|HWC by Farmer|
Adventures of a linguistically limited rescue robot and his wingman.
The (previously lost) third thread is currently being run on MSPA, with an ancillary suggestion thread on tgchan.
Andrews' Word List
These are the parameters I use when rewriting what he says. Have fun!
- Single numbers. ("Two-zero-mike" instead of "twenty million")
- Single letters. He can't combine them though ('Naomi' would come as "En-Ay-Oh-Em-Yi) so he just avoids them.
- The NATO phonetic alphabet (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO_phonetic_alphabet ). Interestingly enough, he can't use those words for anything else (cant say 'golf' to refer the game). Except when they are in the other word lists.
- The Basic English word list, as found in http://ogden.basic-english.org/words.html
- He can verb any word, but not tense them
- -s plurals allowed
- 'Agenting' (-r and -er suffix) not allowed.
- Military / Air Force jargon
- If a word can be replaced with one from the Basic Word List, he uses the Basic one ('state' instead of 'status'; I slipped in No Animals Were Harmed)
- If a word is too useful outside military meaning, its not jargon.
- If a word has a meaning specific enough / is too useful / is too much part of the Air Force culture, he knows it ('Wingman')
- He can say every military rank, but not every military position (an officer at Logistics would probably come out as 'Transport Lieutenant')
- He can say air force slang. So far, he just chose not to.
- 'Sir' and 'Ma'am'.
For the record, these are some of his known words. I'll add more as the list grows.
- Wingman, Flank, Sat (from satellite), Acknowledged (ACK, radio)
Andrews has assembled a vocab of concepts he needed words for. Feel free to let this list grow.
- Fire-death Gun; The firehose.
- Fire Authority: The Firemen Corps. The Authority by itself usually means The Police.
- The Beautiful Game: Soccer. Don't take it as him being a soccer fan; I added here mostly to show possibilities, as its an actual term for the game he can use (even if its rarely used).
It IS of note...
- ... that Andrews is a native English speaker, and can understand perfectly anything that is said to him.
- ... that he knows he's working with a limited set of words, and works around it.
- ... that he speaks brokenly on purpose. The why is left to speculation.
- ... that he can use any word he knows with any meaning he can think of, except for the NATO phonetic alphabet thing.
Appearances by the cast Inside the Quest.
|This article is a stub. You can help improve Wikiquest by expanding it.|
|Quests by Farmer|
Collaborations: R.A.M. vs G.A.C.