520 ID: 76cd0d
File 140435087579.png - (33.47KB , 537x454 , aq ch2 panel11.png )
582520

> Why is this a problem?

For a number of reasons, but most of all it is that you love being at sea. A ship that won't stay in the water sort of defeats the whole purpose.

>Smash the window with your sword pommel, then abscond and hope they don't have magical tracking on whatever you took.

The window opens easily, so there's no need to smash it. Then you abscond!
>>
No. 582521 ID: 76cd0d
File 140435092322.png - (105.55KB , 552x468 , aq ch2 panel12.png )
582521

You're able to jump to the ground safely. The only minor injury is to your pride.

JACK: You didn't see anything!
>>
No. 582522 ID: 76cd0d
File 140435096128.png - (102.45KB , 653x495 , aq ch2 panel 13.png )
582522

You run right into the town sheriff.

SHERIFF: Jack Ward! How strange. The wizards' alarm goes off and you're fleeing the scene.
JACK: It is strange, and entirely coincidental.
SHERIFF: What's that sticking out of your pocket?
JACK: It's a book. My book. That I own.
SHERIFF: Why does it have 'Property of NEWS' stamped it?
JACK: That is a good question.
>>
No. 582523 ID: 76cd0d
File 140435101045.png - (7.25KB , 500x183 , aq ch2 panel14.png )
582523

GIRL: what was that??
SHERIFF: cannon fire. someone's attacking the town

>>
No. 582524 ID: 76cd0d
File 140435101954.png - (74.31KB , 500x576 , aq ch2 panel15.png )
582524

>>
No. 582525 ID: 76cd0d
File 140435103094.png - (100.58KB , 602x738 , aq ch2 panel16.png )
582525

>>
No. 582526 ID: 76cd0d
File 140435103781.png - (31.30KB , 252x281 , aq ch2 panel17.png )
582526

>>
No. 582527 ID: 76cd0d
File 140435106942.png - (1.73KB , 500x400 , aq ch2 panel18.png )
582527

jack?




jack can you hear me?

>>
No. 582528 ID: 76cd0d
File 140435142234.png - (150.54KB , 765x601 , ch2 panel19.png )
582528

JACK: Who are you?
BAILEY: My name's Bailey.
JACK: What happened?
BAILEY: Cannons started going off and you went all catatonic so the sheriff brought you to her cellar and told me to keep an eye on you.
JACK: Where's the sheriff?
BAILEY: She went back out to help people. Are you okay?
JACK: I've been better. Why do you care?
BAILEY: 'Cause I'm a decent person? And loud noises mess me up sometimes, too.
JACK: It's not all loud noises. Just...explosions. Usually I can handle it if I know it's coming, but...

You stop yourself. Volunteering very personal information is not your thing.

What do you do?
A – escape while the sheriff is distracted
B – keep talking to Bailey (if so, about what?)
C – go back to being Bailey
>>
No. 582551 ID: e1609c

>>582526
ok, so we are in the throes of death. Wonderful.

B then C
>>
No. 582557 ID: 24dc7a

C) Bailey: Consider the implications about talking to characters you have read about, and try and bring up the subject of asking about their adventures, so you can see where in their timeline you appeared.

>>582551
Bailey was wearing a green shirt instead of a grey shirt. I am pretty sure the bloody wound is just Jack's shrapnel PTSD rather than Bailey dying on a tree branch.
>>
No. 582563 ID: 707a11

That was definitely Jack's flashback PTSD.

Pop up and peek out the window, start planning your next move, while you chat with Bailey.
>>
No. 582610 ID: 103c51

I am SO excited for this quest its NOT EVEN FUNNY. Where is the discus thread I need somewhere to cram my fanart!
>B! Ask her about why loud noises mess her up? Aalso ask her what the sherrif said - are you detained? Or free to go? I mean, you're leaving anyway, right, but it would be nice to know ifyou have to watch out for her. y
>>
No. 582614 ID: e1609c

>>582610
It's usually best to plug fanart in the fanart thread, friend! http://tgchan.org/kusaba/questdis/res/76929.html[/spoiler]
>>
No. 583131 ID: 3562af
File 140469078304.png - (127.65KB , 974x558 , aq ch2 panel20.png )
583131

> I am SO excited for this quest its NOT EVEN FUNNY. Where is the discus thread I need somewhere to cram my fanart! 

The discussion thread's here! http://tgchan.org/kusaba/questdis/res/82957.html


> Pop up and peek out the window, start planning your next move, while you chat with Bailey.
>Aalso ask her what the sherrif said - are you detained? Or free to go?

Unfortunately, there is no window out of which you can peek.

JACK: What did the sheriff say? Am I detained?
BAILEY: Yes. She told me if you try to leave I'm supposed to stop you.
JACK: Oh? And how do you plan on doing that?
BAILEY: I haven't figured that out yet.


Now you are Bailey again.

> C) Bailey: Consider the implications about talking to characters you have read about, and try and bring up the subject of asking about their adventures, so you can see where in their timeline you appeared.

Talking to characters you've read about is trippy as hell. Even more so when it's a character you used to write really questionable fanfiction about.

BAILEY: So that was the Wizards Society you broke into, right?
JACK: I wouldn't say 'broke into.' More like. 'Entered without permission.'
BAILEY: And you stole a book?
JACK: You're just full of questions, aren't you?

The book theft, the flashback, and recovering in the Sheriff's basement all happens early on. It seems like you've arrived toward the beginning of things. In canon, it was the Sheriff who stayed with Jack. You're not sure how things will proceed now that you're here making things different.
>>
No. 583132 ID: 3562af
File 140469085113.png - (173.15KB , 993x799 , aq ch2 panel21.png )
583132

JACK: I'm going to leave now, if you don't mind.
BAILEY: I do mind. I promised the sheriff.
JACK: It's a bit foolish to make promises you can't keep.

You will keep that promise. For once you've felt like you're useful to someone, instead of a burden.

How will you prevent him from escaping?
A – reason with him. Things might still be exploding out there.
B – kick him
C – other (suggest)
>>
No. 583147 ID: c2b94d

A!
He's stronger than you, and also does nit need a cane. Tell him things are exploding and whatever you can think of. If that fails, plead. If that fails....tell him something that will make him listen. Something from the future, or from the past. Maybe about his ship, or him, or about who is attacking? You have effectively become an oracle here. use it.
>>
No. 583151 ID: ef7fd2

>>583132
>3: other
Buddy, you are a character in a book I like.
[supplant this with the knowledge you have of his plans after he got jailed, if applicable.]
Worst comes to worst, he doesnt believe you but thinks you are a SCARY PSYCHIC LADY
>>
No. 583155 ID: 24dc7a

First make sure to consider what he does at this point in the original story; if he goes out and saves some lives it might be best to give some advice and let him go. Otherwise go with >>583147

>You have effectively become an oracle here. use it.
Not quite, unless there is a 'fate' correcting for your involvement. Otherwise you have seen a future, which is still full of useful information but is already slightly inaccurate.
>>
No. 583156 ID: e31ca1

C: Cane, meet face!
>>
No. 583595 ID: 463c3d
File 140497681349.png - (159.13KB , 810x709 , aq ch2 panel22.png )
583595

> First make sure to consider what he does at this point in the original story; if he goes out and saves some lives it might be best to give some advice and let him go.

Any minute now the sheriff is going to discover that Gil has been kidnapped, and she'll come back here to recruit Jack to track down the pirates that kidnapped him. If Jack leaves now, it'll throw the whole story off course. You're pretty sure.

> A! 
He's stronger than you, and also does nit need a cane. Tell him things are exploding and whatever you can think of. If that fails, plead. If that fails....tell him something that will make him listen. Something from the future, or from the past. Maybe about his ship, or him, or about who is attacking? You have effectively become an oracle here. use it.

BAILEY: Do you know who it is that's attacking? It's Rooper and her crew. Do you really want to deal with that right now?

Captain Rooper has a reputation for cruelty and violence, and Jack has experienced it firsthand.
>>
No. 583596 ID: 463c3d
File 140497688085.png - (126.21KB , 765x621 , aq ch2 panel23.png )
583596

JACK: I'll take my chances.
BAILEY: You don't want to leave just yet. I know things.
>>
No. 583597 ID: 463c3d
File 140497699044.png - (261.62KB , 601x860 , aq ch2 panel24.png )
583597

JACK: As it happens, I already know someone who knows things, and I'm certain he's had a lot more practice at it than you, being very old and whatnot.
BAILEY: I know! His name's Bob and he lives outside of town and raises goats. Ask me anything, I can tell you. Your ship's called the Lady –
JACK: Lots of people know that stuff.
BAILEY: Um... You've got a big scar on your belly from a splinter wound!
>>
No. 583598 ID: 463c3d
File 140497720213.png - (264.68KB , 697x1265 , aq ch2 panel25.png )
583598

JACK: I think I know what's really going on here.

What does he think is going on here?? what???
what do you do
>>
No. 583601 ID: ef7fd2

>>583598
Shut him down.
"No, you dont, you blessed idiot. I'm not hitting on you right now, I am trying to guide you down the path you gotta take for things to turn out NOT TERRIBLE.
Which isnt to say I wouldn't be interested, but this is not the time or place for that. Now stop being an idiot and listen!"
>>
No. 583604 ID: a879c5

WHAT NO HE'S INTERESTED DON'T SHUT HIM DOWN THINK OF THE FANFICS
the sherrif is going to come soon anyway! Just ask 'what?'
>>
No. 583629 ID: 638a22

>What does he think is going on here?? what???
He's trying to use many pirate charms to get past you. Don't let him! You know he'll run as soon as you give him an opportunity.

Shut him down by telling him the most embarrassing thing you can about his childhood. That'll kill any flirting.
>>
No. 583996 ID: 5c2059
File 140522362659.png - (240.54KB , 869x911 , aq ch2 panel26.png )
583996

> He's trying to use many pirate charms to get past you. Don't let him! You know he'll run as soon as you give him an opportunity.
> Shut him down.

Right. Got to remain focused, keep your wits about you.

BAILEY: This is not the time nor the place, bucko.
JACK: I've got a ship and that ship has a cabin.
BAILEY: Give it a rest!
>>
No. 583997 ID: 5c2059
File 140522374890.png - (31.85KB , 381x507 , aq ch2 panel27.png )
583997

Fortunately at that moment the cellar door opens – it's the sheriff.

here is the ridiculous outfit that inspired the sheriff's: http://oi60.tinypic.com/2ufzvpu.jpg
As far as I can tell there was no official police uniform at the time so I guess she just....made her own uniform

>>
No. 583998 ID: 5c2059
File 140522392796.png - (289.60KB , 976x761 , aq ch2 panel28.png )
583998

BAILEY: Ha! I kept you from leaving! The charmer has become the charmed!
>>
No. 583999 ID: 5c2059
File 140522404196.png - (179.42KB , 766x805 , aq ch2 panel29.png )
583999

BAILEY: What happened?
SHERIFF: The pirates that attacked have kidnapped someone. Gil Herrero. He's a dear friend and a good man and – this shouldn't have happened. I should have stopped them...
BAILEY: You can't be everywhere at once.

She sighs.

SHERIFF: I suppose you're right.
>>
No. 584000 ID: 5c2059
File 140522415271.png - (339.14KB , 966x1431 , aq ch2 panel30.png )
584000

SHERIFF: Mr. Ward, I propose a deal. You help me track down the kidnappers, and the charges against you are dropped.
JACK: Who are the kidnappers?
SHERIFF: A pirate called Virginia Rooper, and her crew. I believe you are previously associated with them?
JACK: That's one way to put it. All right. If it means I don't have to hang or do anything similarly bothersome, I'll help you track them down.

if it seems like Jack's mimicking her... he is. because he's a dick.
>>
No. 584001 ID: 5c2059
File 140522432099.png - (168.28KB , 985x671 , aq ch2 panel31.png )
584001

BAILEY: I told you it was them.
JACK: Yes, and I didn't believe you.
BAILEY: Because you're a dingus.
JACK: What's a dingus?
BAILEY: Look in the mirror and you'll find out, dingus.
SHERIFF: What are you two bickering about?
JACK: Bailey here claims to be some sort of oracle. Personally, I'm rather doubtful.
BAILEY: Or maybe you're just embarrassed that I shot you down.
>>
No. 584002 ID: 5c2059
File 140522439344.png - (244.96KB , 896x571 , aq ch2 panel32.png )
584002

SHERIFF: An oracle? Hmm. Tell me something nobody could reasonably know.
BAILEY: Gil calls you “Ella” for short and you say that you hate it but secretly you think it's sweet.
SHERIFF: Interesting. Do you know where they've taken Gil?
JACK: I know a real oracle who could actually tell you where they've gone.
BAILEY: I know generally but I don't know how to get there. Jack's guy can tell you.
SHERIFF: Where is this oracle located?
JACK: Not far from here, we can walk.

END OF CHAPTER TWO
>>
No. 584003 ID: 5c2059
File 140522478549.png - (30.83KB , 929x413 , selection.png )
584003

SELECT CHARACTER

A - Sheriff Eleanor Luo
B - Jack Ward
C - Bailey Brown
D - Gil Herrero
>>
No. 584008 ID: 3152e1

A. Let's keep swapping around.
>>
No. 584012 ID: 24dc7a

C for now; the future knowledge bit has the most potential for trouble if used or explained wrong.
>>
No. 584020 ID: 707a11

>>584012
Let's trust that she's smart enough that we don't have to babysit her this whole quest.

D. Gil. Should be interesting.
>>
No. 584028 ID: 7c26f3

I have the softest spot and intense adoration for any kind of pirate - B! Let's chill a bit with jack.
>>
No. 585396 ID: 2d0c74
File 140606347073.png - (128.05KB , 747x610 , ch3 panel 1.png )
585396

JACK: So, tell me something. What exactly are you hanging around for? The sheriff's doing her job, I'm getting out of trouble. What are you getting out of this?
BAILEY: Uh. Adventure?
JACK: You'd risk your life for adventure?
BAILEY: You're questioning me? You live for adventure.
JACK: Fair enough.

You stop walking in front of a small house. Jack goes up to the front door and knocks.

BOB: Jack Ward! Come on in!
>>
No. 585397 ID: 2d0c74
File 140606351124.png - (189.89KB , 913x610 , ch3 panel2.png )
585397

JACK: I got the book you asked for.
BOB: Excellent. I knew you could do it.
JACK: That I did. I got in and out, and I was gone.
>>
No. 585398 ID: 2d0c74
File 140606356367.png - (179.82KB , 1394x670 , ch3 panel 3.png )
585398

BAILEY: Is that your approach to theft or your approach to courtship?
SHERIFF: You also left out the part where you immediately stumbled into my custody.
JACK: I'm so lucky I have you two here to make me look good.
BOB: Sheriff Luo! Pleasure to meet you. I knew you'd be coming.
SHERIFF: So I trust you know why we're here.
BOB: Yes. You want to know where they've taken Mr. Herrero. I'll draw you a map.
>>
No. 585400 ID: 2d0c74
File 140606360943.png - (417.86KB , 812x570 , ch3 panel4.png )
585400

There's a bunch of papers and a book open on the table and you take a look at them while the others are talking.
>>
No. 585401 ID: f84622

ooooh, do you remember anything about this?
does this verse have magic?
>>
No. 585403 ID: 6d21a2

A lot of that magic seems to be kind of like cookery. Lets remember not to pick a fight with any chefs :V
That soul page tickles my fate senses; maybe you could sneak a look at the next page?

>does this verse have magic?
Um, yeah. Jack just robbed a wizards' society to steal a book (which is probably itself stuffed with magic).
>>
No. 585406 ID: f84622

>>585403
i wish i knew where my brain was today...
well, in that case, yeah do the thing! you could say you were just REALLY curious about magic or something...
>>
No. 585408 ID: 2fd516

>>585400
Look at the full recipe that's covered by the small note.
>>
No. 585436 ID: 6d3b18

>You also left out the part where you immediately stumbled into my custody.
Hey, you still let him deliver the stolen goods. (No, don't actually point this out).
>>
No. 585518 ID: bc8bf1
File 140614319345.png - (188.03KB , 345x392 , ch3 panel5.png )
585518

> Look at the full recipe that's covered by the small note.

You move the note aside to examine the recipe. It says at the top that it's a “Good Luck Spell.” You're not really sure how putting some plants in a tin can would give anyone good luck.
>>
No. 585519 ID: bc8bf1
File 140614331110.png - (127.09KB , 960x400 , ch3 panel6.png )
585519

> That soul page tickles my fate senses; maybe you could sneak a look at the next page?

You go to turn the page and read on, but at that moment –

BOB: Gosh, this place is so messy, I really ought to clean up.

Bob grabs the book, and then it disappears with a small puff of smoke.

BOB: Are you interested in magic? I have a feeling you'd have a knack for it.
JACK: Don't you try to recruit her into your cult.
BOB: It's not a cult, it's an art and a science. You never seem to have a problem with magic when it's saving your hide.
>>
No. 585520 ID: 2fd516

>>585519
BECOME A WIZARD!
>>
No. 585574 ID: ccd544

Bailey, do you think you can predict where he'll be later after this and catch up with him? If yes, then this is good idea. If no, then that sucks, but go ahead and ask Jack if there's some time he knows where you could meet up with him later, if there is time.

Here is a script you could use either way:
>"Thanks for the offer, but, well..."
>*lean in and whisper* "...I have full futuresight for this guy's immediate life, and I want to make sure that I'm nearby enough to edit certain events to work more favorably. His fate is strong enough that the timestream is resilient to my presence, so i might have time to explain if you are interested..."
>*talk normal volume* "...but if there are any quick cantrips i could learn, or some basic magic theory, that would be cool. If I can even use magic, that is."
>>
No. 585586 ID: 6d3b18

I might have an interest (you wouldn't read those books if you didn't). I have a knack? Really?
[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [Last 100 posts]

Delete post []
Password  
Report post
Reason