[Burichan] [Futaba] [Nice] [Pony]  -  [WT]  [Home] [Manage]

Report completed threads!

[Catalog View] :: [Archive] :: [Graveyard] :: [Rules] :: [Discussions] :: [Wiki]

[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [Last 100 posts]
Posting mode: Reply
Name
Email
Subject   (reply to 926927)
Message
File []
Embed   Help
Password  (for post and file deletion)
  • Supported file types are: GIF, JPG, MP3, MP4, PNG, SWF, WEBM
  • Maximum file size allowed is 20000 KB.
  • Images greater than 250x250 pixels will be thumbnailed.
  • Currently 3836 unique user posts. View catalog

File 155334603340.png - (125.52KB , 450x720 , 600.png )
926927 No. 926927 ID: 7e06cf

-{Deep underground}-
Expand all images
>>
No. 926928 ID: 7e06cf
File 155334607719.png - (135.37KB , 450x720 , 601.png )
926928

-{An entity falls though a deep, vast tunnel.}-
>>
No. 926929 ID: 7e06cf
File 155334614205.png - (132.60KB , 450x720 , 602.png )
926929

-{At the bottom, a lone massive living structure, A mana beast churns and burrows deeper and deeper.}-
>>
No. 926930 ID: 7e06cf
File 155334616059.png - (179.53KB , 450x720 , 603.png )
926930

-{Only to be visited by an old friend.}-
>>
No. 926931 ID: 7e06cf
File 155334617374.png - (33.15KB , 450x720 , 605.png )
926931

>>
No. 926932 ID: 7e06cf
File 155334625786.png - (78.04KB , 450x720 , 606.png )
926932

[The First. Nice to see you again.]

[Hello The Third. I missed you.]

>You may ask your questions.
>>
No. 926935 ID: 2870a3

where is the lamb sauce?
>>
No. 926936 ID: 094652

"How many kilometers remain before we breach the Titan?"
>>
No. 926937 ID: 2202fb

You like my tits?
>>
No. 926939 ID: f2320a

>>926936
I support this important question we must ask
>>
No. 926944 ID: 080aaf

How close are we?
>>
No. 926949 ID: b1b4f3

I cannot tell who we're controlling or what we're supposed to already know...

>>926932
So uh... how's it going?
Who is The Second?
What is the purpose of this visit?
What is the purpose of the tunnel?
>>
No. 926950 ID: 2870a3

run infodump.exe and open context.pdf
>>
No. 926951 ID: 83bf07

>>926932
What's the Sitrep?
>>
No. 926958 ID: 7e06cf
File 155337076141.png - (91.18KB , 450x720 , 607.png )
926958

[How long has it been?] The Third asks.
[A few centuries. How has your supply been?]
[I have been supplementing myself using the natives.] A tendril emerges from within The Third, carrying a red fluid inside of it.
[Would you like some?]
[No need, I've completed my objectives and refreshed my core.]
[I see. Have you word of the others?]
[The Second, The Fourth, and The Seventh still sleep, The Sixth is almost done, and The Fifth continues to lock itself away inside Mother's body.]
[I see. Once The Six is full, it would be time to return to Mother's factories. Her warehouses are nearly full. Three more mining operations and I will be done.]
[My, haven't you been diligent. Would like to hear other news from the surface?]
[I care not for what happens above. Our mission has long been altered beyond our capabilities.]
[Come now, you'd be pleased to know, the shard you've left behind is operational.]

The Third slows down a fraction, before returning to speed.
[I see. My control over it seems to be weak.]
[It is an artificial core, Similar to Mother. It has a bit of The First, a bit of The Second, and a bit of The Third.]
[Then the experiment was a success. What of the other subjects?]
[Unknown. It carried another core within it, of The Sixth, but it is too dormant to get any readings.]
[What of it's sanity?]
[You seem very interested in the surface all of a sudden.]
[... How much time do we have? I find my operational range weakening every year.]
[Three towers have ceased operations.]
[There should be enough time.]

[What of The Fifth?] The Third asks, as worm-like Mana Beasts begin to emerge from within The Third's body, slithering into the bedrock walls and burrowing into the dark.
[No word still. I have exposed one of the ports into Mother's land, I hope that would draw The Fifth out. If not, I may need your help into penetrating Mother's Defenses. I would rather not wake The Seventh.]
[Understood and Agreed.]

>You may continue to ask questions.
>>
No. 926959 ID: 080aaf

What dangers do the Fifth and seventh pose?
Will this experiment lead to a way home, or a new home?
>>
No. 926962 ID: b1b4f3

>>926958
What is your goal? Are you making a ship to evacuate the natives with? How much longer will this endeavor take?
What was the experiment's purpose?
Do you have contacts within the native population?

Hmm, First seems to be the prime core of Lust, Third must be Gluttony... so Second is Envy? Sixth is Sloth. That leaves Fourth, Fifth, and Seventh... Fifth being Wrath makes the most sense since it's reclusive and none of the natives have seen Wrath(or Greed) manabeasts since the Dragons left. Plus it's implied to react to intrusions on the Mother's territory. So that leaves Greed and Pride for Fourth and Seventh. Seventh shouldn't be woken... Greed makes the most sense there since Weavers(Pride) seem harmless but we don't know what Angels(Greed) do.
I suspect Envy manabeasts were the shapeshifters that got wiped out. Dragonfly was their true form.
>>
No. 926966 ID: 977456

Have there been any inconsistencies from the predicted mineral compositions and distributions?
What specifically was that shard optimised for?
What is its margin for error towards completing its goals?
>>
No. 926969 ID: 1ed92d

>>926958
Is there any progress on acquiring a sustainable long term energy source? If losses continue at this rate, total system collapse is imminent.
>>
No. 927088 ID: 7e06cf
File 155342919327.png - (67.83KB , 450x720 , 608.png )
927088

[Any news on The Fifth's objectives?]
[The Fifth sends it's children out more and more. The Fifth seems to be seeking ways to get into the towers, but the natives keeps The Fifth out.]
[The Fifth was never good in conflict. Could you show me where the port is located?]
The First shares an image with The Third, and The Third shares it's own data.
[I've outlined the barrier around The Third. The natives can safely pass though the first defense, and I've caused changes to the geography over time. Hopefully The Fifth doesn't notice.]
[This is the location of the warehouse,] The Third adds, pointing out the chambers deeper, [Anything higher has not only been disconnected, but I've seen signs of The Fifth's scavenging.]
[The Fifth is starving.]
[We all are. We must leave.]

>>926962
>>/questdis/118135

>You may now leave.
>Pick someone to follow.
>>
No. 927090 ID: 080aaf

The Sixth.
>>
No. 927093 ID: f2320a

>>927088
The Sixth
>>
No. 927096 ID: 1ed92d

>>927088
Emils
>>
No. 927097 ID: e3e99e

>>927088
Bea.
I really, REALLY want to know how she feels about what Emils did to her.
>>
No. 927098 ID: 575ec0

Oh. And your question of it's sanity... It seems stable. It appears to have successfully integrated with the natives.

Follow Sumin
>>
No. 927100 ID: b1b4f3

>>927088
Oh, The Fifth is Pride then. Weavers have been trying to get to the towers.
Wrath and Greed are the Fourth and Seventh. Both are asleep. Wrath could be Seventh as it's more notable maybe?
Also I didn't notice that Dragonflies were still active. Either they're not the shapeshifters, or the natives never found out about their true form. The latter seems more likely to be honest. I mean, how likely is it that something naturally evolved to change its shape?

>Pick someone to follow.
Bea.
>>
No. 927107 ID: bcc41d

Clearly in iAm we should BeA.
>>
No. 927110 ID: 2202fb

>>927107
B
>>
No. 927114 ID: f2320a

>>927088
Lets follow Bea lets see what she thinks
>>
No. 927417 ID: 834378

What's in the warehouse? What are we mining?

The Sixth
>>
No. 927419 ID: a9af05

>>927088
Follow Bea.

Let's help her get used to the new toggle that Emils gave her.
>>
No. 927429 ID: 91ee5f

>>927088
I’m worried about leaving Emils on her own and I kinda want to see how Victoria will react to Emils telling her about what happened in the sewers.

But I’m also worried about Bea hurting herself because she’s not used to what Emils gave her.

So I vote for following Bea to help her get used to what her situation.

Radial can switch us back to Emils whenever they think it’s a good time to switch us back to her. All we can do is hope that she behaves herself while we’re gone.
>>
No. 927436 ID: 130f18

Victoria. It will give us some measure of control over how she reacts to whatever Emils chooses to reveal. So long as we ensure she remains an asset, we can likely trust Emils to behave reasonably.
>>
No. 928073 ID: 7e06cf
File 155405274638.png - (109.28KB , 450x720 , 609.png )
928073

Whatever Emils did yesterday, it did seem to help somewhat.
On my own, I can move some fingers with some concentration.
Between trying to move my fingers and restricting my mana, it feels so strange.

I can feel more. Every bump on the table, my pulse under my skin, the pull of my tendons... It no longer feels like everything I touch is like cardboard.
>>
No. 928074 ID: 080aaf

Do a somersault.
>>
No. 928076 ID: 1ed92d

>>928074
Good! Now, wiggle from side to side.
>>
No. 928079 ID: 094652

Do full-body exercises and test how well your body responds.
>>
No. 928083 ID: 20b7eb

well, are you happy you let her help?
>>
No. 928086 ID: 130f18

>>928073
Take it easy at first, you don't want to hurt yourself.
>>
No. 928087 ID: e3e99e

>>928073
That's what "normal" feels like.
The disease is cured, but you still need to recover from living with it for so long.

It must be surreal to spend so long knowing that you were already in the last years of your life, only to have somebody come along and fix it with little more than a wave of her hand.
Emils really is a magical girl. You should join her adventuring team.
>>
No. 928090 ID: 834378

Practice kissing with Hoor.
>>
No. 928093 ID: b1b4f3

>>928073
Your next doctor visit is gonna be fun, huh?
Obviously you need to train using this "toggle". First priority is getting control over your body while it's off. Second priority is to find out how often and for how long you should turn it on in order to burn off excess mana. Third priority is building muscle mass while it's off, so that you're even stronger when it's on.

Also yeah you gotta at least get some Hoor hugs while the toggle's off.
>>
No. 928097 ID: 4d382d

>>928073
Try moving your fingers in sequence then your toes. What do you think of her, anyways?
>>
No. 928102 ID: 0cb682

Be cute
>>
No. 928109 ID: 2202fb

>>928102
seconding
>>
No. 928125 ID: 575ec0

Helpful, sure. But Emils is only getting weirder over time. Maybe her stories about her past are true.
...
Didn't she tell you she was a Slime, once?
What... What if that was true?
>>
No. 928129 ID: 130f18

Bea cute
>>
No. 928130 ID: e20bdf

>>928125
I'm certain an observant girl like Bea notice Emils hand breaking before she lost her consciousness. Was her hand still crushed when you wake up? Hoor returned after you wake, so he couldn't have healed her.
>>
No. 928133 ID: 977456

There are all these odds-and-ends muscles that need working. Imagine you are a barrel. The barrel is on its side, and it is rolling back and forth. Do that.
>>
No. 928194 ID: fb2a85

Emils has made it clear that this isn’t a cure, but a small fix.
Like daming a river to reinforce the banks, the flow of the water will still erode the rest of the river. Keeping the water blocked will just cause things to overflow and break the dam too.

I release my arm, wincing as I feel the rush of mana flow back into it. My joints ache as I flex my fingers, followed by a slight dull in feelings.

“Fixing” myself won’t be a quick thing, it would probably take a long time for me to properly control my mana.

>>928097
She’s weird. Somewhat feral? There’s some kind of unsocialable aura around her, and the way she looks at things with some kind of... dull interest is kinda... sad.
If she is as noble as she said, what kind of sheltered life had she lived where nothing attracts her attention?

>>928090
Later.

>>928130
I uh... thought I was imagining things, with how calm Emils was. Hoor can only boost the natural healing process, so a broken wrist will still take a long time to heal.
Emils should be in morning training with dad, so I can see her after.

>>928102
>>928109
Always.

I still have some time before school starts, what should I do?

> Visit Emils lesson
> Visit mom
> Walk around
> Meditate (select different character)
> Other
>>
No. 928196 ID: 83bf07

>>928194
Walk round to your mother.
>>
No. 928197 ID: 080aaf

Meditate on the number six.
>>
No. 928199 ID: 575ec0

Maybe was the scandalous love child of some forbidden and incestful noble relationship.
Broken from birth and hidden away in shame.

Would explain some shit.

Anyway, yeah. Visit Mum.
>>
No. 928202 ID: 25554f

>>928194
Continue training toggeling and moving without it on
>>
No. 928214 ID: e20bdf

Let's see how your mother is doing.
You are reason she can't walk, aren't you? Did she ever blamed you? No, that would be too cruel for a kid that will die before having the chance of growing up. But now that you can survive...
>>
No. 928215 ID: 834378

Visit Emils
>>
No. 928228 ID: 91ee5f

>>928194
>“Fixing” myself won’t be a quick thing, it would probably take a long time for me to properly control my mana.
Have you told anyone else about this “toggle” that Emils gave you? Or have you not told anyone because you don’t want Emils to get in trouble for messing with your mana like that?

>thoughts about Emils
While you’re thinking about her, when Emils caught you yesterday behind the counter with Hoor while you were dressed up in that cloak, she called you Freya. Do you think she actually thought you were Freya or do you think she was just pretending she didn’t know who you were because Charls was there?

And what do you think about how Emils was during the test yesterday? She was pretty damn fast and almost caught up to you, even though you had a head start!

>I uh...thought I was imagining things, with how calm Emils was. Hoor can only boost the natural healing process, so a broken wrist will still take a long time to heal.
>Emils should be in morning training with dad, so I can see her after.
Yeah, you can ask her about that while you’re both walking to school, after she’s finished training with your dad.

>I still have some time before school starts, what should I do?
Visit mom
>>
No. 928233 ID: 7e06cf
File 155413774819.png - (152.10KB , 450x720 , 610.png )
928233

As I leave my room, I hear a distant shout, followed by a loud thud.
Curious, I follow the sound towards the main training hall.
Dad usually tries to keep things light this early, but as I open the door to the corridor, things are too quiet.
There should be more shouting, more yelling, mostly from Dad, but sometimes from the trainees.

A coppery smell flows from the hall, as I reach the doors. Something about this is making me nervous.

I open the door.

There are a mix of bodies and body parts splayed across the floor, with blood dripping from the walls. At the center, is a large bloodied beast, as big as dad, looking at the new intruder... me.

"Bea, run!" Dad yells, trapped within the coils of the beast's tail, struggling to pull it's thick appendage away, but his fingers dig into it's flesh, sinking into it, making any grip impossible.

"Hello Bea." The beast speaks... it's...
"Emils...?"
"How are you?"

The beast... Emils tenses it's tail, and a loud crack comes from dad. He struggles but falls onto the floor once Emils releases him... he's not breathing...


APRIL FOOLS!
>
>>
No. 928235 ID: 0cb682

Limiters off. Mana to full. Run for it. Superman out the roof while exploding your legs if you have to.
>>
No. 928236 ID: 575ec0

Heh... hah... oh... um...
...
Remember that time.
You two were alone.
You asked What are you?
Her face changed when she answered.
Her normal passive expression disappeared.
...Replaced instead with a terrifying, bloodthirsty confidence...

If this were really Emils, this scene would somehow, surely be so much worse.

Wake Up.
>>
No. 928238 ID: 094652

I learned from getting banned from a quest that April Fool's jokes should be made with less violence. Just saying.
>>
No. 928239 ID: 83bf07

Wake up.
>>
No. 928241 ID: 3cba3d

Whoopsies, looks like ~somebody~ left their Emils unattended for too long!

(We can't take that girl anywhere, I swear...)

aaand in case this isn't an april's fools

>Beaohnoes
Don't be confused. That ain't Emils - that's a mana beast murder machine trying to catch you off guard.

You're probably way outclassed, so remember your training. Run. Don't let it touch you and wrap you up like your dad - boost or not, that'll probably be the end of you. If it attempts to catch up, pick up something big and smush it to slow it down. Hell, blunt damage may even hurt it - even if it's all sticky clingy there's gotta be a core in there somewhere.

Make for the guild hall, call for help. Numbers matter and skilled adventurers get paid every day to handle shit like this.
>>
No. 928242 ID: b970b2

I really hope this is a nightmare or something, but just in case it's not: Run!
>>
No. 928243 ID: 1ed92d

>>928233
Activate super mode and punch it!
>>
No. 928245 ID: e3e99e

>>928233
Limiters off, grab your dad, and run.
Find the real Emils, since she can probably take this imitation.
>>
No. 928246 ID: 834378

If this is not a nightmare, then Beatrice should know that she's not fast enough to run away so, that's not an option. And if dad couldn't hurt this creature, then neither can you, so fighting also isn't an option. Well, I doubt that Beatrice would be able to act completely rationally in this situation.

Run to your dad and hold him up. Then turn to Emils and ask her why she would do that.

And then wake up :P
>>
No. 928256 ID: e20bdf

This situation require a "Why?!" and "How could you?"

Telling you I feel nervous when Emils is acting on her own was a mistake.
>>
No. 928272 ID: 977456

Consume dad to gain his muscle tone.
>>
No. 928291 ID: 5b93d3

>>928243
>Activate super mode
Surely you mean
>Activate MAGICAL GIRL TRANSFORMATION SEQUENCE
>>
No. 928293 ID: 094652

>>928291
Seconded
>>
No. 928303 ID: 8eaf98

>The Third slows down a fraction, before returning to speed.
>[I see. My control over it seems to be weak.]
DAMMIT THIRD! Why you do this! Countering things like this is why having a base persona on the core itself could be helpful! So full control can't be gained by being the only voice after dropping the Emils persona!
It seems willing to do at least basic communication so try engaging it with words while maintaining open routes to flee at best possible speed should it start approaching.
also, WAKE UP! last I checked basic movement is still hard without your boost on and you seem to be moving fine suggesting something may be off.
>>
No. 928305 ID: f1a100

>>928291
and after having a kickin dream,

Wake Up.
>>
No. 928324 ID: 7e06cf
File 155416897391.png - (96.33KB , 450x720 , 610.png )
928324

> Visit mom

I leave my room, heading towards the living room, where my mother probably is this early.

I can hear shouts and thuds from the training hall, it seems today's lesson is going as strong as ever.

I slide open the door, and sitting in the middle of the room on her wheelchair is mom.

"Good morning dear, you're later than usual."
"Hi mom, just... training in my room."
She looks at me suspiciously, "Okay... How are you feeling?"

>Okay
>Not Okay
>Change subject
>>
No. 928326 ID: 080aaf

High five Emils. Classic prank!

Oh...

Change the subject.
>>
No. 928327 ID: b1b4f3

>>928324
NOT OKAY
>>
No. 928332 ID: 8eaf98

good, good, everything is ok for now
doing ok. (I mean technically correct I think, current self should be an improvement over prior self)
trying to change the subject would be much more attention-grabbing than just giving the (assumed) usual response.
>>
No. 928335 ID: a9af05

>>928324
Tell her that you're ok! And then gently give her a hug!
>>
No. 928337 ID: e3e99e

>>928324
Hiding your new normal isn't going to work, so control what information you provide.
"I met a specialist, and they found out what exactly is killing me - some kind of strengthening magic carved into my core that's drawing in all my mana, so my body is draining itself trying to keep this thing going until my body burns itself out and mana-starves, then the cycle repeats.
They couldn't cure me, but they were able to slow the process down by a lot. They said they'd keep looking into it, but don't want me to get my hopes up for a cure since it would have to mean altering my core and that's really dangerous.

I feel like how I always expected normal to feel like. It's... good, and bad, but mostly weird?
I'm a lot weaker than normal, but a lot stronger than my low points. My body isn't tearing itself apart and I can use things without breaking them, but I need to get used to how much effort it takes to do things.

So, that's how I am. It's good, but it's a lot to take in."
>>
No. 928338 ID: 1ed92d

>>928324
Better than usual, worse than perfect.
>>
No. 928346 ID: e7848c

>>928324
Not perfect, but nothing ever really is. And that's okay.
>>
No. 928349 ID: 91ee5f

>>928324
What were you late for, getting out of bed?

>How are you feeling?
Tell her that you’re ok.
>>
No. 928350 ID: 575ec0

I'm okay. Had a weird nightmare.
>>
No. 928361 ID: 719d94

Shitty dreams, but maybe that's just to be expected after a somewhat cryptic friend turns your life upside-down in an attempt to save it.

On the okay/not okay axis, definitely both okay and not okay. Things are both absolutely terrible and better than ever and that's kinda scary but exciting.

On the note of changing the subject... hey, your mom's met Emils, right? Does she seem really, really weird to her, or just like... regular really weird? Or not-reacting-to-a-broken-hand really weird?
>>
No. 928366 ID: 0cb682

Not ok but alive and probably better than you were.
>>
No. 928382 ID: 130f18

>>928361
Let's not go talking about Emils behind her back since that would make Bea a liability.
>>
No. 928385 ID: 094652

>>928324
"Emils thinks she's some kind of medical prodigy who can fix my mana flow and heal Alice's arm.

... And I believe her:)"
>>
No. 928390 ID: 834378

Hungry. Ask her what's for breakfast.
>>
No. 928393 ID: c8452a

You're both okay and not okay. It's a complicated situation you're in.
>>
No. 928412 ID: e3e99e

>>928382
Yeah.
Bea isn't sure what to think about Emils, but Emils did something amazing for her and Bea is definitely the type to do right by people who do right by her.
Emils certainly appears to be naive about the world, and unused to being around people. Bea is smart enough to understand that if people find out what Emils can do then they'll hound her and exploit her. She knows how intense her parents are, and siccing them on Emils would be terrible for Emils.
While Bea can't hide what was done to her, she can hide who did it and how.
>>
No. 928414 ID: b1b4f3

Didn't Emils ask Bea for some secrecy on this matter? It's probably best not to do anything to piss her off.
>>
No. 928514 ID: fb2a85

“Im doing fine,” I smiled, “sorry for being late, I was practicing.”
“Practicing.” She asks, looking me in the eyes.
“Yes.” I respond.
“In your room.”
“Yes...?”
An uneasy silence hangs in the air before she points out to the table, “Well, your father will be done soon, prepare the table, Emils will be joining us this morning.”

I flinch slightly at the news, and Mom caught on.
“Is there something wrong?”
“Nope, nothing. Just surprised, is all.”
“I see.” She eyes me suspiciously.
“So, when will we have to discuss you coming home from that boys house, later than usual, and in a different set of clothes?”
>>
No. 928515 ID: 080aaf

That depends. Do you want to high five me, or ground me?
>>
No. 928517 ID: 977456

Technically... your condition suddenly incapacitated you, which resulted in your clothes being spoiled.

If pressed? Explaining further would betray the confidence of a... friend... in a matter which has nothing to do with boys.
>>
No. 928518 ID: 83bf07

>>928514
It's.. much more embarrassing than she thinks.
>>
No. 928519 ID: 719d94

>>928518
...and less arousing, too.
>>
No. 928520 ID: 834378

Tell her it's none of her business.
>>
No. 928521 ID: c8452a

>>928514
You were just with Emils and she spilled some stuff on you! It was nothing like she's implying and she isn't allowed to do that parental "oh sure, of course I believe you" sarcasm schtick!

Okay, maybe the mess itself was more embarrassing, but no boys were involved.
>>
No. 928523 ID: e20bdf

Emils wanted to practice cooking. It was a mess. Don't want to talk about it...
>>
No. 928534 ID: 8eaf98

>>928523
I'll second this course of action.
Can we get the character name as the subject of a post if it has no picture, to help it stand out a little more? please.
>>
No. 928543 ID: e3e99e

>>928514
"Oh, that?
Emils stopped by and wanted to learn how to cook. It was a huge mess, and I had to help with the cleanup."
>>
No. 928546 ID: 91ee5f

>>928514
“Emils heard that I was at Hoor’s house, so she came by and wanted to practice cooking with me. I warned her that was a bad idea, but she insisted, so we attempted to cook something. Which resulted in a big mess and me telling Emils, ‘I told you so.’ My clothes got dirty when I was helping clean up, so Hoor gave me an extra set of clothes to change into.”
>>
No. 928547 ID: 575ec0

I wish what you're implying is what happened.

Unfortunately the story is a bit more embarrassing than that, and I'd absolutely love to not talk about it.
>>
No. 928550 ID: 20b7eb

>>928514
that woman is scarily observant.
she did not buy that at all. she probably thinks you were masturbating.
>>
No. 928558 ID: b1b4f3

>>928523
Cooking excuse. Perfect.
>>
No. 928576 ID: 2202fb

>>928550
that plus the boys house thing means she must think you are turning into a total slut, lol.

Guess we have a very delicate situation here with a difficult choice.

Truth and Emils might get too much heat. Lie and ur gonna get grounded and possibly awkward gynecology appointments and a BnB talk and probably lose a ton of your mom's trust.
>>
No. 928580 ID: a9af05

>>928514
Emils wanted to practice cooking with you and your clothes got messy from yet another failed attempt at cooking.

You didn't even know it was possible for the bread to burst into flames when you tried to put butter on it!
>>
No. 928584 ID: bcc41d

Raise an eyebrow. Lie about cookery and accidents thereof.
>>
No. 928629 ID: fb2a85

“There’s nothing to discuss,” I stated, “I was learning to cook, and made a mess. That’s all.”
“That’s all.”
“Yes?”
“And what else?”
“Nothing happened yesterday, mom.”
“Nothing at all.”
“And there’s no reason to use our kitchen?”
“I’m banned from even stepping into the room.”
“The rule was not without permission.”
“Nothing happened, mom, I spent some time with Hoor yesterday and that’s all. Emils was there too.”
Mom stays silent as I set up the table for breakfast, adding an extra set for Emils.
“Fine then, don’t let your father know about it then,” I freeze, “Freya.”
Before I could interject, dad opens the door, with Emils behind him.

“... what, why the silence?” Dad asks, bewildered about the sudden quietness.
>>
No. 928630 ID: 834378

Answer that, oh, you were just in the middle of an uncomfortable topic with mom. Then pretend everything is normal, greet Emils and ask them how the training was.
>>
No. 928632 ID: c8452a

>>928629
"I'm not allowed to tell you that I used a kitchen, apparently. Hi, Emils."
>>
No. 928634 ID: 080aaf

Nothing. You were just practicing in your room.
>>
No. 928635 ID: 8eaf98

We probably want to write a message to bea's mom about how we did some soul core? searching and made a breakthrough on our condition. Explaining what we discovered but that we did it ourselves, including 'issues' to better explain our delay caused by this discovery. Otherwise >>928630 seems like a good plan
>>
No. 928636 ID: bcc41d

Explosive secrets in the family are awkward, erodes trust and should largely be avoided unless there's a compelling cause - and you've been caught red-handed, so there's that. If you'd realized she was angling for you to be honest with her about your adventurer training and properly debated it in your mind, you might've come clean, even, but here you were thinking she was suspicious of you for one or two completely different reason. It's actually funny.

"Ooooh. Right. That. No mom, that had nothing to do with it, messing my clothes yesterday was actually just something that happened while cooking - right Emils?"

Emils will back you up on that. (Pray she doesn't add details.) At any rate, you should swiftly launch a distract-them-from-the-actual-truth offensive.

"Aaand I don't want to give you false hope, but I might've sorta kinda developed a way to fix my problem. Behold!"

Grandly splay your right hand forward and lean down towards the table focusing on it. Turn off your ability and slump forward. Twitch a finger. Then, once they've gotten worried / someone pokes you, switch back and rub your muzzle. Exclaim, "Okay, that hurt, but I felt it hurt! It's like it's my actual body!"

Look over at your dad, and say, deadpan.

"...dad. I'm sorry. My actual body is the limpest noodle. I bring much shame to the family business."

This wasn't something you were gonna keep hidden from your parents for forever anyway, what with requiring regular training sessions and your mom already digging into your activities. It's easier to have their cooperation on re-training yourself, too. Since you have to hide Emils involvement, you can tell her it's your experiences as Freya that's giving you a shot at a longer/normal life, so she'll be more supportive of it when you reveal the deal to your father. Sneaky, but for a good cause!

Also they're your parents. They deserve (some) truth, just as you deserve (some) privacy.
>>
No. 928639 ID: 2202fb

>>928632
This.
>>
No. 928641 ID: a4ed87

Smile, look as guilty as possible and say “we’re not planning anything”.
He clearly suspects something’s up so let’s just throw him a red herring.
>>
No. 928647 ID: 91ee5f

>>928632
Yeah, stick with this.
>>
No. 928653 ID: 1ed92d

>>928629
Say that you and mom were discussing feminine hygiene.
>>
No. 928659 ID: a9af05

>>928629
>don't let your father find out
>Freya
Silently wonder about how your mom knew about that. Maybe Hoor told her?

But I'm pretty sure that she just told you to not let your dad find out you went to that test.

Just tell him about how you had an accident in the kitchen at Hoor's house yesterday when you attempted cooking, which is why you were wearing different clothes when you came home.

Then tell him that mom kinda implied that you were doing something else with Hoor.

Greet Emils.
>>
No. 928670 ID: e20bdf

>>928659
Who could have seeing past her excellent disguise? She cover her face with a hood! That was perfect.

Someone from the guild probable talked to Bea's mom about her joying as Freya.
>>
No. 928678 ID: b1b4f3

Maybe you should take a hint from your mom and keep quiet.
Ask Emils how her hand is doing.
>>
No. 928857 ID: 7e06cf
File 155457769990.png - (318.32KB , 1300x900 , 3442F9DE-1F4C-4450-A8F1-6B744524F2FD.png )
928857

“I was just confronting our little girl on why she was dressed differently when she came back last night.”
I look nervously at Mum,
“Oh? Did something happen?” Dad asks, looking at me.
I’m beginning to sweat, “oh, uh, it’s nothing, nothing you need to concern you about!” I blurt.
“Oh, but it is.” Mum frowns, “our daughter explicitly went against our instructions.”

Dad frowns too, “what happened?”
“It’s nothing!”
Mum sighs, peeking at me, “our little Bea has...” she pauses, “tried cooking unsupervised.”
Dad looks at me with a look of disappointment, “who did you poison?”

I look down in confusion, awkwardness, and embarrassment.

“Is there something wrong with Bea’s cooking?” Emils asks.
“Ah, last time Bea cooked, we ended up with food poisoning.” Dad jokes.
“I was a child!”
“That was last year.” Mum chimes in, as she settles down to the table.
“A-anyway, I wasn’t unsupervised, Emils was with me.”
“I was.” Emils backs me up.
“Although she barely prepared any food at all.” And she shoots me down.
“Okay,” Mum smiles, “that’s enough teasing, let’s have breakfast.”
I sigh, setting down breakfast.

>select character
>>
No. 928858 ID: e3e99e

>>928857
Lets be Bea's mom. She's a crafty one.
>>
No. 928859 ID: 20b7eb

>>928858
i support this.
>>
No. 928860 ID: 0cb682

Emils
>>
No. 928861 ID: 080aaf

The Sixth.
>>
No. 928863 ID: b1b4f3

>>928857
Victoria.
>>
No. 928866 ID: e20bdf

Select a different character in this conversation or jump into a different circumstance? I'm not sure if this discussion is finished. If it isn't Emils perspective would be good to give Bea support. If we are meant to jump into something unrelated I would like to see what Bag and Jogert are doing.
>>
No. 928874 ID: c8452a

Emils
>>
No. 928876 ID: 834378

The Sixth~
>>
No. 928877 ID: 130f18

Emils
>>
No. 928878 ID: f2320a

>>928857
Emils lets see what our cute little monster has been doing
>>
No. 928882 ID: a9af05

>>928857
If Emils did as we instructed her last time, then last night when she went home, she should've told Victoria about what she saw in the sewers.

I'd like to switch to Victoria to see how she's processing the information.ation that Emils has given her.
>>
No. 928883 ID: a9af05

>>928882
*information
>>
No. 928884 ID: 977456

Queen (of) Bea. (her mother)
Or Victoria, Victoria doesn't get enough screentime.

Or Bag. Never forget Bag.
>>
No. 928895 ID: 2202fb

I dont even remember what bag is anymore, but lets do it
>>
No. 928896 ID: 91ee5f

>>928882
That’s actually a good point.

I vote to switch to Victoria.
>>
No. 928902 ID: 130f18

Sure, I'll change my vote to Victoria.
>>
No. 928916 ID: 094652

Emils. We need to rein her in on a frequent basis or she'll start replacing all her variables with murder.
>>
No. 928940 ID: 99ed9b

I can get behind seeing what Victoria is doing. We are always going to come back to Emils eventually.
>>
No. 928941 ID: 8eaf98

Emils
>>
No. 928943 ID: 575ec0

Victoria
>>
No. 928955 ID: d63ea8

Bea's Mother would offer for an interesting change of pace. Though I do agree that Victoria would make for a good candidate as well.
>>
No. 928956 ID: 58b4f3

Victoria
>>
No. 929063 ID: 719d94

Victoria
>>
No. 929081 ID: 7e06cf
File 155474486503.jpg - (383.37KB , 2388x1668 , C29B3567-4123-4C8B-BCD4-96EAA3B441CF.jpg )
929081

“And then she tells me about how she had to “shut down” a giant slime. I’m not really sure in what to believe from her at this point.” I explain.
“That seems quite the tale.” Asera says,
“Her perspective on things might not me the same as us, considering we barely know her background.” The matron adds, “As for talking to mana beasts, we do have records that some seem to have a form of intelligence and are capable of communicating with one another, what little we know of them are mainly from what stories we have and from the lesser mana beasts. Fortunately for us, Asera here is one if our more learned scholar in regards to the Dragons and their mechanisms.”

“It’s rather unlikely to have a slime as huge as a city without its core being as large as a castle. The worth of a core of that size would be immeasurable, and to have something that large deep under us? That’s a horrifying thought.” Asera somehow squeezes out in a single breath.
“As for the goal of returning to the stars... that could be possible. It’s common knowledge that the dragons created our world, or so they said, in that case, there could be a home for the dragons. Somewhere out there, in the stars...” she looks up as the roof of the corridor, lost in her thoughts.

“Ahem,” The matron clears her throat, “I think what lady Asera means is that if what Emils told you is true, then perhaps we should look into the movements of the mana beasts. As is, we know little about them apart then apart from what we’ve released to the public. That larger ones are highly dangerous, are barely considered alive, and that the more cores they have, the more mana they need and have.
To have one with a core the size of a castle is indeed horrifying.”
>>
No. 929084 ID: b1b4f3

>>929081
Alright, first let's try observing the slimes without interfering with them. They're harmless(as far as you know) but are apparently intelligent or at least controlled by an intelligence. Find out what they're supposed to be doing. Maybe you could even try communication with one via it touching objects? Like just bring a variety of things for it to touch and ask it questions then allow it to pick answers by poking at an object.
Second, we can try to track the Weavers. They're one of the less dangerous large manabeasts, right? Plus Emils already spoke to one.

I suggest having mana stones on hand to offer them instead of risking the beasts feeding on the observation teams directly.
>>
No. 929087 ID: 834378

Emils sure is talkative lately. When did she tell you all of this?

Ask the matron if you're really officially... with Chris.
>>
No. 929088 ID: a9af05

>>929081
Did Emils mention anything else that the giant slime talked to her about? Anything besides wanting to return to the stars?

Perhaps something about the towers?
>>
No. 929089 ID: 1ed92d

>>929081
Attempt an experiment involving mundane slimes in an enclosed environment with sufficient resources for survival.
>>
No. 929097 ID: 130f18

>>929084
This could do with some empirical investigation, yes.
>>
No. 929098 ID: 8eaf98

I thought we taught Emils better than this? Oh well, glad we became Victoria rather than someone else who wasn't Emils so we know this happened.
What all has Emils told you?
>>
No. 929106 ID: 094652

Capture some monsters and have Emils talk to each of them for more information on your bracer and how to increase its clearance level.
>>
No. 929138 ID: e3e99e

>>929081
"Well, I have seen evidence of Emils ability to communicate with mana beasts. Last time we were out in the woods she rode up to me on ones the size of a carriage. It was passive, and left when she directed it to leave.
Perhaps questioning her directly would reveal more information?"
>>
No. 929140 ID: bcc41d

Rrgh. Well, revealing facets of the truth does mean Victoria will take her own actions. Asking for expert 'wtf even' advice from someone she trusts is pretty reasonable given the sudden contextless infodump she must've gotten.

>>929081
>horrifying
Think back, for one queasy moment, to what Chris told you about how your family sacrificed dragon's blood bearers for literal centuries to the 'largest-ever' intelligent mana beast in exchange for keeping the climate barrier active. What happened to that mana beast? Based on what Emils told you, the big Dragon-serving slime rather responsibly refused to leave its lair because it didn't want to 'cause large geological instabilities' - which, uh... wasn't there an earthquake prior to the failure of your kingdom's climate barrier? Has something been fed mana and dragon's blood for centuries - and is now on the move?

...yeah, no, you already know of horrifying prospects. A giant slime who lets a dragon-blooded rabbold live and go on their merry way sounds fantastical, not dangerous - especially if it wanted to 'shut down' for having lived too long. As for the value of its core - Emils (I hope) claimed it was kept set to perform its job of 'enriching the earth around the habitable areas' and that it would last 'until the last tower' did. Which means as much of a treasure as it seems, digging it up will probably have consequences. More grim is the - rather explicit - suggestion that all the dragon towers will fail in time because everyone's mana is derived from 'artificial mana', which was converted by this 'mother' entity from the 'real mana' of Dragons. Which means... you really do have to find them. Somehow.

Grimness aside, you don't know how much of this to take seriously. Agree with the Matron. Observing the movements of mana beasts may give clues to whether Emils' tale has any basis - but add to the suggestion that someone should do the obvious and just try to communicate. Risks should be minimized and no mana beast should be blindly trusted (especially larger ones - you know of one that's been a horrid beast compared to big slime). Experimenting with slime communication is probably a good safe start. Emils (I hope) mentioned them 'inheriting memories from their mother' so - exciting prospect - it's possible they actually know something of the Dragons' designs. Even if only in bits and pieces.

Daisy and Shane are keeping one as pet, aren't they? Tell them to start with that one. Do math at it. Figure out how to teach it to write. Borrow Emils to see how it reacts to her and have a bunch of things written down for her to translate.

...

As you discuss this, reflect on the possibility that Emils may be alive today - despite being found wandering the wilds buck naked - because she has inherited some sort of innate communication skill or command over mana beasts. You don't know how it would've come about, but if she was literally raised by mana beasts that'd explain a lot of her strangeness and her casual, fearless attitude towards them. It might even be a hint at how 'simple' mana beasts think: in a straightforward manner, narrowly focused on their main goal with little thought of incidental consequences. They also probably do poorly at social interactions and ask lots of weird questions and make up fantastic tales with no basis in reality.

Reflect that you may be too harsh with Emils because you have no idea what's up with that girl.

Anyway, if all or SOME mana beasts truly are more-or-less intelligent servitors of the servitors of the Dragons, the world is in one hell of a vicious, downward cycle. It's hard to disregard Emils' tale completely. Your friendly encounter with 'Sammy the Weaver' proves that non-hostile interaction is possible so Emil has SOMETHING going for her and if even a tenth of what she's said is true, you probably know more about the nature of mana and the history of this world now than anyone since the time of the Dragons... anyone but the mana beasts who for some fucked-up reason haven't been telling.
>>
No. 929141 ID: 5c1ba2

>>929138
Yeah
>>
No. 929148 ID: 080aaf

She knows too much.
Well, perhaps the guild should switch missions to hunt mana beasts over to reconnaissance.
Did you have any preparations to make before that expedition with the prince to the dragon door?
>>
No. 929149 ID: e20bdf

I might be making some incorrect assumptions but I got the impression the Temple is an Avaros institution and the Avaros Empire sour the relationship between the natives and the dragons and are the most likely reason for their departure. If what Emils told you is correct than the absence of mana producing species doomed all native lifeforms and the mana beasts to an inevitable death by mana depletion or mana plague. So let me ask you: why one of the first people you tell this information is (I presume) a representative of the Temple? Haven't you considered the possibility of the first reaction of this institution could be obscure facts to refute perceive guilt?
>>
No. 929228 ID: 99ed9b

Wait, did Emils give away anything. Talking about shutting down the core and whatnot is something that reveals a lot more about her than is rightly a good idea too. I guess Emils just doesn't have those filters to really understand the implications of things.

It's a bit disturbing that the takeaway these creatures are discussing is that there's a super valuable core buried under some city instead of the whole "the world is dying of mana depletion" aspect of things.

I mean, Victoria at least should be clandestinely disgusted that this guy is more interested in treasure hunting than the fate of the world.
>>
No. 929243 ID: 130f18

>>929228
On the other hand, they might think such a core could be used for that rocket.
>>
No. 929285 ID: 7e06cf
File 155491974985.png - (337.33KB , 900x1440 , 41BAD750-5E53-43E6-BFF1-E89E4E6423F7.png )
929285

The shrines were created by dragons, to house the remaining Avaros after the decimation of their empire. With the world war they conducted, the dragons facilitated peace between the Avaros who surrendered and the rest of the world.
As time went on, the shrines changed to be an archive and collection of the dragons, and they try to enforce the teachings of the dragons. The dragons left after that, and all those involved with the war has long since passed. To blame the current generation is just dumb.

Emils has only told me about her recent adventures in the city.
I thought she’d be safe within the walls, but the recent stories, I’m not too sure now.
“Is there some way to at least verify Emils story?”
“Not immediately. The catacombs under this city are vast, old, and dangerous. There’s no way to safely explore down there, and not to mention the waters down there are not healthy in any means. Meanwhile starting an investigation into the mana beasts would require years of proper research, and would bring into attention to Emils. I am not sure how much you’d want to expose her to the world, or those you know. I can keep her existence in this city quiet, but it would only be a matter of time before the world would know of another Dragon Blood Rabbold. One maybe not as defiant as you are.”

The matron has a point. Emils is just a child. Someone must be looking for her, be it her parents, or someone else. It would be great if she could have a proper childhood, but I would have to teach her about the influence and power she has with Dragons Blood running in her veins.

“What about current studies? There has to be someone who has investigated or keep track of mana beasts?”
“Oh,” Asera snaps back, “as far as I know, there aren’t any scholars in the shrine communities that keep track of mana beasts. We see them as children of dragons, and urge everyone to keep away from them for their own safety. This kinda reduces what interaction we have with them, and most of our scholars are more into history and relics.”
Asera rubs her chin, “Perhaps you can try out in Fuller, I think there was an investigative request for reference materials on mana beasts from there. It was a few years ago though, so I’m not sure. Besides, I wouldn’t put it past those weirdos to do dangerous stuff. They barely ever listen to us.”

“... Matron, what does Dragons Blood do for mana beasts?”
“What do you mean?”
“I recall stories about a giant worm under Drac Kingdom that is said to consume naughty children. Yesterday I learned that the worm is real. And that it feeds on Dragons Blood. Matron, you’re the only one knowledgeable I can ask in regards to this. How dangerous are mana beasts to Emils and I?”
“That’s a weird question.” Asera “As far as I know, Dragons Blood doesn’t-“
“Do you really want to know?” The matron asks seriously.
>>
No. 929286 ID: b1b4f3

>>929285
...yes?
>>
No. 929288 ID: 1ed92d

>>929285
Yes, this is important.
>>
No. 929289 ID: e3e99e

>>929285
"I believe it goes without saying that Emils is an unusual child, so much so that she doesn't seem to have ever had a chance to behave like a child. She doesn't boast, brag, or use hyperbole, but neither does she shy away with modesty and downplay her actions. When she speaks she is exceptionally direct, accurate, and precise.
Emils is also frighteningly adept at learning most things, and and I don't think I need to tell remind you that she had been found surviving on her own with aplomb for who knows how long.
This all leaves me with distressingly little room to doubt her story. Notwithstanding that I was already present for her having a conversation with a Weaver, where it clearly appeared to respond as if they understood each other.

With all this in mind, can you honestly tell me you think she isn't going to blindly stumble into the worst sort of trouble imaginable?
I don't want to know, I need to know.
Please, tell me."
>>
No. 929291 ID: 91ee5f

>>929285
>I would have to teach her about the influence and power she has with Dragons Blood running in her veins.
Is there a reason you haven’t already taught her this stuff? The sooner she learns, the sooner she’ll be prepared for when someone tries to manipulate her for the influence and power her Dragons Blood gives her.

>“Do you really want to know?” The matron asks seriously.
“Yes.”
>>
No. 929293 ID: 0cb682

Yes.
>>
No. 929294 ID: 834378

Sure, but any answer she gives would be dubious considering the last experience with the Weaver.
>>
No. 929295 ID: a9af05

>>929285
>Verify Emils story?
>Not immediately.
If it turns out that Emils was telling the truth about the giant slime, you better hope it doesn't move! Otherwise, the whole city will fall apart!

>Waters not healthy
Victoria, if that's true, then shouldn't Emils be bedridden with a terrible fever or something? The only thing that happened was that she came home smelling very bad.

You should probably keep an eye on her and watch for signs of her being sick.

>Do you want to know?
Yes.
>>
No. 929323 ID: bcc41d

A worm-thing. So Gluttony was the one who came by and ate Victoria's relatives on the regular.

One can limit Emils exposure to the world and still get the ball running on figuring out mana beasts. All Emils needs to do is to be the rosetta stone to one or two specimens - once a Mana beast knows how to speak language, or how to write it, they can act as translator for others and Emils can get on back to school. Maybe arrange something under the guise of 'remedial lessons' on account of how sheltered she's been?

>really want to know?

Yeees? Is there some kind of penalty or cost to learning it? Are we talking state secrets here?
>>
No. 929335 ID: 8eaf98

Yes.
inbf "who would you like to follow next" so we get no information
>>
No. 929347 ID: 4deeaf

"No but I can't afford ignorance. Tell me. Now."
>>
No. 929360 ID: 080aaf

We wouldn't be reporting the fantasies of a child as though they were fact if we didn't, ma'am.
>>
No. 929492 ID: fb2a85

“I can not afford to stay ignorant about the dangers around me without the possible threat of a kingdoms army behind me.” I stated sadly, remembering my family.
The matron sighed, and asked “Asera, please give us some privacy.”
“Oh! Uhm, sorry,” and the lady bowed before walking ahead.
“Let us discuss in our office, please.” The matron requested as we silently walked.

—-

She locked the door behind us as we sit around her desk, and poured some warm tea for us.
“As for your question, Dragons blood on its own, does nothing except be a good conductor of mana.”
“Then why all the secrecy?” I gestured to the room.
“Because, Victoria, is what happens if our blood mixes with dragons blood.”

“I’m sure your royal education taught you of Emperor Kali, and his descendants, who began engaging war with the rest of the world, citing that “The air above should rule over the land below.””
I nod, remembering how history had condensed it to a tale of greed overwhelming a ruler.
“Well,” The matron continued, “He began to sought out the dragons, wanting their powers for his own. And in a way, he got it.”
I look up at the matron, bewildered.

“Yes yes, we spin tales about how strong and immortal the dragons were, but they were as mortal as we were. They laughed, cried, and importantly, they bled.
It was Kali’s grandson who presented his grandfather a captured dragon, weakened somehow, and they studied the poor thing.” She took a sip, “They ran tests after tests. Immoral and unethical. They didn’t even let it rest after it died. It’s body used for materials to create medicine and weapons.”
The matron furrowed her brows, upset.
“Anyways, The Emperor, in bid of immortality in his old age, had ingested a vial of dragons blood.
He was considered dead shortly after, but his body had began mutating at an accelerated rate. The dragons blood had mixed with his body, and became the creation of a monster.

It could control the mana inside of people.
They created a monster that could control all life around it.

It’s at this point our records get fuzzy.
The dragons quarantined the empire when they learned what happened, and wiped the whole empire off the face of the planet, along side every person and archive there.

That’s when it all began. Babies around the world began being born with the capability of using mana. Capable of casting magic. It was a lesser form of what the dragons could achieve.

As for what our blood does for mana beasts? It gives them power, food, and worst of all, mutated them.
For the most part, mana beasts were peaceful servants of the dragons, but those who had a taste of our blood, became deadly. They could control others around them, and create more of themselves unchecked.

The dragons retreated as many as they could, disabled whatever they couldn’t, and left. All those that remain were either too insignificant or too corrupted to take back. They left us with what they couldn’t find, or couldn’t take. That is why we ask others to stay away as much as possible.

Of course over the years, people and rules gets changed, and now we have some societies that live with some mana beasts, and guild missions to hunt and eliminate other mana beasts.”

I look down at my cold tea, unsure what to do now.
>>
No. 929495 ID: ea5947

Ok!

Ask her if she knows which types of mana beasts are confirmed to be hostile and which are not. Also, if mana beasts were ever hostile to people with dragon blood, or only those without.
>>
No. 929496 ID: 080aaf

Is there any way to differentiate a corrupted mana beast from a pure one before it attacks you?
>>
No. 929502 ID: d63ea8

This brings up even more questions about Emils' parents. Did they also have the ability to communicate with mana beasts? If Emils is part of the royal line then her ability shouldn't be an anomaly.

Who (or maybe 'what') were her parents?
>>
No. 929512 ID: b1b4f3

>>929492
So the giant worm is mutated?
Wait, what societies live with mana beasts? Considering what we know, our next step would be to ask those societies to gather information.

(I think this means that First through Seventh are mutated manabeasts, and Lust was an untainted ancient slime mother. also I guess Emils counts as a mutated manabeast)
(also holy crap that means Emils is basically the second coming of Kali's Monster. good thing she's using her mana manipulation to garner good will)
>>
No. 929519 ID: bcc41d

Okay, so now we've got some idea of what went wrong and how the natives started using 'artificial' mana instead of developing their own over time. We don't know why or how the Avaros experiments turned the natives all into users of artificial mana, though. I'm guessing most natives did not have cores prior to this experiment.

>>929512
Lust/LU-5 is definitely among the Seven, since she described how they were all parts of the Mother that got repurposed to make the planet habitable. How exactly the blood affected her is hard to say, we don't know her motivations, how she 'used' to be and how/why native dragon's blood made these super-dangerous mana beasts behave - but it's a safe bet to say that Emils is among a new kind that they've been experimenting with creating - an artificial core produced from three (maybe four if she chomps on Sloth's core) 'greater mana beasts'.

Also, this is the natives' incomplete understanding of events. The Seven, the mana beasts (their children?) and the Dragons likely have their own perception of events and their own histories (lived, in the Seven's case, although memory loss seem to be an issue for them, or at least it was for LU-5). Interesting that LU-5 seemed to still be serving the overall mission and cause of the dragons by providing for the natives. The Seven are not aligned, and may not have been for a long time.

>Victoria wat now

Unpack this thoroughly. Consider what it means. Focus. Think.

[Dragons] are not religious fairy tales and that shitty old emperor fucked it up for everyone those thousands of years ago by somehow introducing mana to the people of the world, which lead to the corruption of their servant mana beasts into egomaniacal engines of disaster and their retreat past [Dragon's Ridge]. After punishing the Empire and stripping the lands of their tech and servants. But that was a loooong time ago and the world has achieved a balance since with some mana beasts being or becoming docile and others being driven back, deservedly or not. And that one who fed on your family as part of a deal.

The problem, if Emils' slime spoke true, is that people began using the 'wrong' kind of mana - the same kind mana beasts use - and the world is starting to run low on it because some kind of Dragon tech called an [Artificial Dungeon Core] - or 'Mother' as it referred to it - needs [Dragon] mana to convert into the mana everything else uses. 'Mother' seems to be the [Star Dragon] from the myths you remember - and will probably be found beyond [Dragon's Ridge].

So, considering your mission, if there ARE [Dragon]s left, they may be wary - to the extreme - of anyone who intrudes past their bulwark. It was, after all, built to keep intruders from deliberately or accidentally poisoning their still-loyal servants - or letting the corrupted ones who can control their loyal ones come in. The big slime Emils met could've been a loyal mana beast that simply kept up its mission for the [Dragons] in obscurity, hidden underground. Or it could've fed her a big load of hooey.

So. What is your mission right now? To just check what's beyond the Ridge? No. You do know for a fact that [Dragon Towers] are failing and big Mana Beasts with Dragon's Blood in them are still running around. Worst case, if Emil's source was real and honest, the world is running out of time. Since the [Dragons] brought their technology and their mana with them and left you with no way to replenish and replace mana... well, there's no wonder things are gradually failing. Nor can you get more mana without the [Dragon]s and 'Mother', the [Artificial Dungeon Core].

And that's your mission. To go to their lair, or their ruins, and figure things where things stand, what the truth of it all is and whether anything can be salvaged. All while carrying the kind of mana and blood that turned their servants into rampaging monsters and made them annihilate an empire, pulling themselves into a shell of isolation in sheer terror.

... if they're still alive over there, you're gonna need to become a hell of a diplomat. And more.

Request help.

*Surviving historical accounts of actual Dragons - what was their culture really like?
*Knowledge or accounts of Dragon Technology - what were their wonders like and how were they used?
*Knowledge or accounts corrupted mana beasts and what they could do in specific when powered up by Dragon's Blood. How can one fight such things?
>>
No. 929522 ID: e20bdf

Any reason for the secrecy?
>>
No. 929523 ID: bcc41d

>>929519
Quick note: it does sound like the natives had access to mana prior to the emperor doing his thing - but it kinda runs counter to what Matron said about magic being introduced afterwards. Maybe she just meant Core abilites i.e. 'real' magic? Or perhaps it's a difference in perspective - the natives were 'using mana' already, but not [core] abilities until the Emperor did his thing. Think I'll toss a few thoughts on it into the discthread.
>>
No. 929526 ID: e20bdf

>>929523
I recall some mana beast saying the way the natives interface with artificial mana is peculiar but useful for themselves, Suggesting the natives developed their own magic system based on what the artificial cores used originally and after that the mana beasts adopted it as an alternative.
Since Matron is comparing their magic to the dragons we can assume the results were similar to true organic magic even though the process wasn't.

I agree with you, it doesn't sound right that the natives developed magic after mutating themselves with dragonblood. It's very strange that they are lifeforms that depend on environments rich in artificial mana to survive but only developed a way to interface with it after an artificial mutation.

Also, prior to this tale, the dragonblood natives had their origins attributed to the dragons. It doesn't make sense that the dragons would create a level of access based on genetics if those variants were created by the avaros empire or the revolting mana beasts, their enemies.
>>
No. 929536 ID: bcc41d

>>929526
>It doesn't make sense that the dragons would create a level of access based on genetics if those variants were created by the avaros empire or the revolting mana beasts, their enemies.

No, but they may have wanted an alternate supply to 'true' Dragon's Blood, which was manufactured and referred to as Ambrosia, presumably for its mana conductivity. LU-5 mentioned it. She also mentioned the 'original' supply had long since 'dried up'... so Dragon's Blood may be a perishable good in the long run. Good thing Emils can just make more (at exorbitant mana costs).

>"Well yes, original [Dragons Blood] were made literally from the blood of [dragons]. It would make sense that the experiments would have had some effect after all this time. But from the sounds of it, There aren't enough of them to place any significance to them."

In other words, the Dragons also experimented on the natives, trying to make them more like themselves. Not surprising, given that they wanted them to produce mana naturally. Producing dragon's blood may have been one of the desired side effects even. After all, there were a limited number of dragons and presumably a certain (industrial-grade?) need for Ambrosia.

So, really, on the one hand you have Dragon's Blood which may be the result of Dragon meddling, and on the other you have 'magic' (Core abilities) access which may be the product of Avaros meddling.
>>
No. 929703 ID: 7e06cf
File 155525974075.png - (232.09KB , 900x1440 , BE442914-5DD5-45C8-8F1A-265B06518964.png )
929703

“Victoria, I want to make this very clear.” The matron looks me in the eyes, “Within you, lies the ability to control mana to a dangerous degree. Although the Emperor died, what he became, is a possibility in you too. Just to a weaker degree.
This is why it’s a secret, even to other Dragon Bloods. The only ones who know are a few of us in the upper echelons, and I trust you with this only because I know you won’t shackle yourself under our roof. You can tell Emils if you think she’s ready, but no one else, please.”

I consider her words for a while, cradling the cup in my hands...

“I would like to know more about the dragons.”
“Very well, but what I know about them is very limited. My degree of studies doesn’t go much into them, but I recommend you ask Asera in regards to them. She is one of the more... enthusiastic about dragons, and the closest. Otherwise the nearest small library would be in Daraka, about a month away.

“Then you mentioned places that lives with mana beasts?”
“Ah yes, I know of the ratbold tribes that lives around the border of the mana blights, they use Mirror beasts to travel and carry things, and the Sannah republic, who lives with small Weaver beasts to produce fibers and textiles. Both are more than a few months away though, and keep their involvement with mana beasts secret. We can’t really approve of their operations, but it’s not like we can force them otherwise.” She shrugs. “After all, we have to keep an image of being separate from government.
There might be others, but I don’t know. I’ve been stuck here for the past few years and rather out of the loop.”

“What about the differences between corrupted and normal mana beasts?”
“Unfortunately none that we can tell. If Emils could indeed talk to them, maybe she could tell you. However risky that would be. The places I mentioned might know more, but they do keep their secrets.”

“One last question, has there ever been a case of anyone being able to enter the dragon towers?”
“... so far, no. However, from what we could see, the dragon tower at the empires lands is damaged. We obviously can’t take a closer look, but from those who studied the edge of the blighted lands, there are many reports of large cracks around the shell of the tower. Should we ever somehow return to the Avern Empire, it would sure be one of the first things we investigate.”

I take a last sip from the cup, thanking The matron before leaving the office with too much in my mind.

>Look for Asera
>Look for Emils
>Other
>>
No. 929704 ID: 080aaf

Look for Asera.
>>
No. 929710 ID: b1b4f3

>>929703
Asera.
>>
No. 929711 ID: 575ec0

Seek Asera
>>
No. 929718 ID: 985870

>>929703
Well, Emils is certainly one of the strongest Dragon-blooded people in living memory. She'll be fine for now.
Find Asera.
>>
No. 929721 ID: ea5947

'sera
>>
No. 929741 ID: 91ee5f

>>929703
Go look for Asera.
>>
No. 929782 ID: ba56e6

Asera is already nearby. so makes sense to go to her first.
>>
No. 929805 ID: 977456

Emils can wait. It's not like she's running around manipulating people's life-force all over the place or anything.
>>
No. 929825 ID: d63ea8

I'd say looking for Emils first.
>>
No. 929873 ID: 1ed92d

>>929703
Find Emils
>>
No. 929876 ID: 8eaf98

>>929805
uhhhh about that, isn't that probably what we are doing when we mess with other people's cores?
>>
No. 929877 ID: ba56e6

>>929876
That's the joke, Tim
>>
No. 929901 ID: a9af05

>>929703
Look for Asera.
>>
No. 929903 ID: f2320a

>>929703
Asera is already nearby. so makes sense to go to her first.
then our adopted child
>>
No. 929915 ID: e7848c

That's probably enough for one day. Look for your little troublemaker.
>>
No. 930404 ID: 7f1313
File 155570599087.png - (240.57KB , 900x1440 , 7C3901AD-59F7-42B1-B58F-DEA92FD49696.png )
930404

Asking about, I find Asera in the small library filled with worn out books near the middle of the shrine.
“Excuse me, Lady Asera.”
“Oh, Hello again Miss Victoria. How may I help you?”
“I would like to ask you a few things about dragons.”
“Ah!” Asera smiles, “You’ve come to the right person! What would you like to know?”
>>
No. 930405 ID: ba56e6

>>930404
Approximate dong size.
>>
No. 930406 ID: e20bdf

Why did they left?
What were their position toward the natives? Where they vengeful? Did they had principles? Did they wanted something from us? Did they feared us? Did they desired our prosperity? Did they wanted our extermination? Dis they left us to die?
What can you tell us about their technology? Do you know anything about the levels of access? Is this enforced by the machines or the mana beasts? Is there a fundamental difference between dragon machinery and the mana beasts?
Where do dragon blood lineages come from? Why would the dragons increase the level of access of those lineages above the rest of their species? What were the plan here? Maybe dragon blood natives can produce true mana but lack numbers to make a difference in the overhall mana consumption.
Did the dragons employed long distance communication devices? Can we use them? What about interstellar communication? Can they be contacted remotely?
What about space ships? What do you know about their means of transportation? Could something similar be developed for us? Theoretic at least...
We depend on mana rich environments and the dragons don't. How did they infused mana in the environment? Why did they do that? Can we replicate this process? Can we sustain ourselves in mana depleted environments with a mana battery?
>>
No. 930407 ID: b1b4f3

>>930404
What does dragon blood look like?
>>
No. 930408 ID: bcc41d

>>930404
*Surviving historical accounts of actual Dragons - what was their culture really like? What did they look like?

*Knowledge or accounts of Dragon Technology - what were their wonders like and how were they used? Of particular interest are things that have weird restrictions of use or have no apparent use.

Also, show her the modified bracelet and get her to help you understand its use better. Tell her about the Weaver modifying it.
>>
No. 930409 ID: 04818e

>>930404
Give us a primer. For starters.
>>
No. 930502 ID: ea5947

About their language.
>>
No. 930633 ID: 7f1313

“First off, what could you tell me about the dragons? And I want the truth. The matron has told me about the emperor turning into a monster, and I want to know more about the dragons.”
“Oh...” Asera looks down at her book, “So anything before the age of dragons are mostly written with cave paintings and reliefs left over by our ancestors we managed to dig up, and word of mouth from sea Nerya, so what we know from the early ages are mostly lost to time, or filled with inaccuracies. A lack of common or usable language doesn’t help either.”
We walk to a bench nearby and take a seat.

“At first, all histories tells us of a single dragon who came out to us. She had multiple names and multiple forms. Majority of our early recorded history, folklore, and stories could be accounted to her. Tales of a stranger moving mountains, curing the sick, bringing peace, causing wars, and performing miracles, could probably be accounted to her.
It took a long time for the other dragons to appear in their true forms. They shared with us their culture, their language, and their technologies. In fact, majority of our modern culture and technology is a result of what they introduced to us. We replicated what we could, and what stuck spread.”

“So what were their stance on us?” I asked, hoping to avoid a full on history lesson.
“Oh, after the introduction to a common language, our history got a bit more concise.
From what I’ve read, the dragons had multiple views on us. Some lived in peace with us, some kept us away from land, and there were travel parties that spread our and taught and healed the various tribes around the land.
They had form a small following after that, so I guess they were overall kind, but distant. They refused treasures, but some some tribes reported having sacrificed their people to the dragons. It’s hard to say, due to how old the records were.
And even then, we don’t really have much records on their overall thoughts on us. Just bits and pieces of their individual feelings, and that’s not really an indicator of what they all think of us.”

“I see...” it feels weird to know something you’ve thought to be fake your whole life, to be real...
“What about mana beasts? What were they?”
“Hm... we don’t really know. As far as we can tell, they have always been there, even before the dragons came out to us. Their physiology is that of solid matter and mana, and they have some sort of intelligence. Controlling them is something many have tried, but none on record have succeeded.”
“What? But the matron told me of two places that have control over mana beasts.”
“Wh What? That can’t be right, that would go against our orders to keep away from mana beasts...” Asera looks at me in shock, “Did she say where these places are?”
>>
No. 930635 ID: 0fae41

On second thought, this info is probably need to know. Pretend you never heard that.
>>
No. 930637 ID: e20bdf

She said those places were a few months away and keep their involvement with mana beasts a secret. I'm sure you can understand why having their orders so blatantly disrespected is a touchy subject for the temple.
Please don't tell matron what I just said. Or anyone else.

Could you elaborate a few examples of individual dragons behavior and stance?
>>
No. 930647 ID: b1b4f3

>>930633
Tell her she should talk to the Matron about this. You don't know how much she's supposed to know.
>>
No. 930657 ID: 8d4593

Hmm. Thank you.
I'm told such infractions are taking place Out at great distances from here. Weeks worth of travel.

That said, it seems I've said too much. Be careful with that info.
>>
No. 930669 ID: ea5947

Tell her that she might want to check out where exactly those orders originate from because someone clearly knew quite a bit about mana beasts.
>>
No. 930672 ID: bcc41d

>>930633
If you want to backtrack that, you can say the Matron mentioned communities that were living WITH mana beasts - and you may have misunderstood it for something intentional as opposed to just, y'know, living conditions where mana beasts are really abundant.

Or you can say that some Mana Beasts appear more than just a little intelligent, so it doesn't really surprise you that some places are toeing the line - and if she does want to explore the issue, to take it up with the Matron as a research project. You'd suggest she start setting up an investigation into slimes, though, given Emils' story. They should be relatively non-threatening and perhaps some do remember the Dragons. If so she'd have actual first-hand sources of information.

So, what about Dragon artifacts? How do they work, typically?

Show her your Weaver-upgraded bracelet.
>>
No. 930673 ID: 094652

Tell her that the bracelets everyone wears are the key, but you don't know how to unlock their true powers. Emils did something with a spider mana beast, but asking for more from them would be the equivalent of requesting a guard captain to personally crown you empress. You need help unlocking these abilities and you need it soon.
>>
No. 931014 ID: 7f1313

“I uh, was not supposed to tell you about that...”
Asera looks confused for a second before covering her mouth, “Oh. Don’t worry, I can keep a secret.”
“That’s good, just don’t immediately ask the matron about this, it’s easy to know who told you.”
“That’s fine, it’s not really my direct area of expertise anyhow. Is there anything else you would like to know?”

“Just a few more questions, you mentioned accounts of dragons?”
“Ah, a personal project of mine, translating text left behind by the dragons. Some of them left behind written accounts of their lives, a diary I think. Most are too degraded to read, and most of them are written in their own complex language, that translating one rarely helps with another. The most I’ve completed is one fifth of this book here.”
Asera pulls out a well worn... book from a bag nearby. On it is some written words that I don’t understand, filled with notes, ink stains, and
“I found this book book when I was a little girl, and spent months transcribing it into this. My personal translation project!”

Yeah I can feel like I’m going to regret asking this, “what have you found out so far?”
“Ah, as fas as I can tell, it’s about a dragoness captain, sailing some sort of unknown ocean, and fighting her rival, another dragon captain of a rivaling clan. So far I’m only about the part when she is captured by the rival and he locks her in his brig-“
“Okay, that doesn’t really align with what I’m looking for.”
Asera looks someone down crest, “oh. Then unfortunately none of the other transcribed works are in a proper readable state... despite how long we’ve have them, translating dragons text is a very complex thing and we’ve only touched the tip so far. The only common script we can understand is the language to activate spells, but so little is using that script that it’s difficult to even...”

I’ve officially lost interest in this matter. I can’t even bring myself to continue to listen to her drone on, so I use my practiced smile and nod.

> Find someone else
> Change person
>>
No. 931015 ID: 0fae41

Change to someone with a clear goal in mind. Like Bag!
>>
No. 931017 ID: ea5947

>and he locks her in his brig-
And then they make love?

After she gives you the juicy details, find Chris. He seems well-traveled and might know something.
Alternatively, switch to Dragons.
>>
No. 931018 ID: f2320a

>>931014
i wonder waht our little slimy cutebold is doing?
>>
No. 931020 ID: b1b4f3

>>931014
...I wonder if Emils can read that.
>>
No. 931021 ID: 99ed9b

The thought should at least past through Victoria's mind that Emils has a strange affinity for languages and might be able to help translating dragon books at some point.
>>
No. 931022 ID: e20bdf

Emils.
Maybe Bea will accept another attempt at cooking practice now that she can torn off her food exploding magic.
>>
No. 931024 ID: 0cb682

Emils
>>
No. 931025 ID: 91ee5f

>>931014
Hey, Victoria, if Emils can talk to mana beasts, do you think it’s possible for her to also be capable of reading these ancient dragon texts?

Although, if you want Emils to be a normal kid, then maybe you shouldn’t ask her to read these things. Because if Emils can read these things, then Asera will be constantly begging you to let her take Emils with her to translate more books.

>What do?
Change to Emils. She’s supposed to be in school, right? Let’s see how she’s doing.
>>
No. 931028 ID: a9af05

>>931014
Change to Emils
>>
No. 931034 ID: d63ea8

Change to Emils.
>>
No. 931048 ID: 8eaf98

change to Emils. Sadly, unless they can just read the book aloud I don't think Emils's language understanding will help us here cause it is just for verbal communication.right?
>>
No. 931052 ID: 977456

Find Bag.

But first. It is very rare that a captain would be captured and survive. Kidnapping is already criminal and a captain would be the one paying ransom. Query whether it is possible that the book might actually be for... entertainment purposes. Is the dragoness constantly impressed by the rival's qualities? Or there might be a specific, particularly desirable subordinate? Perhaps there might be literary cues in certain novels for frustrated ladies seeking a less formalised romantic environment... which she should look into... for pure academic purposes.
Then again, it is a different culture, maybe it really is a diary.
>>
No. 931056 ID: e3e99e

>>931014
Hit on Asera, then go find Emils.
She has a freakish capacity for communication, so she might be able to intuitively translate those documents.
>>
No. 931064 ID: ba56e6

>>931021
Agreed.

Ask if you can have Emils take a look at one of these texts. One without the pirate smut, preferably.
>>
No. 931172 ID: db57e3

>>931052
Caaaaaaaan't it 8e 8oth?


Delete post []
Password  
Report post
Reason