[Burichan] [Futaba] [Nice] [Pony]  -  [WT]  [Home] [Manage]

Report completed threads!

[Catalog View] :: [Archive] :: [Graveyard] :: [Rules] :: [Discussions] :: [Wiki]

[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [Last 100 posts]
Posting mode: Reply
Name
Email
Subject   (reply to 934424)
Message
File []
Embed   Help
Password  (for post and file deletion)
  • Supported file types are: GIF, JPG, MP3, MP4, PNG, SWF, WEBM
  • Maximum file size allowed is 20000 KB.
  • Images greater than 250x250 pixels will be thumbnailed.
  • Currently 3799 unique user posts. View catalog

File 155920656764.png - (126.27KB , 765x543 , idk1.png )
934424 No. 934424 ID: 70065f

Expand all images
>>
No. 934425 ID: 70065f
File 155920657869.png - (123.36KB , 765x543 , idk2.png )
934425

>>
No. 934426 ID: 70065f
File 155920659117.png - (122.28KB , 765x543 , idk3.png )
934426

Someone is here.
>>
No. 934427 ID: 0fae41

Pick yourself up off the ground and say hello!
And welcome back!
>>
No. 934429 ID: bcc41d

"'yello?"
>>
No. 934430 ID: 76c97c

tell them to go away and go back to bed
>>
No. 934431 ID: 5ef8cc

Bark at them
>>
No. 934432 ID: e8f59c

Were you expecting someone?
>>
No. 934433 ID: 70065f
File 155920777398.png - (75.03KB , 509x655 , idk4.png )
934433

>Pick yourself up off the ground and say hello!
A particularly heavy spear through my ribcage prevents that right now.

>"'yello?"
I try to speak, but apparently my throat had rotted away during my imprisonment here.

>tell them to go away and go back to bed
That seems like an awful way to treat the first guest I've seen in a few hundred years

>Bark at them
I muster a guttural shout from the pit of my spirit. Whatever the thing is pauses at the sound and peers back over it's shoulder. Someone further away is shouting to it.

Poor thing is going to kill itself if it tries to remove those seals directly.
>>
No. 934434 ID: 76c97c

>>934433
consider what methods of articulation you have available and what you could use to communicate
>>
No. 934435 ID: 70065f
File 155920926370.png - (118.33KB , 816x625 , idk5.png )
934435

>consider what methods of articulation you have available and what you could use to communicate

My limbs refuse to move. Probably all gone by now anyway.

I will my spirit to reach up to the thing, but it bounces harmlessly off the sealed exit.

I focus my will to the thing and it swerves it's head back to peer into the well.

Oh good, I'm still telepathic. It's mind is like an open book to me.

...it's a Homunculus. Poorly made, would probably die to it's own failing heart in a week. It's owner is urging it to tear open the seals on my cage.
>>
No. 934436 ID: 5a647d

Welp let’s see where this seal opening takes us. If the homunculus can open it that is.
>>
No. 934437 ID: 0fae41

No wonder they sent something so disposable. At least help it do its job right the first time.
>>
No. 934438 ID: e8f59c

How does one remove the seals indirectly? Can you direct the homunculus to do that?

What is it thinking about? If its mind is an open book what's the story of its life?
>>
No. 934440 ID: ea82cb

>>934438
Yes to the first part. He's our guest, and killing our guest wouldn't do.

I don't know if we have time for their life story. If their master is too impatient, they might die.
>>
No. 934449 ID: 53cdab

If you can help in any way, do so.
>>
No. 934454 ID: f2320a

>>934435
who is the owner we must know all that is in its head
>>
No. 934455 ID: b1b4f3

>>934435
Tell it about the dangers of removing the seals directly.
>>
No. 934459 ID: f94dfb

Telepathic? Good. Attempt to transmit an image to the homunculus of it taking off the seals with a stick or other such object rather than bare hands.
>>
No. 934460 ID: 70065f
File 155923876143.png - (65.97KB , 590x695 , idk6.png )
934460

>How does one remove the seals indirectly?
Unfortunately I don't understand how they work myself. I know holding a tool is not enough to save the one trying to break them. They also deflect arcane powers. Divine magics won't work either, as the Sun has long forsaken me to this hole.

>If you can help in any way, do so.
I am trapped in here. The most I can do is communicate telepathically, as the homunculus is too simple for me to be able to manipulate into specific actions.

I warn the homunculus not to touch the seals itself. It's owner seems to be growing impatient and steps up to admonish it.

>who is the owner we must know all that is in its head
I peer into it's owner's mind.

...I don't wish to do that again. He is a vile man. But he is also weak-willed and emotional, making him easy to manipulate for me. He seems to believe that if he frees me I will grant him some dark power.
>>
No. 934464 ID: e20bdf

>He seems to believe that if he frees me I will grant him some dark power.
Good. Let him believe that.

If I'm understanding you explanation the removal of each seal will cause damage when removed and there are multiple seals. Since you will stay trapped if they die or give up after removing one seal it's of utmost importance that this man comprehend the danger those seals represent and that you are not responsible for the attacks.
>>
No. 934471 ID: 70065f
File 155925341808.png - (51.95KB , 522x627 , idk7.png )
934471

>it's of utmost importance that this man comprehend the danger those seals represent and that you are not responsible for the attacks.

I reach out to his mind, and he seizes up immediately. "Jaggniqoth!! He speaks to me!!" The man shouts.

...that's not even my name. Oh well.

I warn him that the seals will harm him if he tries to remove them.

"No!!" He goes irate immediately. "I have come too far to be stopped by sheets of paper and ink!" He draws his sword. "I *will* have my just reward!"

He swings wildly at the seals, severing the strips of paper even as lesions spring forth on his body. He laughs triumphantly and tears at the remains of the seals with his bare hands, then bleeds to death in short order.

The man is now dead, and my only regret is that his blood might stain my dress if it hasn't completely rotted away.
>>
No. 934472 ID: 70065f
File 155925347427.png - (117.35KB , 591x500 , idk8.png )
934472

I can now extend my spirit up to the entrance of the cave, but another seal prevents me from going any further. I'll need to either find new flesh or break the metal locks to free my body if I want to leave this place.
>>
No. 934474 ID: e20bdf

Could you elaborate further on your options?
By "find new flesh" do you mean possessing someone? The homunculus is likely the only option available. What are the drawbacks that would make this course of action less desirable?
What good would it do for you to free your body from the metal locks if you are incapable of moving on your own? Can your remains be magically animated? Can you reverse the degradation?
>>
No. 934478 ID: 70065f
File 155925676670.png - (118.72KB , 419x818 , idk9.png )
934478

>Could you elaborate further on your options?
My spirit is still anchored to my body. I could move my spirit to be anchored to another, but that would mean either sharing with their spirit or shunting them out. I could possess a dead body as well, but I would need to repair it first. The homunculus would be sufficient to get me across the next seal, but unless we fix it it won't be useful for much else.

I'm not fond of possessing another. It is deeply discomforting to do so. I will insist on reshaping the body to fit my image if we must go that route.

>What good would it do for you to free your body from the metal locks if you are incapable of moving on your own? Can your remains be magically animated? Can you reverse the degradation?
If we could break the metal locks it should be simple for me to puppet my remains and remove the spear as well. Then I should be able to just walk out of here.


...I hope.


...I must confess, it is very dark at the bottom of the well and I don't fully know what state my body is in now. It may be impossible for me to reverse the damage at this point.
>>
No. 934480 ID: ad51b8

well you either can grab the dead body or pop into the Homunculus as those are your only options to remove the metal seals. Might do the Homunculus a favor though if you jump into him and start shifting his form as it might actually let the thing live a little longer if you can fix him up while doing so.
>>
No. 934481 ID: e20bdf

I'm not seeing any advantage in keeping your body. Too much uncertainty, too much risk.
Th homunculus have the advantage of still being alive, having weak will and no greater purpose. The owner would have to be undead, but there will be no spirit to co-inhabit, he is likely more powerful and is the master of the homunculus.
Posses the angry man body and recover your original remains with the help of his servant. Maybe you can do a soul bound thing.
>>
No. 934482 ID: b1b4f3

>>934478
Is the homunculus strong enough to break the locks? If not you may have to possess it long enough to modify its body to make it strong enough (and also give it a generally better body so it lives longer)
>>
No. 934485 ID: a9af05

>>934482
Yeah, have the homunculus break the locks, then go back to your own body.
>>
No. 934497 ID: 70065f
File 155928441696.png - (68.33KB , 411x632 , idk10.png )
934497

>Yeah, have the homunculus break the locks, then go back to your own body.

Very well. First order of business: Fixing the wretched thing. I stretch my spirit out to it and begin the spell to change it.

You might not want to watch.

I can sort of understand what the alchemist was going for with this thing. Strange little thing. I'm decently confident it doesn't need all of these organs.
>>
No. 934498 ID: 70065f
File 155928460573.png - (104.22KB , 500x597 , idk11.png )
934498

There we go. Good as new. In fact, better than new. It should be strong enough to bite through the locks. Also, it should be smart enough to follow simple orders. For now this is the best I can do.

...hrmm, I feel fond of the thing. It needs a name.
>>
No. 934499 ID: e95cec

Gregory.
>>
No. 934500 ID: 5a647d

Rasputin
>>
No. 934501 ID: 8688cf

Jagni!
>>
No. 934502 ID: 0fae41

Grinder. For the teeth and the organs and the henching and... whatever else.
There seem to be some handguards on the thing that's pierced you. Maybe Grinder can lower a loop of rope down and catch on them to lift you up, into the light if nothing else.
>>
No. 934503 ID: 91ee5f

>>934497
>You might not want to watch.
Too late. Already saw everything.

>>934498
Earlier, you said you’d end up reshaping a body to better fit your image. So would it be safe to assume that, according to the homunculus‘ form, you’re some kind of reptilian race?

>smart enough to follow simple orders.
Is it also smart enough to give you some basic information of the outside world? Just so you know what’s changed while you’ve been stuck in here.

>name for homunculus?
Risf

Now tell it to go bite through the locks so you can get out of here!
>>
No. 934504 ID: f48188

Patches, since this thing is hind of a patchwork job.

Now let’s see if we can brake out of here
>>
No. 934506 ID: bcc41d

>Name
Loushou the Monk

Tell the thing that biting, mangling, wrenching, tugging, pulling, smashing with a rock or its former master's blade - or any combination thereof - the locks apart would be sufficient repayment for its new name, flesh and extended lifespan.

Further, it appears to be in need of new employ. You fortuitously happen to be in need of an assistant.
>>
No. 934507 ID: f57349

Name the homunculus Jaggniqoth, out of respect for the beliefs of that disgusting idiot who delivered it to you.
>>
No. 934509 ID: 3940d3

Jaggniqoth (or Jagni for short) sounds good for the little guy.

Also is it sentient? I want to know if patting it on the head for doing a good job is actually going to mean anything to it.
>>
No. 934512 ID: 7c1196

>>934509
I like this.
>>
No. 934520 ID: f2320a

>>934498
Jaggniqoth (or Jagni for short) perfect name also in honor of the disgusting man he did free us
>>
No. 934522 ID: a9af05

>>934504
Patches sounds good.

>>934520
Should we really honor him? Just because he freed us, that doesn't mean that he deserves to be honored.
>>
No. 934528 ID: 70065f
File 155933032068.png - (85.40KB , 419x485 , idk12.png )
934528

Jaggniqoth it is. I'm sure it'll grow to fit the name.

>There seem to be some handguards on the thing that's pierced you. Maybe it can lower a loop of rope down and catch on them to lift you up, into the light if nothing else.
I compel Jagni to tear through the locks with it's jaws, then take some rope from the man's pack and haul up that spear. It seems whats left of my body is firmly stuck to it and is hauled up as well.

>would it be safe to assume that, according to the homunculus‘ form, you’re some kind of reptilian race?
I haven't moved my spirit to Jagni yet, so I haven't reshaped it to fit me yet either.

...I'm also embarrased to admit that it seems my power has faded more than I thought. I don't know if I CAN force such a change upon it's small form yet.

But to answer your question, if I recall right I'm more closely related to orcs than anything else. But my bloodline is muddy, and my heritage unclear.

>Further, it appears to be in need of new employ. You fortuitously happen to be in need of an assistant.
Excellent. I will keep it and treasure it.

>Is it also smart enough to give you some basic information of the outside world? Just so you know what’s changed while you’ve been stuck in here.
It seems the thing was made very recently. The most I can tell is that somewhere east of here is a fishing village with an overworked alchemist. Between there and here is an expanse of forest reaching to the top of the mountains.

In my youth this mountain range was the capitol of a vast empire. People would walk the streets shoulder to shoulder every day, and the stench of filth ran strong through the air. Now I'd be lucky to even find a hunting lodge.

It seems the man had set up a small camp nearby, and his supplies are still there. Looks like I won't have to go hungry.

Ah, I can see my body.


...it seems all those years of monks pouring salt on me was actually good for something. I can work with this!!!
>>
No. 934529 ID: 70065f
File 155933039682.png - (92.77KB , 484x623 , idk13.png )
934529

I just need to borrow some of this blood. And a hand.

Might as well replace that rib while I'm there.

These borrowed parts feel filthy, I wish to visit a spring and purify myself soon.

Aha!! It's working! YES! YES!! ahahaHAHAHHAHAHAHA
>>
No. 934530 ID: 70065f
File 155933053259.png - (147.56KB , 560x800 , idk14.png )
934530

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! I rise up from the well and laugh with my own mouth and my own lungs.Ah, to feel the rush of air against my skin again!
>>
No. 934531 ID: 70065f
File 155933056070.png - (87.35KB , 487x492 , idk15.png )
934531

>Also is it sentient? I want to know if patting it on the head for doing a good job is actually going to mean anything to it.

Rigorous studies indicate the answer is yes.
>>
No. 934532 ID: 52a141

So, why were you sealed like that anyway? Wait, what are we?
>>
No. 934533 ID: e20bdf

Can you leave this cave the same way this homunculus entered? You previously mentioned another seal, can you pass it now that you have a physical body? What are your goals after leaving this place?
>>
No. 934535 ID: 7dc36a

Alignment check:

Do you feel the need for vengeance against those who sealed you? And if so, do you feel the need take it out on the questionably complicit, if not innocent?

Do you feel the same sense of fondness for any other forms of life, exceptions given, or are you more pragmatic in dealing with strangers? Has your time here made you reconsider these opinions, or have you always been this way?

In your former life, were you comfortable living in, or forming, an organized society, or preferred to live away from that?
>>
No. 934536 ID: c0641d

What’s your name, then?
>>
No. 934537 ID: a9af05

I'm actually amazed that Jaggniqoth was able to lift your body out of there, seeing as you are many times bigger! It's surprisingly strong for something so tiny!

>Pets
Yes, give it all the pets!

So what now? Got an idea of what to do next?
>>
No. 934543 ID: b1b4f3

>>934531
Alright let's head towards the village and mind-sweep the inhabitants for more information on current events.
>>
No. 934547 ID: ad51b8

welcome back. Anything you can do with that dead body of the guy who bleed out or no point?

Either way I guess it's time for you to head off to that camp and see what you have to work with.
>>
No. 934554 ID: 0fae41

Nobody understands us fleshcrafters. Tragic.
Are these next seals also flesh-destroying or can we just walk around them like that crazy guy?
>>
No. 934555 ID: 70065f
File 155934179247.png - (66.46KB , 487x510 , idk16.png )
934555

>Wait, what are we?
>What’s your name, then?

When I graduated from the Westshore Arcane Academy I was given the name and title of Archmage Tar ahg T'gyhnli. When my armies burned the Academy to the ground they called me Wyldych'til'daen.

But I prefer to go by my birth name, Rake. I am the one they came to call an ancient evil, a vile scourge, a savage beast. I was angry then, and in my anger I bound demons to flesh and called down fire from the skies. I razed the Empire from the edges and marched all the way to the Capitol's streets. I severed the head of their Emperor on the very throne he sat on.

Strangely enough, I can't seem to recall why I was so angry in the first place.

>So, why were you sealed like that anyway?
I was struck down by a young woman touched by sunlight. She drove the very spear that pinned me inside the well through my heart and ended my tyranny. I enjoyed my victory over the Emperor for all of five minutes.

>Yes, give it all the pets!
Absolutely, I bundle up Jagni into my arms so I may adore it even more.

>Do you feel the need for vengeance against those who sealed you? And if so, do you feel the need take it out on the questionably complicit, if not innocent?
If any of the descendents of the people to sealed me still live they are so far removed from the time that they may as well have no relation. No, I feel no need for vengeance at this point.

>Do you feel the same sense of fondness for any other forms of life, exceptions given, or are you more pragmatic in dealing with strangers? Has your time here made you reconsider these opinions, or have you always been this way?
I suppose my heart has softened, considering how readily I'm willing to take Jagni into my care. But I also felt nothing in watching the man die and stealing his flesh to finish my own. I wouldn't describe myself as admirable.

>In your former life, were you comfortable living in, or forming, an organized society, or preferred to live away from that?
...I suppose I've been on both sides of that fence.
>>
No. 934556 ID: 70065f
File 155934220968.png - (162.88KB , 695x478 , idk17.png )
934556

>Can you leave this cave the same way this homunculus entered? You previously mentioned another seal, can you pass it now that you have a physical body?
That seal only prevented my spirit from leaving the cave. Now that I am with body again I can simply walk out.

Or, float, rather. I leave the cave.

Out here there used to be a vast temple, where monks would pray in unison every day and great bells would mark the hour. Every month they've march in file and pour salt over my body with the belief that it'll prevent my return.

At some point the place was converted into a fortress and filled with traps and monsters to prevent tomb raiders from getting to me. But all of it has been erased by time at this point, and now there is only dust.

>So what now? Got an idea of what to do next?
My power is still greatly diminished from what it used to be. If I am to regain it I'll need to relocate my spellbook, my staff, and my hat. If we find any ruins along the way it may bring back some memories as well.

Also, I wish to visit a spring to have myself purified. It will need to be one touched by nature spirits, as any place sanctified by the sun will probably just hurt me.

My stomach growls with a renewed hunger. I suppose the first order of business is to find that camp and get food. Jagni's memory isn't very helpful for remembering the path back, so I'll need to figure out a way on my own.
>>
No. 934557 ID: ad51b8

>Strangely enough, I can't seem to recall why I was so angry in the first place.
maybe a spell misfired and amplified some emotions or something. I mean everyone makes mistakes at some point and who knows what a magical mishap could do.

Anyways was your academy burned because it practiced magic or because of it had different species then the empire? Also any idea if those old hatreds and fears still exist today or no clue?
>>
No. 934561 ID: e8f59c

Are your clothes special? They've survived the years well.

The guy was pretty sloppy so I'm sure the camp is close. Just fan out and search the immediate area?
>>
No. 934562 ID: b1b4f3

>>934556
Can you track his footprints back there? Cast a minor scrying spell perhaps?
>>
No. 934563 ID: e20bdf

It's good that you used to be know by other titles, it reduces the chances of someone recognizing your name when you introduce yourself. But just in case would you be willing to use another mundane name for safety? Since your appearance was a concern I understand you may also not be willing to pretend to be someone else.

Do all springs have mystical properties or are touched springs rare? Are the blessings of the Sun or nature bestow randomly or are they associated with some property of the spring like the geographical location? Is this something you can find on your own or do you need a guide?
>>
No. 934567 ID: a9af05

>>934556
How high can you float upwards? Maybe if you go as high as possible, it'll help you spot the camp?

Of if that guy just recently ate before he came to you, you could follow your nose by smelling recently cooked food?
>>
No. 934569 ID: bcc41d

>Can't remember why mad
Given your apparent stern, but ambiguous, moral compass - probably for a good reason, but not good enough to excuse the means employed. It may be telling that the champion of the Sun waited to strike you down until just AFTER you culled the Emperor.

That, or you've just had enough of feeling salty.

>I suppose my heart has softened.
You've been more lonely than you'd care to admit. You are listening to us, after all.

Also, Jagni is quite the cutie. Nice work!

>Leave for camp
Before you leave - was the spear important or magical? If so, it should stay in your care and/or be put somewhere secure, so it can't be used to repeat the events that got you sealed in the first place.

>Find camp
If you can track, track back. If you can fly, fly up and see what's in the distance. Heck, might help you spot a spring touched by nature spirits.
>>
No. 934571 ID: 1ed92d

>>934556
Consider that over the aeons other mages have probably looted your stuff hundreds of times to empower themselves.

....Also, the young lady touched by sunlight, was she particularly angry at you, or just destroying you out of a dutiful desire to protect what was left of the country? I mean, granted, you probably deserved at least some of being nailed to the bottom of a well for five thousand years, but it feels like a rather personal thing to do to someone.
>>
No. 934576 ID: 0fae41

Forest spring and food can be pursued at the same time. Into the wild green yonder!
>>
No. 934578 ID: a9af05

>>934567
Actually, go back in the cave to that guy's corpse and take his bag and anything useful he has. He might even have a map you could use.
>>
No. 934581 ID: e95cec

>>934571
>five thousand years
How long HAS it been; any idea?

>>934578
>loot corpse
Good idea
>>
No. 934584 ID: 094652

Before you leave, make a dummy and leave it impaled where you are. I doubt the grand magus will personally visit your tomb to ensure your continued demise this decade, but there will be altar girls who come here to perform forgotten traditions to earn marks on their resumes. Putting a skeleton where a skeleton is supposed to go will give you time to build your power base.
>>
No. 934592 ID: 91ee5f

>>934555
So is Jagni a male or a female? And can we give him/her/it some better clothes? Those rags Jagni is currently wearing makes me feel sad just looking at him/her/it.

>>934578
>Loot corpse
Do this. Hopefully he’s got something good on him.
>>
No. 934600 ID: 7dc36a

So you have a new life in, essentially, a new world. Maybe you should take your time to observe and appreciate your environment as you look for camp.
>>
No. 934603 ID: 10c408

>>934600
Considering that the wards were still powerful enough to kill someone and then prevent our spirit from leaving, this isn't the same as a "new world" if it's got one or more of our old enemies still in it.

...Unless we can make peace with them but I'd doubt it.
>>
No. 934613 ID: f57349

>>934529
>I just need to borrow some of this blood.
Does it really count as "borrowing," in the absence of any meaningful intent to eventually return? Seems more like you were accepting the freely-offered charitable donation of his mortal remains. He was clearly warned, and didn't even bother asking for any specific boon. Get in the habit of exchanging gifts of comparable value, rather than stealing as you please, and you'll probably end up with fewer people stabbing you.

Anyway, first, double back to check for any salvageable tools or food-grade meat on the mad adventurer's corpse, then look for footprints. How far off can you magically sense an animal's mind? He might have brought some pack-beast and left it tied up at the camp, or scavengers might be starting to investigate abandoned baggage.
>>
No. 934655 ID: 15a025

Try and find the camp and see what supplies might be there
>>
No. 934698 ID: 70065f
File 155945647297.png - (161.00KB , 563x448 , idk18.png )
934698

>How long HAS it been; any idea?
Beats me. Long enough for stone buildings to crumble and trees to grow in their place. I lack any information beyond that.

>So is Jagni a male or a female? And can we give him/her/it some better clothes? Those rags Jagni is currently wearing makes me feel sad just looking at him/her/it.
Homunculi aren't gifted with such a thing by default, but as is I don't know if it'll develop one in the future.

I suppose I *should* give Jagni a new outfit. I make a note to get to that after we eat.

>Consider that over the aeons other mages have probably looted your stuff hundreds of times to empower themselves.
Those items are as much a part of myself as my very own skin is. If I still exist, then they do as well. In one form or another.

>....Also, the young lady touched by sunlight, was she particularly angry at you, or just destroying you out of a dutiful desire to protect what was left of the country? I mean, granted, you probably deserved at least some of being nailed to the bottom of a well for five thousand years, but it feels like a rather personal thing to do to someone.
I think she was crying when she did it. I can't recall much else about her right now though.

>Before you leave - was the spear important or magical? If so, it should stay in your care and/or be put somewhere secure, so it can't be used to repeat the events that got you sealed in the first place.
It it's magical then it is refusing to reveal such properties to me. I don't wish to carry it either way, honestly. I think I spent enough time with it as is.

>Jagni is quite the cutie. Nice work!
Thank you! I pride myself on my work.

>several suggestions to loot corpse
I rummage through his person. He mostly carries stock travel gear, like a bundle of torches or some flint and tinder. The only objects of note are a bag of silver coins, a necklace of an.... anchor?, a bundle of paper notes (I can't read them), and... I'm not sure what this last object is. It's a glass ball and the needle always points in the same directions regardless of how I tilt it.
>>
No. 934699 ID: 70065f
File 155945672750.png - (217.25KB , 674x382 , idk19.png )
934699

>How high can you float upwards? Maybe if you go as high as possible, it'll help you spot the camp?
>Cast a minor scrying spell perhaps?

I fly up and cast a simple scrying spell to look around.

That must be the fishing village.

>just in case would you be willing to use another mundane name for safety? Since your appearance was a concern I understand you may also not be willing to pretend to be someone else.
One title is as good as another. If you have a name I should use in mind, I'm all ears.

>Anyways was your academy burned because it practiced magic or because of it had different species then the empire? Also any idea if those old hatreds and fears still exist today or no clue?
I burned the academy down. I hated the the people who worked it, I despised the students who flocked it's halls, and I reviled the entire campus they had built.

I did spare the books, however.
>>
No. 934700 ID: 70065f
File 155945695340.png - (193.91KB , 551x407 , idk20.png )
934700

Is... is THAT the camp?

This is pathetic.

>How far off can you magically sense an animal's mind? He might have brought some pack-beast and left it tied up at the camp, or scavengers might be starting to investigate abandoned baggage.
Not particularly far. I don't see any sign of a packbeast or a scavenger currently. But the camp is disheveled so it may have come and gone earlier.

>Are your clothes special? They've survived the years well.
It's a simple spell to conjure new clothes to replace the ones that had rotted away on me. It's not the same as the robes I used to wear though. Far too simple. I loved the colorful cottons from the western nations, but I doubt I'll ever see their patterns again.
>>
No. 934702 ID: 70065f
File 155945742374.png - (259.09KB , 667x535 , idk21.png )
934702

>Do all springs have mystical properties or are touched springs rare? Are the blessings of the Sun or nature bestow randomly or are they associated with some property of the spring like the geographical location? Is this something you can find on your own or do you need a guide?
Springs touched by nature spirits can come from a variety of sources. Places where druids are buried, places sanctified by witches, places fairies are fond of, anything that would draw the attention of wild spirits.

The sun, however, lays out his blessings very intentionally. If we find such a spring it will be obvious. Stone monuments, gold statues, priests. An air of prideful obligation that I despise.

In either case bathing in them will have a purifying effect. It'll remove any curses that are hanging on you, dispel any evil spirits clinging to you, and honestly it just feels nice to do so. In particular, I'd rather not continue to carry any stain that man's blood may bring to me.

It should be simple for me to adjust my scrying spell to highlight the relevant attunement for a spring.


...it seems Jagni is afraid of heights. Time to go back to the ground.

It seems there are three places nearby that could qualify. I can't guarantee that they *are* a spring, but this does mean they are significant in some way.
>>
No. 934703 ID: b1b4f3

>>934698
>glass ball
That's a compass, it always points in the same direction in order to orient yourself. You probably have a better way of knowing which direction you're going though.

>>934700
Head to the camp, steal more of his stuff. Any way to verify it was his, once you're there?

>>934702
Okay, any more details you can give us?
>>
No. 934704 ID: 91ee5f

>>934698
>a bundle of paper notes (I can't read them)
Poor handwriting, unknown language, or both?

If it’s an unknown language, then there’s a good chance you’re going to run into some language barriers with any new languages that have developed while you were imprisoned.

>I'm not sure what this last object is. It's a glass ball and the needle always points in the same directions regardless of how I tilt it.
Sounds like new technologies were invented while you’ve been imprisoned.

Should we pretend we don’t know what a compass is or should we just go ahead and tell Rake what it is and what it does?

>>934700
>Is.. is THAT the camp?
>This is pathetic.
This is pretty much what I expected a crazy guy like him would have.

Well, let’s grab Jagni and fly on over to the camp.
>>
No. 934705 ID: ad51b8

I say start at the camp. May be crap but he might have some things there that might be useful. I mean he didn't strike me as a particularly talented mage but he still might have some useful things at the camp that you could find a use for. Then it's off to the nearest source of magic since one is as good as any other at this point.

Also if you don't mind me asking, what made you hate the academy so much. Everyone an ass, too controlling, gaudy wallpaper, or what?
>>
No. 934708 ID: 0fae41

Dismantle the camp. Anyone following the trail may follow him back to your cave.
Then, why don't you visit the furthest of those three locations? Later I suggest paying a visit to Jagni's maker at the village to see what he's like.
>>
No. 934711 ID: e20bdf

I think you should introduce yourself as Rafaela.
Try to pretend to be less awesome when you meet someone. All this flying, changing your clothes color and the telepathy will certainly make random strangers suspicious.

If you don't find food in the camp just hunt some animal in your way to the closest focal point.
The further one seems more intense than the other. It's a bit suspicious...
>>
No. 934716 ID: 422cea

So, um... What species are you, or were you?

The form you've taken is reminiscent of like 3 different things and none of which I think are probably going to be accurate.
>>
No. 934717 ID: e20bdf

>>934716

>>934528
>But to answer your question, if I recall right I'm more closely related to orcs than anything else. But my bloodline is muddy, and my heritage unclear.
>>
No. 934723 ID: f57349

Camp's closest, so go there first. Eat some food, sort through any supplies, take what you might need and stash the rest inside the cave. Tidy up the campsite and cave entrance with an eye toward minimizing chances anyone might use traces from there to track you. If possible, make it look like the adventurer dragged all his stuff in there by himself and then dropped it down the well by accident or something.

Cleanse yourself before visiting town. Any other distinguishing features among the three possible sites? How far away are they, and how close could a yet-unnoticed fourth one plausibly be?
>>
No. 934724 ID: 58b4f3

Does Rake have a tail? I could've sworn I saw a tail on her.
>>
No. 934729 ID: 2767b5

> Powerful mage
> Divine sun magic hurts
> Needs special wards to stay dead for millennia, and even those failed eventually
> Magic possessions as much a part of you as your flesh - possible catalysts for immortality?
Diagnosis; Lich? Maybe check to make absolute sure that you didn’t turn the spear into a phylactery to escape your fate or something.

> Crying
Which of these phrases trigger recognition in you when remembering her tears? Circle all that apply.
“I’m in mourning for someone you killed.”
“It pains me to do this, ye whom I called friend.”
“It saddens me to recognize how this world has failed you.”
“You didn’t know why I was crying at the time either.”

> Orb thingy
That’s a compass; the magnetic red end of the needle points north, and mundane travelers use it to determine their cardinal orientation.

> What do
Hit the camp, then start on finding a place to get purified.
>>
No. 934733 ID: 055cbc

That's a pretty established bunch of stone buildings for it to be classified as a village. This region must be doing pretty well in terms of finances and population. They could probably help with supplies later.

Camp first, look for food supplies. Then may as well go for the closest potential spring.

>>934729
>That’s a compass
Compass, yes, but with magic, it could be pointing to literally anything navigationaly important. Might be worthwhile to follow the arrow if you are ever at a loss for where to go next. Who knows, maybe it's one of those "object of your greatest desires" pointers.
>>
No. 934738 ID: 70065f
File 155950259707.png - (325.62KB , 761x695 , idk22.png )
934738

>It's a compass.
Fascinating. I'm keeping it.

>Poor handwriting, unknown language, or both?
Unknown language. I'm not surprised to find out that languages have changed since I was downed. I was able to understand that man earlier by reading his mind, but if I want to read this I'll have to find someone else who can read it first.

>Also if you don't mind me asking, what made you hate the academy so much. Everyone an ass, too controlling, gaudy wallpaper, or what?
Much as the rest of my anger, I can't recall the reason for it anymore.

>Does Rake have a tail? I could've sworn I saw a tail on her.
Not to my knowledge, but if one happened to show up I certainly wouldn't complain.

>Which of these phrases trigger recognition in you when remembering her tears?
None of those ring a bell.

>Diagnosis; Lich?
No, my immortality isn't rooted in anything so base. I have my mentor to thank for my immortality. It was one of her many blessings. Or curse, depending on who you ask.

>(several suggestions to) hit the camp and steal his stuff
I float down to his camp and root through his goods. Blankets, clothes, a small pile of knives. A painting of someone's face that he'd apparently stabbed repeatedly. How droll.

But he did carry a supply of bread, wine, and spiced meats.

I've missed food. It's stale and dull but after so long imprisoned it's still impossibly sweet to me.
>>
No. 934739 ID: 70065f
File 155950274944.png - (119.81KB , 545x639 , idk23.png )
934739

>Any other distinguishing features among the three possible sites?
The smallest one is also the closest.

The one to the right was moving. It could have been a witch or a magical beast, but I can't be sure without getting closer. I think it was heading towards the third location.

The third location undoubtedly had the strongest signal. It must be a significant place to nature spirits, so it's the most likely to contain a spring I think.

We'll have to choose one of those three to head towards first.

Also, I said I'd help dress Jagni in something better than rags. But, I honestly don't have much of an eye for fashion. Could you lend a hand with that, please?
>>
No. 934740 ID: e20bdf
File 155950563856.png - (95.33KB , 545x639 , 155950274944tux.png )
934740

>>
No. 934742 ID: bcc41d

>>934739
I've always had a fondness for the 'ninja/desert nomad' mystique. Swaddle him in cloth, so he'll look all the better when unpacked. Also, he'll stand out less (if not completely) as a unique being.

That, or seek refuge in audacity. Make for him the finest, most austentatious clothes you can. Dress him like a lordling.

>where to
Go for the middling-sized source. The other two are going nowhere, and I'm curious what it is / might be doing. It's also on the way towards the largest - and most likely - source of purification, so you'd not have to go out of your way getting there afterwards.
>>
No. 934744 ID: b1b4f3

>>934738
Who was your mentor?
Also, if a Sunlight-touched woman managed to take you out, does that mean you're Moonlight-touched? Darkness-touched? Night-touched?

Check the closest spring-like signal first, it seems to be on the way to the biggest one. Once you reach the biggest one, the last signal will come to you.
>>
No. 934746 ID: 91ee5f

>>934739
>Also, I said I'd help dress Jagni in something better than rags. But, I honestly don't have much of an eye for fashion. Could you lend a hand with that, please?
I’m not all that great at designing clothing, but I’d suggest something similar to what you’re wearing.
>>
No. 934747 ID: 0efe8e

>>934740
i vote for lord jagni.
>>
No. 934748 ID: 094652
File 155950997658.png - (107.80KB , 545x639 , 155950274944.png )
934748

We need to armor our little puff-ball into a killing machine!
>>
No. 934749 ID: 422cea
File 155951021295.png - (73.08KB , 545x639 , adventurer baby.png )
934749

They're a precious chicken nugget that needs to wear light armor with a stylish sash.
>>
No. 934751 ID: f57349

Seems implausible a natural spring would be on the move. Let's head to the brightest waypoint first, just in case that other thing is some other ancient forgotten abomination, on it's way there to destroy the spring or render it useless to you.
>>
No. 934755 ID: 8346a9
File 155951295050.png - (82.16KB , 515x650 , steved.png )
934755

it's good to have you back, pollo. come visit the irc sometime.
>>
No. 934760 ID: 0fae41

Let's visit the hotspot on the go.
>>
No. 934765 ID: 542cdf

You should probably check out the big third one, but if the first one is on the way you could swing by and take a quick look.
>>
No. 934787 ID: 1f689a

>>934755
Can someone explain this meme to me?
>>
No. 934788 ID: 3940d3

>>934787
https://tgchan.org/wiki/Steve%27d
>>
No. 934790 ID: 055cbc

well the moving one is definitely NOT a spring, and if the one it is moving toward IS more likely to be a spring, how do you feel about having a meet-cute with somebody in the middle of you/them bathing?
>>
No. 934793 ID: 70065f
File 155959466516.png - (90.53KB , 437x435 , idk24.png )
934793

Jagni keeps thumping it's tail around. I think that means it likes the look?
>>
No. 934794 ID: 70065f
File 155959477410.png - (203.81KB , 783x456 , idk25.png )
934794

We head to the largest spot first, and arrive ahead of whoever the moving one is.

Aha!!! There can be no doubt, this is definitely a spring I can use. I dive right in immediately!
>>
No. 934795 ID: 70065f
File 155959511126.png - (102.65KB , 448x466 , idk26.png )
934795

I feel so much better already. Finally a good bath in who knows how many years.

>Who was your mentor?
>Also, if a Sunlight-touched woman managed to take you out, does that mean you're Moonlight-touched? Darkness-touched? Night-touched?

My mentor was the very moon given flesh, or so she claimed. She was a very odd woman, always stalking dark hallways wherever she made her home and muttering things. If I asked she would go on for hours about the Sun and how much she hated him. Yet she also kept the blade he made to kill her on her belt at all times. She'd often refer to the sword as one would a lover, even.

But she was also smarter and far greater than any teacher I had at the academy. She didn't just teach me how to wield magic greater than I imagined, she taught me to break it over my knee and reshape it to fit my whims.
>>
No. 934796 ID: 70065f
File 155959543377.png - (309.18KB , 443x881 , idk27.png )
934796

Our guest arrives before too long. She pauses at the edge of the spring and stares curiously at me. I try to get a read on her mind, but she's shielded herself against such an intrusion.

Somehow she must've noticed my attempt, as she cedes a little space to me right after. Just enough to understand her words.

"The name is Callogh Muldoon, from Yaba." She says. "Room for one more in there?
>>
No. 934798 ID: e20bdf

"Sure."
Be polite and vague. Use a fake name but otherwise don't lie to a wizard, just avoid questions you don't want to answer.

Is she the power you detected or is something she is caring? From what you can see, what level of competence you expect of her compared to the wizards from your time? Do you know about Yaba? If not ask her about it.
>>
No. 934799 ID: 7dc36a

Let her, it is a public spring after all.

Though, you should warn her about the contamination you're cleaning off. If you're lucky, she'll help you clean. If you're not, she'd appreciate it at least.
>>
No. 934801 ID: bcc41d

Is Jagni shielded from similar intrusions? She may pick up aught of you through him. Hm. Tell him to stay alert. For all we know, there could've been others with this one.

Further, if this... witch? princess? elf? - woman is learned and familiar with the region, she may know more of the ruins from which you recently escaped. I doubt she'd make the connection immediately unless she is some sort of guardian of these woods or your appearance has remained distinctive through legends, but there is a risk she'll know more than the vicious, desperate fool who died in the vain hope of making a devil's bargain.

>>934796
Smile indulgently at her and share in nature's riches - such as they are (is... is that a screaming tree?) - and share a name. Hm. Mix some truth and suggestive lies - it seems warranted not to reveal your origins, particularly to a magically potent stranger. Proclaim yourself Rake Wytar, from far off, out of West. (far off in time, and you graduated out of Westshore Academy)

Make the observation that she has power, much as you. Are these lands her stomping grounds, then? You've wandered a ways and while you'd hesitate to ever call yourself lost, there are things and places you have yet to find of late. Decent bed and board has been a problem.
>>
No. 934802 ID: b1b4f3

No need to lie about your name, since nobody knows it, and you haven't implied names have power. Give it freely.

I wonder if your mentor was the source of your anger? Like, maybe she brainwashed you and let you loose to destroy everything the Sun loved? The brainwashing either expired with your defeat, or the magic simply wore out during your imprisonment.
Do you remember when you started being angry?
>>
No. 934803 ID: 68c735

Sure, it’s not like you own the spring after all.
>>
No. 934805 ID: 3940d3

Knock yourself out buddy.
>>
No. 934808 ID: a9af05

>>934796
Allow the stranger to come into the water.

If Jagni for some reason isn't also in the water, invite them to also come into the water.
>>
No. 934819 ID: f57349

Introduce yourself as Rake, from the Moon. Reveal just enough of your own mind to make it clear you're not lying. Regardless of whether you're comfortable sharing a bath, make it clear you're not claiming ownership of the spring itself.
>>
No. 934830 ID: 8346a9

>>934796
oh! you understand her, that's good.
>>
No. 934855 ID: e95cec

Accede.

>>934801
Shielding Jagni is a good point.

A new name might be wiser than your old one. Though, Rake is a fine name, in general. If you do go with a new name, uh...Janeth? Ria? Arketha?
>>
No. 934863 ID: 041a6e

Elbereth
>>
No. 934904 ID: 70065f
File 155976070715.png - (165.45KB , 606x513 , idk28.png )
934904

>(is... is that a screaming tree?)
That's just steam from the spring doing it's work. It's a little unnerving to see, but it means that it's working.

>Do you know about Yaba?
Never heard of it.

>Is she the power you detected or is something she is caring? From what you can see, what level of competence you expect of her compared to the wizards from your time?
She's the power I saw, I have no doubt about it. As for her competence I have no way to be sure yet.

>I wonder if your mentor was the source of your anger?
No, I was already consumed by anger by then. But why? The memory still eludes me.

>Is Jagni shielded from similar intrusions?
I don't feel any mental intrusion, but I'll shield Jagni just in case anyway. It seems to be preoccupying itself with learning how to do a doggy paddle and doesn't pay me much mind right now.

>Accede.

"Sure-"

She strips and dives in so fast that I barely have time to finish speaking.

"Finally! Ah've been so long without a proper hot bath that I was starting to thing ah'd always be rancid. Tell me, do you drink much, miss- what was your name again?"

"Rake, from out west."

"West across the ocean!? You've been traveling far! What brings you to a remote island out here?" Her steed carries to her a glass bottle that'd been covered in small runes. "Oh! And do you drink? Ah've got no greater love than a cold drink in a warm bath, and you won't believe it but I got this from a dark elf! On the surface, of all places. It's delicious, ah've got plenty to share."

She seems quite happy to ramble.
>>
No. 934909 ID: 8346a9

>>934904
drinking something magical without knowing what it is is from someone you don't know is just dumb.
make sure you know what it is and that it's safe for you before you agree to anything.
a drink could be nice, but don't get plastered, you just got free and in unknown lands.
>>
No. 934910 ID: e20bdf

"Thanks for the offer but I don't drink."

Tell her you're seeking a new life far from home.
Ask about the dark elf and about Yaba.
>>
No. 934914 ID: 0fae41

Share a drink with this stranger as she regards you with her tall tale. A drow, daring to tread in the wretched daystar's domain? Pull the other one!
>>
No. 934915 ID: b1b4f3

>>934904
A drink? I imagine you could tell if it'll do anything unwelcome to you.
Hmm, if the anger was before your mentor... was it after you graduated from the academy?
>>
No. 934920 ID: 10c408

Yeah, no. Politely decline the drink. If she insists otherwise, then request that she sip first. Even if the drink isn't spiked with some form of poison, if it's a very potent brew then it would be child's play to drown an inebriated individual such as yourself.
>>
No. 934923 ID: a9af05

>>934904
>No memory of anger.
Maybe you got drunk?

>Jagni seems to be preoccupying itself with learning how to do a doggy paddle and doesn't pay me much mind right now.
How adorable!

>Take a sip of offered drink?
Politely decline.
>>
No. 934929 ID: ad51b8

Nah, keep your drink. I thank you for the offer but I always feel like a cheapskate when I'm offered something but don't have anything to return the favor.
>>
No. 934952 ID: c0641d

"Baths and the drink don't mix well for me; I must decline your vintage, but perhaps I can have its story instead? Tell me about this drow."
>>
No. 934956 ID: bb78f2

>>934904
I'm exploring the local ruins. I try and learn from old things, you know. Found some nearby, couldn't tell much from it unfortunately, I found a stray humonculus though, and reshaped him. Aint he cute?
>>
No. 934976 ID: f57349

Politely decline the drink unless you're totally certain it's safe. Allow rambling to continue, ask occasional friendly questions, but remember to never completely trust any single-source intel.
>>
No. 934984 ID: 277bef

It’s been a while since i’ve touched any drink, but sure, no harm in it. What about you, who are you and where are you from?

Let’s keep being friendly, we haven’t got any reason to be paranoid just yet.
>>
No. 934989 ID: 10c408

>>934984
We don't need to be full on paranoid, but some caution is wise. We did spend a millennia or two decaying under the earth after being slain by the nameless champion of the sun god who no doubt would put us right back in the pit for our crimes.
>>
No. 935037 ID: de7a00

Do you remember there being an ocean west of here?
>>
No. 935102 ID: e8f59c

>>934989
Yeah this is good advice. Don't explain anything you don't have to but don't be too tightlipped either.

You're on a journey to find yourself! Going to see some of the world and think about your future.
>>
No. 935180 ID: 1ed92d

>>934904
Mention that you were imprisoned for a long time and now you're just wandering around, having finally completed your time.
>>
No. 935197 ID: 15a025

Well Callogh seems nice. Decline on the drink for now though. Ask her about Yaba?
>>
No. 935333 ID: 70065f
File 156019668925.png - (170.19KB , 641x462 , idk29.png )
935333

>Hmm, if the anger was before your mentor... was it after you graduated from the academy?
Most certainly. I can still recall the ceremony where I was crowned Archmage. The whole town had come and strewn flowers down the streets in my honor. My name was sung from the highest towers of the academy. I was the happiest I'd ever been to have earned such an honor. What *happened* to me????

>Decline
I politely decline her offer. She just shrugs and drinks it herself. "More for me!" She says.

"But tell me more about where you got it. A drow walking under the daystar's light? Surely you're pulling my leg!"

"It's true! 'e even manages a tavern! 'is name was uhh.. Oh what was it. Dorian... Nicholas? Ahh, it's escape me. But 'e traveled with a gnome, about yea high, named Sprocket! She was an odd duck too! But tell me about yerself, what brings ya here?"

"I was imprisoned for a while, served my time, and now I'm a free woman again. Figured I'd travel east and start anew, find myself, explore some ruins, who knows where it'll take me."

>Do you remember there being an ocean west of here?
That doesn't seem right. This place was the center of a vast empire, it wouldn't make sense for such a grand city to be built on a remote island.

>Ask her about Yaba?
"So what is this Yaba you mentioned?"

"You've never heard of Yaba!?" She seemed shocked. "Why it's only the grandest city o' witches you'll see in your life! And mah home. Well, adoptive home. The whole city was built upon the roots of a great tree, and every day ah see more o' the cutest nature spirits crawling it's branches. And don't get me started on the library! Ah've traveled far and wide and it's by far grander than any else I've seen."

"Then what brings you out here in the middle of nowhere?"

"Swords."

"...swords?"

"Well, a sword. I'm searching for blades of legend. Like Fjlyndrsvtch or Baruldobane. Weapons that supposedly sundered mountains or could pierce through the very sky. Oh don't get me wrong, ah've no dreams of turning to a hero! It's for research, honest!" She downs her drink in short order and relaxes against the stones. "Ya wouldn't happen to know about any of those, would'ja?"
>>
No. 935334 ID: 10c408

"I honestly can't remember."

Do NOT mention the spear.
>>
No. 935335 ID: 8346a9

well do you? i bet you used to own a bunch of kickass magic swords.
don't tell her that, it's none of her business. i bet they were awesome though.
>>
No. 935336 ID: ad51b8

After being sealed away for who knows how long not sure if you would know of any swords like that. Then again their might have been legends of powerful swords back in your day that may have been forgotten. Maybe ask if she's heard about any of those old legends and tell her about any she might not have heard about. Though I have no clue where you'd find any of them.

And she asked for swords so leave the spear out of this conversation.
>>
No. 935361 ID: b1b4f3

The spear is either entirely mundane or has a powerful anti-scrying enchantment on it. So basically we don't know if it's legendary at all. It's also not a sword.

Tell her of weapons that would fit her description, but make it sound like you're retelling ancient folklore.
>>
No. 935391 ID: e5b36b

Do you know of any magic you could use to look back into the past or recover lost memories? Whatever made you angry was clearly significant to you, and the fact you can't remember what it was is rather strange.
>>
No. 935399 ID: 277bef

Sorry, none spring to mind right now.

While we’re on the topic of legends have you ever heard of something called jaggniqoth? I met some guy a while back mumbling to himself about it but he left before I could ask and now I’m curious.
>>
No. 935403 ID: 0fae41

"Was always more of a fisticuffs woman myself."
>>
No. 935484 ID: bcc41d

>Fjlyndrsvtch or Baruldobane
Have you actually heard of either of these? Epic blades of heroes sound like something that might actually survive the ages.

The names might've changed, mind. You could ask of their attributes, other than the cleaving of mountains or piercing of skies, and see if they match up to your ken.

>continent now an island
Maybe the whole thing about swords cleaving mountains ain't just for show and something messed up the world but good in your absence. Something must've caused the decline of the Empire, certainly - and apparently it wasn't you. At least not directly.

>"know about any of those, would'ja?"
You can share a tidbit or two - ancient legend (i.e. history, to you), myth or supposition - but say anything else she'll have to barter out of you... although you'll have to have a think of aught you know is actually of any worth to her. You've read a fair few tomes in the past, but that was prior to your sentence, and now the ol' noggin isn't quite what it was.

Pry a bit in return. Ask her why she is keen on the research. You've a notion that anyone wanting to analyze the power to split mountains usually has some idea on how such potent might could - or should - be used.

>Yaba, city of witches
Witches b good or bad? Were they around in your time? If being around spellcasters is of no great risk to reveal your nature and past, Yaba might sound like a suitable new base camp. The library would certainly be a good place to visit (or possibly dangerous, if you stumble over some zealous historian who might recognize you). Assuming you can learn the writings of these lands without too much trouble, anyway.

Ask where lies Yaba from here - and is it really that keen on visitors from afar?
>>
No. 935520 ID: 70065f
File 156032420876.png - (129.29KB , 547x502 , idk30.png )
935520

>well do you? i bet you used to own a bunch of kickass magic swords.
I handled many blades, but none so great as to carry a name through the ages. Most ended up sundered in my hands.

>Have you actually heard of either of these?
Fjlyndrsvtch is the name of the blade my mentor carried. I wouldn't know where to find it now. The other is completely new to me.

>Do you know of any magic you could use to look back into the past or recover lost memories?
I could certainly try, but such an act would require a more involved ritual. We would need space and resources I don't have right now, as well as time in absolute solitude for such scrying. Maybe if we find a wizard's tower we can borrow it and lock up for a while.

>"I honestly can't remember."
"I honestly can't remember." I give a shrug. "But I'm new to this place, so I don't think any of my knowledge would be very helpful to you to begin with."

She sighed. "Ah figured as much."

>While we’re on the topic of legends have you ever heard of something called jaggniqoth? I met some guy a while back mumbling to himself about it but he left before I could ask and now I’m curious.
I ask her that.

"Jaggniqoth? Ah think that was some lich that got struck down a long time ago." She paused. "Or married recently. Probably the former though!"
>>
No. 935522 ID: 70065f
File 156032568769.png - (150.20KB , 492x535 , idk31.png )
935522

>Ask her why she is keen on the research. You've a notion that anyone wanting to analyze the power to split mountains usually has some idea on how such potent might could - or should - be used.

"Well!" She stands up and stretches out her arms. "Ah have this theory ah've been studying. Ya see, arcane energy permeates the body via the blood and rises up through the skin when we channel it into our spells. But!" She flexes the fingers on her right hand in sequence then holds them out. "A more than fair amount of power is lost in the transfer. Ah learned ah could bypass this by giving my blood a more direct contact to the surface." She focuses for just a moment and flowers begin to burst forth from her arm. They tear through the skin with vicious thorns and sharpened leaves, sending drops of her blood scattering around her. Bright crimson flowers now adorn her forearm. She's beaming with pride, but also wincing from the pain of bringing them out. "Ah planted seeds inside of myself that pull my blood up inside of them."

"Fascinating." I lean forward to look closer. This was completely new to me. "But where does the sword come in?"

"Well ya see, metals like iron don't let the energy flow through them at all. Wizards'll channel their power through staves of wood, but even that causes more loss. Ah believe that these ancient blades of legend are made of a material that can channel such energy with ease, thus enabling them to carry the grand powers they become known for." She closes her hand around a mock handle that the plants grow in her grip. "Just imagine! If ah found such a blade and wove these plants into the handle, ah'd have a wholly connected conduit from mah heart to the tip of the blade!"

"And then what?"

She seems confused by my question. "What do ya mean?"

"You'll have created a conduit for weaving your magic greater than any before, but then what do you do with it?"

She shrugged. "Ah don't know! But ah'm not in this for the power, ah'm here to prove it's possible! Maybe ah'll write some papers on it and take a well deserved vacation when it's over."

>Witches b good or bad? Were they around in your time?
Could be anything in that regard. The witches in my time were a result of mixing druidic traditions with arcane pursuits. They tended to be wiser than the wizards, and mingled closely with nature spirits, but at their core they still bent the world to their will via arcane power. It seems not much has changed in that regard.

>If being around spellcasters is of no great risk to reveal your nature and past, Yaba might sound like a suitable new base camp. The library would certainly be a good place to visit (or possibly dangerous, if you stumble over some zealous historian who might recognize you). Assuming you can learn the writings of these lands without too much trouble, anyway.
I like this plan. If nothing else I'd be able to pore through their library and catch up on everything I missed.

>Ask where lies Yaba from here - and is it really that keen on visitors from afar?
"A few days by boat east and then a week north. Visitors are common too! Many come hoping to learn our ways. But uh... be careful to respect our traditions as well. Ya could get hexed good if you're caught messing with a wisp ya shouldn't, ya know?" She pauses for a moment to look me over. "But ya seem plenty capable. There's a boat heading east tomorrow at noon. If'n you make it ah can take ya with me the rest of the way to Yaba from there."
>>
No. 935525 ID: 0fae41

Sure, what a great chance to see how magical studies have progressed (or backslid) in your absence!
>>
No. 935526 ID: d581db

Ask her if that flower thing hurts when she has them bloom ask if it would be possible for her to try and grow a plant along with them that could numb the pain or if that would be an impractical waste of mana?
>>
No. 935531 ID: e20bdf

Her theory must be wrong or incomplete since you were able to use magic without having any blood.
Didn't you say your spirit were moving at a certain distance from your body? Maybe your method of casting spells comes direct from your free moving spirit while her soul is permanently in her core so every magical feat require material channeling. If those process aren1t exclusive to each of you this could be an indication of a change in methodology over time from astral projection to blood magic.

Thanks her for the information and offer to heal her hand.
>>
No. 935533 ID: e8f59c

Seems almost too good to be true, go for it. Any little tricks you can show her back?
>>
No. 935536 ID: 91ee5f

>>935520
>"Jaggniqoth? Ah think that was some lich that got struck down a long time ago." She paused. "Or married recently. Probably the former though!"
Sounds like that’s supposed to be you. Are you a lich? Or have the people forgotten about you to the point that they got their facts wrong?

>>935522
>plants coming out of her
Ask her if this means that she doesn’t need to eat and only needs to drink water and get plenty of sunshine? Because if she’s drinking the water now, apologize for giving the water a weird taste by being in it.
>>
No. 935538 ID: 189b8c

>>935531
Lets offer to join her on her research quest! We may even get a guide for Yaba out of it. Offer your spirit ideas and offer to heal her arm.
>>
No. 935556 ID: b1b4f3

>>935522
Do you need the seeds? Why not just make a focusing implement that pierces the hand and makes direct contact with your blood that way?
If the material is what counts, I wonder if that spear would work after all? It is very old. Ask her to come check it out with you after the bathing's done.
>>
No. 935562 ID: 745eba

>>935556
Only if we're sure we can trust her. The fact that there's a freshly killed dead guy next to a recently broken locked cell, in the middle of no where where she just happened to find us, a person saying they had recently been imprisoned will make it fairly obvious that something's up
>>
No. 935567 ID: 094652

>Stick materials into your blood vessels so they conduct mana directly from the blood
"Okay... genius but outright dangerous. You do realize metal poisoning is one of the lead causes of insanity, right?"

>Where to
"Can we hit a few dungeons first? I'm short on cash but I practiced my spellcasting in prison."
>How could you practice in prison? Don't prisons have wards?
"I MADE the prison wards. *feh* Warden was a corrupt cheap-ass who got away with budget cuts and incompetence because there were guards from like four different cities coming in every day to check on 'The Kingslayer', and they did most of the enforcing while the local guards slacked off or forced us to do their work. I got parole when the gov found out, same as anyone who wasn't the KS."
>>
No. 935589 ID: 70065f
File 156039687698.png - (255.08KB , 650x584 , idk32.png )
935589

>Ask her if this means that she doesn’t need to eat and only needs to drink water and get plenty of sunshine? Because if she’s drinking the water now, apologize for giving the water a weird taste by being in it.
"So do you feed of sunlight like a plant?"

She laughs. "No! If ah did ah'd sure save money on food though."

>Didn't you say your spirit were moving at a certain distance from your body? Maybe your method of casting spells comes direct from your free moving spirit while her soul is permanently in her core so every magical feat require material channeling. If those process aren1t exclusive to each of you this could be an indication of a change in methodology over time from astral projection to blood magic.
When I was taught magic I was taught to draw energy up from beneath the earth and into my spirit. The process was very dangerous, and I saw more than my fair share of students go up in flames from trying to draw too much into themselves. Later my mentor taught me to draw energy from the aether between planes, and in so doing changed the very nature of my magic with such a raw chaotic force.

But we didn't carry arcane power in our blood back then, so the practice of blood magic didn't exist. Am I capable of it now that I've stolen that man's blood? I *need* to know more about this.

>offer to heal her hand.
>Ask her if that flower thing hurts when she has them bloom ask if it would be possible for her to try and grow a plant along with them that could numb the pain or if that would be an impractical waste of mana?
"That's impressive, but it looks rather painful. Have you tried adding numbing herbs to yourself for that."

"Ah have, but the plants exist constantly within me. Ah was numb all the time, bloomin' or not. Besides," She flexes her hand and then focuses again. The bramble on her arm folds back into itself and fades back into her arm. The leaves bend into the shape of her flesh, then merge back into her and leave only red marks where they had burs through her skin. "They do a fine enough job healing me when I'm done."

>Why not just make a focusing implement that pierces the hand and makes direct contact with your blood that way?
"Why not make an implement to pierce your hand and make direct contact with your blood that way?"

"The plants draw my blood up and distribute them through the leaves and petals of the flowers. If ya design an implement that gives as much surface area as these plants, can channel the energy out as effectively as the thin layers of the flowers, and won't bleed me to death ah'd love to see it."

>Any little tricks you can show her back?
Given the base difference between our techniques I'm not sure I'd have much meaningful advice to give yet, honestly.

She looks down at her shoulder as the last bit of ghostly steam trails off of her. "Looks like ah'm all clean first." She clambers out of the water and pulls a ring out of her bag. "So, Yaba, thinkin' you'll go?"

"Have a lady like you take a stranger like me to her home city? Seems too good an offer to be true."

"Don't go thinkin' ya special, ah already set to go home." She spins the ring onto her finger, and a gust of wind spirals out of it and over her, drying her off in short order. She dresses just as quickly as she had stripped earlier. "Don't be late for the boat or ah'll be makin' the trip all by my lonesome."

>mention the spear
>don't mention the spear
She hops onto her... goat? I'm not familiar with that animal. This is my last chance to decide if I'm going to tell her about the ruins I came out of and the spear inside of it or not.

1) Tell her
2) Don't tell her
3) _______
>>
No. 935590 ID: b1b4f3

>>935589
...probably shouldn't. Best to delay any knowledge of the breakout until later. You want to at least get your first relic without anyone knowing what's up. Also, once you've been escorted to town you'll have a way to contact her again in the future, which means you can just go retrieve the spear and deliver it to her for analysis. I'm not sure just yet what explanation you could give as to its origin without also letting the cat out of the bag.
>>
No. 935591 ID: 91ee5f

>>935589
You did say that you’ve been with that spear long enough and didn’t want to be around it anymore. It might be best to not tell her and hope that she doesn’t find it.

How much longer do you plan on soaking in the water? Are you clean yet?

And where’s Jagni? Is it still trying to to doggy paddle? Hopefully it didn’t drown while you were busy talking to.....wait, did she ever tell us her name? You told her your name, but I don’t think she ever gave you her name!
>>
No. 935592 ID: 094652

Don't tell her just yet. The less people know about your identity, the longer you have before the church sends hit squads after you. You need to learn if she chatters after drinking.
>>
No. 935594 ID: 0fae41

Don't tell her. This is a new beginning.
>>
No. 935596 ID: 506f96

I dont see a reason to.
>>
No. 935615 ID: ad51b8

>2) Don't tell her
>>
No. 935653 ID: f2320a

>>935589
Don't tell her. This is a new beginning.
we should possibly go back sometime and make something to guard the one weapon that can defeat us that somehow this guy that tried to free us did know where it was
>>
No. 935837 ID: 70065f
File 156058360104.png - (174.14KB , 762x496 , idk33.png )
935837

>Don't

I keep quiet about the spear. She gives her goat a tap to start walking. "Don't forget, tomorrow at noon! If'n you need me before then ah'll be staying at the Skylark near the docks tonight." With that she gives a loud 'iah!' and her goat kicks off to ride back into the forest.

>How much longer do you plan on soaking in the water? Are you clean yet?
I need a bit more time before I'm all done.

>And where’s Jagni? Is it still trying to to doggy paddle?
Jagni seems to have figured out how to drift along the surface like some sort of fuzzy gator.

"How are you doing, Jagni?" I ask more for my own amusement than expecting any response. Jagni stretches out it's jaw into a wide yawn and barks out a garbled "Waghi!"

Huh, I guess it can talk already. That was quick. I pet it's head and tell it good job, and that seems to amuse it greatly.

>wait, did she ever tell us her name?
She said her name is Callogh. Or Muldoon. I'm not actually sure which is her or her family's name.

It takes a while but eventually the steam coming off of me stops twisting into wretched shapes, then thins out entirely. I'm all clean now, and I haven't felt this nice in quite some time. Where should I head to next?
>>
No. 935841 ID: 0fae41

Firstly, wherever you left your clothes.
Then, to the town.
>>
No. 935847 ID: e20bdf

You could take a look on the third magical thing before visiting the town.
>>
No. 935855 ID: ad51b8

well you got a day to kill so if you want you could check out that last magic sight you saw just to see what it is and then head towards town. Hopefully once we get their we can get a basic history lesson on what happen since you took your nap.
>>
No. 935968 ID: 15a025

Check out the other magical place you saw.
>>
No. 935979 ID: 3d1dd5

Magic thingies would be a good thingy to look at. Especially since the style of magic in common use seems to have shifted, it would pay to get more familiar with it so you can blend in.
>>
No. 936886 ID: 70065f
File 156126664278.png - (258.96KB , 673x574 , idk34.png )
936886

>Head to the third magic thingy
I dry myself off and reclothe myself before heading off to the third point with Jagni. It doesn't take long before I find myself in a small clearing in the woods. Jagni happily runs off to sniff at flowers scattered around the area.

I was sure I saw magic here from a distance, but now that I'm here I don't see what would give off such a signal. Something must be hidden.
>>
No. 936887 ID: 0fae41

Check under every tree.
>>
No. 936890 ID: 91ee5f

>>936886
>I don't see what would give off such a signal.
Don’t look for it, feel for it. You can still sense it, right?

Try under that big rock you’re floating over.
>>
No. 936891 ID: ad51b8

is it in that rock you're floating over?
>>
No. 936895 ID: b1b4f3

There's a bridge. That's the only real landmark here, check under it. Well, that or the rock, there's an interesting split in it.
If you can't find it from a cursory inspection you could recast the scrying spell.
>>
No. 936917 ID: 10c408

Make sure there aren't any snakes or other dangerous fauna around that'd make short work of Jagni while you search

and as far as where to search... Well, the rock we're above, the bridge over what seems to be a very small creek and the tree adjacent to that are the only visible landmarks so let's start there.
>>
No. 936947 ID: a80ef8

Almost looks like a path and stairs leading up between two trees on your left. Could that be an entrance?
>>
No. 937080 ID: f57349

If you wanted to conceal something powerful in this clearing, how would you go about doing so?
>>
No. 937413 ID: 70065f
File 156165867339.png - (224.48KB , 845x689 , idk35.png )
937413

>Check under every tree.
Nothing but roots

>There's a bridge. That's the only real landmark here, check under it.
Perfect place for a troll to take a nap, I suppose. But nothing magical is hidden under here.

>Make sure there aren't any snakes or other dangerous fauna around that'd make short work of Jagni while you search
If there was any here before, they've since fled with my arrival. Animals seem to be afraid to approach me.

>If you wanted to conceal something powerful in this clearing, how would you go about doing so?
There's a Shadow Plane very near to our own, if I wanted to keep something safe and hidden I'd fold it into that plane. Finding something hidden there can be impossible without the knowledge of where and how it was hidden. But doing so would also make it impossible to find by magical scrying.
>>
No. 937414 ID: 70065f
File 156165881438.png - (164.96KB , 635x792 , idk36.png )
937414

>is it in that rock you're floating over?

It seems the rock is actually the peak of an old pillar. It's been worn down and buried by the ages so whatever features it may have once had are now lost to me. But I can feel that it's been soaked in a great amount of blood. It's a rancid sort of stench that clings to it.

The thing I saw is buried near the base of this pillar. Something about it almost feels familiar to me though.
>>
No. 937416 ID: b1b4f3

>>937414
A sacrificial altar? I bet there's a knife buried under there. May as well excavate the entire area too to see if you can find any other archaeological shit.
>>
No. 937422 ID: 0fae41

Jagni, dig!
>>
No. 937425 ID: 765049

Well, check it out!
>>
No. 937427 ID: bcc41d

Be careful not to touch it until you know what it iiiis~! You never know with these lost artifacts of ancient-probably-your-civilization!

And if it's some sort of sacrificial blade, well, you can analyze and then gift-wrap it to your new acquaintance.
>>
No. 937429 ID: 10c408

..Hm. Current evidence suggests the pillar is some kind of sacrificial altar or some such, but I'd like to suggest an alternate theory.

When you were struck down, how far did your enemies move your body before it was entombed, warded and forgotten about? We may have just found an important load-bearing pillar from the city you conquered with your armies.
>>
No. 937445 ID: ad51b8

what is it that makes it so familiar?
>>
No. 937463 ID: c3f16e

>>937414
Welp, lets excavate the area then! If you can, just lift up all of the dirt around whatever this place is.
[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [Last 100 posts]

Delete post []
Password  
Report post
Reason