[Burichan] [Futaba] [Nice] [Pony]  -  [WT]  [Home] [Manage]

Report completed threads!

[Catalog View] :: [Archive] :: [Graveyard] :: [Rules] :: [Discussions] :: [Wiki]

[Return]
Posting mode: Reply
Name
Email
Subject   (reply to 936716)
Message
File []
Embed   Help
Password  (for post and file deletion)
  • Supported file types are: GIF, JPG, MP3, MP4, PNG, SWF, WEBM
  • Maximum file size allowed is 20000 KB.
  • Images greater than 250x250 pixels will be thumbnailed.
  • Currently 3400 unique user posts. View catalog

File 156116676720.png - (137.81KB , 1280x1024 , AQ0terribletypeface.png )
936716 No. 936716 ID: e7c7d3

Alright, finally doing this! Hope people enjoy!
Expand all images
>>
No. 936717 ID: e7c7d3
File 156116680333.png - (102.05KB , 1280x1024 , AQ1illumination.png )
936717

I've been told that I have too much imagination. That I tend to get lost in fancy and risk losing touch with our reality. There is an addictive allure to the old stories. Where the god's walked among woman and where women could become gods! I cannot deny that I often give myself to indulge in the old stories. This isn't the first book I've commissioned that depicts ancient demigods and legends. The old pagans certainly had an optimism that seems to be missing from our current age; although, the seers would definitely not tolerate such blasphemous courage today.
I consider my imagination a boon. It helps me be prepared for the unexpected. And, I guiltily admit, there's a part of me that is hoping that with a bit of cleverness I too could overcome the elder deities like the demigod in these tales.
>>
No. 936718 ID: e7c7d3
File 156116684481.png - (199.81KB , 1280x1024 , AQ2Fwupintro.png )
936718

But still, I always return to reality...
The soft clacking of claws on stone alert me to the presence of my manservant, who with a polite cough announces his presence.
"Milady? The royal messenger is ready and is awaiting in the meeting hall." Finally! That woman must be the slowest eater in the entire kingdom.
"Very well, I will be there in but a moment. Would you please bring us some wine? I think some of the Torlarrian stock would do fine." The servant gives a bow before heading off. I close my book and place it back among my meager collection. Even for a countess, books are a luxurious hobby.

Now I have a few guesses as to why the messenger is here. The most likely I feel is that the tension between our neighbors is about to break and the queen is ordering for my levies. In the same tone, it could be a call for a council of nobles before such a war breaks out. The queen does so like to get a feel for her realm's mood before committing herself. It could also be about the queen gaining affirmations for her heir's legitimacy, but I wouldn't think that she would need to seek my allegiance.
Well, either way I suppose I ought to go and present myself to the messenger.

And by what name does our dear countess present herself as?
>>
No. 936720 ID: ad51b8

Frillous Goldheart

Although most just call her Countess Goldheart
though a few of the unimaginative sort just call her Frills.
>>
No. 936723 ID: a9af05

>>936720
>Frills
I like it! I'll go for this!
>>
No. 936746 ID: 977456

Get the messenger blind drunk to ply them for information.
>>
No. 936749 ID: 91ee5f

>>936720
>Frillous Goldheart
>Countess Goldheart
Yes.

>Frills
Only our closest friends are allowed to occasionally call us that in private. Anyone else and we’ll kick their ass!
>>
No. 936750 ID: 094652

How about Goldcrest? People don't always like visualizing that weird, pulsating engine of life every time they hear a name.
>>
No. 936751 ID: 790132

>>936720
I like this, but with >>936749 addendum that only close friends get to call us Frills.
>>
No. 936843 ID: 9c3417

>>936750
Yeah, Frillous Goldcrest sounds good to me. Something is particularly regal about the crest suffix.

Doomsby, your writing is fantastic. It manages to remain clear and concise while evoking that noble eloquence. Well played.
>>
No. 937530 ID: e7c7d3
File 156175221331.png - (274.29KB , 1280x1024 , AQ3hallway.png )
937530

>>936720
>>936750

I am Countess Frillous Goldcrest. The Goldcrest name is not an ancient one, but my mother and her mother have worked hard to make it respectable. Now it falls to me to keep our legacy prospering. Among my sisters I'm at times just known as "Frills," although they have long since learned to expect sisterly retribution whenever they call me by that name. I've always felt that my frills made me look a bit too masculine, too long for a proper lady of the court. Of course, my siblings pick up on this immediately and so even to this day call me Frills in jest. Mind you, I predict I shall be called worse things in the future if I were to follow my ambitions.

>>936746

Do you feel that's really necessary? It is her duty to give me information after all. Perhaps just a bit tipsy will do
>>
No. 937531 ID: e7c7d3
File 156175229180.png - (279.49KB , 1280x1024 , AQ4themessenger.png )
937531

I short time I arrive to the meeting hall, a drab room with little decorations but the only on large enough for regular entertainment of guests and court meetings. As soon as I enter everyone dutifully rises to their feet. The messenger does a polite bow and I notice my youngest sister and my chancellor on the other side of the room, respectfully keeping out of the immediate conversation.

Good, it'll save me from having to summon them later.

"Respectful wishes and greetings, oh countess." the messenger begins, "I see your chair still sits alone at the head of the hall."
"I do not see why that concerns you." I answer, perhaps more coolly than I should have. "Besides, you should be more than aware of how volatile the landscape is at this time. I would prefer not to match blood while it is boiling."
The messenger does another bow. "No disrespect meant, milady, merely commenting." The faint grin on her face says otherwise. "The Queen, however, is always concerned with the stability of her realm, and nothing threatens that stability quite like the lack of a prospective heir."
I wave to her to be seated as I take my own place in my chair. "Stability is more than just lineage," I say. "The Moorelms were testament to that and the Goldcrests would not be managing these lands if it were not true. The Queen needn't worry about the stability of my lands." The messenger opens her mouth to counter, but I interrupt. "what news do you bring?"

What is the royal message about?
A.) The war
B.) The heir
C.) Levees
D.) Other_____

>>
No. 937532 ID: e7c7d3

>>936843
Thanks! That's really encouraging to hear! Hopefully I'll be consistent with it. ;P
>>
No. 937533 ID: 0fae41

The heir. She wants those grandkids, and she wants them now!
>>
No. 937534 ID: 1ce4e4

>>937531
The war effort sounds important. That or levees.
>>
No. 937547 ID: ad51b8

A.) The war
>>
No. 937552 ID: cbdfa8

>>937531
do you mean Levies?
>>
No. 937555 ID: e7c7d3

>>937552
Oops, misspelled there. Unless you want the royal message to be about damming issues.
>>
No. 937556 ID: 4f51b2

>>937531
The heir
>>
No. 937560 ID: cbdfa8

>>937555
>>937531

C.) Levees
as in Troops
>>
No. 937646 ID: 189b8c

>>937531
Levees

We need to address the problem of the river flooding every few years.
>>
No. 937652 ID: a9af05

>>937531
The heir

Why else would the messenger be talking to you about an heir? It was an attempt to break the ice on how the royal message is about an heir!
>>
No. 937655 ID: f505e7

the heir sounds more important
>>
No. 937683 ID: 91ee5f

>>937652
This.
>>
No. 938662 ID: e7c7d3
File 156269347760.png - (262.47KB , 1280x1024 , AQ5traceyofamily.png )
938662

Wordlessly, the messenger pulls out a large, ragged book. I cringe a little. This is not a book that is enjoyed, or even truly read. It is a book that is used, and it bears many marks and tears as testament to such. I say a small prayer for the poor thing while the messenger proceeds to unfold a section of pages seeming to detail a couple of family lineages.

>>937652

"The Queen wishes to affirm your support for her heir." The messenger states, her tone becoming much more formal and business-like.
"Of course," I respond. "She has been confirmed legitimate by both the courts and the seers, and I am not so proud as to think that I have the influence to present my own pretender to the throne."
"Be it as it may, she is still a bastard and many of the southern nobles feel that there is someone more legitimate for the throne." I tilt my head a bit. What sort of machinations are the southern nobles plotting? As if reading my mind, the messenger continues. "Since the heir has been legitimized, the southern nobles feel that the entire... indiscretion between the Queen and the high sun prince has also been indirectly legitimized. If we ere to accept this logic, then we must also consider the prince's children in terms of succession and not just the Queen's. As the eldest child of the prince, they are arguing that Lady Terella is the actual heir to the throne, and not the bastard."

I ponder this for a moment. Why the southern nobles are doing this is not difficult to figure out. If there is high sun blood on the throne, then many of the nobles can start rallying for ancient clams in the high sun lands. It is the how that has me perplexed. Their argument is weak at best and none of the other nobles will support them in it. So the only way that their heir would make to the throne is through a civil war. But that would be a losing fight. Normal it would, anyways, but if the realms levies were already spent from fighting a different war... Is that their angle? Threaten to divide the realm while war looms over us all? It's a risky plot if that is the case. The Queen would not be the first to suppress a rebellion while keeping our enemies at bay at the same time.

This requires more thought.
A.) Ask about this high sun heir.
B.) Ask about the other noble's intentions
C.) Ask the chan-


"Ma'am! ma'a- MI'LADY!"
>>
No. 938663 ID: e7c7d3
File 156269350280.png - (262.30KB , 1280x1024 , AQ6Thentheres'thisguy.png )
938663

"You need to se- Your attention is needed immediately! On the westside!"

C.)Go with the guard about this apparent emergency.
>>
No. 938671 ID: 0fae41

C to it. This better be good, guard. I was about to pore over a fascinating genealogy treatise.
>>
No. 938692 ID: 91ee5f

C
>>
No. 938694 ID: ad51b8

>C.)Go with the guard about this apparent emergency.

Apologies, but if this is something that my guard feels the need to interrupt such a meeting then I fear this is something I cannot ignore.
>>
No. 938696 ID: 977456

Have someone attend to the messenger and be mindful not to let your frills flare at what is no doubt a shocking display.
>>
No. 938697 ID: 264287

This better be important if he's going to break in like this. What is it, man? So C but get more info off him first.
>>
No. 938745 ID: a9af05

C
>>
No. 938892 ID: 782b4a

Demand a succinct explanation, then proceed with him if it indeed proves pressing.
>>
No. 939871 ID: e7c7d3
File 156373769008.png - (144.50KB , 1280x1024 , AQ7whatisit.png )
939871

>>938696
>>938892

I turn to the guard. "This better be an actual emergency. What is it? What's the matter?" I say to them, rather curtly.
The guard, for their part, seems to realize just how much trouble they're in for their breach of conduct. With a jerk they quickly stand to attention and do a hastey bow, eyes darting around to everyone. "Please Mi'lady, "the guard nervously states. "There's something in the sky. It's spirit magic! It's... it's indescribable. I can't describe it!" The guard looks around at us again. The confused looks upon our faces mearly making them more nervous. "The-the guards are in a panic. We need orders. Please your ladyship!"

>>977256

I sigh. "This seems to be more of something that the captain should handle, but very well." I turn to my chancellor. "See to our good guest and that they enjoy our wine. I shall return momentarily."
>>
No. 939872 ID: e7c7d3
File 156373770911.png - (175.49KB , 1280x1024 , AQ8splitscreen.png )
939872

I've been told that I have too much imagination. That I tend to get lost in fancy and risk losing touch with our reality.
I consider my imagination a boon. It helps me be prepared for the unexpected.

But this...
>>
No. 939873 ID: e7c7d3
File 156373773487.png - (627.22KB , 1280x1024 , AQ9guesswhatitsscifi.png )
939873

This I never could have imagined.


End of Prologue
>>
No. 939874 ID: e7c7d3

Hey, thanks to everyone who participated and offered kind words! Unfortunately, this quest is probably gonna end here for the foreseeable future. A mixture of behind the scenes blunders and real life obstacles has made this quest a bit of a chore to continue. Still, I hope people enjoyed what little there was!
>>
No. 939882 ID: 977456

Huh... those look kinda like Ur-quan.
It is a bit brief to get a good feel for it, but thankyou for what there is!


Delete post []
Password  
Report post
Reason