[Burichan] [Futaba] [Nice] [Pony]  -  [WT]  [Home] [Manage]

Report completed threads!

[Catalog View] :: [Archive] :: [Graveyard] :: [Rules] :: [Discussions] :: [Wiki]

[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [Last 100 posts]
Posting mode: Reply
Name
Email
Subject   (reply to 915572)
Message
File []
Embed   Help
Password  (for post and file deletion)
  • Supported file types are: GIF, JPG, MP3, MP4, PNG, SWF, WEBM
  • Maximum file size allowed is 20000 KB.
  • Images greater than 250x250 pixels will be thumbnailed.
  • Currently 3926 unique user posts. View catalog

File 154614980080.jpg - (461.25KB , 940x1293 , 1309836_large.jpg )
915572 No. 915572 ID: b0e767

You are a QUEEN, sent off into space by your mother because after 567 years under her rule, the hive that you called home was under threat, as the planet underneath it was beginning to crack apart. To ensure the continuation of your race, she launched 5 seed ships, each with a gestating queen larva, 25 drone eggs, and 100 worker eggs within, ready to set up a new hive. Now, near the end of your journey, you finally emerge as an infant queen, and you have become psionically linked with both the eggs and the seed ship.

As you are awake, you can pick the ship's final destination. Looking through the ship's psionic senses--dear Queen this stuff is complicated--you find that there are 3 planets in the system you can reach with the seed ship's current amount of energy. Apparently your mother has already planned your journey out, as the Seed Ship already has memories on what the planets are like.

>Planet 1
+Abundant with life, which means more BIOMASS
+No recognizable sapient beings
+Breathable atmosphere
-Various forms of megafauna roam the planet, could very easily overwhelm your fledgling hive
-There is an unknown, very large heat signature that seems to be coming from a large portion of the planet's crust. If you didn't know any better, you would say it's a living creature, but that's impossible, nothing can grow that large.

>Planet 2
+Covered in liquid water, with various aquatic lifeforms infesting the planet beneath
+Gives off some kind of radiation, indicating that there is some kind of power source down there
-...That radiation means there was likely some form of sapient life on the planet, and colonizing it would violate the Laws of the Hive if it still lives there.

>Planet 3
+Covered in large metal structures you would be able to cannibalize for your colony to grow on--your mother would have killed to have more metal, if only to be able to support larger creatures in the hive.
+Underground plants mean biomass in easily defensible locations
-Unfortunately, the reason why the plants are underground is because the planet's surface is incredibly hot. Your creatures can withstand it for a little while, but without specialized adaptations they will quickly die of damage caused by UV radiation.

(Choose a planet to land on)
Expand all images
>>
No. 915573 ID: 40df11

Ooooh that's a tricky one. I'd going to have to say Planet 1 though, to make godzilla bugs.
>>
No. 915574 ID: 080aaf

Are those Laws of the Hive based on practicality, or morality?
Jump right into the deep end on Planet 1.
>>
No. 915575 ID: 094652

Planet 3 - It's a niche. Go claim it.
>>
No. 915576 ID: 10c408

Planet 1 sounds like a ticking time bomb and plantet 3 sounds fine in theory, personally I'm gonna go with planet 2.

Given that you sent off into deep space to prevent what sounds like extinction, anyone that's going to enforce hive law can get stuffed. We water adaptation now.
>>
No. 915578 ID: fe4f01

I want planet 2 but if their are sapient beings their... well that's a mess I rather avoid all together truth be told. Soooo...

>Planet 1
good starting point and the other 2 worlds will still be in system for us to use later right?
>>
No. 915579 ID: b0e767

>>915574
>>915576
The Law of the Hives is an unshiftable set of guiding principles coded into the DNA of each QUEEN, such that it can never be violated. It is as such.
1) You, the QUEEN, will never interfere in the development of a sapient civilization.
2) You, the QUEEN, will always seek to preserve and protect relics of the PROGENITORs.
3) Aside from the previous two directives, you, the QUEEN, are free to choose your own path as long as it benefits the HIVE as a whole.
>>
No. 915581 ID: b0e767

>>915578
If you can reverse engineer the adaptations that allowed your seedship to function in the vacuum of space, you can begin using space travel.
>>
No. 915582 ID: 91ee5f

>>915572
Planet 1
>>
No. 915595 ID: 5b93d3

>>915572
Planet 3. As long as a route underground can be found or made before the heat becomes intolerable, it's a safe place to start raising a strong new hive. And the abundant metal allows for the other planets to be visited in time.
>>
No. 915596 ID: d31fab

I'm partial to Planet 3, but I'll choose PLANET 1.
>>
No. 915604 ID: 9423c9

>Planet 1
>>
No. 915605 ID: f505e7

Id go with 3
>>
No. 915608 ID: 11f77a

Planet 1 and learn to domesticate the megafauna! Just be wary of the heat signature and start your colony out of its way.
>>
No. 915610 ID: b21689

>Planet 1
>>915573
>>915574
>>915578
>>915582
>>915596
>>915604
>>915608

>Planet 2
>>915576

>Planet 3
>>915575
>>915595
>>915605

Voting Ends when one option has 5 more votes then the next competitor
>>
No. 915628 ID: 977456

Are the planets close enough for coherent radio transmissions? Because if we can't steal their entertainment and troll them with our best impression of being fake aliens on their internet then life just isn't worth living.
"Hurp Derp. We R in ur dwellin's, probin' yur bodies."
"Beep boop. I is alien overlords. Ur Tech is trash. Beep boop."
Just... Don't use a webcam...
Planet three if interplanetary trolling is viable. Two otherwise.
>>
No. 915652 ID: b0e767

>>915628
While your seed ship has the ability to receive transmissions, it is not equipped to send them nor do you have any idea on where to begin on the front, an indication of how complicated the involved bio technology would be. It would require dedicated research to discover a way to send radio waves, and would not be very fruitful compared to the instantaneous communication of the psionic link.
>>
No. 915884 ID: 0c3c2c

>>915652
Okay, clearly we need to figure out how to befriend a civilization without interfering in their development. We should look into disguises and cultural mimesis to allow social interaction so we don't die of boredom.

Planet 1 by the way.
>>
No. 916015 ID: 977456

>>915628
Revising vote to planet one, to avoid terrible terrible thing.
>>
No. 916022 ID: b0e767

>>916015
>>915884
>>915608
>>915604
>>915596
>>915582
>>915578
>>915574
>>915573
Choice Locked: Planet One. Writing has commenced.
>>
No. 916025 ID: b0e767
File 154650228254.jpg - (64.04KB , 870x668 , 86c340e5a1a2ae1b268926d40da579e2.jpg )
916025

The ship lands - although it feels more like a crash - on the first planet you encounter, far away from the abnormal heat signature you detected from orbit. You land in an area with sparse vegetation, free-standing seaweed like plants that wave in the wind. Giant flying reptilian creatures twice your size tear through the skies, seeking smaller avian creatures that travel in swarms as prey. On the ground, there isn't much that is feasible for food, with most of the wildlife being smaller insects about the size of a dog and a reptilian megafauna that has just detected about 5 miles to the east, but there is a stream in that direction. Alternatively, you're pretty sure you can detect an aquifer below you, but it will take some time to dig.

As soon as you emerge, the ship combines with your queen cup and forms a cradle for the eggs it was carrying, attaching itself to your back so you can carry the future colony with you. You judge that the eggs will hatch in about a day, so you need to find food and water before then.

You have 24 hours until the eggs hatch.
>Scavenge the flora and see if it's edible. (4 hours)
>Try and kill a large flier and see if it's edible. (4 hours, chance of complications that extend it to 8 hours)
>Try and kill a small flier and see if it's edible. (2 hours)
>Head for the stream without alerting the megafauna (5 hours)
>Study the megafauna for weaknesses (2 hours)
>Dig down to the aquifer (4 hours)
>Begin preparing the colony (1 hour, can be repeated multiple times, get a bonus on the first few turns)
>>
No. 916026 ID: fe4f01

>Dig down to the aquifer (4 hours)
>>
No. 916028 ID: 094652

>Study the megafauna for weaknesses.
If you get caught while scavenging, you're going to want an exit strategy. After you're done studying, do the aquifier thing.
>>
No. 916029 ID: 080aaf

Study the megafauna. Their biological uniqueness shall be added to our own. Resistance is futile!
>>
No. 916030 ID: 556258

>Scavenge the flora and see if it's edible. (4 hours)
Agriculture!
>>
No. 916034 ID: 40df11

Dig to the aquifer. You want a hideyhole for if things go wrong.
>>
No. 916035 ID: 91ee5f

>>916025
Dig down to the aquifer (4 hours)
>>
No. 916038 ID: f505e7

dig down
>>
No. 916056 ID: 50ff83

>Study the megafauna for weaknesses (2 hours)
>>
No. 916058 ID: a9af05

>>916025
Dig to the aquifer.
>>
No. 916102 ID: 977456

1>Begin preparing the colony.
5>Scavenge the flora and see if it's edible.
6>Begin preparing the colony.
14(10?)>Try and kill a large flier and see if it's edible.
15>Begin preparing the colony.
17>Study the megafauna for weaknesses.
18>Begin preparing the colony.
22>Dig down to the aquifer.
24>Study the mega-stygofauna for weaknesses.
24+> more prep?
The aquifer should suffice for long enough to get established, so long as their isn't anything too dangerous living in it.
Curses! I seem to have stuffed up The Konami Code. Maybe it needs more colony prep...
>>
No. 916898 ID: 2007b6

See if anything comes to mess with you while you're digging toward the aquifer. Might get a free meal that way. Once water is secured, hunt one of the big fliers. Analysis of the contents of it's digestive system should provide intel on the rest of the food chain. If the big fliers are sufficiently edible, spend all remaining time preparing the colony.
>>
No. 916990 ID: b0e767

>>916026
>>916034
>>916038
>>916035
>>916898
Digging to the Aquifer (4 hours) Chosen. Vote locked. Decided to change the need vote gap to 3 to save time. Let me know if you think that's too short.
>>
No. 917065 ID: a9af05

>>916990
>Changed the vote gap to 3
Yeah, that's probably better.
>>
No. 917333 ID: b0e767
File 154727991203.jpg - (114.00KB , 1024x675 , cave-2-1024x675.jpg )
917333

>>916990
It takes you three hours to dig a hole to the aquifer with your All Purpose mandibles, which is as expected for what they were made for. You nearly fall into an underground cavern once your tunnel breaches the natural one made by the rushing water a few meters below - when you detected water, you had expected the aquifer to have originated from the above ground stream, but now you realize there must be a second branch of it that went below the surface. Your purpose here concluded, you mark the location of your long tunnel in your eidetic memory and begin the journey back topside.

You have 20 hours until the eggs hatch; you have secured water without needing an extraction mechanic due to a high roll in exploring the aquifer. You still need food.
>Scavenge the flora and see if it's edible. (4 hours)
>Try and kill a large flier and see if it's edible. (4 hours, chance of complications that extend it to 8 hours)
>Try and kill a small flier and see if it's edible. (2 hours)
>Head for the stream without alerting the megafauna (5 hours)
>Study the megafauna for weaknesses (2 hours)
>Dig down to the aquifer (4 hours)
>Begin preparing the colony (1 hour, can be repeated multiple times, get a bonus on the first few turns)
>>
No. 917337 ID: 340d1c

>Scavenge the flora and see if it's edible. (4 hours)
>>
No. 917340 ID: ad51b8

>Try and kill a small flier and see if it's edible. (2 hours)
got water, now to see if we can't grab some food
>>
No. 917342 ID: 080aaf

>Study the megafauna for weaknesses
>>
No. 917348 ID: 977456

>Study the megafauna for weaknesses
It seems like a good time for scouting.
>>
No. 917354 ID: 094652

>Study the megafauna for weaknesses
Like I said, exit strategy before you dive right into the smorgasbord of food.
>>
No. 917363 ID: 91ee5f

>>917333
Study the megafauna for weaknesses (2 hours)

Once we find a weakness, it’ll be easier to kill them and most likely reduce the time spent on trying to kill them.
>>
No. 917365 ID: 2007b6

Try to kill a large flier. Near-apex predator is more likely to give you good data about the whole food chain via stomach contents, and getting the risky part over with first puts us in a better position for managing remaining time.
>>
No. 917392 ID: b0e767

>>917342
>>917348
>>917354
>>917363
Study the Megafauna (2 hours), chosen. Writing
>>
No. 920715 ID: cbdfa8

What should we go for after this?
>>
No. 920750 ID: 977456

Depends upon the results. If megas are super-fun, then we go play with them. If not, then... "Operation Turtle-up Forever! The Sun is Lava!" goes into effect and we learn how to live off of worms.
[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [Last 100 posts]

Delete post []
Password  
Report post
Reason