[Burichan] [Futaba] [Nice] [Pony]  -  [WT]  [Home] [Manage]
[Catalog View] :: [Graveyard] :: [Rules] :: [Quests] :: [Discussions] :: [Wiki]

[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [Last 100 posts]
Posting mode: Reply
Name
Email
Subject   (reply to 530834)
Message
File []
Password  (for post and file deletion)
  • Supported file types are: GIF, JPG, PNG, SWF
  • Maximum file size allowed is 10000 KB.
  • Images greater than 250x250 pixels will be thumbnailed.
  • Currently 40039 unique user posts. View catalog

File 137549007868.png - (21.18KB , 900x900 , 000-titleone.png )
530834 No. 530834 ID: 2964de

In the East was a great Empire that enjoyed long-lasting peace. It was to be broken not by war nor uprising, but by the arrival of a being of great evil to wreak havoc on the lands.
Expand all images
>>
No. 530835 ID: 2964de
File 137549009147.png - (15.28KB , 900x900 , 001-teleport.png )
530835

-VWOIP-
>>
No. 530836 ID: 2964de
File 137549010041.png - (16.93KB , 900x900 , 002-rustle.png )
530836

Mm. Yeah. Oh yeah. That's better. It's me. I'm here. Time for the new reign of terror.

My name is... actually... I probably need a new name. My old one is kind of, uh... unpronouncable. I need something people can scream when they're fleeing from me.

You know. "It's---!" What'll it be?

[Suggest a name for her.]
>>
No. 530837 ID: 5fd94e

Merith?
>>
No. 530839 ID: 445e2d

Dionaea
>>
No. 530840 ID: 4b04e8

Simurgh.
>>
No. 530842 ID: e6fcea

Naedri
>>
No. 530844 ID: 2baea8

Dicks
>>
No. 530845 ID: ba8629

Darkbreast Shadowbuns
>>
No. 530846 ID: ff75a6

fluffy
>>
No. 530847 ID: a5d4fb

Fel.
>>
No. 530851 ID: 2964de
File 137549279066.png - (15.54KB , 900x900 , 003-ready.png )
530851

Right, Dionaea Felaedri. I like that.

Well. Let's get started. I'll be honest. This right here? Right now? Not much to look at. I need more power.

[Dionaea has the following abilities:

Feed: Dionaea can consume the soul of a victim and use it to grow in power. Dionaea must have physical contact with the victim when they die.
Shadowblend: Dionaea can turn invisible so long as the observer is not looking for anything out of the ordinary.
Permeable: Dionaea is a being of shadow, rather than flesh. Normal weaponry and attacks will sink into her harmlessly.

Consume souls to gain new abilities.]

Which basically means I need to kill some people. Any ideas?
>>
No. 530853 ID: b5df96

Go invisible, look for people to kill.

You see any lights? Roads? Smoke? Any sign of habitation, or civilization? Those will lead you to inhabited areas, and people to kill.

If you don't see anything, try climbing a tree for a better vantage point.

If there's really nothing to see but trees, just pick a random direction and start walking.
>>
No. 530856 ID: 445e2d

I suggest Shadowblending and approaching a town. It's unlikely that a small town would be on guard for you, yet, and so it would be best to approach stealthily, wait until nightfall, and slit the throats of children while they sleep.

The most terrifying things are the ones that nobody knows about.
>>
No. 530858 ID: 5fd94e

I assume that despite being a shadow you are still capable of inflicting damage on others, otherwise this might take a while.
>>
No. 530860 ID: ba8629

Find something and seduce it
>>
No. 530862 ID: 2964de
File 137549475547.png - (27.16KB , 900x900 , 004-ambush.png )
530862

Okay, there's a road right by here. I Shadowblendand venture out into it.

Look, there's a guy right there. He can't see me. Because he doesn't expect me to be here.

>>530858
Uhhh, that's a good point. I mean, I can hurt people all the normal ways an unarmed person could. I also have awesome razor-sharp teeth, but I'd have to get in really close to rip his throat out, and he might bump into me or I could step on a twig, and then I'd be visible again.
>>
No. 530863 ID: b5df96

>difficulties hurting a person
Then you stalk him. He'll have to rest or sleep at some point. He's only mortal, and it's dark out. Wait for your opportunity.

Maybe he'll even lead you to other people to slaughter in their sleep!

And grabbing the mortals own knife or something and slitting throats might be better than trying to bite them do death. For one thing, it tends to be quiet.
>>
No. 530864 ID: 445e2d

He isn't armed with any magical weapons, nor can he harm you normally. Caution can be set aside for now. Charge and strike. He will not have time to react.
>>
No. 530865 ID: 5fd94e

Move off the road, observe if there is anything unusual about the target. If you can pick up a small rock without losing shadowblend do so, we should be able to make sure it turns away from us at the last second before we strike.
>>
No. 530868 ID: cf49fc

>>530862
Just sit there perfectly still until he walks into you. Then devour his soul.
>>
No. 530883 ID: 2964de
File 137549913726.png - (15.92KB , 900x900 , 005-ambush.png )
530883

>>530864
...Actually, that's a good point.

He screams. Something in a foreign language.
>>
No. 530884 ID: 2964de
File 137549915111.png - (8.62KB , 900x900 , 006-attack.png )
530884

>>
No. 530885 ID: 2964de
File 137549916234.png - (9.25KB , 900x900 , 007-bloodlust.png )
530885

[Dionaea consumes a Lesser Soul.]

Yessss. That felt good. Really good.

And I think I can dissolve this into something useful right away.

[Please choose from one of the following specializations:

Subterfuge: Dionaea can take the form of anyone whose soul she has consumed.
Belligerence: Dionaea gains sharpened claws capable of injuring and maiming.
Redoubt: Dionaea can sprout spines over her body that will injure anyone grappling her.
Mobility: Dionaea can move very quickly.
Trickery: Dionaea can create a double of herself that will stand motionless.]
>>
No. 530887 ID: 5fd94e

Subterfuge probably more useful however.........belligerence sounds far more fun.


Belligerence
>>
No. 530888 ID: 445e2d

Subterfuge.

We have a soul to keep. Take their shape, and follow the path the direction they were going. Undoubtedly, more souls await.
>>
No. 530889 ID: a5d4fb

>>530885
Redoubt
>>
No. 530891 ID: ff75a6

belligerence
obves
>>
No. 530900 ID: 2baea8

Subterfuge.
>>
No. 530903 ID: c23ab0

Redoubt.
>>
No. 530905 ID: a23afd

>>530885
Subterfuge will let us gain in power very quickly, by simply entering a town and murdering people one by one in private, taking their appearances when necessary to avoid suspicion.

So I want that.
>>
No. 530911 ID: b5df96

>>530888
Subterfuge. The best way to murder people is to appear as someone they trust. Each victim leads us to another.
>>
No. 530925 ID: 9ddf68

Belligerence

We don't really know where this guy was going and have no idea who he knows or even who he was so it makes it kinda hard to find a kill his loved ones and plus as we heard when he screamed we don't speak the language so it makes it really damn hard for us to blend in when we can't even communicate with those around us. Plus for all we know this guy could have been a bandit or thief of some kind and I don't see that helping us to much if we walk into a town only to get swarmed by the guards.

I say just go with Belligerence for now, get to know the land better and maybe see if we can't pick up a few other useful tricks (like a few words we can use just to pass ourselves off as whoever were trying to pretend to be) and then get the hell out of here once people start thinking these woods are cursed or something.
>>
No. 531077 ID: 2964de
File 137555445534.png - (15.79KB , 900x900 , 008-cleanup.png )
531077

[Subterfuge specialization chosen. Dionaea gained ability Impersonate.

Next Subterfuge ability: Dionaea can silence her movements and turn her form completely black to blend into the shadows.

Necromancy specialization unlocked.]

Let me just clean up a little here. Hey, you know what? I think I can actually speak that guy's language now.

What were we talking about earlier? Oh yeah, a town. I guess I'll just walk along the road with my Shadowblend up.
>>
No. 531078 ID: 2964de
File 137555448884.png - (18.88KB , 900x900 , 009-village.png )
531078

Here it is. Wow, what a shitty little podunk village. I'd be doing everyone here a favor by murdering them in their sleep. They'd probably thank me.
>>
No. 531079 ID: 9ddf68

well start with the homes that don't have there doors locked or are just plain easy to get in and out of.
>>
No. 531082 ID: bf54a8

copy that guy and walk around looking into the buildings. if any of someone alone in them and no one else is nearby then enter it and an greet the person, and get close. say they have something on their neck, and lean in to 'get a better look at it' then rip their throat out.
>>
No. 531083 ID: 2baea8

Murdering them all in their sleep is so boring though, there's no challenge in it. Let's have a little fun with them first.

Shapeshift into whatshisface and look around. Feign amnesia and confusion if anyone asks you anything, that way they'll explain who we're impersonating for us, if they knew him in the first place.
>>
No. 531110 ID: a23afd

>>531078
Keep shadowmeld up and look for easy to access houses. At this point it's actually better to be invisible than in disguise, because there's no guards!
>>
No. 531169 ID: 5fd94e
531169

Keep an eye out for any unusual buildings, we want to identify any wealthier places where the owners may have magical objects or weapons, or possibly a barracks, also lets wait on killing anyone for a moment. The body left on the road will likely be attributed to animals, if we kill a family in their homes people will know something's up once they are found. Also see any guards walking around?
>>
No. 531174 ID: 2964de
File 137556998344.png - (10.96KB , 900x900 , 010-inquiry.png )
531174

>doors
>easy to access homes
Were you listening? This is seriously the podunkiest, shittiest little town.

>have a little fun
As much as I'd love to, there's really not much point. These people are so insignificant, they'll probably be too stupid to realize they're dead.

>trickery
Why?

I'm just going to slaughter them all in their homes. No offense. Like you said, they can't even really hurt me.
>>
No. 531176 ID: 2964de
File 137557004565.png - (16.67KB , 900x900 , 011-massacre.png )
531176

>guards
>magical objects
>wealth
Seriously!

[Dionaea consumes 38 Lesser Souls.]

So anyway, that was fun. Unfortunately, now it's getting light out. I don't really handle sunlight that well. It makes me dizzy.

Oh, and now I can Impersonate a wide variety of insignificant farmfolk. Not the kids, though, they don't have much soul to speak of.

Sorry, that was a bit rude of me, wasn't it? I guess I just got a little impatient. On the bright side, I think I can turn these into something useful...

[Please choose from one of the following specializations:

Subterfuge: Dionaea can silence her movements and turn her form completely black to blend into the shadows.
Belligerence: Dionaea gains sharpened claws capable of injuring and maiming.
Redoubt: Dionaea can sprout spines over her body that will injure anyone grappling her.
Mobility: Dionaea can move very quickly.
Trickery: Dionaea can create a double of herself that will stand motionless.
Necromancy: Dionaea can animate the fragile skeleton of someone she has slain, causing it to climb out of its meaty shell and serve her.]
>>
No. 531178 ID: ff75a6

now we def needs belligerence
>>
No. 531180 ID: bf54a8

oh man, skeletons are max spook. get that

also, you have a little something in you chest.
>>
No. 531181 ID: 5fd94e

That works to


Still going with Belligerence.
>>
No. 531186 ID: 5663f2

Hrrm...
Necromancy? That's good. If you want to hide behind an ever-growing army of your victims.

Let's go with Redoubt, build on that wild animal theme you've got going! Why settle for weak, easily smashed minions when you can simple catch someone in a hug and pierce them into swiss cheese!
>>
No. 531189 ID: a23afd

>>531176
Mobility seems like the best choice here. It's useful for lunging attacks to make up for the lesser range of biting being our only weapon, for dodging stuff that could hurt us, and for running away from serious threats.
>>
No. 531192 ID: 2baea8

Mobility.
>>
No. 531194 ID: 445e2d

Necromancy is very conducive to wreaking wide scale havoc.
>>
No. 531195 ID: b5df96

Belligerence. Teeth won't be sufficient against more competent opponents.

Also- 38 souls only good for one upgrade? Mega weak.

Anything of value in this town? Say... anything to read and catch up on this epoch while waiting out the day?

>can't impersonate the kids
You sure? One of the best ways to appear harmless, and get people to lower their guard, or take you into their home, is to wear the semblance of a child.
>>
No. 531275 ID: 2027bb

Id say Redoubt, its better then claws b/c then you'd be protecting your whole body instead of slashing at enemy's right?
>>
No. 531278 ID: 9ddf68

Belligerence
>>
No. 531291 ID: 9d3dcd

Mobility
>>
No. 531302 ID: cf49fc

>>531176
Mobility.
>>
No. 531305 ID: c23ab0

>>531195

Dionaea obviously wasted a lot of perfectly good soul, gorging herself back there. For shame! Eat slowly and chew every bite, or you will have bad digestion!
>>
No. 531332 ID: 2964de

[Currently a tie between Belligerence and Mobility.]
>>
No. 531333 ID: 60800c

Belligerence. Let's make it gory.
>>
No. 531340 ID: 2964de
File 137562711163.png - (16.37KB , 900x900 , 012-break.png )
531340

[Belligerence specialization chosen. Dionaea gained ability Feral Claws.

Next Belligerence ability: Dionaea can create a one-handed weapon of shadow for a short time.]

>also, you have a little something in you chest.
Whoops. There we go.

>38 souls only good for one upgrade? Mega weak.
>Dionaea obviously wasted a lot of perfectly good soul, gorging herself back there. For shame! Eat slowly and chew every bite, or you will have bad digestion!
Using souls to gain power is an exponential thing! Virtue, intelligence, education, nobility, goodness, etc. all make your soul more pure and powerful. The better the soul, the fewer I need of them to gain upgrades. If I want to get really powerful, I can't just kill helpless farmers all night long. I need to go for the bigger targets. City-dwellers, scholars, nobles, wizards, paladins. There's a reason the good demons are powerful beasts that even the most hardened veteran fears, and the bad demons are just rural legends nobody has actually seen.

>You sure? One of the best ways to appear harmless, and get people to lower their guard, or take you into their home, is to wear the semblance of a child.
I'm sure. Mortals aren't born with a soul, it grows within you as you age and experience the world, learn, and form a sense of self and personality. Your soul is who you are. Children and the elderly don't have much in the way of souls because in children it's still forming and in the elderly it's gradually withering and dissipating. You know when you hear about people who die of "natural causes?" That's your soul unraveling.

Eating babies is a fun pastime, but you do it to maintain an image, not grow in power. And if they don't have enough of a soul, I can't Impersonate them.

P.S. Fuck you.

>Anything of value in this town? Say... anything to read and catch up on this epoch while waiting out the day?
>value
>this town
Hahaha! No. These people were probably entirely illiterate. What do you think, guys? Should I find somewhere shady in the forest to go to sleep or try and find some civilization? As long as I don't get into too much trouble I should be fine. It's just... draining.
>>
No. 531345 ID: 5fd94e

I think wait it out in a forest, but try to find a spot over-looking a road that looks well traveled. We might be able to hit some merchants or possibly some noble in travel.


Also, does transforming into a new form just leave you naked? If so you might want to grab a set of clothes if you want to do any sneaking like that.
>>
No. 531351 ID: 406926

>>531340
Wait it out. No point in risking danger during the day if we don't have to; exploring can happen just as well during the night.
>>
No. 531362 ID: 2964de
File 137563355805.png - (16.14KB , 900x900 , 013-hiding.png )
531362

>spot overlooking a road
I guess there's a hill here. This is the only road in sight.

>does transforming into a new form just leave you naked?
Yep. Did I forget to mention that?

>you might want to grab a set of clothes if you want to do any sneaking like that.
Roger. I don't exactly have a backpack, though.

Where should I bed down for the night, or should I go further into the forest? Keep in mind I can't use Shadowblend or Impersonate while I'm asleep. I have to consciously keep those up.
>>
No. 531363 ID: 5fd94e

Kill squirrel, then investigate cave.
>>
No. 531368 ID: bf54a8

>>531363
maybe if we took mobility, but squirrels are hella fast.

anyway, that cave seems interesting.
>>
No. 531381 ID: 2964de
File 137563745567.png - (18.58KB , 900x900 , 014-examining.png )
531381

>Kill squirrel
Even if I could catch it, why bother?

>cave
That might be giving it too much credit.
>>
No. 531382 ID: bf54a8

it's that or a house and hope that another guard doesn't come looking for the one we ate, sees the bodies and gets a team of adventurers with magical gear after us.
>>
No. 531391 ID: 5fd94e

Well, do you see any lights through the trees that might suggest a secluded house?

If not this might be what you will have to go for.
>>
No. 531393 ID: 9ddf68

if you don't really care just rest here for the day, if you don't really want to sleep here then keep looking.
>>
No. 531396 ID: dcd676

If you've got some extra time before sunrise, get looking around this area. Otherwise, bed down in the hole. It's only a single day, either way.
>>
No. 531397 ID: 2964de
File 137564015465.png - (14.43KB , 900x900 , 015-sleep.png )
531397

Honestly, this is fine. I just want to be out of the sun.
>>
No. 531398 ID: 2964de
File 137564017321.png - (14.45KB , 900x900 , 016-wake.png )
531398

"--eally didn't like the look of that."

"Probably just a bandit raid. Unfortunate, but they were long gone."

Who's there?
>>
No. 531399 ID: 5fd94e

Shadowblend and head out, they don't sound overly worried so the likely aren't on the lookout for an attacker.
>>
No. 531404 ID: 9ddf68

how much longer do we have till the sun comes up? cause if we got time go check it out, if not then just eavesdrop on what they say.
>>
No. 531405 ID: b5df96

Sounds like mortals, discussing the massacre at the village.

Odd that they would assume it to be a bandit raid, when you didn't take anything, and your victims were slaughtered by tooth. They're not very observant.

Shadowblend and investigate. You've either found new victims, or people to follow to a larger settlement, and more victims.
>>
No. 531406 ID: 2964de

[It's evening now, sorry it wasn't clear.]
>>
No. 531429 ID: a23afd

>>531398
Sounds like travelers. Maybe even adventurers. Shadowblend out and scout the targets.
>>
No. 531439 ID: dcd676

Impersonate one of the villagers, run up to them sobbing and telling them bandits came by, killed everyone and headed northeast. We might get them to lower their guard, then we can go for the throat(s).
>>
No. 531444 ID: 2964de
File 137565102345.png - (24.84KB , 900x900 , 017-spotting.png )
531444

>till the sun comes up
It's going down now.

>they're not very observant.
They probably steered clear of it! It's hard to believe wild animals would clear out a whole village, I guess.

Shadowblend it is.

"Either way, let's make double pace to get to the city," the first one says. "It's getting too dark out for my liking."

Fresh meat!
>>
No. 531447 ID: b5df96

No! Not fresh meat. They're headed for a city. Follow them. Lots of people to kill in a city. And if there are branchings in the trail, you might not find it quickly without someone to follow.
>>
No. 531449 ID: ff75a6

>>531447
agreed
>>
No. 531451 ID: 2baea8

>>531447
Quite. They can be caught when the city is in view. That way you get both a guide and some fresh meat.
>>
No. 531452 ID: 5fd94e

Okay, three options that I see

1. Follow them to the city, maybe kill them once you know where the city is if they split up at all or a good opportunity happens.

2. Take the form of a villager (younger the better), maybe cut yourself to make it seem more likely, and come running out and say you and your friend got away from the village but he was injured and is back in the trees a bit. With luck the larger one will go check the trees while the little on tends to your wounds.

3. Just attack them. It has worked so far however the little one has a unique design on the blade which may suggest something dangerous.
>>
No. 531455 ID: 91c1b3

>>531444
I think the sword on the big one has a weird grip/pommel (like a dragon's head) and there's a snake emblem on the sheathe of the little one's knife. I think that one of those might be a magic weapon, so they might not exactly be easy prey. Follow them for now.
>>
No. 531457 ID: a23afd

They have magic weapons. Beware.

Hmm. The city must be quite close for them to be able to get there before nightfall. I don't think we need to keep them alive and follow them to find it.

Fancy your chances with an ambush? You might be able to take out the big guy with a strike to the throat, to keep him from using that big sword on you. Then freak out the other one mid-combat by turning into his friend at an opportune moment (and go "Wait!"), and use that surprise to kill him.
>>
No. 531458 ID: 5fd94e

>>531452
Forgot to say that I favour number 2
>>
No. 531520 ID: f0357f

>>531444
hitch a ride in the short one's shadow!
>>
No. 531651 ID: 2964de
File 137571974750.png - (32.20KB , 900x900 , 018-stalking.png )
531651

Oh, fine. I'll follow them. Maybe they'll lead me to more people.

"Do you think they might still be around?" the big one asks.

"No," replies the other.

"Juste au cas où."

"Ne sois pas lâche."

"Je ne suis pas lâche!"

"Tu agis comme tel."

"Je ne suis pas. Je suis d'être prudents, qui ne fait pas de moi un lâche."

"Ils étaient manifestement mort depuis un certain temps."

"Il y a plusieur chose qui pourrait nous attaquer sur les routes. Nous devons être prudents."

"Tu nous apportes a leur attention en parlant autant."

"...D'accord."

Then they fall silent.
>>
No. 531652 ID: 2964de
File 137571976598.png - (24.10KB , 900x900 , 019-contact.png )
531652

-SNAP-

Oh, whoops. Now they're looking at me. They can see me.

"Sacrebleu! Qu'est-ce que c'est?!"
>>
No. 531655 ID: 5fd94e

Big guy is going to take longer unsheathing his sword, take him out first. And once he is either dead or badly injured retreat into the woods, if injured she should stop to treat him which we might be able to use to strike.
>>
No. 531669 ID: 91c1b3

>>531651
Can someone that knows french translate for us? Otherwise I'll try a google translate thing.
>>
No. 531672 ID: bf54a8

them seem surprised by you, they don't know what you are.
>>
No. 531673 ID: 5fd94e

>>531669

Mainly the small one bugging the big one about being a coward and the big one saying that they should be careful.
>>
No. 531675 ID: 91c1b3

Google translate actually worked out very well.
Do you think they might still be around?
No.
Just in case.
Don't be a coward.
I am not a coward!
You act like it.
I am not. I'm being careful, that does not make me a coward.
They were obviously dead for some time.
There are SEVERAL things that might attack us on the roads. We must be careful.
You'll bring their attention to us by talking so much.
...Agreed.

So they have no clue at all that they were being followed and weren't planning for this. Go for the Big one.
>>
No. 531681 ID: b5df96

...well, so much for plan follow-them-to-town. Now we got to kill them.

Go for the big guy on the right, first. His sword has a fancy hilt- maybe it's magic or something and could actually hurt you. So make sue he dies before he gets the chance to.

At least you'll know french once you're done eating them.
>>
No. 531685 ID: 9ddf68

smile a wicked smile then do a quick bow and charge the guy on the right and at the last moment juke left and take out the little one.
>>
No. 531690 ID: ff75a6

go for the nuts
>>
No. 531694 ID: dcd676

Go for the nuts.
>>
No. 531695 ID: 2baea8

Nut shot for massive damage
>>
No. 531710 ID: 2964de
File 137573426409.png - (17.47KB , 900x900 , 020-panic.png )
531710

>big guy
>magic weapons
>guy
>big one
>MAGIC WEAPONS
>big guy
>take out the little one
>nuts
>nuts
>nuts
Oh shit what the fuck is going on?! What do I do?! You're not making any sense! AAAAAAA!

"Aïe! Pourquoi?!"

"Je pense que c'est un monstre! Tuez-le!"

[The larger opponent is quickly drawing her sword.]
>>
No. 531711 ID: b5df96

>big guy is female
Oh, whups, whatever.

Quick, rip her throat out already. That's what you got your claws for.
>>
No. 531713 ID: 5fd94e

>she

Dammit, anyways go for the throat and get out of range of the smaller one
>>
No. 531714 ID: 9ddf68

if she's swinging her sword dodge and use your claws to wither slice her throat open or her guts, if she's just reaching for it, quickly rip out her throat with your teeth.

Also make sure the little guy doesn't stab you in the back.
>>
No. 531715 ID: a23afd

It is worth noting that a crotch-shot is still pretty painful for females.

Dodge to the side, that draw looks like it could lead to an overhead chop.
>>
No. 531717 ID: 2baea8

She has a large weapon. You want to get in close and go for the throat, so she has no room to swing.
>>
No. 531720 ID: bf54a8

claws uppercut to the neck.
>>
No. 531734 ID: 2964de
File 137573925004.png - (22.48KB , 900x900 , 021-assault.png )
531734

>dodge and slice
Fucking pick one!

[Dionaea activates Feral Claws and aggressively goes for the throat.]

Okay, that's much more effective.
>>
No. 531735 ID: a23afd

>>531734
Huh, it actually looks like they aren't magical weapons, just fancy sheathes and hilts. Unless the magic only activates upon striking something?

At any rate, duck. The small one just threw a dagger at you. Afterwards we can get aggressive on him.
>>
No. 531739 ID: ff75a6

rip out the other ones throat w/ mouth then lick the blood seductively
>>
No. 531741 ID: bf54a8

use the body as a shield
>>
No. 531754 ID: b5df96

...now grab the sword of the one you killed, and morph into a naked, copy of her, complete with gaping neck wound.

Then advance on the other, grinning.

He'll be absolutely terrified. Easy, fun kill.
>>
No. 531756 ID: dcd676

Forget the sword, that'll take time. Go for the other available throat right now.
>>
No. 531770 ID: 445e2d

Whether they're magical or not, you're adept enough to kill them both now that she has been mortally wounded. Needing blood is really a liability, isn't it?

Watch out for the other one, though. They might still have some surprises. It would be good to turn your attention to them.
>>
No. 531789 ID: 9ddf68

the other one is about to throw a knife in your back just so you know.
>>
No. 532017 ID: 2964de
File 137581582495.png - (19.59KB , 900x900 , 022-dodge.png )
532017

[Dionaea consumes a Soul.]

Ha! Dodged it!

I guess I'll just gank him because doing something fancy would be too risky.
>>
No. 532018 ID: 2964de
File 137581584078.png - (19.11KB , 900x900 , 023-approach.png )
532018

...uh.

What's he doing?
>>
No. 532019 ID: cf49fc

>>532018
Look, he's waving at you, he must be grateful!
>>
No. 532020 ID: 9ddf68

KNIFE IS MAGIC, IT'S COMING BACK AROUND, MEANS IT CAN HURT YOU

so duck/dodge it and take him out... or if you think you can rush and gut him before it comes back at you do that instead.
>>
No. 532022 ID: 41690e

Knife of returning, huh? Nice trick.
>>
No. 532029 ID: bf54a8

okay start running towards him then drop to the ground after a second to dodge the return attack, the continue to close in.
>>
No. 532043 ID: 2baea8

Charge him on all fours and go for the weak spot for massive damage.
>>
No. 532044 ID: ff75a6

Dodge, Duck, Dip, Dive and, Dodge
>>
No. 532296 ID: 2964de
File 137589064587.png - (19.74KB , 900x900 , 024-duck.png )
532296

>waving
Oh yeah that makes sense WAIT WHAT NO AAAA

[Dionaea's opponent catches the knife effortlessly.]
>>
No. 532297 ID: 2964de
File 137589067045.png - (19.28KB , 900x900 , 025-apprehension.png )
532297

"Begone, demon, or taste cold iron."

I feel like I wasted my advantage on the wrong person here.
>>
No. 532300 ID: 41690e

So... the real question here is how much damage could that iron knife do to you, and if risking it for this one's soul and maintaining secracy is worth it.

I kind of think it is.

If possible, get him to throw the knife at you again. That opens up a window to kill him. Or to at least make him fumble the catch.

>I feel like I wasted my advantage on the wrong person here.
Well, until you gain a 'sense magic' or 'sense iron' ability, the best we can do is guess. And the bigger one had a dragon thing on her sword-hilt!
>>
No. 532316 ID: 91c1b3

>>532297
You could grab the body and sword, run away, and hope that he will chase after you for it.
>>
No. 532319 ID: bf54a8

it's only one little blade, it may hurt but you will easily kill them before they kill you. block stab with hand, grab their fist, with them immobilize you then stab them with your claws.
>>
No. 532334 ID: 9ddf68

you're on a dirt road right? Just grab a handful of dirt and throw it in his eyes, then when he's momentarily blinded just come in from behind him and go for the kill.
>>
No. 532340 ID: 2baea8

>>532334
>>
No. 532342 ID: 2baea8

>>532340
Oops. Was agreeing with the linked post, but misclicked and posted early.
>>
No. 532344 ID: 1cf691

Umm why are you endangering yourself with a direct confrontation when you are a being of shadows and trickery?
You should disengage, run ahead of him and impersonate some farmer returning home and then strike when this guy drops his guard.
>>
No. 532370 ID: 2f4b71

>iron knife
No, it's cold iron. The magical sort, not the mundane sort.
>>
No. 532388 ID: a23afd

>>532344
I agree with this. We lost the advantage, so regain it.
>>
No. 532416 ID: 5fd94e

Kinda surprised he doesn't seem angry over his partners death, I say lets leave and keep heading in the same direction. If we can kill someone one else and steal their cloths to ambush him later we can do that however if he heads in the opposite direction I say not worth the trouble.
>>
No. 532566 ID: f0357f

>>532297
Just yell "That's regular iron, idiot!"

Then go ahead and backflip-claw into the guy who threw the knife.
>>
No. 532808 ID: dcd676

>>532344
Fully agreeing with this. Play to our strengths.
>>
No. 532977 ID: 2964de
File 137608357573.png - (11.60KB , 800x600 , 026-retreat.png )
532977

>how much damage could that iron knife do to you
Well, it depends. If it's just iron? Nothing at all. If it's cold iron? It could banish me. Which is the demon equivalent of dying, except we don't have souls to resurrect, we just kind of... come back eventually, when there's an opportunity.

>grab the body and sword
Okay, I don't know if you've ever tried to carry an adult that was bigger than you, a metal sword, and tried to run from someone who wants to kill you at the same time, but...

Well, as much as I'd like to kill him now, if that's actually cold iron I'm about as eager to get near him as a mortal might be when faced with any kind of mundane weapon. I think bravely running away is a valid option right now.

[Dionaea deactivates Feral Claws.]

"You're lucky we're in a hurry!" he shouts after me.

So, if I really still want to tangle with him later down the road, what should I do? Shadowblend is not going to work, he will be on his guard and see right through it. I can Impersonate like forty people now, including his friend (who was delicious), but that's the extent of my helpful abilities at the moment. Be creative!
>>
No. 532987 ID: 91c1b3

>>532977
I don't know the relative strength of a shadow being. I figured since you were faster and more resilient than a normal person that you may be stronger than one too.

Go with impersonating the first guy you killed while walking towards the village. (going past the small guy and turning around so you walk into him) He shouldn't seem as out of place traveling alone. You still have that set of clothes you picked up, right?
>>
No. 532989 ID: 9ddf68

when you turn into someone can you turn into them with wounds? if so turn into one of those people you ate from the village and make it seem like another helpless victim you devoured on the road and wait for this guy to come close to/pass you and see if you can't kill him then or there. If you actually have to blink and breath when turned though then just play as someone you attacked but didn't finish off and was left dying on the road. The plan is just to get him to lower his guard and hopefully come in closer to you.

if you can't fake horrible wounds then I guess we could change it so you turn into a villager then come running towards the guy screaming about some kind of monster that attacked you and your friend. If he ask what happen say some thing attacked you and your friend, your friend went to attack it after he saw it and told you to run, you wasted no time in doing so and was hoping to make it to the nearby village to find help or someone on the road. while you're telling him this keep grabbing him and begging for his help, after the second or third time doing that just rip his throat out.
>>
No. 532992 ID: a23afd

>>532987
This seems like it should work.
>>
No. 532998 ID: 2964de

[Note: Dionaea left the clothes behind when she investigated the voices.]
>>
No. 533004 ID: 5fd94e

One thing that might be a problem is that he will be very suspicious of any one individual that approaches him. I would assume based on his weapon and the fact that he did not panic immediately on seeing you suggests that he has fought your kind before and possibly dealt with ones who could change form. Possibly if you see a small group of people you could try killing them and hiding as a body however he might try sticking the bodies with the knife from a distance if he suspects anything's up.
>>
No. 533010 ID: a23afd

>>532998
Oh dammit. Uh. I guess we'd have to go retrieve the clothes then.
>>
No. 533610 ID: dcd676

Impersonate one of the woman villagers and come out of the woods further along the road behind him, calling to him in a panic. Get up close, crying and explaining your village was slain and you don't know what to do and keep up the sob story until his guard's down, then go for the throat.
>>
No. 535901 ID: 2964de
File 137697017072.png - (13.25KB , 800x600 , 027-planning.png )
535901

>I don't know the relative strength of a shadow being. I figured since you were faster and more resilient than a normal person that you may be stronger than one too.
The resiliency is sort of just the properties of what I'm made of. I'm not significantly faster than mortals right now.

>impersonate someone wounded
'Fraid not, unless I intentionally wounded myself after I did it.

>impersonate a panicked villager
Naked?
>>
No. 535911 ID: 41690e

>>impersonate a panicked villager
>Naked?
...well that would ordinarily add credibility to the whole I'm alone and harmless and desperate and afraid help me angle. But you've already hit this guy once tonight, and he may well see that for the trick it is.
>>
No. 535945 ID: 9ddf68

well things I can see you doing is going back to pick up some clothes and then try to act like a panicking peasant to get close enough to kill the guy, find a tree that has some branches that hang over the road and leap down and kill him when he passes underneath you, say screw and look somewhere else as he tells people about your existence, you choice but I suggest either A or B here personally.
>>
No. 536022 ID: dcd676

>>535945
I'm thinking B could work out, but we should book it as best we can to get a decent distance ahead of him. Somewhere, say, a quarter of a mile away to give him time to get over that particular encounter.
>>
No. 539017 ID: 486a23
File 137811106676.png - (6.45KB , 800x600 , 028-idea.png )
539017

>...well that would ordinarily add credibility to the whole I'm alone and harmless and desperate and afraid help me angle. But you've already hit this guy once tonight, and he may well see that for the trick it is.
...Right. Any better ideas?

>find a tree that has some branches that hang over the road and leap down and kill him when he passes underneath you
Alright!
>>
No. 539018 ID: 486a23
File 137811109186.png - (6.68KB , 800x600 , 029-waitingforgodot.png )
539018

...That took more tries than I'd like to admit. It's pretty dark out, so he shouldn't be able to see me out here.

Where is he? Geez.
>>
No. 539054 ID: 1cf691

Did he decide to cut through the woods? Nah he will likely stick to the road and the illusion of safety it brings instead of the scary dark forest.
Just sit tight and he will come eventually...
Or he did brave the woods and you end up spending the night sitting in the tree like a chump.
>>
No. 539060 ID: 07e3a8

Well, this kind of ambush only works if the target actually passes by.

...you did get ahead of him first, right?
>>
No. 539061 ID: cad45e

So this might be the wrong time to ask, but what made you into the massive dick you are today?

Did the elder blob of evil that shat you out not pay enough attention with it's mindless shambling or were you beaten, seriously, you got at least some personality, so you gotta have some history and reasons to be "the great evil"?
>>
No. 539094 ID: dcd676

While we have a moment, I'm curious: do souls have a taste for you? Is there any sensation when you absorb one, and do different souls have different kinds of sensation?
>>
No. 539095 ID: 9ddf68

...maybe he's burying the chick you killed or something. I say give it an hour and if nothing happens I guess we're going to have to track this ass down, sigh.
>>
No. 539145 ID: 5fd94e

Might as well wait a bit, however he might have gone another way if he suspects an ambush, can you hear or see any signs of activity in the distance?
>>
No. 540056 ID: a03a31
File 137878695319.png - (9.36KB , 800x600 , 030-questionnaire.png )
540056

>Did he decide to cut through the woods? Nah he will likely stick to the road and the illusion of safety it brings instead of the scary dark forest.
>Just sit tight and he will come eventually...
Sure.

>Or he did brave the woods and you end up spending the night sitting in the tree like a chump.
Wow, thanks for the vote of confidence.

>Well, this kind of ambush only works if the target actually passes by.
>...you did get ahead of him first, right?
Of course! I ran up the road away from him. I'm not daft!

>So this might be the wrong time to ask, but what made you into the massive dick you are today?
>Did the elder blob of evil that shat you out not pay enough attention with it's mindless shambling or were you beaten, seriously, you got at least some personality, so you gotta have some history and reasons to be "the great evil"?
Dohoho you're adorable. I'm a demon. We don't work like mortals. Apart from certain types of materials and the vague sense of the material world around me that keeps me from tripping when I run, all the stimuli I feel are purely mental. All the thrills I get are from chasing people down. All the pleasure I feel is from hearing them scream when I rip them apart. All the satisfaction I get is from ruling over these cowering peasants. The only way to sate my hunger is to consume the souls of the living.

Also, I was born of the minds of men. They fear things that are real, but they make them into monsters in their minds, and their minds make those monsters real. That's why magic weapons hurt me; I was created by the unconscious interaction of the living with the magic in the world that all casters draw upon. Belief is a powerful thing. When I'm banished, I don't go back to any plane of oblivion or whatever, I'm just too damaged to remain corporeal. I have to heal, drawing on the same energies that formed me. Unaided, it takes a long time.

>While we have a moment, I'm curious: do souls have a taste for you? Is there any sensation when you absorb one, and do different souls have different kinds of sensation?
Oh, yessss! That's why I said his friend was delicious earlier. I don't think it's possible to describe to anyone who can't Feed. But pretty much, yes.
>>
No. 540057 ID: a03a31
File 137878697638.png - (12.92KB , 800x600 , 031-arrival.png )
540057

>...maybe he's burying the chick you killed or something. I say give it an hour and if nothing happens I guess we're going to have to track this ass down, sigh.
Okay.

>Might as well wait a bit, however he might have gone another way if he suspects an ambush, can you hear or see any signs of activity in the distance?
Nope, no-- oh, I see him!
>>
No. 540058 ID: 96c896

>>540057
It looks like he's dragging his companion's corpse into town. Seems like a lot of effort, there must be some reason for it. Eh. Just jump on him once he passes under you. Should be an easy kill.
>>
No. 540062 ID: dcd676

>>540058
This. I still want to suggest crawling down, laying on our bellies, putting on the disguise of one of the villagers (preferably female) and dragging ourselves across his path speaking of a shadow monster attacking, it's a bit late for that now.
>>
No. 540064 ID: 2baea8

>>540058
Agreed. Even if he spots you, you can still leap down and charge him. Dragging his friend that far has surely left him tired.
>>
No. 540067 ID: dbe554

Hmmmm, if he's dragging the corpse. Either he plans to bury it later, or find a place to have it resurrected...If that's even possible.
>>
No. 540069 ID: 9ddf68

>>540067
well if if it is we did eat her soul soooooooo...

anyways do that shadow walk thing because he looks like he's putting in more attention to dragging his dead friend then what's around him so in the off chance he looks up to catch his breath or something he won't see you. Just wait for him to get under you and jump on him. also try not to make to much noise this time.
>>
No. 540204 ID: a03a31
File 137887902215.png - (11.35KB , 800x600 , 032-imminent.png )
540204

>It looks like he's dragging his companion's corpse into town. Seems like a lot of effort, there must be some reason for it.
>Hmmmm, if he's dragging the corpse. Either he plans to bury it later, or find a place to have it resurrected...If that's even possible.
Interesting!

>anyways do that shadow walk thing because he looks like he's putting in more attention to dragging his dead friend then what's around him so in the off chance he looks up to catch his breath or something he won't see you.
Shadowblend probably isn't gonna work! He knows I'm out here, so he's on his guard. It only really works if you don't give yourself away or they think they're safe again.

>Eh. Just jump on him once he passes under you. Should be an easy kill.
>Agreed. Even if he spots you, you can still leap down and charge him. Dragging his friend that far has surely left him tired.
>Just wait for him to get under you and jump on him. also try not to make to much noise this time.
Okay, just gonna sit here and wait for him to get closer.

Hmm... he's stopped.
>>
No. 540206 ID: dcd676

Leap and go for him /now/. In case he suspects anything, don't give him the chance to draw a weapon.
>>
No. 540207 ID: 96c896

>>540204
He's looking at something. Distracted? His back is to you! Take advantage of it and rush him.
>>
No. 540225 ID: 5fd94e

He might be trying to draw you out if he thinks you are out around, I recommend waiting until he is in pouncing range.
>>
No. 540233 ID: 07e3a8

...careful. This could be a trap, and he does have that magic sword he can throw.
>>
No. 540242 ID: 2d638b

looks like something got his attention. Be careful he either knows you're here or you're not alone here.
>>
No. 540310 ID: a03a31
File 137895941538.png - (57.95KB , 800x600 , 033-tension.png )
540310

>Leap and go for him /now/. In case he suspects anything, don't give him the chance to draw a weapon.
>He's looking at something. Distracted? His back is to you! Take advantage of it and rush him.
I'll--

>He might be trying to draw you out if he thinks you are out around, I recommend waiting until he is in pouncing range.
>...careful. This could be a trap, and he does have that magic sword he can throw.
>looks like something got his attention. Be careful he either knows you're here or you're not alone here.
--hnnghk--
>>
No. 540311 ID: a03a31
File 137895943373.png - (31.64KB , 800x600 , 034-anticipation.png )
540311

Okay waiting waiting waiting waiting NOW

[Dionaea activates Feral Claws.]
>>
No. 540312 ID: a03a31
File 137895944456.png - (79.67KB , 800x600 , 035-pounce.png )
540312

YESSSSS

[Dionaea consumes a Soul.]

Oh fuck, that was good.

[Please choose from one of the following specializations:

Subterfuge: Dionaea can silence her movements and turn her form completely black to blend into the shadows.
Belligerence: Dionaea can create a one-handed weapon of shadow for a short time. It counts as an extension of her body.
Redoubt: Dionaea can sprout spines over her body that will injure anyone grappling her.
Mobility: Dionaea can move very quickly.
Trickery: Dionaea can create a double of herself that will stand motionless.
Necromancy: Dionaea can animate the fragile skeleton of someone she has slain, causing it to climb out of its meaty shell and serve her.]
>>
No. 540315 ID: 7dbd6b

Mobility!
>>
No. 540316 ID: 07e3a8

Yeah, mobility seems a good choice. If you're going to recklessly attack everything, you might as well be a blur while doing it.
>>
No. 540317 ID: 96c896

>>540312
I gotta say Mobility.
>>
No. 540322 ID: 9ddf68

seeing how much trouble we had getting into that tree in the first place I'm going to have to say mobility... also can you see what he was looking at, could be something useful.
>>
No. 540327 ID: efa330

Subterfuge
>>
No. 540338 ID: b58bab

Lets go mobility
>>
No. 540342 ID: bd48c5

>>540312
Mobility, then Necromancy when we find another hero.

Also, as a quick question, can things that aren't demons consume souls?

Because if so I have a very dark idea of where this quest is headed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dn7dW6xCMXY
>>
No. 540349 ID: dcd676

Looks like Mobility is winning, so I'll say Mobility and hope we get a more convenient chance for Necromancy later.
>>
No. 540356 ID: 5fd94e

Go mobility
>>
No. 540357 ID: e1716a

I want Redoubt, but if that doesn't cut it, Mobility.
>>
No. 540784 ID: 07be11

Necromancy
>>
No. 541846 ID: a410c3
File 138000834694.png - (73.72KB , 800x600 , 036-cleaning.png )
541846

[Mobility specialization chosen. Dionaea gained ability Speed.

Next Mobility ability: Dionaea can jump high and far.

Dionaea also gained ability Spectral Senses: Dionaea can observe the traces of things beyond mortal senses.]

Whew! That was fun. What now?
>>
No. 541855 ID: bf54a8

well roll the body out of the middle of the road, and follow the path towards this bigger city.
>>
No. 541857 ID: a36601

>>541846
First, try spectral senses to look at the dead bodies. See if they have anything else magical/weird about them.(if you see anything cool, go mess with that instead of the rest of this) Second, unequip the little-one's body of all its possessions. Third, hide the little body as well as you can(trying for little blood splatter/trail). Fourth, drag the big body(we want a blood trail) to a nearby bush and cut/bite it up to make it seem like an animal attacked her. Then, impersonate the smaller of the two, grab/use his equipment and head in the direction he was dragging his friend.

This should make anyone that finds the scene think animal attack instead of demons at first glance, and give us a good cover if we encounter anyone on the way to their home.
>>
No. 541863 ID: dcd676

>>541857
I quite like this plan, the only problem being that these people were obviously well equipped and we could run into serious trouble if they happen to belong to a paladin order or something.

Alternative: perform the same actions, but disguise ourselves as one of the peasants, take one of their sets of clothes and dirty it up before wearing.
>>
No. 541879 ID: 5fd94e

I don't think should spend to much time worrying about hiding the bodies as if we aren't actively patrolling the roads we probably only have about two or three days before someone comes across that shitty little village and someone is sent to investigate. Lets just drag the bodies off the road a bit to reduce the chance of quick discovery and cover up the blood with some dirt. See if they had any spare clothes and take them, if not then steal take the pants from whoever would have fit one of the average sized villagers the best and lets head to town.

>>541863
Definitely were not any sort of Paladin, they did not stop to investigate the village and the small one did not try very hard to stop us even though we would be a definite threat to the near by people.
>>
No. 541882 ID: 07e3a8

Test spectral senses out. His sword or whatever was magic, right?
>>
No. 541906 ID: 001618

loot bodies for clothes (so if we change shape we won't be nude) and magical items, then throw the bodies in a ditch and move on.
>>
No. 544816 ID: 3cef68
File 138232918426.png - (71.77KB , 800x600 , 037-cleanup.png )
544816

Right! Where were we?

>roll the body out of the road
Done and done. There's a big trail of blood now, though. I don't think he's that hidden.

>dirt
That works. It'll take a little while, though. Geez, he bled all over the place.

>stage an animal attack
Baby, I am an animal. With pleasure.

>take clothes
Feral animals generally don't do this.

>test out spectral senses
Right. I can sense a magic weapon and a cold iron weapon behind me, and a recent death below me (obviously). There's a large collection of people down the road some ways. Presumably that's their town. There's no oversaturation of magic around, so there's no magic users in the area.

Anything else to do before I go to town?
>>
No. 544818 ID: 761017

>>544816
>Anything else to do before I go to town?
Nah, I think you're good to go!

On the way, try thinking up cool titles to give yourself for when you get really powerful!
>>
No. 544819 ID: 9ddf68

think the magic weapons will be useful or no?

If so take them and store them somewhere where you could find them again quickly if you need to and then shadow blend around the town if it isn't to far away before the sun comes up so we can get an idea of what we're working with for tomorrow night. I would say tonight be after all the waiting we did for this guy to show up plus with us mapping out the town so we know where to run incase things get bad I'm not sure we'd have a whole lot of time to actually cause any mischief and get away before the sun comes up and we're left drained.
>>
No. 544831 ID: 7bbaae

>>544816
Can you use a magic weapon safely? I'm less interested in the cold iron returning dagger, since it's quite possible for you to fumble the catch and injure yourself.
>>
No. 544836 ID: 53ba34

even if using it is a bad idea selling it could be useful... funds are great to have on hand when founding underground cults that worship you.
>>
No. 544855 ID: e7c420

>>544836
What no this is a terrible idea. I mean, the money would be good, but another adventurer would just buy it and become a threat. Bury that shit, yo.
>>
No. 544862 ID: 75a612

Well, if we impersonated this person, you'd have reason to take the clothes and magic weapon.

The usefulness of that kind of depends on the size of the people you sense. A small village you could walk right in and slaughter. A big city you'd be better off entering covertly, and picking people off serial killer style to avoid being overcome.
>>
No. 544958 ID: b8ee20

>>544855
I doubt cold iron is particularly rare.
>>
No. 544984 ID: 52e1ab

>>544816
Take knife, transform, wear previous clothes (the clean ones), go to town. Have you passed by any coin/gold in your previous kills? Don't take the coins from this one.(going for animal attack)
>>
No. 545087 ID: 0b54f4

Hey, since you're semi-incorporeal, can you phase into stuff? Like the ground, or walls, for instance?

Also, can you be a magic user, yourself?
>>
No. 545121 ID: f15532

steal his genitalia this is important
>>
No. 548847 ID: b21c4a
File 138476777429.png - (85.52KB , 800x600 , 038-conspiracy.png )
548847

>Nah, I think you're good to go!
Awright!

>think the magic weapons will be useful or no?
Probably not. I got all the weapons I need inside me.

>Can you use a magic weapon safely?
Sure! It's just that if I accidentally stab myself with it, it'll hurt.

>I'm less interested in the cold iron returning dagger, since it's quite possible for you to fumble the catch and injure yourself.
It's not cold iron, just magic. And hey, I'm not that clumsy!

>I mean, the money would be good, but another adventurer would just buy it and become a threat. Bury that shit, yo.
This sounds sensible to me. If only I had some kind of crypt or something to put it in, with a bunch of traps around it...

>A big city you'd be better off entering covertly, and picking people off serial killer style to avoid being overcome.
This is a large life reading. Definitely a city, not some podunk little town.

>I doubt cold iron is particularly rare.
It's just iron that's been quenched in blessed water. It's kinda rare, since that gets expensive, so you don't just make all your weapons that way, but it's still just iron, so it's not hard to make.

>Hey, since you're semi-incorporeal, can you phase into stuff? Like the ground, or walls, for instance?
No. I'm not really incorporeal, but I'm not solid. It's less that things pass through me (or vice versa) and more that I just kind of... go around them. Solid stuff still exerts normal force on me.

>Also, can you be a magic user, yourself?
I'm kind of born of magic, so everything I do is sorta magic by default! My impersonations, the shapeshifting, it's pretty much magic.

I'm just going to leave the clothes here. Worst comes to worst, I could pick off someone who's leaving and take their identity if I have to sneak inside.
>>
No. 548848 ID: b21c4a
File 138476778873.png - (123.21KB , 1600x1200 , 039-travels.png )
548848

Walking, walking, walking...

Man, this feels like it's taking weeks.

Finally. I think I see something way up ahead. I'm gonna check it out from the bushes.
>>
No. 548849 ID: b21c4a
File 138476780256.png - (86.95KB , 800x600 , 040-element.png )
548849

Okay, here we are. Spectral Senses are getting pretty busy here. I might not be able to use them in the city.

What do I do here?
>>
No. 548851 ID: 7bbaae

>>548849
Okay, so your senses are telling you the guy on the right has a magic weapon? Or is that cold iron? Well, either way, the guy on the right is a threat, while the guy on the left is not.

What's that third symbol? Looks like a lightning bolt.

I say we should shadowblend around them if possible, so that they do not realize you have entered their town until you start killing people. What's that thing that fell off the wall?
>>
No. 548853 ID: 53ba34

the thing on the ground appears to be a seal of some kind. i think that section of the wall was enchanted but the magic seal broke off. meaning shadow blend and ooze through the hole n the wall.
>>
No. 548856 ID: bee296

Uhh, ok.
Dude with the light is a mage, while the dude with the bow has magic.
Either one can hit you if you attempt to attack the other, and do so from a distance.
I reccomend you NOT ENGAGE! slip around undetected if you can, but we might have to consider picking off...
Oooooh.
Idea. We basically slaughtered that last villiage right? But they won't know that, and every now and then someone will come along and try to go there. The small size of that last village SHOULD prevent us from running into any major heros, and leave us with lesser fights we can slowly kill to keep the big slaughter hidden.
With a cover-up like that, it's the kind of thing that should show we're not some ordinary little demon.
>>
No. 548866 ID: 5fd94e

Can you identify what those seals do?

And if they are not alerted to anything do you think you can make it to where the brick fell out without alerting the guards, as it seems you can either go through the hole or climb over if its an anti-demon seal.
>>
No. 548871 ID: fc937d

Magic user and a weapon that pings your radar. I don't like the looks of fighting that. And if we do fight our way in, the whole town will be put on alarm.

>>548853
I'd agree with this. Explains why the wall is so short- it's not to keep out people who could hop it. It's there to keep monsters or spirits from crossing the ward.
>>
No. 548890 ID: 9ddf68

huh, looks like we're not going to be able to just slaughter this city like that piss ant village if there guards are packing this much heat, at least not yet anyways. I say try that brick thing and see if you can't slip by... and watch out for sticks and other things that could make noises this time.
>>
No. 549036 ID: b21c4a
File 138483662341.png - (46.79KB , 800x600 , 041-lurk.png )
549036

>Okay, so your senses are telling you the guy on the right has a magic weapon? Or is that cold iron?
Shit, I don't know.

>Well, either way, the guy on the right is a threat, while the guy on the left is not.
Sure.

>Dude with the light is a mage, while the dude with the bow has magic.
He has a sword, too.

>Either one can hit you if you attempt to attack the other, and do so from a distance.
Uh...

>Magic user and a weapon that pings your radar. I don't like the looks of fighting that. And if we do fight our way in, the whole town will be put on alarm.
Yeah...

>looks like we're not going to be able to just slaughter this city like that piss ant village if there guards are packing this much heat, at least not yet anyways.
Right.

>What's that thing that fell off the wall?
Do I look like I know? What, am I a book of thing-lore?

>the thing on the ground appears to be a seal of some kind. i think that section of the wall was enchanted but the magic seal broke off.
Sounds as good a theory as any.

>Can you identify what those seals do?
I don't know jack shit about seals. Ask a wizard.

>it's not to keep out people who could hop it. It's there to keep monsters or spirits from crossing the ward.
That makes sense.

>meaning shadow blend and ooze through the hole n the wall.
Ooze? I'm not a slime. I'll just climb over.

>and watch out for sticks and other things that could make noises this time.
Fuck you.
>>
No. 549037 ID: b21c4a
File 138483664835.png - (44.38KB , 800x600 , 042-caught.png )
549037

Right. Sneak up, climb over the wa--

"You know what's ironic? The sensing thing you're using makes you easier to find. Or is that just an amusing coincidence?"
>>
No. 549039 ID: 9ddf68

well then... I think we should start running. Also can we turn that damn thing off in the future or are we stuck with it?
>>
No. 549041 ID: 7bbaae

>>549037
Oh great, ask who this asshole is. They haven't immediately alerted the guard, so at least we know they don't want you dead. Don't bite his hand as tempting as that may be, since a scream from a bush would attract the guards' attention.
>>
No. 549047 ID: 53ba34

if it wanted you dead it would of just attacked.
>>
No. 549063 ID: 7f3f68

>>549047
True. Furthermore, it looks like he has his hand over your mouth to stop you from making any noise, so it looks like he's trying not to let you get discovered.
>>
No. 549073 ID: bee296

Stop. See what this guy wants, because if we're found out here we're in for a royal butt-kicking.
>>
No. 549127 ID: fc937d

Turn and glare at this interloper. Let's see who this is. Hold back on the shouting or violence since we don't want the whole town on alert just yet if we can help it.

>Shit, I don't know.
Well it's your own dang fault for picking up fancy magic senses but not the key or instructions manual.
>>
No. 549169 ID: a121c5

>>549063
Yeah, but also maybe ooze around his/her fingers a little. Just to, you know, keep the creepy going. You have an image to maintain.
>>
No. 549759 ID: 7bbaae

Ooooh wait I have a better idea.

Transform into a female villager and call for help. The guards will come save you from your attacker! You might even be able to sneak attack one of the guards while the other is busy. If you can do so quietly enough, you can then kill the second one too!

Or maybe this guy accosting you will kill the other one for you.
>>
No. 553056 ID: 9f401c
File 138770624665.png - (20.81KB , 800x600 , 043-lashout.png )
553056

>ask who this asshole is
>stop you from making any noise
>Stop.
>Turn and glare
>Hold back

NO

FUCK

"Heh heh heh heh! Going to have to be faster!"
>>
No. 553057 ID: fb4e93

Ah. Well...ok, then. We'll, uh, wait until you calm down a bit.
>>
No. 553059 ID: 7bbaae

>>553056
Is that a fucking ghost? Well, you're pretty fast now. Tackle it!
>>
No. 553069 ID: 53ba34

inhale really hard! it's a soul, so it must be ate
>>
No. 553083 ID: fd6ae9

>blatantly ignores us, again.
Geeze, why do you even bother asking for our help.

You do know you can always kill things after trying to talk to them, right? Doesn't always work the other way. And running around like an idiot trying to kill this ghost or spirit or whatever is just going to undermine your attempts to enter the town without alerting your victims.
>>
No. 553087 ID: 9ddf68

wait, is that thing coming from you?
>>
No. 553187 ID: 5fd94e

Alright Dionaea, please try to work with us here, we want you to succeed but if you use less thought process than a wounded animal you are going to end up banished, and I don't think you want to wait another thousand or so years for a chance to let these beings fear your name. Do not attempt to engage whatever this is, it is clearly strong enough that it does not consider you a threat.

Find out what it wants and possibly what it is, and we can kill it at a later time once we can do so safely.
>>
No. 558537 ID: 7bdac6
File 139020704520.png - (75.27KB , 800x600 , 044-aggression.png )
558537

>Is that a fucking ghost? Well, you're pretty fast now. Tackle it!
ERRRGRRRRRH

>inhale really hard! it's a soul, so it must be ate
GRAAAAAAHHHHH

>wait, is that thing coming from you?
NO

"Alright, alright, calm down or they're going to hear you flailing. Relax."

"You fucki--aargh--fuck--fucker! I'll kill you!"

"That'd be difficult, seeing as how I am already dead."

"I'm a shadow demon! I eat souls!"

"I'm not a soul. I'm a being of magic -- like you. I'm just a fossil of a soul. Whatever person I was eroded a long time ago."
>>
No. 558538 ID: 7bdac6
File 139020706872.png - (298.14KB , 800x600 , 045-nonplussed.png )
558538

"Well, if you're magic, then I can hurt you, you little shit."

"Well, yes, technically, but to be honest, I'd welcome the banishment. I've... been... for far too long. Again, relax. I'm just here to give you a warning."

"I can handle my own self."

"I'm sure you think you can. But you're not the only demon around these parts, not by a long shot. Be careful."

"Why would you warn me?"

"I warn all the newcomers. That was a big magic ripple you sent out crawling your way back into this plane -- I sensed you miles away. I wager I'm not the only one."

I take a deep breath. People thoughts. Yes. Thoughts before actions. Words before violence.

"That stunt you pulled back there with the village was an easy way to get a lot of power quickly, but it was very high-profile. I recommend you stick to the bigger cities from now on and prey on easy targets that won't be missed. Be what goes bump in the night."

"Fuck you. I'll do what I want."

"Alright, suit yourself, but the Emperor's warriors don't take kindly to demons slaughtering their citizenry. You're gonna get a magic sword through your gut in no time."

"I can take 'em."

"Eventually. But don't rush yourself. Alright? Peace out."
>>
No. 558539 ID: 7bdac6
File 139020711006.png - (236.25KB , 800x600 , 046-perturbed.png )
558539

The ghost evaporates into thin air.

Fucker.
>>
No. 558540 ID: 53ba34

it dd have A point, but it didn't have to be so snarky about it.
so, other demons. what happens if a demon kills another demon?
>>
No. 558541 ID: dec5f7

...damn it, the bastard has a point.
>>
No. 558542 ID: 9ddf68

hmm, well it was just a no name village so if we lay low and don't do to much to bring attention to ourselves they might just think it's a bandit attack or that we're long gone. The little bastard also had a idea about just stalking nobodies to gain power without attracting to much attention to ourselves. Either way before we do shit we still have to get to the city and see what it's like before we can really decide on what we want to do.
>>
No. 558614 ID: a87e3a

>>558539
So, according to him, our best plan is to infiltrate the city, and kill forgettable folk where there are no witnesses. A slow, safe progression of power. We might even be able to steal someone's identity and work as an executioner for some free kills.

He also wouldn't mind dying, but didn't let himself be killed. Sounds like he's another demon's slave. I bet you can create ghosts too with enough Necromancy. Question is, did the other demon send him to warn you to keep you from getting killed, or was it to keep you from getting too much power and becoming a threat or bringing the army down on their head too? Actually in either case maybe you should follow the ghost's advice.

Let's sneak into the city regardless of what our plans are, and just scope it out.
>>
No. 558770 ID: 4a75fa

Dude, you're not at full power. If you charge strait at everything, eventually you're going to be overcome by sheer numbers, attrition, or the bad luck of running into something stronger than your current level of power before you're prepared.

Annoying ghost was right. You want to survive long enough to make the world fear you? You have to play a little smart and avoid getting killed.

Unless you'd prefer to wait another few ages for a shot.
>>
No. 558800 ID: a703cb

Hrrrm. I had wanted to try to play off that slaughtered village but it seems running and hiding wouldn't be a bad idea.
I figure, follow the wall until you find another road, travel along said road until you find a village, and from there...
the FUNTIMES BEGIN! it's best if it's another no-name like the last village, so that no-one will be inclined to pay that much attention to it.
>>
No. 558968 ID: e4e41e
File 139037064777.png - (32.95KB , 800x600 , 047-grumpy.png )
558968

>it dd have A point
>the bastard has a point.
>Annoying ghost was right.
Fuck you too! I'm the best. I'll play by whatever rules I want. And let's be honest here, does spending a few decades building up power by sniping drunks in alleyways sound like a good time to you?

>just stalking nobodies to gain power without attracting to much attention to ourselves.
>A slow, safe progression of power.
B o r i n g.

I don't mind playing it safe. I'm down with that. But I'm so not down for the food chain lifestyle. I'd be banished of boredom if I never took any risks ever, and I'd still probably get taken out by somebody, especially 'cause the more time you spend on the plane the longer the competition has to become aware of you.

If you're worried about me getting into lethal trouble, there's plenty of countermeasures I can set up so that I can secure my foothold on the plane and won't get booted out 'til the next era the first time somebody chops my head off with a magic sword.

Like, a cult is always a good first step. Convert a few people into worshipping me and they'll feel it when I get offed and can summon me back. Unfortunately, the amount of power I come back with is directly related both to how intense their worship is, and how many people are sacrificed to summon me. Converting a few people in a podunk village and getting them to sacrifice a goat is a great low-profile safety measure, but you'll basically be back to square one, and if for any reason they stop believing in you, you're basically fucked, so you have to visit them once in a while, too. Good cults can be extremely hard to sustain, what with having to constantly draft in fresh blood for monthly or weekly or, gods forbid, daily sacrifices, not to mention the batch that dies to bring you back. Also, the neighbors tend to notice, and adventurers will crawl out of the godsdamn woodwork to topple your evil hold on the land or whatever. Sometimes it's a quick power grab to amass a big ol' following and have them banish you, then poison themselves ritually to bring you back even more powerful than you were before, but... it's not often practical.

Anyway, the main other thing is artifacts. If you get someone to make a statue of you or something, those can usually be great entrypoints. You can hide them in some tomb and step back into the plane in only a few months, or weeks, depending on the quality and state of decay. The downside is that adventurers love to pilfer that shit, and it's really hard to come back on the down-low when a statue turns into a shadow demon in the middle of a crowded marketplace. Really holy bastards might just smash them on sight, too, and then it's worthless. It doesn't have to be a statue, though, just anything that's specifically made to represent you.

I can also make items into artifacts by stashing power into them, which doesn't really help me unless I come back later and get it back out. Only really ideal if I know I'm gonna die soon, and only have a rudimentary failsafe to come back with. The more powerful demons can tell you, those things go missing all the time. If you leave them alone for more than a decade they're probably long gone.

Some of this might sound kind of familiar. Just between you and me, there's not a lot of difference between gods and demons. Gods are the magical entities mortals willed into existence by believing in them because they wanted something immortal to look up to and have watch over them. Demons are the magical entities mortals willed into existence by believing in them because they were afraid of the dark and the unknown and we were what they imagined lurked there. That's why we're evil and gods are good. It's just our nature. But we're mostly independent of mortals now.
>>
No. 558969 ID: e4e41e
File 139037066890.png - (86.35KB , 800x600 , 048-peer.png )
558969

Ugh, that was a mouthful. Looks like those two idiots are totally oblivious still. Good.

>what happens if a demon kills another demon?
The latter demon is banished and, if it was a direct kill, the first demon gains a fraction of their power. That's why competition between demons is so fierce. Very few encounters with other demons don't end with a fight to the death, metaphorically speaking.

>Sounds like he's another demon's slave.
This might be reaching a bit.

>I bet you can create ghosts too with enough Necromancy.
Ghosts like him? Nah. He's a natural formation. Like he said, he's a fossil. When someone dies prematurely, and no god wants their soul, it has nowhere to go, and it just kind of sits around and fades away. Since it's decaying directly in the magic field, the magic seeps in to fill the empty space, and eventually there's just a magical imprint of a soul which becomes a ghost. Once they're banished they're gone for good. They don't really have a core or a purpose. Since there has to be a soul, ghosts are pretty much only formed by people who die of unnatural causes, like murder. He probably had a really sordid past that conspired to put him in that position. I bet he's super touchy about it.
>>
No. 558971 ID: 53ba34

wait, the idiot on... our right seems to be looking over at us. well, our general direction. could it have felt the ghost? give em a minute to cool off. then when he stops paying attention check out the hole in the wall to the right of them. and that seal looking thing on the ground.
>>
No. 558973 ID: a87e3a

>>558968
Yeah, that does sound familiar.

>>558969
You could kill the guards but then they'd increase security, making it much harder to get back in the city later. Just hop over the wall where the broken seal is, and let's stalk the streets and kill a whole BUNCH of homeless folk. Maybe break into a rich fucker's house to kill him and his family and the servants too. Steal their valuables to make it look like a burglary.
>>
No. 559047 ID: 4a75fa

>I'd be banished of boredom if I never took any risks ever
We're not saying take no risks. We're just saying... not every risk is a smart risk. And you've been pretty caution-averse to this point. Just trying to get you to play smart, when it makes sense.

Like, attacking the ghost. It got you nothing, risked discovery pointlessly, and just make you look silly and powerless in front of it. You'd have been better off just talking from the get-go.

>cult, artifacts
The problems with the cult system seem pretty well stuck with what a cult is. Not a whole lot of ways around that, unless you can sanction or protect the cult by making it part of a powerful nation's public and accepted religion.

The artifact system seems more like something we could game.

Although both are a little premature. We still need to see about sneaking into this town.
>>
No. 559051 ID: 00e87f

I was thinking when you got into the city we'd take down a few bums maybe pretend to be one and find a way into a gang or large scale crime syndicate and see if we can't work our way up to whoever is in charged and get our hands on a nice juicy soul. I mean if they're the boss of whatever we get into they have to have a plumper sole then most right?
>>
No. 564995 ID: dad7dc
File 139382165564.png - (60.99KB , 800x600 , 049-scale.png )
564995

>wait, the idiot on... our right seems to be looking over at us. well, our general direction. could it have felt the ghost? give em a minute to cool off. then when he stops paying attention check out the hole in the wall to the right of them. and that seal looking thing on the ground.
I think he's just looking around. Either way, I'll wait for him to look away.

>Like, attacking the ghost. It got you nothing, risked discovery pointlessly, and just make you look silly and powerless in front of it. You'd have been better off just talking from the get-go.
Nobody sneaks up on me like that and gets away with it. Period. End of discussion.

>Not a whole lot of ways around that, unless you can sanction or protect the cult by making it part of a powerful nation's public and accepted religion.
Heh heh... that'd be sweet. 'course, the other nations around here would probably be adverse to neighbouring a demon-worshipping empire.

Yeah, that amulet is definitely some kind of demon-repelling thing. I give it a wide berth. So what's the plan while I'm in here? Anything I should keep my eyes out for?
>>
No. 564996 ID: 9ddf68

Not sure, right now we're just trying to see what's in the town and how big it is. I'd guess the best things to look our for would be places of religion cause they might have things that could hurt you and wherever they keep the guards in the city for the same reason. This places would also be areas for us to avoid until we have a reason to go near them. Other things to look out for would be a hunting grounds of sorts and of course somewhere for you to hide during the day.
>>
No. 565014 ID: 4a75fa

>Nobody sneaks up on me like that and gets away with it. Period. End of discussion.
...except he did get away with it. Attacking things you can't hurt isn't very satisfying.

>what look for?
Maybe a way to get the lay of the land, look around the place? Anywhere tall, or with a good vantage so we could survey the town? That isn't, say, the local church steeple. Or a manned guard tower.
>>
No. 565017 ID: 53ba34

yeah, want to scope out a major city before the first kill.
>>
No. 565274 ID: cee89f

>>564995
Scout the place out, first. Predators need to know their territory. Then we'll look for your first victim. You'll need a cult, but you'll need power enough to convince them to worship you before that.

In addition, you should probably find out the location of the nearest other city and/or some local geography, just in case we need to bail in a hurry. We're not exactly Tzeentch right now.

Who's up for pretending to be a serial killer and eating the police officers who come after us? You get souls from the serial killer victims AND from police officers. Some safe bets mixed with some risky bets and subterfuge. Everyone wins!
>>
No. 565275 ID: 9b57d3

>>564995
Look for any inns where adventurers might buy rooms. A mercenary guild would be a good place to snag some rich lives as well. Oh, speaking of rich lives, maybe we can sneak into the house of an upper-class rich guy with little moral fiber (I'm not entirely certain how we'd be able to tell who is evil/selfish enough) and offer our services as an assassin. Forging connections amongst the mortal world might land us a way of forming a cult or simply the finances to make a statue or something.

It's never too early to plan ahead for your options for resurrection.
>>
No. 570364 ID: 66cfc5
File 139738200672.png - (38.79KB , 800x600 , 050-sneak.png )
570364

Phew, glad to be past that wall. Something about it made everything feel like it was going so slowly.

So, this town seems quaint.

>Not sure, right now we're just trying to see what's in the town and how big it is. I'd guess the best things to look our for would be places of religion cause they might have things that could hurt you and wherever they keep the guards in the city for the same reason. This places would also be areas for us to avoid until we have a reason to go near them. Other things to look out for would be a hunting grounds of sorts and of course somewhere for you to hide during the day.
Well, having walked around a little, I'd say it's probably got a few hundred people in it. Some of the buildings are multiple floors high. There's a market district, but it's the middle of the night, so it was empty and kind of bare and all the shops were closed. I assume during the day there's lots of tents and stands and stuff. There are larger houses on the outskirts of town, with rows of medium-sized ones in the middle, and then big multi-story complexes that I assume are apartments closer to the center and important districts.

The guard barracks is close to the center, and there's churches dotted around the whole place. Seems they have no shortage of worship here. It's fine, I was expecting it. As long as I don't mess with them it won't be too much of a problem.

The whole place seems to be surrounded by that wall, and it seems to be pretty well-maintained. The fallen brick near the entrance must have happened recently. As for a place to sleep in the day, I could probably just kill someone and take their apartment. It would only be good in the short term, and would probably raise serious concerns if I did it frequently, but it'll be perfectly serviceable for my first week in town or so.

Hunting grounds? I could probably just walk the streets and pick off people unlucky enough to be taking a stroll. It's what I usually do.

>...except he did get away with it. Attacking things you can't hurt isn't very satisfying.
I can hurt him! He just dodged out of the way. He's a being of magic just like me. He can be hurt by magic, like I can, which means we can hurt each other. The only reason I didn't tear him to bits is that you jerks stopped me.

>In addition, you should probably find out the location of the nearest other city and/or some local geography, just in case we need to bail in a hurry. We're not exactly Tzeentch right now.
I mean, there's not, like, any maps. All the stores are closed, so I can't buy one, either. I'd have to ask somebody.

>Look for any inns where adventurers might buy rooms. A mercenary guild would be a good place to snag some rich lives as well.
I can't find any guildhouses. This must not be a high-profile enough city for them to be present. There aren't any inns, either. Inns only really show up on roads and tiny towns, as a place for people to stop and refresh themselves, or stay the night, before continuing their journey. Big places like this have boarding houses, where all the transients rent rooms along with people who are down on their luck. Finding adventurers just based on where they sleep will be pretty difficult.

>Oh, speaking of rich lives, maybe we can sneak into the house of an upper-class rich guy with little moral fiber (I'm not entirely certain how we'd be able to tell who is evil/selfish enough) and offer our services as an assassin. Forging connections amongst the mortal world might land us a way of forming a cult or simply the finances to make a statue or something.
I dunno, this sounds risky. Rich people usually have guards, especially immoral ones, because they don't want people snooping around their place or threatening them. I think I should get some more power before I try something like that, both for leverage, and to back me up in case they don't like the cut of my jib and I need to get out of town in a hurry. Also, they're pretty selfish, and wouldn't be interested in worshipping me unless they feared me.

>It's never too early to plan ahead for your options for resurrection.
Amen.

>Who's up for pretending to be a serial killer and eating the police officers who come after us? You get souls from the serial killer victims AND from police officers. Some safe bets mixed with some risky bets and subterfuge. Everyone wins!
Who's pretending? That sounds like a decent idea, though. Any others?
>>
No. 570369 ID: 2c6ff1

>>570364
I like the serial killer plan for starters. Draw some weird insignia onto the corpses!

Also don't forget you can kill someone then shapeshift into them and steal their identity by wearing their clothes. Do it to someone who doesn't have any social ties and you can use their home for a long time. Can you walk around shapeshifted during the day? Kill a beggar and hide the body properly and you could take their form to wander the streets and find out news about the mortal world.
>>
No. 570416 ID: 75b8af

I'd agree the rich-guy plan is too much risk, for now. You're making yourself vulnerable to and dependent on someone else for little reason.

For now, let's hunt for someone who's identity you can steal. You get a meal, an apartment with spare clothes, and an innocuous appearance to adopt. Everything you need so people don't notice you.

>serial killer plan
Meaning, if possible, you should really leave bodies that look like they were killed with a weapon, rather than teeth or claw. It's to our advantage if they think the hunter in their midst is an ordinary mortal. It means anyone coming after us will be unprepared.
>>
No. 570427 ID: 9ddf68

I had a plan that would give us souls and maybe worshipers but I don't think this city is big enough. My plan was find where a bunch of homeless people lived or people just down on there luck and mess with a few small time thugs or some other undesirables and make it look like the homeless/unlucky people are the ones causing them problems. Then when the thugs come to deal with the homeless we protect them and kill the thugs. WHY you would do this is 1) the homeless would probably have very very poor souls and wouldn't be worth eating anyways 2) the thugs would have taster souls giving you more power quicker 3) as long as you're careful the guards would be less likely to be called in and 4) we could manipulate the homeless into worshiping you since you'd be protecting them and because for people to worship you the need a reason to do so. And fear only works when you're here in this world and breathing, once you kick the bucket unless your worshipers feel like there's something in it for them they'll likely scatter.

But yeah this can wait until we get into a bigger city where we could actually pull this off. For now I say either find someone who looks wealthy and take there place to steal there funds to get started on a statue or idle or something. Hell we could maybe hire some mercs or bandits or something to harass the town as well so people would look away from us when we started doing the murder thing. Or keep it simple and just kill someone and take there clothes and then wear one of the bodies of the people from the village you slaughtered and ask around to get the lay of the land (both this town and the surrounding area) so we can have a better idea on how to plan our next move then go on the killing spree.
>>
No. 570430 ID: cee89f

>>570364
>Who's pretending?
I meant pretend to be a HUMAN serial killer. It's one thing to be prepared to fight a stronger-than-average human, it's another to be prepared to fight a shadow-demon. If they think you're human, you'll primarily have to worry about the former.
>>
No. 570434 ID: 5bbbc0

Another thought was to see if you could find a real serial killer mid-crime, and kill him. Then, Proclaim his victim to be under your protection- as the gods clearly have abandoned protecting the individual not only in that the serial killer came across them, but you did as well.
Finally, you sum this speech with an offer- vow to worship and follow you, or share in the killer's fate.
Only problem with this approach is the time elapsed, both in finding this situation and in performing it. But if done right it would make for a powerful event in the victim's life, and possibly make for a faithful cultist.
>>
No. 570517 ID: cee89f

>>570430
Also, couldn't you just break into a store and STEAL a map?
>>
No. 577638 ID: 47fc6a
File 140218744330.png - (34.77KB , 800x600 , 051-alley.png )
577638

>I like the serial killer plan for starters. Draw some weird insignia onto the corpses!
Sounds solid. What kinda insignia?

>Can you walk around shapeshifted during the day?
I'm afraid not. Impersonate doesn't fundamentally change what I am. The only way I could ever walk in the daylight is if I got so powerful that I simply didn't care, and it posed no significant threat to me. How much I can take depends on my power and the strength of the light.

>For now, let's hunt for someone who's identity you can steal. You get a meal, an apartment with spare clothes, and an innocuous appearance to adopt. Everything you need so people don't notice you.
Only one problem with this plan: I won't know anything about the identity I'm stealing. I'd have to stalk someone or else kill them in their own home.

>I had a plan that would give us souls and maybe worshipers but I don't think this city is big enough.
Yeah, it's probably not. Keep in mind that the strength of the people worshipping me also matters to how much they can help me. It's sort of a short-term vs. long-term trade-off. It's a decent backup plan, though.

>Meaning, if possible, you should really leave bodies that look like they were killed with a weapon, rather than teeth or claw. It's to our advantage if they think the hunter in their midst is an ordinary mortal. It means anyone coming after us will be unprepared.
The problem with that is I don't have any weapons and I have no way to carry them.

>Also, couldn't you just break into a store and STEAL a map?
Yes, but I don't know what a map store looks like and I'm not about to start randomly breaking into shops. It'd draw attention.

[Dionaea consumes a Soul.]
>>
No. 577643 ID: f28bf6

>What kind of insignia
IDK, I'm guessing you don't have any sort of personal crest thing, so I figure something the shape of your head might work.
Maybe take the time to carve up the bodies of your kills until you've got something close enough.
>Need to stalk people to steal identity properly.
Well then pick someone who looks...Hrrm. I'd say pick an ordinary citizen-type. We want someone who won't be a major issue if he/she goes missing.
Better yet? If this person has a spouse, we can kill them, go nuts mutilating the body, and I mean NUTS, like you'd have to play jig-saw puzzle with the chunks left just to reassemble their face, then go back and get that knife you looted from the heroes, show up at their home shapeshifted, reveal your true self, and then combined threaten them into your service/entice them with power and rewards, the knife being the first of many. With any luck, we'll have ourself our first cultist that way.
>>
No. 577654 ID: c7a241

>so I figure something the shape of your head might work
...we want people to think the killings are non-demonic. Carving little demon heads in victims kind of goes the wrong way. Same problem with mystic creepy symbols.

Rip off a small body part. An eye, or ear, or tongue, or finger, or something. Trophy taking is a common compulsion among serial killers (or at least so tv tells me). We can just ditch the 'trophy' later.

>problem faking weapons
Uh, well, leave clean cuts and slash marks instead of rip and tear when you can? Large enough claws woulds could be mistaken for knife injuries, if done right.
>>
No. 577668 ID: cee89f

>>577638
Serial killers usually take some form of trophy from their victims. You could kill the person by striking them in the face with your claws, then taking their head as one of those trophies. Hide it elsewhere/destroy the head, bam! You've got a serial killer identity, and no one knows you're killing by fang and claw.

>Insignia

I was going to suggest writing 'blood for Dionaea' on the wall in the victim's blood, but that might draw the wrong kind of attention.

Keep it simple. Just draw a circle on the wall in blood.

>Yes, but I don't know what a map store looks like and I'm not about to start randomly breaking into shops. It'd draw attention.
.......

Fair enough. We'll worry about that later. For now, serial killer.
>>
No. 577671 ID: 7f9410

>>577638
Draw a line inside a diamond. Next kill, put a thin oval inside, as if the line were a lidded eye before it opened. Continue this making the oval thicker with each kill until it reaches a full circle. At that point, we stop killing and move on. How many kills this takes is up to you, and... if you're feeling cocky you could write your name in blood next to the last kill.

At some point you could put a diamond marking on someone's door. Just a random house. That might lead the guard along a false trail, buy you some time. If you're lucky you might even catch a patrolman near the house you marked the following night.

Oh, and if you want to play a joke on the investigators, you could perform your killings in a pattern (like, one night in the northeast part of town, next in the east, next in the southeast) but kill an extra person one night and plant their corpse in the next spot in the pattern on the same night. Then they'll try to have guards in the area of your next victim the next night, but you've already put a dead body there beforehand so they'll only find a cold corpse. During that night you should kill someone in a completely different part of the city. Optimally this would be toward the end of your killing spree because they'll start bringing in outside help at that point I think.

If we can't walk around during the day like this then we won't be able to do this for long. I'd limit it to 5 kills or so. Oh, once you feel like it, you could try to interrogate one of the victims before you kill them, in order to find out where we can go next. Nearby population centers or even a person of interest in this town.

During the day why don't we explore as much as we can? Maybe we can find some criminal hideouts underground, even.
>>
No. 577685 ID: 9ddf68

well if you want to hide the fact that you used claws or fangs you could just dump the body somewhere with rats or find some way to mutilate the body so anyone looking at it would have a bitch of a time finding a way to tell what kill the poor sod. Or you could just say fuck it, grab a brick or something around you and cave the guy's skull in after you killed him or something and just leave the "murder weapon" at the crime scene. Just try to focus the damage of whatever you used around the area you killed the guy to try and cover it up.
>>
No. 577689 ID: a2f9bc

>>577638
>Insignia
Drawing attention to ourselves or otherwise making people think "woah demon slash demon cult" seems like a poor idea.

What about some kind of popular religious symbol? Replicated faithfully without distortion. Could be the authorities would think it was some kind of zealous religious serial killer.
>>
No. 577691 ID: eaa372

Keep it simple, scratch a triangle into the corpse and then later on you can do misdirection by scratching that shape on people's doors after a few more kills. It's not quite being worshipped but you can force yourself into local mythology and ghost stories.
>>
No. 584015 ID: 53548a
File 140523463809.png - (16.53KB , 800x600 , 052-cleanup.png )
584015

>If this person has a spouse, we can kill them, go nuts mutilating the body, and I mean NUTS, like you'd have to play jig-saw puzzle with the chunks left just to reassemble their face, then go back and get that knife you looted from the heroes, show up at their home shapeshifted, reveal your true self, and then combined threaten them into your service/entice them with power and rewards, the knife being the first of many. With any luck, we'll have ourself our first cultist that way.
It sounds like fun except for getting that knife back. That's way out of the goddamn way. Plus, threatening someone into becoming your cultist doesn't really work out in the long run. They'll probably agree, sure, but as soon as your back is turned they're off for the hills. You want reliable people. Usually they're in it for power, or fame, or to satisfy a grudge, or just to be allowed to do terrible things. You'd be surprised what lurks in the hearts of mortals.

>Rip off a small body part. An eye, or ear, or tongue, or finger, or something. Trophy taking is a common compulsion among serial killers (or at least so tv tells me). We can just ditch the 'trophy' later.
Pretty good idea. I'll take his finger.

>Uh, well, leave clean cuts and slash marks instead of rip and tear when you can? Large enough claws woulds could be mistaken for knife injuries, if done right.
I can't promise that. I'm not going to be working out how to imitate a weapon when I'm fighting someone, especially if they actually pose a threat to me. I'd be better off getting an actual weapon.

>Keep it simple. Just draw a circle on the wall in blood.
Seems a little demonic. Serial killers don't have to be nuts. Sometimes people kill for fun, or for pay, or to rob people, whatever. I'm probably best off imitating one of those. I think I'll pose as a hired thug.

>Optimally this would be toward the end of your killing spree because they'll start bringing in outside help at that point I think.
That's what I want to avoid!

>During the day why don't we explore as much as we can? Maybe we can find some criminal hideouts underground, even.
During the day is the worst time to explore. I can't even use my abilities in direct sunlight. It's too disorienting. Daytime is when I find somewhere to hole up and hide.

>It's not quite being worshipped but you can force yourself into local mythology and ghost stories.
Doesn't really help me much. I exist because of local mythology and ghost stories. I am the magical embodiment of mortal fear and superstition. I'm the thing that goes bump in the night. Haven't I explained this before? Anyway, the only thing that could do is make more demons. Even then, it'd take quite a few people believing in the stories, for like, decades.
>>
No. 584016 ID: 53548a
File 140523466212.png - (22.42KB , 800x600 , 053-decisions.png )
584016

Anyway, I've been wandering around this place for hours and it's getting light. Any ideas before I find somewhere to sleep for the night?
>>
No. 584017 ID: b58751

Find somewhere abanded looking or out of the way. Without knowing the town layout that's about the best I can give you.
>>
No. 584031 ID: 2fd516

>>584016
How about that house right there. Sneak in and either kill the occupants or find a hiding spot where you are unlikely to be discovered.
>>
No. 584059 ID: b5130d

>>584031
A scene of a bloody murder isn't a good place to hide out. If the occupants are missed, or someone notices, that could lead to the house being searched, and, worst case, us being caught in a fight in daylight, when we're weakest.
>>
No. 584147 ID: ef7fd2

favicon up, get spooky'd
>>
No. 584223 ID: dcd676

>>584017
About what I was thinking. If it's possible, you might even want to slink back out to the forest and find a burrow or some thick vegetation to hide out under.
>>
No. 584225 ID: cee89f

>>584016
Do any of the nearby buildings have an attic/basement of some sort, or look like they might? If so, we can hide out in there until nightfall, and shadowblend if needed.

If not, I have to agree with the 'find-a-burrow' plan.

If we need to stay in town, we could hide in a sewer.
>>
No. 584288 ID: 8a46f8

HELL YEAH BLOOD AND GORE AND DEMONS HELL YEAH
dude. can you fit into a cupboard? i mean, shit, who's gonna go out and try the magical seal on the wall again? not someone as smart as you, i'd hope!
so what you do is find either a basement, or a hole in the ground, just for this night, or something like that...and so even if you're discovered, you can just take them out because while it's light outside, it's dark in there.
find a basement or a closet. sleep. ??? profit.
>>
No. 584545 ID: 53548a
File 140565592803.png - (32.27KB , 800x600 , 054-search.png )
584545

>How about that house right there.
>A scene of a bloody murder isn't a good place to hide out.
Also the window is closed, I'd have to break it. That might attract attention.

>you might even want to slink back out to the forest
No thanks, I don't want to try and cross that wall again. Too risky. I don't even know which way to head towards it, I'd have to find another gap.

>hide in a sewer
A what?

>attic/basement of some sort
>a basement, or a hole in the ground
A basement would probably work. Let me look around for something...
>>
No. 584546 ID: 53548a
File 140565593769.png - (42.50KB , 800x600 , 055-locked.png )
584546

Here we go! Ah, shit, of course it's locked... fuck it.
>>
No. 584547 ID: 53548a
File 140565594878.png - (29.20KB , 800x600 , 056-basement.png )
584547

All right, hopefully no one notices that broken lock. Looks like these barrels are empty, I'll hide in one of them.

>shadowblend if needed
I can't Shadowblend while I'm asleep.
>>
No. 584548 ID: 53548a
File 140565595732.png - (16.88KB , 800x600 , 057-sleep.png )
584548

...
>>
No. 584549 ID: 53548a
File 140565596638.png - (18.05KB , 800x600 , 058-wake.png )
584549

Guh! What time is it?
>>
No. 584550 ID: 53548a
File 140565598052.png - (24.91KB , 800x600 , 059-emerge.png )
584550

Looks like it's night again. Think I overslept a little; it's hard for me to tell when to wake up when I can't see the light outside. If anyone came in here during the day they didn't find me.
>>
No. 584553 ID: 9ddf68

Alright then what do you see? Also I think tonight you should focus more on exploring the town more then anything. If we're planning on staying here for a bit it would help to know where to hide/run should things become dire. Plus if we do to many killings to fast they'll probably send in someone who could really hurt you soooo yeah.
>>
No. 584558 ID: 2fd516

>>584550
We have a lot more time now. Slink around, see if there are guards about now that you've killed someone. I rethought the serial killer thing- it's going to be agonizingly slow to just kill one person per night. Also I figure you're gonna get bored of this place if you stick around more than a couple nights, so how about we start killing the night watch, now? Catch some alone on patrol and they'll taste a hell of a lot better than random beggars.

Then maybe we can check out one of the high class houses, kill someone in their sleep and take their shape. Raid their closet for a spare set of clothes to complete the disguise and then go find their library. Look up a map of the area, and we'll figure out where to go next.
>>
No. 584559 ID: 53548a
File 140566589572.png - (37.62KB , 800x600 , 060-encounter.png )
584559

>I rethought the serial killer thing- it's going to be agonizingly slow to just kill one person per night. Also I figure you're gonna get bored of this place if you stick around more than a couple nights, so how about we start killing the night watch, now? Catch some alone on patrol and they'll taste a hell of a lot better than random beggars.
This one knows what's up and what's down. This cautious approach being proposed ill suits me.

>I think tonight you should focus more on exploring the town more then anything.
Alright, that seems reasonable.

I guess I'll try and walk around the whole town, maybe I can make a WHAT is THAT

A priest, walking alone in the dusk? What dark goblin gods have smiled upon me this night?

He doesn't see me yet, but no doubt his trained eyes will pierce right through my Shadowblend if I approach him. I can taste his aging soul from here. Even withering away in his husk of a body, it is still strong and plump with wisdom.
>>
No. 584561 ID: 2fd516

Then use conventional stealth. Hide in the alley. Pounce on him as he passes by. If you can climb up the wall you could even get a height advantage too.

Wait, can you use your senses to tell if that staff is magical? If you get the drop on him it won't matter too much but it'd be good to know in case you can't kill him fast. If it's magical you'll have to treat it like a real weapon.
>>
No. 584563 ID: 53ba34

yes, if his eyes can see you, don't be anywhere his eyes can see. go above him or behind. you don't need a brutal attack to make a kill, a gash to the side of the neck would be enough to guarantee it.
>>
No. 584564 ID: f461c5

>>558968
So what sort of representations can you use to return? Do they *have* to be statues, or can they be medallions with your face on them, or even more abstract things? And what makes them more or less valuable for your purposes? The material they are made of, the skill of craftsmanship, the power of the person that made them? I imagine it would be easy to use such representations without too much risk of their being looted, with a little thought and a willingness to get away from the stereotypical tomb of terror.


>>584559
If you can climb that building, or another along his path, a dropping kill should do well. There are few defenses against such an attack.
>>
No. 584572 ID: cee89f

>>584559
Serial killers are pretty much defined by their propensity to kill LOTS of people. We don't need to limit ourselves to one a night :P

>Priest
... okay, on one hand, this is way too convenient to be anything but a trap...

... on the other hand, plump and juicy priest.

Do the conventional stealth thing. Can you get some high ground? Get on a roof or something to jump down on him from above?
>>
No. 584591 ID: 2fd516

>>584572
Lots compared to the average killer. Very few serial killers kill more than one person a day. They ALWAYS have a down time between killings. What we're looking to be is a mass murderer.
>>
No. 584614 ID: 988b15

Whatever you do make sure you do it away from your hidey hole
>>
No. 584647 ID: 53548a
File 140574734349.png - (43.92KB , 800x600 , 061-showdown.png )
584647

>Then use conventional stealth. Hide in the alley. Pounce on him as he passes by. If you can climb up the wall you could even get a height advantage too.
>yes, if his eyes can see you, don't be anywhere his eyes can see. go above him or behind.
>There are few defenses against such an attack.
Okay, maybe I didn't explain that well enough...

There's nothing special about his eyes. As a demon, I'm aligned opposite to mortal "gods," even though we're technically made of the same stuff. Remember, I'm the embodiment of mortal fear, and gods are the embodiment of mortal hope. It's a little more complex than that, but you get the picture.

Remember how Shadowblend only works when people aren't looking for anything out of the ordinary? Priests and paladins and the like are attuned to their god. They can sense me when I'm nearby, just like they can sense the presence of their deity, which means that they'll be on their guard for me, which means that Shadowblend won't work. It's not that they can see through it, it's that my presence alerts them.

>serial killers
There's no word for what you guys are thinking of, actually. It's a hybrid of spree killing and serial killing.

>you don't need a brutal attack to make a kill, a gash to the side of the neck would be enough to guarantee it.
>Do the conventional stealth thing.
Fuck, you guys are boring. Do you think that shadow is the element of cowardice, or something? Even if I could cut this guy's throat before he could react, I wouldn't, because that's insipid as anything. I'm not weak. It's a guy in a robe with a stick. I can take him, trust me. I'm not an assassin. I'm a monster.

>this is way too convenient to be anything but a trap...
How could this possibly be a trap?

>Wait, can you use your senses to tell if that staff is magical? If you get the drop on him it won't matter too much but it'd be good to know in case you can't kill him fast. If it's magical you'll have to treat it like a real weapon.

[ Dionaea casts Spectral Senses. ]

Yep, there's some magic on him, but that doesn't mean much.

"What's this? I sense evil. Show yourself."

Look, now you've done it.
>>
No. 584649 ID: 53ba34

well then get out there and kill him already if you can take him.


and if you DO lose then maybe you wont be so staunchly against being pragmatic.
>>
No. 584650 ID: 2fd516

>>584647
He looks... semi-transparent. Why?

Well if you're confident you can take him, why not make it fun? Mock him before you show yourself, then try to get him to run away so you'll have a brief chase. Just make sure you finish him off before any guards actually arrive, so you won't get jumped.
>>
No. 584652 ID: 9ddf68

oh for fucks sake fine. We're suggesting stealth because while you're a monster yes you're still near the bottom of the monster's totem pole and there are plenty of things out there that could take you on in a one on one fight. As such we've been suggesting you to use more clever tactics then running out in the open without a care in the world like some drunk madwomen since you're not at the point where you could go toe to toe with a holy order and come out on top unscathed so as such we've been trying to make it so your actions wouldn't immediately point to "demon killing spree" and send every order within a hundred miles down on top of your head until you have the resources and power to deal with something like that. But you know what fuck it, you know this game better then us so if you want just go out there and slaughter the guy, tear him limb from bloody limb, and then get the fuck out of town because that is going to attract a lot of attention and I'm pretty sure that hole in the ground you were hiding in won't do shit when the people coming for your head can sense you. Or if you want to do this in your own style after killing him go towards the local church, challenge they're god to an arm wrestling match or something and then just tear apart the heavens because fuck it, you're you, nothing bad can happen to you, a newborn demon with no worshipers, only a handful of souls most of which are dirt farmers, and who has never taken on a single opponent that could actually fight, at least not in a straight head to head fight. I'm sure you'll be fine.
>>
No. 584667 ID: 2fd516

>>584652
Jeez. I agree we should leave tonight, but I think we can kill more than just the one priest before having to skip town.
>>
No. 584672 ID: 9ddf68

>>584667
just trying to make a point. Plus I have a gut feeling that this isn't going turn out to well.

On the chance that I'm wrong though maybe we could go on a killing spreed to try lure the guards away from the wall when you're done with the preist and then run for it. Buuuuuut I'm not to sure how intact you'll be after drawing out the whole city guard if they manage to corner you and I'm not sure how we're going to survive any pursuing guards once daybreak arrives if we can't shake them off, and with no idea on where to go once we even leave this city seeing as we came in originally to get information (I think) like a map or something but never did I'm at a loss on where we could go to hide or even where to go next to try and find more souls or try out the whole gaining worshipers thing. Guess we could follow the road we take out of here and see where it goes but that might make it a bit easy for someone to track us. But maybe... hell if those wards where meant to keep us out maybe you could frame some hapless idiot you pick at random to make it look like he summoned you inside the city just to maybe throw off or delay anyone trying to track you down after this little stunt by having them waste time on that poor bastard. However if anyone does manage to pin this on us I'm not to sure what it will do to our PR as in I'm not sure if this will make getting worshiper easier or harder. Just random thoughts.
>>
No. 584673 ID: 53548a
File 140576018906.png - (39.93KB , 800x600 , 062-standoff.png )
584673

>semi-transparent
Pardon? Think you're seeing things.

>well then get out there and kill him already if you can take him.
>Well if you're confident you can take him, why not make it fun?

"Father."

"Child. How did you get here? This town is protected from your kind."

The priest's voice is raspy and low. He pronounces each word slowly and clearly.

"I have my ways. Nowhere is safe from those like me. You know this."

He doesn't take his eyes off me. "We must always remain vigilant against the darkness. Why have you come? Is it my time... already?"

"Your god has turned his head from you."

"Do not speak for my Lord. You are not his agent. You come for my soul, do you? Well... you have the advantage of me, but do not think I will perish without a fight. Little darkling... show me your might." He readies his staff against me.

"You would be better served to run for help than face me down."

"This is the truth, I cannot deny. But my voice abandons me as surely as my god. I would rather die with dignity than feel your claws in my back, and I would not yield my soul to a shadow dweller unearned."

"This suits me. Worry no more, old man. I will consume your regrets."

"You would consign me to oblivion."

"You would arrive there on your own, in due time."

"Little darkling, delay no more. I banished dozens of your ilk in my youth. I would feel that vigor flowing through my veins one last time. You are not so cruel as to deny an old man his dying wish."

[ Dionaea has the following abilities:

Feed: Dionaea can consume the soul of a victim and use it to grow in power. Dionaea must have physical contact with the victim when they die.
Shadowblend: Dionaea can turn invisible so long as the observer is not looking for anything out of the ordinary.
Permeable: Dionaea is a being of shadow, rather than flesh. Normal weaponry and attacks will sink into her harmlessly.
Impersonate: Dionaea can take the form of anyone whose soul she has consumed.
Feral Claws: Dionaea gains sharpened claws capable of injuring and maiming.
Spectral Senses: Dionaea can observe the traces of things beyond mortal senses.
Speed: Dionaea can move very quickly. ]
>>
No. 584675 ID: 879a42

This is an old but experienced priest right? We need to kill him quickly as his spells could really hurt if we aren't careful. Use your feral claws and speed to rush him, but give him a fient as you approach. He might have a magic dagger so just rush and dodge his first attack, then overpower him. If he goes to cast rush him even if you don't kill him, interrupting his spell by knocking him down would work just fine.
>>
No. 584680 ID: 9ddf68

nice speech, didn't peg you as the poetic type. But yeah, guy is old but he's a fighter so he may have some tricks up his sleeve. If I had to make a suggestion I would say prob his defense and keep moving around him so you can use your speed advantage over him and once you see an opening take it. Even if he doesn't call for help if your fight drags on to long you run the risk of alerting someone else who may go for help in the old man's steed so the quicker you end this the better.
>>
No. 584697 ID: 2fd516

>>584673
Feral Claws and Sprint are our combat options. Since he's not calling for guards, why not make it a last a bit? Try to disable him before finishing him off. Don't use Sprint right away, but rather use it to catch him off guard. If he somehow gains the advantage, Impersonate that guy you killed in town to get him to hesitate for a moment, then try to kill him fast.
>>
No. 584782 ID: cee89f

>>584647
>How could this possibly be a trap?
A priest shows up in the middle of town, just weak enough for feeding to be easy but just strong enough to make a tempting target.

Do I honestly need to explain how this could be a trap?!

>>584673
RIP AND TEAR
OMNOMNOMNOMNOM
>>
No. 584791 ID: eaa372

Crippling his legs first will make it easier to get into physical contact for the killing blow. Stay close enough that he doesn't get the chance to swing the staff. Otherwise watch out for any tricks, the old man's had a lifetime to come up with devious ideas.
>>
No. 584794 ID: 2fd516

The staff didn't sense as magical, though. It's probably not a threat. Probably. What's more likely to be a threat is the priest himself- he might be able to Smite Deionaea...
>>
No. 584804 ID: 53548a
File 140583449276.png - (39.64KB , 800x600 , 063-clash.png )
584804

>nice speech, didn't peg you as the poetic type.
Thanks for noticing I'm not retarded. I can talk gooder when I want to.

>Do I honestly need to explain how this could be a trap?!
Yes. Here's a key component of a trap: Someone setting it. What's the most likely explanation, he stayed late at church and is walking home, or he's bait in a trap by an unknown puppetmaster?

>Use your feral claws and speed to rush him
>Feral Claws and Sprint are our combat options.
Right!

[ Dionaea activates Feral Claws and Speed. ]

"Hyah! You're a speedy one, aren't you?"

He barely blocked it, but I can feel I've wasted the element of surprise on that one.

"Let's see how you like this!"
>>
No. 584805 ID: 53548a
File 140583450234.png - (20.55KB , 800x600 , 064-smack.png )
584805

Gah!
>>
No. 584806 ID: 53548a
File 140583451792.png - (18.19KB , 800x600 , 065-balance.png )
584806

I'm okay. I think the staff is enchanted with some kind of force spell, that hit way harder than it should have.

"No holy man ever leaves home without some kind of magical weapon, little darkling. We know our enemy."

"Stop calling me that, old fool."
>>
No. 584808 ID: 9ddf68

...A thought just occurred to me, why are we fighting fair? I mean you're an unholy killing machine, what in that sentence means we have to fight with honor? grab a handful of dirt and rush him again but instead of attacking toss the dirt into his face. If we can blind him we have the advantage.
>>
No. 584815 ID: 2fd516

>>584806
I... said not to use Speed right away. Well, keep it up, he can't keep up with you forever. He's old, he'll tire quickly.

>>584808
This guy knows what's up. After blinding him, sweep out his legs, take away his stick, and let him feel your claws sinking into him.
>>
No. 584822 ID: ef7fd2

Jeez, look at this old man's face. "what the dink does this joker think he's doing" is what that face says to me.
So, let's start getting tricky, play to our strengths as a force of evil.
Let's start by chucking shit at him, I assume it would be hard to block small rocks being tossed at the face with a stick.
>>
No. 584829 ID: cee89f

>>584804
Better question. Which is a scenario that we'd actually have to worry about and be prepared for: killing a near-defenseless old man, or dealing with a powerful enemy that knows you're there and dangerous?

>>584806
That staff... could you break it, maybe?

If not: feint an attack to the front, then get behind him to strike at his spine.
>>
No. 584850 ID: 53ba34

fake out, go for an attacka nd grab the staff when he blocks and yank it from his hands.
>>
No. 584852 ID: e6e228

Hrrm. He BARELY blocked your attack?
I've a thought-if the whole blind and trip plan doesn't work, what about grabbing his staff and wrenching it out of his grasp? I see no reason why that isn't an option if he's weaker than you physically.
>>
No. 584996 ID: 53548a
File 140591768954.png - (11.59KB , 800x600 , 066-block.png )
584996

>Better question. Which is a scenario that we'd actually have to worry about and be prepared for: killing a near-defenseless old man, or dealing with a powerful enemy that knows you're there and dangerous?
Neither. Don't need to plan for the former, can't plan for the latter when you don't even know they exist.

>Hrrm. He BARELY blocked your attack?
Well, yeah, I was going so fast he could barely raise the staff to block me in tme.

>I... said not to use Speed right away. Well, keep it up, he can't keep up with you forever.
Oops. Neither can I. It wears off eventually.

>...A thought just occurred to me, why are we fighting fair? I mean you're an unholy killing machine, what in that sentence means we have to fight with honor? grab a handful of dirt and rush him again but instead of attacking toss the dirt into his face. If we can blind him we have the advantage.
>This guy knows what's up.
>Let's start by chucking shit at him
Boom! Take some dirt, fucker.

Shit. He casts some kind of spell and waves his hand and the dirt is completely blocked.

"It seems three things in this world are constant: Death, taxes, and demons don't play fair."

That's fine. I got a backup plan.
>>
No. 584997 ID: 53548a
File 140591770836.png - (9.62KB , 800x600 , 067-grab.png )
584997

>take away his stick
>That staff... could you break it, maybe?
>I've a thought-if the whole blind and trip plan doesn't work, what about grabbing his staff and wrenching it out of his grasp? I see no reason why that isn't an option if he's weaker than you physically.
I close the distance as he blocks the dirt and grab his staff.

"Didn't anyone tell you not to take your eyes off your opponent, old fool?"

"How ironic... I was about to ask you something-- hrrngh--- similar. Didn't anyone tell you..."
>>
No. 584998 ID: 53548a
File 140591771801.png - (20.49KB , 800x600 , 068-shove.png )
584998

"...to learn from your mistakes?!"

"GYAAH--!!" He shoves me hard with the staff and I go flying. I blame you for this.
>>
No. 585000 ID: 707a11

Hook your feet into his staff as you fly back, kick up and put the momentum into dislodging the staff upward.
>>
No. 585001 ID: fc67cf

>Didn't anyone tell you to learn from your mistakes?
We try, fairly frequently. She just insists they aren't mistakes and then refuses to change her behavior.

>>585000
If you don't have the leverage for this, slam you arms (or extended claws) into the ground behind you and leverage your legs up. The impact will hurt, but you're made of stern stuff, and it'll turn your momentum in a direction that helps us.
>>
No. 585004 ID: 2fd516

>>584998
So he's not weaker than you, and he has magic to counter dirty fighting. You're gonna have to go all out. Use your speed to circle around and attack at unexpected angles. Be an annoying dodgy fucker. If the speed boost has worn off well uh...

You could also:
Stomp on his feet
Kick him in the nuts
Claw up his hands
Bite his hands or his face
>>
No. 585010 ID: 707a11

Why should we help you if you're going to ignore our advice and criticize our reasonable suggestions? If you can't figure out how to control your hubris, you will fail at everything you attempt.
>>
No. 585019 ID: 53548a
File 140592491623.png - (9.92KB , 800x600 , 069-flying.png )
585019

>So he's not weaker than you
>Hook your feet into his staff as you fly back, kick up and put the momentum into dislodging the staff upward.
>If you don't have the leverage for this, slam you arms (or extended claws) into the ground behind you and leverage your legs up.
It was the force magic you idioooots

I'm already too far awaaaaayyy

>Why should we help you if you're going to ignore our advice and criticize our reasonable suggestions?
Because your suggestions are shit! Come up with better ones and I'll follow them!
>>
No. 585026 ID: 9ddf68

(sigh), well I'm not so got with enchanted bullshit so I'll just rattle off what I know about weapons. He's using a staff/pole/stick so he's got reach on his side but the drawback of weapons with reach are if you can get within there reach the weapon suddenly becomes shit. HOWEVER I have no idea if that force enchantment nulls that or not as I'm not sure how much force he needs to put into his stick to knock you back.

Either way think you could get close to the old man again? you have more then just your claws you know, you also have some very sharp teeth, and if that fails you can always kick him square in the balls. Also if you can find some way to grab on to him I think you could win. If you could grab an arm you can stop him form striking you with the stick and if not HOLD THE FUCK ON and take him with you when you go flying. If you can pin him and get on top you can just tear into the old fart with claw and fang.
>>
No. 585029 ID: 53ba34

the problem is you have no follow through. you have more then just hands. you have foot claws, instead of talking to him just attack more. attack with one claw, he blocks it, attack with the other and he may be able to block then two, but then you slam your foot through his stomach.
>>
No. 585030 ID: ef7fd2

>>585019

alright, idea: we got us an urban environment, and we are trying to fight the priest head-on.
that's stupid.
Stop doing that.
Get us a good look at our surroundings, see what we can do with what we have. For now, my plan is as follows:
Scramble into an alleyway, then once out of sight onto the rooftops. Get a good leap in on him assassin-style, and his delicious throatmeats will be right for the plundering.
And for cripe's sake, can we STOP ARGUING. We can talk about your crippling unwillingness to listen to reason and our unwillingness to not make stupid suggestions AFTER we murder the old man.
>>
No. 585033 ID: 1aef49

>Come up with better ones and I'll follow them!
You mean like that idea we had about not getting into a fight that's not one-sided in your favor when you're still weak and just getting started? Yeah, that was such a shit idea. You're right, attacking this priest is going great.

>what do
Well, you can always duck and roll when you impact, I suppose. Unless you can grab onto that wall as you go by and do scary sideways wall-skittering. Maybe come from an angle he doesn't anticipate.

If you get grappling claw to staff again, try using speed to run your claws along the shaft until you hit his hands. Shred em. If he can't move or hold the staff as well, he's weakened. And as long as he has the staff to protect himself, his hands are the easiest part of him to target.
>>
No. 585047 ID: 2fd516

>>585019
Well at least HE's having fun. How about you make a tactical retreat. Maybe you can find some sort of improvised weapon nearby that'll help you kill him. Like, chuck a rock at his head from a distance. Or jump down on him from a rooftop while he looks for you. You really just need one solid hit for an old man like him to crumple up.
>>
No. 585068 ID: a2f9bc

I assume you can land alright on your own. He thinks you're dumb and don't learn from your mistakes, so run in and make to grab for his staff again. It's a feint, go low and slash at his legs. He's too good to take out in one move, but maiming him should slow him down enough to finish things.
>>
No. 585074 ID: 879a42

Throw dirt in his eyes or a discarded object like a glass bottle lying around. Otherwise just leap straight into him. You can shift your body somewhat right? Take a narrow form like an arrow and get around his staff, then attack him and fling his staff away before ripping him limb from limb. Take his jaw as a trophy. He is a mouthy mortal and needs to learn his place.
>>
No. 585077 ID: e6e228

Okay, let's think on this.
Priest guy's not bad, but the main and central danger to him is that staff and it's force amplification magic.
SO, I've a thought-if nothing else, get into that grapple position, but then get out of the way so the force amplified shove he does will carry him instead of acting on your own body.
Buut since that's probably not worth it, we can also attempt a high-velocity dive on him. I figure the raw impact from that SHOULD injure him even if he blocks it, but we're gonna have to find an alternate means of combat for you because right now you've only got the charge like an animal at him tactic, and this is something he's milking like a cow!
>>
No. 585088 ID: 53548a
File 140595517177.png - (9.06KB , 800x600 , 070-into-the-fray-once-more.png )
585088

>He's using a staff/pole/stick so he's got reach on his side but the drawback of weapons with reach are if you can get within there reach the weapon suddenly becomes shit. HOWEVER I have no idea if that force enchantment nulls that or not as I'm not sure how much force he needs to put into his stick to knock you back.
So basically he's using a weapon with an enchantment that nullifies the drawbacks of using that kind of weapon. Great.

>the problem is you have no follow through. you have more then just hands.
>you have more then just your claws you know, you also have some very sharp teeth
I haven't gotten close enough to him to do anything. He just keeps pushing me off.

>You mean like that idea we had about not getting into a fight that's not one-sided in your favor when you're still weak and just getting started? Yeah, that was such a shit idea. You're right, attacking this priest is going great.
It's not going badly either. I'm not hurt. This is the problem. You fucks declare defeat before you've even started. It's like you haven't been listening to me at all. How do you get really powerful? By taking risks and seizing opportunities. Does that mean being headstrong and charging blindly into danger? No. But only doing things you're absolutely sure will go your way is a one-way ticket to wandering fields looking for farmers to pick off.

I told you about that. I said, "There's a reason the good demons are powerful beasts that even the most hardened veteran fears, and the bad demons are just rural legends nobody has actually seen." I'm weak now, but if I don't challenge myself, I'm just going to stay that way. ANYWAY, we can argue about this when I'm not fighting this dude. It's just lucky that internal arguing like this takes up much less time than

>Scramble into an alleyway, then once out of sight onto the rooftops. Get a good leap in on him assassin-style, and his delicious throatmeats will be right for the plundering.
Running from him would be kind of fucking humiliating, and anyway trying to surprise him wouldn't work because even if I jumped off a really tall building, he would be able to sense me coming before I hit him and would just get out of the way.

>if nothing else, get into that grapple position, but then get out of the way so the force amplified shove he does will carry him instead of acting on your own body.
I don't think it works like that. The enchantment just multiplies the force the staff exerts onto its victim. It's not actually affecting him using it at all; it would be a pretty worthless enchantment if it did.

>Well at least HE's having fun.
:(

>Throw dirt in his eyes
Oh man, you don't pay attention too well, do you? I like your style, but geez.

>Unless you can grab onto that wall as you go by and do scary sideways wall-skittering. Maybe come from an angle he doesn't anticipate.
Oh man, that would be pretty awesome. But no. Maybe if I invested more power into my Mobility.

>but we're gonna have to find an alternate means of combat for you because right now you've only got the charge like an animal at him tactic, and this is something he's milking like a cow!
If I kill him, maybe I can invest in another ability! The stuff I have is the stuff you guys chose. You should have prepared me better.

>He thinks you're dumb and don't learn from your mistakes, so run in and make to grab for his staff again. It's a feint
I flip backwards, land on my feet, and run at him again.

"What's this, coming back for more? You really don't learn your lesson."
>>
No. 585089 ID: 53548a
File 140595518768.png - (13.73KB , 800x600 , 071-swipe.png )
585089

>If you get grappling claw to staff again, try using speed to run your claws along the shaft until you hit his hands. Shred em.

"If you say so!"

"AAArrghhh! You little--"
>>
No. 585090 ID: 53548a
File 140595520345.png - (11.07KB , 800x600 , 072-tables-turned.png )
585090

Now I have the staff. But he's retreated and is casting what seems to be a healing spell. I get the feeling that without his staff he's going to be relying on his magic a lot more, which might be bad news for me.

But, well, see how good things happen when you apply yourself?

[ Dionaea's Speed and Feral Claws subside. ]
>>
No. 585091 ID: 6d3b18

>You fucks declare defeat before you've even started.
>By taking risks and seizing opportunities. Does that mean being headstrong and charging blindly into danger? No.
Let's leave it at we're considerably more cautious than you are. Maybe we'll respect your ability to discriminate between useful risks and foolish risks if we ever see you actually back down from something.

>Speed and Feral Claws subside
Is there a cooldown before you can use those again? Speed might be useful, but for the moment, you can use his own damn staff against him instead of your claws. More reach, and an enchantment. He won't land as easily as you did if you can slam him into a wall or the ground, and you can break him arms, crack his skull, knock the breath out of him, etc. Whatever gets him down, unable to cast spells or fight back momentarily, and leaves you open to eat his soul.

>He's spellcasting
I would assume that takes some amount of concentration and time to pull off? Keep the pressure on- interrupt his casting with an attack if you can. Force him to choose between evading attacks / defending himself or getting his spells off. Force him to choose between wasting his magical reserves on healing spells as you continue to injure him unopposed, or attacking you while his injuries pile up. That's a fight of attrition he can't win.
>>
No. 585097 ID: e4acae

An old man channeling magic with his healthy hand to heal his injured one? Bite it off, then the Other, then go for his Throat. Or change the order however you like, rip and tear the old guy APART!
>>
No. 585098 ID: d2bd0f

Can a person make an enchantment which only works for them, by the way?
Well, he's now wide open for your lovely razorteeth! Sweep his feet out from under him with the staff then pounce!
>>
No. 585101 ID: e6e228

As tempting as pressing the attack is?
I'm thinking we should back off unless you can use your [Speed] again to strike before he finishes his casting.
See, if we go for the attack and he's prepping a blast, I bet he'll just blast us with it, maybe take a minor hit but not enough to finish him, and while we're reeling, THEN heal himself and be ready to rumble again.
But if he's prepping a heal and we run, he'll get healed, yes, but we'll still have his staff, which we can use, as well as likely being at a distance at which we'll be able to dodge his blasting spell if he's prepping one, and close before he can set up another spell.
That said, I imagine you'd rather press the attack, in case he IS going for the heal, and we get to end this now.
With any luck, we can get him by watching his spell-casting hand and if he points a finger or a palm at you, MOVE!
>>
No. 585106 ID: 2fd516

>>585090
Looks like spellcasting doesn't require speech. Does it require concentration? Well, in either case he's quite skilled at it so I doubt you can fuck up his spells. Instead, make sure that even if he does heal himself it won't help a lot. Sweep his legs out from under him with the staff!
You could also smash his nose, that'll make his eyes tear up and make it harder to see. Even if he heals the damage he'll still have tears in his eyes.
Or, you could use that loop on the staff to catch him and draw him close to you.

Once you have him at your mercy, give him a big kiss then rip his throat out with your teeth.
>>
No. 585109 ID: 53ba34

smash his face in with his own stick.
>>
No. 585173 ID: 879a42

Jam that stick full force into his face then throw the stick far away. Clerics never have telekenis spells so he can't get it back that way. It should send him flying. Try to get him midair or as he lands. I don't care how experienced he is he can't keep a spell going midair. Proceed to mercilessly rip him pieces. Take his jaw as a trophy.
>>
No. 585189 ID: 707a11

Whip the stick up and hit him under the chin with it. That should end the fight.
>>
No. 585214 ID: 9ddf68

hit him between the legs with the full force of the stick. lets see how high this sticks enchantment can send this old fart flying.
>>
No. 585235 ID: 707a11

Maybe those last two suggestions aren't the best choices if we want to be touching him when he dies. Maybe strike downward on a part of his body that isn't immediately fatal.
>>
No. 585617 ID: 53548a
File 140622163123.png - (6.78KB , 800x600 , 073-advance.png )
585617

>TALKING!!!
Wow, don't crowd in all at once, geez.

>Let's leave it at we're considerably more cautious than you are. Maybe we'll respect your ability to discriminate between useful risks and foolish risks if we ever see you actually back down from something.
I ran away from that guy with the throwing knife, so go fuck yourself.

>Is there a cooldown before you can use those again?
Yes.

>I would assume that takes some amount of concentration and time to pull off?
Depends on the spell.

>Can a person make an enchantment which only works for them, by the way?
That would be incredibly difficult and probably require an insane amount of skill but I don't think it's impossible.

>That said, I imagine you'd rather press the attack, in case he IS going for the heal, and we get to end this now.
Actually I'm not super eager to get near this guy with his hands free. I don't know what he's capable of. I haven't really gotten hurt thus far and taking a fireball to the face would really ruin my day.

>Looks like spellcasting doesn't require speech. Does it require concentration?
Well, you can't juggle while you're doing it.

>Maybe those last two suggestions aren't the best choices if we want to be touching him when he dies.
Indeed. This stick doesn't count as part of me. It'd be a huge waste.

Let's see... I want to get at his legs... but he's casting another spell...
>>
No. 585618 ID: 53548a
File 140622164623.png - (8.22KB , 800x600 , 074-iced.png )
585618

Here goes nothing-- Fuck!
>>
No. 585620 ID: 2fd516

>>585618
Smash the ice on your legs with the staff's force enchantment.

I think you might want to try grappling him. Just get a hand on his robe, and you can pull him in close for a bite.
>>
No. 585626 ID: e6e228

Oh. Didn't see Ice magic coming, to be honest. Alright, smacking the ice sure, but in case that force thing sends you flying again, might as well swing so you'll be sent towards him if possible, so you can claw him or something! Or at least hopefully he won't run away or worse yet, teleport away. He does that...Well, he's floored so I figure he'll probably move to get up on instinct which means if we can bust the ice quickly we should be able to distract him from his next spell by MAULING!
>>
No. 585637 ID: 9ddf68

I'm really starting to wounder why a priest knows how to fight. I mean the staff I can understand but I thought priest where just the guys that preached the religion and they have someone else that did the fighting. Oh well fuck it.

Think you could break the ice without sending your self flying? Because I think it would be best to get moving again before the old man can hit you with more spells.
>>
No. 585641 ID: 2fd516

Oh, more ideas... you could break the window and dive in there to dodge a magic attack, then try to either re-engage or take a hostage from inside the house to make this ludicrously unfair for the priest. Chances are he'd sacrifice himself to try to save a hostage.
>>
No. 585682 ID: 707a11

Looks like you've swept him. Great. Grab him by the scruff of his neck--don't even worry about breaking the ice, just grab him--and sink your teeth into his carotid.
>>
No. 585685 ID: 2fd516

>>585682
Oh, it looked like he jumped away almost. I think you have the right of it. Grabbing him at this point will result in a kill.
>>
No. 585687 ID: 879a42

Grab him and go for a bite for the quick kill, then worry about your feet, also make sure not to drop the staff. If he simply goes flying then break the ice and go for a melee kill. He shouldn't be able to even start casting until he stands up so rush him.
>>
No. 585896 ID: 53548a
File 140638487018.png - (9.45KB , 800x600 , 075-sweet-catch.png )
585896

>Smash the ice on your legs with the staff's force enchantment.
Good idea. You're getting the hang of this.

>I think you might want to try grappling him. Just get a hand on his robe, and you can pull him in close for a bite.
Can't do this at the same time, though.

>I'm really starting to wounder why a priest knows how to fight. I mean the staff I can understand but I thought priest where just the guys that preached the religion and they have someone else that did the fighting. Oh well fuck it.
Uh, well, I don't know why you thought that because it's never been the case. You might be thinking of paladins, but priests are clerics too. They're just a cleric firmly dedicated to a single god.

>Grab him by the scruff of his neck--don't even worry about breaking the ice, just grab him
>Grabbing him at this point will result in a kill.
>Grab him and go for a bite for the quick kill, then worry about your feet, also make sure not to drop the staff.
Alright, I'll do that instead, then.

"Hah! Good catch, demonling-- I could have broken my hip there."

You gotta be fucking kidding me.
>>
No. 585897 ID: 53548a
File 140638488778.png - (7.88KB , 800x600 , 076-iced-again.png )
585897

argh
>>
No. 585905 ID: 53ba34

use the stick to keep yourself from falling over.
>>
No. 585922 ID: e5e5e0

Use the force from your stick against the ground and propel yourself back at him for a sweet attack.
>>
No. 585932 ID: 6d3b18

Good thing you don't need to breathe.

Use stick to flip yourself forward, and smash your iced up face into his face. It'll hurt him a hell of a lot more than you, and it might break your face free, or put you in a position to bite his face off.
>>
No. 585934 ID: 9ddf68

... just use the stick, free yourself, beat him into a bloody pulp until you feel better, just to beat him for the sake of beating him. Just use the stick.
>>
No. 677780 ID: 3cbc5f
File 144524048259.png - (7.35KB , 800x600 , 077-upright.png )
677780

>use the stick to keep yourself from falling over.
Done.

>Use the force from your stick against the ground and propel yourself back at him for a sweet attack.
Do you still not understand how this force enchantment works? Here's a hint: Not that way!

>Good thing you don't need to breathe.
Yeah well it's magic ice so it still REALLY STINGS, okay?

>Use stick to flip yourself forward, and smash your iced up face into his face.
>... just use the stick, free yourself
I can't see a damn thing through this fucking spell. What's he doing? Which one of these should I do?
>>
No. 677782 ID: f56624

Look out, he's gonna cop a feel!
>>
No. 677783 ID: 0ed6e9

he's behind you, about 3/4 the length of your body. head to toe to be exact. He has a concerned look on his face and has his left hand up but I don't see any glowing crap that he had the last time he cast a spell. Also I suggest free yourself so you can move so he can't just fall back and pelt you with spells. but feel free to take a swing at him if you think you can reach.
>>
No. 677793 ID: 3cbc5f
File 144524426295.png - (12.08KB , 800x600 , 078-andover.png )
677793

>but feel free to take a swing at him if you think you can reach.
How would I know that?! I can't see! That's your job!

>I suggest free yourself so you can move so he can't just fall back and pelt you with spells.
I smash the ice around my feet with the staff. The force enchantment flips me head over heels.

Whoa, I just felt something pretty powerful cut through the space where I used to be a second ago. Whatever that was, I don't want to be there when he casts it again. I'm about to hit the floor and be pretty much helpless until I get back on my feet. What should I do?
>>
No. 677794 ID: 0ed6e9

probably see if you can't break the ice off your face so you can actually see the guy.
>>
No. 677837 ID: 3663d3

stay moving. you don't want to be an easy target. slap your head against the ground a little to break the ice, trying the staff could just knock you out.
>>
No. 677900 ID: fbc59e

Let's not go for the ice on our face unless we have to. I suggest either rolling or trying to get to his feet...Unless the power of that spell means he won't easily be able to fire it off again.
>>
No. 678013 ID: 025c3c

>>677793
Spring forward. Headbutt him with your ice mask. It'll hurt him more than you.
>>
No. 678163 ID: 3cbc5f
File 144533082540.png - (6.49KB , 800x600 , 079-seemerolling.png )
678163

>probably see if you can't break the ice off your face so you can actually see the guy.
And how do you suggest I do that, smart guy? Smack myself in the face with the magic hittin' stick? Yeah, sounds like a great idea.

>stay moving. you don't want to be an easy target.
Easier said than done when you're flat on your back.

>slap your head against the ground a little to break the ice
It's magic ice, that's not gonna work. It's like ten times stronger than normal ice, though it's still just as weak to magic as normal ice is to... well, normal things.

>Spring forward. Headbutt him with your ice mask. It'll hurt him more than you.
It probably would, but I'm in no position to do that. No leverage.

>I suggest either rolling or trying to get to his feet...
Rolling works. I'm rolling towards him. What's he doing?
>>
No. 678180 ID: 0ed6e9

looks like he's about to try to give you another holy high five. You might want to jump. Preferably up so you'd be leaping at the guy but really anywhere but forward or behind where you're rolling will also do.
>>
No. 678183 ID: 88960e

>>678163
He's backing up, and prepping another holy hand blast, looks like.
>>
No. 678220 ID: fbc59e

Can you trigger your [Speed] again, and dash out of the way of the holy blast he's about to hit you with?
>>
No. 678227 ID: 3663d3

can you morph? change to a shape that doesn't have it's head in ice.
>>
No. 678456 ID: 3cbc5f
File 144540466438.png - (8.03KB , 800x600 , 080-kneelbeforezod.png )
678456

>You might want to jump. Preferably up so you'd be leaping at the guy but really anywhere but forward or behind where you're rolling will also do.
You don't really get this whole 'jumping' thing, do you? I can't jump anywhere when I'm lying on my side.

>Can you trigger your Speed again, and dash out of the way of the holy blast he's about to hit you with?
I wish. I need more souls to make it last longer. When I run out of it it takes a long time for the souls I've got to recharge it, especially when I'm doing something active like fighting and I've got other powers cooling down.

>can you morph? change to a shape that doesn't have it's head in ice.
Uh, no. I can't Impersonate my way out of it, and I might be flexible, but not that flexible. Just like I can't squeeze through a hole in a brick wall. I've pretty much exhausted my useful powers in this situation. All I have left is the staff.

Since you guys can't come up with anything useful, I'm just going to get up so I have a little more mobility. I don't think he's gonna let me get near him again. I'm on the defensive now; I need to do something to regain the advantage.

"You should flee while you still can, demonling. It seems you are neither powerful nor clever enough to defeat me."

Fuck that! Fuck him! I just need to get one good hit in. God dammit, think!
>>
No. 678469 ID: a93c23

Jump may have been a bad choice of words. What I really meant was get the fuck out of the way. Also he has an ice spell and another holy high five charging. So you're probably going to have to do something to catch him off guard. Judging where you just heard his voice think you could hit him with the pole if you through it at him? Cause even if all you do is make him flinch you could rush him and actually get your claws into the smug prick.
>>
No. 678488 ID: e02397

Swing the staff hard at approximately your shoulder level. Since you are crouching, that means it's at his hip level-- possibly hand level if he's casting something bad at you.

It may break those poor weak hips of his, a hand... and he'll probably survive to be consumed, too.
>>
No. 779237 ID: bec5e8
File 148698465968.png - (18.79KB , 800x600 , 081-swinglow.png )
779237

>Judging where you just heard his voice think you could hit him with the pole if you through it at him?
>Swing the staff hard at approximately your shoulder level.
This thing is really slow to swing... it may hit hard even when you get up close, but it still wooshes through the air like a truck.

I felt an impact shudder through the pole. Did I get him? I think I can hear his bones shattering.
>>
No. 779238 ID: 094652

You missed. Continue your swing and force the glass shards into the old man's spine!
>>
No. 779239 ID: ba506f

no he wasted his ice spell to block your attack but still has the other spell charging. make it look like you're about to lunge forward but instead jump to your right instead. I'm trying to bait out his holy high five so you can get in close and hit him. Also don't swing the pole, poke him with it. It's quicker and even if the enchantment doesn't go off you can still disrupt whatever he's planning to do next.
>>
No. 779241 ID: cdddb5

Okay, now jump to the side, because this guy's about to shoot another holy ray at you. After that, we're still probably gonna need to close the distance, so staff in one hand, claw in the other, and approach carefully...I think about in the space of 2-3 walking speed paces, he'll be about to cast another spell, at which point we'll need to dodge again.
So I'm thinking a pattern of dodging to the side so we lose as little distance as possible, and then utilizing the wait between spells to get closer until we can claw him-none of that staff nonsense-it's slow but powerful, but his spellcasting is the same way, and he's experienced enough with that style to keep foiling it, like shooting the ice into it to slow our swing.
Alternatively, you could just follow through with the swing and send him packing, but I think that'd be trading hits and I dunno if you can take a shot of that light-beam.
>>
No. 779257 ID: bec5e8
File 148699845131.png - (8.86KB , 800x600 , 082-dodgetwirl.png )
779257

>You missed.
>he wasted his ice spell to block your attack
>he's experienced enough with that style to keep foiling it, like shooting the ice into it to slow our swing.
"You still have much to learn, little darkling. When you attempt to use my own weapon against me, understand that means I know all of its weaknesses."

Is there some kind of smugness requirement to be a cleric? Do you have to take a test on it and if you're not condescending enough, you don't get into Holy School, or is it something they teach you there?

>make it look like you're about to lunge forward but instead jump to your right instead.
>Okay, now jump to the side, because this guy's about to shoot another holy ray at you.
Well, I'm glad he said something because it gives me a better idea where he is. I feint forward, then twirl to the side as something holy lances through the air. It feels weaker than the one I dodged earlier; I think that was a hail mary, so to speak. He probably can't just sling those out all day, unlike the ice.
>>
No. 779259 ID: bec5e8
File 148699848706.png - (14.22KB , 800x600 , 083-stickwiththeprod.png )
779259

>utilizing the wait between spells to get closer until we can claw him
I don't have my Feral Claws activated anymore. They're still pretty sharp but if I want to really mess him up I have to use my teeth.

>Also don't swing the pole, poke him with it.
I lift the staff straight up in the air and feint an overhead, then quickly swipe it down into a poke. It hits like a wrecking ball, the force rippling through his abdomen. I'm pretty sure that hit him, at least; he made a wet noise. Is he down? Tell me he's not dead, I need to be touching him when he dies.
>>
No. 779260 ID: 89b351

>>779259
he's hurt bad but still casting
grab forward with your left hand to stop his next holy spell and pull yourself in to headbutt, hopefully breaking that ice on your face with his face
>>
No. 779265 ID: cdddb5

>Need to be touching while he dies
Sonnova-okay DEFINATELY DROP THAT STAFF NONSENSE-he's got blood coming out his mouth and he can't be long for this world now, but he's got one last light spell left in him and we need to both dodge it and get in close.
Or you could try to tank it and eat him anyway-Not sure which option we should go for here.
>>
No. 779267 ID: 5f2b81

Coughing up blood, readying a holy spell in his right hand. Grab his right arm with your left and twist it out of the way, then just repeatedly claw at his throat with your other hand/headbutt him. That should do it.
>>
No. 779274 ID: bec5e8
File 148700574906.png - (39.71KB , 800x600 , 084-headbutt.png )
779274

>grab forward with your left hand
Gotcha.

"Well d--"

>headbutt
>headbutt him

"-urk"
>>
No. 779275 ID: bec5e8
File 148700576537.png - (41.61KB , 800x600 , 085-execution.png )
779275

Time to finish this.

"Th--"

Nope. No last words for you. You've done enough talking.

A grisly cracking sound.
>>
No. 779276 ID: bec5e8
File 148700577810.png - (44.23KB , 800x600 , 086-fatality.png )
779276

[ Dionaea consumes a Greater Soul. ]

I can feel it... this strength, surging through me. Just that one soul, and I feel so much more powerful than I did before. All his skill, his training, his experience shudders through me like a drug, albeit faded at the edges from his age. In his prime, his soul would have been three times as potent, but it has been withering away in his husk of a body. Until I freed it.

[Please choose from one of the following specializations:

Subterfuge: Dionaea can silence her movements and turn her form completely black to blend into the shadows.
Belligerence: Dionaea can create a one-handed weapon of shadow for a short time. It counts as an extension of her body.
Redoubt: Dionaea can sprout spines over her body that will injure anyone grappling her.
Mobility: Dionaea can jump high and far.
Trickery: Dionaea can create a double of herself that will stand motionless.
Necromancy: Dionaea can animate the fragile skeleton of someone she has slain, causing it to climb out of its meaty shell and serve her.]
>>
No. 779298 ID: b8d5aa

trickery would have been useful there.
>>
No. 779302 ID: 094652

Necromancy, for distractions and allies.

Despite all the potential for complex skills, you are alone on your missions, with little chance of recruiting allies. Having minions will increase your options from sending them to the meat grinder to expendable distractions and spies.
>>
No. 779304 ID: cdddb5

Alrighty, so first things first.
We.
Need.
A.
Cult.
And to do that, first, we must establish that dark forces are returning.
We have ourselves a dead priest. We draw your name, the unpronouncible version of it, or maybe a fragment, with his blood next to his corpse.
I know you want to find a prime version of this dude, but frankly, a prime priest will probably just sense us, blast us, and it's another 100 years of peace for this kingdom while we reform.
Secondly...
I think we should go one of several ways.
1. Necromancy, gives us minions we can use to tie up an opponent before going for a killing blow.
2. Redoubt-we can close quickly on our foes, this should let us do more damage and be more problematic to engage in melee.
3. Beligerence- Sooner or later, we're gonna see some armor. Wanna know what I REALLY don't want to see? Armor on a dude that can sense us so we can't just do a death from above dive onto him, and can stop our claws&teeth, especially since we don't seem to have the strength to outperform mortals.
>>
No. 779308 ID: 3abd97

>>779276
I think mobility would be the most useful.
>>
No. 779309 ID: f6795e

>>779308
>>
No. 779317 ID: d79f26

mobility, then get that ice off your face, then leap atop the nearby building.
>>
No. 779323 ID: f10010

Necromancy! Necromancyx10! My skeletons count as votes too. I'm telling them to vote skeleton. They would probably agree even if they /weren't/ my minions. 11 votes for necromancy.
>>
No. 779324 ID: ba506f

>>779276
Trickery has my vote
>>
No. 779328 ID: cdddb5

Well, I'm joining Team Necromancy and voting for that. We need some filler between our hit-and-run tactics.
>>
No. 779474 ID: 7ef772

Redoubt sounds like the best option but Necromancy sounds like more fun. I vote Necromancy.
>>
No. 779476 ID: bec5e8
File 148706507463.png - (33.12KB , 800x600 , 087-showingoff.png )
779476

[ Dionaea's Feral Claws and Speed are now available. ]

It was all worth it. I won, and it was good. I can still feel the power of his soul coursing through me. There's so much of it. I feel a little giddy.

Thanks for your help.

[Necromancy specialization chosen. Dionaea gained ability Animate Skeleton.

Next Necromancy ability: Dionaea can summon a small, stupid imp-like creature to do her bidding.

Mobility specialization chosen. Dionaea gained ability Leap.

Next Mobility ability: Dionaea can make herself slippery to the touch, allowing her to squeeze through tight spaces and evade capture.]
>>
No. 779477 ID: bec5e8
File 148706508740.png - (49.26KB , 800x600 , 088-leavingamark.png )
779477

>get that ice off your face

[ Dionaea activates Feral Claws. ]

>We draw your name, the unpronouncible version of it, or maybe a fragment, with his blood next to his corpse.

Well, I guess we're giving up on that whole serial/spree killer thing then. That's fine, this suits me better anyway.

Well, then. That was satisfying, but the night has only just begun. What next? Did you still want to have that argument?
>>
No. 779481 ID: 57f342

Do you need to remove the flesh to animate a skeleton or will the servant look like a zombie until the flesh decay?

I suppose now you should seek information. Preferably information about secure locations to spend the day and who in this tow are more likely to be worth prey.
Take the clothes and shapeshift as a villager, we need to ask some questions.
>>
No. 779483 ID: ba506f

>Did you still want to have that argument
I'm sorry what was the argument about again? I kinda forgot while focusing on the priest fight.

Also I guess we could try and find a talisman or something to work on a backup plan for you resurrecting yourself incase you do somehow bite it. Or just say fuck it and start looking around town for more souls. Your call really.

Oh and are you going to keep the enchanted staff or are you going to just leave it here?
>>
No. 779489 ID: cdddb5

Wellp, since the idea is to place a 'signal' to get the authorities up in arms and worried, we've gotta find a random citizen or two to pop open and get their skeletons I think for our new Necromancy power, then it's back to our hideout, with the skeletons as gaurds during the daytime.
>>
No. 779494 ID: bec5e8
File 148708251315.png - (86.53KB , 800x600 , 089-tastetest.png )
779494

>Do you need to remove the flesh to animate a skeleton or will the servant look like a zombie until the flesh decay?
I can't animate the flesh. The skeleton forces its way out of the corpse.

>I'm sorry what was the argument about again? I kinda forgot while focusing on the priest fight.
Something about how I'm an idiot for attacking this priest because he wasn't a total pushover, and how I'm also stupid for never backing down from a challenge even though I have multiple times. Basically it was about how wrong you were.

>are you going to keep the enchanted staff or are you going to just leave it here?
That's really up to you and how useful you think it'd be. I mean, worst comes to worst, I could sell it if I could find anyone willing to buy it off me. I'll just leave it here until you decide.

>I suppose now you should seek information. Preferably information about secure locations to spend the day and who in this tow are more likely to be worth prey.
I already kinda did that yesterday, and told you all about it. >>570364

I guess I can scout some more, though.

>Take the clothes and shapeshift as a villager, we need to ask some questions.
I could nab his robe, but who would I ask? Everyone in this town is asleep. Except some of the guards, I suppose. I can go dress up as him and find one to talk to if that's what you want... seems kinda risky, though, those two at the gate were capable of hurting me and they might be able to sense me if they're pious.

>Also I guess we could try and find a talisman or something to work on a backup plan for you resurrecting yourself incase you do somehow bite it. Or just say fuck it and start looking around town for more souls. Your call really.
I can't just find a talisman to use as a get out of jail free card. I have to actually have someone make it for me. The only way that artifacts work as summoning points is if they're specifically built for that purpose, for you, by an expert. I can make my own, by putting some of my own power in them, but that's only so I can come get it later if I die. It won't bring me back.

There's really no shortcuts or free rides here. All of the ways I could ensure my continued presence in this plane in the event of my banishment are difficult, laborious, and expensive. I'm not just going to be able to pop around to the Resummoning Shop and pick up a doodad that lets me come back whenever. These are serious projects I have to give my full attention to when I'm ready. It's probably best to focus on building up my power for now.

>Wellp, since the idea is to place a 'signal' to get the authorities up in arms and worried, we've gotta find a random citizen or two to pop open and get their skeletons I think for our new Necromancy power, then it's back to our hideout, with the skeletons as gaurds during the daytime.
Sure, that should work. I don't have to expend thought or energy keeping them animated so they'll function fine while I'm asleep. Might make it a little harder to hide, though; if someone walked into that cellar while I was sleeping in the barrel, they wouldn't have had any idea I was there, but if I had a couple skeletons milling around to defend me I think they would be alarmed.
>>
No. 779496 ID: 57f342

>I already kinda did that yesterday
So, did you found out who are the richest? Did you catch any rumor about noteworthy locals? What about wise people, like mages or alchemists selling their goods in town?
You were lucky to find a quality soul this time, but don't get used to it. Most of the prey you will get at random will be small fish, specially after they find out about the priest.
If we could locate targets and stalk them our power progress could be optimized without wasting time with mass killings of worthless people. Don't get me wrong, mass killing is great and all, but will call much more attention than a few assassinations, so it's probable best to do when you are ready to leave.

Also hide the staff somewhere. If the shops are close you can't sell it now.
>>
No. 779498 ID: 57f342

>I could nab his robe, but who would I ask?
You could visit one of those boarding houses. Pretend to be an average woman in desperate need of cheat lodging and work opportunities. That character should have no trouble in hearing gossip from the locals.
>>
No. 779503 ID: cdddb5

Hrrm. That...changes things. So, for now we need to find ourselves the seat of power in this town and who's sitting in it. I'm willing to bet if we snoop around the people near that power, we'll find one that's been wanting some of that for him/herself. From there, we can get started on the cult...But we also need more personal power. For that, I think the seat of power idea should still work-even if the person in charge isn't suitible, I'm willing to bet there's gonna be some prime souls around there that should be good for increasing our abilities.
So. Find Seat of Power. Scout for evil mortals and pure mortals. Kill pure mortals, use evil mortals for cult, glory. Victory. Getting to prove that ghost from before wrong.
As for the staff...I say keep it, I think. Maybe hide it wherever we stashed that knife from before, or somewhere around town that's not our hideout.
>>
No. 779513 ID: ba506f

>Something about how I'm an idiot for attacking this priest because he wasn't a total pushover, and how I'm also stupid for never backing down from a challenge even though I have multiple times. Basically it was about how wrong you were.
Ah, that. First off I would like to apologize since I was going through a bad moment and took it out on you. but that does bring up a question. Is their any way for you to get stronger other then consuming souls? I know the stronger the individual the stronger the soul but I'm just wonder what other ways are there for you to get stronger other then souls and getting a cult following?

>enchanted staff
sure might as well take it. If it proves to be a pain in the ass we can always dump it later. And if we ever do need money we can always shapeshift into some random nobody and sell it while pretending to be a mortal.

>what to do next
maybe find a few more places for you to hide in during the day. Or hell even somewhere to hide the bodies of your victims or at least their skeletons. Since we did take out someone from one of the churches I have a feeling people are going to be looking for us just a wee bit harder so having multiple place to hide out in during the day might help keep them off our tail. Plus if you can summon multiple skeletons at once we could hide out their our lure people their and then BAM, skeletons jump out of the bodies and ambush whoever's their. Oh that gives me an idea. Does this town have a cemetery or a crypt?
>>
No. 779519 ID: 89b351

>>779494
Can you program the skells with commands when you go for a nap? if you can, get them to lie down pretending to be normal piles of bones and only get aggressive to anyone that's close to discovering you.

fair enough if they're not that clever, it is necromancy 1 after all.

Anyway it might not be an immediate future thing but you should totally crash our newly-dead friend's funeral. You can animate the graveyard corpses in preparation, one or two of his old adventuring/clergy buddies will probably come to pay respects, you get some notoriety and good souls it'll be great.
>>
No. 779520 ID: 094652

And now, find a nice, rich place to hide all the bodies. Implicate the nobles with murdering civilians for sport. That should be a good start.

Inspire a revolution, then hit the nobles for their souls while you take snacks from dying commoners. Pull this off, and you could even become empress of the country you threw into chaos.
>>
No. 779742 ID: bec5e8
File 148715660354.png - (61.04KB , 800x600 , 090-boardinghouse.png )
779742

>So, did you found out who are the richest? Did you catch any rumor about noteworthy locals? What about wise people, like mages or alchemists selling their goods in town?
Like I said, all the shops were closed, and it's kind of hard to find out anything about specific people. I found some places that looked like they might have belonged to the richest people. I didn't hear any rumors because there was no one around to talk about them.

>If we could locate targets and stalk them our power progress could be optimized without wasting time with mass killings of worthless people. Don't get me wrong, mass killing is great and all, but will call much more attention than a few assassinations, so it's probable best to do when you are ready to leave.
Actually, the best way is to bring the powerful people to you. Why do you think dungeons exist for adventurers to explore? The entire point of them is to get people to try and delve them to kill you or get treasure or whatever, and then the weaker ones get killed off by traps or henchmen, and you fight the strongest to gain their souls. That's the idea, anyway; they're prohibitively expensive to set up and maintain so you really only see people who are well-off and don't need to travel much making them, like necromancers. If you know a necromancer, get them a dungeon. Necromancers love dungeons.

Anyway, for my purposes, I actually benefit from a demonhunt up to a certain point. I don't want to get in over my head, and it's best if they don't know what they're looking for exactly, but stirring up powerful and courageous people to come looking for me is a good idea.

>For that, I think the seat of power idea should still work-even if the person in charge isn't suitible, I'm willing to bet there's gonna be some prime souls around there that should be good for increasing our abilities.
What, now you want me to straight-up take over the town? I don't think that's a good idea. I really don't feel powerful enough yet to directly challenge the rulers of this place. I don't even actually know where I am. I'd really like to have more options, both in terms of my abilities and places I want to subjugate, before I go for this.

>Is their any way for you to get stronger other then consuming souls?
No. Beings of magic like me derive all of our power from the souls of the living. They're the only reason we exist in the first place. It's way too complicated for me to explain and even the mortals don't fully understand it, but the soul is the only thing that I can use to expand my abilities. We'd have to find a scholar on magic to explain the intricacies of it if you wanted to know more. Honestly, that might be a good idea in general because you lot have a lot of questions I'm not knowledgeable enough to answer. I only really know how my own stuff works.

>Plus if you can summon multiple skeletons at once
I can't, just one at a time.

>Does this town have a cemetery or a crypt?
Yeah, but bear in mind that even though I'm animating them magically, the skeletons themselves are mundane. If they're too jacked up the spell won't be able to keep them together. It's best to use fresh corpses from healthy people. Plus I'd have to dig them up.

>Can you program the skells with commands when you go for a nap? if you can, get them to lie down pretending to be normal piles of bones and only get aggressive to anyone that's close to discovering you.
Yes, but that creates a new problem of someone walking into their cellar to find it's suddenly full of piles of bones. I think it would be only marginally less alarming.

>Anyway it might not be an immediate future thing but you should totally crash our newly-dead friend's funeral. You can animate the graveyard corpses in preparation, one or two of his old adventuring/clergy buddies will probably come to pay respects, you get some notoriety and good souls it'll be great.
I just want to go on record as thinking this is a really bad, almost suicidal idea. Rooting around in a cemetary is one thing, but interfering in the burial of an accomplished clergyman is a whole different story. There's going to be all kinds of church members there. It's like staging an assault on the castle armory, why would you fight them in the place where they're all together and armed?

>And now, find a nice, rich place to hide all the bodies. Implicate the nobles with murdering civilians for sport. That should be a good start.
Wait, I thought I was supposed to be taking credit for this? You guys really need to make up your minds. I think I'm going to have a hard time implicating anybody without even knowing who they are or what they're like, so I'm just going to leave it like this.

>Pull this off, and you could even become empress of the country you threw into chaos.
I think this is just a pretty good goal in general, but it's going to be difficult to accomplish without even knowing where the capital is.

>You could visit one of those boarding houses. Pretend to be an average woman in desperate need of cheat lodging and work opportunities. That character should have no trouble in hearing gossip from the locals.
>So, for now we need to find ourselves the seat of power in this town and who's sitting in it.
Alright, I'll do this and take the staff.

[ Dionaea Impersonates a victim. ]

[ Dionaea's Feral Claws subside. ]
[ Dionaea's Feral Claws are now available. ]
>>
No. 779743 ID: bec5e8
File 148715661684.png - (23.96KB , 800x1000 , 091-inside.png )
779743

Pretty quiet in here, just some drunks staying up way too late and what looks like a guard. The lanterns sting a bit, but I'm okay. Just don't want to get into a fight in here.

[ Dionaea has the following abilities:

Feed: Dionaea can consume the soul of a victim and use it to grow in power. Dionaea must have physical contact with the victim when they die.
Shadowblend: Dionaea can turn invisible so long as the observer is not looking for anything out of the ordinary.
Permeable: Dionaea is a being of shadow, rather than flesh. Normal weaponry and attacks will sink into her harmlessly.
Impersonate: Dionaea can take the form of anyone whose soul she has consumed.
Feral Claws: Dionaea gains sharpened claws capable of injuring and maiming.
Spectral Senses: Dionaea can observe the traces of things beyond mortal senses.
Speed: Dionaea can move very quickly.
Animate Skeleton: Dionaea can animate the fragile skeleton of someone she has slain, causing it to climb out of its meaty shell and serve her.
Leap: Dionaea can jump high and far. ]
>>
No. 779744 ID: ba506f

well we should probably start with the bartender... and shit I don't think we have any money on us unless you grabbed some from one of the folks you killed. Just tell him you just get into town, would like some general information about it and where the hell it's at (if he ask just say you got lost), and ask if he knows anywhere we could find some work. No we're not going to actually work unless it somehow helps our goals but it will make it more believable that we're just some down on their luck nobody and blend in better.

As for what our goals should be. For now let's just find out where we are and what's pass this town should we feel the need to hit the road again. when we find somewhere to rest for the day we can think of some more long term plans before we pass out.
>>
No. 779746 ID: 57f342

I hope this robe is simple and unremarkable. If anyone ask you found the stick on your way to town.
The bartender is the best option to start, unless some drunk approach you trying to be friendly or flirtatiously. You need to evoke sympathy from those fools to get their help.
Remember: you are unremarkable but not useless, in desperate need for money but not desperate enough to do anything, yet. Stay in character.
Try to stay far from the guard but keep him in your field of vision.

p.s. I meant "cheap" not "cheat".
>>
No. 780700 ID: bec5e8
File 148743633044.png - (11.28KB , 800x600 , 092-bartender.png )
780700

>p.s. I meant "cheap" not "cheat".
No shit.

>well we should probably start with the bartender...
>The bartender is the best option to start
"Greetings, gnoll," the bartender says as I approach. "Rare that I see one of your kind around these parts. You've traveled far from your homeland."

"Uhh, yeah. Just looking for some work."

The man chuckles. "Trading one life of taking orders for another?"

"Not that it's any of your business, I'm just going where the winds take me. Now that they've settled, I'd like to know where I've landed. What can you tell me?"

"Well, traveler, your winds have pursued you to Kelorus. Welcome to our humble town. If it's work ye seek, the churches likely have many tasks to be done. Not to presume, but a gnoll like yourself may be interested in monster hunting work, and even in these quiet times the Faith has that in spades."

"And if I don't want to put my life at risk?"

"It's a beautiful autumn. I'm sure the farms have need of many strong hands like yours. Are ye well, gnoll? You look a bit sick."

I'm fine. The light just nips at my skin.
>>
No. 780712 ID: ba506f

>Are ye well, gnoll? You look a bit sick.
tell him you're fine, just a bit weary from all the walking and that your eyes just still adjusting from the dark outside. Some rest and you'll be fine.

Also Monster hunting... do monsters have souls? Because if so I bet it would be easier to find a strong monster then a strong human? If not then maybe we could do it just to learn how to use that pole and make some chump change to help us blend in a bit more while in disguise. Just something to think about.
>>
No. 780734 ID: d79f26

>>780712
or, we can go on a monster hunt with someone that is strong enough to take on a powerful monster then stab them in the back and eat them.
>>
No. 780742 ID: cdddb5

Sounds like we're going monster hunting. I was more for the extra farmhand but there's already enough fun stuff we could possibly do off the idea that I've changed my mind.
>>
No. 780758 ID: 57f342

What are you guys talking about? We can't take work from the churches if the clergy can detect our true nature. To participate in such expedition we would need to meet adventurers that are about to leave town in the middle of the night. We could inquire about such parties and the nature of the threats, but that doesn't seem like the most likely scenario.
Nevertheless, local heroes are exactly the kind of thing we are trying to learn more about. Let's hear what the bartender can tell us about those brave souls and the kind of enemies they face.
>>
No. 780879 ID: 398fe1

Maybe you can team up with another hunter, so you don't have to go to the church to find hunting missions. You can explain it away as not liking priests.
>>
No. 780974 ID: f10010

Just say you've had a headache and it's been keeping you in an irritable mood.

We don't need to say the headache is light, priests, and un-eaten souls.

Other monsters about are either potential allies or competition. You could go along with the hunting party, kill them when they're alone, and then take up a different disguise coming back (if we intend to). Might as well speculate what other possible entities there are around.
>>
No. 781596 ID: b8d5aa

how long can you keep up the guise of the people you kill? indefinitely?
>>
No. 781659 ID: bec5e8
File 148765624622.png - (17.67KB , 800x700 , 093-lamp.png )
781659

>tell him you're fine, just a bit weary from all the walking and that your eyes just still adjusting from the dark outside. Some rest and you'll be fine.
"All's well, I've simply grown accustomed to the night. My eyes need time to adjust."

"I see."

>Also Monster hunting... do monsters have souls? Because if so I bet it would be easier to find a strong monster then a strong human?
Uhhh... it depends on the monster. I'm guessing this guy is talking about hunting magical constructs, like myself. Those do not have souls. Only normal, mundane animals that reproduce have souls, and they're usually pathetic wispy things that don't do anybody any good. I hope you don't expect something that can't even grasp language to have a soul on par with even the lamest human being.

That said, beasts that are big and smart might be worth hunting. Some of them can even cast spells. They're quite rare, though, and usually live in secluded areas, because mortals love to exterminate them. When it comes right down to it, mortals really only know how to do two things: trade, and murder.

>If not then maybe we could do it just to learn how to use that pole and make some chump change to help us blend in a bit more while in disguise. Just something to think about.
>or, we can go on a monster hunt with someone that is strong enough to take on a powerful monster then stab them in the back and eat them.
>Sounds like we're going monster hunting. I was more for the extra farmhand but there's already enough fun stuff we could possibly do off the idea that I've changed my mind.
Uhhh, what the fuck? I think I see some flaws in this plan. And secondly, weren't we explicitly not going to actually do any work? I thought we were just here for information.

>What are you guys talking about? We can't take work from the churches if the clergy can detect our true nature. To participate in such expedition we would need to meet adventurers that are about to leave town in the middle of the night. We could inquire about such parties and the nature of the threats, but that doesn't seem like the most likely scenario.
This one has his head on straight. You lot need to think things through more.

>Maybe you can team up with another hunter, so you don't have to go to the church to find hunting missions. You can explain it away as not liking priests.
I mean, where would I find one if not at the place where they go to find hunting missions?

>how long can you keep up the guise of the people you kill? indefinitely?
Good question! The answer is yes, indefinitely, though I couldn't maintain it if I were going to use any other power or if I got hurt. It sorta takes all my concentration, and it's not foolproof. If someone touched me they'd know it's not fur they're feeling.

>Nevertheless, local heroes are exactly the kind of thing we are trying to learn more about. Let's hear what the bartender can tell us about those brave souls and the kind of enemies they face.
"If I were to help hunt these monsters, would I be in good company? I'm in no hurry to die alone in the woods. What kind of brave souls could I expect to aid me?"

"We of Kelorus are a simple folk. Hunting monsters is no life for a man, not to impugn ye. It's rare that this town sees a boy grow up not to follow his father's footsteps. What heroes we have usually come by the road, and leave when they seek greener pastures. More monsters than champions lurk this part of the isles, I assure ye, so there's plenty of work to be done if ye've got the courage."

"Well, what would I be up against?"

"Don't make it my business to know, lass. Ask that sort of thing at the church. They're the ones that hand out the bounties."

Hnnngh, the light crawls on my flesh like a thousand angry beetles. Gotta keep my composure... I can take it.

"Are ye sure ye're all right, gnoll? Ye twitch like a daftie."
>>
No. 781663 ID: d4c7fb

Dizzy. Headaches. Want to kill something and go to bed.

No drink for me, thank you. Wake me up when it's time to murder party.
>>
No. 781665 ID: 57f342

I wasn't expecting a simple lantern to have so much effect.
If you can't avoid looking ill maybe it's best to leave. Say you may actually be a little sick and excuse yourself with the promise you will return when you can afford a room.
>>
No. 781695 ID: 91ee5f

>>781659
Looks like it's time to move your impersonated fat gnoll ass out the door before the lanterns mess you up some more!

Looks like if you ever want to be indoors, you need to be stronger to withstand some lanterns. It's not that you're weak, you just didn't realize how many lanterns would be in here. That is, assuming the number of light sources makes any difference.
>>
No. 781720 ID: 1226ae

>>781659
"Hung over."

Also, if a lamp does this to you you are kind of fucked if some dipshit brings a torch along to a fight. Either way, make your excuses and depart for 'the church' as soon as you can, you are not yet powerful enough to maintain a guise under these conditions without developing distracting migraines and feeling like a thousand flesh eating beetles made of fire are eating you alive.
>>
No. 781753 ID: ba506f

>And secondly, weren't we explicitly not going to actually do any work? I thought we were just here for information.
just see what is and isn't a good idea. Not saying you should go out and do it right this second

>Hnnngh, the light crawls on my flesh like a thousand angry beetles
Damn, I'd hate to see what the sun would do to you. Anyways thank bartender for the info and say you're going to see about getting a job. Then get the fuck out of here before the light gets any worse. No we're not actually going to find a job we're just using that as an excuse to leave without raise to much suspicion.
>>
No. 781903 ID: 398fe1

Heyyyy, we got some good info here. Skilled hunters can be seen going in and out of the church. So if we set up near the church and watch the entrance, we can find powerful people to ambush and kill for their strong souls.

Might want to start ambushing them outside of town, though. If you keep killing inside town people will search for you in town. Unless you want to start sleeping outside of town, and just keep sneaking in every night? I'm not sure what's the better idea. If you make your kills in town, they'll put more guards on the street. If you make your kills in the wild, you'll risk getting caught sneaking past the gates every night. How easy was it to sneak in? If it was really easy, then you should kill hunters by following them and killing them on the road.

I agree with the excuse of leaving to look for work.
>>
No. 781919 ID: b8d5aa

are humans 'into' gnolls?

pose as a streetwalker and catch a soul, as well as some money.
>>
No. 783962 ID: bec5e8
File 148841884850.png - (31.04KB , 800x700 , 094-shedding.png )
783962

>I wasn't expecting a simple lantern to have so much effect.
>Looks like if you ever want to be indoors, you need to be stronger to withstand some lanterns. It's not that you're weak, you just didn't realize how many lanterns would be in here. That is, assuming the number of light sources makes any difference.
>Also, if a lamp does this to you you are kind of fucked if some dipshit brings a torch along to a fight.
>Damn, I'd hate to see what the sun would do to you.
Seriously? Okay, think of it like this: Imagine getting a hot drink splashed on you. That hurts, right? It's going to be uncomfortable until you get it off you, but aside from maybe being temporarily disoriented, you can shrug it off and deal with the situation.

Now imagine taking a fucking bath in a tub full of that drink. Dunk your whole body in it, and just sit there immersed for a while. That's an entirely new level of pain, right? Like, searing agony, get me out of here, it's in my eyes, I can't breathe without taking lungfuls of it. Considering what that feels like, I think I'm doing pretty fucking well.

You want to know what the sun would be like? Imagine that but instead of being a hot drink, it's bubbling lava. The flesh melts off your bones and existence boils to a single concentrated point of pure, unimaginable pain before you're mercifully disintegrated and freed from the mortal coil. Except it doesn't actually injure me, so that never happens. It just keeps hurting until I get into the shade.

You just don't get it. Torches, lanterns, those are one thing. This is a well-lit room. I have been standing in it for several minutes. The light permeates every inch of me. I am being boiled alive.

>No drink for me, thank you.
Are you under the impression that if you approach a bartender you are legally obligated to purchase a drink? Do you think the guard over there will bodyslam me to the ground if I dare excuse myself from a conversation with the tavern staff without specifying that I'm not currently planning on purchasing a beverage? I think he'll get the picture.

>How easy was it to sneak in?
What kind of question is that? I snuck in just two days ago, weren't you paying attention?

>are humans 'into' gnolls?
Technically, gnolls are humans. Humans like to claim racial superiority and come up with a bunch of different names for different races, but the term "human" applies equally well to all of them and they're all descended from the same ancestors. The other races' languages don't have these weird supremacist concepts baked into their terminology, but they also claim that this language was handed down to them by their God and have this bizarre religious thing about speaking it correctly, so...

Anyway, what you're basically asking is "are humans 'into' humans?" And the answer is, it depends on the human.

>pose as a streetwalker and catch a soul, as well as some money.
Go fuck yourself.

>If you can't avoid looking ill maybe it's best to leave.
>Looks like it's time to move your impersonated fat gnoll ass out the door before the lanterns mess you up some more!
>Either way, make your excuses and depart for 'the church' as soon as you can
>Then get the fuck out of here before the light gets any worse.
Hmph, I can take it, but fine...

Also, I'm offended vicariously for this poor woman I murdered. She's not fat, she's actually pretty well-muscled. She's just physically large.

"Maybe you're right, I do feel a bit ill. I'd best seek out a physician. Perhaps the church can offer me some aid, and may be I'll inquire into a job there when I'm better. Thank you for the advice."

The bartender nods. "Aye, good luck to ye. And if it's catching, ye stay off the streets, ye hear?" he calls after me as I stumble out the door.

Aaaaaahhh! It's like being doused in warm water the minute I step outside. The relief is so intense I can't stay on my feet.
>>
No. 783966 ID: ba506f

>The relief is so intense I can't stay on my feet.
it also looks like you can't hold your gnoll form anymore either. I say grab your gear (unless you want to walk around naked whenever you transform) and get off the streets before someone sees you.

Also after talking to that guy I'm starting to think their's not much left for us to do in this town. We're not strong enough to storm the barracks or churches (yet), their's no real place for adventures to met up that we could stalk, and the only places that we could find where adventures would gather are at the churches which kinda nullifies any plan to join a party to backstab them later since that's a whole load of problems.

So unless you have any other ideas I say we could probably dick around town for the night causing some trouble and testing out your new powers and to stir things up a little then leave tomorrow night and hope you've caused enough noise to get a small adventuring party after you so you can hunt them down and eat them to get stronger.
>>
No. 783969 ID: 3abd97

>>783962
Get the robe and get out sight before someone sees you there.
>>
No. 783976 ID: 91ee5f

>>783962
>Also, I'm offended vicariously for this poor woman I murdered. She's not fat, she's actually pretty well-muscled. She's just physically large.
So? We're evil and you're evil. Why should either of us care if the appearance of a lady's body that you murdered is offended?

Besides, that's a good enough excuse for most mortals to start name calling. And if you do that to the right person, they'll chase after you to try and beat you up. Which is when you lead them somewhere they'll be alone and kill them!

But if you want more souls, then turn on your Spectral Senses and go towards your next meal. Maybe a magic user? The more of those guys we get rid of, the less likely one of them will catch you off guard.
>>
No. 783979 ID: 398fe1

>>783962
>I snuck in just two days ago, weren't you paying attention?
I didn't see every detail of it. Like, did you have to wait for someone at the top of the wall to pass by before you jumped over it?

I hope nobody saw you unmorph and fall over. Or maybe I do, then you could kill somebody. Shall we continue with my plan and start a stakeout at the church? Maybe kill some random civilian and raise a skeleton for insurance?
>>
No. 784084 ID: 57f342

Could the effects of indoor illumination be mitigate by a thick hood?
If you want to take full advantage of your Impersonate ability you need to carry a proper attire and some coins. If possible you should find a bag you are comfortable carrying.

The information regarding adventures were indeed useful. This mean you won't get many opportunities in this town, in fact you should have a better luck finding this kind of prey on the road.
Unfortunately you didn't learn much about the rich, but if you are feeling bold you could invade an opulent house as a last gig before leaving this place.
>>
No. 784098 ID: d79f26

yes, a nice thick cloak to shade your body, a mobile source of shadow.
>>
No. 793556 ID: 3c0d31
File 149137944919.png - (8.90KB , 800x700 , 095-dissipate.png )
793556

>So? We're evil and you're evil. Why should either of us care if the appearance of a lady's body that you murdered is offended?
What are you, a dumbass? I said I was offended, vicariously. Do you know what "vicariously" means?

>I didn't see every detail of it. Like, did you have to wait for someone at the top of the wall to pass by before you jumped over it?
...What? It was waist-high. Stop embarrassing yourself.

>Could the effects of indoor illumination be mitigate by a thick hood?
>yes, a nice thick cloak to shade your body, a mobile source of shadow.
Hmmm... I mean, it'd probably help, but honestly, just wearing a cloak is not going to allow me to walk around in direct sunlight, any more than standing under a tree would. The afternoon shade is not the same thing as the comforting embrace of darkness. Plus, if anyone took the hood off me I'd be royally fucked.

>If you want to take full advantage of your Impersonate ability you need to carry a proper attire and some coins. If possible you should find a bag you are comfortable carrying.
Well, I'd need money for that stuff! And the best way to get money is to sell things. Problem is, the shops are only open during the day... at least, most of them. I guess the ones that are more likely to trade with someone who looks like me are open at night, but they're harder to find. You usually need connections I don't have.
>>
No. 793557 ID: 3c0d31
File 149137947197.png - (6.14KB , 800x700 , 096-sneakygrab.png )
793557

>Get the robe and get out sight before someone sees you there.
The staff also got caught in the doorway and slipped off me on my rush outside. I'll just stick my hand in real quick and pull it out.

Ouch.

>So unless you have any other ideas I say we could probably dick around town for the night causing some trouble and testing out your new powers and to stir things up a little then leave tomorrow night and hope you've caused enough noise to get a small adventuring party after you so you can hunt them down and eat them to get stronger.
Maybe. Any adventuring party worth its salt will probably find out about all the murders tomorrow and start investigating.

>Maybe kill some random civilian and raise a skeleton for insurance?
I'd have to go find one, there's not a lot of people out and about right now.

>Unfortunately you didn't learn much about the rich, but if you are feeling bold you could invade an opulent house as a last gig before leaving this place.
>But if you want more souls, then turn on your Spectral Senses and go towards your next meal. Maybe a magic user? The more of those guys we get rid of, the less likely one of them will catch you off guard.
I've probably got enough night left to do one big thing before I have to find somewhere to bed down. Should I do one of these, or something else? Bear in mind that Spectral Senses makes me easier to find as well.
>>
No. 793574 ID: ba506f

might as well look around with Spectral Senses and at least let it point you in the right direction. I mean unless you want to run around all night hoping to bump into someone worth eating? Besides even if they do sense you it just means your meal will be coming to you... or it will run away but you look like a lady who enjoys a good hunt.
>>
No. 793583 ID: 91ee5f

>>793556
>Do you know what "vicariously" means?
What do I look like to you, a living dictionary? Of course I don't know what every big word you say means! Otherwise, I wouldn't have said what I said!

>>>793557
Yeah, just turn on your Spectral Senses long enough to point you in the right direction, then turn it off and go in that direction. Might have to do it a few times before you can see your prey and then track them by sight.
>>
No. 793584 ID: 91ee5f

>>793583
And honestly, after fighting the priest, I'm hoping for an easy catch. But if whoever you're hunting decides to put up a fight, then I ain't gonna complain.
>>
No. 793606 ID: 48237d

Clothes and travel bags aren't contraband, there is no need to buy them from shady merchants since we can steal this kind of stuff from anyone. That is why I want you to invade a house, those basic commodities needed to blend are plentiful among the possessions of anyone who isn't in poverty.
>>
No. 793623 ID: 398fe1

>>793556
>it was waist-high
This thing? >>564995 Didn't look waist-high to me...
I thought that was a town wall, not the demon-warded wall. Wait, is there no town wall? No guard towers? I thought they'd have better defenses against mundane threats like brigands or bears. Well, if that's the case then it'll be easy to get in and out of town.

>>793556
>need money for a bag and such
Steal it!
>>
No. 796213 ID: 3c0d31
File 149232828478.png - (17.51KB , 800x700 , 097-lurk.png )
796213

>What do I look like to you, a living dictionary? Of course I don't know what every big word you say means! Otherwise, I wouldn't have said what I said!
All right, all right. I guess I don't blame you for not being well-acquainted with God's Language.

>Clothes and travel bags aren't contraband, there is no need to buy them from shady merchants since we can steal this kind of stuff from anyone. That is why I want you to invade a house, those basic commodities needed to blend are plentiful among the possessions of anyone who isn't in poverty.
>Steal it!
Yeah, sure, we can steal it, but that's only a solution for so long. Everybody's gonna have a basic wardrobe if I break in somewhere, but what if I want fancy clothes for whatever reason? What if I want magic items? What if I want more esoteric shit, like a map? It's a waste of my time to go on a string of break-ins looking for them when I could just find a night market that's willing to sell to Glowy-Eyes Demon Lady.

>Didn't look waist-high to me...
OK, so it was more shoulder-height. Point being it's a brick wall, there was no room for people to stand on the top of it. There were two guards by an opening, and I slipped past them when they weren't looking. That's it.

>I thought that was a town wall, not the demon-warded wall. Wait, is there no town wall? No guard towers? I thought they'd have better defenses against mundane threats like brigands or bears. Well, if that's the case then it'll be easy to get in and out of town.
Oh. No. It's just the one wall around the town. The only reason I was able to climb it was that the ward had fallen off. This town is decently-sized, but I'm not getting the impression it's especially wealthy or anything. Their main export is probably cabbages or something lame like that.

I'm guessing they have guards patrolling the walls, who probably have some kind of instrument or noise-making device, maybe even a magic item to alert the town if they're under attack. All the guards I've seen on the wall have magic or cold iron weapons or are spellcasters themselves. Since I can only go through those guarded openings unless the ward is down, it's actually pretty difficult.

>might as well look around with Spectral Senses and at least let it point you in the right direction. I mean unless you want to run around all night hoping to bump into someone worth eating? Besides even if they do sense you it just means your meal will be coming to you... or it will run away but you look like a lady who enjoys a good hunt.
>Yeah, just turn on your Spectral Senses long enough to point you in the right direction, then turn it off and go in that direction. Might have to do it a few times before you can see your prey and then track them by sight.

Alright then. I'll flip it on.

[ Dionaea activates Spectral Senses. ]

Let me just breathe in the air... hmmmmm...

I'm sensing a fair amount of magic all around, but that's not surprising with all the churches. Wish I had a better idea of exactly what I was looking for...

Lots of life... definitely a couple hundred people here. I'd say around five hundred. Obviously, most of them are crowded into the big complexes at the center of town, near the market district. I haven't really spent a lot of time there, mostly because it's closest to the guard barracks and I had to dodge a lot of patrolling guards to scope it out.

Where should I go tonight... I could hit up any house for the basic supplies. Why not get them somewhere in a better part of town? I'd like to have nice clothes, if possible. Here, I see one that seems to have a lot of magic in it way off there. Might be a good balance between risk and reward. One useful thing about my Spectral Senses is that if you're wealthy enough to be a big threat to me, you probably have all your stuff shielded from prying eyes, so at this stage I don't have to worry too much about it leading me into bad situations.
>>
No. 796221 ID: 48237d

Right now you have next to nothing. Doesn't matter the quality of the items you get to steal, they will be an improvement by default. When you can afford something more fanciful we will worry about finding this shady merchant.
Be honest, you are disagreeing just to for the sake of the conflict.

Anyway, concentrate on the guy on the roof behind you. He is looking at your direction, is caring a spear and is using a scale armor. Get ready to dodge an attack from above.
>>
No. 796222 ID: 398fe1

>>796213
I think you're about to get ambushed from above, by someone who's rich enough to have their stuff warded from your spectral senses.

Dodge! Then size up your enemy, see if they're out of your league or not.
>>
No. 796224 ID: 3c0d31
File 149233145697.png - (15.72KB , 800x700 , 098-gone.png )
796224

>Right now you have next to nothing. Doesn't matter the quality of the items you get to steal, they will be an improvement by default. When you can afford something more fanciful we will worry about finding this shady merchant.
Then you shouldn't have a problem getting something nice.

>Be honest, you are disagreeing just to for the sake of the conflict.
Fuck you! I'm trying to pitch ideas here. You guys are giving me nothing, so I'm stepping up to the plate, and now you're just criticizing everything I come up with.

>Anyway, concentrate on the guy on the roof behind you. He is looking at your direction, is caring a spear and is using a scale armor.
>I think you're about to get ambushed from above, by someone who's rich enough to have their stuff warded from your spectral senses.
Eh? There's nothing there.

Come on, guys, I don't have time for fucking around. We need to get shit done tonight. Take this seriously. Are we gonna go with my idea, or do you have something better? If not, I'm gonna head up the hill away from the center of town where the nice houses are.
>>
No. 796226 ID: 48237d

I'm not criticizing your idea. I'm saying we will cross that bridge when we get a chance.
Sometimes you are like an abusive girlfriend...

Your stalker is very real.
I would love to see you invert the roles of this hunt but if you can't locate him let's not risk it. Run through closed paths to either force him to either reveal himself in the chase or lose you from his sight.
>>
No. 796227 ID: 398fe1

>>796224
Yeah your idea is fine.
>>
No. 796229 ID: ba506f

>>796224
we're not fucking with you, seems you're being hunted... or at least stalked
>>
No. 796234 ID: d79f26

>>796224
cute, vanishing act to sow confusion and make you doubt your senses.
>>
No. 796237 ID: 2a185d

Your idea is fine and we'll continue keeping an eye out for this stalker of yours.
>>
No. 796312 ID: cdddb5

Okay, you just like...Pinged spectral senses right? Not leave on leave off timed duration? I ask because well, dude who can move very fast/teleport was just on the roof. I dunno what's his deal but I'm betting at least enough magic to hurt you is involved.
Sooo me personally? I'm thinking either we find another victim or we steal some loot. Leaning towards the victim idea myself, if only because I don't much trust the notion of going for loot...
>>
No. 831208 ID: 6dda1b
File 150572095211.png - (6.59KB , 800x700 , 099-sure.png )
831208

[ Dionaea turns off Spectral Senses. ]

>I'm not criticizing your idea. I'm saying we will cross that bridge when we get a chance.
>Yeah your idea is fine.
>Your idea is fine
Yeah, sure, now that's what you say...

>Sometimes you are like an abusive girlfriend...
I don't understand what that means.

>Okay, you just like...Pinged spectral senses right? Not leave on leave off timed duration?
I activated it, then looked around. I don't know what you expect me to do, flip it on and off really fast? Like holding your hand in front of your face, and then moving it away for a split second? How are you supposed to see anything useful like that?

>Your stalker is very real.
>we're not fucking with you, seems you're being hunted... or at least stalked
>cute, vanishing act to sow confusion and make you doubt your senses.
>we'll continue keeping an eye out for this stalker of yours.
>dude who can move very fast/teleport was just on the roof.
Yeah, yeah, tell it to the judge.
>>
No. 831210 ID: 6dda1b
File 150572098155.png - (15.48KB , 800x700 , 100-stealth.png )
831210

OK, this is the place. It seems pretty quiet, haven't seen anyone walking around. Even guards. Which probably means these houses have their own guards, because otherwise there's no way rich people would allow there to be less than ten guards on every corner. They're all fenced or walled in, too, which is fine by me. Anyone I might fight here is at least likely to have a soul worth taking, too.

The yard's empty. Just some stone paths and a fountain. Should I hide and wait for someone to come by, try and find a way into the house, or do a loop around the perimeter? If I try to break in, how should I do that?
>>
No. 831212 ID: c31aac

Use your womanly wiles to seduce the back door open, then romance this homestead's juicy consumable occupants
>>
No. 831213 ID: 094652

Take out the guards one by one, but focus on finding secret rooms in the mansion. If you can find a skeleton closet, one that would be VERY inconvenient for the owners if local law enforcement found out, make some bloody markings and practically point the captain at the secret room. This will coerce the owners into dealing with you themselves, instead of doing the smart thing and calling the cops.
>>
No. 831217 ID: 13fded

Shadowblend your way around the house. The first round is to familiarize yourself with the terrain and estimate the number of guards and their positions. After that focus on the weakest isolated, clean the of nuisances for the actual battle and get skeletons readily available to be raised.
After that, if you can't find something useful in the corpses like a key, you can force your way in the house trough and hard to reach window. The competent opponents will find you at some point, so let's see how far can you go before they do.
>>
No. 831218 ID: ba506f

scout around and get a lay of the land and an idea on how many people you'll be dealing with. Then we can decide if we want to take them out one by one and let the survivors panic as they slowly but surely relies they're being hunted or just say f*** it and go in loud and turn this place into a blood bath.

Also as for sneaking in, find a window or something that isn't locked so you're less likely to be noticed before you want to be.
>>
No. 831221 ID: d69df4

I think we should make a racket, draw a few guards to us. If there's too many we can follow one until he's alone, then jump him.
Or if the goonsquad doesn't have magic weapons we just murder the lot and get moving again.
>>
No. 831249 ID: 91ee5f

You've still got that old guy's magic stick, right? That'll help in making noise.

Or if you run into a big group of guards, you can hit one and sent him flying into one or more guards behind him and knock them all down. That'll give you an opening to pounce on them and kill them with your claws and/or teeth before they can stand back up.

Hey, you said you need to be touching them to get their soul when they die, right? Does that mean that you've gotta kill them with your claws/teeth or can you kill them with anything as long as you're somehow touching them with a part of your body when they die?
>>
No. 831305 ID: 6dda1b
File 150576702853.png - (9.94KB , 800x700 , 101-alert.png )
831305

>Use your womanly wiles to seduce the back door open, then romance this homestead's juicy consumable occupants
Hmmmm... ordinarily I would try this just because it amuses me, but this guy's guards might have magic weapons. He's probably wealthy enough. I'd say it's a safe bet all of them at least have cold iron. The big question is, was all that magic I sensed coming off of loot inside this place, or weapons they're equipped with?

>focus on finding secret rooms in the mansion. If you can find a skeleton closet, one that would be VERY inconvenient for the owners if local law enforcement found out, make some bloody markings and practically point the captain at the secret room. This will coerce the owners into dealing with you themselves, instead of doing the smart thing and calling the cops.
Not a bad plan, since criminals can't call the guards, but it's really specific. I doubt I'll find anything like that in here.

>Shadowblend your way around the house. The first round is to familiarize yourself with the terrain and estimate the number of guards and their positions. After that focus on the weakest isolated, clean the of nuisances for the actual battle and get skeletons readily available to be raised.
Scouting is always a good idea, but I see a big problem with that plan, chief: Shadowblend only works if they aren't looking for something out of the ordinary. A guard on patrol is the quintessential example of someone keeping an eye out. If someone's paying attention, they'll see right through my Shadowblend. I feel like I've gone over this before.

I'm pretty good at sneaking, obviously, but I don't have a lot of tools at my disposal for it besides impersonating people. If you want me to be able to scout out any situation before I enter it, you'll need to invest more in my subterfuge abilities.

>I think we should make a racket, draw a few guards to us. If there's too many we can follow one until he's alone, then jump him.
That's a pretty risky play. If I make some noise, they'll be actively searching for an intruder. If they find me, I'm outnumbered and relying on them not being properly equipped. I've never dealt with more than a one-on-one before; even when I was fighting that pair of adventurers, I took one of them out before she could really do anything. I'm not confident I could fight off multiple guards if they had the equipment to hurt me. I'd have to get lucky or make some very decisive strikes.

>You've still got that old guy's magic stick, right? That'll help in making noise.
Yeah, I stashed it outside. It's kind of a pain to climb around with. I can grab it if you want.

>Hey, you said you need to be touching them to get their soul when they die, right? Does that mean that you've gotta kill them with your claws/teeth or can you kill them with anything as long as you're somehow touching them with a part of your body when they die?
Good question! I like you.

I only need to be touching them when they die. I don't even need to be the one who killed them. I just intercept the soul when it comes unbound from its mortal body. It leaves quickly, and then I can't catch it. It also has to be actual contact; I can't absorb souls through clothing either they or I am wearing. The teeth and claws are convenient that way, because I can slice through their clothes and ensure direct contact.

All right, I've voiced my opinion on the plans you've come up with. Which one should I commit to? Scout for a window and sneak my way in? Pick off the guards and try and get the keys? Create a distraction to lure the guards in and ambush them?

[ Dionaea has the following abilities:

Feed: Dionaea can consume the soul of a victim and use it to grow in power. Dionaea must have physical contact with the victim when they die.
Shadowblend: Dionaea can turn invisible so long as the observer is not looking for anything out of the ordinary.
Permeable: Dionaea is a being of shadow, rather than flesh. Normal weaponry and attacks will sink into her harmlessly.
Impersonate: Dionaea can take the form of anyone whose soul she has consumed.
Feral Claws: Dionaea gains sharpened claws capable of injuring and maiming.
Spectral Senses: Dionaea can observe the traces of things beyond mortal senses.
Speed: Dionaea can move very quickly.
Animate Skeleton: Dionaea can animate the fragile skeleton of someone she has slain, causing it to climb out of its meaty shell and serve her.
Leap: Dionaea can jump high and far. ]
>>
No. 831325 ID: f10010

Can you leap onto the roof and look for something akin to a chimney? Anyone wealthy enough may just as well have a fireplace in the master bedroom.

If the season is warm enough, there probably wouldn't be need for a large fire, either.
>>
No. 831326 ID: 91ee5f

>>831305
>Yeah, I stashed it outside. It's kind of a pain to climb around with. I can grab it if you want.
Go ahead and grab it.

If stealth fails, then it'll be nice to have it.

And if you run into any guards wearing heavy armor, then you can knock them over or send them flying into other guards. Or even break the armor so that your claws/teeth can get to the meaty bits!

>What do?
Let's pick off the guards and try and get the keys. Picking them off will give us less to deal with when we get caught.

All you really need is to find one guard all alone, kill them, drag their body somewhere hidden, and Impersonate them. It's doubtful the first guard is gonna have any keys, so you may have to kill a few of them before you find one with a key.

Another way this is helpful is every guard we kill, we can dig around in their pockets for anything useful! Well, besides the obvious keys we're looking for.

>Good question! I like you.
And I like you, Dionaea Felaedri!
>>
No. 831328 ID: d58cf8

No stick. Given the touch rule, I think we shouldn't take it, especially since magic stuff can be sensed easier than we can be, relatively speaking and by the sounds of it we're not going to be more or less reliant on sneaking around.
I like killing a gaurd, using a impersonate to take his appearance and then stealing his uniform...then? We find and kill someone else, and then we write out 'no one is safe' before leaving.
Now, here's where things potentially gets fun. We scout out the gaurd postings of other locations if we have any more time tonight, and then see who gets more guards and who does not.
If anyone does not increase security, or is slower about it, we avoid them, that's someone doing something sneaky. If someone clearly has put their resources into more gaurds, that's our mark, we strike that guy. Then we move, from one house to another, until...We make someone, maybe one of the sneaker houses we noted from before an offer/transition to starting a cult, perhaps?
>>
No. 831329 ID: 91ee5f

>>831328
>Kill a few guards, write a bloody message, and then leave.
Why?

We're already here at this house, so we might as well go in and let Dionaea Feed on whoever owns the place.
>>
No. 831337 ID: 3ce125

I think you should look for a window. Optimally, the master bedroom.
>>
No. 831678 ID: 830fb7

After feeding on most of the nobles of this town we could threaten the rest of them personally and get them to make us a totem. Using their fear of death against them to get them to do your bidding will come in handy for uses in the future, plus you get to consume all the people you want in the mean time to instil fear.
>>
No. 831684 ID: 6dda1b
File 150589133213.png - (49.06KB , 800x700 , 102-landscape.png )
831684

>Can you leap onto the roof and look for something akin to a chimney? Anyone wealthy enough may just as well have a fireplace in the master bedroom.
Hmmm, not a bad idea. Anyone inside would probably hear me clambering around up there, though.

>If the season is warm enough, there probably wouldn't be need for a large fire, either.
It's autumn. It always is, when I come back. The people feel winter's breath on the back of their neck, and they fear the darkness.

>And I like you, Dionaea Felaedri!
Don't push it.

>I like killing a gaurd, using a impersonate to take his appearance and then stealing his uniform...then? We find and kill someone else, and then we write out 'no one is safe' before leaving.
>Why? We're already here at this house, so we might as well go in and let Dionaea Feed on whoever owns the place.
I agree, that sounds like a huge waste of time. I thought we were here to kill someone important and steal some equipment. We were looking for "basic commodities."

>I think you should look for a window.
Fuck's sake, you guys can't agree on anything. I ask for what to do and you all say different things! I'm just gonna climb this wall and you can decide whether I climb around on the roof or go in the window.
>>
No. 831687 ID: b8d5aa

go for the window. a chimney would likely take you down to a lower floor and the stuff you want will probably be up higher. plus clambering about on the roof would be noisy and there's no guarantee you'd find anything up there anyway.
>>
No. 831689 ID: 91ee5f

>>831684
>Don't push it.
Awww..... )-':>

>Fuck's sake, you guys can't agree on anything. I ask for what to do and you all say different things!
Well what'd you expect? You asked for options and we gave you options!

But as always, you're right. It is very annoying on how we can't agree on anything!

>I'm just gonna climb this wall and you can decide whether I climb around on the roof or go in the window.
Climb in that window right above you, it's closer than the roof.

And I'm just as impatient as you! Let's mother fucking start hunting and looting already, damnit!
>>
No. 831690 ID: 3ce125

I still say window.
>>
No. 831699 ID: 094652

Open the window, then climb to the roof and see how the guards react.
>>
No. 831701 ID: 13fded

Second floor window look like a good entry point.
>>
No. 831709 ID: f10010

Nah, listen. I think Dionaea could probably stand to have more reasons to go a certain way than 'Maybe kill and do harm to random things in the earliest convenience'.

We've probably got plenty of time to do this /right/ and we only get one opportunity to do this right.

Now, as you can see yourself, Dionaea, you're on the longer, main portion of the building. That's probably more servant or guard quarters, or for more utility. A dining hall or library. But!

If you look to your right, there's a taller round tower with a chimney right on the top. The sum of everything in this part you're scaling couldn't be as interesting as what might be up there.

Anyway, while you decide between going with the majority or maybe... encouraging them gently to think a little more...

I wanted to ask, how large do the artifacts that you could use to return to the world need to be? Could it be something like a setting on a cane, or an amulet? Can you make them yourself, or does it require a devoted soul on this side to bring you back?
>>
No. 831715 ID: 13fded

>>831709
In my experience diner halls are on the first floor and towers are for labs or ateliers.
The main building have two floors and an attic. Unless it's internally divided in wings the servers quarters will be on the first floor close to the kitchen.
I imagine that by the side Dionaea is entering there are some utility rooms and the owners are closer to the front of the mansion on the same floor. If there are any server on this level they will be higher on the hierarchy than the cleaning or cooking staff.
Honestly I prefer to traverse the mansion from the inside to been expose on the roof.
>>
No. 896536 ID: 62e2e4
File 153382477026.png - (25.55KB , 800x700 , 103-clamber.png )
896536

>go for the window
>Climb in that window
>I still say window.
>Second floor window look like a good entry point.
Got it. I'll enter through the window.

>If you look to your right, there's a taller round tower with a chimney right on the top. The sum of everything in this part you're scaling couldn't be as interesting as what might be up there.
Sure, it's probably worth checking out. But I don't have to do it from outside.

>I wanted to ask, how large do the artifacts that you could use to return to the world need to be? Could it be something like a setting on a cane, or an amulet? Can you make them yourself, or does it require a devoted soul on this side to bring you back?
All right, well, just to refresh your memories. The artifacts you're referring to are objects that represent me, which I can use to make my way back into the world when I'm banished. Statues are popular because they can be very well-sculpted, which helps to preserve your power when you return, a statue of you is very unambiguously a symbol of you, and they keep for a very long time. Technically an artifact can be anything, but it has to be created for that specific purpose, and it has to very specifically represent you. The more widely-accepted, the better - the sooner and more powerful you will come back when you're banished. The downside is that any of your enemies who see it will know to smash it.

I don't have any trade skills, so I couldn't make stuff like that on my own. Just another reason why I need to establish some mortal contacts if I want to make a foothold here. The seedy underbelly of civilization is very important for a demon with ambitions. Especially since I'm starting to reach the point where just killing random schmucks, while fun, doesn't actually advance my goals significantly. The only artifacts I can make are the ones where you take a mundane object and store some of your power in it. But that means losing power until I come back and retrieve it. If I decide I don't want some of my powers, though, that's a good way to 'reset' myself, since when I get new power I can put it towards other abilities...
>>
No. 896537 ID: 62e2e4
File 153382479029.png - (39.00KB , 800x700 , 104-entering.png )
896537

Anyway, I'm inside the building now. This looks like some kinda bedroom, but it's empty. I checked in the closet and so on, there's nothing here but sheets and pillows and such. Any grand ideas about how to sneak through the house? What part of it should I head towards first?
>>
No. 896558 ID: 91ee5f

>>896537
>Any grand ideas about how to sneak through the house?
Very carefully.

But seriously, stick to the shadows and move as quietly as possible. Try to avoid any light sources, although if you can extinguish them without any risk of being seen, that would preferable.

If you run into any guards that are alone and/or sleeping on the job, take them out as quietly as possible and dispose of their bodies so no one finds them and raises an alarm before you get to your target.

>What part of it should I head towards first?
The master bedroom. That’s where you should find whoever owns this house.
>>
No. 896567 ID: fd0bee

Unless the imposing fortress like features this mansion have are just status symbols from a more dangerous time something tells me not all inhabitants will be helpless against you.
You should try to get a feeling for the layout of this place. Figure out where the guards patrol and where their blind spots are. You need some information to decide if it's better to sneak pass the security or ambush them one by one.
>>
No. 896591 ID: ad51b8

>I don't have any trade skills, so I couldn't make stuff like that on my own. Just another reason why I need to establish some mortal contacts if I want to make a foothold here. The seedy underbelly of civilization is very important for a demon with ambitions.
so when we get to a larger city we should start a gang and turn it into a cult over time or find someone in power who is corrupted as hell, offer our services to him, and get him depended on us to the point where he starts worshipping you believing he would fail without you and then try to lure other corrupt people of power and form a secret shadow government that rules everything from the shadows and worships you?

Eh, either way that's still a ways off as for now

>This looks like some kinda bedroom, but it's empty.
guest bedroom if I had to guess. Maybe a servants quarters.

>What part of it should I head towards first?
well we're here to eat the noble of the place, I'd think the master bedroom would be probably near the top of the building so I guess head up. Oh and if you see anything valuable like cash or jewelry feel free to swipe it. Could be useful to have if you go around again trying to pass yourself off as a mortal and would always be useful to bribe people to get them to do what you want when threats aren't enough or you need to use a softer approach.
>>
No. 896741 ID: 62e2e4
File 153398928133.png - (21.73KB , 800x700 , 105-layout.png )
896741

>The master bedroom. That’s where you should find whoever owns this house.
>You should try to get a feeling for the layout of this place.
All right, I've taken a look around. This place isn't as big as you might think. Most of the unlocked doors just have empty bedrooms like the one I came in through behind them. One of them has a bunch of piled furniture covered with a tarp, and some crates with random household crap in them. There's no guards walking around up here, which I guess makes sense because there isn't really anything worthwhile to steal. There's no servants, either. It's just quiet and empty. It's nice and dark, at least; all the candle sconces have been put out.
>>
No. 896742 ID: 62e2e4
File 153398930077.png - (24.97KB , 800x700 , 106-door.png )
896742

The only guard up here is the one standing in front of this door. He hasn't moved from in front of it since I first saw him. He just stands there rubbing the hilt of his sword and looking around. That's gotta be the master bedroom, right? There's no way he'd be standing there all night unless the owner of this place was in there.

If I wanna get in, I guess I'm going to have to figure out a way past him. I don't know how he's going to react to anything I do. If he made any noise he might wake the whole manor up.

[ Dionaea has the following abilities:

Feed: Dionaea can consume the soul of a victim and use it to grow in power. Dionaea must have physical contact with the victim when they die.
Shadowblend: Dionaea can turn invisible so long as the observer is not looking for anything out of the ordinary.
Permeable: Dionaea is a being of shadow, rather than flesh. Normal weaponry and attacks will sink into her harmlessly.
Impersonate: Dionaea can take the form of anyone whose soul she has consumed.
Feral Claws: Dionaea gains sharpened claws capable of injuring and maiming.
Spectral Senses: Dionaea can try to observe the traces of things beyond mortal senses.
Speed: Dionaea begins to move very quickly.
Animate Skeleton: Dionaea can animate the fragile skeleton of someone she has slain, causing it to climb out of its meaty shell and serve her.
Leap: Dionaea can choose to jump high and far. ]
>>
No. 896743 ID: 3674e7

>>896742
Shadow blend onto the roof sneak up behind them, then use your claws to pierce straight through their neck/vocal cords killing them while making them unable to alert others. Hopefully they shouldn't be on alert for shadow creatures due to the town supposedly being protected Against them and they wont expect someone to attack from the roof/wall because physical beings don't phase into shadows and walls (also who knows how long they have been standing there they could have let their guard down by now).
>>
No. 896744 ID: ad51b8

if you used your Spectral Senses would he be able to detect you? Can't remember. If not might not be a bad idea to see what kind a gear he has on him to see how much of a problem he could be if you got into a fight.

But yeah, as for a way around him. Think you could climb back out a widow and crawl along the outside of the building and enter the room from another window?
>>
No. 896754 ID: 91ee5f

>>896742
>The only guard up here is the one standing in front of this door. He hasn't moved from in front of it since I first saw him. He just stands there rubbing the hilt of his sword and looking around.
He either knows there’s something nearby or he’s just really nervous when he’s on the job.

He might be able to spot you while Shadowblend is active, since he’s looking for anything out of the ordinary. But then again, he might not see you, since he’s only looking for normal things and won’t be expecting a demon.

Eh, whatever, no risk no reward. Besides, you said you wanted a challenge, right? So even if he does spot you, just attack him and take him out.

I’m sure his sword is normal, but until proven otherwise, just assume it’s magical and try to avoid it if he attacks.

>>896743
Yeah, do this.

Shadowblend and climb onto the ceiling before you come around the corner. You’d be surprised at how often people don’t look up.
>>
No. 896766 ID: 62e2e4
File 153401347217.png - (30.37KB , 800x700 , 107-dispute.png )
896766

>Shadow blend onto the roof sneak up behind them
Uhhh, what? Do you want me to go back outside, or...?

>they wont expect someone to attack from the roof/wall because physical beings don't phase into shadows and walls
Um, yeah, and neither do I. I think you're a little confused as to what my Shadowblend does. It renders me completely invisible to anyone who isn't looking for anything out of the ordinary. It doesn't let me meld into shadows and travel around in them or something.

>But then again, he might not see you, since he’s only looking for normal things and won’t be expecting a demon.
That's not how it works. Shadowblend conceals me from people who are only looking for what they expect to be there. For instance, if you walked into that storage room to grab a chair or something, you wouldn't see me in there because you don't expect me to be in there. You just expect a bunch of stored furniture.

As I said before, a guard is the quintessential example of someone keeping an eye out. This guard doesn't know what he's looking for, like you would in my example. He's just got his eyes peeled for anything that doesn't fit. That means he can see right through my concealment. It also wouldn't work if they were searching for me specifically, just for future reference.

>if you used your Spectral Senses would he be able to detect you? Can't remember.
That depends on whether he can sense magic. Spectral Senses gives me away because it gives off a pretty strong magical signature. It's sort of a two-way street; you can sense traces of things pretty far away, but if they're properly attuned, they can sense you sensing them. I kind of doubt this guy would be able to detect it, buuut I'd have to point out that anyone who could would probably be alerted that I'm in this manor.

>Shadowblend and climb onto the ceiling before you come around the corner.
I appreciate your faith in me but I can't actually cling to walls and ceilings like a spider or something. I am far too heavy and don't have that kind of purchase.

>Think you could climb back out a widow and crawl along the outside of the building and enter the room from another window?
I mean, I don't know about "crawl along the outside," but I could come in through another window, yeah. I don't know if the room he's guarding has any windows, though.

>I’m sure his sword is normal, but until proven otherwise, just assume it’s magical and try to avoid it if he attacks.
I could also just rush him, but like I said, if he raises the alarm, it could make things more difficult for me. I don't doubt that I could take him, it's just that if he wakes up the whole house it would be troublesome.

So, what's it gonna be, then?
>>
No. 896770 ID: 91ee5f

>>896766
>Uhhh, what? Do you want me to go back outside, or...?
I think they meant the ceiling.

>Shadowblend won’t work on this guy.
>I appreciate your faith in me but I can't actually cling to walls and ceilings like a spider or something. I am far too heavy and don't have that kind of purchase.
Damn, there goes that plan.

>I could also just rush him
>So, what's it gonna be, then?
Yeah, might as well just rush him right now.

Watch him and wait for him to look away from where you’re at, then use Speed to run at him! Then kill him and eat his soul!
>>
No. 896774 ID: 3da2a8

Do all of your abilities emit a magical signature that would make you easier to detect? If so, that's something to keep in mind when we're wary of magically-attuned folk nearby.

>>896766
No reason to believe his weapon may be enchanted. Still, it'd be a good idea to use **Speed** and rush him before he gets a chance to react.
>>
No. 896798 ID: ad51b8

well if we rushing him, grab the candle that's next to you and chuck it down the hall toward the stairs to get the guard to look away from you, then us your speed and leap abilities to quickly get the drop on him and cover his mouth so he can't scream and kill him quickly... cleanly as well if you can. Then consume him to take his form so you can wonder around with a bit more freedom.
>>
No. 896921 ID: 62e2e4
File 153411655388.png - (24.12KB , 800x700 , 108-rush.png )
896921

>Do all of your abilities emit a magical signature that would make you easier to detect?
Um, I'm a magical creature, so I emit a magical signature. It's just that Spectral Senses draws particular attention to me. It's sort of like saying "hey, someone's looking at you." It's just not something I can use stealthily, is all.

>might as well just rush him right now
>rush him before he gets a chance to react
>rushing him
All right, that seems pretty unanimous. Here goes nothing.

>use Speed to run at him! Then kill him and eat his soul!
Speed on its own isn't going to be enough to take him down. I gotta be able to tear him up when I reach him.

[ Dionaea activates Feral Claws and Speed. ]
>>
No. 896922 ID: 62e2e4
File 153411657025.png - (64.70KB , 800x700 , 109-slash.png )
896922

The guard hasn't even finished drawing in his breath to yell when I close the distance. A claw to the throat ensures he never makes any sound louder than a bloody gurgle.

[ Dionaea consumes a Soul. ]
>>
No. 896923 ID: 62e2e4
File 153411658872.png - (47.30KB , 800x700 , 110-flashpoint.png )
896923

That was easy enough, but I hope that I don't end up needing these abilities later for something more perilous before they recharge. At least I have them for a little while longer, since that went so quickly. I'll go ahead and check out what's behind this door. It's not locked.

Yep, it's definitely the master bedroom. And it looks like the master is in. What's my plan here? What's the goal? Am I trying to kill him and take his soul? Am I trying to make a connection here? Start a cult? Think carefully about this, please, because I can't exactly un-kill him if I slit his throat in his sleep.

Something about this is making me suspicious. This manor was supposed to be full of magic, but all I've seen so far is empty rooms and a single guard, who barely put up a fight. I don't wanna be too gung ho. Help me out here. Am I missing something? Walking into a trap? Maybe there's something else going on here that doesn't involve me?
>>
No. 896929 ID: b8d5aa

is it too late to impersonate the guard? can you do that, before you go exploring further, or would it be better to just attempt to remain hidden?

go quietly searching around this bedroom. obviously the guard was guarding something important. maybe if there's someone in there, they're powerful or influential or important enough that consuming their soul would be more 'filling' than a simple guard.
>>
No. 896930 ID: 3da2a8

>>896923
He could have the juiciest soul yet, but that could pale in comparison to whatever else he can provide.

Let's check if he's asleep, and if his room or clothing gives any further indication to social standing/wealth. Might be the type to join a cult after a midnight demon visit, or to be scared into compliance by the same thing.
>>
No. 896943 ID: 91ee5f

>>896923
Alright, we made it in! Now let’s go and-

>Something about this is making me suspicious.
.....why did you have to say that? Now I’m second guessing myself!

Alright, fine, let’s look for traps. Starting with that rug. There could be some sorta magical rune or something hidden under it that’ll activate when an intruder steps on it.

>Eat him or start cult with him?
That’s a tough question.

Eating him will provide power, which will let you strike fear into the mortals and they’ll be more likely to obey you.

Using him will make the process of starting a cult easier, with his power and influence.
>>
No. 896990 ID: ad51b8

well if your shadow blend will work here I say wait a minute to see if the guy is actually sleeping, maybe stealth around the room to see if you can't actually see who's sleeping on the bed. Cause I'm seeing something on the bed near the figure's waist and I can't tell if that's a tail or a sword.

hell if you want to be cautious, if you can fit under the bed you could grab the guard's sword and use that to stab the guy from under the bed and then consume him.
>>
No. 896996 ID: 91ee5f

>>896990
She can’t consume him like that. She need to be in direct contact at the moment of his death in order to get his soul.

In other words, she has to use her teeth or her claws to kill him.
>>
No. 897060 ID: b8d5aa

>>896943
i'm seconding the 'attempt to coerce them into starting a cult' idea. but i don't know how that could be done, except by threatening them, or appearing before them as a fantastic specter and awing them into worship.
>>
No. 898520 ID: 5fa661

Before you set foot in there, check under that rug for some sort of magic circle.
>>
No. 899523 ID: b1b4f3

Hey, you should raise a skeleton and send it in there ahead of you. That way if there are any traps, the skeleton will get hit instead of you.
>>
No. 904910 ID: 778df3

The shadow of the person doesn't match the profile of someone laying down. Its probably a trap for you in some way, probably relating to that previous person. Spectral Senses?
>>
No. 905012 ID: 977456

First, don't step on the rug and keep an eye on the mounted head's eyes.
Second, you don't have the preparations and knowledge to start a cult, you have already left evidence, and this town is pretty small and religious anyway, so a cult here is not looking like a good idea. Just kill and keep(loot) and kip then cut-and-run. There will be plenty of time for diplomacy at the next place when you have money and a persona ready.
Third, if it is a child then it is probably some sort of quest-objective loaded with negative karma. Kidnap them and teach them to be your high-priest while travelling to the next place. Otherwise, just kill them.

Can you store all your power, kill some random traveller, gain one of the starting powers, then repeat the process until you have all the starting powers stored then reclaim them for the complete set at bargain prices?
If not, can you store your power, start on a different path, then reclaim it and get different powers? If you just need to kill one low-level soul to completely rearrange your abilities it would make things much easier.
>>
No. 908290 ID: 470289

Check the room and under the rug for any bolt-holes. If there's a trap it's not for you, so diving out a window should be a good backup plan.
>>
No. 926265 ID: 688dd6
File 155295808574.png - (14.33KB , 700x800 , 111-suspicious.png )
926265

>is it too late to impersonate the guard? can you do that, before you go exploring further, or would it be better to just attempt to remain hidden?
I mean, YEAH, that's a plan we should have thought of beforehand. I consumed his soul, so I can still Impersonate him, but his armor and stuff is back in the hallway (and covered in blood), and I think walking up naked to the bed disguised as one of this guy's subordinates would send the wrong message.

>.....why did you have to say that? Now I’m second guessing myself!
SHUT UP YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO THINK ABOUT THIS STUFF

>Alright, fine, let’s look for traps. Starting with that rug. There could be some sorta magical rune or something hidden under it that’ll activate when an intruder steps on it.
>Before you set foot in there, check under that rug for some sort of magic circle.
>The shadow of the person doesn't match the profile of someone laying down. Its probably a trap for you in some way, probably relating to that previous person. Spectral Senses?
How do you want me to do that?? I just went over why using Spectral Senses is not a good idea if I'm trying to fly under the radar.

>Hey, you should raise a skeleton and send it in there ahead of you. That way if there are any traps, the skeleton will get hit instead of you.
Not a terrible idea, but I'd have go to back into the hallway and get that guy's skeleton to climb out of its body. That would be messy, and loud.

I didn't mean like a literal trap, though. Something about this just feels too... easy. Like someone wanted me to come here.

>Can you store all your power, kill some random traveller, gain one of the starting powers, then repeat the process until you have all the starting powers stored then reclaim them for the complete set at bargain prices?
>If not, can you store your power, start on a different path, then reclaim it and get different powers? If you just need to kill one low-level soul to completely rearrange your abilities it would make things much easier.
Yes, I can follow a different path of magic if I lose my power and regain it. How do you think I got to choose my powers this whole time? Do you think this is my first go-'round? Re-specializing like that isn't particularly difficult, but it's expensive and time-consuming because of the rituals and artifacts required to store my power like that. And no, I can't "store" the specific abilities I've learned, only the power that lets me wield them. So I'd have the same number of abilities afterwards. If you're having second thoughts about our choices, we can look into it later.

>Let's check if he's asleep
>i'm seconding the 'attempt to coerce them into starting a cult' idea. but i don't know how that could be done, except by threatening them, or appearing before them as a fantastic specter and awing them into worship.
>consume him.
>rug rug rug rug rug
Aaaaaaa so indecisive, fuck it! I'm just going to go up and talk to them. If it goes bad I can always kill them afterwards. Think of it this way; if this is a trap they're probably not going to expect me to not immediately try and kill everyone I see, right? And you're always telling me to talk first and murder later.
>>
No. 926266 ID: 688dd6
File 155295810983.png - (22.23KB , 700x800 , 112-greet.png )
926266

"Hey."
>>
No. 926267 ID: 688dd6
File 155295812206.png - (26.66KB , 700x800 , 113-paranoid.png )
926267

"Die, assassin!"
>>
No. 926269 ID: 688dd6
File 155295815281.png - (11.16KB , 700x800 , 114-unaffected.png )
926269

"Haha. Nice one."

"By the gods! Did they really send a demon to kill me, over a few debts? I... suppose this is the end, then. Make it quick, please...

Oh, who am I kidding, asking a demon for mercy? Do your worst. Earn your end of whatever bargain they've made with you."

All right, this guy's no threat to me. Weird. I really expected more out of this old manor. This pipsqueak is the man of the house? He's so young. A place this huge and old should have more nice stuff in it, too. I can practically see the rectangles on the floor where stuff's been taken out.

Should I kill him? He's so mopey and pathetic. It's not really any fun when they're all at peace with their mortality and stuff. Plus, his soul doesn't smell particularly tasty. I should at least make him tell me where all the magic stuff is first, right?
>>
No. 926274 ID: b1b4f3

>>926269
Yeah, interrogate him. Find out why it was so easy to get in and why stuff is missing. Maybe you can get him to tell you a better target? Let him think you're working for him and he won't out you to the church.
>>
No. 926276 ID: ad51b8

well this doesn't mean we still can't have some fun with him by fucking with him.

So quick question, can you get people to sell their soul to you or no? Either way this guy looks jumpy, seems to have enemies, and should have at least some influence if for no other reason then having money right?

I'm just wondering if you can't try and trick him into working for you by going after the people he owes the doubt to. Just get him to point you towards where they are as they sound like people who have taster souls anyways and see if you can't get him into your debt. I mean even if you can't you can still just eat him later and with the added bonus of actually knowing where to go hunting next instead of just wondering around. And hell if you can trick him into working for you, you can at the very least have somewhere nice to sleep during the day and I'm sure we could think of other benefits as well.
>>
No. 926277 ID: 101c3c

Might as well take the opportunity and bargain. We're just here for the magic items and some clothing, if he can provide it, he can keep living in fear of whoever he's indebted to.
>>
No. 926291 ID: 91ee5f

>>926269
Let’s make a deal with him. He points us to the guys he owes a debt to and we’ll get rid of them, which will be good for us, since those guys sound like they should have tastier souls!

However, if he wants you to go kill these guys, he’s got to pay you with whatever magical stuff he’s got laying around!

.....hey, speaking of magical stuff, where’s that magic staff you got from that priest earlier?
>>
No. 926312 ID: 977456

See how desperate they are, and how much blackmail material you can get on them. They might be a good chance to recruit a daywalker.
>>
No. 926323 ID: e20bdf

Something is odd here. The dude is sleeping fully armored in a guarded room because of debts, immediately accept death, and after that his soul isn't great. Either he lost his fortune (assuming the soul value of rich people is always directly correlated to their money), wasted his inheritance or is got this situation by being partially successful in a "get rich quick" scheme.
Since his soul isn't particularly valuable, and all the fortune this place had is probable gone, why not fuck with him for the fun of it. Make it seem you have a purpose for him, give him hope, but keep it simple.
"You're funny. I thing I will keep." Or something less stupid...
>>
No. 926343 ID: 094652

He's not afraid yet. Make him afraid.

Explain that his fate is one of fire and futility - there is no heaven for him if he surrenders here and now. Just a morsel for your power.

And you will show the trust in your voice by sparing his life. You are a selfish monster, but you are not pure evil. You are capable of reason, negotiation... (use gnoll disguise) and more.

Offer no deal, leave him in peace, and let him stew for a few weeks. When he finally snaps from the existential crisis, let HIM make the offer. Let him beg you to negotiate in your favor.
>>
No. 926345 ID: 688dd6
File 155301602483.png - (23.27KB , 700x800 , 115-glare.png )
926345

>can you get people to sell their soul to you or no?
Ummmm, for what? The only thing I can offer them in return is death and oblivion. To take their soul, I have to kill them and absorb it, and when I do -- that's it. That person is no more. They don't even get to be stardust.

>.....hey, speaking of magical stuff, where’s that magic staff you got from that priest earlier?
I left it in the hallway before I attacked the guard, since you guys told me to rush him and devour his soul. It's kind of a pain in the ass to haul around. I keep getting stuck in doorways. Dunno how that old monk dude dealt with it.

>"You're funny. I thing I will keep."
What do I look like, a caveman?

>use gnoll disguise
Look, I'll admit that much of the mortal mind is a mystery to me, but again, I'm pretty sure it sends the wrong message to show up at his bedside as a naked stranger.

>Yeah, interrogate him. Maybe you can get him to tell you a better target? Let him think you're working for him and he won't out you to the church.
>Just get him to point you towards where they are as they sound like people who have taster souls anyways and see if you can't get him into your debt.
>Might as well take the opportunity and bargain.
>Let’s make a deal with him. He points us to the guys he owes a debt to and we’ll get rid of them, which will be good for us, since those guys sound like they should have tastier souls!
>Make it seem you have a purpose for him, give him hope, but keep it simple.
Hrmm. Okay. It's a goal, at least, more direction than I've had since I got here.

"Listen. Friend. I have no idea what you're talking about. Whoever you're indebted to, I don't know them. But..."

"Wh--"
>>
No. 926346 ID: 688dd6
File 155301603570.png - (13.98KB , 700x800 , 116-cajole.png )
926346

"Maybe we can help each other? Hmmm? You sound like a man with problems. I'm a skilled problem solver. Why don't I help you out, and you can owe me a favor?"

"I... ennnhhhh... I guess I can't really drag my family name through the mud any more than I already have, so why not consort with demons? I don't have much left to lose."

"Thatta boy. Tell me what's bothering you."
>>
No. 926347 ID: 688dd6
File 155301604885.png - (42.54KB , 700x800 , 117-niklaus.png )
926347

"Fine. My name is Niklaus Irontail, the last of the Irontail clan and heir to the former Irontail fortune. My family once owned quite a stake in this town. In fact, we were one of the most influential ratfolk clans on the island, and my ancestors were some of the Emperor's most trusted warriors.

"Unfortunately, time has not been kind to our family tree, and by the time I was born, all that remained were my grandfather, my father, my mother, and I. Suffice it to say, I... was not the son they had been hoping for. I drank, I gambled, I fraternized. I learned nothing from my elders, and remained incorrigible until my father died and left the estate to me... presumably because he couldn't bear the thought of donating it to charity.

"Left to my own devices, I, through unfortunate circumstances, accrued a large amount of debt with some of the most unsavory characters in this town, and they have spent the last few years bleeding me dry of every penny in the Irontail coffers. I've sold almost everything of value on the property to try to appease them, but still they hound me, and now that I have no more money to give them... they have grown brazen in their threats. I can't afford to pay any guards more than a pittance, so only the ones most loyal to my family's name remain. As you can see, I sleep with one eye open, in constant fear that they'll make good on their threats and come to wring the last few drops from my humbled inheritance, over my dead body."
>>
No. 926348 ID: 688dd6
File 155301605601.png - (17.49KB , 700x800 , 118-plotting.png )
926348

"So, demon, what can you do for me, and what will it cost me? I assume material treasures hold no value to you, which is just as well, since I can't offer them. If you champion me and strike down my tormentors, crueler ones will spring up in their place, as they do in all seedy underbellies. Plus, they're men of esteem, and their deaths will raise questions. The ones who seek out the answers will not, I think, be people you want to meet."

Hmmmmmmm. Hmmmmm. This sounds like a big commitment. Even worse, it sounds like a problem I can't just claw my way through. But, still... this could be the opportunity I've been looking for. A mortal contact, check. Access to a criminal underbelly, that's probably willing to sell things to demons, check. A big home full of basic commodities and a reliable place to sleep during the day, check. And all I have to do is bail this Irontail schmuck out of his gambling debts? That's worth sparing one mediocre soul for if you ask me.

Still, I need to be prepared. He seems to know his stuff, probably his fancy rich family gave him a decent education. What should I ask him? About where I am? Who I'm up against? This is the first mortal I've spoken to so far who hasn't tried to banish me or just screamed in terror until I killed them.
>>
No. 926349 ID: b8d5aa

what to do with this nicholas irontail? he is obviously more useful to us alive than dead, but we have to weigh the benefits against the cost. how large a town is it, really? are we avaricious enough to help him take it over and thereby increase our power and influence, or are we more interested in just finding more souls to devour? and can we trust him not to try to kill us after we've taken care of some of his problems?

taking care of his problems would be fun in and of itself. but here's the offer: you take care of these creditors, and he takes care of you. and when he becomes a respected, wealthy noblerat again, he helps rope in some prime, juicy souls for you to devour. plus, you'll need some magic stuff, probably. that's always nice.
>>
No. 926357 ID: a9af05

>>926349
Do this.
>>
No. 926359 ID: b1b4f3

>>926348
>deaths will raise questions
Alright, all we need to do is frame someone else for the murders. Good thing you can shapeshift.
>>
No. 926360 ID: e20bdf

We could start solving his problem by eliminating tho worst threats. We will want to be thorough in the killing and we need to loot their valuables for our impoverished patron. Therefor we require ether Niklaus himself and/or his most trusted guard to accompany us in this endeavor, point our target an help carry their stuff afterward.

As for what you want:
-Secure. "I protect you you protect me" kind of deal.
-A room far from everyone to sleep and keep your stuff. An isolated wing or the basement would be good.
-For future projects to be pay in magical items or souls.

Let's also consider the problem of trust. As are relation with this man is he may betray us in the first opportunity for being a demon or betray us as soon as we deal with his problem. His opinion of us will also worsen when he find out about the guard we killed since apparently he was one of most loyal to his family.
Of course you will gain his trust as you prove yourself useful, but for a more immediately solution... Can you fuck him? We could add this to the demands:
-Share a bad with you every night.
If he doesn't like your demon form you can shapeshift to his liking. Wolf girl or rat boy?
>>
No. 926366 ID: 977456

He is kind of useless as-is. Better to train him in self-control and strategic thinking. Start subtle, he must have a map of the city somewhere, even if it is outdated, get a rough biography and holdings of the major player, guess who can be turned against who and how to confirm your guesses, deduce how your own agents can be in just the right place at the right time to gain resources and reputation while the city's established powers tear one another apart. Keep the plans vague for now, there'll be scouting and interrogation to do before committing to a plan and its backups and its preparations for improvisation. So long as he is following along and contributing in small ways he should be beginning to understand how consequences work and that continuing to be an idiot will get him killed. Keep it up and byt the time he is running the town, he will be competent enough to leave to his own devices to build up power and resources for you to turn up later with extensive evidence of his demonic dealings...
>>
No. 926371 ID: ad51b8

hmm, I say go for it. I mean this guy doesn't have anything we really want that we probably couldn't find just wondering the street and we didn't really have any direction before so this could be nice. Just have to be careful that old irontail here doesn't betray you. If he does though it will probably be after you pull his ass out of the fire so maybe his soul would have gotten tastier by then as well.

So long story short, I say go for it but watch your back. This guy sounds desperate and desperate people can do unpredictable things. Also after we're done talking to this guy we should probably clean up the guard body outside the door... if only to avoid some awkward questions with our new buddy here.
>>
No. 926401 ID: 688dd6
File 155305250026.png - (10.87KB , 700x800 , 119-berate.png )
926401

Okay, wow, congratulations on not giving me a single question to ask him, any of you. Typical!

>how large a town is it, really?
Medium-sized. I've been around it a few times:
>>570364
>>796213
It's got a short wall, mostly to ward off magical miscreants, and a market district where most of the population is. Most of the town is at the bottom of the hill, and then up the side of the hill is a bunch of manors like this one. I know the town is called Kelorus, 'cause that's what the bartender called it.

>are we avaricious enough to help him take it over and thereby increase our power and influence
Um, maybe. I still don't think I could take it over by myself, but having a support network of mortals that I can gain access to magic and power through would make that significantly easier.

>are we more interested in just finding more souls to devour?
That's the primary method through which I become stronger, so... both? I don't have to kill everyone I meet, and it'll save me a lot of time if I target the juicier souls rather than gorging myself on commoners, but taking souls is a fundamental part of my nature. If I'm not doing that, I'm just spinning my wheels. However, I'm interested in a lot more than just taking souls. I want to be feared, not specifically by this guy, but by everyone, and you can't fear me when you're dead, or whisper my name to others. I want to rule, deciding the lives of thousands from on high. I want a playground where I can do anything I want, and no one can stop me.

What am I really interested in? I'm interested in taking this whole damn Empire over, and subjugating everyone in it. That's a long-term goal, though. I'm a long way from that. I'm working my way up. This little quest sounds like a promising start.

>can we trust him not to try to kill us after we've taken care of some of his problems?
Can he trust me not to do the same?

>Of course you will gain his trust as you prove yourself useful, but for a more immediately solution... Can you fuck him?
>If he doesn't like your demon form you can shapeshift to his liking. Wolf girl or rat boy?
Excuse me? Can I what now? Do I look like some common harlot, trading pleasure for shelter? Maybe you've mistaken me for a succubus, you blithering dolt? I cannot believe you are sincerely advocating that I lay with the first mortal I ally with to "gain his trust." Where do I even start?

First of all, I'm not equipped for biological reproduction, obviously, so it's not possible for me to experience sexual pleasure. There's nothing innately enjoyable about it. That also means that I don't experience attraction like humans do. I've lain with humans before, yes, but only because I thought it would be fun, or in some cases because it would be funny. Otherwise it's a totally one-sided experience, and I'd much rather be ripping their throats out. That innately feels good.

Secondly, no, you simpering fool, I can't shapeshift. Impersonate is an illusion which allows me to take the form of people I've killed. I don't actually have any flesh when I do it, and as I've said before >>781659, if anyone were to touch me, they would know my true nature immediately. It's purely visual. Plus, I like the way I look, and I'd much rather make them look me in the teeth than put on some weird show for them.

Third, I've killed a lot more people than just those two adventurers. I can Impersonate dozens of villagers and townsfolk. And furthermore, the woman was a gnoll, and the man was mousefolk. So you got both of them wrong, idiot. Gods above and below!

All right, fine, since none of you care to ask him about anything I can't already tell you, I'll just lay down my demands.
>>
No. 926402 ID: 688dd6
File 155305252014.png - (23.00KB , 700x800 , 120-bargain.png )
926402

>you take care of these creditors, and he takes care of you. and when he becomes a respected, wealthy noblerat again, he helps rope in some prime, juicy souls for you to devour. plus, you'll need some magic stuff, probably. that's always nice.
>Secure. "I protect you you protect me" kind of deal. A room far from everyone to sleep and keep your stuff. An isolated wing or the basement would be good. For future projects to be pay in magical items or souls.
"I want a place to stay in your manor. Somewhere I can lock, into which sunlight has absolutely no path of entry."

"All right, I can give you one of the spare bedrooms up here and draw the curtains--" he starts.

"No! Fool," I interrupt him. "No windows, not even covered. No grates. Somewhere that has never even seen the light of day, and never will."

"...Fine. We can probably clear some space in the cellar for you. Will that do?"

"Yes. And if I solve this problem for you, you'll owe me some big favors. And in the future, I want magic items as part of my pay." Let's not get hasty and rule currency out entirely. Money can be exchanged for goods and services.

He sighs. "Owe my life to a demon? What could go wrong? Well, it's not much of a life anymore anyway. Very well, it's a deal, errr..."

"Dionaea," I say.

"It's a deal, Dionaea. Now, what are you going to do for me?"
>>
No. 926403 ID: 688dd6
File 155305253465.png - (27.06KB , 700x800 , 121-backlash.png )
926403

>We could start solving his problem by eliminating tho worst threats.
>Alright, all we need to do is frame someone else for the murders.
"Great. I'll get started on killing all those people bothering you as soon as I can. Don't worry, they'll be out of your hair soon."

"No! Have you listened to a word I've said?" he seethes.

"I-"

"If you kill them, you'll only open seats of power for even worse scum! And they'll still expect me to pay up! And they'll come looking for who offed such influential people!"

"That's fine, I'll just frame someone and draw the suspicion away."

"Dionaea! Listen to me! I told you my ancestors were warriors of the Empire. Some of them fought to unite it. Most of them fought to protect it. So I know well what kind of bloodhounds they'll send to sniff out such high-profile murders. They'll know, and they'll find you, wherever you hide, and make short work of you. And then we'll both be dead."
>>
No. 926404 ID: 688dd6
File 155305254449.png - (30.62KB , 700x800 , 122-sullen.png )
926404

He sighs and settles back into his seat. "Murders won't solve this. I need tact. I need clever plans. I need you to make them forget or forgive the debts, of their own volition. I don't know... maybe you could get in good with them, get them to listen to you when you say I'm not worth their time? Just... don't link yourself to me. I don't need that kind of stain on my reputation."

The ratling shifts in his chair before he continues. "The person I was as a boy, that's not who I am as a man. I'm no longer rash, compulsive, hedonistic. I've ruined my family's legacy, and that's a fact, but there's still plenty of people who live in this manor. Servants, mostly. They were born here. As long as they have a roof over their head and food in the pantry, I haven't completely ruined their lives yet. If I die, and my estate is repossessed, who knows what will happen to them?

"I need you to see that that doesn't happen. Fix this for me, and I can start rebuilding, maybe even try for an heir to reignite the ashes of my family line. Save me from this mess I've made for myself, give me a second chance, and I'll do whatever you want. The Irontail blade will be at your command."

Sheesh. He's pretty testy. Listen, I'll say it again, this guy is potentially useful to me, but his loyalty isn't all I get out of this arrangement. Whoever he's indebted to clearly runs the criminal underworld in this town, and that kind of black market is the only place that a demon like me will be able to get all the things I might need. You want artifacts that can bring me back to life? The only sculptors and blacksmiths that will make them are in the black market. You want magic items? The only antiquarians who might peddle them to unholy night-creatures are in the black market. Want to start a cult? I bet you could make recruitment a lot easier with the kind of guidance and information you'd find in the black market! His connections are just as valuable as his assistance.

So, what do I say?
>>
No. 926408 ID: b1b4f3

Hmm... okay, different strategy. What if we take on his debts? Except not actually taking on his debts, it'd be more like you're using the criminals as a bounty hunting office. Hmm, although... his suggested approach could work too. You could go introduce yourself and offer to work as a debt collector, then when they inevitably send you here, return and say he's cleaned out. Though I guess you could take his suit of armor as his final payment? He won't need it anymore, probably, and it's got to be valuable.

Ask him where the criminals are, and who they are. What's the safest way to approach them?
>>
No. 926409 ID: 977456

Help him rule the town, while supporting your future endeavours, whatever they might be. If he ever betrays you, those hunters he fears will discover many reasons to tear his household apart hunting for demonic corruption. If you prosper... you like civilisation, its fun and productive. Your not the sort to tear the place apart, you have vested interest in keeping healthy workers in the fields. At its worst, he would only be betraying his nation's rulers, not its populace.

Ask him for biographies on his enemies and the town. Study, watch, and where necessary bribe and kidnap until you know all you need in order to steer these people against one another. Steer them into a war and let them take the blame for destroying one another. Meanwhile, watch it all closely. Your own forces in place steal what will not be noticed, guard the seemingly small and insignificant peoples who will be overlooked by most, but will feed your popularity when such is tested. Gather evidence against all you can, so that when the survivors emerge, you will have official leave to set your newly swollen militia to their elimination and spread your own influence into the resulting void.

And a secret war is a prime opportunity to feast...
>>
No. 926413 ID: 91ee5f

>>926402
>No sunlight!
Speaking of which, if you become strong enough, would you be able to freely move around during the day? Being able to do that would help in case of an emergency.

Or just being able to be in a room lit with candles would help, next time we need to go into the bar again or some other place like that.

>>926403
>No killing!
Ok, ok! Sheesh! How about blackmail? If we give him something good enough to use against the guys he’s in debt to, that’ll get them to back off, right?

>>926404
Ask him the names and locations of the people he owes debts to.

Any rumors around town that could lead us to something interesting?
>>
No. 926428 ID: 4d09e0

>Okay, wow, congratulations on not giving me a single question to ask him, any of you. Typical!
It’s why you love us.

But if you want some questions here’s some better late then never.

Who exactly does he owe his debt to? At first it sounded like he just own some money to some local thugs but now it almost sounds like he stole from the emperor himself.
Also how much debt does he owe.

As for his suggestions. Ask don’t you think it would be a bit suspicious for you to start doing little odd jobs for them and then ask out of the goodness of your heart for them to leave someone who you supposedly never met alone and for them to drop the debt? Honestly if he wants you to work off his debt he’s going to have to be connected to you in some way, even if that way is through a friend of a friend by him calling in a favor.

Granted don’t really care how he gets us in as long as he can get us in to start getting our own connections. Though his quip about a heir interest me as I’m wondering how viable it would be to help him gain a heir then find a way to make the child completely loyal to you. I mean hopefully you’d have a cult by then but still having a few back ups isn’t the worst idea. Again though that would be something for future us to worry about.
>>
No. 926457 ID: 094652

Explain to your new acquaintance that you're here, terrorizing the innocent and slaughtering adventurers, because your antics increase your power. You do not intend to cease your ambitions to become an archdemoness just for a cot and three meals. But the promise of magic items will keep you sated at the moment, and you need to fight strong opponents; killing the poor feels like eating celery.

That said, you think you can take a break from your rampage - if you're allowed to practice the magic you've recently learned without fear of being caught off-guard by enemies.

Might need to dig up a few corpses.
>>
No. 926473 ID: 101c3c

Alright, let's agree to his demands for now and ask for specific info about these people he's indebted to. Who are they, what do they do, where do they live. Maybe he's got some idea of how to bring them down or get them off his case in a more natural way, whether that's blackmail, an offer to cooperate with their misdeeds, or just giving the right person a frightening demonic encounter. Maybe even find a weak link to stalk and impersonate, using their influence to mess with someone more powerful.

Speaking of that, the chair he's sitting on looks mighty expensive. The armor and sword he's keeping for protection, but you'd think he would've sold that, no? Let's ask about that too. We did detect strong magic in this place, and haven't seen anything that would radiate it yet.
>>
No. 926480 ID: 744ec0

>>926473
yeah

would blackmailing them work?
>>
No. 926481 ID: f2320a

>>926473
Support we need that info before we can even think about making a plan
>>
No. 926486 ID: 7ec08e

Sounds like we’re going to be robbing some fools alongside killing them for a bit.
First question for our ‘friend’ here: Any up-and comers packing in friends amongst the nobility he knows about? Like, someone who’d have some serious cash without having ancient legacies and contacts like he does, or good friends. Alternatively, we MIGHT get to get away with robbing a bigger name, assuming we don’t do the gauche thing of robbing the guys we owe a debt to.
>>
No. 926557 ID: cbdfa8

>>926404

happens to be I have extensive knowledge in starting cults.

>>926480
yes and no.
it depends with some people
>>
No. 926588 ID: 2202fb

>>926557
aww yiss, we got the dude that turned a strain of christianity into a sex-cult!
>>
No. 926662 ID: 688dd6
File 155318874986.png - (26.61KB , 700x800 , 123-scoff.png )
926662

>Speaking of which, if you become strong enough, would you be able to freely move around during the day? Being able to do that would help in case of an emergency.
No, probably not. A tiger can't change its stripes. I'll never be able to just ignore the sun in this form. I'm a shadow demon.

That said, I could move around in it, as long as I had a source of shade to stay under. It wouldn't be comfortable, but I could do it in an emergency.

>Or just being able to be in a room lit with candles would help
I am able to do that! I did it already!! It just didn't feel very good!

>killing the poor feels like eating celery.
Actually, no! I can't taste human food, but my inquiries suggest that the most analogous to what eating common souls is like is, in fact, white bread. Bland, a bit dry, filling at first, but you're hungry again quite quickly. Definitely not satisfying as your entire diet.

>Who exactly does he owe his debt to? At first it sounded like he just own some money to some local thugs but now it almost sounds like he stole from the emperor himself.
"Geez, who do you owe money to? The Emperor himself?"

"Hah!" Niklaus wheezes. "I wish! The Emperor is a good man. This land would be much worse off without him. It's just a shame we're so close to the edge of the world. Closer to the mainland, there's not as much latent magic, so there's a lot fewer monsters roaming around. Errr, no offense."

"None taken."

>Also how much debt does he owe.
>Speaking of that, the chair he's sitting on looks mighty expensive. The armor and sword he's keeping for protection, but you'd think he would've sold that, no? Let's ask about that too.
"Clearly you haven't sold off all your possessions, though. That chair looks like it'd fetch a good price, and you've got some fancy armor and a nice sword. Why haven't you sold that? How much do you owe?"

"What, this chair?" he scoffs. "No, its only real value is as an antique. All the furniture here is old as dirt, and household objects like that are commonplace. If I could pay off what I owe with chair money, I wouldn't need your help, haha. It's a lot.

"As for the armor, well... this set was my grandfather's, passed down to me after his death. I'd rather die than part with it. There's a reason I sleep in it, you know. It's the only thing that makes me feel safe anymore."

Sentimental young fool. It's just ordinary metal. Fine craftsmanship, perhaps, but it turns away arrows a lot more easily than something like me.
>>
No. 926663 ID: 688dd6
File 155318876406.png - (23.96KB , 700x800 , 124-brood.png )
926663

>How about blackmail?
>would blackmailing them work?
"Well, if killing them's more trouble than it's worth, how about I dig up some dirt on them? You could blackmail them to leave you alone."

"Enhhh... I don't know. Maybe. They already want me dead, it would probably just be more incentive for them to make me disappear. I'd quite like to part with them on 'friendly' terms. But... see what you can find, I suppose."

>Ask him where the criminals are, and who they are. What's the safest way to approach them?
>Ask him for biographies on his enemies and the town.
>ask for specific info about these people he's indebted to.
"So, tell me about these creditors of yours. Give me some background on them, and then I'll nap through the day in your cellar and start looking into them tomorrow night."

"Very well." He takes a breath.
>>
No. 926664 ID: 688dd6
File 155318877520.png - (25.79KB , 700x800 , 125-matthewfurthing.png )
926664

"The man at the top is the Lord of Gulradein, Duke Matthew Furthing. A human; long full beard, brown eyes, pink skin, snub nose, wiry eyebrows. Gulradein is the closest city on this side of the bay; it was once the elven capital, you know. By all accounts, he's as spiteful as he is shrewd, which I suppose makes him ideal as the Emperor's financial advisor. I've never met the man; only the dogs he sends for me. To him, I'm probably just another name on a piece of parchment. Debt-collecting is his moonlight enterprise; his official capacity is as the East Crescent's taxman, so you can see how the skills overlap. Anyway, he lives in Gulradein, obviously, so I don't imagine you'd care to pursue him, even if he weren't a Duke and very well-guarded."
>>
No. 926665 ID: 688dd6
File 155318878311.png - (25.06KB , 700x800 , 126-hansminami.png )
926665

"Answering to him is Sir Hans Minami. A black knight, if I've ever seen one. Human as well, pale-skinned, short beard, cleft chin, blue eyes, tousled black hair. A commoner by birth, he earned his knighthood for service to Duke Furthing; you can imagine what kind. I've met him only twice; he rides in and out of Kelorus, mostly to oversee the Duke's enterprises here. The rumors I've heard about the man... well, he's the reason I believed they contracted a demon to kill me. Chiefly, he lost his left eye to a rowdy street urchin as a teenager, so they say. The one he's got is just a little magic ball enchanted to match his real one. It's a good enough fake to fool me, that's for sure. They say it lets him see your true nature, that he can tell at a glance if you're a coward, a mark, a liar, or an honorbound fool. I wouldn't suggest you attract his attention."
>>
No. 926666 ID: 688dd6
File 155318879444.png - (29.79KB , 700x800 , 127-jakobsoftpaw-reinhold.png )
926666

"Now, under him, managing the illicit trades in Kelorus, is Jakob Softpaw. He's ratfolk, born and raised in Kelorus, and a fat bastard, of course. Brown-furred, small ears. He's a ruthless penny-pincher, with absolutely no shame or remorse, take it from me. He's the one who threatens me so brazenly that I sleep with a sword in arm's reach. The worst of it is that he's clever as hell, and knows the laws inside and out. It's because of him they've managed to bleed me so dry. Hans favors him because he's so good with a contract. I've never met a man who used authenticity so duplicitously. He operates out of the market district like an honest merchant, the son of a bitch.

"His enforcer and right hand man goes only by Reinhold. Whether he's gnoll or dogfolk, I don't know, and I doubt anyone would dare to ask him. Maybe both. He's red-furred, though, hard to miss, and he does so love his petty tyranny. Almost as much as his simple pleasures. When he's not working, he's either at a bar, a whorehouse, or a mystic. He's superstitious, apparently, I don't know why. He's not secretive about his comings and goings, so he's not hard to find. I don't know much about his background, though. I suppose he'd probably be a good foot in the door for you if you wanted to work for them.

"The two of them employ dozens of thugs, crooks, freaks, and miscreants. I don't know all of them. Mostly they just show up at my door to tell me Jakob expects to meet soon. Pretty much anything shady or seedy in this town, they've got their fingers in it. Disagreeable as they are, they keep a sort of order to it all. If you butchered them, their lackies would just take over, and none of them are level-headed enough for that kind of power. Sure, you might destabilize Duke Furthing's interests in this town in the long run, but I'd probably just get beaten to death. And the Duke would not be pleased, so he'd almost certainly use his connections to the Emperor to find out what really happened, which means you'd get hunted down and killed. Truth be told, I don't care how slimy and corrupt they are. I just want out from under them."

"That's all I've got for you. Anything else before I escort you to your... room?"
>>
No. 926669 ID: 2202fb

>>926666
kill the rat dude, not the enforcer. Make it look really demonic and supernatural. When the enforcer comes to power, he will be scared shitless and putty in our hands when we go to meet him.
>>
No. 926679 ID: 101c3c

The last two are the easy way in, we might be able to catch them after dusk. Trying to find this Reinhold tomorrow should be easy, we already know a tavern and it's not a huge town. Maybe we'll catch him walking out of it, drunk enough to say more than he should. He's superstitious but revealing our true nature right away might not be the best way to go.

Niklaus probably won't banish us in our sleep, so we might as well spend the night. Also he can probably buy us things at the lawful markets during the day now, which will be very useful once we've got the coin to do that. Should probably warn him about the grisly scene outside his bedroom, though...
>>
No. 926684 ID: b1b4f3

Well if the magic staff is turning out to be a pain in the ass maybe we can use it as a bargaining chip to get in with the collectors.

Does Jakob do business at night?
>>
No. 926694 ID: 688dd6
File 155320356375.png - (18.86KB , 700x800 , 128-nonplussed.png )
926694

[ Dionaea's Feral Claws and Speed subside. ]

>Does Jakob do business at night?
"This Softpaw guy, does he do business at night?"

"Almost exclusively, yes. As I said, he manages the illicit trades of Kelorus, which are generally not the type to open their doors in broad daylight. But, er, I've been meaning to ask, and Jakob probably will too..." Niklaus pauses. "If he didn't send you to kill me, how on earth did you get into the town? The whole thing's magically warded to keep your kind out."

"I have my ways."

The ratkin grimaces.

Oh! Wait! I forgot! The whole reason I came here in the first place! "Hey Niklaus, mind if I borrow some of your clothes?"

"What? You wear clothes? Fine. I'll have some left in the cellar for you."

>Should probably warn him about the grisly scene outside his bedroom, though...
"Oh, right. I should tell you, when I was wandering around the house, I ran into your guard outside. He didn't make it."

"Damn it. Poor Griffith." He sighs. "I'll just tell the servants he died scaring off an assassin. Which reminds me, stay out of sight, will you? Since I can't really pay them anymore, the servants only really stay here and do their jobs because this is their home. If they find out there's a demon in it, that will probably be enough motivation for them to leave en masse."

"I'll do my best." Hmmm, okay, so it would probably behoove me not to walk around the place in demon form. Come to think of it, maybe a mortal persona wouldn't be out of order? It's probably in my best interests, when negotiating with mortals, to belie my true nature and make them think I'm just an eccentric stranger. If I tip my hand early, I give them time to prepare for me, and I think it's better if as few living people know what I am as possible. I've got dozens of appearances to choose from, and Niklaus can probably provide me with any personal effects I need. I'm open to suggestions, though knowing you lot they'll all be terrible and I'll just have to choose for myself.
>>
No. 926701 ID: b8d5aa

okay, so killing these people is probably off the table... for now. not saying they can't be killed later on. but for now, maybe it would be best to see if we can intimidate or exploit them somehow: the low-level goons can't erase niklaus' debts, but maybe they could be convinced to leave him alone for a while, while we work out a plan for how to get our rat boy back into the black.
>>
No. 926710 ID: 977456

Are there still elves around? A former capitol is a tempting target for revolution, and the Duke likely oppresses many peoples. A bit of training in guerrilla warfare and establishing contact between some elven figureheads and various disgruntled communities (along with rumours of The Duke's treasure vault...) could get something large and tenacious enough to make The Duke forget all about this little corner of the world. It would take a fair while to set up though.

With such scrutiny you will want to work through agents, which means finding or building an opposition to the current underworld regime. A coup would be simple enough, train or impersonate a capable assassin, find an ambitious underling willing to pay... Far too much exposure though.

Perhaps you could establish some smuggling? Get some funds and contacts, recruit some of the needy who lack the rats' favour. Once you have some funds you can have your little noble here start to sponsor them. Donate some safe-houses, hire or train some forgers... Be an ally rather than a boss. He gets his foot in the door as an underworld lord while maintaining plausible deniability with The Duke. He needs to pay his debts afterall, how was he to know that his own operations would meddle in The Duke's affairs...
Once your competition is credible, they turn ruthless and off the old bosses, with some encouragement...

Or you could just play vigilante. Pick apart their operation from the bottom while never touching the people in charge. Bonus points if you can make it look like higher members of their organisation have been slipping you information to harm their enemies. Civil wars can tear apart criminal empires as easily as nations...

The Duke's Black Knight is probably best disposed of by some religious whackoes. Getting information on him would be dangerous, he is no doubt competent in demonic matters, but perhaps more mundane methods can be used. Thieves can be hired. Or maybe his plans can be predicted (or engineered) and witnesses can be arranged. Finally, evidence can be manufactured. If the correct information meets the correct ears...
>>
No. 926720 ID: ad51b8

Hmm, seeing how one of the plans we got cooking right now is to join the mob and given what we were told about some of the people we're working for, mostly Reinhold, I'd say pick a form that looks like it could handle a good fight or two and try to pick from your "prettier" forms you have in that category as well. Probably female as well since Iron tail said nothing of Reinhold being gay. Idea being that the picture painted of Reinhold is a man of vice so it might be easier to convince him (should we ever actually talk to him) if you're in a form that's easy on the eyes.
>>
No. 926785 ID: 2202fb

>>926694
You could be the guard.
>>
No. 926837 ID: 101c3c

The gnoll drew some eyes so ratfolk would be the better disguise, Niklaus is more likely to have clothing that'll fit him too. It'd be in poor taste to impersonate Griffith, but we did kill another male ratfolk a while ago. Him and the gnoll were just travellers, so that gives us the least chance of someone in town recognizing them.

With that disguise sorted out, we should ask where the seedier districts are and hang around them, to hopefully catch the red-furred one outside and in the dark. Figuring out where he frequents, or even lives, would be a good start. Same with the black market, we could him where to find a buyer that won't ask where things came from.
>>
No. 926870 ID: cbdfa8

>>926694
how about employing thugs of your own and training them to usurp their bosses. I think this will put them you in an advantage because you will have a group of people that are under a strongman which you will have authority over.
>>
No. 926978 ID: 688dd6
File 155338116714.png - (13.36KB , 700x800 , 129-stairs.png )
926978

>try to pick from your "prettier" forms you have in that category as well. Probably female as well since Iron tail said nothing of Reinhold being gay. Idea being that the picture painted of Reinhold is a man of vice so it might be easier to convince him (should we ever actually talk to him) if you're in a form that's easy on the eyes.
Okay, seriously, how many different ways do I have to come up with to say "this is beneath my dignity" before you all take the hint? Stop trying to make me appeal to mortal sexualities to advance my goals.

>Are there still elves around?
"Niklaus, are there still elves around?"

"Huh?" He furrows his brow. "Oh. Yeah, of course, though they tend to keep to their kind and don't usually get along with humans very well. A lot of them went home after they lost the war. The ones that are still here are... the more open-minded ones, shall we say."

>A former capitol is a tempting target for revolution, and the Duke likely oppresses many peoples.
>With such scrutiny you will want to work through agents, which means finding or building an opposition to the current underworld regime.
I like your style, but don't you think you're getting a bit ahead of yourself? You've obviously put more thought into this than usual, but I still don't really know much about the area, and I've established a non-antagonistic relationship with one -- count 'em -- one (1) mortal. Any long-term plans like this are going to be inherently kind of half-baked until I have more mortal contacts and learn about the Empire beyond Kelorus.

>Perhaps you could establish some smuggling? Get some funds and contacts, recruit some of the needy who lack the rats' favour.
>How about employing thugs of your own and training them to usurp their bosses.
Why not just join up with the existing smugglers? Building my own network, especially in direct competition with theirs, sounds like a lot of work and likely to fail. It would be much easier to climb the ranks of an operation that already has their shit together than to try and set up my own with no idea what I'm doing.

Oh, I get it. You want the personal touch. You wanna learn all the little names and all the little stories of the people who work for me. Such a bleeding heart. Or are you just that bored? Well, we can cross that bridge when we come to it.

>You could be the guard.
>It'd be in poor taste to impersonate Griffith, but we did kill another male ratfolk a while ago.
Taste isn't really a concern of mine, but it wouldn't be as useful to me if it was someone anyone around here knew. I'll likely be walking around the manor a lot. I don't want people asking why Griffith has started acting so strange. Better that he stays dead.

>The gnoll drew some eyes so ratfolk would be the better disguise, Niklaus is more likely to have clothing that'll fit him too.
>Him and the gnoll were just travellers, so that gives us the least chance of someone in town recognizing them.
Agreed. Not a bad idea! I'm surprised. The mouse it is, then.
>>
No. 926979 ID: 688dd6
File 155338118010.png - (28.08KB , 700x800 , 130-cellar.png )
926979

>We should ask where the seedier districts are and hang around them, to hopefully catch the red-furred one outside and in the dark.
I'll do that tomorrow.

"Here we are," Niklaus announces, after we descend the stairs into the cellar. "Your... new accommodations. Where will you be sleeping?"

"It's more like... hibernating, Niklaus. I'll just climb into that box. When night falls again, I'll visit you."

"Very well. I'll have the servants move the others and leave some clothes for you during the day. Otherwise, I will give them strict instructions not to come in here. Good night, Dionaea."
>>
No. 926980 ID: 688dd6
File 155338118750.png - (15.41KB , 700x800 , 131-nesting.png )
926980

>>
No. 926981 ID: 688dd6
File 155338119539.png - (2.45KB , 700x800 , 132-drift.png )
926981

Hrmmmmmm...
>>
No. 926982 ID: 688dd6
File 155338120917.png - (1.71KB , 700x800 , 133-slumber.png )
926982

[ END THREAD ONE ]
>>
No. 926983 ID: 2870a3

and it only took six years, yaaay


Delete post []
Password