[Burichan] [Futaba] [Nice] [Pony]  -  [WT]  [Home] [Manage]
[Catalog View] :: [Graveyard] :: [Rules] :: [Quests] :: [Discussions] :: [Wiki]

[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [Last 100 posts]
Posting mode: Reply
Name
Email
Subject   (reply to 879486)
Message
File []
Password  (for post and file deletion)
  • Supported file types are: GIF, JPG, PNG, SWF
  • Maximum file size allowed is 10000 KB.
  • Images greater than 250x250 pixels will be thumbnailed.
  • Currently 40601 unique user posts. View catalog

File 152412786233.png - (16.80KB , 600x400 , dungeoneer_ch5.png )
879486 No. 879486 ID: e56bf6

So soon?!

Where are these people coming from and how are they finding my dungeon?

http://www.tgchan.org/wiki/Dungeoneer
Expand all images
>>
No. 879487 ID: e56bf6
File 152412792559.png - (24.62KB , 800x600 , it_begins.png )
879487

A hero draws near!

No, not one adventurer. More. At least two, but probably not more than two.

We haven't even finished dinner.

I've sensed them a way out but that suggests that they are actively searching for me. I don't know if Liana has even managed to return to town after her stint here as a travelling merchant so there's not enough time for anyone to have gotten directions from her.

There was that explorer though. Liana didn't mention her but if she woke up at the town's Revival Fountain or another one within a few days' travel she may have told others she found a newly founded dungeon.

I think this group is actually slightly weaker than her, a fighter and supporting wizard combination unless I miss my guess. It looks like I won't be having a cat walking in uninvited again at least.
>>
No. 879489 ID: e56bf6
File 152412823069.png - (203.86KB , 800x600 , the_dungeon_bunch.png )
879489

Let me consider who I have.

First of all is my golem body. I have just improved it. I can now consume food to gain mana, benefit from healing magic and drink potions. I can access some of my magic to cast strengthening magic, curses or golemetry spells, however it's unstable and too slow to reliably cast during a fight. I can also absorb clay and loose stone to heal my body and increase its size.

Moriko is weakened, likely due to some internal conflict over her demonic blood that she doesn't know I know about. She's still by far my strongest fighter. She's a mobility based hammer wielder who can boost her attributes to suit the situation and has techniques to predict enemy actions, interrupt them and bash through heavy defences.

Reisarf is still a girl for reasons of stray magic but she can fight fine. My alienist possesses powerful but inaccurate attack magic and debilitating curses. She has a defensive random teleport if attacked but is otherwise quite fragile. She's just gained the ability to bind a second reserve of mana into her body so she has an impressive amount of mana to throw around.

Stargazer is Reisarf's staff and mentor. She helps Reisarf to cast spells, gives a little assistance in aiming and defends her wizard. She can also absorb mana from Reisarf to act independently, transforming her noodly form into something more combat ready. She's just gained the ability to absorb additional mana to transform further but it hasn't been tested yet.

Hin is my blacksmith, a half-ogre and is currently stuck in a slimy form due to a treatment to remove what turned out to be a giant parasitic worm that can swim through flesh. I should be turning her back tomorrow. She should probably sit this out.

Merud is my golemeter. He doesn't have much combat experience but does have useful spells for enhancing golems. He'd be most effective if fighting alongside them - or behind them - but can give some limited support to them if he can use long duration magic on them and then leave the room before adventurers enter.

Speaking of golems, I now have three brute golems. They are somewhat clumsy but they hit very hard. One of them is modified from an older golem by Merud - it's much more agile but not quite as tough. I also have six homunculi. They're quite fast for golems and I should be able to coordinate them effectively. Unlike the brute golems, they can benefit from healing magic and potions.

Chakarchelou is my quasidragon, a big lizard that can breathe smoke and sparks. He'll be a little fiercer if he's protecting his little hoard in the forge. He currently has a Covetous Ring to give him more benefits from hoarding gold but it hasn't shown much effect yet.

Belphejar Doyle is a cauldron gulper. It can produce strong but flawed potion effects from hastily brewing whatever its been fed and spray cursed potion broth at people. Its limit is about two potions unless fed with magical ingredients but I do have a surplus of imp corpses and raw mana. It's vulnerable to being tipped over.

Alkaline is my royal jelly. She's still developing but maybe I should consider giving her a taste of battle. Most pertinently she can collapse into a shadowy puddle of goo, throw globs of dangerous slime and produce weak healing goo, oil or sticky slime. She's currently looking after a pitifully weak slime that was was accidentally created from a severed piece of her body. The little slime needs to be kept away from adventurers and sharp objects in general.

Last of all is the cake mimic. It has the fighting ability of a cake combined with a crab and I can't resurrect it if it dies. It's staying in its cage.
>>
No. 879490 ID: e56bf6
File 152412832441.png - (23.10KB , 800x600 , deems_cool_dungeon.png )
879490

Assuming that it was that cat who told these new invaders where to find me, it might pay to play into their expectations. I'd get more mana that way - anticipation can be quite valuable for stirring up the earth-pulse.

In her own words, it was a "rocks, lizards and spooky things dungeon!"

I hastily threw everything I had at her to stall for my fledgling dungeon while I cast spells on Moriko in my Heart Chamber to create my final defender.

First off I had a basic fighting golem outside which she quickly defeated and Chakarchelou in the entry corridor who she also quickly bombarded with bombs.

I organised slightly more coherent opposition in the old flooded passage. Up top Hin got enhanced by Belphe's potions - stoneskin and enlargement - and promptly got labelled as some sort of troll witch by the invader. After Hin got whittled down by more bombs, the invader waded into the flooded passage.

Reisarf set up a good ambush by creating some ice platforms to stand on while he shot at her. She promptly decided he was some creepy child to beat up. Stargazer was transformed into a giant eel-like form and swimming around in the water undetected then pounced her. Unfortunately the cat had a trump card in the form of a barrier amulet and it took Moriko to put her down in the end.

So in other words a golem, a lizard, a giant 'witch' and her cauldron, a magician plus a aquatic monster and then my final boss were the fights in my dungeon.
>>
No. 879491 ID: e56bf6
File 152412840627.png - (22.45KB , 800x640 , deems_cooler_dungeon.png )
879491

My dungeon has developed a lot since then.

However!

I don't think I can afford to let anyone into my Heart Chamber right now! It's still a complete mess due to that disastrous séance!

I've added the Golem Totem on the entry corridor. It currently has no effect as far as invaders are concerned. It's a small room with corner pillars and a large obstacle in the middle so it's not ideal for fighting in.

On the left just before the locked door to my Heart Chamber is Hin's forge and Chakarchelou's normal lair.

The flooded passage has been replaced with the Thaumatorium, a special room that alters magic cast within. It currently occasionally turns attack spells into healing for the caster. Due to the success of the ice platforms I've retained a deep pool with stepping stones.

The chest at the back has the key to my Heart Chamber so I absolutely need to stop them there.

How should I arrange my forces?
>>
No. 879493 ID: ef2b4c

>>879491

You should grab a table and place it outside with the cake mimic on it, and a servant golem next to the table offering the adventurers a drink. Must've been quite a walk here.
>>
No. 879495 ID: dbf422

If playing with anticipation is good, maybe distribute your forces like they were originally, but as a facade. The slimes but maybe Moriko makes a guest appearance, golems but Merud comes in and coordinates and rallies them, Reisarf with a surprise attack by Belphajar, and you to finish them off if they get that far. That work for the earth pulse?
>>
No. 879496 ID: dbf422

>>879495
Oh right, and I think Chakarchelou should be where he's happiest.
>>
No. 879501 ID: 33cbe7

>I don't think I can afford to let anyone into my Heart Chamber right now!
Good, that means we can crush them before they ever get there! No holding back!

Follow the same general encounter, with the following changes:
-Greet the adventurers with the brute golem pair. They should attempt to utilize their brother Pancake (the door golem) to stall the adventurers.
-Replace Chakarchelou's encounter with Merud and his golem harem (the homunculi and upgraded fighter golems) just outside the golem totem. Merud, try to remember you're posing as a mad scientist and not a gleeful schoolboy.
-Chakarchelou fights alongside Doyle just outside the gymnasium doors, more or less where Hin was. They may be close enough to Merud's fight that Doyle can get a glimpse of what he's up against before turning Chakarchelou into something more fearsome than a frog.
-Divert your reinforcement powers to Reisarf and Stargazer. Moriko is still a capable fighter without your help, and if all goes well they will not enter her chamber anyway.
-Since you'll be in that wing already, use your Gigant Form to appear after Reisarf's encounter. Or during it! You could provide useful cover for them to teleport behind if you can collect enough material, likely from that excavation behind the key.

Can Hin be resurrected safely with the Fixity Bangle attached? I want to put her in the forge room to both stall for time and redirect the adventurers should they choose the left path first, using words instead of violence if possible.
Alkaline needs to keep a constant watch on the gelatin slime and thus must be benched again.
>>
No. 879502 ID: 2120ee

>>879491
Well, if you want to be unfair, here is what you do:

Have Reisarf stand close-ish to the entrance of the thaumatorium and flee into it when (s)he sees the adventurers. Merud and the golems (he should probably be behind the squishiest) will be waiting hidden split between those alcoves the imps/your magic dug, and attack from behind once the adventurers engage with Reisarf and Stargazer at the water. Merud's control should help the otherwise clumsy golems not sink themselves.

Moriko, Chakarchelou, Belphejar, and Alkaline and her pet can sit in the smith area as a last-last line of defense. Couple reasons for this. Moriko isn't likely to appreciate being a part of the ambush going on on the other side, and so we set her as the guardian of our slime princess. It's a task that she can put her will into. Even if they don't fight at all, the experience of being -ready- to fight will help Alkaline. Plus, Alkaline is the least vulnerable to Belph's stray curse goo, so having them on a team is sensible.

Also, if the adventurers do make it that far and off that terrible slime, they're doing us a favor. Alkaline will have to face the facts of sending slimes to their deaths against adventurers sooner or later.
>>
No. 879504 ID: 074011

Open with Belphejar and a Brute. Troll Witch is a bust, Belph may as well go wild. Unless one of the Homunculi can pull off the petrified Troll-witch look?
Regardless, Belph and a golem at the entrance. Belph has too many imps stuffed down its maw hoping for something spooky to come out. The golem Keeps Belph upright and is less vulnerable to potions. Hopefully the adventurers pick up a couple of mild curses that set a tone for their stay.

Can you open locked doors? It would be nice to split up the golem encounter for more rocks.
First corridor encounter is a brute and two humunculi. Can you make the homunculi look like corpses? The brute could be carrying them to its "evil master" and throw the corpses at the party before attacking. Then the corpses get up and attack from behind. Setting up something for them to hit without breaking would help. Clay piles might be enough, or some boxes, even stone ones would break a fall by collapsing.

Reisarf and the Thamatorium is certain. They are too specialised for each other. Slimes might make an alternative later, and you might get another ranged threat someday, but for now...

When they get back to the corridor, Merud is waiting with the remaining homunculi and his personal Brute. Maybe the homunculi look more stony? Merud has been turning people into golems?

Finally the Smithy has Char and Moriko. It is a bit slap-dash, but it should be solid.
Or you could join Moriko. The two of you should work quit well together and Char can be the final encounter.

As for the boss...
Putting the Boss Mode on Moriko would focus on keeping them out of your heart. But with weaker boss enchantments? Also Moriko was boss last time, and the enchantments will be putting a strain on her. Best to save her strength for next time.
Dragon-riding Moriko would be a sight, but a giant Char would be cramped in the smithy. A shrunk Char maybe? With the same net strength plus some enchantments?
Or you could put all the size enchantments on Hin and hope that the adventurers don't notice the state of your heart because there is a wall of slime filling their corner of the room...
Or you could boss mode yourself and focus the boss-mode on terrain deforming, try to personally shove everything under the carpets...

This introduces a bit of an undead theme which is creepy not ideal. Also you want to be true to your theme of the future. Which is rocks and curses and slimy things in dark corners? Everything will be better when Alkaline grows up...
>>
No. 879505 ID: 2007b6

Moriko and Alkaline should guard the key. Stash that noncombatant slime in a crack in the wall behind the key, and close it up with an 'employees only' sealing designation.

Rei and Stargazer in the thaumatorium, of course. Have them focus on defense-in-depth, maybe set up walls of ice between the platforms to make jumping trickier and otherwise delay the intruders rather than attacking directly.

Golem brute squad near the entrance, maybe in the actual golem totem room, to play into that familiarity and get initial intel on the intruders at minimal cost. You and Merud can both lay some buff spells. Maybe focus on magic resistance? Wizards are harder to predict, so intel on them is more valuable.

While Merud is buffing the brute squad, Hin and Belphejar paint a sign on the wall: two big arrows, one pointing left (toward the forge and boss room) labeled "wealth beyond measure" and one pointing right (toward the thaumatorium) labeled "pain, confusion, and doom." Another boost to anticipation, and it'll be fun to see whether they get caught up in second-guessing the sign's accuracy.

Once that setup is in place, Hin and Merud retreat to the forge. Chakarchelou is stationed there as well (of course), along with all the homunculi. Belphejar and Merud stay in back, providing healing and support for the golems. In particular, Merud should be focused on keeping the homunculi from getting in each others' way.

Probably want to put the heaviest reinforcement on Chakarchelou, playing into the figurative and literal fire of a dragon ferociously defending it's lair (which happens to be a forge). Go easy on size boosts, though since that's going to be tight quarters already with so many people.
>>
No. 879506 ID: 2007b6

>>879505
Almost forgot! Deem's golem-body should stay with the brute squad, in the golem totem room. Willingness to take personal risks on the front line goes a long way toward maintaining morale and respect from subordinates, and it's also a last-ditch backup option. Worst case, if these adventurers DO make it through your defenses and plunder the heart chamber, you might be able to pull yourself together (with that clay-absorbing ability) in time to cut off their retreat, salvaging the situation before all that gold actually leaves the dungeon.
>>
No. 879508 ID: d6afc2

>>879491
If we want to spin a narrative:
Make it look like Merud and the Golems made a hostile takeover.
>>
No. 879512 ID: 2fe26a

>>879502
Wow, we want to be unfair to the adventurers, not our slime daughter. Hin can watch over the baby slime in the living room.
Send out Brute+ as greeter again. That will show it's the same dungeon, but bigger and meaner this time.
Have Merud meet them in the middle backing up the two regular brutes. This would be a good time to pester the adventurers for how they heard about the- no, his dungeon.
Back Chak up in the forge with the homunculi. Draw out as many of the adventurers' trump cards as possible and for the earth pulse's sake, don't clump up and get taken out by an AoE spell.
Help Alkaline and Doyle lay an ambush in the cisterns. Doyle can eat some imps and use the brew to put debuffs on the adventurers, so they affect more than one encounter. A stockpile of Bad Eggs will serve up some poetic justice. (Hopefully neither of those count as spells.)
Deem and Moriko, help Reisarf and Stargazer protect the chest. 4 on 2's not exactly playing nice, but I'm sure the earth pulse will forgive you if their deaths are flashy enough. While you're at it, shove the chest into the alcove so there's just that much more ground they have to cover.
I'm torn between reinforcing Reisarf again and reinforcing Alkaline. Both have proven fearsome fighters under your influence but... oh right, Reisarf's reinforcement involved going shirtless. I pick that one!
It won't displease the earth pulse if you leave the boss room empty, will it? If worst comes to worst, you should recall your body early in order to be ready for a second encounter.
>>
No. 879518 ID: 166e1c

Since the key is effectively the treasure to be defended, the Thaumatorium is the temporary Boss Room. The first thing we should do is make another dumb door and place it's key in the forge with the small treasure.
For consistence and to repeat a promising strategy Reisarf and Stargazer will be the bosses.
Chakarchelou will defend his hoard and the new boss key. Although it won't be thematically appropriate, he will need some assistance to balance how much reward he offer. I say he should be guarded by the two brutes, together to avoid repeated encounters.
Since the quasidragon is supposed to be the second encounter the first one should be a golem similar to the original guard. The one modified by Merud is very similar and just slightly more threatening, what will help support the catgirl version of the events. This time let's put our first encounter in the corridor between the rooms instead of the entrance.
Can Moriko and Merud still coordinate golem extensions? If not let's pair Moriko with Deem instead. Either way Moriko and someone else hide outside the dungeon and ambush them after the invaders defeat Chakarchelou. Alkaline can accompany them if she want.
Deem or Merud, depending on the previous pairing, will be at the Thaumatorium with Belphejar and the six homunculi, right in front of the entrance, for a sub-boos fight. Our new golems are far less likely to complain at the side effects of the living cauldron potions.
Empowered Reisarf will watch the fight from the other end of the room and empowered Stargazer will swim until the invaders get close to the pool or attack Reisarf.
Hin will look after the weak slime if Alkaline decide to participate.
>>
No. 879526 ID: b1b4f3

>>879491
Chakarchelou, Doyle, and Alkaline can fight in the Forge room. Alkaline should try to use Shadow Slick to grab the wizard. Doyle can reinforce Chakarchelou and hit the fighter with some harmful potion effect.
This is mainly a training battle for Alkaline. After the Shadow Slick she should practice using a variety of abilities, see what works best.

Put all your golems in that big hallway, with Merud enhancing them. This might be enough sheer mass to bring down the adventurers. The brutes can keep the fighter occupied while the smaller golems swarm the wizard.

Have Moriko and Reisarf/Stargazer in the Thaumatorium. That's enough combined firepower to take out the party on its own, really.
>>
No. 879565 ID: 074011

I council Alkaline and Doyle being separate. Alkaline is prone to drinking anything she steps in, and is one of Doyle's favourite foods. I see them as a great Team Alchemical someday, but they have yet to even brew their first potion together.
No! Stop! Innuendo, I love you, but not here, not now, not like this!
>>
No. 879579 ID: 33cbe7

>>879565
Have a little faith your minions. Deem's already distilled the fear of Deem into that cauldron. Alkaline also has a powerful ability to turn negative effects into positive ones.
>>
No. 879581 ID: 0e2ebe

>>879579
I forget, but was that curse reverse power constant or random? I have this feeling it's not reliable, save for her luck.
>>
No. 879601 ID: 18b150

>>879581
I think it's random conversion.
>>
No. 879604 ID: d8ce3a

>>879491
You really need to add some more rooms before he heart chamber, it makes it quite a pain to try and keep interlopers away from it.

As for arrangements, I say group up Merud and the Brute Golems, and hope that his support will offset their clumsiness. I guess they'd be the first round of defense, so for lack of a better option either in the Totem room, or in the hall right off of it, assuming that counts as a separate area from the forge and thaumatorium.

Moriko, Reisarf and Stargazer can team up in the Thaumatorium. Moriko doesnt use attack spells really, so she can be the decisive striker, And focus on jumping around and keeping the intruder off the platforms when she can while the dynamic duo take shots at them. Both Stargaze and Reisarf can probably last a lot longer then usual due to the latter's secondary mana pool, and the random healing, and if need be, Stargazer can take her transformed states and also give Moriko an mobility boost by acting as a moving platform for her as well as fighting. If they can make it a fight of attrition, I dont see them losing.

the Last Group in the forge I think should be Deem, Chak, Belphajar, and a few homunculi golems to support Belph. The Homunculi and Deem can also benefit from potions now, so the can alternate fighting and feeding him ingredients as needed. Deem can probably buff either Chak or Belph or both, Size and speed buffs should work.

The slime team can stay in the safe room, Hin is still weakened, and Alkaline is preoccupied with the derp slime and hasnt finished her combat training yet.
>>
No. 879617 ID: 0e2ebe

>>879601
Then it's better to not chance it. I'm on board for careful training for her and Belphy, though it's not time to plan anything long term.
>>
No. 879656 ID: 18b150

I just want to say, as someone who heard about this quest a couple days ago, that it's great, you're great, all things related to it are great, and Alkaline is best girl.
>>
No. 880609 ID: e56bf6
File 152465372069.png - (26.72KB , 600x750 , Team_Cosmic_Impact.png )
880609

>Send out Brute+ as greeter again. That will show it's the same dungeon, but bigger and meaner this time.
Right, it's already waiting at the Golem totem anyway. I send it to the entrance.

>Can you open locked doors? It would be nice to split up the golem encounter for more rocks.
No. Once they've been locked they stay locked until the adventurers are gone or they've used the key.

>You really need to add some more rooms before he heart chamber, it makes it quite a pain to try and keep interlopers away from it.
Yes, I know. They currently have to go through every room in the dungeon bar the Resurrection Matrix but that's clearly not enough.

>Put all your golems in that big hallway, with Merud enhancing them. This might be enough sheer mass to bring down the adventurers. The brutes can keep the fighter occupied while the smaller golems swarm the wizard.
>The forge I think should be Deem, Chak, Belphajar, and a few homunculi golems to support Belph.
>Moriko, Chakarchelou, Belphejar, and Alkaline and her pet can sit in the smith area as a last-last line of defense.
I don't think some of you have a very clear idea of how much space I have to play with. Also I have no control over whether the invaders visit the forge first or the thaumatorium and I should hold someone back to act act as my final guardian should everything else fail. But I'll finalise placements in a moment.

>Have Moriko and Reisarf/Stargazer in the Thaumatorium. That's enough combined firepower to take out the party on its own, really.
>Moriko, Reisarf and Stargazer can team up in the Thaumatorium. Moriko doesn't use attack spells really, so she can be the decisive striker, And focus on jumping around and keeping the intruder off the platforms when she can while the dynamic duo take shots at them. Both Stargaze and Reisarf can probably last a lot longer then usual due to the latter's secondary mana pool, and the random healing, and if need be, Stargazer can take her transformed states and also give Moriko an mobility boost by acting as a moving platform for her as well as fighting. If they can make it a fight of attrition, I don't see them losing.

"Is something the matter, Deem?" Merud asks me.

"Yes, adventurers!"

"Already?"

"Yes! A warrior and a wizard supporting him, I think. Seeing the state of my Heart Chamber, we need to stop them before they get that far. Reisarf, Stargazer, Moriko, I need you three in the thaumatorium."

They put their bowls down and get to their feet. Reisarf checks her shirt to see she didn't spill anything on it.

Since Doyle and I won't be there, there's no magical aid to take into account but I won't be able to give them any advice once they leave this room.

Moriko's good against anything - she's mobile, can potentially interrupt spells as they're being cast and breaks heavy defences. Reisarf's set up well to fight from the platforms in the pool. The only worry is friendly fire due to her low accuracy. She also has curses to weaken enemies. Stargazer mainly supports Reisarf.

The main decisions to be made tactically are who should focus on fighting who and whether Stargazer should use her Independent Action immediately or save it for part way through the fight.
>>
No. 880611 ID: 33cbe7

>Reisarf checks her shirt to see she didn't spill anything on it.
Suuuure.

Geek the mage first, of course. They should be Moriko's primary target.
Reisarf, focus on using your spells to limit enemy mobility, primarily the fighter's, rather than trying to hit them directly. If you can separate the adventurers or cut off their escape they'll be easier targets for Moriko. Try not to overdo it on the formlessness curse, hammerai techniques aren't so effective on slimes.
Stargazer should stick with Reisarf at the start to assist in aiming, then split up if things start going south.

Do you plan on keeping yourself in reserve for the final boss, then? Seems that whoever you reinforce (unless it's yourself) can only make it to the forge room or stay here with the time allotted.
>>
No. 880613 ID: ad51b8

going to have to say that Moriko should focus on the mage since they are kinda glass cannons and it should limit the fighter if he doesn't have his support.

Reisarf/Stargazer should stick together until things start falling apart as it could be nice ace up our sleeve that could catch the adventurers flat footed and give us the win. But while they're together they should try to get the parties attention and bog them down with spells and curses. If they need to split up though Reisarf should just hurl spells out while Stargazer flanks.

Plan of attack I have is to have Moriko hide somewhere if she can then when the adventures enter the room and start fighting Reisarf/Stargazer. The warrior should move in to try and take Reisarf down. That's when Moriko should enter the battle herself and hopefully catch the mage unguarded and surprised enough to be taken out quickly. Failing that hopefully we'd split the party enough that Moriko can get some blows in before it just devolves into fight between two warriors backed by mages.
>>
No. 880616 ID: dbf422

Yeah, Reisarf limiting the fighter and Moriko separating then demolishing the mage sounds good.
>>
No. 880618 ID: 10c408

>>880611
The duo aren't marching directly to our doorstep, they don't know where it is. We've got some time.

As for combat advice for moriko and Reisarf. Tell them to focus down one of the pair, which one that bites it doesn't really matter. Bonus points if they can reveal any enemy secrets like healing potions or things like that.

As for every one else. Doyle, Alkaline and Hin are 2/3rds support staff and 1/3rd effectively on bed rest, so usher them into the resurrection matrix so they don't get involved.

Put chaka in the forge along with two homuncli for backup.

The remainder of your golems should go in the heart chamber for the final showdown and also to clean it up using the homunculi golems so tidying it up is a breeze)
>>
No. 880619 ID: 2007b6

Remind Rei to only start using direct attack spells after being injured at least a little bit. Make the healing conversion look intentional.
>>
No. 880624 ID: a62780

>>880609
I think Moriko should focus on punishing the caster while Reisarf's teleportation powers and Stargazer support stop their fighter from doing the same.

This gives the adventurers the decision between saving their nerd or letting Reisarf curse away unimpeded.
>>
No. 880647 ID: b1b4f3

>>880609
If friendly fire is an issue, then Reisarf should open up with a bunch of spells at the start then switch to curses and Independent Action to support Moriko once the enemies draw close.
>>
No. 880671 ID: 074011

Moriko doesn't even need to defeat the mage, just threatening them can keep the fighter defending. Reisarf has the thaumatorium supporting their defences, so the same shouldn't hold true for the challengers, barring some sort of punchingolem wizard... Even with friendly fire, bomarding the area should be a net win.

Remind them all that they are on a team. Reisarf should mind Moriko's position. Moriko shouldn't try to win by herself. Stargazer should focus on pressuring them with Moriko rather than protecting Reisarf.

Sadly, you will need to limit your appetite if you want to keep them out of your core. Epic struggles get the mana flowing, but it is methodical slaughter that holds the line.
>>
No. 880695 ID: 3abd97

Considering we have a bevy of golems, your avatar included, who benefiet from potions, we should probably see what Belphe can whip up quick. A buffed up golem team could make a good ambush, reinforcements, or possibly form the basis of a boss encounter (yourself, supported with minions).

>Reisarf checks her shirt to see she didn't spill anything on it.
I'm sure that's it.

If she's going to be that way, maybe she needs a skimpy outfit to distract adventurers into making a mistake? ...hmmm. Better not, too much change she distracts herself.

>Alkaline is my royal jelly. She's still developing but maybe I should consider giving her a taste of battle. Most pertinently she can collapse into a shadowy puddle of goo, throw globs of dangerous slime and produce weak healing goo, oil or sticky slime
Hit and run tactics might be good? Have her harry them. Puddle come out of hiding spot, she pops up, goo-throws from their six or their flank, then back to the puddle and run / hide. Have her be their shadow, ready to pop up at the worst moment.

Maybe stick poor Explodey with Hin, since neither of them are fit to fight right now.
>>
No. 880793 ID: e56bf6
File 152474994712.png - (44.60KB , 800x600 , wild_adventurers_live_in_tall_grass.png )
880793

>Stargazer should stick with Reisarf at the start to assist in aiming, then split up if things start going south.
Makes sense.

>Have Moriko hide somewhere if she can
I don't think she'd approve of making a sneak attack under these circumstances.

>Remind them all that they are on a team. Reisarf should mind Moriko's position. Moriko shouldn't try to win by herself. Stargazer should focus on pressuring them with Moriko rather than protecting Reisarf.
"I need you three to work together. Be mindful of each others' situations and don't try to do everything yourselves."

>Remind Rei to only start using direct attack spells after being injured at least a little bit. Make the healing conversion look intentional.
"Reisarf, I want you to focus on curses at first. The thaumatorium will occasionally provide healing instead of attack magic so that'll be wasted if you aren't hurt."

"Will I need a new haircut if that happens?" Reisarf asks me.

Did I manage to stop the Resurrection Matrix from doing that? My memory's a little fuzzy. "Try not to die." I tell her.

>I think Moriko should focus on punishing the caster while Reisarf's teleportation powers and Stargazer support stop their fighter from doing the same.
>This gives the adventurers the decision between saving their nerd or letting Reisarf curse away unimpeded.
"They'll focus on bogging down the fighter while you harass the mage, Moriko. Reisarf, let Stargazer join in the fight once you've started to wear them down."

Moriko nods. I guess she used up her words for the day this morning.

>If Reisarf's going to be that way, maybe she needs a skimpy outfit to distract adventurers into making a mistake? ...hmmm. Better not, too much change she distracts herself.
Do you think I keep a supply of skimpy outfits on hand?

>The duo aren't marching directly to our doorstep, they don't know where it is. We've got some time.
Outside, the grass rustles. The adventurers emerge. In the lead is a heavily armoured warrior, carrying a variety of weapons. Most prominently I spot a war pick slung over his shoulder. Presumably for fighting golems and other tough bodied things.

"Think this is the place?" he says over his shoulder.

"Mmmm." his companion says. A wizard. Also a cat. Judging by the blackened staff she's carrying, possibly a pyromancer?

I usher Reisarf, Stargazer and Moriko to the Heart Chamber's door. "They're here! Get in position!"
>>
No. 880794 ID: e56bf6
File 152475012207.png - (18.44KB , 800x600 , reference_deem_provided_for_scale.png )
880794

The adventurers will be fighting the enhanced brute golem in a matter of seconds so I need to get the rest of my defenders out the door and lock down my Heart Chamber immediately!

>Sadly, you will need to limit your appetite if you want to keep them out of your core. Epic struggles get the mana flowing, but it is methodical slaughter that holds the line.
I don't believe they can win, but I don't want to take too many risks testing that. Moriko and Reisarf are probably enough but it'd be preferable to soften those adventurers up first.

>Do you plan on keeping yourself in reserve for the final boss, then? Seems that whoever you reinforce (unless it's yourself) can only make it to the forge room or stay here with the time allotted.
I should hold someone back in the Heart Chamber, just in case.

>Maybe stick poor Explodey with Hin, since neither of them are fit to fight right now.
She's more of an Edibley.

>Considering we have a bevy of golems, your avatar included, who benefit from potions, we should probably see what Belphe can whip up quick. A buffed up golem team could make a good ambush, reinforcements, or possibly form the basis of a boss encounter (yourself, supported with minions).
>Hit and run tactics might be good for Alkaline? Have her harry them. Puddle come out of hiding spot, she pops up, goo-throws from their six or their flank, then back to the puddle and run / hide. Have her be their shadow, ready to pop up at the worst moment.
Those could both work.

There's limited remaining space to work with.

The Golem Totem is the smallest room in my dungeon. I could fit up to two of my denizens in there. Anything past that and it'll start getting too cramped to fight effectively.

The smithy is a little larger but even then I shouldn't go through past three. It's closer to the entry than the thaumatorium but I don't know which room they'll visit first. I think I will at least put Chakarchelou here to defend his gold.

Lastly, I could have my denizens fight up to three abreast in the hallway, or just two for ones who need more space to move. I have very few ranged attackers at the moment however.

I don't have to fill up every room but I should give the invaders at least one fight between the entrance and thaumatorium just to test their mettle.
>>
No. 880795 ID: 33cbe7

>Do you think I keep a supply of skimpy outfits on hand?
You do now! One of the homunculi can go naked if need be.

Stick the other brutes in the totem. Have Merud reinforce them but stay outside to retreat to golem gang two.
The homunculi can form a phalanx in the east hall.
You don't need your body to channel reinforcements, right? Let's have you, Chak and Alkaline in the forge while Doyle prepares for a boss fight (that doubles as gelatin-clearing duty).
>>
No. 880796 ID: 074011

You have cats...
One pussy showing up is happenstance, but three? You only know of the one settlement, and they knew nothing of these kitties and now they are everywhere?
There is a settlement you do not know of. You have a feline infestation in your forests...

Potion lucky-dip! Belph must have something cooking. It should be a breeze for your amazing self to tell if they are bane or boon in an instant, and that is enough to get them in the field.

Alkaline is Johnny-on-the-spot with the potions. She stays hidden and tops people up or throws a toxin if she can do so without notice.
>>
No. 880798 ID: dbf422

Obvious golem threat and stealth slime in the hallway seems like a fun way to kick things off.
>>
No. 880802 ID: 10c408

Hmm. Okay, let's reserve the last two brutes for the final showdown and one of the homuncli.

The other three can be split up as follows.

Put one in the forge to provide backup for chaka.

Alkaline and the remaining two can station themselves in the passage between the forge and the thaumatorium. In fact, put the two golems at the thaumatorium side of the passage, give one of them your knife and have them pose like they both have knives. the knife armed one should go for the wizard. Have Alkaline hide as a puddle near the forge doorway and engage when the duo turn their attention to the golems.
>>
No. 880804 ID: 2007b6

Chakarchelou and your avatar go in the forge. If the adventurers head for the thaumatorium first, that gives you maximum setup time for dragon-theme reinforcement magic to hold the line. If they hit the forge first, you're buying Merud time for last-minute golem upgrades.

Merud and Alkaline hide way back in the deeper side passage, with brutes in front of them, while Belphejar is in the shallower side passage, and two ranks of homunculi in the hallway. Homunculi in front try to dogpile the fighter, maybe get the wizard to spend an expensive area-effect spell before the real main force is in play, then Belphejar steps out to buff or heal them, or spray nasty goo on the wizard from a flanking position. Brutes in back receive buffs and guidance from Merud to hit whatever weak points become apparent, Alkaline gets more practice as rear-echelon leadership and Bad Egg grenadier.
>>
No. 880812 ID: b1b4f3

>>880794
You could set up a pincer attack at the hallway. If possible Alkaline could hide in the totem room to block the door behind them(is the door set up with a mechanism that can be blocked?), otherwise I suppose you'll just have to let them retreat if they want to... but Alkaline could still ambush them as they attempt a retreat? Instead of Alkaline hiding and potentially being spotted, she could just sneak past the adventurers with Shadow Slick as they exit and harry them from behind to try to convince them to stay away from the door.

Big brutes in the hallway with Merud behind them on one side. Doyle behind the alchemical golems on the other side.
>>
No. 880835 ID: 074011

Cover the most basic of basics of slime-care with Hin.
If she were to, say, feed it soup, and it became over-hydrated and lost cohesion, then Alkaline would have difficulties trusting you or Hin in the future. Hin already hurt you once by trying to be helpful, and her current body is unfamiliar and that slime is... less resilient than your heart.
>>
No. 880836 ID: 0d1514

>>880793
The great thing about skimpy outfits is that a normal outfit can be converted into a skimpy outfit with a knife and a moments notice!

Hide at least one enhanced golem in the crack in the thaumatorium to ambush them from behind when they focus on Moriko and Rei. Wait- ask Moriko about that. Hammurai have a code of honor after all.
>>
No. 880841 ID: ad51b8

so Chakarchelou will be in the smithy then to defend his gold?

If so I say put Belphe in their with him with one of you homunculi to be supported by the potions that Belphe can spit out, while having the other three homunculi in the hallway also with some potions that Belphe spit out. Granted the hallway ones will only be able to be boasted by the potions they grab before the fighting begins but lone homunculi in the smithy could keep getting buffed by Belphe along with Chakarchelou to hopefully wear the pair down enough either by whittling down their health making Moriko and Reisarf/Stargazer job easier or at least by having the mage waste enough energy that they won't be able to cast as much during the fight.
>>
No. 881418 ID: e56bf6
File 152497231581.png - (34.02KB , 750x600 , golem_guards.png )
881418

>You don't need your body to channel reinforcements, right?
That's exactly what I need. I can only use magic on something near my Heart or my golem body.

>Stick the other brutes in the totem.
Right, Chakarchelou will appreciate the extra muscle defending his hoard.

>>Do you think I keep a supply of skimpy outfits on hand?
>You do now! One of the homunculi can go naked if need be.
I don't think so.

>The great thing about skimpy outfits is that a normal outfit can be converted into a skimpy outfit with a knife and a moments notice!
That doesn't seem sustainable.

>The homunculi can form a phalanx in the east hall.
I've got a few random weapons pieced together from playing around with my stoneforging, it's not exactly a phalanx. I'll just send three golems so I have a workforce after the fight and to reduce the temptation for the invaders to drop a fireball on them.

"Should I be doing anything?" Merud asks.

"We need to get all the golems back on their feet after the fight and that'll be easier if you're not sick from resurrection." I grab my knife wielding homunculus by the shoulders and thrust it at him. "Use your magic on this one though."

>Belphejar steps out to buff or heal them, or spray nasty goo on the wizard from a flanking position. Brutes in back receive buffs and guidance from Merud to hit whatever weak points become apparent, Alkaline gets more practice as rear-echelon leadership and Bad Egg grenadier.
I turn to my little royal jelly. "Alkaline, take these three golems and Belphe to the hallway and defend it. You're the boss."

"Boss!" Alkaline clenches her fists in excitement and runs off to find her whupping stick.
>>
No. 881419 ID: e56bf6
File 152497239132.png - (35.35KB , 800x500 , mexicat_standoff.png )
881419

>You have cats...
>One pussy showing up is happenstance, but three? You only know of the one settlement, and they knew nothing of these kitties and now they are everywhere?
>There is a settlement you do not know of. You have a feline infestation in your forests...
I don't think the warrior's one - the helmet ears are in the wrong place. Also there's that one catman who I almost recruited, there clearly is a settlement within a few days' travel of here.

Speaking of which, I need to check on my brute golem.

"Watch out, golem!" The wizard puts his hand up to tell the wizard to keep back. My golem slowly lifts one of its oversized hands and waves.

"Did your sister say it was that big? I don't think she did."

"Nnnn." His companion doesn't seem to talk much.

"Strange, she's never one to understate things."

"Mmmm."

The warrior takes a step forward. "It's got a lot of reach and she said it was tricksy, going to give a little help?"

"Nyah."

She baps him on the head with her staff. He suddenly shoots up in height. An expansion spell. A flickering core of light starts orbiting her staff. Leftover mana. Definitely a pyromancer then. That's something to be wary of. Those embers can be used up to empower spells. I guess their plan is to use support magic to ease the warrior through the opening fights and burn up their big attacks on serious opposition.

Wait, they're fighting. Agh, he's fast!

That means I need to get the door to my Heart Chamber locked right now so I need my remaining defenders in position!
>>
No. 881420 ID: e56bf6
File 152497250071.png - (23.60KB , 600x750 , belphe_bully.png )
881420

Alkaline, what are you doing?

"No Alkaline, Doyle's not for riding."

She looks at me. "But boss?"

I think I'll need to give her a formation and advice. I can have her stay behind the homunculi at the start and throw Bad Eggs or try to ambush with her Shadow Slick.

Next how to use Belphe's potions. Its stronger at boosting its allies than weakening its enemies. It's been eating a fair few magical ingredients (mainly imps and slime milk) so I should be able to get a decent selection of magical effects out of it to enhance the homunculi, Alkaline or possibly both. I could go for lots of strengthening effects at the start or hold back some for healing or changing strategy.
>>
No. 881421 ID: 5fd619

>>881420
She's just incapable of not being adorable, isn't she?
>>
No. 881422 ID: b53bd0

don't be too hard on her, she probably saw you riding the other brute and assumed riding things was a boss thing.

at any rate just explain that belph can't spit if she is on his lid.
>>
No. 881423 ID: b1b4f3

>>881420
Let's try having her use Shadow Slick. ...also she may need something better than that stick.

Since we don't know all the tricks the adventurers can put out, have some effects on reserve to adapt.
>>
No. 881424 ID: 0e2ebe

The adventurers are starting with lots of buffs, hoping to get through the start easily. I'd say matching them with your own strength buffs would wear them down a lot faster than they expect.
>>
No. 881425 ID: e56bf6
File 152497347593.png - (14.41KB , 640x560 , belphe_corrections.png )
881425

Oops, dropped the ball on the proofreading this time.

Most importantly, the brutes are with Chakarchelou in the forge. I grabbed the wrong quote.

This is probably Doyle's fault
>>
No. 881429 ID: 10c408

Doyle ahould save some juice to adapt mid-fight. Alkaline should use shadow slick so that wizard can't just stand idly by and solve whole fights just by buffing the fighter.
>>
No. 881431 ID: 0e2ebe

>>881425
Mean :(
>>
No. 881432 ID: 0d1514

>>881420
Have the three golems arranged in front of Belph and make him look like the boss while Alkaline shadow slicks behind them for an ambush. Start with a bad egg barrage then see if she can goo the mage to death. This setup is bad for taking out the warrior, tho.
>>
No. 881433 ID: 0d1514

>>881420
Also explain that Belph's mouth is up there and he needs to be able to open it. That's why you can't ride him.
>>
No. 881436 ID: 2007b6

> Definitely a pyromancer
Doyle should focus on potions of fire resistance. Save the complicated strategizing for when you've got more time to prepare.
> giant warrior armed with a pick
Maybe make the homunculi slightly larger and stronger to match, and add some sort of tar-baby effect to snare the weapon after a hit? Plays into the slime theme.
>instructions for Alkaline
Cauldron-throne could be an interesting thematic concept, actually. Have Alkaline pretend that the troll witch (Hin) was usurped by her former minions (Belphejar) and experiments (Alkaline herself) while recovering from wounds inflicted by that previous adventurer. Makes the wizard's sister's actions that much more significant, even though she was ultimately unsuccessful. The idea that this is a dynamic environment they can leave their own lasting mark on ought to really help get the Earth Pulse pounding, no?
>>
No. 881463 ID: 074011

>drop a fireball on homunculi
It should take a very intense flame to damage clay. Is their hair flammable?
Belphejar is a cooking pot. A cooking pot with vital organs and sensitive concoctions, but still heat resistant. Alkaline could use fire resistance against blasts, but it likely won't be enough if they sight and focus her.
Strength potions would stop the fighter from overwhelming them.
Fire-breath potions could cook the corridor, the pyromancer would be discouraged from adding to that and fighter would lose endurance... Imp-juice is a source of fire?

Shove some glue eggs down Belph postbuffing, for some sticky potion to sludge the fighter, and a visible source of glue to hide Alkaline's sneaky gluing.

Would it benefit Alkaline to feign being a chemical spill from alchemy?

>Sitting on Belphejar Doyle's mouth.
He? eats magic and renders it to fluid, she is a magical fluid. It would be like asking her to carry the cake mimic inside herself in an air pocket. We trust each other and know nothing bad will happen, but it is unwise, but mostly impolite.
Congratulate her on those legs though, they are really well defined! Can she jump with them?
>>
No. 881465 ID: dbf422

>>881436
To be honest, her arriving on a throne dressed as a queen is pretty aesthetic.
>>
No. 881470 ID: 33cbe7

>>881418
Heart *or* golem body. So that's a no, you could send one of them ahead while you reinforce the boss. But since you're staying behind, it's a moot point.
For formation, have Alkaline fighting ahead of the golems while Doyle provides support from the back.
Alkaline, stop teasing the poor pot. He's going to buff you and the golems so you can go to town on the adventurers. Use your Shadow Slick to flank them and pepper them with Bad Eggs. Watch out for your core when fighting - the fighter came prepared to pierce armor.
Have Doyle buff the club wielding golem with one potion and Alkaline with the other. I suggest something speedy to counter the fighter's spell of biggity. Alkaline's curse inversion may mitigate the side effects.
Another reason to suggest speed potions is because Doyle will be retreating early to go find imp corpses and come back, if he can, so he can reload.
>>
No. 881471 ID: 33cbe7

>>881470
Oh, is there a bit of a windup to the Bad Egg attack? If I had to pick between Bad Egg and Shadow Slick, the quick slick would win out.
>>
No. 881524 ID: 3abd97

>She looks at me. "But boss?"
Yes, you're the boss, but Doyle can't make potions with you blocking his lid.

>potions
You know, since the homunculi can drink potions but aren't actually living organics, you might be able to get away with double-edged potions. Things that come with a buff and a side effect, but the side effect doesn't matter as much to a golem as it would to an ordinary person.

I think strengthening effects are good.

Fireproofing especially, since we know they have a pyromancer. If possible, it'd be nice to bait her into wasting mana on a big fire attack only to then discover we protected against that.
>>
No. 881580 ID: d8ce3a

>>881420
Speaking of Strengthening, is there any way we can have Alkaline access some water during the fight? Besides the potential mass increase, it might be useful to have her able to hose the pyromancer down in the middle of casting a spell once or twice.
>>
No. 881670 ID: 09e13b

I think using shadow slick to ambush would be the most useful.

Additionally, I would save at least some of Doyle's juice for when we know more about the heros' strategies. Buffs are great, but having a specific counter to the enemy's strategy is probably more valuable that a generic boost.

>It should take a very intense flame to damage clay.
It's WET clay, though, isn't it? Doesn't clay tend to become hard and rigid when exposed to fire? Even if that doesn't kill golems, it seems like their bodies hardening wold make them very vulnerable to other attacks.
>>
No. 881671 ID: 074011

Fire can kill golems, especially homunculi, but not as quickly as it will kill nearly anything else?
>>
No. 881696 ID: dcc125

why aren't we all just rushing these dweebs at once? switch it up with a knuckledown frree for all brawl!
>>
No. 881700 ID: 10c408

>>881696
That's not how things are run here. You must be new.
>>
No. 881708 ID: dbf422

>>881700
I mean, that's not just not procedure, that'd be a cluster fuck. Tiny areas, friendly fire, a probably AoE heavy pyromancer...
>>
No. 881713 ID: 074011

>>881696
The goal is not to win, but instead to feed Deem. Deem eats glorious feats of grandeur, epic struggles, final acts of desperation, passionate confrontations... whatever gets The Earth Pulse buzzing. Of course, this ought currently be tempered to keep them out of the embarrassing boss room. Even then, rushing them might give Deem a bad reputation.

Deem might benefit from, when they take one path at her T-intersection, the group from the alternate path advance and hit them from behind while they are still recovering. Not two fights at once, but stringing them together into one really long fight...
>>
No. 881789 ID: 18b150

>>881696
You don't group up against a blaster wizard, friend. Especially not when you've got your own blaster wizard who replaced aim with enthusiasm.
>>
No. 881895 ID: df92f2

>>881420
Y'know, alkaline could probably use Doyle's lid as a shield and kick him into their midst bubbling and spewing hazardous liquids everywhere.
>>
No. 881904 ID: 10c408

>>881895
pfftahahaha yeah I'm sure alkaline has the mass to knock over doyle with impunity. And even if she could, that'd leave him easy pickings for the warrior on top of expending all of his liquid capacity for something that probably won't work.
>>
No. 882450 ID: d8ce3a

>>881895
No bullying Doyle! And the last thing Deem would want to do is teach Alkaline to bully, she'd just make herself a target with how easy it is!
>>
No. 882461 ID: 074011

Poor Alkaline. She can fling mud with the best of them, but doesn't have the backbone to take it...
>>
No. 890153 ID: 81d03b
File 153001357474.png - (24.34KB , 800x550 , the_time_has_come_the_golem_said.png )
890153

>No bullying Doyle! And the last thing Deem would want to do is teach Alkaline to bully, she'd just make herself a target with how easy it is!
Excuse me?

>She's just incapable of not being adorable, isn't she?
We'll have to see if she can keep pulling that off in a battle.

>I think using Shadow Slick to ambush would be the most useful.
Yes, her taking down the wizard would be quite an achievement! I hope she can get some good hits in.

>Y'know, Alkaline could probably use Doyle's lid as a shield and kick him into their midst bubbling and spewing hazardous liquids everywhere.
Alkaline is physically strong for a slime, which isn't that impressive in the scheme of things. And Doyle's more effective boosting my other denizens.

>Don't be too hard on her, she probably saw you riding the other brute and assumed riding things was a boss thing.
>At any rate just explain that Belphe can't spit if she is on his lid.
I don't think so, it must be an independent innovation.

"No Alkaline, Belphe needs to be able to use potions and that can't happen if you're sitting on him."

She shifts around to try and find a position that might let Doyle open a crack. I hold up a finger to make a counterpoint. "I've got something very important that you need to do instead."

Slipping off, Alkaline comes to my side. I put a hand on her shoulder to maintain the correct spacing. "I need you to be very quiet and clever. Those golems and Belphe are the distraction. When the invaders are distracted by them, I need you to sneak up on the one in the green dress and treat her like a very big imp. Now go and look for a place to hide as a shadow near the forge door."

She races out, making a muffled, high pitched squeal of excitement.

I hope it all works out.
>>
No. 890154 ID: 81d03b
File 153001367589.png - (35.59KB , 900x450 , big_punch.png )
890154

Doyle rocks in place, not sure if he should amble after her or wait for further instructions. I pick up a spare imp carcass and feed it to him.

>Fireproofing especially, since we know they have a pyromancer. If possible, it'd be nice to bait her into wasting mana on a big fire attack only to then discover we protected against that.
>Strength potions would stop the fighter from overwhelming them.
"Doyle, I want you to try and provide some fire resistance and strength enhancement. Can you do that?"

He does a jittery little dance on the spot. I think he's insulted.

Outside my advanced brute golem is struggling. The fighter is very good at knocking its punches off target and landing hits on its torso before getting back out of reach. No particularly damaging ones but I think he's being cautious to avoid injury.

His friend is just watching.

>Additionally, I would save at least some of Doyle's juice for when we know more about the heroes' strategies. Buffs are great, but having a specific counter to the enemy's strategy is probably more valuable that a generic boost.
"I want you to hold some potion in reserve too, in case they have something we're not expecting. I'll leave that to your discretion." I give him a little nudge with my shoe. "We don't have much time, get out there."

He races off.
>>
No. 890155 ID: 81d03b
File 153001381394.png - (32.99KB , 800x600 , fight_all_these_guys.png )
890155

My door guard is defeated. Nothing but a few grazes to the fighter. I would have liked to have learnt a little more about their capabilities but that was an acceptable delay provided considering it was unsupported. That thermal expansion spell has worn off at least.

They come into the hall, pause to look around and move right, seeing Doyle and my trio of spell and potion enhanced golems waiting for them at the end. Mild potion side affects, mainly some skin discolouration by the looks of it. The lead golem is enhanced by Merud's magic as well. I feel the earth-pulse quickening as the invaders square off against my denizens. I hope they put in a good performance.

>Fire can kill golems, especially homunculi, but not as quickly as it will kill nearly anything else?
Their materials may be durable but the force animating them is fragile compared to the vitality of a living creature.

>Speaking of Strengthening, is there any way we can have Alkaline access some water during the fight? Besides the potential mass increase, it might be useful to have her able to hose the pyromancer down in the middle of casting a spell once or twice.
No time. I should think about adding a pool somewhere if I want slimes taking advantage of that.

"More golems and a witch's cauldron." the fighter comments, striding forward to interpose himself between them and his pyromancer friend.

"Mmmmm." she replies.

"Where's the witch?"

My mace wielding golem cautiously advances forward to engage them. I'll stagger the golems' approach in case the pyromancer gets trigger happy.
>>
No. 890156 ID: 81d03b
File 153001393713.png - (25.01KB , 800x600 , you_are_ten_years_too_early_to_ambush_me.png )
890156

Shadows flow out behind them as Alkaline rushes to attack too. She bubbles out of her puddle, club held high and -

The pyromancer suddenly drops, dropping to one knee and sweeping out a leg to spin around and point her staff at Alkaline's torso.

The fighter glances over his shoulder. "She melted?" My golem lashes out, getting him to pay attention to his fight as a second golem closes in.

Did they spot the too deep shadows when they entered or maybe they were just looking out for a witch?
>>
No. 890157 ID: 81d03b
File 153001399656.png - (25.14KB , 600x750 , boss_decisions.png )
890157

>Poor Alkaline. She can fling mud with the best of them, but doesn't have the backbone to take it...
Perhaps I was too greedy, thinking an ambush might be able to overcome the pyromancer. I probably should have supported Alkaline better. This pair seems to know what they're doing. Not to mention this cat is apparently that bomb throwing maniac's sister.

I still think it is unlikely they'll be able to get past Reisarf, Stargazer and Moriko but they've been playing their cards close to their chests so far. In case of further setbacks, I should prepare a final challenge.

I will be playing that role.

----------------------------------------
Deem
Level 1 Homunculus

----------------------------------------
Power: C (D=>C)
Vitality: B (D=>B)
Accuracy: D
Speed: D
Wits: E (D=>E)
Skill: C (D=>C)
Spirit: S
Luck: E

A mysterious golem girl from a lost era. Her body is meticulously crafted to contain a burning spirit, though the synchronisation seems to be imperfect. Luck is for the fortunate; she needs to force her own destiny.

----------------------------------------
Detected Abilities
----------------------------------------
Homunculus Body: Deem's body is an amalgam of alchemically treated clay and stone animated by her magic. This makes her difficult to injure and even her bare hands are effective weapons. She's refined an incomplete form of golemetry's Fourth Magic, the capacity to connect to the world, which makes her body more lifelike. It grants her the ability to eat and drink, gain small amounts of mana from doing so, benefit from potions and healing magic. It also grants her limited passive mana respiration, reducing the energy required to sustain her body.

Gigant Mode: Deem can heal and enlarge herself by absorbing additional earth, clay and loose rock into her body. The degree of physical improvement depends on size and the quality of materials used. A larger body is more mana intensive to move.

Stoneforging: By slowly infusing it with her mana, Deem can shape earth and stone like clay. The stone tools she can create with it are of high quality considering their material.

Hidden Reservoir: Deem can refill the mana reserves available to her golem body by drawing upon the energy stored in her Dungeon Heart. This gives her a mana capacity that vastly exceeds that of an ordinary magic user.

Ancient Power: Deem has strong affinities for earth magic, reinforcement, enchantment, curses and golemetry. However, due to Deem's limited circulation speed, simple spells are extremely slow compared an ordinary mage. Deem knows no Rote Spells, meaning there are no spells she can reliably cast under pressure.

High-Speed Ritual: The extraordinary density of mana channels in Deem's Heart fragment and her familiarity with massively parallel activations allows her to cast high complexity spell in a fraction of the time it would normally take.

Damaged Spell Channels: The damage which removed a fragment from Deem's Heart has lingering consequences, as some of her channels cross the cleaved surface. These severed circuits are not entirely responsive to Deem's control and cannot open or close properly, causing slow mana leakage. Additionally, if she's careless or unlucky when casting spells, she might activate a damaged channel.

----------------------------------------

I suppose I could simply recreate the Duo form I used to fight Moriko but I have the full magic of my Heart backing me this time. Perhaps there's a new concept I should try out?
>>
No. 890158 ID: b7627b

>>890157
Just remember that like the other times you've entered a sort of boss form, the knockers are essential.

Other than that, could you possibly cover the floor of the room with clay in time? That way you could trip them up, move them around, or launch a nasty skewer from any angle in the room.
>>
No. 890159 ID: 33cbe7

>>890158
Huge tracts of land stir the earth pulse like none other.

The adventurers are expecting a witch. So give them one! Fashion a witch hat with motifs of your minions, and prepare a hexing field of hexagonal platforms hexed with... woah, I'm getting a sense of deja vu here.
On second thought, reacquaint yourself with spider-limbs and engage them from a height advantage. By using a little of Gigant Form's power, you could make it really hurt (for them) if you dropped down on them. In close combat, many limbs will make it hard for the fighter to parry them all.
Gather the remaining gelatin into a coherent floor hazard, the best you can do with it now is make it look intentional. It's sort of like having a sticky web?
>>
No. 890161 ID: ad51b8

I got an idea. Can you make three bodies? Because What I'm thinking is if the adventures make it to you, have your clones act like your duo self while the real you hides either under the floor or in a wall (you can use the earth pulse to do that right?) But if they start getting worn down by the party then you pop out with the enlarging enchantment on yourself to become a giant. Add any enchantments that will make you more durable and give you a good chunk of strength and let you keep your agility even with you being as large as you would be. This part of the fight is where you'd be the center of attention and go and hunt down the most problematic member of the adventuring party with the duo clones punishing anyone that ignores them.

Idea with this fight is the duo will try and wear down the adventures and when things start looking dicy for them you burst out for some shock and aw have the duo move from fighters to rouges and start flanking any party member and trying to use divide and conquer tactics while you force the party to focus on you by being big, strong, and fast.

If you can't hide in a wall our under the floor could you give yourself an enchantment to make it seem like your nothing more then a statue or an alter and you could have your duo clones pray to you to try and sell the idea that you're just room decor so when you do enter the fight proper you still might catch them off guard?
>>
No. 890162 ID: a62780

>new concept to try out

how about playing up to expectations with >>890159 's witch motifs idea? current body and clothes are already pretty close to hitting that aesthetic actually.
if there's time to mess with the boss arena too, why not play up the shadow aspect of the dungeon somewhat and... make it poorly lit? okay I got nothing that wouldn't take ages to implement and definitely doesn't also hinder Deem, still it's an idea for later.
>>
No. 890170 ID: 094652

Add energy strings connecting the homunculi. Make them focus on surrounding enemies.

The catch is that the REAL danger is around their feet, where you do some earth stuff to set up proximity traps when you get them where they need to go.
>>
No. 890171 ID: 33cbe7

>>890161
Combining Deem Duo and Gigant Form to do a statue-come-to-life schtick?
...I love it. Best plan.
>>
No. 890173 ID: 5fd619

>>890157
>Level 1
>Wits: E (D=>E)
Heh.
>>
No. 890185 ID: 99fe60

>>890173
Why did wits decrease?
>>
No. 890189 ID: 5fd619

>>890185
Probably the switch to homunculus, but any excuse is good to bully Deem.
>>
No. 890206 ID: 977456

Deem duo feels special. It was what you used to win Moriko's... favour and should be saved for... special occasions.

Fire and explosions work well on large targets with bits to blow off, as do stupid-strong fighter-grunts. Small is good. Something ranged would be nice, but they are mobile and experienced... Something subtle which can't be dodged?

Bulk up with Gigant then use a compression enchantment. Ludicrously dense feels like a good counter here and would match the wits adjustment.
Apply an intoxication curse to the whole room. It won't be that strong, but over time it will build up and ruin their control and coordination. A dense form should buy the curse its time.
See if you can get some ultra-dense plates for armour and self-localise a density-maintaining enchantment. That way they can be thrown, and as they leave the effect they will expand and explode, creating a scattering of rubble if you need a ranged attack-or-distraction.
>>
No. 890213 ID: 1a6fd4

>>890156
Oh, is she about to blast Alkaline point-blank? Put the Unstable Core front and center, let the wizard blow herself up.

>>890157
>>890173
Deem now has as much Wits as Alkaline. Make of that what you will.
>>
No. 890220 ID: 10c408

>>890213
Pretty sure it's a little late for that.
>>
No. 890236 ID: 5fd619

>>890213
>>890220
She's pointing her staff more or less where she has the Unstable Core anyway. I don't know why it's not visible anymore (maybe Arhra forgot about it?) but even if it's under her Toxic Shroud now it'd probably explode from a fireball fired that close to her.
>>
No. 890248 ID: 10c408

>>890236
You are assuming that Alkaline wasn't simply knocked out from getting blasted in the chest, unstable core or not. Given the paragraph immediately afterwards...

anyways. So, it seems like the wizard is more skilled at close quarters than she let on. And the fighter has a very defensive form. Given these two points, I'm not sure dual form is a good idea. You won't be able to get anywhere close to the wizard without one of your forms getting blasted and while I'm sure that you can double team the fighter... Well, then the wizard has a two for one special.

So let's not fight fair. Gigant mode and enhance yourself for speed and durability. If you can use stoneforging to make some throwing stone based weapons, that's even better. (javenlins/solid pillars would work well.) scatter them around the arena so you can toss them as needed to keep the wizard busy while you force the fighter to close the gap to YOU and not the other way around.
>>
No. 890256 ID: 2007b6

Gigant + spider-leg skirt. Make the legs heavily armored spikes, for a slow-and-telegraphed-but-unstoppable stabbing attack, and some barbs on the sides that a sufficiently agile hero could climb like a ladder while you're pulling it back out of the ground, thereby reaching the blinking weak point high up on your main body.

Mess around with alchemy and/or reinforcement magic on the orange goo to enhance it's tensile strength and stringiness, and tap into that fire aspect (along with the natural properties of sugar) so that any heating will toughen it up even more. When the wizard tries to hit your weak point with a bolt of fire from a safe distance, block with a shield-wall of goo and then fling the burning web back at them.
>>
No. 890262 ID: 5fd619

>>890248
I understood that paragraph as a commentary on Shadow Slick, but I guess we'll find out in a few months in the next update.

>>890256
I think the warrior guy just proved how good he is against slow-and-telegraphed-but-unstoppable, so let's not make it easy for him by giving him more of it.
>>
No. 890280 ID: d8ce3a

>>890157
I like >>890158 's Idea of Filling the room you plan to fight in with loose earth material for you to manipulate, could lock down their foot work, or whip up a hand gravel/dust wave when need be.
You can also grab some boulders and round them off so your brutes can toss or bowl them at the adventurers, or use them as cover if need be.
For you yourself, You should probably save your Gigant form for partway through the fight, so you dont go into it with the increased mana drain, and a mid-fight transformation would both be very dramatic, AND have the possibility to throw them off guard. I'd also considering getting some curses ready, since by the time they get to you they should be at least a little worn out, So bogging them down with debuffs should be more effective.
>>
No. 890349 ID: dbf422

The witch idea is fun but can you work Earth shaping into the fight? Or is it too intensive to work in a battle?

Shame about Alkaline. Maybe she could've done something to damage the staff if we'd planned it better, but it's all a learning experience. Nothing wrong with her performance anyway.
>>
No. 890421 ID: d8ce3a

>>890349
We should have shaped her up a stone club too. At the very least it would be harder to burn.
>>
No. 890430 ID: 2007b6

>>890262
Ah, but the clever bit is, you can force them to attack or dodge in predictable directions - which you then block with webs of burning goo. Once they're all tangled up and distracted, slow clumsy attack's downsides become irrelevant. Very dramatic. Even provides an opportunity for villainous gloating before you crush them.
>>
No. 894499 ID: 96457c
File 153259981310.png - (40.97KB , 800x600 , suggestion_filtering.png )
894499

>>Why did wits decrease?
>Probably the switch to homunculus, but any excuse is good to bully Deem.
Halfwits need not apply.

>The adventurers are expecting a witch. So give them one! Fashion a witch hat with motifs of your minions, and prepare a hexing field of hexagonal platforms hexed with... woah, I'm getting a sense of deja vu here.
I don't know if I could cackle enough for that.

>Shame about Alkaline. Maybe she could've done something to damage the staff if we'd planned it better, but it's all a learning experience. Nothing wrong with her performance anyway.
She should have waited longer. Waited until they were fully engaged by the homunculi. It was unfortunate the invaders were looking out for a witch to go with the cauldron - perhaps something more to draw attention would be better next time - but still, she rushed in.

>So, it seems like the wizard is more skilled at close quarters than she let on. And the fighter has a very defensive form. Given these two points, I'm not sure dual form is a good idea. You won't be able to get anywhere close to the wizard without one of your forms getting blasted and while I'm sure that you can double team the fighter... Well, then the wizard has a two for one special.
They are frustratingly experienced at attacking a dungeon. This is admittedly only their second fight but they're being very frugal with their resources and they don't have much discussion, just the fighter's banter and the wizard's monosyllabic replies. I wonder how he keeps it up, I would find it discouraging. Still they both seem to be able to look after themselves, so I won't consider extra golems in my own fight.

The homunculi don't have any special tricks up their sleeves, they're just competent humanoid fighters. The variety of weapons I've armed them with might have tripped up another warrior but he seems to be a weapons master so he's familiar with their quirks. The warrior's collection of weapons is presenting its own problems - he turned out to have a bolas stashed away. He immobilised one golem and then got past the other two to kick Doyle over.

>Deem duo feels special. It was what you used to win Moriko's... favour and should be saved for... special occasions.
That's an excellent point too.

>So let's not fight fair. Gigant mode and enhance yourself for speed and durability. If you can use stoneforging to make some throwing stone based weapons, that's even better. (javelins/solid pillars would work well.) scatter them around the arena so you can toss them as needed to keep the wizard busy while you force the fighter to close the gap to YOU and not the other way around.
Fairness is always something to aspire to. Although should it come to them having a battle with me, I have far more to lose than they do. So I can be a little unkind... The earth pulse is rising, they can march to my beat.
>>
No. 894500 ID: 96457c
File 153259989683.png - (25.47KB , 800x550 , boss_of_this_place.png )
894500

>Huge tracts of land stir the earth pulse like none other.
What a good idea.

>Other than that, could you possibly cover the floor of the room with clay in time? That way you could trip them up, move them around, or launch a nasty skewer from any angle in the room.
I was able to excavate a good deal of clay during my midnight trip, but most of it is stored in the Golem Totem. Still, if I need a hazard I'm not restricted to clay.

>Bulk up with Gigant then use a compression enchantment. Ludicrously dense feels like a good counter here and would match the wits adjustment.
>Apply an intoxication curse to the whole room. It won't be that strong, but over time it will build up and ruin their control and coordination. A dense form should buy the curse its time.
>See if you can get some ultra-dense plates for armour and self-localise a density-maintaining enchantment. That way they can be thrown, and as they leave the effect they will expand and explode, creating a scattering of rubble if you need a ranged attack-or-distraction.
>For you yourself, You should probably save your Gigant form for partway through the fight, so you don't go into it with the increased mana drain, and a mid-fight transformation would both be very dramatic, AND have the possibility to throw them off guard.
I will streamline this somewhat. This chamber is part of my dungeon now, not some shallow cave I've hastily installed my Heart into. So let it move. Spiralling inwards, pulverised, weighed down and compressed as it flow into me. They will need to cross a floor of churning stone into an increasingly heavy and distorted space to fight me as I absorb material for the second stage of my battle.

If they want to hang back I can pick up rocks and throw them. The rocks will regain their original size and gain momentum as they leave the centre. Of course the invaders can shoot back but their own attacks will be blunted.

>If there's time to mess with the boss arena too, why not play up the shadow aspect of the dungeon somewhat and... make it poorly lit? okay I got nothing that wouldn't take ages to implement and definitely doesn't also hinder Deem, still it's an idea for later.
I have not yet developed that aspect. I needed to consider how to develop my dungeon to easily fit it in once I have the luxury of nurturing a second aspect. I do have Reisarf as one of my denizens, it's helped remind me of some slightly more convoluted configurations like this compressed area that I can do with my earth magic.

>Gather the remaining gelatin into a coherent floor hazard, the best you can do with it now is make it look intentional. It's sort of like having a sticky web?
I've tried to drain it into the cracks for now, hopefully it's not too obvious.

>Gigant + spider-leg skirt. Make the legs heavily armoured spikes, for a slow-and-telegraphed-but-unstoppable stabbing attack, and some barbs on the sides that a sufficiently agile hero could climb like a ladder while you're pulling it back out of the ground, thereby reaching the blinking weak point high up on your main body.
A classic. I will have to remember to use it someday.
>>
No. 894501 ID: 96457c
File 153259993171.png - (26.79KB , 800x550 , lets_all_fight.png )
894501

The invaders have pressed ahead to the thaumatorium. That is a shame, I think the brutes and Chakarchelou would have done a good job of softening them up in the forge.

I haven't seen much of what the pyromancer can do, which is telling in of itself. The only spells she has used have been quite expensive in terms of mana consumption. She seems to be focused on maximising her creation of embers, so they can be expended on to empower singular, decisive spells. however, Reisarf and Moriko both possess good counters for that. Despite having light defences, their skills to help ward off that sort of attack.

The current dungeon setup does not give many options for passing information on to later defenders unfortunately. I feel the motion of my Resurrection Matrix as Alkaline is pulled out of limbo and restored. That reminds me of something important. Win or lose, I need make sure my chamber is ready to receive them. If they don't make it, I can practice against Moriko and some of the others after this.
>>
No. 894502 ID: 96457c
File 153260004034.png - (37.06KB , 800x600 , they_also_are_here.png )
894502

I look at Hin and my remaining golems.

"How's the clean-up going?" With its space and security, my Heart Chamber has attracted the majority of the clutter. We have the leftovers of a lunch and various improvised seating and cooking utensils to store away in the annex housing the beds and Resurrection Matrix.

With the golems to do the heavy lifting and Hin supervising our newest slime to avoid it being stood on or otherwise unexpectedly dying it's gone fairly smoothly.

Merud pops his head into the room. "Deem, something's wrong with Alkaline!"

What.

I muster my thoughts. Nothing felt wrong. "What? Merud, symptoms."

"Her crown's swollen and she's having trouble standing."

I immediately feel some of my tension dissipate. "She's budding. It's early, but nothing to be too worried about. Merud, stay with her."
>>
No. 894503 ID: 96457c
File 153260015367.png - (31.96KB , 800x560 , should_have_recruited_a_stork.png )
894503

This is fast. Too fast? Alkaline always seems to be in a rush to do everything. I will concede the minor instability of my Resurrection Matrix's surplus healing may be a contributing factor but the rate of her growth is definitely anomalous.

Hin sloshes side to side. "What do we do? I don't know how to deliver a baby!"

Sometimes I forget how inexperienced my dungeon's denizens can be with these things. "Slimes are very easy, Hin. They just split off from the crown. The only thing to look out for is you might need a knife."

"A knife?!"

"Sometimes the caul's a little too tough, so they need a little help."

"The what?!"

I sigh. "Hin, go get Merud."

The timing could certainly be better. I probably need to handle this but I can't leave the room, it's hazardous to be too close to me right now, I should pay attention to the fight to see if there's anything else I should look out from these invaders and I really need to seal up the door to the Resurrection Matrix. What should I do?
>>
No. 894504 ID: 8063ab

>>894503
Alkaline is long-term part of your dungeon, not like these transients, so she takes priority. You can take more direct control of that homunculi, right? Unless it'd disrupt your control over your current buffs, do so to see to the situation with Alkaline.

Door to the resurrection matrix is also obviously a high priority. Spying on the adventurers will have to get cut because a) the information would only be useful to you personally if it comes to a fight and b) they're already fighting your strongest team.
>>
No. 894505 ID: 33cbe7

Can you just detach your upper body for a little while to go see Alkaline? Just the head and enough of the bust to keep the arms.
Reassure her everything's fine, you're proud of her having so many firsts so quickly (first dungeon clear, first dungeon defense, first dungeon baby) and then get back to paying attention to the fight.
After the fight concludes you can work on sealing the door extra tight. They still have one fight to go, possibly. Might need soundproofing so you aren't interrupted mid-fight by the miracle of slime birth.
>>
No. 894506 ID: 0cfbce

it may also be her curse transformation. the illness that should accompany resurrection has instead made her even healthier.

also her luck is absurd. if something odd happens to her it will mostly be good things.

anyway, to explain slime budding how about... like plucking a berry, sometimes you need to cut off the stem.
>>
No. 894509 ID: ad51b8

can you use on of your spare golems to help look after Alkaline? And can you keep an eye on both her and the adventurers or is this a "only can focus on one group at a time" sort of deal?
>>
No. 894510 ID: 10c408

Let's face it, as sweet as any knowledge we can glean from the battle between our top two denizens and those tight-lipped adventurers would be, our attention is needed elsewhere.

Take control over the golem wearing your old dress and assist with the situation at hand before it becomes an actual problem with long standing consequences. (lord knows we've already got enough of those going on as is)

Deal with the door problem after.
>>
No. 894520 ID: 5fd619

>>894503
...our little girl is going into labor. They grow up so fast...
>>
No. 894521 ID: 91ee5f

>>894520
Doesn’t that mean that Deem is going to be a grandma?
>>
No. 894524 ID: b1b4f3

>>894503
Don't forget, you still have one more group of defenders. I think you can delay sealing the door long enough to coach Merud and Hin through this, and reassure Alkaline. They can stay at a safe distance from you while you continue reinforcing your form.

Also I don't think the adventurers will try to get into the room, they'll be busy fighting you.
>>
No. 894531 ID: 465a14

>Halfwits need not apply.
The poor thing doesn't realize what she accidentally said about herself, does she.
>>
No. 894532 ID: 5fd619

>>894531
Well, she has E Wits
>>
No. 894538 ID: 977456

You might be able to question your denizens after they revive, and there might be evidence of the battle left on the field. Missing the firsthand account is not the same as total ignorance.

There is some risk of coddling Alkaline, but this is her first budding, it is important.

It occurs that the heroes might say unkind things about the state of the boss room. Is it too late to add an anger-fuelled speed/strength/regeneration effect?
>Halfwits need not apply.
Deem is very conscientious, she always applies herself. But it is a choice, not a need.
>>
No. 894609 ID: 99fe60

>>894532
Considering Deem deflected the wits question I'm guessing Deem has to actively maintain her stats or they will degrade. So add stat maintenance and active training of stats worse then C to our list of things to do. Assuming worse then C just means worse then average. For wits the only thing I can think of off hand would be Deem actively practicing answering riddles. But on the bright side, improving her luck is TECHNICALLY possible.
>>
No. 894612 ID: 465a14

>>894609
Wait, wouldn't that mean we've been doing her thinking for her? ...My God, she really is doomed. Deem, you have our pity.
>>
No. 894636 ID: 2007b6

First priority is to hustle all your non-boss-fight-related assets into the "employees only" area and seal the door behind them. If Alkaline is in such a wild hurry to rush ahead and grow up, she might learn something useful about the advantages of caution by being left on her own for a little while. Hin and Merud together can probably keep that situation from getting too far out of control, at least, and you can always worry about new denizens and growth after this raid's over, when you're burning off excess mana to set up new rooms or magic items.

Once they're secure, prioritize watching the fight. These are some of the toughest opponents you've faced in centuries (admittedly most of that time was spent asleep, but even so), right now they may know more about you than you do about them, and there's a limited window of time to correct that imbalance of intel. Continue boss-fight setup while you watch, incorporating adaptations as they occur to you. Rapid ritual casting makes you amazingly good at that sort of multitasking and improvisation, right? Play to your strengths.
>>
No. 896863 ID: e2ea73
File 153407329552.png - (20.97KB , 600x750 , assuming_the_thing.png )
896863

>Can you just detach your upper body for a little while to go see Alkaline? Just the head and enough of the bust to keep the arms.
No. That would destroy my golem.

>Alkaline is long-term part of your dungeon, not like these transients, so she takes priority. You can take more direct control of that homunculi, right? Unless it'd disrupt your control over your current buffs, do so to see to the situation with Alkaline.
>There is some risk of coddling Alkaline, but this is her first budding, it is important.
This is an important moment...

>Is this a "only can focus on one group at a time" sort of deal?
Directly puppeteering a golem like this requires a considerable amount of my attention!

>Door to the resurrection matrix is also obviously a high priority. Spying on the adventurers will have to get cut because a) the information would only be useful to you personally if it comes to a fight and b) they're already fighting your strongest team.
"Wait, never mind." I say to Hin. "I need to seal the Resurrection Matrix so I'm going to take control of one of the homunculi to intervene if anything is needed."

"But-"

"I'm closing the door."
>>
No. 896864 ID: e2ea73
File 153407340517.png - (33.26KB , 800x600 , get_back_im_a_professional.png )
896864

>Anyway, to explain slime budding how about... like plucking a berry, sometimes you need to cut off the stem.
Something like that. A clean separation isn't always possible, sometimes the slime's under-ripe or abnormal. There are a few interesting types that can result from flawed budding but that's not what I intended for Alkaline.

>Reassure her everything's fine, you're proud of her having so many firsts so quickly (first dungeon clear, first dungeon defense, first dungeon baby) and then get back to paying attention to the fight.
I feel dull looking out of this body. It may have been made in the semblance of my original body but it is less refined. Using this golem I cannot talk - it isn't tightly bound to my Heart fragment - but still, it is fit for its purpose. I scoop Alkaline into its lap.

There are things I might have said to Alkaline, had the timing been any other than this. But instead I must settle for a cruder physical medium - rocking her and patting her as she quivers, her body still trying to figure out how to rearrange itself its resources to finish making and separating this new slime. It's merely a matter of time.

>It may also be her curse transformation. the illness that should accompany resurrection has instead made her even healthier.
That's not how how it works. Alkaline's Inimical Inversion erodes curse magic and potentially repurposes that energy to benefit her. That's going to do nothing to depletion of energy from cheating death.

>Also her luck is absurd. if something odd happens to her it will mostly be good things.
Luck is not reliable, otherwise it wouldn't be luck.

>...our little girl is going into labour. They grow up so fast...
It's what they were made to do. Hin's still panicking. Merud thankfully is just watching and asking simple yes or no questions.

>Doesn’t that mean that Deem is going to be a grandma?
Don't be absurd.

>You might be able to question your denizens after they revive, and there might be evidence of the battle left on the field. Missing the firsthand account is not the same as total ignorance.
These things all take time is the headache. I cannot place Sealing Designations instantly, I cannot revive someone instantly, I cannot get that useful information out of them instantly and I cannot cast spells instantly either.

>Also I don't think the adventurers will try to get into the room, they'll be busy fighting you.
Never underestimate the capability of adventurers to do things they weren't intended to.
>>
No. 896865 ID: e2ea73
File 153407342911.png - (27.35KB , 800x550 , alart.png )
896865

Moriko just died.
>>
No. 896866 ID: 73a9f5

Only mostly!
>>
No. 896867 ID: a62780

>>896865
Gamble time; do we trust our quirky miniboss squad to handle the invaders despite Moriko going down and keep our focus here? or do we get appropriately spooked by our most experienced fighter getting taken out and go back to dungeoning duties?

I personally think Moriko would have made good account of herself, even sick and having gotten defeated. I'm fairly sure that if things have played out even slightly according to plan, the adventurers were forced to focus Moriko down and as such left themselves open to accumulating curse stacks. Which means Reisarf and Stargazer should just have to mop up now.
>>
No. 896870 ID: 33cbe7

Best be getting back to the security cameras then, before Foxy starts running down our corridor.
>>
No. 896871 ID: 91ee5f

>>896864
>>896865
If you can’t speak, then write.

Tell everyone that Moriko just died and the adventurers are on their way here, so you’ve gotta refocus on preparing to fight them so that they don’t come into the Resurrection Room.

Then write simple instructions on what to do for Alkaline before you leave.
>>
No. 896875 ID: ad51b8

can you take a quick peek to see how the adventures are doing before coming back to make sure the slim splits properly? If not then I would say maybe hurry this part up a little as much as you safely can. Those adventures are really starting to get annoying.
>>
No. 896878 ID: 575ec0

Well if we lose this fight at least the mana can be expended to dig out more gold, but ugh. It can really be used so much better right now.

Recall all remaining resources to the boss door. If they beat Moriko than they have a strategy capable of dealing with a single powerful opponent. You need to fight with your minions at your side.
>>
No. 896880 ID: 10c408

Troubling, but not unexpected. We haven't yet managed to force the duo to reveal any trump cards yet so they likely took her by surprise with it.

Regardless, keep helping Alkaline with the budding.
>>
No. 896882 ID: dbf422

>>896871
Uh uh. Deem's not leaving until the last second. I wasn't for her coming here, but now that she is, she should see this through personally, unless absolutely necessary.
>>
No. 896927 ID: 0c3c2c

>>896882
Indeed, but it is worrisome they're slaughtering their way through our best personnel. I think Moriko's loss of her demonic side has crippled her. Clearly we need to go on a quest to recover that section of her soul but in the meantime we need to prepare the core and do our best to make sure Stargazer survives.

Also, we need to find a region with less overpowered adventurers and move there.
Seriously, first that psycho with the grenades, then a stone wall fighter and a Nuke-mage. What happened to 'four peasant kids in light armor with swords'? 'A healer, a mage, a thief and a warrior'? We just keep running into lone psychopaths with incredible strength.

Maybe this country is just cursed and everyone here is crazy. Or perhaps God really hates us.
>>
No. 896934 ID: 977456

Can you set the golem to auto-pilot? As a homunculus it should have basic presentation programming.
Rythmic Rocking can be patched in? Try to stay with her a bit longer though, if you can see her through this first time it would be best.

>>896866
Mostly dead is still too-slightly alive to be of much help in the short-term.

>>896871
Do not be absurd. No good can ever come of writing!

>>896927
Sky-Power is actively trying to make Deem sleep forever, although there seems to be a sense of concern in there. Yandere gods are terrifying. Although thus-far all our heroes have been from The Kute Kitty Klan, which seems to love its unstoppable explosion factories, so we seemingly have both OP-hero nests and god-hate. And don't forget The Bear!
>>
No. 896935 ID: dbf422

>>896927
Yeah I thought the same thing about Moriko. Not only did she lose that demonic edge, her fighting instincts are probably dulled from the internal conflict. But that's for later.
>>
No. 896952 ID: 2007b6

Take a quick peek at the battle in progress, see if she managed to at least inflict some attrition on her way down.
>>
No. 896965 ID: 5fd619

>>896927
>Or perhaps God really hates us.
Sigh... E-rank luck. Deem loves saying that luck is useless, things keep happening to show reality to be otherwise. She still won't accept it, though.
>>
No. 896984 ID: 824ac6

>>896865
Mimic moriko's hammer stance, then draw your finger across your throat to let the others know. Keep the troops up to date.

Then pantomime swaddling a child to your golemeter so he knows to comfort her, and get your focus on out to help in the frontlines if you can.
>>
No. 896995 ID: 91ee5f

>>896984
>Mimic moriko's hammer stance, then draw your finger across your throat to let the others know.
It’ll be so much easier to just write that in the dirt instead of having everyone try to guess what Deem is talking about.
>>
No. 897006 ID: 2124f4

>>896995
oh yeah
>>
No. 897007 ID: 1a6fd4

>>896871
>>896995
I don't think she can do that yet. I know she signed up for Merud to teach her, but I don't remember her actually getting to learn any yet? Even if she did start, learning to read and write quickly and correctly takes time. There just wasn't enough of it.
>>
No. 897008 ID: 91ee5f

>>897007
I had completely forgotten that Deem was illiterate until you mentioned that.
>>
No. 897020 ID: 5fd619

>>897007
>>897008
Maybe she could draw a cute little picture of Moriko with Xs instead of eyes.
>>
No. 897022 ID: 10c408

Can we not freak out our minions any further? There's already a fairly important situation happening RIGHT NOW that we're involved in and we don't have to make it exponentially worse by telling Alkaline and everyone else that Moriko just bought the farm.
>>
No. 897032 ID: dbf422

>>897022
I agree with this, in addition to what I said here >>896882
>>
No. 897081 ID: 5fd619

>>897022
>>897032
I see what you're saying and I agree with you, but I really want to see that drawing now.
>>
No. 897697 ID: e2ea73
File 153458438795.png - (27.17KB , 600x750 , wizard_casts_GUN.png )
897697

>Take a quick peek at the battle in progress, see if she managed to at least inflict some attrition on her way down.
It can't hurt to take a peek.

Ah, the pyromancer had a bound spell. They're a little inefficient compared to other magic items but the ability to skip complex incantations and activate a powerful spell by, for example, firing it out of a gun instead can be extremely valuable.

Moriko should have seen that coming though?

>I think Moriko's loss of her demonic side has crippled her. Clearly we need to go on a quest to recover that section of her soul but in the meantime we need to prepare the core and do our best to make sure Stargazer survives.
>Yeah I thought the same thing about Moriko. Not only did she lose that demonic edge, her fighting instincts are probably dulled from the internal conflict. But that's for later.
She didn't lose it, she's rejecting it. Loss of focus seems like the culprit here though.

>Recall all remaining resources to the boss door. If they beat Moriko than they have a strategy capable of dealing with a single powerful opponent. You need to fight with your minions at your side.
One of the causes of that inefficiency is they are consumed on use. It's doubtful she had more than one.
>>
No. 897698 ID: e2ea73
File 153458443641.png - (17.52KB , 800x520 , talky_time.png )
897698

>If you can’t speak, then write.
That's not an option.

>Can you set the golem to auto-pilot? As a homunculus it should have basic presentation programming.
>Rhythmic Rocking can be patched in? Try to stay with her a bit longer though, if you can see her through this first time it would be best.
Do you think a little rocking is a substitute for actual presence?

>Can we not freak out our minions any further? There's already a fairly important situation happening RIGHT NOW that we're involved in and we don't have to make it exponentially worse by telling Alkaline and everyone else that Moriko just bought the farm.
Yes, Hin's panicking enough as it stands.

>Also, we need to find a region with less overpowered adventurers and move there.
>Seriously, first that psycho with the grenades, then a stone wall fighter and a Nuke-mage. What happened to 'four peasant kids in light armour with swords'? 'A healer, a mage, a thief and a warrior'? We just keep running into lone psychopaths with incredible strength.
I would expect that the type of person who goes happily traipsing around the wilderness has some confidence in their abilities. Going to a dungeon is dangerous, yes, but usually it's a known danger.
>>
No. 897699 ID: e2ea73
File 153458449009.png - (37.97KB , 800x550 , everyones_here.png )
897699

>I personally think Moriko would have made good account of herself, even sick and having gotten defeated. I'm fairly sure that if things have played out even slightly according to plan, the adventurers were forced to focus Moriko down and as such left themselves open to accumulating curse stacks. Which means Reisarf and Stargazer should just have to mop up now.
They still would have to defeat me as well. They're definitely getting worn down. As much as the surges in the earth-pulse demand my attention

>Regardless, keep helping Alkaline with the budding.
She's decided to take her time but I cannot blame her.

She seems to have calmed down. Being here was useful in that respect. Now we wait.

Maybe we do need a knife. I direct one of the golems to search for a clean one just in case.
>>
No. 897700 ID: e2ea73
File 153458452329.png - (39.76KB , 800x600 , all_bossed_up_with_noone_to_fight.png )
897700

The earth-pulse roars.

The heroes have been defeated!

Wait, Reisarf just... won?

Gold, mana, victory. Mana! It's enough, it's just barely enough to cast another great spell. I need to spend it before it slips through my fingers.

I need to release all the Sealing Designations too. No-one is getting in or out of my Heart Chamber or the bedroom until I do. I'll have to momentarily split my attention between Alkaline and managing dungeon functions.

All my denizens need to know. I take a deep breath. I'll try shouting.

"STAY WHERE YOU ARE EVERYONE. I NEED TO UNLOCK ALL THE DOORS."
>>
No. 897701 ID: e2ea73
File 153458477592.png - (34.39KB , 800x600 , lets_make_the_map_out_of_date_again.png )
897701

It's no question of what magic I should use.

Delve: Dig deeper! Instantly digs a large room (the size of a boss room) or up to three smaller ones. Alternatively, can be used to reorder and rearrange rooms in the dungeon.

I have a few things to consider. Living space is at a premium, it's hard to reposition people in response to invaders, I need to keep digging along the fissure towards the upper valley I think exists and I will have to enlarge some of the existing rooms if I want to upgrade them. In particular the Golem Totem is very cluttered and a larger entrance would make it easier to move material (such as excavated rock) in and out of the dungeon.

Of the new rooms, outside of living space, these are the more specialised uses I can put them to:

Meditation Room: I told Moriko I'd build one next. A quiet place for the dungeon's minions to unwind in. Faster regeneration of mana and stamina. Fights should not be conducted in this room so it's a good spot for a puzzle or simply a safe space for adventurers to catch their breath.

Alchemy Lab: The alchemy kit set up in a room stabilised from outside influences to allow stronger and more reliable potions to be brewed. Preferably a low traffic area. Adventurers entering the room will ruin any potions being crafted. However, I have the option to blacken the mixture, turning it into a strong but short lived curse.

Miniboss Chamber: An anchor point for my Heart-cast reinforcement magic, allowing it to be used on targets within the room. Adventurers should definitely be allowed into this room.

Gymnasium: A room set up to allow my denizens to practice a variety of physical activities. The terrain can easily be made in such a way that it provides some sort of physical challenge to invaders.

Treasury: A room to store gold that isn't accessible by adventurers. Simply put, it means I am not at risk of losing all my gold if an adventurer is able to defeat my final boss. Until I have one built, I can't afford to lose. There's a drop in mana harvested from invasions depending on how little gold I'm wagering.

Monster Lair: A room adapted for a specific type of monster to dwell in. It allows them to recover between fights easily and helps them develop faster.
>>
No. 897703 ID: 33cbe7

All according to keikaku! At least, that's what we'll tell everyone.
Meditation chamber first. Expand the imp diggings to the north of the gymnasium.
Second, incorporate a miniboss focus into the gymnasium. This bypasses the issue of traversing the dungeon by letting you be in both places at once, effectively.
Third, enhance living quarters. Hopefully whatever's funky about the resurrection matrix can be solved by throwing more money at the problem.
Direct your brutes in the forge to go check on Reisarf and see what the adventurers dropped!
>>
No. 897705 ID: 7a2c8b

I'd say meditation room, treasury and something else.
>>
No. 897706 ID: fd0bee

How big each of those rooms have to be? Can we Make half rooms and tight corridors as preparation for faster than normal manual expansion? Can we expand downwards?

Regardless, a promise is a promise. The Meditation Room have to be constructed.
If more rooms are available I vote for the Gymnasium. Improving our denizens is a priority spatially now that we are struggling to recover from that crazy dream.
The Monster Lair is also attractive but would only benefit our quasidragon.
>>
No. 897707 ID: 33cbe7

>>897703
>gymnasium
thaumatorium, right.
>>
No. 897708 ID: 977456

Ask Moriko about the meditation chamber. She may have specific preferences.
Otherwise, north of the Thaumatorium would be a good spot. Unless someone is blasting in the thamatorium it should be quiet, and a rest-spot with the chest-spot would be thematic.

As much as I want to train Alkaline in alchemy before she has a chance to devote herself to slime-rearing, the slime lair right now would be just too poetic, and might be able to save fail-slime. It could go to the East of the thaumatorium for ready access to moisture and to act as a hidden bonus-encounter/treasure-spot.

The treasury is kind-of urgent... unless you can make one of those bound spells and put it on a rocket-fist. Rocket-fists automatically win! So your hoard would be safe.

Don't forget Moriko! It just wouldn't do to ignore her revival after she successfully repulsed the heroes.
>>
No. 897710 ID: 094652
File 153458888243.png - (36.00KB , 800x600 , 153458477592.png )
897710

Put the meditation room in the same area as the pool, it makes more sense there. Then pick two of three: Alchemy Room, Monster Lair, Treasury, and an empty room to put the third later. You have approximately 20,100 'pixels' worth of space, this uses that much for four rooms and some doorways.
>>
No. 897714 ID: dbf422

>>897697
>She didn't lose it, she's rejecting it.
I did know that, I promise.

>>897703
Do this. (Even though I don't know exactly what you mean with the gym.)
>>
No. 897715 ID: b7627b
File 153459606742.png - (42.48KB , 799x599 , Stock photos make great icons.png )
897715

>>897701
I mostly agree with kome's suggestion (>>897710 )
barring a minor change or three.
The first being to stick the alchemy room to the 'north' of the first room attaching to the forge, so it doesn't have a direct entrance from the hallway, and to stick the treasure room somewhere it won't interfere with possible future living quarter expansions.

Finally a few quality of life changes to widen up a hallway and a couple of doorways so we can hopefully slowscavate a bit faster.

On another note, after you've cast the spell could you check up on Reisarf and Stargazer? To ask them how they beat the adventurers and in case they're injured or crippled enough that we need to put them down for a respawn.
>>
No. 897720 ID: 10c408
File 153460085241.png - (38.50KB , 800x600 , delve suggestion.png )
897720

I think we should talk shop with reisarif and Merud, try and figure out a way to include a source of lighting in every room that also doubles as an alarm/incursion indicator. (Orange for incoming/detected adventurers, red for active encounter, green for clean up and so on?)

And as for delve...

Meditation room, treasury and gymnasium. As nice of an idea as upgrading the barracks is, we can do it later when we don't have almost everyone holed up in it.

Spend any remaining delve energy on making the tunnel to the golem totem more straight.

As for anything else... Best guess for the adventurers is that they accidentally lined themselves up and reisarf blasted them with starlight destroyer. We should put a priority on having one of the remaining golems check on her.
>>
No. 897726 ID: 575ec0
File 153460429631.png - (36.49KB , 800x600 , Map2.png )
897726

Alight Let's put these two big fissures that we already have to use.
The one just to the Thaumatorium should be the meditation chamber. Just make sure a soundproof door gets put on it.

The one that connects to the main hall can be the alchemy lab. With slimes and belphy and the stuff we bought, we need one of these.

Connecting to the Res Chamber should be a dormitory. The rooms are small to be sure, but our denizens haven't ha an opportunity for much privacy in a while, and will surely appreciate them. Plus there's room for a kitchen to be dug later.

Lastly, with the mana saved by using the fissures, widen the entrance so the brutes can begin serious excavation.
>>
No. 897729 ID: 7cf41b

Meditation room, definitely. I wonder if you could make it sort of semi-hidden? Accessible by secret doors, that sort of thing. That way, for the purposes of meditation it's secluded (put a lock on the inside door for anyone using it for that), and during adventures it's available as a rest room for the adventurers but they have to solve a puzzle to get it. And if you put it in the right place relative to the other rooms then your denizens can use it as a shortcut to get around.

I'm thinking a relatively large space, make it look like a natural cave that's been partly carved/built into, mostly circular, with maybe a waterfall and a pool and a nice little meditation platform, throw some moss around, enough flat space in the middle for martial arts practice, then maybe some old-looking pillars in a hemisphere away from the water and on the sides where the entrances are. Have a sort of a recessed path around the edge of the room beyond those, maybe later throw in some alcoves or murals there. Maybe even make a tall, thin crack/crevice leading up to the surface over the waterfall/natural-looking part of the room, just enough for a little shaft of light to come down? I know your dungeon themes are more dark and shadowy and murky and such, but if it's going to be a refuge/rest point for the adventurers then a momentary lightening of those themes should be appropriate, right?

Plus a little variety will help your denizens not go mad.
>>
No. 897731 ID: 91ee5f

>>897701
Meditation Room and Living Space because look at how crowded it is in the current bedroom: >>897699 ! That is completely unacceptable!
>>
No. 897733 ID: 5fd619

>>897701
Meditation Room > Miniboss Chamber > Treasury = Gymnasium.
Living space can be easily expanded without delve, so don't waste it on that.

I like >>897729 's idea of hiding the Meditation Room, and >>897726 's idea of making use of the fissures.
>>
No. 897734 ID: 5fd619

>>897733
Oh and fix the Resurrection Matrix already, FFS. It's caused enough trouble.
>>
No. 897765 ID: b1b4f3

>>897701
Nice, Reisarf and Stargazer pulled through! I wonder if Moriko died on purpose to ensure that victory? Like, perhaps she grabbed the fighter to ensure he got hit by the spell?

>Meditation Room
First, keep your promise. Put the meditation room "south" of the Thaumatorium. Put a puzzle in it, we don't have any of those yet. Then, I assume you have some energy left over, which means we expand the fissure and start building facilities in the valley. Then fill out that other stuff you mentioned. Finally, if we have space let's get that Treasury, just beyond the current rez room is a good spot for it.
>>
No. 897767 ID: 1a6fd4

>>897700
Awesome. I wonder if the Thaumatorium's surprise magic change played a part on their victory? I imagine something like the mage trying to back up the warrior and suddenly healing herself instead, that'd probably spell out the end for him and leave her defenseless... I wish we could have seen the fight, but I guess Alkaline is more important both for us and Deem, even if she won't admit it.

>>897701
First priority is of course keeping our word, then we need a treasury. Gymnasium sounds nice, but we can do that with normal digging, can't we? The Miniboss Chamber sounds like something we can't easily make except during Delve.
>>
No. 898018 ID: 4abd09

>>897731
I completly agree with that. Morale among the deniziens can use improvement. Living Space and Meditation would support that. The lab for the third choice, me thinks.
>>
No. 898083 ID: 2007b6

Add an alchemy lab in that fissure by the baths, and see if you can get it to do double duty as a laundry room. Might also be a good place for a second 'employees only' sealing designation, to save people having to run the full length of the dungeon when an adventurer arrives unexpectedly.

Meditation room behind the thaumatorium, with some sort of puzzle to further delay access to the boss key.

Split the third small room's worth of delving among improving the entrance and widening the valley passage.

Say, do you think you could turn that low wall around the camp out front into a semicircle of incongruously aboveground stalactites, like the lower jaw of some enormous wolf? Fits the earth alignment, and with a subsequent Delve you might even be able to put a roof over that 'front porch' it to make another boss room. Claim back some territory from the hateful sky-powers!
>>
No. 898097 ID: 8b2814
File 153473478318.png - (36.82KB , 800x600 , Deem's Dungeon Backstage Passages.png )
898097

I think there's lots of good options for front-end rooms for the dungeon. Do make a meditation room, and planning the alchemy room to be a good place to grow your mushrooms seems like a good use of space. Giving your pseudodragon a Monster Lair to speed its development is an investment that will pay dividends the sooner you get it done.

But for the love of everything, construct a Back Hallway such as shown. Preferably with seals on it, but letting your minions move around to get into position without having to use that first hallway will make it SO much easier to respond to adventurers.
>>
No. 898528 ID: d8ce3a

Could the Alchemy Room also function as a kitchen?
Cooking is just alchemy lite, right?
>>
No. 898569 ID: 10c408

>>898528
That depends. Would YOU eat food from the same room that someone used to dissect an imp?
>>
No. 898570 ID: 5fd619

>>898569
Would that food be sauteed imp?
>>
No. 898613 ID: 4f1cbc

>The current dungeon setup does not give many options for passing information on to later defenders unfortunately.
Hmmm. Magical ranged communication seems something that would be in the domain of the wind, not the earth. Carrying breath to another ear? Maybe you could pass messages through shadow or fire, once you build up one of those affinities. Or maybe tiny messenger golems able to scurry between tiny hidden passages like mice?

Of course the downside of any communication system is the eventual adventuring team that figures out how to crack it, or exploit it.

>>Doesn’t that mean that Deem is going to be a grandma?
>Don't be absurd.
Yeah, Deem's much older than that!

>Moriko just died.
Well, hopefully that doesn't mess up her confidence and self image further. Have to be careful how we handle that.

>>897701
I think this fight drove home that we need a safe "backstage" area that can lock adventurers out, where non-combatants can wait out attacks. Your minions need a home.

If at all possible, it would be nice to break out into that hidden valley, and incorporate access to that secret valley as part of that home. An outside that's inside and protected, where food and other plants can grow. (So the backstage would include the valley, and rooms underground near the valley, that can all be blocked off behind one sealing designation).

The Meditation Room should be underground, but should be solidly in this backstage area too. Off the tunnel to the valley, maybe? You promised Moriko, and she died securing this victory, so the least you can do is come through for her.

Priority after that is probably patching any problems with the resurrection matrix if you can.
>>
No. 898622 ID: 09e13b

I haven't formed a strong opinion on rooms or layout yet, but can we please get the back passage up to the valley up and running? Apart from anything else, it'll grant us access to a new area with unique properties (such as being open to there air and getting sunlight, good for growing things or scenic battles) without having to waste time or mana digging out every inch ourselves.
>>
No. 898663 ID: 9814f3

>>898622
For all we know the "backdoor" is home to monsters on the same level as the devilbear.
>>
No. 898665 ID: 5fd619

>>898622
Opening the dungeon means opening up another entrance route (intended or not), which would mean we have to design the dungeon from both sides. Overruled.
>>
No. 898667 ID: 09e13b

>>898663
>>898665
Isn't it a tiny valley surrounded by sheer cliffs? I was under the impression that nothing could get in or out without flying, and it would be small enough that there wasn't a whole lot room for anything to hide. Also, if it does turn out something's there, sealing parts off with sealing designations appears to be something we're pretty good at. We're not obligated to use the space, and it'll only take a tiny bit of extra floorspace to widen the corridor, so I still think we should do it.
>>
No. 898678 ID: b1b4f3

>>898665
Incorrect. The back entrance has been stated as safe by Deem. Also we can just lock it? The front entrance shouldn't be locked because we need to let adventurers in, but the back entrance is easily secured.
We can put several layers of security there if you're paranoid about a thief sneaking in, but Deem will detect an adventurer before they arrive anyway.
>>
No. 898682 ID: 5fd619

>>898678
It's not just adventurers I'm worried about. Remember when Belphe showed up? We're still dealing with the after-effects of that. I'm just hoping Hin gets to recover her solidity soon so we can leave that in the past, so how about we don't make a repeat of that situation more likely until we have proper dungeon defense sorted out?
>>
No. 898684 ID: 4f1cbc

>>898682
As I understand it, random monsters can spawn outside the dungeon, but not normally inside it? (Unless we screw up like when we caused imps). If the hidden valley mechanically counts as part of the dungeon once we connect to it, stuff like Belphe showing up in the valley should be a non-issue.
>>
No. 898728 ID: a98542

>>897701
I'd like to propose an alternate plan: blow the entire Delve on a long hallway to the upper valley. Ideally connected to the main front hallway via a secret dungeon-locked door - we don't want a backdoor into the Resurrection room, we don't want to force a ton of golem traffic through hin's forge while she's trying to work, and putting it at the back of the thaumatorium is dumb for obvious water-related reasons - but wherever works.

>>898622
Or I guess I'm elaborating on the benefits of what's already been suggested, but whatever.

We'd lose out on some magical effect rooms in the immediate future, but the hidden valley has a lot of potential upsides.

Assembling buildings is a lot easier than digging out rooms, especially with the pile of golem labor we can throw at things. We have brutes to haul lumber and the homonculi to do the more delicate aspects of carpentry, and we have a lot of spare stone to throw around for walls or foundations. If we're feeling especially extravagant, we also have a large pile of clay for brickwork. Buildings outside of the dungeon can't get dungeon magic bonuses, but:

Buildings outside the dungeon are outside of the dungeon. Anything built outside would be well isolated from the LOUD NOISES of Hin hammering away at the forge, wizards practicing explosion magic in the thaumatorium, and golems excavating rooms and hauling stone around. Everyone would be able to get away from the noise and bustle of work if they needed to, and Deem would be able to work at night without worrying about noise if everyone was sleeping up in the valley.

These buildings would also (hopefully) be relatively isolated from adventurers and aggressive wildlife - our dungeon workers could store personal possessions without fear of them being ransacked. I imagine Merud wouldn't mind having a small workshop where he could leave half-finished projects without the chance of adventurers ruining them, and Moriko could have a zen garden or something.

Speaking of, Moriko didn't ask for the meditation room, she asked for
>living space! A place for privacy. Somewhere to reflect. To meditate. Regain balance.
and giving her a little cabin (and a small yard around it) of her own to do with as she pleases accomplishes that better than another magical hole in the ground. Also, putting a meditation room right next to the MAGICAL EXPLOSION PRACTICE room doesn't seem like it'd be particularly peaceful, anyways.

And if we're building a cabin for each person, we could take their input and build the things where they want them (Moriko might want her place further out from the rest), and to their preferred styling and room arrangement. Comfy rooms for everyone means comfy sleep for everyone, and workers work better when they're well-rested.

Workers also work better when they're well-fed, and having some safe area outside opens the option of having a small garden to supplement the variety (if not the quantity) of food in the stockpiles. And unless we intend to build an extravagant dining hall in the dungeon (where adventurers would be stealing the silverware and jumping on the tables), eating around a campfire or in a mess hall (where we could also build a kitchen) is probably more comfortable than sitting around in the boss room.

Basically, it'd be a massive boost to the overall comfort and happiness of everyone involved.

It'd also be a pretty large gesture of Deem putting the comfort of her dungeoneers in front of her desire to become a more powerful dungeon, which is probably an important thing to re-establish, especially with recent magical fuckups causing harm or discomfort for basically everyone.

If we need more time to get into position when adventurers arrive, we should focus on setting up a puzzle in the golem totem room. That was the original intention for putting it up front, after all.
>>
No. 898748 ID: 2007b6

>>898728
Yeah, if it's possible to open the passage all the way to that valley in one shot, I'd change my vote to that.
>>
No. 898803 ID: 7c90bc

I think we should stick to increasing dungeon size first, I don't feel like we are powerful enough to start branching out into things like support villages yet. She did ask for space to live, so a series of living quarters sealed off from the dungeon, somewhere everyone can eat, and if there's any energy left, expand both the "boss chamber", and Hin's forge.

The boss chamber should be much larger, and maybe a lengthy oval shape, and Deems heart cradle should sit on a raised dias. Hin's forge might not need to be bigger, but I imagine our ability to shape stone into any kind of elaborate furnace she can conceive means she could probably make good use of some more space.
>>
No. 899255 ID: ab52c1
File 153537806253.png - (37.20KB , 600x750 , room_to_think.png )
899255

>I think this fight drove home that we need a safe "backstage" area that can lock adventurers out, where non-combatants can wait out attacks. Your minions need a home.
>If at all possible, it would be nice to break out into that hidden valley, and incorporate access to that secret valley as part of that home. An outside that's inside and protected, where food and other plants can grow. (So the backstage would include the valley, and rooms underground near the valley, that can all be blocked off behind one sealing designation).
Hmm, let me think about this. It's a little bit of a stretch, but if I'm clever, which I am, I should be able to reach it if I'm careful.

>The Meditation Room should be underground, but should be solidly in this backstage area too. Off the tunnel to the valley, maybe? You promised Moriko, and she died securing this victory, so the least you can do is come through for her.
Hmmm.

>How big each of those rooms have to be? Can we Make half rooms and tight corridors as preparation for faster than normal manual expansion? Can we expand downwards?
There's no point in doing that when I can make a room with only a few finishing touches needed.

I can dig up or down as I please.

>Second, incorporate a miniboss focus into the gymnasium. This bypasses the issue of traversing the dungeon by letting you be in both places at once, effectively.
I can't layer multiple functions into one room yet.

>Oh and fix the Resurrection Matrix already, FFS. It's caused enough trouble.
I will have to calibrate it, but it's not urgent. In hindsight, Alkaline's bud has been developing for some time. The occasional haircut is hardly the worst problem I've ever had to deal with.

>Ask Moriko about the meditation chamber. She may have specific preferences.
I'd like it to be a surprise.

>Moriko didn't ask for the meditation room, she asked for "living space! A place for privacy. Somewhere to reflect. To meditate. Regain balance." and giving her a little cabin (and a small yard around it) of her own to do with as she pleases accomplishes that better than another magical hole in the ground. Also, putting a meditation room right next to the MAGICAL EXPLOSION PRACTICE room doesn't seem like it'd be particularly peaceful, anyways.
My Meditation Room would be extremely good for that! Still, I suppose you have a point.
>>
No. 899256 ID: ab52c1
File 153537816735.png - (18.66KB , 800x600 , a_new_map.png )
899256

So from here let's lay out a new path.

I hear a hammering on the Resurrection Matrix's door. I look from the homunculus cradling Alkaline and it's Merud. "Deem, what are you doing?!"

Hmm, Merud does seem a little sensitive to these things. Wizard ears or perhaps a wizard nose as well as eyes?

I finish dissolving the Sealing Designation on that door. "I'm doing some renovations." I tell him.

My golemeter steps forwards, towards my golem body. I hold up a hand.

"Don't come any closer." I say to him. "You'll trigger the enchantments and I'd prefer to try to recoup at least a little mana from dissolving them." I lean forward a little. "Unless you want to fight me?" A fight would also do for that. It would be a little distracting managing that while soothing Alkaline but I'm sure I am able to do that.

Merud coughs. "I think I'll pass."

"Think of it as a violent puzzle!"

Alas, he's a wet blanket. I suppose he is only the one in good shape for it aside from Chakarchelou.
>>
No. 899257 ID: ab52c1
File 153537827147.png - (11.48KB , 600x750 , oh_boy_all_this_map.png )
899257

I had just enough capacity to run a connecting tunnel out of my Heart Chamber to the fissure and then open up a narrow path of least resistance. This ungainly layout is bad for mana circulation but it's only a temporary measure.

>But for the love of everything, construct a Back Hallway such as shown. Preferably with seals on it, but letting your minions move around to get into position without having to use that first hallway will make it SO much easier to respond to adventurers.
Unfortunately I can't do that and open up the fissure at the same time. It should be relatively easy to run a branching path off this new corridor later.

>Meditation room, definitely. I wonder if you could make it sort of semi-hidden? Accessible by secret doors, that sort of thing. That way, for the purposes of meditation it's secluded (put a lock on the inside door for anyone using it for that), and during adventures it's available as a rest room for the adventurers but they have to solve a puzzle to get it. And if you put it in the right place relative to the other rooms then your denizens can use it as a shortcut to get around.
It's a place intended for reflection, not a thoroughfare. I've placed it part of the way along the new tunnel to give it some isolation.

>I'm thinking a relatively large space, make it look like a natural cave that's been partly carved/built into, mostly circular, with maybe a waterfall and a pool and a nice little meditation platform, throw some moss around, enough flat space in the middle for martial arts practice, then maybe some old-looking pillars in a hemisphere away from the water and on the sides where the entrances are. Have a sort of a recessed path around the edge of the room beyond those, maybe later throw in some alcoves or murals there. Maybe even make a tall, thin crack/crevice leading up to the surface over the waterfall/natural-looking part of the room, just enough for a little shaft of light to come down? I know your dungeon themes are more dark and shadowy and murky and such, but if it's going to be a refuge/rest point for the adventurers then a momentary lightening of those themes should be appropriate, right?
Space is at something of a premium but I've placed a pair of cascade pools with a waterfall feeding the top one... as soon as I can top up the cistern that feeds it. There's a hidden spot behind the waterfall. It needs a little more work before I can really show it off.
>>
No. 899258 ID: ab52c1
File 153537837540.png - (8.85KB , 600x750 , check_out_this_map.png )
899258

The tunnel has a defensive bend in it where I placed the Meditation Room, just in case, and I've left a few feet to be dug out to open the entry into the valley because I am not an idiot.

>Add an alchemy lab in that fissure by the baths, and see if you can get it to do double duty as a laundry room. Might also be a good place for a second 'employees only' sealing designation, to save people having to run the full length of the dungeon when an adventurer arrives unexpectedly.
>Could the Alchemy Room also function as a kitchen?
>Cooking is just alchemy lite, right?
I do think I need to make a Treasury and Alchemy Lab my next priority alongside widening the tunnel, but this has given me something to think about for doubling up on functionality for the lab. I think I should settle it immediately.

In the interests of brevity, I will name them by their intended secondary purposes.

Laundry: An alchemy lab that also focuses on developing alchemical treatments for cloth and various other inanimate objects.

Kitchen: An alchemy lab specialised into substances intended to be consumed by living things for beneficial effects.

Brewery: An alchemy lab that deals with potions and poisons.
>>
No. 899259 ID: fd0bee

Brewery
I agree with >>898569 alchemy should not be done close to food.
>>
No. 899263 ID: a62780

>>899258
Hmm, I think our current setup seems to benefit best from a Brewery; Belphegor, Alkaline and now the Homunculi have obvious synergies with potions and poisons.

That said, our current fleshy companions are primarily cloth users... despite us having a cool blacksmith, hmm, do we have armoured golems on the to-do list? If not, we should add them.

I still vote Brewery though, the possibilities seem wonderful.
>>
No. 899264 ID: 33cbe7

Kitchen. Buffs and foods first.
>>
No. 899272 ID: 575ec0

Kitchen. We have Belphy to brew, for now.
>>
No. 899273 ID: deec6e

>>899258

Not only that, but Hin's new trait also allows her to benefit more from food and potions, as per:

>Gluttonous Ogre: Consuming food recovers Hin's stamina and gives her a temporary boost of health. Overeating lets her overcome injuries and illness faster. Hin can eat a wider range of food without ill effect and resists ingested poisons and curses. Potions have an increased effect, as do other food related special effects.

So she and Alkaline will probably make excellent experimental subjects taste testers!

>>899258

So, definitely the Kitchen - pretty much everyone but the 'ordinary' golems stand to benefit and they already have their own buff room. Besides, you just developed taste buds! No way should you pass up on a potential future filled with culinary delights! You could even think of setting up a little well-defended shop outside for curious adventurers. Just imagine it... Deem's Dungeon and Dragon Cafe!

Oooh, and you can create a classy getup for the servers to go with the theme of your Dungeon.
>>
No. 899277 ID: dbf422

Kitchen would be good for morale!
>>
No. 899284 ID: 5fd619

>>899258
Morale is important, let's go with Kitchen. Unless the Brewery can function as the other kind of brewery too? I'm not sure anyone but Hin would partake, though, except maybe when Kallia visits.
>>
No. 899288 ID: b1b4f3

>>899258
Brewery. People are forgetting we don't need magical buffs from food for good morale.
>>
No. 899290 ID: 5fd619

>>899288
I was thinking more along the lines of "a dedicated place to prepare food in". You know, mundane morale.
>>
No. 899311 ID: 10c408

>>899263 Hin's a little busy dealing with being a creature type that isn't half-ogre to make anything metallic.

Anyways...

Another vote for the brewery.

We don't have the cloth or a tailor to make the laundry room specialization worthwhile just yet

And while I'm sure that morale will improve by making a kitchen right now, I feel that morale is going to degrade too much over time given that it will also be used for things like processing imp corpses, making poison/detrimental potions, boiling the body of a certain devil bear into naught but bones so that we might fashion both our home and our golem body with the skeletal remains of our enemy! or other such work that will inevitably permeate any food made in the room.

And let's be honest, most of our minions are going to find such a room off-putting.
>>
No. 899314 ID: 33cbe7

>>899311
They're drinking imp corpses right now. This is an era where people live a little closer to knowing how the sausage is made.
>>
No. 899325 ID: b1b4f3

>>899290
We can do that with a normal kitchen. This choice is to choose whether we want MAGICAL food, MAGICAL clothing, or better potions and poisons.
>>
No. 899338 ID: 977456

I am obsessed with Alchemist Alkaline. She will be amazing! She will need bombs and poisons and potions and elixirs. So:
brewery

That said, Kitchen is the optimal synergy. We have golems that benefit from beneficial potions as one of their main advantages. Slimes can store healing potions that break when they get smooshed, Deem's Denizens have been getting medical maladies that could use some beneficial broths... The focus on ameliorating alchemy would just mesh so much better with the way The Dungeoness has been developed thus far.
>>
No. 899339 ID: 7c90bc

I'd prefer brewery. Alcohol, potions, poison, and maybe things that explode. Guaranteed to be a good time.
>>
No. 899350 ID: 2007b6

Kitchen seems fine. Could work on reverse-engineering the cake crab.

Maybe figure out some way to combine the laundry room with a puzzle behind the thaumatorium using mundane construction, something involving shifting awkwardly long wooden drying-rack poles around between different mounting points? Or maybe that's a better place for a mushroom farm, so they can marinate in magic overflow.

Either way, finish tidying up, get everybody back together for after-action reports, then start planning to explore the valley. Probably want to wait until everyone's had another meal and a sleep cycle before committing to that, but good plans take time and having something to look forward to helps morale.

Moriko probably died because the adventurers were focusing more heavily on her, because they heard from the bomb cat that she was the final boss last time. Maybe point that out to her. Knowing that she not only succeeded in her task, but is already building a formidable reputation, might cheer her up.
>>
No. 899353 ID: b1b4f3

...can we make better alcohol in the brewery?
>>
No. 899359 ID: b5fb67

Brewery so we can GET FUCKIN' KRUNK!
>>
No. 899525 ID: 4f1cbc

Kitchen
>>
No. 899540 ID: 09e13b

Laundry. Just about all of our minions have the capacity to wear things, but most golems can't eat or drink. I would also pick this over the brewery, because making items that can be used multiple times is going to pay more dividends in the long run than single use consumables. Also, keep in mind that golems themselves could as inanimate objects, and some of them are even also pieces of clothing, so it seems like there should be a lot of synergy there.
>>
No. 899573 ID: 977456

>>899540
Most golems can't eat, but most golems aren't inside Deem. Deem has, umm, 10? 12? golems? And 3? 4? of them can't eat? Of course, Merud can eat, so his golem gets second-hand food bonuses...
You are absolutely correct about Death-Scarves though! And a well-polished Denizen is nothing to sneeze at!
>>
No. 899574 ID: 1a6fd4

>>899540
>>899573
Welp, you convinced me. Team Laundry it is. ...Though it doesn't look like it has much of a chance of winning this.
>>
No. 899588 ID: b7627b

>>899258
I'm inclined to say brewery, you've yet to try regular liquor, and unfiltered beer (not that we have enough malted grains) can also provide a source of sustenance.
A nosy adventurer might also be inclined to help test anything we have brewing, so if a poison's brewing and they're sufficiently curious, it might kill the cat.

Though a proper kitchen, and by extension proper meals would probably be great for morale since you've opted for sapient allies.
>>
No. 899661 ID: d8ce3a

>>899258
Kitchen, Since Now that Alkaline has started budding, and how much slimes are dependent on diet, were only going to need more and better food.
If I had a second choice, it would be Laundry, if only because I want to make magical ink, Paint and paper, but that only barely relates.
No Brewery, Belph already gets short shrift as it is, dont take his job and/or food!
>>
No. 899739 ID: ab52c1
File 153572553640.png - (24.61KB , 600x750 , oh_its_you.png )
899739

>So, definitely the Kitchen - pretty much everyone but the 'ordinary' golems stand to benefit and they already have their own buff room. Besides, you just developed taste buds! No way should you pass up on a potential future filled with culinary delights! You could even think of setting up a little well-defended shop outside for curious adventurers. Just imagine it... Deem's Dungeon and Dragon Cafe!
>Oooh, and you can create a classy getup for the servers to go with the theme of your Dungeon.
This is a dungeon. I won't be opening a cafe or a spa or anything like that for passing invaders. Providing shelter to them would erode the entire purpose of everything.

>Hmm, I think our current set-up seems to benefit best from a Brewery; Belphegor, Alkaline and now the Homunculi have obvious synergies with potions and poisons.
>I'd prefer brewery. Alcohol, potions, poison, and maybe things that explode. Guaranteed to be a good time.
Yes, Belphe is worse at harmful effects than he was before I tamed him, so something to balance that out and train Alkaline would be very helpful. A brewery it is!

>I was thinking more along the lines of "a dedicated place to prepare food in". You know, mundane morale.
I'm going to eventually make a dedicated mundane kitchen space anyway.

>No Brewery, Belph already gets short shrift as it is, don't take his job and/or food!
My Resurrection Matrix activates a second time and... oh right, Belphe died as well.

Alkaline's still budding. Reisarf and Stargazer are headed this way. Slowly, it looks like they're not in the best of shape. Moriko will be resurrected soon too, but I can only do so much at once. Who should I concentrate on?
>>
No. 899740 ID: 5fd619

>>899739
>I'm going to eventually make a dedicated mundane kitchen space anyway.
Yes, and we know how long "eventually" takes around here.
>>
No. 899741 ID: ad51b8

well might as well focus on Alkaline since she's in the resurrection room and it looks like everyone is going to head their eventually so might as well deal with things as they come to you.
>>
No. 899742 ID: a62780

>>899739
Stay with Alkaline, send the pair of normal homunculi to see if they can help Stargazer and Reisarf (I can't remember if we have healy stuff around but if we do, send some along with them) and have Hin on standby to welcome Moriko back and tell her what's going on.
Once Alkaline is sorted and everyone is feeling a bit better we can give out congratulations and critique.
>>
No. 899744 ID: 10c408

Hmm... The matrix rooms is getting crowded. Send Merud off to check on reisarif. You are busy and even if you checked on them right now, you'd only be able to send golems to assist inadequately.

This'll free up some room for when moriko respawns, which will hopefully not cause an issue with our current problem.

Which is how long it's taking alkaline to bud. Focus on that most of all.
>>
No. 899749 ID: dbf422

Focus on Alkaline but ask Merud to go assist Reisarf and Stargazer.
>>
No. 899753 ID: 5fd619

>>899744
This.
>>
No. 899760 ID: b7627b

>>899739
Well, last we saw of alkaline she was right near the matrix, right? So you can help her while Moriko respawns since alkaline sees you as a bit of a mother figure.

And as >>899744 said, you can send someone else to check on Reisarf&Stargazer, to check if they're critically injured, or just walking at a normal pace.
>>
No. 899764 ID: b1b4f3

Merud can take some golems along to help the victorious pair. Stick with Alkaline since she's not done.
Speaking of which, what are we going to do about post-battle injuries? I wonder if there's a point where natural recovery from wounds would take longer than shaking off resurrection sickness.

Tell Belphe (and Moriko eventually) welcome back. Once everyone is gathered they can report how the big fight went and you can give praises where they are due.
>>
No. 899766 ID: deec6e

>>899739

>Providing shelter to them would erode the entire purpose of everything.

Aw. I'll curb my desire for a Deem-themed shop then.

Suggestion: Can Belphe boost one of the various recovery/healing potions with their current resurrection-chamber'd excess vitality? If so, you could pass one to Merud to give to Reisarf and Stargazer. If the side effect isn't too bad.

Keep watching over Alkaline, but position yourself so that you can greet Moriko when she recovers.
>>
No. 899770 ID: 0c3c2c

>>899739
Heal the living first. Take care of Stargazer and Reisarf. It is you fault that Reisarf is now a woman, after all, might as well do your best to help in other ways.
>>
No. 899773 ID: 33cbe7

I'd rather focus on boosting Doyle's support capabilities and have a place to elevate food above campfire cuisine. You know, while also being able to train Alkaline? It's still an alchemy lab.
Alkaline can't be moved yet, so focus on her. Have everyone give her some space and reconvene in the boss chamber. Send a brute to meet Reisarf and carry them to the beds if needed.
>>
No. 899776 ID: 977456

So... How do we break it to Moriko that we missed her heroic sacrifice?
Lie: I needed to do complicated mana things, and now we have a meditation chamber!
Deflect: It is all Alkaline's fault! If she hadn't picked the worst time to start budding!
Seduce: My sight was tragically distracted, but I trust your combat experience and battle acumen to convey your glorious confrontation. Best not to be distracted, let us away to the privacy of this chamber, I built it, a part of my very being, specifically for you...
Work it off: Champion! Find bear, kill bear, return with pelt.
Break: Moriko, look! Alkaline is budding! We're Grandparents!
>>
No. 899779 ID: 5fd619

>>899776
Just be honest. Which actually means telling her exactly what you listed as Deflection, only without being accusative. An emergency came up, is all.
>>
No. 899786 ID: 4f1cbc

>This is a dungeon. I won't be opening a cafe or a spa or anything like that for passing invaders. Providing shelter to them would erode the entire purpose of everything.
...what about as a trap?

Kidding aside, having the capacity to host guests could have some benefits if a situation like the merchant visit occurs again. Taking control of the valley as a safe place for your minions already satisfies this though. If it can house minions, it can house visitors. So long as they're visitors you can trust in the normally off limits areas.

>Alkaline's still budding. Reisarf and Stargazer are headed this way. Slowly, it looks like they're not in the best of shape. Moriko will be resurrected soon too, but I can only do so much at once. Who should I concentrate on?
Biggest priorities are probably the budding, and the wounded. Lucky you, you have two bodies so you can tend to slime and alien(ists) at the same time! (Or you can delegate, send someone else to assist R&S if you have the door open now).

Probably should offer Belphie a quick word of encouragement for his efforts before running off to tend to that. Be nice to provide similar reassurance to Moriko (and there will be a longer, private conversation due with her sooner rather than later) but I tending to immediate medical needs will take precedence over issues of the heart or spirit.
>>
No. 899787 ID: 33cbe7

>>899776
We didn't miss it, we were there for it. We are everywhere in the dungeon. We are the dungeon! We also knew the exact moment she died. We just weren't focusing higher thought processes on it at the time. It's the (subconscious) thought that counts.
>>
No. 899789 ID: b1b4f3

Actually... hmm, can Doyle splash some healing potion on Reisarf and Stargazer, since he just got bathed in healing magic?
>>
No. 899896 ID: 1dd514

>>899776
You forgot the most likely option, pretend we didn't miss anything, Deem is omniscient and perfect, but describe the fight to the others in your own words please.
>>
No. 899912 ID: 2007b6

Stay with Alkaline. She's been rushing into things too much, so set a good example for her with calm and patience.

Send Belphejar to go help Reisarf & Stargazer with whatever they need - probably healing potions, but alkaline already proved he can serve as the equivalent of a wheelchair if nothing else.

Merud should do some after-action analysis on the golems and start putting them back together. Tell him to get them ready for carpentry work or whatever other tasks he things might help with setting up longer-term habitation in the valley, since the passage leading there is mostly clear now.

Tell Hin and Chakarchelou to haul the alchemy lab equipment (and some miscellaneous clutter) off to the new alchemy lab, then start warming up the forge and figuring out what we might need in terms of carpentry tools. Not just the basics, either, try to have some ideas ready for magic items that the surge of mana from the next wave of adventurers could be used to create.
>>
No. 900248 ID: ab52c1
File 153597049363.png - (27.15KB , 600x750 , stargazer_will_remember_this_decision.png )
900248

>Hmm... The matrix rooms is getting crowded. Send Merud off to check on Reisarf. You are busy and even if you checked on them right now, you'd only be able to send golems to assist inadequately.
I enter the Resurrection Matrix and replace my homunculus, cradling Alkaline. "Merud, would you go and check on Reisarf?" I say. Hin and I both have our hands full at the moment. With slime, curiously enough. "Once you're sure he's fine, I need you to repair the destroyed golems."

>Actually... hmm, can Doyle splash some healing potion on Reisarf and Stargazer, since he just got bathed in healing magic?
His broth is biased towards healing now, but he's running on empty. I have my homunculus top him up with most of the slime milk and a dash of raw mana. That should help a little.

>Probably should offer Belphie a quick word of encouragement for his efforts before running off to tend to that.
I beckon him over and pat his lid. "Good boy, Belphe. Now go look after Reisarf and Stargazer." He quivers and scampers off.

With the conflict that's just happened there, it's easy for me to refocus my awareness on the Thaumatorium. It looks like they've used up an extraordinary amount of mana. Reisarf's Secondary Storage has been expended and Stargazer is in a battered looking overgrown form. She's visibly deflating, the mana consumption is clearly terrible compared to the lengthy periods she can sustain her un-augmented Independent Action.

I send a homunculus along too, on a mission to steal and then repair Reisarf's slightly scorched hat.
>>
No. 900249 ID: ab52c1
File 153597061191.png - (25.02KB , 600x750 , moriko_will_remember_this_decision.png )
900249

>Be nice to provide similar reassurance to Moriko (and there will be a longer, private conversation due with her sooner rather than later) but I tending to immediate medical needs will take precedence over issues of the heart or spirit.
I feel the pulse of healing energy again and Moriko staggers out of the Resurrection Matrix's sarcophagus. No side effects from surplus healing on her, which is a little worrying. Her vitality may be more depleted than I thought. I could just be over-reacting though; she's much stronger than typical denizens a dungeon in my state would normally have, so she takes more effort to heal.

>So... How do we break it to Moriko that we missed her heroic sacrifice?
I've never claimed to have perfect perception of everything that goes on in my dungeon. I have a sense of the tempo of the fight, that it was inconclusive until the pyromancer pulled out her bound spell. After that, things became far more frantic and there was a huge spike in mana expenditure.

The worrying thing is Moriko's predictive abilities probably should have let her dodge it.

Moriko looks at where I'm kneeling with Alkaline in my lap.

"We won." I tell her. Alkaline clutches at me and I look back down at my little slime princess. "She's budding." I say to Moriko, half apologetically.

"I'll wait outside." she says.

I track her position in my mind's eye. 'Outside' means outside my dungeon entirely. I send a golem after my hammerai to keep an eye on her.
>>
No. 900250 ID: ab52c1
File 153597067827.png - (13.81KB , 800x550 , fantastic_slime_prizes.png )
900250

>Stay with Alkaline. She's been rushing into things too much, so set a good example for her with calm and patience.
There's little to do but wait. I pat Alkaline and murmur encouragements.

Wait, it's splitting at least. My royal jelly's toughened membrane has given her trouble but here we go, a new slime! It doesn't look like much right now, but give it a few days to develop.

>Aw. I'll curb my desire for a Deem-themed shop then.
Not in the dungeon itself, anyway! Safe spots are fine in a dungeon but adventurers should feel that it is a short respite, not some sort of shopping arcade.

And dungeon shops should be quite predatory, as a rule. It's honestly a great kindness on the dungeon's part to be offering under-equipped adventurers a chance to rectify their mistakes.

>Kidding aside, having the capacity to host guests could have some benefits if a situation like the merchant visit occurs again. Taking control of the valley as a safe place for your minions already satisfies this though. If it can house minions, it can house visitors. So long as they're visitors you can trust in the normally off limits areas.
Oh yes, the denizen only sections are, as a rule, far more hospitable.

Not that my current dungeon has been a great example of that thus far... It's very early days still.

>Speaking of which, what are we going to do about post-battle injuries? I wonder if there's a point where natural recovery from wounds would take longer than shaking off resurrection sickness.
The presence of the Matrix introduces a certain frailty in fighting strength - the body and soul would rather flee than face serious injury. The depletion of stamina means recovery from resurrection is usually slower than healing of the relatively minor bruises and scrapes a surviving denizen would suffer from. I also have the slimy healing potions and the ones I bought from Liana if needed.
>>
No. 900251 ID: ab52c1
File 153597086473.png - (31.28KB , 500x800 , alkaline_will_remember_this_decision.png )
900251

I hold the squirming newborn slime to my chest and let my tired slime princess lean against me. Perhaps I should have shed more of this rocky carapace. I've depleted most of my mana. I'm content to sit here for the moment.

The first new life in my dungeon...

>Alkaline sees you as a bit of a mother figure.
>Alkaline is budding! We're grandparents!
Don't be idiots. I'd be a terrible example of either of those things.

Between the Delve and the invaders, my hoard is now 1103G. I feel a glow of contentment from that too. That absurd, narrow, new tunnel out towards the valley has thrown off the circulation of mana through my dungeon so I am only a little ahead of where I was, but that will ease up as I dig out more rooms.

Speaking of the valley, I should give everyone a few days to recover before I open up the tunnel completely. I'll be turning Hin back to normal at dawn tomorrow, showing Moriko the medition chamber to be, and will have to keep an eye on Alkaline and her new slime but I should be able to squeeze in one other activity:

Complete Forge: When I put on the finishing touches, I should be able to wrangle a minor magical item out of it with Hin's help.
Improve Dungeon Entrance: I should work with Merud to extend the Golem Totem to create a better thoroughfare and install some sort of puzzle or trap to slow down invaders.
Improve Golem: I can refine a golem into a stronger version with Merud's help. It means a little more work rebuilding them if they're destroyed in battle.
Brew Potions: Working with Doyle and Alkaline. Having extra potions on hand could be extremely useful if there's anything nasty in the valley.
Reading Lessons: Merud teaching Alkaline, Moriko and myself to read. Committing time to a low intensity task such as this might be a good idea while everyone recovers.
About A Boy: Reisarf hasn't been complaining about a few days of womanhood, but I should turn him back into a boy.
>>
No. 900252 ID: b7627b

>>900251
Let's just get Hin back to being bipedial and finish the forge.
>>
No. 900253 ID: ad51b8

>Improve Dungeon Entrance
not going to lie, after being jumped by 2 adventure parties now (and that's probably going to grow through word of mouth now) something to buy us more time to set things up when this happens again would be nice. Plus I do think some adventures to like some puzzles in their dungeon crawling to spice things up a little.
>>
No. 900254 ID: 33cbe7

Improve the dungeon entrance. Remove the bottleneck for quarrying and improve the bottleneck for adventurers so you have more time to get in position! That's extra important while we're still filling out the dungeon layout.
>>
No. 900255 ID: 575ec0

Reading Lessons.
It's easy, chill, and critical.

Reisarf can wait. Unless he has some sweetheart in town we don't know of.
As long as he's tended to before his first period, I don't think he'll care much.

The forge can be done after Hin is back in Top form, Puzzles are best left for after your literate, as writing gives you another dimension to work with, Golem improvements should wait until we work with the ones we have for a little bit, and the potions Idea is a waste of time, for now. If our Denizens can't handle whatever is in the valley, a few potions are unlikely to help.
>>
No. 900258 ID: 0c3c2c

>>900251
ABOUT A BOY

Seriously, we should really get on that. It isn't cool to permanently warp someone's biology without their permission, even by accident, and the longer we leave it the more difficult it might be to change him back.
>>
No. 900260 ID: 00e52f

>Don't be idiots. I'd be a terrible example of either of those things

that doesn't mean you're not one, bad mother figures exist (though you're doing quite fine so far.)
this is true regardless of whether or not you want it to be, this is not your decision to make, it is an unconscious part of Alkaline and can't be avoided or changed any more than her seeing herself at this stage as a child, and trying will bring only harm to everyone involved. please, just try to think about it, don't dismiss it out of hand. you're stronger than needing to turn away from the truth.
>>
No. 900261 ID: a98542

>>900251
>The first new life in my dungeon...
Hey hey, wait, wouldn't the terrible orange slime have been the first?

Also, About a boy. Dude deserves a break. And maybe it'll get Stargazer off of our backs.
>>
No. 900263 ID: 4e7715

Fix that boy.
>>
No. 900266 ID: 4f1cbc

>stargazer / moriko will remember these decisions!
Sorry girls, injuries, both physical and spiritual, lag behind children.

Reisarf and Stargazer should get words of thanks or praise the next time you see them. (Thanking / expressing appreciation for minions' effort after a conflict, whether they died or struck the winning blow is a good policy anyways).

>showing Moriko the [mediation] chamber to be
We are going to need to talk to her soon, she seemed shook up over her defeat, and there is the whole matter of being spiritually out of balance and the way she thinks of her heritage. That's going to require a frank and private conversation, and can't be allowed to fester. But allowing her some private meditation to come to terms with some of it might help.

>I should be able to squeeze in one other activity
>Improve Dungeon Entrance
More time to arrange your minions and study the opposition would be a big help in the next encounter.

>About A Boy
Tbh this feels like the lowest priority on the list, if Reisarf really isn't bothered by dsyphoria. It's a nice thing to do (assuming he/she isn't indifferent), but we're still operating on a very thin margin and most the other options give us concrete advantages we badly need.
>>
No. 900268 ID: 0d1514

>>900251
Reading lessons! Can't keep putting this off.
>>
No. 900274 ID: b1b4f3

>>900251
About A Boy. Don't leave your denizens cursed for longer than they have to.
>>
No. 900275 ID: dbf422

Improve Dungeon Entrance

Though I find that less important in the long run than uncursing Reisarf or relaxing with reading lessons, lately you've been scrambling to get ready and anything to help with that is more vital.
>>
No. 900284 ID: 5fd619

>>900251
Improve Dungeon Entrance: This might look like the highest priority thing to do on this list at first sight, but that's because we just had to fend off a hero. Which is, in fact, the reason why this isn't that urgent: we just got rid of a set, it's not likely for us to get invaded again today. This makes even more sense from a Doylist perspective, since having two adventurer groups in a row would induce player fatigue, but of course I'm not gonna tell Deem that.
Reading Lessons: Kind of important, but unfortunately there are way too many competing levels or urgency for it to take priority over anything. If you really need to read something and none of your famuli are available, we should be able to read it for you if you focus on the writing for a few seconds.
About A Boy: Reisarf may not care much, but Stargazer does. And we kind of owe her for that, since we (but not you) may have caused it.

Actually, since I'm touching on that subject, I think it's time we clarified something: what the hell are we? We're obviously not the same being since we can read and you can't, but it's also obvious that we're bound, since in normal circumstances you're the only one who can hear us.
>>
No. 900305 ID: d328bb

>>900284
We're obviously Deem's wet dreams and sexual fantasies.
>>
No. 900306 ID: 7c90bc

No option to try and deal with Moriko's reticence after her recent failures and doubt?
>>
No. 900308 ID: 0e2ebe

>>900306
Well I think that's being put off until we have some actual free time. Currently we're doing minor renovations, and recovering from the fight. Moriko needs more time and attention than Deem can currently afford, I think.
>>
No. 900310 ID: 094652

Brew Potions - You're still unprepared in the short term. Some boosts will keep you afloat against the next valley monster.
Complete Forge - And after you have the boosts, you need long-term assets. A magical item will be sufficient.
Improve Dungeon Entrance - When you're ready for raids, set up a nice entrance that doesn't repulse the investors dungeoneers and has enough space for the get construction golem team to do their job.
>>
No. 900313 ID: c0641d

We should ask Reisarf. Tell him if he wants to turn back today, he need only say the word. He’ll be the one to decide if it’s urgent enough. If not, expand the entrance.
>>
No. 900359 ID: 2007b6

Improve the dungeon entrance. Heroes keep showing up sooner than you expect, so a bit more time to prep and plan would probably go a long way toward making everyone less frazzled and frantic, and thus more combat-effective. Having that puzzle or trap already in place means it'll be there, watching your backs, while everyone's struggling to recover from whatever ridiculous catastrophe you inevitably stumble into over the course of scouting out the isolated valley.

Plus, it's an issue of both professional pride and effective earth-pulse mana management. First impressions help set a tone for the whole delve.
>>
No. 900366 ID: 2007b6

Also, once you've got the improved dungeon entrance set up and are almost ready to open up the valley, take Rei, Stargazer, and Moriko aside and explain your reasoning. "Please don't take it as a personal slight. When any of you are birthing your first child, I promise I'll give that event my full attention even if Alkaline is fighting a battle at the same time."
>>
No. 900550 ID: 2202fb

>>900366

Seconding this
>>
No. 900567 ID: 7c90bc

No no no, don't apologize and explain. Ancient and powerful dungeons don't apologize to their minions for not kissing their boo-boos. We've collected a array of eclectic but exceptional individuals, helping them deal with their problems is fine but babying them is not the right approach.
>>
No. 900582 ID: 2a7417

Send the Kallia homunculus out for Moriko, she has a face you can trust. And a modicum of modest clothing.
Improve the dungeon entrance now to restore your feng shui. That's the last time we are letting supper get interrupted by door-to-door bandits!
>>
No. 900583 ID: 5fd619

>>900567
Except for Alkaline. We're gonna baby the slime outta her.
>>
No. 900589 ID: 7c90bc

Hell yes, she gets all the babying.
>>
No. 900596 ID: 91ee5f

>>900251
Congratulations, it’s a.....actually, what is it, a boy or a girl?
>>
No. 900597 ID: 1a6fd4

>>900596
Congratulations, it's a slime!
>>
No. 900611 ID: 33cbe7

>>900583
I thought Alkaline was going to baby the slimes out of her.
>>
No. 900653 ID: 977456

Reading lessons would be nice, to calm and collect people, but alkaline will probably have trouble focusing with a new slime on hand.
Complete forge It would be good to get the forge and Hin up to standards at the same time.
>>
No. 900821 ID: 09e13b

Didn’t our plan for an army of adorable slime hoplites require them to have a bunch of spears? If so, we might want to work on the forge now that slimes are being born, since they can’t shapeshift sharp objects themselves and we’ll need to make them separately.

....also, I’m pretty sure Hin is our only employee who isn’t yet able to perform the job for which they were hired. And that’s on top of getting sick and being turned into a slime. Poor girl deserves something nice for a change, honestly.

Complete Forge
>>
No. 900823 ID: 2007b6

>>900821
Hin's done some forge work already, fabricating necessary parts for the Resurrection Matrix.
>>
No. 901124 ID: 09e13b

>>900258
Does Reisarf actually mind or want to switch back, though? I'm totally with you that we should be taking this seriously, but changing someone just because WE think they should mind the way they are isn't great either. It may be that Reisarf just don't have the sort of gender identity to be bothered by this.
>>
No. 901125 ID: 977456

Does Reisarf actually mind or want anything at all? There was that observatory? He thought the dungeon thing would be interesting? Or was that more just something to pass the time...
Getting opinions out of Reisarf is somewhat more difficult than getting Chakarchelou to voluntarily donate treasure...
>>
No. 901182 ID: 602317

Personally I'd be cool with Reisarf staying female. I think the main concern on that front is that Stargazer wants her husbando back.
>>
No. 901201 ID: 5c850a

>>901182
Our (collective) personal preferences in this matter are irrelevant. The only opinion that should count in this gender bending matter is Reisarif's since it happened to him and no one else, without formal consent.

Voting For about a boy. Now that the adventurer duo has been taken out, we need to speak with our alienist mage about possibly changing him back.
>>
No. 901230 ID: 575ec0

I still think there are more pressing things than Reisarf right now.

... We could just Ask him if he'd like us to make it a priority.
>>
No. 901243 ID: 4f1cbc

>>901230
His initial reaction was to offer reassurance that it wasn't a priority.
>>/questarch/850746
>Reisarf hastily holds up a hand. "Don't worry about me right now. It doesn't hurt or anything. You don't have to fix everything right away."

Followed, shortly after, by instructions to tell Deem if this changes.
>>/questarch/850932
>"If these changes give you any trouble, tell me." I say to Reisarf before I leave. "If you decide you need to change back, I can make it my top priority."
>He agrees in that vague way of his.

I mean, it's cool and all that so many people want to do right by our people here, don't get me wrong, but I feel like there may be some projecting going on.

>>901182
If Stargazer has an issue with the current situation and Reisarf is ignoring it or unaware... well if there's a communication problem between two beings that are supposed to be close partners seems like a bigger problem to address than the gender swap, honestly.
>>
No. 901257 ID: 575ec0

>>901243
Eh. Still.
The situation has changed, things aren't as desperate. And a little time has passed. Enough for him to let the situation sink in perhaps.

Whether or not suggesters are projecting on the situation, it couldn't hurt to ask again.
>>
No. 901432 ID: ab52c1
File 153676448332.png - (31.92KB , 700x700 , youre_next.png )
901432

>It isn't cool to permanently warp someone's biology without their permission, even by accident, and the longer we leave it the more difficult it might be to change him back.
>Does Reisarf actually mind or want to switch back, though? I'm totally with you that we should be taking this seriously, but changing someone just because WE think they should mind the way they are isn't great either. It may be that Reisarf just don't have the sort of gender identity to be bothered by this.
>Does Reisarf actually mind or want anything at all? There was that observatory? He thought the dungeon thing would be interesting? Or was that more just something to pass the time...
>Getting opinions out of Reisarf is somewhat more difficult than getting Chakarchelou to voluntarily donate treasure...
I think I'm going to change Reisarf back just to put an end to this arguing. Getting definite opinions out of him is an exercise in frustration.

Belphe's slime milk and resurrection matrix fuelled healing left Reisarf and Stargazer feeling quite parched so I send them back to the thaumatorium to clean up and re-hydrate. I tell them and Hin I'll need them up at dawn so they should get an early night.

It's not ideal sending Reisarf and Stargazer to the scene of their last battle to unwind but ah well.

>Hey hey, wait, wouldn't the terrible orange slime have been the first?
That... does not count.

I wasn't awake for it nor was my Heart installed.

>We are going to need to talk to her soon, she seemed shook up over her defeat, and there is the whole matter of being spiritually out of balance and the way she thinks of her heritage. That's going to require a frank and private conversation, and can't be allowed to fester.
I feel she needs to approach me to talk about it first. If I pursue her she'll retreat.

>Send the Kallia homunculus out for Moriko, she has a face you can trust. And a modicum of modest clothing.
I really do need to rework that golem to have less of a resemblance to Kallia now its purpose as a lesson has been fulfilled.

With Merud busy restoring golems and everyone else suitable worn out from the battle it's down to Hin and myself to mind slimes. They seem to like Hin.

I later go to check on Reisarf and Stargazer and find them weakly paddling around the pool. I fish them out before they can fall asleep in there or drink too much of it.

>Actually, since I'm touching on that subject, I think it's time we clarified something: what the hell are we? We're obviously not the same being since we can read and you can't, but it's also obvious that we're bound, since in normal circumstances you're the only one who can hear us.
Is this another one of your jokes? I'm not laughing! You belong to me, you can't be that deteriorated. If you don't know then...
>>
No. 901433 ID: ab52c1
File 153676451006.png - (38.16KB , 500x800 , hi_remember_me.png )
901433

Listen!

Still your heart, do not spend yourself in spite and fury.

Sleep in silence and do not dream.

>>
No. 901434 ID: ab52c1
File 153676462830.png - (25.62KB , 800x550 , all_fixed_probably_forever.png )
901434

... it doesn't really matter.

Shortly before dawn I wake up Hin, Reisarf and Stargazer. I might need my alienist to provide more formless curses should something go wrong when I remove the bangle from Hin. Some cacoffee wakes him up. The orange slime ends up having to come along too. I place it in a pot so it cannot get underfoot during the proceedings.

Dawn comes, and I open the damaged clasp on the Fixity Bangle. Slime sloughs away and then there's Hin back on her feet.

"Wheeh!" she says shifting from one foot to another. "Sliming around was kind of interesting but, you know, legs."

"Hold still, I need to check you're fine."

"I'm fine, I'm fine." No side effects as far as I can tell. It looks like we can put this gristleworm business behind us at last.

The orange slime is rocking in its pot. It seems confused about where its friend has gone. That's the strongest reaction I've seen from it yet. A little encouraging really. It seemed it might go around living in its vague way until the day it falls apart. I point this out to Reisarf and Hin.

"You mean you think she might develop a stronger sense of self if she keeps experiencing emotional distress?" Reisarf says.

"That's," I say, "an interesting way to put that."

hin's back to normal, now I need to clean up.

Acquired Hin Goo!

I'll just... set this aside for now.
>>
No. 901435 ID: ab52c1
File 153676482980.png - (26.24KB , 800x550 , expository_diagram.png )
901435

"Next I want to start looking at turn you back into a boy." I tell Reisarf.

"OK." he says.

I am working with extremely crude tools at the moment but despite some oddities in its specifics, this isn't a particularly unfamiliar problem. Though I'd usually be creating chimeras instead of reducing one...

In essence, Reisarf has been contaminated by Stargazer. He's become taller, gained a touch of Stargazer mana/matter equivalency and become a girl. I can fix this in a way similar to my boss reinforcement spells by using an overbearing amount of my magic to scour the contamination off him, preferably pushing it into another container to avoid any mishaps.

The complication is that Reisarf has acquired a very useful mana storing skill - his Secondary Storage - that I would prefer for him to retain. It's an ideal match for his mana intensive fighting style. There's a few ways for me to tackle the restoration.

I can scrub it entirely. Reisarf will be back to normal but lose the skill.

I can transplant the contamination onto someone else in its entirety. Someone female, obviously. The skill is likely to warp and degrade due to lower compatibility or, in Stargazer's case, simply be reabsorbed.

Finally there is a targeted solution. For this to work, I would need to figure out a means of identifying the mana storing properties and anchoring them while I expel the other elements or to target the elements causing the physical changes to precisely excise them. There is a risk of damaging the qualities I wish to retain however.
>>
No. 901436 ID: 73a9f5

Clearly if we transplant it to Hin, it'll provide important physiological enhancements.
>>
No. 901437 ID: a255bd

>Shortly before dawn
aaaand we've got missing time. this cyan business officially turned from disconcerting to creepy.
(ignore that, deem. it was for the other voices)

>>901435
ultimately, that's not our choice to make, it's reisarf and stargazer's. explain to them the risks and benefits of each choice and ask their opinion. yes, stargazer's too, she's affected by this as well.
personally i am in favor of option 2 and return the contaminant to stargazer since no one else needs it, and because there hadn't been a successful fix to a problem on the first try since we woke up. not once. i feel this is a kind of dangerous thing to be messing with and possibly break, we might turn him into a futa.
>>
No. 901438 ID: d2e2ce

We love you too Deem, but as far as we're aware we came into being when you woke up and got Chakarchelou.

I like the targeted solution, it's not too urgent an issue now we're committed and it's a handy skill to have. Clearly to identify the bits responsible for mana storage you need to study the process. Have Stargazer and Reisarf keep swapping mana while you watch.
>>
No. 901439 ID: b7627b

>>901436
As amusing as that would be, I question Hin's ability to control it properly, and it'd likely be better if it stayed on a full-time caster such as Reisarf.

>>901434
Would it be possible to feed our orange slime some of the Hin slime?

>>901435
I'm definitely leaning towards the Targeted Solution as it's a useful skill for him to have, but rather than trying to identify the specific components and isolating them, would it be possible to anchor the properties in both Stargazer and Reisarf? Essentially reinforcing their connection further in one aspect, and possibly allowing Reisarf to toggle the ability on and off as the situation demands.

In other words, Mahou Shoujo Reisarf transformation sequence so Stargazer isn't the only one who gets to try that.
>>
No. 901460 ID: 33cbe7

Dammit, this is why we can't have nice things.
Those are all terrible options, all downsides with no benefit balancing them out. It's like asking which finger you want cut off to lose weight - preferably, you'd like to keep all your fingers and just go on a diet!
Instead, go with this >>901439 and reinforce the connection between Reisarf and Stargazer. If anything, strengthening the bond between the pair is a good thing. Allow the tide to ebb and flow if you must.

Try playing peekaboo with the slime. The constant disappearance and reappearance of its caretakers should be quite the emotional rollercoaster.
>>
No. 901461 ID: b1b4f3

>>901435
Ok so it's either 1, break the skill
2, transfer the skill and fuck it up
3, keep the skill and MAYBE fuck it up

Targeted Solution. I mean why are we even doing this if it'll make Reisarf weaker? He's not complaining, and Stargazer doesn't seem to be complaining either.
Have Reisarf move mana around again like he did before when you were teaching him. Take your time with it and explain why you need to take your time with it. Actually I wonder, will he even want to change after you explain how the "curse" works? They were close before, now it's like they're even closer. Or maybe now that you know how it works, Stargazer can directly influence the transformation and fix it herself? Or heck, maybe Stargazer can figure out a way to push it even further and merge with her alienist temporarily for a big power boost.

Well it's either that or transfer it into Moriko to try to beef her up some more, since she's our strongest ally at the moment. Might want to ask her if she wants that though.
>>
No. 901465 ID: 5fd619

>>901433
Damn, denied. Seems like we're yet another Forbidden Topic. All we get to know for now is that we're something that belongs to Deem.

>>901435
Hmm, I'm not liking any of them. I'm definitely not liking deciding this for them, If Reisarf insists on not giving definite answers I'd rather have him translate for Stargazer, it's her own essence after all. All those options have downsides and not much of an upside, so I'm not seeing any future in any of them.

>>901439
On the other hand, THIS. If this is doable, it's clearly the superior option by far.
>>
No. 901466 ID: 1a6fd4

>>901437
>we might turn him into a futa
You say it like it'd be a bad thing.
>>
No. 901469 ID: 575ec0

Yo.
Transplant
To Yourself

Even if it degrades the ability, any way for you to be able to store more mana is totally vital. I get that you probably can't apply it to the heart, but your primary golem could totally use more mana, especially if you plan on being a boss more often.
>>
No. 901471 ID: b1b4f3

>>901469
I feel like that's impossible. Deem isn't organic nor humanoid so there shouldn't be anything to attach to. Her golem doesn't count, it's a temporary body.
>>
No. 901472 ID: debc40

I'd say targeted solution. Is there perhaps some sort of exotic or unusual mana that we could have him absorb into that storage, which you would then be able to sense clearly while you work? I'm thinking about how some medical procedures involve injecting the patient with a sort of reactive dye or luminous substance that binds to only certain things in the body and makes them more visible. Though you're probably not familiar with that concept.
>>
No. 901475 ID: deec6e

Huh, so Stargazer got magically silly-putty'd into Reisarf? I wonder how that happened...

Erm... would something bad/strange result if we had unknowingly separated them, considering their state? Would Stargazer have snapped in twain? Or is this the sort of chimeric connection that transcends ordinary boundaries?

>>901469

That's true... if it would work, extra mana for Deem sure would be handy.

That said, Reisarf needs that bigger mana tank in order to be an efficient combatant and I have no doubt the larger capacity played into Team Alienist unexpectedly winning the fight earlier. Let's just stick with the Targeted Solution as the best option out of those we have.

Incidentally Deem, you said you were working with crude tools here. Would there be a way to work with finer tools if we gave it a little time and thought? Could Hin construct a magical, I don't know, essence funnel or Alienist tuning fork or whatnot to make this easier?

Ah, and don't forget to show Moriko the Meditation Chamber.
>>
No. 901499 ID: 0c3c2c

>>901435
Can we try a targeted solution with Merud providing his skills in golem manufacture (it'll be good practice for him) and Belphejar providing medical treatment? It might be unreasonably difficult, but the alternative I see is transferring the contamination into one of our homonculi. That might make it an even more powerful body, though it runs the risk of making it become a living thing outright if we get too much of Stargazer's organic nature inside it.
>>
No. 901510 ID: ffdd5f

>>901469
Okay, I'm gonna stop you there. There's three good reasons why transplanting to Deem isn't the best idea.

1: the last time Deem tried to cast a spell without using her heart directly resulted in damaging herself further and being comatose overnight.

2: the heart fragment is leaking mana as well and will likely result in Deem geting mana/spellcasting abilities anyways

3: guiding our minions development solely for our OWN benefit and not theirs was already discussed and decided against. (this happened when secondary storage was voted for, even!)

That said... Unless we can get Hin to make the more advanced tools needed for targeted solution, I'm going to suggest we transplant to Alkaline. Sure the skill will degrade but that's better than getting rid of it entirely or performing what seems to amount to invasive magic surgery with little more than the crystal lens and Deem's senses.

And let's be honest. Getting another skill is basically tuesday for alkaline.
>>
No. 901512 ID: 0c3c2c

>>901510
Doesn't she have too many skills already?

Also, it's not exactly for our benefit. It's more I didn't want to risk transforming anyone else. That would be.... unamusing for Deem.
>>
No. 901516 ID: 094652

I vote we do nothing and let the infection spread. It's part of Reisarf's connection to Stargazer, something we should encourage over time. If you think it's dangerous though...

Can we create a homunculus based on Reisarf IN Reisarf and transfer the infection to that instead? Having an attached twin sister-thing would make for a good battery while also minimizing the damage to the new skill tree.
>>
No. 901523 ID: 575ec0

Solely for our own benefit would be scrubbing it clean. Fast, easy, out of the way.
It's that just getting rid of it would be a waste.
Who else are we gonna put it on?

Chimerizing Alkaline will probably have a whole host of unforeseen effects, but we're supposed to be specializing her at this point. We might end up locking in something weird or losing a better, more synergistic effect.

Moriko is primarily a melee fighter, and likely wouldn't want to be chimerized anyway, Hin isn't actually employed as a fighter so it would be wasted on her, and as far as we know Merud doesn't dream of womanhood.

Also, just because last time we tried magic it went awry, doesn't mean we can't try again, but more carefully. Mastering the in's and outs of our broken heart should be somewhat of a priority.

Alternatively, I'm not wholly against the third option of trying to let Reisarf keep it while turning him into a boy again, but...
>I am working with extremely crude tools at the moment...
>-target the elements causing the physical changes to precisely excise them...
...Trying to perform surgery with kitchen knives is a bad idea, no matter how experienced the surgeon is.
Not to mention this is surely the most time-consuming method and there are other things to do.
>>
No. 901563 ID: 977456

Question: What would happen if it was transferred to Worst Slime?
Stabilising that critter would be great for morale. Shoving mana into it would probably make it explode, but mana storage is sort of the inverse of that, and might provide a 'well' from which to draw or store mana imbalances from its channels that would otherwise overwhelm or starve its capacities. An infusion of Stargazer's identity would also likely fill in many gaps in its own nature...

Could you derive a specialised mana suppressor akin to your amulet that would starve Stargazer's influence?
A temporary solution that could be attached or removed at will would be the easy way out.

Transfer to Worst Slime!
>>
No. 901565 ID: fd0bee

If Deem homunculus body receive the transplant wouldn't Stargazer get to feed on her mana leakage before it liquefy? Compared to Reisarf it would be like an unlimited amount. Of course would also mean Stargazer would be in constant contact with physical mana, who knows what effects this could have...

I vote for Kome suggestions. One is sensible the other is fun.
>>
No. 901566 ID: 1a6fd4

>>901469
Whoa hey that's amazing

>>901563
Shit that's great too. Voting for this for the short term, transfer to Deem once we're sure it's stable enough to survive on its own.
>>
No. 901582 ID: d8ce3a

>>901563
Yeah, I like this idea. Stabilizing the Terrible slime could gain us another useful minion, and avoiding the worst case scenario of it dying, having ANY ability as opposed to none could only help it, even if the ability mutates, right?
>>
No. 901584 ID: 5fd619

>>901563
B-but muh Magical Girl Reisarf... fine, count me in. Let's save this slime.
>>
No. 901603 ID: 575ec0

Of course, that slime is so pathetic that this operation might outright kill it.
>>
No. 901608 ID: a62780

>>901563
No th-... hmm.
That seems like an inventive potential solution to two problems. I'd certainly like to see if it would work, especially since the poor slime's shown a reaction to something. (Speaking of which, I'd definitely not limit testing to just 'emotional distress' right off the bat without checking other stimuli)
>>
No. 901609 ID: a6405f

You should really have a serious conversation with Reisarf and Stargazer (with Reisarf acting as the intermediary since they seem to understand her). You need to get opinions out of Reisarf even if you have to be a tad (verbally) harsh. You really dont want to unintentionally force them into doing something they dont want to do just because they bottle it up. Additionally, while very unlikely, they could be manipulating or plotting against you and you would never know it.

If you still cant dredge anything out of them, you should see what Stargazer wants you to do since she seems to be much more opinionated than Reisarf.

To clarify, this should be done BEFORE you start making physiological changes.

---

You really need to look into the blue thingy we told you about a while back. You didn't (and probably still dont) believe it exists, but it does. You are a strong-willed individual and I doubt you really want to be manipulated by something you can't even remember. The argument could be made that we could be the ones manipulating you, so you will just have to take a leap of faith. We dont have any real knowledge of magic and eldritch forces outside of what you have told us, so lets try to prove that the blue thing exists. What if we projected the circle and glyphs we saw in the blue thing to you? Would you be able to understand what it means and what such a circle would be used for? You have minions/companions that arent recognized as enemies of the church, so they could do some research. It isn't a good idea to let this sit. We have already been shown variations of your being crucified (chains, not nails) from blue, and now they are taunting us. (apologies if i am forgetting anything already established)
>>
No. 901610 ID: a6405f

>>901516

This could actually work. If we do end up getting rid of the influence in Reisarf, if we migrate all of the corruption to the homunculus (probably will be a gradual thing) we could just sever the connection like an umbilical cord
>>
No. 901620 ID: a255bd

>>901609
she literally can't remember it. getting her to understand what we're talking about without thinking about what we're talking about is gonna be hard.


fuck it, worth a shot.
ok i have a question. it's not a joke, not messing around, and you'll have to trust me that i know what i'm talking about even though it sounds dumb; how in control are you of your own thoughts? if i told you something, would you be able to stop yourself from thinking of related subjects and implications if i warned you to do so ahead of time?
i know i wouldn't be able to, but you're ancient and wise so it's worth asking.
>>
No. 901630 ID: 203335

>>901609
There is a chance it is a self-containing secret for Deem, and possibly others. As in, trying to provide information beyond a certain point causes the information to edit itself out of memory or simply cannot be recognized when past a certain point of complexity.

Perhaps eventually a solution or explanation will be found, but it may not come if you try to force it.
>>
No. 901632 ID: 977456

I think that the best chance is to try to reassemble herself with witnesses. It should produce a nice flashy "no heart repairs for you" message and is something that she can probably be persuaded to pursue. Of course, if she does repair her heart, then maybe she loses the golem interface, which might bother Moriko for some reason...
>>
No. 901634 ID: 10c408

>>901630
Let's not fuck around with the evident and poorly understood source of skypower that broke Deem, forced her to sleep for thousands of years and then blew up her first golem.
>>
No. 901637 ID: 5fd619

>>901609
>>901620
>>901632
Guys, every time someone mentions that she ends up having an... episode. No matter how oblique the reference. We should have said something to Moriko while we could, or maybe Stargazer (not that I think she'd have done anything to help, but anything that got that info out is a good thing), but I don't think there's anything we can do about it right now. We'll just have to wait until everything goes to shit again; knowing Deem's luck, we won't have to wait too long. In-game, at least.
>>
No. 901646 ID: 2007b6

>>901563
Yeah, this solves two problems at once. Grafting a gender onto Worst Slime might help give it/her enough self-concept for resurrection, and they've already got the orange color scheme in common.
>>
No. 901662 ID: b7627b

Before you act, as >>901609 said, be sure to ask both Reisarf and Stargazer about it, as the 'contamination' is a part of Stargazer, and she might disapprove of further disruptions to their symbiotic relationship.
Or she might want the part of her back once asked, though I imagine she might like the vitality boost Reisarf has gotten.
>>
No. 901669 ID: a255bd

>>901637
yes, you're right.
i have an idea but we can't talk about it here. come with me to the disthread:
https://tgchan.org/kusaba/questdis/res/94347.html#125439
>>
No. 901670 ID: b1b4f3

>>901669
Wow, that's clever.

>>901435
Deem! We have a secret, one we can't tell you, but we can tell Merud. Would you trust him with such a secret? Or any of your other minions?
>>
No. 901934 ID: afdebc

>I feel she needs to approach me to talk about it first. If I pursue her she'll retreat.
That's probably a fair assessment.

>"Wheeh!" she says shifting from one foot to another. "Sliming around was kind of interesting but, you know, legs."
Deem understands. There's a reason she has that spider-form. Legs are fun.

>The orange slime is rocking in its pot. It seems confused about where its friend has gone.
Awwwww.

>>901435
Step 1 is you explain what the problem is (and step 2, what you're planning to do about it). Reisarf is a mage, and Stargazer is Stargazer- they're both in a position to actually understand this stuff and should be kept in the loop. Whether not not Reisarf ever expresses an opinion other than indifference.

I'd also like to reiterate this is not a pressing problem. You can take the time to study and implement your chosen solution, if necessary. A few days or a week to make sure Reisarf gets to keep the new ability and other benefits, and remove what we want to remove, and to limit side effects, is worth the delay.

I feel like whatever you do should be targeted, in that there's only a specific part of the contamination we want removed. (Even if you go with a transplant, we want a targeted transplant, not a wholesale one).

Is suppression an option? Either target the "girl" part of the alien-goo mana circuit or the whole thing with an enchantment that forces it into an inoperative state, and you've got an on-off switch.
>>
No. 901952 ID: dbf422

>>901934
I don't have strong feelings about the Reisarf situation, but this all seems the most comprehensive way to go about it.
>>
No. 902019 ID: 977456

Ask if it is normal for Alienists to fuse with theira associated Aliens.
It is entirely possible that Reisarf actually intends to take the fast-track to tentacle-town with Stargazer at the wheel.
>>
No. 902725 ID: ab52c1
File 153759593853.png - (29.55KB , 800x550 , mazes_and_monsters.png )
902725

>Transplant
>To Yourself
>Even if it degrades the ability, any way for you to be able to store more mana is totally vital.
My Heart can store far more mana and I can replenish the mana available to my golem body from it whenever I wish. Barring some new way to convert other sources into mana for me, there wouldn't be much benefit.

>You really need to look into the blue thingy we told you about a while back.
What blue thing? You're not talking about Hin, are you? That's quite rude. It is hardly my favourite colour but I suppose it works for her.

>Would it be possible to feed our orange slime some of the Hin slime?
Well, it probably wouldn't hurt. I'd better double-check Hin is fine with it though.

>Hin isn't actually employed as a fighter so it would be wasted on her, and as far as we know Merud doesn't dream of womanhood.
Mana storage is useful for enchanting but it's mostly made redundant by the forge once it's complete as I'll do most of the heavy lifting for mana supply.

>Question: What would happen if it was transferred to Worst Slime?
>Stabilising that critter would be great for morale. Shoving mana into it would probably make it explode, but mana storage is sort of the inverse of that, and might provide a 'well' from which to draw or store mana imbalances from its channels that would otherwise overwhelm or starve its capacities.
I don't know if it'd have the awareness to use it. There is some complexity to this after all.

>Of course, that slime is so pathetic that this operation might outright kill it.
And considering its frailty, I have doubts whether it would survive the transplant.

>OK I have a question. It's not a joke, not messing around, and you'll have to trust me that I know what I'm talking about even though it sounds dumb: how in control are you of your own thoughts? If I told you something, would you be able to stop yourself from thinking of related subjects and implications if I warned you to do so ahead of time?
Of course. I am amazing. A master of mazes, regardless of whether they are in the head or a mess of twisty corridors, all alike. They're not to be made carelessly though. They can be made to enlighten visitors or to trap evil spirits. Sometimes you might find a minotaur within, a cursed child too precious to discard but too painful to keep in plain view. You should always keep in mind the intentions of their creator.

>Deem! We have a secret, one we can't tell you, but we can tell Merud. Would you trust him with such a secret? Or any of your other minions?
You're not talking to Merud.
>>
No. 902726 ID: ab52c1
File 153759599858.png - (31.96KB , 800x500 , and_then_i_won.png )
902726

>Try playing peekaboo with the slime. The constant disappearance and reappearance of its caretakers should be quite the emotional rollercoaster.
I'm dealing with this so sadly that duty must be passed to Hin and Alkaline.

"Actually, while you're here, I wasn't able to watch the end of your fight as closely as I wanted to. How did it go after Moriko went down?" I say to Reisarf and Stargazer.

Reisarf thinks for a moment. "Well the curses weren't accumulating as well as I'd hoped and it looked like trying to draw things out wasn't going to work. So I asked Stargazer to use her Independent Action since their fighting man was looking worse off and continuously used my Stray Illumes to keep the wizard busy since she didn't use many spells. Stargazer managed to tangle the man up so I shot them both with a big spell."

I look at Stargazer. She doesn't look very blown up. "The fighter and Stargazer or both invaders?"

"She was at the water's edge so she slipped free at the last moment." Reisarf clarifies. I think he means Stargazer.

"Right, go on."

"Well the cat then used a really big spell, so I had to use one back just to try and block it."

I lean forward. "Then what?"

"Then I used a second one and won."

That really is a prohibitive amount of mana for a normal mage to be using in a single engagement...

>Incidentally Deem, you said you were working with crude tools here. Would there be a way to work with finer tools if we gave it a little time and thought?
Weeks or months from now, yes.

>You should really have a serious conversation with Reisarf and Stargazer (with Reisarf acting as the intermediary since they seem to understand her). You need to get opinions out of Reisarf even if you have to be a tad (verbally) harsh.
I explain what the potential complications are in returning Reisarf back to his more masculine, more compact normal form.

"So you're both absolutely sure you're OK to go ahead?"

Reisarf nods. Stargazer looks at him and then waggles too.

Well, I tried.
>>
No. 902728 ID: ab52c1
File 153759606445.png - (27.77KB , 800x550 , redistribution_of_power.png )
902728

>I vote we do nothing and let the infection spread. It's part of Reisarf's connection to Stargazer, something we should encourage over time. If you think it's dangerous though...
It's not an infection, it's more like a stain. Or maybe you could say Reisarf is wearing clothes that formerly belonged to Stargazer?

>Can we create a homunculus based on Reisarf IN Reisarf and transfer the infection to that instead?
I'm not impregnating Reisarf with some sort of homunculus clone.

>If Deem homunculus body received the transplant wouldn't Stargazer get to feed on her mana leakage before it liquefy? Compared to Reisarf it would be like an unlimited amount. Of course would also mean Stargazer would be in constant contact with physical mana, who knows what effects this could have...
There's no remaining connection to Stargazer. I could just start feeding her more raw mana if I wanted to see what happens.

>Rather than trying to identify the specific components and isolating them, would it be possible to anchor the properties in both Stargazer and Reisarf? Essentially reinforcing their connection further in one aspect, and possibly allowing Reisarf to toggle the ability on and off as the situation demands.
That's a very good idea! I am very good at seals after all. Let me think, if I can attach it to the bond between them, it ought to be possible to push it back and forth as needed. I just need to redirect things to maintain the seal, it's a minor tweak so I should be to do it if I... I need to be sure how much like a normal familiar Stargazer is... I think I had someone with a jellyfish once, that should be reasonably close...

I explain my solution to the two of them.

They stare blankly at me and nod.
>>
No. 902731 ID: ab52c1
File 153759631487.png - (33.28KB , 600x750 , its_a_boy.png )
902731

I finish up late that night.

I'd forgotten how short Reisarf is. I suppose the fact I'm wearing heels doesn't help either. I'm feeling a little precarious bending over like this.

"Ta-dah!" I say to them. "How do you feel?"

"Shorter." Reisarf says. Stargazer wiggles at me from her shoulder perch.

"Your bones aren't trying to change shape or anything?"

Reisarf yawns. "Should that normally be happening?"

"There's a first for everything." I should probably be more reassuring but it's hard to resist the temptation to try and get an actual reaction out of Reisarf. "They can change shape, under the right circumstances though. I have not really changed anything, merely moved things around. There's a few interesting future possibilities as a result, but basically I've tightened the connection you two have so Stargazer is minding that piece while you don't need it.

>Ask if it is normal for Alienists to fuse with their associated Aliens.
>It is entirely possible that Reisarf actually intends to take the fast-track to tentacle-town with Stargazer at the wheel.
"Actually, this was almost too easy. Is it particularly common for alienists to fuse in some way with their companions?"

He squeezes Stargazer. "Sometimes, I think?" I don't like how Stargazer is looking at me all of a sudden.

"Ah. Anyway the downside is getting access to your Secondary Storage will also cause the physical changes to come back - they're all lumped together in the same parcel."

"OK." I think he's half asleep. He has had a long day and is still recovering from yesterday's fight.

"Well you two had best get to bed."

He nods and shambles off.

>Stargazer want the part of her back once asked, though I imagine she might like the vitality boost Reisarf has gotten.
That was from exercise, not from this.

Now, the next major thing to take care of is opening up the valley tunnel and proving it's safe. I need another day or two to prepare, just to be sure everyone's recovered, but who should I take with me to explore?
>>
No. 902732 ID: 10c408

Take Moriko with you. Now that things in your dungeon have stabilized, we don't have the same excuse we do when we reversed-crawled vs all of those imps.

The only two problems I can see occuring is if another pesky adventurer appears and the devil bear attacks our dungeon for funsies!
>>
No. 902734 ID: 2e0f31

Hin and Moriko. Hin to stretch her newly regained legs, and Moriko to have her working by your side again.
>>
No. 902735 ID: 5fd619

>>902731
Hah. We got Magical Girl Reisarf after all.
Moriko, definitely. Unless you definitely need somebody else, it may be the perfect time to have a one-on-one with her about her... let's call it "health issues".
>>
No. 902736 ID: fd0bee

Take our sad hammerai and our underutilized drake.
>>
No. 902741 ID: dbf422

>>902734
This. Good reasons, plus it's better than just Moriko because Hin is a decent social buffer.
>>
No. 902752 ID: 977456

You should take Moriko for a romantic stroll well-armed foray and a Brute Golem to carry the picnic for baggage, distraction, and stalling actions as necessary.
Merud should be fine to excavate additional living-space with your other golems while you are out.

>I'm not impregnating Reisarf with some sort of homunculus clone.
You'll never have grandchildren if you keep that attitude!
>>
No. 902756 ID: a255bd

>>902731
just moriko so you could talk on the way, if she's not too tired after dying.

>>902739
dude, you're not helping. our source is one of the forbidden topics.
>>
No. 902762 ID: 0c3c2c

>>902731
Moriko. You two need to spend more time together to help her trust you. Also, the valley will, hopefully, not be full of monsters but it will be full of greenery. If not Moriko, then Merud.

...Also, Stargazer clearly has Romantic/Wants-To-Be-Eternally-One-With intentions towards her companion.
>>
No. 902773 ID: 2007b6

Moriko and Chakarchelou should come along into the valley. Prep some sort of breath-weapon reinforcement as an area attack, just in case you run into a big cluster of hostiles.

While you're exploring the valley, have Hin work on getting the forge the rest of the way set up. Likewise, give Merud some time to play around in the Golem Totem, and set up a nicer-looking front door that challenges intruders to a riddle contest or something. Alkaline's got her kids to take care of, Belphejar can work on brewing up some food, and Reisarf gets to be in charge of sorting out any miscellaneous problems that may arise which, for whatever reason, can't wait until you get back.
>>
No. 902782 ID: d8ce3a

>>902728
>>I'm not impregnating Reisarf with some sort of homunculus clone.

AH, but you could if you wanted to huh? Filing that one away for later.

For exploring, Take Merud and a Brute golem. He should be the least exhausted at this point, having not had to go through a revival or major body modification.
>>
No. 902784 ID: 1a6fd4

>>902739
Hey you. Stop that. You're making Deem suspicious, and the only thing that'll achieve is ruining our other plans.

>>902752
>You'll never have grandchildren if you keep that attitude!
said Anon, right after Alkaline had her first slime.
>>
No. 902805 ID: b1b4f3

>>902784
Fair enough.

>>902731
>You're not talking to Merud.
What? Why can't we talk to your minions?
>maze of the mind
So you could, for example, answer a question without thinking of the answer?

>Reisarf with Secondary Storage is kindof scary strong
Nice.

>who to explore with you
Moriko! You'll get a good chance to talk to her in private, ask how she's doing after meditating. Also uh, we didn't find out what happened in the rest of the fight that you missed, before she died. Might be worth asking how she got surprised by the spellgun.
>>
No. 902819 ID: a255bd

>>902756
Arhra, ignore that second one please, he deleted his post but it's too late for me to delete mine.
>>
No. 902822 ID: afdebc

>so I shot them both with a big spell."
>"Well the cat then used a really big spell, so I had to use one back just to try and block it."
>"Then I used a second one and won."
So to summarize, Reisarf's winning strategy was to blow them up, counter the cat's explosion with a bigger explosion, then blow them up again.

>I'm not impregnating Reisarf with some sort of homunculus clone.
Hey, if there were ever one of your minions that would be unconcerned about that kind of thing, it's Reisarf. Worth remembering if we ever need someone for clone pregnancies.

>"Ah. Anyway the downside is getting access to your Secondary Storage will also cause the physical changes to come back - they're all lumped together in the same parcel."
I'm sure it will really bother Reisarf that he now has his own magical girl transformation. Or that he can be a girl, or tall, whenever he want to. This is a feature, not a bug.
>>
No. 902913 ID: 575ec0

>>902731
Moriko and Chakarchelou, Deffo.
>>
No. 902993 ID: 8d9368

I'm out of the loop how many angel bones have we collected? enough?
>>
No. 903003 ID: 575ec0

>>902993
You can never have enough DEAD ANGELS angel bones but since we're about to have outside access, we could feasably collect Sky mana. We'd need to build a series of pools, canals, siphons, and pumps to get it all working, but it's feasible.

The hard part would be getting deem to agree.
>>
No. 903476 ID: fae931

>>902993
>>903003
what. we're not a sky-dungeon and are not trying to be one. wtf are you talking about.

>>902731
i've been thinking about this. the next big thing is not opening up the valley tunnel, that can wait a day. what can't wait is a talk with Moriko.
people just died, including Moriko. i'm worried they'll be too exhausted to be effective. if her exhaustion causes her to miss something and you get attacked or something happens during the recon, she'll take that as a personal failure and make things even worse. not to mention you really shouldn't push her any more when she's already obviously over the edge.
i think it's better to tell her about the meditation room and wait with opening the tunnel for when you have combat-ready people.
>>
No. 903482 ID: 977456

Deem could meditate too. This whole golem-body thing is weird and new. Has she taken the time to just map-out her golem's channels, sense its own connection to The Earth Pulse, and just relax and daydream about the implications of her core being in two places at once? It could just be a waste of time, but on the off-chance that it would resolve some of her mana issues, or improve her golem's performance... the chance has got to be worth it? It is also a chance to spend time with Moriko, let her feel valued, without just drumming up busy-work or keeping her on stand-by in case The Bear attacks.
>>
No. 903487 ID: 10c408

There is a physical rend in Deem's dungeon heart, which is the origin of the fragment Deem is using for her golem body.

We can't just meditate that away.
>>
No. 903519 ID: 977456

It would be meditating-up better coping mechanisms. Maybe she is subconsciously directing mana through her golem as though it were sphere-shaped and hasn't noticed. Or maybe her golem's mana-channels are optimised for a sphere and she has been treating it like a normal golem, or could modify it to be more responsive in its extremities. Her golem is likely too mobile to form an actual connection to it, but perhaps her golem can sense The Earth Pulse and better discern how to exhilarate it with her personal battles. Maybe she has just been blasting magic in waves between her core and shard, when she could wield a high-efficiency beam instead.

Meditation wouldn't be expected to cure a shattered crystal(though magic, so who knows...), but just dedicating some time to self-awareness could pay significant dividends.
>>
No. 903585 ID: 2e0f31

>>903476
It's been a couple days. People are over the whole dying thing.
>>
No. 903621 ID: c0641d

Moriko. Also, do you need to necessarily devote all of your concentration towards preparing for this, or are there other things you can also do in the days leading up to it? Like improving the entrance so we can't be caught completely with our pants down again?
>>
No. 903625 ID: 575ec0

>>903487
But there is room for Deem to better understand the nature of the damage, which would make it easier to manage.

There's also missing memories that will probably take a more subtle approach to uncover.

There's also the fact that if given enough time, the damage will recover on it's own, and deems fragment will become a second core.
Granted that will probably take a long, long time, but it's a possibility she should be prepared for.

Deem has plenty of stuff to meditate about.
>>
No. 903646 ID: 2202fb

>>903625
i dont think deem would go for that sort of hippie stuff.
>>
No. 903778 ID: 977456

Deem has a significant moisture content, is berthed in a high-altitude region, distributes resources based upon needs, has a mineral form that is completely separate from her mental organ, and is sitting on a supply of fungus with alchemical properties.
In other words: She is a dank, high, commune that is stoned out of her mind, on magic mushrooms.
>>
No. 903878 ID: 1dd514

>>903778
cease
>>
No. 903885 ID: a6405f

>>903878
desist
>>
No. 903901 ID: a255bd

>>903778
oh my god
>>
No. 903999 ID: 602317

>>903778
Why must you be like you are.
>>
No. 904064 ID: 575ec0

>>903778
Brilliant!
>>
No. 904905 ID: 86636a

>>904064
a word describing something dumb
sorry, couldn't resist
>>
No. 905015 ID: 7c90bc

That's actually really great.

Deem would hate it.
>>
No. 911470 ID: 602317

Happy Thanksgiving!
>>
No. 913691 ID: d18b05
File 154452639524.png - (23.15KB , 800x550 , deem_deliberations.png )
913691

>So to summarise, Reisarf's winning strategy was to blow them up, counter the cat's explosion with a bigger explosion, then blow them up again.
Quantity has a quality all of its own.

>I'm sure it will really bother Reisarf that he now has his own magical girl transformation. Or that he can be a girl, or tall, whenever he want to. This is a feature, not a bug.
>...Also, Stargazer clearly has Romantic/Wants-To-Be-Eternally-One-With intentions towards her companion.
Well as long as it doesn't interfere with their work.

>>I'm not impregnating Reisarf with some sort of homunculus clone.
>You'll never have grandchildren if you keep that attitude!
>AH, but you could if you wanted to huh? Filing that one away for later.
I can't have children. And I have better things to do with my denizen's time than acting as incubators for a pale imitation of life.

>Moriko. You two need to spend more time together to help her trust you.
I don't want to take too many people away from their work, so I will just take Moriko with me. She has been a little neglected, so perhaps a little intimacy would be for the best.

>>Maze of the mind
>So you could, for example, answer a question without thinking of the answer?
I know more than I think.

>What? Why can't we talk to your minions?
Because I said so.

>I'm out of the loop how many angel bones have we collected? enough?
Zero.

>You can never have enough DEAD ANGELS angel bones but since we're about to have outside access, we could feasibly collect Sky mana. We'd need to build a series of pools, canals, siphons, and pumps to get it all working, but it's feasible.
I'm not doing that.

>Deem could meditate too. This whole golem-body thing is weird and new. Has she taken the time to just map-out her golem's channels, sense its own connection to The Earth Pulse, and just relax and daydream about the implications of her core being in two places at once? It could just be a waste of time, but on the off-chance that it would resolve some of her mana issues, or improve her golem's performance... the chance has got to be worth it?
I've had some assistance from Merud with that already. I've just enhanced my golem body too so I have more urgent things I should be doing.

>Meditation wouldn't be expected to cure a shattered crystal(though magic, so who knows...), but just dedicating some time to self-awareness could pay significant dividends.
I'm not especially fond of introspection either.

>Deem has a significant moisture content, is berthed in a high-altitude region, distributes resources based upon needs, has a mineral form that is completely separate from her mental organ, and is sitting on a supply of fungus with alchemical properties.
>In other words: She is a dank, high, commune that is stoned out of her mind, on magic mushrooms.
I'm not sure what you're saying but I don't think I like it!

Now then, over the next few days I continue to work away at improving the tunnel with Merud's help to direct the golems. We have a little breathing room for everyone to recover. Thankfully there's no invading imps, bears, adventurers or flesh burrowing worms. I take the chance to straighten out the dungeon's inventory as well.

Got Slime Caul!

A slime queen's shed membrane from it's first slime, it can be quite useful as a magical catalyst.
>>
No. 913692 ID: d18b05
File 154452648855.png - (30.93KB , 800x550 , backdoor_will_have_a_door.png )
913692

Opening the valley entrance feels like releasing a breath that's been held too long. I've preserved a significant chunk of the mined out stone to serve as a door if necessary. Moriko goes first. It's bright outside; I stumble at the doorstep and Moriko steadies me. I squint at the Sun sitting in a hatefully clear sky. "Too much glare." I mutter.

"You've seemed unsteady on your feet of late." Moriko says.

What? She's the one with the poor health and she noticed? I have felt a touch off-balance of late. My dungeon has an ungainly layout right now - I will need to balance out this long, lonely valley tunnel as I add more rooms to improve the circulation.

"Perhaps heels aren't the best footwear for this." she adds.

That's practical. I reluctantly nod and sacrifice a few inches of height.

>The valley will, hopefully, not be full of monsters but it will be full of greenery.
Just outside my new entrance is a roughly bowl shaped depression. Soil and sediment swept down here off the mountain's sides. It's almost dry at the moment. If enough water collects here to have flooded that lower passage it must have taken a very long time. The soil quality isn't great but the plants are putting forth their best effort, sprouting from everywhere they can.

Ahead is a more rough and tumble mix of larger boulders but it should be traversable. That's fortunate, I'd wanted to avoid bringing in a golem if I could.

We skirt the end of the dried up pond. Moriko's looking around constantly.

"Is something the matter?" I say.

She shakes her head. "I've been on edge of late, I often feel as if I am being watched when outside."

"That's not too surprising." I tell her. "The earth-pulse is being stirred by my dungeon now, and monsters can be lured to it. But this?" I wave my arms around me. "A sealed off valley like this would either be shut off from the earth-pulse or full of pent up energy from it. And I can tell you for certain there are no sources of it to be trapped here."

"So it is safe?" Moriko asks.

I chuckle "Oh no, there could be flying monsters, the devil-bear may have found a way in and claimed this as part of its territory or some other monster may have done the same and picked safety in isolation. But it's unlikely."
>>
No. 913693 ID: d18b05
File 154452655422.png - (35.34KB , 800x550 , wouldnt_you_prefer_to_talk_about_the_flowers.png )
913693

"And that's why we're here."I say to Moriko. "To see what this little valley has to offer us. I know my own aspects tend to be desolate if left unattended so I'm sure everyone will appreciate the space and the new scenery."

We're only a little of the way into the valley but I'm feeling optimistic. It's tiny - even with the rough ground we'll have walked its perimeter in well under an hour - but even that's a huge expanse compared to the liveable space in the dungeon itself. The worst threat has been tiny birds and my own desire to stop and look at things.

I turn back to Moriko. "Look at the flowers Moriko. Autumn's coming on but we're still getting treated to some splashes of colour." I natter on about whether to take some back to the dungeon and whether they'd look good in the yet to be unveiled Meditation Room.

>Unless you definitely need somebody else, it may be the perfect time to have a one-on-one with her about her... let's call it "health issues".
Moriko's been quiet on this trip so far but she's looking more relaxed. Maybe I should do it. I said I would wait for her to come to me, that I'd be patient. That eventually she will be ready to talk about trust, old shame, demon blood, repression and the mysterious hit to her vitality, but maybe this is the right time for it. Maybe finding this place is affecting me too, making me hungry for an opportunity to bare our hearts.

>1) Let's talk about our feelings!

>2) Anything but that.
>>
No. 913695 ID: ef705f

>>913693
1.
Build that social link.

If it gets too tense, you can always make a quip about how everything seems to conspire to enhance the knockers of you and your crew.
>>
No. 913697 ID: ad51b8

>1) Let's talk about our feelings!
or at the very least ask how she's doing since she did kinda ask you that just moment ago.
>>
No. 913698 ID: e0ca8d

>>913693
1. But don't break your promise. Don't pressure her into talking, just ask if she's ready and talk about why it's important. There's always another time for this if she's not ready.
>>
No. 913700 ID: a62780

>>913693
just as a side note what kind of flowers are those anyway?
even their stems are a slightly more vibrant shade of green than the surrounding plant life
>>
No. 913702 ID: 5f3f48

>I'm not especially fond of introspection either.
That's usually a sign that you're in need of it.

>>913693
Be patient. I know it's felt like a long time for us, but it hasn't been long for her. Just be there for her, so she can open up if she's ready. Spend time with you and talking about flowers seems good for her already.

Talk, but don't go dragging her issues ("I know you're a tiefling", "So lost your shadow huh") into the open. Not until she decides to.

If she doesn't open up now, you've at least explored the area and made progress towards when she will, eventually.

>Anything but that
I don't really like the implication of avoidance here. We're just not forcing it. Confrontation is not what is needed here.
>>
No. 913707 ID: 507b5b

>>913693
1.5
no pressuring her, don't even bring anything up. just make sure she knows you're available for her.
it might mean you'll have to stop talking for a while and let her gather her thoughts as part of it, though. i hope that's not unacceptable.
>>
No. 913709 ID: 6c5a99

If you're going to talk about feelings, talk about YOUR feelings, not hers. Or like, feelings of hers that aren't to do with any of those dire upsetting things. Sociability is like a muscle, you should build it up doing lighter things first before getting into the heavy lifting! Get her more used to generally having conversations with you first. But don't like... transparently fish for her to open up, either, she'll see through it.

>I can't have children.

Hm. Where DO new dungeons come from? Clearly you can be destroyed, so there must be some way for numbers to be replenished over time to compensate for misfortune, right? If you don't make each other somehow, does someone else make you? Do you just appear out of the earth sometimes?

I mean, from what we've heard, you might be the only active, sentient dungeon like you left in the world, Deem. I get the impression that dungeons consider each other rivals or competitors most of the time, but you don't feel some inkling of obligation to dungeonkind in general?
>>
No. 913710 ID: 2202fb

>>913693
Talk about your curse with her, then bring up her issues. If you open up to her, she is more likely to open up to you. Equivalent exchange.
>>
No. 913713 ID: 0c3c2c

>>913693
1. Building trust and openness is crucial.
>>
No. 913714 ID: 10c408

1, but start off slow and start it off by talking about anything that isn't her.
>>
No. 913722 ID: 080aaf

2) Eat a flower!
>>
No. 913723 ID: 824c43

>>913693
Normally, 2 is obviously the right course of action, but the fact that we experience time differently is skewing our suggestions. I mean, from our perspective, it's been over half a year since the adventurers came into the dungeon. At this rate, it'll be a couple of years for us before Moriko opens up on her own, and we aren't that patient.
>>
No. 913724 ID: b1b4f3

>>913693
Neither. You are approaching this wrong. Instead of trying to talk about her demon nature, just tell her that you know about it, and she can come talk to you about it whenever she wants. She may have not come to you yet because she is still trying to hide it. Let her know she does not have to hide.

The more important subject is the feeling of being watched! Moriko's senses are sharp, there must be something to it. You should try to lure out whatever it is.
>>
No. 913725 ID: 1a6fd4

>>913724
This. An experienced warrior is feeling watched. This is not something you just dismiss.
>>
No. 913730 ID: 2202fb

>>913725
It could be some demonic tracker thing as well, like a parent magically monitoring them or something. This would explain why she alone can feel it.

You should ask her if her fighting style could incorporate a blade, like a halberd type thing.
>>
No. 913739 ID: 7c90bc

Hell no, talk about anything else. Moriko isn't someone you coddle like you would Reisarf or even Hin. She'll figure this out, and unfortunately Any attempts to broach the subject by Deem are going to be heavy handed.

Though, maybe dropping the hint that you are semi-omniscient and can see when someones chi is out of whack might prod her to come forward a little faster.
>>
No. 913740 ID: b1b4f3

Also ask her about the parts of the fight you don't know about yet.
>>
No. 913763 ID: e0ca8d

>>913725
Ooh, what I said earlier, still but definitely ratchet up the alertness.
>>
No. 913773 ID: 2202fb

Btw, where did you get that huge fuckoff spear?
>>
No. 913777 ID: 977456

Search for random loot. Hidden valleys always have random loot.
Backdoor will have a Door.png would be great with the caption "Moriko is watching you"
>>
No. 913779 ID: 094652

Moriko's class is all about courage. It's up to her to choose self-improvement.

Also, this valley might have negative enchantments on it. Organize, categorize, pulverize. It will be your neatly-arranged garden by yesterday.
>>
No. 913780 ID: 2007b6

2. Keep being patient, she hasn't even gotten the chance to use that meditation room yet.

Instead, ask her to provide her own assessment of the valley's geomancy. Hypothetically, if she were to build a new dojo here to replace the one she burned down, how would it be laid out?
>>
No. 913801 ID: 575ec0

1, but don't pry it out of her. Instead, offer a deeper bit of yourself. You are an ancient creature experiencing life in an entirely new way. Where once you were an immortal observer with a tiny sphere of omnipotence, you are now an organizer in the thick of it, trying to deal with your newfound mortality.

There is plenty for you to open up about. Plenty for you to say to someone who isn't a voice in your head.

For others to open up their hearts to you, you must first offer up your own.
>>
No. 914607 ID: 9aeab1

>>913724
I agree with both of these points: let her know that we know, and she can talk about it if she wants to, and also, be more aware for possible monsters etc.
>>
No. 914765 ID: 2a7417

Forget talking about our feelings, let's talk about our earth pulse fueled powers!
>>
No. 915032 ID: b1b4f3

Ah, I just realized something. The last thing Moriko did during the hallucinaton was send her shadow up and out of the cave. What if it's still following those orders? It's in the sky, that's why Moriko only feels its presence outside.

I bet all Moriko needs to do is order it to come back.
>>
No. 915033 ID: e2f4f0

>>915032
our minions aren't Lemmings, they've probably be able to think of simple things like that of their own accord.
>>
No. 915039 ID: b1b4f3

>>915033
Yeah but Moriko might not remember what happened clearly?
>>
No. 915041 ID: 10c408

>>915039
Considering that Deem was completely out of it, it's unlikely Moriko would trust our word right out of the gate until we investigate and provide evidence to support our claim.
>>
No. 915043 ID: 977456

Verily. If Deem wants to avoid outright lying about what she knows, or hiding it, she is probably going to have to let something slip about having voices in her head other than her own. But don't worry Deem! Mental parasites are a perfectly normal part of being a growing demesne. Like flesh-beasts and acne!
>>
No. 915298 ID: 2007b6

>>915043
If you can't safely say how you know, come up with a pretext to test the relevant hypothesis, and then frame your implausibly specific preparations (if necessary) as a lucky guess.

"Hey, Moriko, have you tried loudly challenging this mysterious observer-entity to come down and face you? Worst case, it's your imagination and you're shouting at nothing. Mild embarrassment. If it's a real spy, it might be spooked into fleeing, in which case problem solved, or shamed into revealing itself, in which case you've got far more information, and a better chance to successfully deal with whatever new situation by judicious application of hammer."
>>
No. 915513 ID: 40df11
File 154613031081.png - (30.27KB , 800x578 , what_did_you_just_say_to_me.png )
915513

>>I can't have children.
>Hm. Where DO new dungeons come from? Clearly you can be destroyed, so there must be some way for numbers to be replenished over time to compensate for misfortune, right? If you don't make each other somehow, does someone else make you? Do you just appear out of the earth sometimes?
>I mean, from what we've heard, you might be the only active, sentient dungeon like you left in the world, Deem. I get the impression that dungeons consider each other rivals or competitors most of the time, but you don't feel some inkling of obligation to dungeonkind in general?
...
>>
No. 915514 ID: 40df11
File 154613032794.gif - (72.22KB , 600x450 , deem_wakeup.gif )
915514

Be st-

Shut up. Shut up!

Must you taunt me about my broken, disfigured body? What's gone is gone. There will never be any more. Things will never be right again.

An inkling of obligation? Does fire burn? Are shadows dark? Even if I am all that is left, there are scales to be balanced. My head hurts, the broken edge of my fragmented Hear numbs and sears me.
>>
No. 915515 ID: 40df11
File 154613045462.png - (33.59KB , 800x550 , happy_camper.png )
915515

I have loosed countless arrows out into the world and I will forge countless more. As many as it takes. No matter what it costs. No matter how long it takes! I cannot stop any more than I can cease to be.

It hurts. I grit pebble teeth together and feel a shudder go through this crude clay effigy of a body. I feel an old pressure seep up from all the labyrinthine ways inside. A heady mix of shame and guilt and terror and rage. Impulses to rend and wound It disgusts me even as it titillates me. I can't even bear to examine it. I don't want to go there.

There is no relief here. Nothing to satisfy my still and selfish Heart. The mana within me surges in a hectic pace, ragged edges of my Heart stinging coldly. I can't stand it. I feel sick. It means nothing good for anyone so I must bury it all again. I hate it.
>>
No. 915516 ID: 40df11
File 154613047239.png - (26.45KB , 600x749 , calm_down_deem.png )
915516

I'm tired. I feel hollow. My poor abused Heart seems so fragile sometimes.

>For others to open up their hearts to you, you must first offer up your own.
I'm still so naive, foolish enough to think it's something that can be opened. If I were to speak it might split and all the filth inside would spill out and drown everything around me.

>Talk about your curse with her.
Which curse?

>>I'm not especially fond of introspection either.
>That's usually a sign that you're in need of it.
No it isn't.

>But don't worry Deem! Mental parasites are a perfectly normal part of being a growing demesne. Like flesh-beasts and acne!
Sometimes I wonder why I tolerate you leeches.
>>
No. 915517 ID: 40df11
File 154613049121.png - (33.53KB , 800x600 , distance.png )
915517

"Is everything all right?" Moriko says behind me.

I remain silent. "I think I am still synchronising to this new body." I eventually say. I am still a terrible liar.

I inspect my clay golem to see I haven't unwittingly damaged it.

Behind me Moriko shifts as if she's about to say something, but reconsiders.

We finish our tour in silence.

There's no threats in this stuffy little valley and nothing of much interest either.

>Just as a side note what kind of flowers are those anyway?
Chrysanthemums.

>The more important subject is the feeling of being watched! Moriko's senses are sharp, there must be something to it. You should try to lure out whatever it is.
As I said, it's probably some monsters attracted to the dungeon but afraid of attacking her just yet.
>>
No. 915518 ID: 40df11
File 154613054842.png - (33.16KB , 800x498 , bossing_people_around_always_cheers_deem_up.png )
915518

The valley's now open but improving the place and constructing shelters is going to take some time. On top of that there's a lot of work that could be done to improve the dungeon. I should work one one of these while the valley preparations are done.

Complete Forge: When I put on the finishing touches, I should be able to wrangle a minor magical item out of it with Hin's help. I have a little under a month to repair the Fixity Bangle and return it to town.
Complete Meditation Room: I said I'd make something for this so I will.
Improve Dungeon Entrance: Working with Merud to extend the Golem Totem to create a better thoroughfare and install some sort of puzzle or trap to slow down invaders.
Improve Golem: I can refine a golem into a better version with Merud's help. It means a little more work rebuilding them if they're destroyed in battle.
Brew Potions: Working with Doyle and Alkaline to make more potions. They'd be a useful boost to strength in a pinch. I currently have a handful of healing and mana potions.
Reading Lessons: Merud teaching Alkaline, Moriko and myself to read. A fairly low intensity task.
Plant Mushrooms: Now I have access to the valley I can put down some decaying logs in a shady spot and start my first crop of mushrooms.
Push the Void: Relocate the hole in space from my Heart Chamber to the Thaumatorium. It's currently a bit of a hazard if I want to use larger bosses.
Imp Disposal: I might have to use up these carcasses faster. I think some are starting to turn.
Moriko's Watcher: My hammerai goes outside more than the others. It could be there's something dangerous nearby that's avoiding picking a fight with her.
>>
No. 915521 ID: 080aaf

Push the void. We need our space! And I'm curious what may still be lurking in there.
>>
No. 915522 ID: 094652

>Sometimes I wonder why I tolerate you leeches.
Because you don't pay us and we boost your initiative by like 5.

Deal with the imp corpses first. Can you bury the imp corpses in the valley for nutrients?
>>
No. 915526 ID: 12b116

Imp disposal should probably take priority, we don't want some kind of miasma to stink up the place.
>>
No. 915527 ID: daffb0

Woah. Sorry Deem, didn't mean it that way, it was just... well, curiosity. Who wouldn't want to know more about you, you know? Especially us, since we want to help. I apologize, for what it's worth. There's not much more than watching and talking that we're capable of.

For right now, investigate that Watcher. The imps I hope one of your other followers will notice and do something about, and those are the two most potentially time-crucial tasks. The others will wait a little longer, hopefully.

... I wonder what would happen if you just put a card up outside telling adventurers to wait while you restock and renovate. Like, if someone had entered a dungeon and won, it wouldn't be to their advantage to rush in right after, there'd be nothing for them. So they should have some way of telling, right? Perhaps they have some variant of hobo sign they scratch on things for each other?
>>
No. 915529 ID: 575ec0

>If I were to speak it might split and all the filth inside would spill out and drown everything around me.

You have plenty of mountain. Perhaps you could sneak off later and scream out your inner pains to the ether, while raising as much havoc as that golem can muster. Catharsis, a benefit of having a body.

In the meantime, deal with Moriko's Watcher. While I'm sure she could handle it, in her current state, care needs to be taken to ensure that the experience is one she grows from, not one that causes her to further regress.
>>
No. 915532 ID: 10c408

good lord that's alot of choices.

Imp disposal. We made a ton of corpses and since we can't chill them to prevent decay, we should deal with the imminent stench before it becomes more of a problem.
>>
No. 915536 ID: e6f1ef

>>915518
Reading lessons. Bonding time! Plus, you're on edge, you need to relax. As a secondary priority the watcher.
>>
No. 915551 ID: a98542

>>915518
Finish the Forge.

Hin has been getting a pretty raw deal out of a lot of the choices we've made, and we've been using her as a laborer and fighter when she came out here to be a smith.

We've sorted out Reisarf's girl troubles, we've got a meditation room (and living quarters in the valley) underway for Moriko, we've had a fun day of golem creation and upgrade shenanigans with Merud. 's about time we did something proper-like for Hin.

And, you know, magical items. And not reading. It's a win for everybody.
>>
No. 915568 ID: b1b4f3

>>915566
Considering it was keeping her from thinking about things that are related to some sort of terrible trauma, we may be in a precarious position now. This is no time to celebrate. Deem just implied that if she loses control over her emotions, people around her will suffer.
>>
No. 915570 ID: b1b4f3

>>915517
Please don't lie to your minions, deem. Or your friends. Or your friends that are minions. It will only add to your negative emotions. You can just say you don't want to talk about it. Or that you can't.

Are you aware of the field of psychotherapy?

>>915518
Alright let me run down this list.
Complete Forge:
We have time before the bangle goes to town but I do feel like Hin would like a full forge before then...
Complete Meditation Room:
Like Deem said, we promised to finish this. High priority at this point as it might help with Moriko.
Improve Dungeon Entrance:
Meh.
Improve Golem:
Meh.
Brew Potions:
It'd be nice but still a bit low priority.
Reading Lessons:
That'd be cute, but we've given Alkaline a lot of attention already.
Plant Mushrooms:
Low priority.
Push the Void:
We're not using larger bosses, it's fine to delay this.
Imp Disposal:
Could be high priority. Corpse stink does not go away easily. Though maybe we could weaponize the stench of decay...? Bit low brow though.
Moriko's Watcher:
As much as people want to see Moriko's crisis dealt with sooner rather than later, this might not even give us what we want. It could be anything, and it's not really a threat regardless of what it is.

I'm gonna go with Complete Meditation Room.

Second priority would be Imp Disposal. They might be starting to turn bad but IIRC it takes a bit for the smell to get going so we'll have enough time to move them once it's obviously needed. Can you use some corpses for planting mushrooms on too?
>>
No. 915583 ID: 174574

>>915568
You're right, I deleted it and will rephrase it.

>>915516
There was something keeping you from thinking about some subjects and I think you just managed to break through it with force of will alone. That's incredibly badass.
Originally we thought it was an outside force holding you down, but I'm starting to think it is of your own doing. That's the curse we were referring to.

>It means nothing good for anyone so I must bury it all again
WAIT! Please, Deem, don't hurry to bury it again. You don't have to think about it now, but please leave yourself that option.
It hurts, I know, believe me I know. But burying it will only make it worse as time goes on, and for an undying ageless being that's really bad.
I'm not pushing you to do it now, you should do it at your own pace, but processing and working through it will help. It will turn it into a dull ache, one that you can actually think about. That's important.
You're strong and you can get through this, especially now that you have people that care about you and want you happy. I'm not even talking about your denizens (though they qualify too, especially merud, but I'm aware it'll be hard to talk with them about this,) I'm talking about us. We're here, We can keep secrets like nobody's business and we really really care about you, Deem.
Please, just leave unsealed, that's all I'm asking for.

Also, you tolerate us because, even if some of us are making tactless jokes, we are and always will be on your side and want the best for you.
>>
No. 915584 ID: b5fb67

Complete Meditation Room. We were supposed to help out Moriko, but since that went bell-end, we might as well build this to help her out.
>>
No. 915588 ID: ccf3c2

It's a nice valley. Red and yellow chrysanthemums, eh? ... ah well, let's not think about it too much. Missed opportunities are plentiful in life. Love comes and goes, and comes again.

Nothing to do about it now. Persevere and rebuild. Establish a center to revolve around, a new orbit of your self and your satellite.

Complete Meditation Room.

It was supposed to be your way to help Moriko, after all. Let's not leave her hanging when there are deeper issues to work out.
>>
No. 915597 ID: 5b93d3

Complete Meditation Room, much as I'd like to see Deem learn to read if only to be able to read the inevitable graffiti that has been scrawled on her walls by adventurers (or denizens).
>>
No. 915620 ID: ae9bd9

>>915514
Hey Deem... I think you may have just broken through something. It almost seems like, right when the emotions and pain erupted, you smashed through that imaginary thing that you wont acknowledge. It seems like there is a chance that some things have changed. I think it is imperative that you try to repair your heart once again, just like you did in the beginning.
>>
No. 915621 ID: ae9bd9

Oh, and put up an undergoing renovations sign out front. Hell, you might even be able to hire workers.
>>
No. 915710 ID: 20afab

>>915597
you know she can read this, right?
>>
No. 915714 ID: 575ec0

>Sometimes I wonder why I tolerate you leeches.

First, the Psychic worm calls us parasites and now your calling us leeches?

We are not popular lately...
>>
No. 915723 ID: 2007b6

Sounds like you've still got slack on the forge's associated time limit. Tell Reisarf and Merud to work spoilage-delay magic on imp corpses (start with basic freezing, or if that doesn't work get creative) and prioritize the meditation room.
>>
No. 915752 ID: 7c90bc

You know what Deem, I think this is the point at what you really need is someone else to guide you into an unknown, unsteady and unsure future. You aren't what was before. You don't know what's going to happen because this is new to you, much like your demense is new to your denizens. You are crippled, and it's obviously still frightening and traumatic and no, we aren't going to help you with that, at all.

But Moriko might be exactly the person that can manage that for you. She's in a unique position to understand how you feel, and even though she's unlikely to have any special insight on what the future holds for you, it'll at least be cathartic to talk to her about it.
>>
No. 915863 ID: 824c43

>>915514
We aren't taunting you. We just don't know (or have forgotten) and you never tell us anything.
So tell us. If not us, then whom?
>>
No. 916277 ID: 40df11
File 154669411757.png - (15.08KB , 800x500 , talk_to_the_golem.png )
916277

>It hurts, I know, believe me Iz know. But burying it will only make it worse as time goes on, and for an undying ageless being that's really bad.
If price is too high and is only ever going to mount higher, then that burden can be pushed to the future too.

>Hey Deem... I think you may have just broken through something. It almost seems like, right when the emotions and pain erupted, you smashed through that imaginary thing that you won't acknowledge.
You'd think I'd remember something like that.

>You know what Deem, I think this is the point at what you really need is someone else to guide you into an unknown, unsteady and unsure future. You aren't what was before. You don't know what's going to happen because this is new to you, much like your demesne is new to your denizens. You are crippled, and it's obviously still frightening and traumatic and no, we aren't going to help you with that, at all.
>But Moriko might be exactly the person that can manage that for you. She's in a unique position to understand how you feel, and even though she's unlikely to have any special insight on what the future holds for you, it'll at least be cathartic to talk to her about it.
No she isn't.

>We just don't know (or have forgotten) and you never tell us anything. So tell us. If not us, then whom?
No-one.

>Please don't lie to your minions, Deem. Or your friends. Or your friends that are minions. It will only add to your negative emotions. You can just say you don't want to talk about it. Or that you can't.
I don't want to talk about it.
>>
No. 916278 ID: 40df11
File 154669415033.png - (43.77KB , 800x600 , outside_working.png )
916278

>Can you bury the imp corpses in the valley for nutrients?
I want to use them for the mushrooms or be sure they're well processed. Other plants might go a little strange if I'm not careful.

>Tell Reisarf and Merud to work spoilage-delay magic on imp corpses (start with basic freezing, or if that doesn't work get creative)
They're already in a container with ice I've been having Reisarf replenish.

The work to prepare the valley is slow but progressing steadily. I have my denizens start with merely widening and stabilising a path from my dungeon's exit. The valley was small and rocky so there's little in the way of trees for building material, but simple shelters shouldn't require too much scrounging.
>>
No. 916279 ID: 40df11
File 154669432873.png - (17.73KB , 800x500 , so much_meditation.png )
916279

>Complete Meditation Room.
>It was supposed to be your way to help Moriko, after all. Let's not leave her hanging when there are deeper issues to work out.
I need to put some work into stabilising her condition. And my two wizards and blacksmith would benefit too.

My Delve already had the room substantially complete. The main work was finalising some of the waterworks and properly insinuating mana channels from my Heart Chamber to this room. It's still stark and bare-bones, but the water sounds are soothing and I'm sure they'll appreciate the opportunity to relax here.

I don't benefit from this place's assistance to recuperation so I give them permission to decorate the place as they wish and leave everyone to their devices.

>You have plenty of mountain. Perhaps you could sneak off later and scream out your inner pains to the ether, while raising as much havoc as that golem can muster. Catharsis, a benefit of having a body.
I suppose my dungeon's surroundings could do with a clean-up. I should give a little thought to stabilisation of other things too. Finishing the Meditation Room was quite fast, it only took two days, so now I need to think about what to focus on next:

Complete Forge: When it's complete, Hin will be able to make my first magical item. I have about three weeks to repair the Fixity Bangle and return it to town.
Improve Dungeon Entrance: Working with Merud to extend the Golem Totem to create a better thoroughfare and install some sort of puzzle or trap to slow down invaders.
Improve Golem: I can refine a golem into a better version with Merud's help. It means a little more work rebuilding them if they're destroyed in battle.
Brew Potions: Working with Doyle and Alkaline to make more potions. They'd be a useful boost to strength in a pinch. I currently have a handful of healing and mana potions.
Reading Lessons: Merud teaching Alkaline, Moriko and myself to read. A fairly low intensity task.
Plant Mushrooms: Now I have access to the valley I can put down some decaying logs in a shady spot and start my first crop of mushrooms.
Push the Void: Relocate the hole in space from my Heart Chamber to the Thaumatorium. It's currently a bit of a hazard if I want to use larger bosses.
Imp Disposal: I might have to use up these carcasses faster. I think some are starting to turn.
Moriko's Watcher: My hammerai goes outside more than the others. It could be there's something dangerous nearby that's avoiding picking a fight with her.
NEW - Cull Monsters: The earth-pulse has been stirring. I should pre-emptively reduce the number of monsters in the area before they attack.
NEW - Stabilise Slime: That strange orange slime won't live for very long. I can't do much for it, but perhaps I should make the attempt.
>>
No. 916280 ID: 080aaf

Alkaline, please make sure your children don't eat each other.
Stabilise slime. This is an opportunity that doesn't come around twice! I'm sure we'll figure out a use for a succulent sentient eventually.
>>
No. 916282 ID: a98542

>>916279
Complete Forge Complete Forge Complete Forge

We dragged Hin out here to be a blacksmith, and it's been weeks and we've only used her for basic labour and fighting (and she quite explicitly did not want to fight).

Plus the throat flesh-parasite and the weird potions and the slime shenanigans and the nightmarish ghost nonsense.

She's had more than a bit of a rough time; even if she's not bein' moody about it, it's about time we threw her a bone.
>>
No. 916283 ID: 2007b6

Attempt to stabilize the slime. Success would be good for morale, and even failure would probably be a non-catastrophic learning experience.

Second priorities, forge setup and the entrance.

Specifically voting against proactive monster-culling. Build defenses, let them come to you, or better yet soften up incoming heroes.
>>
No. 916285 ID: 10c408

Stabilize the slime. We should at least make the effort, if for nothing else than respecting the Secret Pact for Adults.
>>
No. 916288 ID: 20afab

>>916277
>If price is too high and is only ever going to mount higher, then that burden can be pushed to the future too.
I do believe the price can be lowered by using others who are willing to shoulder some of the weight, and can be made manageable by paying it in parts - not even trying to pay it all at once. That burst you had can be seen as the first payment.
Do be warned, eventually it will bleed into your daily life, bury it as you might. You are very good at burying things so it's probably a good while away, but infinity is a very long time indeed.

>You'd think I'd remember something like that.
FUCK

>>916279
We should probably first deal with the ones with a time limit (by order of importance):
1. Moriko's Watcher + Cull Monsters seem like the next likely crisis. They can probably be combined.
2. Stabilize Slime should be taken care of sooner rather than later. While it's true that it'll probably die anyway and that Alkaline will need to see death eventually, she also needs to see you try. This is about letting her know you care.
3. Imp Disposal because we don't want them rotting, obviously. You've stated wanting to combine it with Plant Mushrooms. If it can't be done quickly, leave it for later.
4. Improve Dungeon Entrance keeps being a problem and we have no way of telling when the next batch of adventurers will show up.
5. Push the Void - we are likely to need our bosses and, again, we have no way of telling when the next batch of adventurers will show up.
5. Complete Forge has a 3 week time limit, but is otherwise not of the greatest importance.

Huh, the number of fires that need putting out is getting shorter. That's nice.
>>
No. 916293 ID: bddb0f

>>916282

Fair points. Hin's been pretty patient, so we SHOULD reward the good grace we've had from our blacksmith. Stabilizing the slime and getting rid of the imp corpses sound like good secondary objectives that are time-limited. Tertiary... a good cull sounds wise.

What are the explicit benefits to culling monsters? Your minions can leave to do free-time things without risking their lives? Traders can get here easier? Food and reagents for potion-mixing? Possible treasures, if gold-loving monsters like Charcoal show up?
>>
No. 916294 ID: 080aaf

>>916293
All three things are time limited, really, but of them I think the slime's is the most limited. The imps will keep being dead, and the bangle can wait another week if it has to (though not much longer).
>>
No. 916295 ID: daffb0

Deem, I know you don't need to eat or sleep, so you're predisposed to focus on one task until it's done before moving onto the next, and that seems to be what you've been doing more often than not? But that's not how your minions work and, I can imagine, probably looks odd to them. It is logical and most efficient to focus, but your followers' morale might be higher if they see you paying attention to a variety of things rather than, as it would seem to them, mostly ignoring all but one issue at any given time.

The reading lessons, for example, will get diminishing returns for Alkaline and Moriko if pursued for more than an hour or two per day, and even then there should be breaks every half-hour. That's how study works for most mortals. Similarly, Hin would probably feel her needs and goals are being attended to more if she saw you working on the forge for a few hours every day in between other tasks, rather than you powering through it all before or after other things.

That said, stabilizing the slime is the thing that requires the most immediate attention. Completing the forge would be next, but mostly for Hin's sake. Imp Disposal can be combined with mushroom planting and/or potion making, so that would be most time efficient.

Also, how about you feed just a few imp carcasses to some plants, to see what happens? Some weird mutated plants placed around the place for decoration could really help sell your dungeon's themes to adventurers, I think. Maybe a couple outside the entrance?
>>
No. 916300 ID: 0c3c2c

>>916279
Complete the Forge.
>>
No. 916305 ID: b1b4f3

>>916277
>then that burden can be pushed to the future too.
What about when the burden becomes too heavy to push?

I'm split between the dungeon entrance and the forge, tbh. If the imp corpses go bad, they can be used for mushroom fertilizer, and while the monsters/watcher could be troublesome, what's the worst thing that could happen? It's not like they'd steal our gold, right?
>>
No. 916330 ID: b5fb67

Complete!
That!
Forge!
>>
No. 916450 ID: 40df11
File 154677461787.png - (23.23KB , 799x600 , trash_into_treasure.png )
916450

>What about when the burden becomes too heavy to push?
Annihilation.

>Attempt to stabilise the slime. Success would be good for morale, and even failure would probably be a non-catastrophic learning experience.
If I were to try anything more than minimally invasive interventions it's very likely to be fatal. That slime has a very tenuous existence.

>Alkaline, please make sure your children don't eat each other.
Look, it's fine. It's only nibbling a little and is otherwise quite protective.

>What are the explicit benefits to culling monsters?
A little gold and possible resources from harvesting them and also we don't get attacked every time we step outside.

>We dragged Hin out here to be a blacksmith, and it's been weeks and we've only used her for basic labour and fighting (and she quite explicitly did not want to fight).
>Plus the throat flesh-parasite and the weird potions and the slime shenanigans and the nightmarish ghost nonsense.
>She's had more than a bit of a rough time; even if she's not bein' moody about it, it's about time we threw her a bone.
Right, the forge it is. Hin's been very helpful establishing the dungeon but outside of maintaining tools and little bits and pieces for the dungeon, she hasn't really had a chance to shine.

A tool or weapon would be a good proof of the new forge - rings, bracelets and other accessories are fiddly. I could consider armour as well but I don't have especially much material for that. In any case I want something that'll be useful for my fledgling dungeon. I think given the circumstances something my denizens will be making a lot of use of would be a better choice than something intended to be won by invaders.

I also need to pick a suitable material to help set the function of the item. Most of the material we have accumulated isn't particularly strong magically, but Hin and I should be able to bridge the gap for the first time for the first time at least.

The materials I'm confident about using are the following:

Alien Jelly: Stargazer's severed tail. A shapechanging material that is excellent for storage and conversion of mana. I also have that hank of hair I cut off Reisarf while he was using Secondary Storage, which would have similar properties. I'd need more of it though.
Imp Remains: It's low grade material but I have a lot. Reasonably versatile, especially for destructive purposes but anything I made with it would be a little cursed.
Alkaline's Garnet: The pretty rock Alkaline found. Crystals are good for storing and redirecting energy and can be biased to a specific type of magic in the crafting process.
Slime Caul: Alkaline's shed crown membrane from her first budding. Good for anything slimey or involving new life. Maybe too good to expend on the first run, but it won't keep its potency forever.
Hin Sheddings: Hin's cut off horn and the left over goo from her brief stint as a slime. Again low grade but her relationship to the material will let her get more out of it. Her giant blood means links for strength and craftsmanship while the goo adds something of formlessness.
Mana Saturated Clay: Clay is fairly inert but the little plug on my damaged Heart has been absolutely saturated with raw mana over the past few weeks. It'd be suitable for anything relating to the earth or my dungeon.
Raw Mana: Similar to brewing potions with inadequate ingredients, this would be relying on raw mana to amplify qualities of other materials used in the crafting. The headache is, of course, getting reliable output.

Once I have a rough idea of what would be useful to make, I can discuss the particulars with Hin.
>>
No. 916453 ID: 9caba2

>>916450

First off, Deem, don't make a habit out of collecting hair from afflicted people, while it may be a renewable resource, it might come off a slightly creepy to most humanoids.

For the actual project at hand, I'd be inclined to suggest making some sort of raw mana absorbing/redirecting bracer or bracelet (even if you said they were finicky) for Hin, or general sharing. To reduce the risk of long term raw mana poisoning, or mitigate incidents when working with volatile components.

For materials I'd propose the Alien Jelly as a base and Alkaline's Garnet as a component.
>>
No. 916455 ID: 080aaf

Hin Sheddings Hin Sheddings Hin Sheddings

When you put it like that, it has more meaning behind it. The connection Hin shares with the items, its own giantblood heritage, and the significance of the first item crafted should boost its quality beyond what horns and goo should have any right to create.
>>
No. 916459 ID: edfbdc

>>916450
>Annihilation.

That'll be really soon, relative to being an ancient dungeon, at this rate. Might as well start planning that out now. Clearly, there's no way to avoid it.

>>916453
I was thinking of something like this, but because surprisingly powerful magic users keep showing up.
>>
No. 916461 ID: 080aaf

>>916455
As for what to make with them, how about a maul that gets bigger when you swing it? The opposite of Hin's journeyman piece. It could be utilized by our brute golems, or perhaps even Moriko.
>>
No. 916464 ID: a98542

>>916450
Clearly, we should use the Hin bits to make a Handy Hin-Horn Hammer to get a headstart on higher-tier smithing.

After all, what is smithing, if not the tactical application of heat-induced formlessness (and precise blunt force) to reshape metal?

And if we invest in smithing tools now, we'll be able to make better items out of the other materials later.
>>
No. 916482 ID: 4631a1

>>916464
Agreed on the Hin Sheddings. Although, we should do something with the Slime Caul soon. Also, those Imp Corpses need to be dealt with at some point in the near future (maybe as bombs that debuff the target rather than afflict the weilder). Maybe in that order?
>>
No. 916489 ID: 0c3c2c

>>916450
Mix Alien Jelly, Hin Sheddings and the Slime Caul to create Alien Slime.

Hin's strong connection to the resulting betentacled nightmare beast will be helpful when it inevitably grows beyond its creators and begins conquering the surface world.
>>
No. 916496 ID: 2007b6

Use Hin Sheddings to make a ring or crown or belt buckle or something, designed to amplify the strength-building effects of exercise and speed up recovery from boss-level reinforcement magic side effects. Might help boost Worst Slime's health stat in a lasting way, definitely useful for overall "fitness dungeon" strategy.
>>
No. 916497 ID: 055cbc

>>916464
That's not bad
>>
No. 916504 ID: b1b4f3

>>916450
>Annihilation
Of what? You can't just destroy emotional baggage by force of will. Do you mean you would destroy yourself if it becomes too great to bear?

We certainly have a lot of slime-related items... anyway, use the Hin Sheddings. Strength and formlessness...
I wonder if we could make a new hammer for Moriko, one that can extend its shaft on command? It would give her better reach.
>>
No. 916516 ID: 2202fb

Just humor us and try sticking the heart shard back in your heart.
>>
No. 916517 ID: 2202fb

>>916516
Or are you too scared?
>>
No. 916520 ID: 824c43

>>916450
>Annihilation.
That sounds like a healthy coping mechanism.

>materials
Don't use the garnet yet, save it for a special occasion.

>>916464
I like this idea.
>>
No. 916524 ID: 10c408

I'm going to exercise some caution and vote for the mana saturated clay. Working with Hin's sheddings is a little too obvious and might be taken the wrong way. The clay wouldn't have the same potential conversation minefield attached to it since it came from us and not our blacksmith.
>>
No. 916539 ID: 575ec0

Combine the Clay, Garnet, and Hin's Shedding into a Girdle or Bracer of Rising Might.

The clay would draw the earth pulse into the item, which would be distributed by the garnet throughout the item, of which would have Hin's horn distributed throughout.

The idea would be to put make an item that focused strengthening and reinforcement magic into the user that draws power from the earth pulse. As fighting stirs the earth pulse, the wearer would become stronger and stronger as the fight went on.

Perhaps if we used the Alien Jelly we could throw some healing or rejuvenation magic into the mix to make a sort of unbreakable warrior effect, but I can't help but feel we're missing a component for that.
>>
No. 916549 ID: 977456

It'd be somewhat poetic to include the garnet in something to help Failslime. Is there anything that might help Failslime that would be generally useful? I am not well versed in slime biology. A containment field that acts as armour and environmental protection might be good, but Failslime might rely upon it and stop maintaining its own surface tension. A regeneration effect might drown out Failslime's own mana signature. Something to bolster the mana channels could strengthen its identity and augments a denizen's mana bandwidth, or it might just make Failslime explode from an overload. All of these would be generally useful and might buy time for fixing Failslime, or could go terribly wrong...
>>
No. 916595 ID: 13110b

>>916450
I was thinking we could make some kind of cooking and/or Alchemy tool, so we could make tasty and magically empowered food, which would be good for the minions, and Deem now that she can eat.
Something like a Skillet, or Kettle maybe, or an Oven if we have enough material, so we dont overlap with Doyle. And bonus points if we can use it to give effects that speed up recovery or enhance the health of people eating the food, so we have a nice ad pleasant solution the next time one of our minions becomes ill or injured. As far as non-deadly recovery methods, were currently lacking.

As for Materials, I'd nominate Hin Sheddings, the Mana Saturated Clay, some Raw Mana, and maybe Alkaline's Garnet for this.

And for future consideration, Anyone else like the idea of using some Imp Remains and the Slime Caul to make a Scepter for Alkaline? We did mean to upgrade her club, and even if it came out cursed, that would actually be GOOD for Alkaline...
>>
No. 916599 ID: 13110b

>>916595
Alternate Suggestion: We use the Hin Sheddings, Mana Saturated Clay, and Alien Jelly to create a Golem Heart, that we could install in a golem to give a big buff to one golem at a time. You could use Deem's heart as inspiration!
>>
No. 916616 ID: 10c408

Guys, we haven't yet reached the point where we can start designing the magic item. We're still choosing the base material to work with. Design options are next after the current vote.
>>
No. 916617 ID: 40df11
File 154686161920.png - (14.40KB , 600x600 , forge_facts.png )
916617

>>916616
Hello yes hello. No, the idea is that items and a rough concept get picked now, then the next update will be options for implementing it.
>>
No. 916621 ID: 10c408

Oh. Well, my apologies then. I misunderstood Deem's line.

I'm gonna change my vote to combing the raw mana clay with Hin's sheddings Perhaps we can make a shovel/pickaxe that applies the formlessness aspect onto solid surfaces (such as stone) when touched by the head of the tool.
>>
No. 916637 ID: 0c3c2c

>>916617
Chakarchelou is truly wise.
>>
No. 916639 ID: 1a6fd4

>>916464
You're proposing that Hin smite a smiting tool made out of Hin. I love it.
>>
No. 916645 ID: 575ec0

Well then, Clay, Garnet, Shedding, alien Jelly.

The object would be combat oriented and be given to one of our guardians.
>>
No. 916694 ID: 2202fb

Can we make a metal golem? (shape while the steel is hot)
>>
No. 916695 ID: 2202fb

We could also try to make a matchlock firearm.
>>
No. 916765 ID: 8848bd

I agree with making some kind of hammer, something that can be used as weapon but also helps Hin with future smithing. I think we should use the garnet, Hin's sheddings and the clay.
>>
No. 916891 ID: 13110b

>>916765
If were going to make a tool, could we at least try to make some kind of multi-tool, Or something? I dunno, I just dont want to steal Moriko's Hammer gimmick.
What other tools are good for Smithing? Tongs? Chisel? Some kind of pick?
If I Had my way , i'd add in the Alien Jelly and try for some kind of Shape shifting tool, but I dont think i'll get much support there.
>>
No. 916935 ID: 977456

I want something that hardens mana channels. It might help with obscure magical conditions and unstable monsters, and otherwise should be useful for increasing the amount of mana that a channel can withstand, allowing denizens to trade away endurance to gain intensity.
If it worked the way I hope it would, then Reisarf could get 30% larger explosions for double mana consumption, Hin could get +1 crafter-level but would half her work shifts, Chakarchelou might get a full dragon-flame by burning out his breath-attack for the rest of the day...
>>
No. 916970 ID: 2202fb

>>916891
Lol, a tool? We are talking about a Warhammer!

I personally think we should instead make a bastard sword with a hammer head (or at least a weight) on the end It would allow for a similar fighting style as a hammer (with the momentum), but it would also enable cleaving.
>>
No. 917009 ID: 40df11
File 154711605244.png - (27.98KB , 800x600 , lets_talk_about_our_forging.png )
917009

>First off, Deem, don't make a habit out of collecting hair from afflicted people, while it may be a renewable resource, it might come off a slightly creepy to most humanoids.
That's why I asked first.

>Just humour us and try sticking the heart shard back in your heart.
>Or are you too scared?
Do you think I'm a small child?

>I was thinking we could make some kind of cooking and/or Alchemy tool, so we could make tasty and magically empowered food, which would be good for the minions, and Deem now that she can eat.
None of the current materials are especially good for that unfortunately. Maybe if we had the mushrooms ready, or converted some of Alkaline's slime milk or an appropriate potion into a full catalyst next time I have the mana for such a spell...

>If we invest in smithing tools now, we'll be able to make better items out of the other materials later.
That's true, I think I would prefer something that contributes towards making Hin's job easier. Merud sits in for the initial discussions then Hin shoos him out of her forge for interrupting with too many questions. Alkaline loiters for a while but gets bored by all this sitting and wanders out.

>Use the Hin bits to make a Handy Hin-Horn Hammer to get a headstart on higher-tier smithing.
>After all, what is smithing, if not the tactical application of heat-induced formlessness (and precise blunt force) to reshape metal?
"I think we can use the goo." I tell Hin.

"The orange stuff?" my blacksmith says. " Or..."

"Your goo." I say "It's something that was once yours and it should still be able to be biased towards your talents. Even the dissolution works for us, we can use it for a hammer that'll help soften and shape what you're working on."

Hin nods thoughtfully. "Or help break down obstructions we want removed orrrr obstructionist monsters."

"It'd be a bit draining but faster tunnelling would certainly help." I tell her.

"I'll write it down." Hin jots some incomprehensible symbols on a piece of paper.

>As for what to make with them, how about a maul that gets bigger when you swing it? The opposite of Hin's journeyman piece. It could be utilized by our brute golems, or perhaps even Moriko.
"I think I'd prefer a tool but based on how well our ingredients are holding up, we might go for something simpler instead. Maybe a weapon that gets bigger." I from. "No, that's apprentice stuff."

"We could try making the things it hits bigger instead?"

"Hmm?" I don't quite see what she's getting at.

Hin sketches some figments in the air. "Stargazer has that funky mana to mass conversion and we've got a piece of her tail to work with. My metal stockpile's small so that'd help us stretch the material."

>For the actual project at hand, I'd be inclined to suggest making some sort of raw mana absorbing/redirecting bracer or bracelet (even if you said they were finicky) for Hin, or general sharing. To reduce the risk of long term raw mana poisoning, or mitigate incidents when working with volatile components.
That's a little too limited in utility but it gives me an idea.

"Another hammer idea to stretch supplies is we could use raw mana to forge the head. Having such an active surface would help activate materials. We'd have more defects though. Do it right and the head should also act as a magnet for any backlash or magic targeted at the person holding it."

"Could you explain that a little more?"

"Sometimes you have to play tennis with fireballs, Hin." I say. I start doodling on a piece of paper "A tool's one of your primary contact points with the world around you, so with a little work you can make that interface point a snare for most types of non-contact magic."

>Use Hin Sheddings to make a ring or crown or belt buckle or something, designed to amplify the strength-building effects of exercise and speed up recovery from boss-level reinforcement magic side effects. Might help boost Worst Slime's health stat in a lasting way, definitely useful for overall "fitness dungeon" strategy.
>I want something that hardens mana channels. It might help with obscure magical conditions and unstable monsters, and otherwise should be useful for increasing the amount of mana that a channel can withstand, allowing denizens to trade away endurance to gain intensity.
"Last major thing I could think of with the materials we have is something to a little more general purpose. Something to fortify and accelerate mana channels. Sometimes a bit more force is what we need. Maybe a girdle or harness? We can make it bigger to avoid too much precision work."

Hin nods. "Yeah pretty much anyone could use that." She jots it down. "You seem to have cheered up a bit, Deem." she adds.

"What do you mean?"

"You've been a bit distant the past few days. We thought you'd had a fight with Moriko or something."

"Just... distracted." I say to her.

We need to finalise a design.

Handy Hin Hammer: (Hin Sheddings) A hammer that can be used to precisely soften what it's hitting, making it easier to work.
Magnifying Hammer: (Hin Sheddings + Alien Jelly) A hammer that amplifies things it hits. By supercharging it during crafting, it can make things with less material than would otherwise be required.
Mana Spike Mallet: (Hin Sheddings + Raw Mana) A hammer with an extremely magically reactive head to better draw out the qualities of materials its working on. Crafted items are a little more powerful but also more likely to have defects. Provides some protection to the user against magic.
Impulse Trinket: (Hin Sheddings + Mana Saturated Clay) An accessory that reinforces the user's mana channels and improves circulation, letting them exert themselves much harder at the cost of rapidly burning through their energy.
>>
No. 917011 ID: 158da5

Mana Spike Mallet

Because pesky mages.
>>
No. 917012 ID: 17c2ee

>Do you think I'm a small child?
Yes, basically you are in your current state.

Magnifying Hammer because I feel like we can think of the most creative uses for it out of any option.
>>
No. 917013 ID: 10c408

Magnifying hammer. Hin already admitted that her stockpile of metal is on the small side, so anything that'll effective cut down on resource costs will pay for itself.
>>
No. 917014 ID: 8848bd

Mana Spike Mallet because I always enjoy a good game of fireball tennis.
>>
No. 917015 ID: 1774cd

>>917009
HANDY HIN HAMMER! NO LONGER A METALSMITH, BUT AN ALLSMITH!
>>
No. 917016 ID: a98542

>>917009
Get us that Handy Hin Hammer.

We may be short on metal at this exact moment, and the magnifying hammer may be more efficient with materials, but the handy hammer is more efficient with time. And, given that Deem is -really good- at digging for materials, we're far more likely to be constrained by time than materials in the long run.

It should also let Hin work with all sorts of otherwise unworkable materials? Stuff like bone or wood or scales that don't soften when heated in the same that metal does.

It's also probably the best choice for avoiding or correcting mistakes. It'd be nice to think that they'll never happen, but uh. This is Deem's dungeon. Everything goes wrong. It's fine.

Also, you can hit people with it to turn their bones into jelly. How can you not love it?
>>
No. 917021 ID: 0c3c2c

>>917009
Magnifying Hammer
>>
No. 917024 ID: 92e46f

>>917015
Handy Hin Hammer is probably the best of them all in my opinion. Useful in crafting and many other contexts, even combat!
>>
No. 917025 ID: 080aaf

Magnifying Hammer. Or more lyrically, Hin's Hefty Hugeifying Hammer. This will always come in handy for using rarer crafting materials in bigger projects. Plus, it essentially creates more of the stuff out of mana. Got a one-of-a-kind alloy from a meteor that fell from the sky? Hugeify the metal, use what you need, and use it again! You can use this on gold to invest mana back into mana generation.
>>
No. 917026 ID: 575ec0

Unless we plan on crafting iron golems, the magnifying hammer really only saves us a bit of money.

Mana Spike will boost power but reduce overall quality. It's only real benefit over Handy Hin is that it'll be more useful in a fight. Hin shouldn't be fighting anyway though.

Handy Hin will allow us to craft smaller or more complex things more easily, and give us a higher standard of quality.
We could also use it to make fine, saleable magic items. We wouldn't have to worry so much about limited or sub-par resources in the first place because we could trade for what's missing.
Also, it is cheap to make, using only one exotic material.

Handy Hin Hammer all day, please.
>>
No. 917033 ID: 17c2ee

>>917026
The magnifying hammer "amplifies things it hits". Don't tell me you can't think of any other use for it besides the stated purpose.
>>
No. 917041 ID: 824c43

The Impulse Trinket is a power up for pretty much everyone, but it seems nobody's voting for it... oh well.
>>
No. 917043 ID: 1a6fd4

>>917009
I'm sold on the Handy Hin Hammer. Smithing is usually limited to metals because you need them to be softened by the amount of heat a forge can produce and can't use flammable materials, but if you can soften anything with this hammer... basically, we can have cold forging. Can somebody say "exotic material weapons"?
>>
No. 917060 ID: 575ec0

>>917033
Bass?
>>
No. 917092 ID: 977456

Impulse Trinket because Reisarf needs bigger explosions.
I worry the vote might be unfair. People who want a hammer of some sort will be split up into three lesser camps. Everyone else has only the one massive and unstoppable bandwagon into which to leap. So, uhh, hamurais unite?
>>
No. 917094 ID: b1b4f3

Handy Hin Hammer. It's also good offensively, for cracking armor!
>>
No. 917095 ID: 9caba2

>>917009
As much as I'd like the Magnifying Hammer for the sake of making inappropriate asset-amplifying suggestions, I feel that the simpler Handy Hin Hammer would be a better starting point.
>>
No. 917151 ID: 2202fb

>>917060
Doubt it would work as a good bait, and most fish dont sit still enough to get hit with a hammer.
>>
No. 917159 ID: 13110b

>>917009
Handy Hin Hammer please. Because of its alternate utility use and, as another voice pointed out, it drastically increases the types of material Hin could smith with. We could smith raw stone or even gems or other brittle materials, which could have interesting applications.


Also Deem, if you have to get rid of a lot of the Imp corpses soon, try stripping them of the bones, fangs and claws if you can first. those parts shouldnt degrade, or at least not as fast if you get them cleaned up, and should still be useful.
>>
No. 917162 ID: 094652

Magnifying Hammer trades mana for efficiency and quality, and we have a lot of mana. It can also be used to empower throwables mid-combat!
>>
No. 917211 ID: 14fd8d

>>917092
You'd think that, but the HHH seems to be winning by a landslide. We're the only ones who voted for the Trinket.
>>
No. 917289 ID: c0641d

This may be a tip from carpentry, not smithing, but a good rule of thumb is to make your early projects revolve around making stuff to aid you in making more projects. Handy Hin Hammer. Ooh, and can we include a pick on the other side to help with smaller details and etchings?
>>
No. 917574 ID: 40df11
File 154737525098.png - (61.13KB , 800x600 , hammer_time.png )
917574

>>Do you think I'm a small child?
>Yes, basically you are in your current state.
My Heart might be weakened but I am very mature and adult!!

>Magnifying Hammer. Or more lyrically, Hin's Hefty Hugeifying Hammer. This will always come in handy for using rarer crafting materials in bigger projects. Plus, it essentially creates more of the stuff out of mana. Got a one-of-a-kind alloy from a meteor that fell from the sky? Hugeify the metal, use what you need, and use it again!
It's tempting but after some thought I'm yet to find any magical metals and short enough on common ones that even magnified I have limited supplies for major projects.

>HANDY HIN HAMMER! NO LONGER A METALSMITH, BUT AN ALLSMITH!
>It should also let Hin work with all sorts of otherwise unworkable materials? Stuff like bone or wood or scales that don't soften when heated in the same that metal does.
Hmm, I hadn't fully considered the possibilities there. It won't be perfect but there are definitely some uses.

>It's also probably the best choice for avoiding or correcting mistakes. It'd be nice to think that they'll never happen, but uh. This is Deem's dungeon. Everything goes wrong. It's fine.
Well excuse me for having a hole in my Heart.

>Handy Hin Hammer is probably the best of them all in my opinion. Useful in crafting and many other contexts, even combat!
Hin being able to use it to defend herself or loan it to Moriko is an added bonus.

My presence isn't really required for the actual forging - or rather I am already there - but I have my golem body loiter anyway ready to hand Hin tools and I suppose offer moral support. The big difference in how a dungeon crafts such magic items is that I can stockpile and expend the magic to force the changes all at once. It's mana efficient compared to having to pour mana into a leaky item over days or even weeks but leaves little leeway for corrections.

I prepare Hin for the surge of mana as the connections are finally made and then she sets to work. The pieces are all laid out: horn trimmed, handle cut to size and the metal heated and alloyed with the formless good and pulverised pieces of horn, hammered and folded over and over on itself until it is mixed appropriately.

Hin pulls it off without a hitch.

Now Hin has a new tool, perhaps it'd be good to follow it up with a minor crafting project:

Golem Bell: Hand-held tools that link to my Golem Totem to let non-golemeters issue orders to the dungeon's golems.
Heating Stone: A large rock that has been modified to let it absorb heat and release it on command. Useful for cooking and heating water for baths.
Resurrection Stabiliser: Installing some additions to the Resurrection Matrix's sarcophagus to absorb excess energy.
Mana Tie: A simple device to ease transfer of mana between two individuals. It can also be used to help share spells between the tied pair.

Alternatively, there is some materials research that has been sitting on the back burner for quite a while:

Treated Slime: Experimenting with various processes to make textiles, rubber and water or chemical resistant treatments using Alkaline's slime. I previously was debating making some swimmers to let people use the Thaumatorium's pool more easily.
Hank of Alienist Hair: The snippet of hair I took off Reisarf while she was using Secondary Storage. Its mana storing properties could be useful.
Raw Mana Experiments: Outside of making potions and feeding some of the surplus to Stargazer, we haven't done much experimentation with it.
Orange Goo: This was once something else... Can it be restored to its original form?
Write In: ...?

I'm feeling energetic and I have some underutilised wizards, we can work on two of these!
>>
No. 917581 ID: 9caba2

>>917574
The Mana Tie sounds like it'd be nifty for experimentation, notably you and Merud could probably learn something about current and dungeon golemetry.
I'm sure Reisarf and Stargazer could also find some use from it, even if they're already very close.

Though the Heating Stone would probably also be nifty at some later point, as having a fire indoors without some sort of immediate outlet for the smoke would be ill-advised. Also, hot baths. Hot. Baths.


I would also like to experiment with the Raw Mana, as it's a renewable resource for us until you manage to get yourself together so to speak. And I think we already have plenty of goo on our hands.

Albeit, the Orange Goo seems like the most time-limited option here, and I would prioritize this over raw mana experimentation.
>>
No. 917582 ID: 1944c0

Resurrection Stabiliser, which your minions will probably like, and Raw Mana Experiments, because it might be good to know more about what can be done with it
>>
No. 917584 ID: 465a14

Deem, make your golem body the heating stone otherwise it'll be a huge pain moving it around whenever it's needed. It also synergizes nicely with the raw mana experiments, what with magical clay, your body, and so on. I think it'd be efficient and practical. Surely you value those as a very mature adult, right?
>>
No. 917587 ID: 094652

Resurrection Stabilizer will get your employees back into the fight faster. You're currently understaffed so having employees get back to work faster will compensate.

>>917581
Agreed, the Orange Goo is decaying fast.
>>
No. 917589 ID: 158da5

>>917587
Sure, sounds good.
>>
No. 917594 ID: 575ec0

Eh. At this point, the Res matrix over energy issue is just as much feature as it is a bug.
Sure it's annoying, but when our denizens die and get rez'd, they now provide these wonderful little bits of crafting material.

I'd say work toward Treated Slime or Raw Mana Experiments.
Both work with materials we are sure to have a steady supply of in the future.

The Orange goo, while interesting, feels like a red herring. We've a limited supply of it unless we start spawning imps, so whatever we learn about it probably won't be useful more than once, at least for a long while.
>>
No. 917602 ID: 1774cd

>>917574
Heating stone! You made promises to these people, work on dehoboification. Then raw mana experiments- it's an exciting resource that nobody else has but you! It'll feel good to turn your biggest disadvantage into a resource.
>>
No. 917606 ID: 575ec0

Actually... After rereading Mahou Shoujo Mystical Dungeoneer, I've uncovered what the orange goop is.
>>>/questarch/849237

It's literally jellied curses. Produced by wild, uncontrolled magic. A unique substance.

I take back what I said about it being a red herring, perhaps further study could be beneficial.

... This also means that Worst slime is also... Literally composed of curses. Knowing that maybe there is something we could do for it?
>>
No. 917612 ID: 080aaf

Research the orange goo. Our delicious slime may be a converted lava slime! I'm not sure which kind is better to have. It also sheds some light on that little blackout episode you had, and nobody likes being left in the dark about their own life. Do they, Deem?
>>
No. 917615 ID: b1b4f3

>>917574
Research orange goo. If you can turn it into its prior form, and that form turns out to be a better material for a slime, we could save the bad slime by reverting its body too.
>>
No. 917619 ID: 91ee5f

>>917574
Go for the Heating Stone and the Orange Goo!
>>
No. 917622 ID: 2202fb

Let try having Hin fix your heart.
>>
No. 917624 ID: c0641d

Am I the only one that thinks the Hank of Alienist Hair should be used to produce a better solution to our heart's runoff problem?
>>
No. 917631 ID: 080aaf

Don't forget to take a look at the Fixity Bangle's clasp while you're at the anvil!
>>
No. 917634 ID: 977456

Resurrection Stabiliser especially if the excess can be repurposed.
orange goo might help Slime Worst.
>I am very mature and adult!!
*dies*
>>
No. 917637 ID: 0c3c2c

>>917574
Construct (Resurrection Stabilizers), as last time we chain-resurrected people, things got pretty confused.

Research [Alienist Hair]
>>
No. 917638 ID: 96d998

>Resurrection Stabiliser
huh. can we absorb the extra energy and use it for something?
>>
No. 917646 ID: 10c408

Resurrection stabilizer. The sump you installed wasn't meant as a solution, it's time to fix that.

And as for the second choice.... We should experiment on Reisarf's hair. If we can figure out a method for mana storage, then our wizard's are going to be more effective. This also might even circumvent your mana problems, Deem.
>>
No. 917656 ID: 75c493

>>917574
Have Merud experiment with Raw Mana.
What has he been up to on his own, anyway?
>>
No. 917662 ID: 8848bd

Mana Tie, it might lead to something that could help restore Deem's heart.
>>
No. 917663 ID: b1b4f3

>>917662
I feel like the explosion would happen again if we linked up the broken spell channels, even if it's indirectly like with a wireless connection device.
>>
No. 917665 ID: 10c408

>>917663
we don't know that for certain, it could be linked to whatever sky power thing was affecting Deem that got smashed when we pissed her off.
>>
No. 917667 ID: 40df11
File 154746605255.png - (23.46KB , 720x720 , hin_featuring_hammer.png )
917667

"How are you feeling?" I ask Hin.

She rocks her new hammer back and forth. "Oof, happy. A bit more tired than I thought though. More stress getting it all done in one session then I thought. Then again, it's been quite a while since I've had a decent commission like this. Maybe I'm out of practice."

>Resurrection stabiliser. The sump you installed wasn't meant as a solution, it's time to fix that.
I clap my hands together. "Well no worries about that any more. I have a little mana left over so once you've rested, I'd like you to work on a stabiliser for the Resurrection Matrix. I've tweaked it a few times already but a more permanent solution would be best."

Hin nods. "Sounds good. Let me grab some lunch and then I'll take a look at the Matrix."

I considered a sort of essence tap to draw out excess energy after it's infused the resurrectee, since having a little of their qualities on hand can be quite useful for developing more skilled golems and biasing magical items but that seemed to be a slowly accumulating and convoluted effect.

Given the lack of reliable healing options, we'll just concentrate the excess energy into gems and expend them or use them for making magic items as necessary.

>We should experiment on Reisarf's hair. If we can figure out a method for mana storage, then our wizard's are going to be more effective. This also might even circumvent your mana problems, Deem.
Sort of? I still need to generate that mana, transfer of mana can be a strain and it's going to be a low density method of storage compared to my Heart.

>Heating stone! You made promises to these people, work on dehoboification.
I currently am heating rocks in the camp fire and then having golems transport them to the bath when needed. It's somewhat cumbersome though.

>Let try having Hin fix your heart.
I barely have a functioning dungeon at this stage, I don't want to risk it.
>>
No. 917668 ID: 40df11
File 154746619255.png - (27.66KB , 800x550 , wizards_no_sense_of_right_or_wrong.png )
917668

>The Orange Goo is decaying fast.
>We've a limited supply of it unless we start spawning imps, so whatever we learn about it probably won't be useful more than once, at least for a long while.
It seems fairly stable, probably isn't caused by imps and I have bathtubs of the stuff.

>Research the orange goo. Our delicious slime may be a converted lava slime! I'm not sure which kind is better to have. It also sheds some light on that little blackout episode you had, and nobody likes being left in the dark about their own life. Do they, Deem?
I like the dark.

>Raw mana experiments- it's an exciting resource that nobody else has but you! It'll feel good to turn your biggest disadvantage into a resource.
Hmmm, true. I get my wizards together for a brainstorm.

"We could try to induce raw mana saturation on your golem body." Merud suggests. "Having a better understanding of the process would be helpful."

"I did get something useful last time." I say. "But I doubt I'd get something as drawback free next time." The only real problem I've had with my Gigant Mode is it's slow to deactivate. "Useful with drawbacks is still more than nothing though."

"We could use a golem as a comparison too." Merud adds. "It wouldn't be very effective in comparison much but if we modify the core to have untethered channels and use a high dose we might see some results."

Potentially worthwhile too.

Reisarf raises a hand. "I could drink some."

Merud and I both turn and stare at him.

He stares back. Stargazer nudges him. "Oh! I was wondering if I can eat it like Stargazer now." he adds.

Merud looks thoughtful. "I don't know much about how it affects living things." He looks at me. "Is it safe?"

I wriggle a hand horizontally. "So-so. Normally you wouldn't want to drink it. It's too unpredictable what it might react with. If Reisarf doesn't have an adverse reaction to a small amount we might be able to try it? We could try feeding Stargazer more too, she's getting more used to absorbing it. Would she mind, Reisarf?"

He looks at her. She wiggles. He nods his head happily. I'll take that as a yes she doesn't mind.

Hin chimes in from the side. "Outside of Alkaline's caul and maybe the clay, the remaining magical material isn't great quality. Even if we don't know what we'll get, it might be worth to try it on a few different things to get something strong enough to use as an item's core. Slime, mushrooms, bomb flowers, spare gems, maybe some of the local plants?"

That's true. I would probably need to convert anything else into a proper catalyst when the earth-pulse is surging before using it.

"If we can figure out a process for something useful and repeatable, that'd be great too." Merud says.

So quite a few different things to try out. We could even catch some imps or frogs to test things on if we're feeling a little cruel. There is quite a bit of raw mana stockpiled thanks to the night hag incident but I don't want to divide our efforts too much. What should we focus on?
>>
No. 917669 ID: 9caba2

>>917668
If Reisarf wants to volunteer, sure.

Though he might want to change form to get bit more gazery until he gets a hang of it, assuming nothing goes wrong.
>>
No. 917670 ID: 080aaf

Test with Stargazer and maybe Reisarf. More mana to matter matters most to our mana matters. He's probably going to drink the stuff anyway, better to do it while someone's watching.
>>
No. 917671 ID: 10c408

Yeah, no. No live testing. We'd never live it down if Reisarf.. changes again so soon after all the work we did.

we'd also probably offend Moriko if we gather a gaggle of imps and start force feeding them raw mana.

And while I'm sure that there won't be nearly as many jokes if we try this on frogs, I'm still gonna vote no.

make a specialty golem and take lots of notes.

But before any of that... it would seem that the slime family has come for a visit. How's Alkaline adjusting to being the caretaker for not one but two slimes?
>>
No. 917672 ID: a62780

>>917668
A lot of the ideas seem to focus on soaking things in the Raw Mana, but is it possible to somewhat direct the effects it'll have by changing the way it is applied?

I was thinking if it could be arranged into something like a glyph/spell channel for an intended effect, maybe then when coming into contact with a material it'll be more disposed to react like an enchantment rather than a random effect.

It'd need a nonreactive mould you could then press onto the object you want to enchant, but I think we're now at a state we could make such a thing.
>>
No. 917673 ID: 96d998

>>917668
i for one vote against unwilling sentient test subjects, unless they're really simple beings like bugs and crabs.

>if we modify the core to have untethered channels
what's this now? the core as in, your core? could you expatiate about this procedure please?
>>
No. 917675 ID: c0641d

"Let's save crafting material testing for when we deplete the stuff we do have. Speaking of, you should start thinking of possible projects for the Slime Caul, Hin. That's not going to stay good forever." Maybe ask Alkaline that if she feels the need to sit in on this meeting, then perhaps she has an idea to offer? If she's got nothing, then my vote's for trying to condense it into something a little more consistent as per Merud's last suggestion.
>>
No. 917678 ID: 824c43

>>917668
>We could even catch some imps or frogs to test things on if we're feeling a little cruel.
Would that really be cruel? We'd be pretty much fulfilling their lives' purpose. It'd be downright heroic.
But honestly, I want to see if it can somehow be used to save Worst Slime. If some imps and frogs need to be sacrificed in the name of progress, well...

>>917673
>what's this now? the core as in, your core? could you expatiate about this procedure please?
He means the golem's core. You know, to make it more like Deem's.
>>
No. 917679 ID: bddb0f

>>917668

I just want to point out that the little slimelings and their background antics are hella cute.

>wat do with raw mana

Uh... hm. Reisarf drinking it sounds like a bad idea, on account that we've no idea what'll happen. On the other hand, right now he may be our toughest, or at least hardest-hitting combatant (have you checked whether he's leveled up yet?), and him recouping some of his lost mana quickly would be a big bonus in terms of defense against monsters and hero readyness.

Merud testing the potential of raw mana on you or a comparison golem sounds promising - beyond just plain upgrading your golem body, getting perks with their own advantages (and disadvantages) on top may end producing something crucial - and at the very least, it'll expand Merud's knowledge. He'll be happy we tried, and a happy golemeter is a productive golemeter.

I think Hin's suggestion to mix it with minor reagents and see what happens is probably the safest (and least disturbing).

Mmm. It's tough. They're all valid, viable options. You may just want to do them in order - time permitting and while raw mana supplies last.
>>
No. 917691 ID: 96d998

>>917678
>It'd be downright heroic.
heroism without choice is not heroism at all.

>He means the golem's core.
oh. nevermind then.
>>
No. 917692 ID: b1b4f3

>>917668
Try using it on the orange goo. Two magical experiments in one!
>>
No. 917703 ID: 1774cd

>>917668
Spaaaaace gemssss
>>
No. 917715 ID: 2202fb

We could put any extra energy into gems and then crush them into a powder and melt it into metal to create some sort of metal alloy. We could then make ingots out of the alloy for storage. (We could also try a Deem-juice alloy)
>>
No. 917723 ID: dfea0e

I agree with Hin's suggestion of testing with minor items, especially bomb flowers.
>>
No. 917731 ID: 977456

Reisarf should drink it while female. That form ought to be more malleable and thus less likely to break. Also it is more expendable if it is horribly mutated into an insane tentacle monster.
>>
No. 917734 ID: b1b4f3

>>917723
>bomb flowers infused with raw mana
Sounds like a good idea to me.
>>
No. 917737 ID: 13110b

>>917668
Hey, the mimic eats mana, in a fashion, right? Could we try feeding it some of the raw mana?
>>
No. 917806 ID: 40df11
File 154755464639.png - (46.26KB , 800x600 , experiment_with_all_this_junk.png )
917806

>Before any of that... it would seem that the slime family has come for a visit. How's Alkaline adjusting to being the caretaker for not one but two slimes?
It might be three soon. She likes looking after them but she might be a little too willing to leave them in the care of someone else if she sees something interesting. Maybe we're coddling her too much.

>If Reisarf wants to volunteer, sure.
>He's probably going to drink the stuff anyway, better to do it while someone's watching.
Hmmm. He did volunteer and it would be good to find out. Even if something bad happens, it'll be a learning experience for him. We'll try it at the end, just in case it leaves him feeling indisposed.

>Hey, the mimic eats mana, in a fashion, right? Could we try feeding it some of the raw mana?
That will almost certainly just make it sick. A mechanism like Stargazer's or Belphe's to process raw mana is fairly rare.

>We could put any extra energy into gems and then crush them into a powder and melt it into metal to create some sort of metal alloy. We could then make ingots out of the alloy for storage. (We could also try a Deem-juice alloy)
I'm not sure what you mean.

>I think Hin's suggestion to mix it with minor reagents and see what happens is probably the safest (and least disturbing).
>I agree with Hin's suggestion of testing with minor items, especially bomb flowers.
I have the golems set up some stone slabs to to use as tables. One for holding candidate materials, one for doing the actual experimenting on.

"Wow, didn't realise we'd collected so much stuff." Hin says, looking at the odds and ends my denizens have piled up. I include a few of the healing potions, just in case.

We start things off with a bang by moving the bomb sapling to the workbench. I carefully saw through the stem while everyone stands back a safe distance and then slowly drill through the tough shell.

Much to my surprise it doesn't explode when drip fed some raw mana. The shell softens and becomes slightly tacky to the touch. A sappy substance oozes out of the hole. It smells like spring and freshly cut grass. Some sort of sticky bomb or fertiliser bomb? Perhaps I should plant it and see what comes up.

I let Hin try a selection of the semi-precious gems we found. Most have no obvious effect, one crumbles into powder and the third one starts gleaming brilliantly. It seems to make the room a little darker around it. One success?

>A lot of the ideas seem to focus on soaking things in the Raw Mana, but is it possible to somewhat direct the effects it'll have by changing the way it is applied?
>I was thinking if it could be arranged into something like a glyph/spell channel for an intended effect, maybe then when coming into contact with a material it'll be more disposed to react like an enchantment rather than a random effect.
We'd need to use a material we have a lot of to figure out a process, but that would be a good way to bias the nature of the raw mana's interactions with the material. Do you have any thoughts there?
>>
No. 917807 ID: 40df11
File 154755472302.png - (20.19KB , 800x600 , wasted.png )
917807

>Try using it on the orange goo. Two magical experiments in one!
I have Merud mix the two together, I hover over his shoulder to see the reaction.

Wait, it's curses! Layer on layer on layer of curses! Neutralised, collapsed, mangled beyond recognition but the structure expands and resurrects under the touch of raw mana. It boils to wicked life as I shove Merud out of the way and throw my body on top of it.

Deem is cursed! Suggest a curse!
>>
No. 917809 ID: 96d998

>>917807
can only speak in rhyme.

cannot lie and/or hide truth.
>>
No. 917810 ID: 9caba2

>>917807
Enhance. Knockers.
How about a curse of goo-dness? Have Deem become far more friendly and better able to gel with her crew.

Not much of a curse for ordinary folks, but I figure Deem displaying affection, altruism and excessive kindness would be a curse for her. At least, once she returns to normal grumpy deem.
>>
No. 917811 ID: ad51b8

>>917807
randomly transforms into different races at random times

list of some possible races to turn into

drider
scorpion drider (drider again but with a scorpion body instead of a spider one)
mermaid
harpy
centaur
spinx
dragon
hydra
kobold
human
troll (or whatever Hin's race is, sorry forgot)
demon
angle
giant
and maybe even whatever stargazer is.
>>
No. 917813 ID: becba8

Curse of childish temperament.
>>
No. 917814 ID: 91ee5f

>>917809
>cannot lie and/or hide truth.
>>917811
>randomly transforms into different races at random times.
Both of these.
>>
No. 917816 ID: 9caba2

>>917813
But isn't that just normal Deem?
>>
No. 917817 ID: daffb0

Boon of the Public Speaker: Subject sees everyone in their underwear.
>>
No. 917818 ID: 2007b6

Nausea, hypersensitivity to light, vomiting delicious candy.
>>
No. 917819 ID: 10c408

Curse of the diminutive form. You are no longer tall.
>>
No. 917820 ID: bddb0f

Curse of the Klepto-manic.

When you go too long without stealing something - truly stealing something with no intention of ever returning it - you become progressively more irrational, irritable, incoherent and/or energetic.
>>
No. 917821 ID: 1774cd

>>917807
Curse of frost
>>
No. 917824 ID: a9af05

>>917814
This
>>
No. 917829 ID: 575ec0

Curse of Kawaii.
Your eyes get abnormally large, and you are forced to say everything in a high pitched and abnormally cutesy manner. You also have several verbal ticks, like DESU~ and UGUU~.

Alternatively, you can be cursed to be made aware of this:
>>917158

Also, if raw mana restores the goo... Maybe a little would beef up our orange slime?
>>
No. 917834 ID: 891c9f

>>917807
Overwhelming need to tell the truth.
Can't stand being alone (applies to her golem body only).
>>
No. 917842 ID: 16f85f

>>917811
yassssss
>>
No. 917843 ID: 465a14

I'm reasonably sure the race TFs are beyond the scope of a relatively minor curse, so I'll just support the truth-telling thing. Extra specifically that she can't lie to herself.
>>
No. 917852 ID: 75c493

>>917807
ultimate curse: randomly muttering headvoice stuff
>>
No. 917854 ID: 13110b

>>917807
Curse of Annoying Affection, causing you to be clingy and and overly affectionate to everyone you come across.
>>
No. 917856 ID: 1a6fd4

>>917807
If we want to combine mayhem with revelations, the best possible curse is this: no internal monologue. Deem can't think things without vocalizing them. A literal apocalypse.
>>
No. 917857 ID: 7ec08e

Fragility, Weakness, Sloth/sluggishness all come to mind.
>>
No. 917859 ID: 4000fb

>>917807
Curse of the Narrator
A bodyless Voice, that either sounds and has the mannerisms of Kevan Brighting Narrates Deems inner Monologue for everyone to hear.
>>
No. 917860 ID: 080aaf

Curse of Oscarius! Deem is reduced to small figurine height, but also turns golden. It's fool's gold, but that doesn't deter creatures that collect shinies.
>>
No. 917866 ID: 512b73

Luminous curse: You now emit light. And it costs you some mana over time.
>>
No. 917881 ID: a9af05

>>917824
Oh, I've got another idea!

Deem's body is now made out of the edible orange stuff! Meaning that her body is also edible!

She better be careful who she's around now, otherwise her own minions might try to eat her!
>>
No. 917887 ID: 977456

Well, shrinking to pocket-size would be fun.
Her heart should obviously become a disco-ball.
Yes! The Curse of The Funk!
Her entire being
has a disco theme.
The poofy hair and legs that flare.
A disco ball whose shoes are tall.
Watch her swing with too much bling.
>>
No. 917888 ID: 094652

Deem is HUNGRY and will merge characteristics with anyone she devours.

Is the resurrection matrix still on?
>>
No. 917892 ID: 99ed9b

Deem loses her inner monologue.
>>
No. 917895 ID: 0c3c2c

>>917807
Curse of EMOTIONAL HONESTY. Deem feels compelled to explain her feelings for everyone she knows.
>>
No. 917898 ID: a98542

>>917807
Enhance Knockers.

She did dive chest-first onto the goo, after all.
>>
No. 917900 ID: afdebc

>>917807
Limited mind reading.

Deem will now know exactly what anyone she interacts with thinks about her, whether she wants to or not. But not anything else they think.
>>
No. 917903 ID: 575ec0

Oh. Here's a curse for free.

Moriko and Stargazer know about us voices, and that we speak to you in your head.

Stargazer might have a grudge on us.

Moriko probably knew you were dealing with us when you zoned out with her earlier, but didn't say anything.

Just ruminate on that for a little bit. The curse is the annoyance this will cause you.
>>
No. 917904 ID: 465a14

Wait, wait, I know! Enhance Deem's knockers whenever she lies, including to herself.
>>
No. 917935 ID: b5fb67

>>917807

Curse of Pantsu. Deem will spontaneously generate panties from her being for 12 hours.
>>
No. 917937 ID: b1b4f3

Curse of incorrect proportions. Big Head Mode, or maybe tiny t-rex arms.
Curse of Clumsiness. Deem's already off balance, but it can easily get worse!
>>
No. 917945 ID: 158da5

>>917852
Mutterrr
>>
No. 917972 ID: 2202fb

I really really like the "cursed to impulsively overshare the truth/how they really feel" ideas. Deem needs to break down her tough facade.
>>
No. 917973 ID: 7814f0

>>917972
Everything's going to fall apart because of that, and Deem will feel even more justified in keeping her secrets. But oh, will we ever have fun while it lasts. In a 'suffering' kind of fun.
>>
No. 917983 ID: 10c408

>>917972
yeah, that's a great idea. Let's have Deem admit to everyone in earshot that she almost had a psychotic episode due to our incessant meddling JUST BECAUSE she "needs to lose her tough facade"

Worst therapy 'idea' ever. Let's not do that.

>>
No. 918023 ID: 0163cc

Ok so the fact you just got cursed is bad, but this interaction actually has enormous potential for traps. You have tons of the orange goo and a lot of raw mana, so you could set up a bunch of simple mechanisms to mix them together when an adventurer does a certain thing and bam! Curse trap.
>>
No. 918025 ID: 13110b

>>918023
Also, we happen to a have a resident curse eating slime.
>>
No. 918051 ID: 017879

>>917807
Curse of mowhawk. Deem is cursed to have a mowhawk.
>>
No. 918053 ID: 40df11
File 154771792679.png - (39.36KB , 600x750 , clothing_damage_rpdeem.png )
918053

...

This was a new dress.

>Ok so the fact you just got cursed is bad, but this interaction actually has enormous potential for traps. You have tons of the orange goo and a lot of raw mana, so you could set up a bunch of simple mechanisms to mix them together when an adventurer does a certain thing and bam! Curse trap.
No, it's too unreliable. I don't know if it'll turn them pink or turn their bones to glass. I need something I know will create an appropriate level threat. The harm to the invader, the difficulty in dissolving it, the malice...

It's odd, I snake my senses through my golem body to see if I can find out anything about that melange of curses I inadvertently unleashed. I don't feel anything directly harmful. Nothing to steal my breath or wither my flesh. That's unlikely. And will make things difficult. I start absent-mindedly picking at my waist tie to remove the contaminated clothing.

>Also, we happen to a have a resident curse eating slime.
Alkaline resists curses and breaks them down easily but that doesn't make her immune to them. If I want her to swallow curses I need to afflict her with them first. Maybe I've been too soft, maybe I should use something with real strength on her. I enjoy her happy nature too much, I think.

>Also, if raw mana restores the goo... Maybe a little would beef up our orange slime?
It's destroyed some of the things I've used it on. Perhaps something more constricted, something mildly related to curse magic like the imp flesh to see if that strengthens the slime.

"We're not going to expose anything else left over from that nightmare to raw mana." I slowly say.
>>
No. 918054 ID: 40df11
File 154771799127.png - (29.30KB , 600x750 , feeling_snek.png )
918054

I look over my shoulder. "Merud, are you alright? You didn't breathe in any fumes or anything?"

"I, I don't think so." Merud says. "Deem, your hair!"

Twisting into snakey shapes. I see it now, playing in the back of my head thoughts of medusae I've seen, a compulsion to be take on that shape. It wavers, it seems it might be a passing fad. What about dragons? No, maybe not dragons.

"I've been cursed." I tell him. "You might have been too." I sigh. "Let me look at you." I use the scan lens to assist me, as it's the only tool I have. I check his pulse, look in his eyes, check his throat. "They're tricky things, curses. Effective ones hide in the dark, hooking their barbs into hidden places. The afflicted doesn't want to see them. And ones that don't cause any direct harm to their victim are harder to fight off, they don't provoke a reaction."

I pat him on the back. "Either you're unaffected or it's too subtle for me to see. If you feel any strange compulsions to do anything, don't do them. Unless you think it'd be worse if you don't do them." I notice his unimpressed look. "You have to play things by ear with curses. You're going to need a chaperone for a few days."

He looks like he wants to object.

"I do too!" I nudge my serpentine hair as I turn to address at the others. "This seems harmless enough, it might even be good golemetry practice. But I don't know if that's the only thing affecting me. We're under-equipped to do anything about it. I might not even be able to recognise if I am acting under the effects of a curse. I'm very resistant to these things. This might have been the only thing that got through. But until I erode or expel it, we'd better be careful."

I swallow nervously. This is the hard part. "I'm going to put a seal on myself so I can't use some of the dungeon's magic without a token held by another."

Who should I give that to?
>>
No. 918057 ID: 9caba2

>>918054
If you're going to give a token to your staff, you might as well give it to Stargazer. I'm sure she'll find somewhere to store it safely.
>>
No. 918058 ID: 465a14

>>918054
Moriko.
>>
No. 918060 ID: a11364

>>918054
merud.
or if that's a bad idea because he might be cursed too, then moriko.
>>
No. 918062 ID: 10c408

Give it to Hin. Out of everyone here, she's neither squishy (Reisarf), possibly cursed (Merud) or in some pretty hefty denial about herself (moriko).
>>
No. 918063 ID: 080aaf

>>918054
Moriko would be hard-pressed to say no. Give it to Reisarf. He's easygoing, but will stop you when it counts.
>>
No. 918064 ID: 977456

Well, Moriko IS your primary guardian, and she IS skilled at discerning magic.
Stargazer and Reisarf ought have the better senses, but one has distinctly alien thought processes, and the other doesn't speak.
Merud is contaminated and Hin has a newly readied forge to break in, while the monsters seem prone to obedience. That said, Moriko might be reluctant to oppose you directly, you might need to confront her about the full threat of an unstable Deem.
>>
No. 918069 ID: 0c3c2c

>>918054
Hmmmm... Moriko has her own issues to deal with and an additional stressor might make her life worse right now. Hin is busy with her work and still not quite recovered from her illnesses. Reisarf is young and inexperienced.

Clearly we should give it to our oldest and most trusted minion, Chakarchelou
>>
No. 918071 ID: ad51b8

honestly I say either go with Moriko or Reisarf.
Moriko would probably like that you're putting so much trust into her and Reisarf is carrying the least amount of emotional baggage with him right now so you know that his head is clear.

Would suggest Hin but after that debacle with her and your core I don't really feel ready enough to trust her with something like this

Alkaline is a no go because I don't think she's mature enough to handle something like this yet

Merud may also be cursed so it would kinda defeat the purpose I feel

and while Chakarchelou would be an amusing choice to be sure but he can't be the one you pick for obvious reasons.
>>
No. 918076 ID: 017879

>>918054
I'd say Hin. The same meddling do-gooding attitude that led her to lifting your core before is exactly what we need here. Someone willing to override any strange impulses you may be under the effect of and not realize.

Merud may be compromised by stealth curses, Moriko is maybe too loyal that it would be a distressing duty for her if you start demanding it back out of some impulse, and Reisarf should be busy supervising Merud.

See, the two best chaperones, by merit of their observational prowess, are Moriko and Reisarf. Patrolling with Moriko sounds like a welcome distraction from your self-sealed state to me. It'll get you out of the cave and doing something useful that doesn't rely on, and remind you of, dungeon magic.

Also, are you sure your curse isn't too "real"? What if you've made Merud rock hard somewhere and he's hiding it from you? Seriously consider a full examination.
>>
No. 918077 ID: bddb0f

Oof. Shame about the dress. You should definitely get some kind of 'work clothes' that you can use on the regular, instead of your finest finery.

... man, I wonder how all of these curses came to be in the first place. A byproduct of your state? Something the Hag did? Also - now that we know what it is - anything in particular we could do with all of this hazardous waste? Feed it to Alkaline for training/disposal purposes?

We should probably not touch the worst slime with raw mana. Goodness knows what it is actually originally composed of. A sentient curse?

>>918076

Give it to Moriko. She's capable, always was, and should still be. I don't think her issue makes her less trustworthy - just a little less efficient.

Maybe this is a good opportunity for all of you - you, Moriko and Merud - to test out the meditation chamber? If the curse forces you to act or think in a certain way, trying to sit still and think of nothing may rather clearly delineate what its nature is.

Although... if nothing bad happens immediately, you should probably try to wrap up the experiments first, while you have everyone gathered.

Hmm... another thought. You've got a clay body, and this curse was some manner of contaminant. Could the curse be soaking in slowly? Could, say, Alkaline hug you and soak out some of the material? Or at least salvage your clothes.

>snake hair

Be cute and cozy up to snuggle things.
>>
No. 918078 ID: 158da5

Loyalty means that you can order Moriko to ignore later orders, and she's not going to just forget the initial order. So just make the order clear that she's to use her best judgement about the token, to compare anything Deem says to pre-curse Deem, and to reflexively second guess Deem.
>>
No. 918079 ID: 575ec0

Give it to stargazer. The Noodle is good people.
>>
No. 918080 ID: 7814f0

>>918071
I can't believe it took me this long to notice that "Reisarf" is "Frasier" backwards.
>>
No. 918086 ID: b1b4f3

>>918054
Merud is disqualified since he could be cursed too. Moriko is dealing with some after-effects still so I wouldn't give it to her. Stargazer is probably the best choice since she was instrumental in bringing you out of the nightmare, and is very observant. She should be able to tell if you're not well.
>>
No. 918099 ID: 2202fb

Stargazer and Reisarf.

They totally dont have a hidden agenda (i highly doubt they are a evil tho) and are going to exploit this for the good of everyone to Deem's chagrin, or anything. Definitely not.
>>
No. 918133 ID: 99ed9b

It's pretty obvious it should be Moriko. Why wouldn't you give your defender the responsibility of overseeing you while vulnerable.

Can't give it to Merud, Resiarf isn't the right person for this job, Stargazer probably isn't really an option, though Hin might also be a valid option if Moriko couldn't.
>>
No. 918136 ID: afdebc

>Who should I give that to?
Moriko. Let her feel like she's protecting you, and reinforce that you trust her. It'll be good for her, especially with what else she has going on.
>>
No. 918137 ID: 977456

If you don't know if the curse is affecting your decisions, then you can't be trusted to decide who should protect you from the curse. Tell your uncursed denizens to decide who is on monitor duty.
>>
No. 918142 ID: a11364

not stargazer please. she's not exactly the rule abiding type. she's loyal to none but reisarf.

>>918080
i will never be able to look at his name the same way again.
>>
No. 918143 ID: 498ed0

I still stand by this curse interaction being useful. Maybe not for adventurers, but it could make a weapon against monsters that wander in. Or maybe you could control what kind of curse is produced by using Belphe to mix them. Curse potions.
>>
No. 918152 ID: 10c408

You know, it just occurred to me.. Is it possible that all of the orange goo laying around is simply night hag blood and/or guts? We wounded it pretty heavily and the goo is both everywhere and an apparently heavily cursed substance.
>>
No. 918161 ID: 094652

Use a dice roll to determine the rotation order.
>>
No. 918208 ID: 2007b6

Give the token to Hin. She's the only individual you know of who has absolutely proven her willingness and ability to work behind your back and against your explicit orders, even to the point of temporarily cutting off your powers and arguing with or fighting your other servants, just to check important facts independently when she thinks you're being too sneaky, or taking unreasonable risks. You didn't think that would be an asset, but now it is! Congratulations.
>>
No. 918212 ID: 977456

Moriko has some very good sensory abilities, especially towards creatures of The Earth Pulse. Someone who relies upon a power-source larger than their own head to fight doesn't strike me as a great personage.
Did Moriko keep Deem's "I am actually the dungeon" secret since their duel and still hasn't told anyone? You might want to ask her about that before entrusting her with a curse that might randomly change what people hear when you talk.
>>
No. 918244 ID: 891c9f

>>918212
That hasn't been a secret since the Hin-heart incident.
>>
No. 918246 ID: 977456

>>918244
It still reflects upon Moriko's willingness to resist Deem.
>>
No. 918255 ID: 40df11
File 154787048751.png - (22.00KB , 800x550 , clothing_construction.png )
918255

>If you don't know if the curse is affecting your decisions, then you can't be trusted to decide who should protect you from the curse. Tell your uncursed denizens to decide who is on monitor duty.
...

I think they'd say something if I was making an obvious bad decision.

>Oof. Shame about the dress. You should definitely get some kind of 'work clothes' that you can use on the regular, instead of your finest finery.
Well it was meant to be temporary anyway, I suppose. And the other piece of fabric is fine. I should be able to improvise something out of odds and ends.

>See, the two best chaperones, by merit of their observational prowess, are Moriko and Reisarf. Patrolling with Moriko sounds like a welcome distraction from your self-sealed state to me. It'll get you out of the cave and doing something useful that doesn't rely on, and remind you of, dungeon magic.

>Stargazer and Reisarf ought have the better senses, but one has distinctly alien thought processes, and the other doesn't speak.
"Communicating with them is difficult at the best of times..." That's a good point. It will have to be Moriko.

>Merud is contaminated and Hin has a newly readied forge to break in, while the monsters seem prone to obedience. That said, Moriko might be reluctant to oppose you directly, you might need to confront her about the full threat of an unstable Deem.
She's experienced it already. "That nightmare was bad enough." This curse isn't in the same category as that, but I did have that dawn conversation with her about this exact thing.

"Is everything OK, Deem?" Hin asks.

"Just thinking." I say. "I'll have to give the token to Moriko, I think."

"No objections here!" Hin says.

Moriko nods solemnly. "Please excuse me then, I need to prepare myself for this responsibility." she walks out into Hin's forge and then up towards the Meditation Room.

>Maybe this is a good opportunity for all of you - you, Moriko and Merud - to test out the meditation chamber? If the curse forces you to act or think in a certain way, trying to sit still and think of nothing may rather clearly delineate what its nature is.
Hmm, perhaps. I'll need to think of some light activities for everyone while I work through this curse anyway.
>>
No. 918256 ID: 40df11
File 154787056157.png - (24.57KB , 600x750 , slime_hugs_aka_slhugs.png )
918256

>You've got a clay body, and this curse was some manner of contaminant. Could the curse be soaking in slowly? Could, say, Alkaline hug you and soak out some of the material? Or at least salvage your clothes.
The curse has already expended it's power, but I'm going to allow this anyway.

>... man, I wonder how all of these curses came to be in the first place. A byproduct of your state? Something the Hag did? Also - now that we know what it is - anything in particular we could do with all of this hazardous waste? Feed it to Alkaline for training/disposal purposes?
I was cursed and then my dungeon was completely sealed to let it curdle while the earth-pulse was running wild. That's a breeding ground for curses.

>You know, it just occurred to me.. Is it possible that all of the orange goo laying around is simply night hag blood and/or guts? We wounded it pretty heavily and the goo is both everywhere and an apparently heavily cursed substance.
"Unless it was secretly a whale or elephant that much blood wouldn't have fit in its body." It's harmless in its natural state. I've been eating it for the past week.

Alkaline's clinging to me so tightly. I think she's thinking back to the night hag too.

I twist a bit, rocking her side to side. "Now now, silly slime, not so tight. I'm not going anywhere."

I pat her on the back and soothe her for a little while. "Now your slimes must be getting hungry, so why don't you go with Hin and get something for them?"

I look over at my blacksmith. "Hin, could you try giving the orange slime some of the imp meat? Seeing what we've learned, that might be good for it."

>Alkaline is a no go because I don't think she's mature enough to handle something like this yet
She's still a child.

>Clearly we should give it to our oldest and most trusted minion, Chakarchelou.
He'd probably get too demanding with chin scratches in exchange for doing anything.
>>
No. 918257 ID: 40df11
File 154787072391.png - (32.95KB , 600x750 , it_might_have_turned_you_into_a_frog_instead.png )
918257

>Also, are you sure your curse isn't too "real"? What if you've made Merud rock hard somewhere and he's hiding it from you? Seriously consider a full examination.
I would have known that something was up if he was having any trouble with his circulation.

>I still stand by this curse interaction being useful. Maybe not for adventurers, but it could make a weapon against monsters that wander in. Or maybe you could control what kind of curse is produced by using Belphe to mix them. Curse potions.
That is a good point, actually. Perhaps it does merit some further investigation.

But first Merud is looking a little stressed, so I sit next to him for a chat.

"How are you so calm, Deem?" he says to me. He shifts uncomfortably in his seat. "You don't know what's wrong, you don't know what might be messing with your head..."

"Because I've been here before, Merud." I tell him. "That's all experience really is. I've been in a lot of new and uncomfortable situations of late, but with this I know where I stand. Don't worry about yourself either. A curse is something that's imposed on someone, a thorny thing that grips onto them with its barbs. The harm it inflicts is something you'd use to diagnose and remove it. Your spirit will