[Burichan] [Futaba] [Nice] [Pony]  -  [WT]  [Home] [Manage]
[Catalog View] :: [Graveyard] :: [Rules] :: [Quests] :: [Discussions] :: [Wiki]

[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [Last 100 posts]
Posting mode: Reply
Name
Email
Subject   (reply to 919135)
Message
File []
Password  (for post and file deletion)
  • Supported file types are: GIF, JPG, PNG, SWF
  • Maximum file size allowed is 10000 KB.
  • Images greater than 250x250 pixels will be thumbnailed.
  • Currently 40162 unique user posts. View catalog

File 154856129692.png - (3.90KB , 800x600 , 0.png )
919135 No. 919135 ID: 15a025

Previous Threads & Wiki:
https://tgchan.org/wiki/The_Herd

Discussion Thread: https://tgchan.org/kusaba/questdis/res/115339.html
Expand all images
>>
No. 919136 ID: 15a025
File 154856139429.png - (4.77KB , 800x600 , 1.png )
919136

I walk into my boss' place and try to brush off the cold. Despite being a little after one in the morning, I hear someone upstairs smashing away at a keyboard. Guess she's got the other girl I work with on the graveyard shift too.
>>
No. 919137 ID: 15a025
File 154856148521.png - (4.87KB , 800x600 , 2.png )
919137

I make my way upstairs and head into the office. For once, there isn't a bottle of beer to been seen anywhere.

Roxie's Boss: "Roxie, what the hell! Why'd you kill him?"

Roxie: "I- what? Who?!"

Boss: "I got a call from Slick tonight. Said someone gave him photos of Snowshoe's corpse not too long after he was supposed to be back from picking up his package. Person who took the photos said it was you."

Roxie: "Screw them! The snow leopard was dead when I got there!"

Boss: "Well, tell that to Slick! Or, actually don't do that. He's...looking for ya."

Gee, try to make it sound like I've got a chance.

Roxie: "Hang on, he's in town?!"

Boss: "I guess? Apparently he ran into Marsh and my sister the other day."
>>
No. 919140 ID: b1b4f3

>>919137
Huh, that's your boss? She seems a bit young.
Anyway tell her you had a run-in with some cultists and a chimera. Sounds like they're working with the person who gave the photos to Slick. Also strictly speaking he wasn't dead when you got there, he died just after you got there. Killed by the cultists, who implied the snow leopard backstabbed them.

Also give her the enchantment stone and tell her she's kindof nuts to be selling these.
>>
No. 919144 ID: 91ee5f

>>919137
Tell her everything that happened while you were in the warehouse. Don’t forget to mention that there were cultists and a chimera and they all wanted the package, which you didn’t let them get their hands on it!

I’m not sure if you want to tell her about us, but if you do, tell her that if you didn’t have us and some light magic, you’d also be dead!

And then ask her why she lied to you about there being the usual special candy being in the box? You knew the cultists wouldn’t go through this much trouble for that, so you opened the box and found there was an enchantment stone in there!

Then tell her how dumb she is for trying to sell something like that! Now those cultists are going to come looking for her and they’ll either take her sister hostage or they’ll kill her to get any other enchantment stones she’s got!
>>
No. 919220 ID: a9af05

>>919140
>>919144
Yeah, what these guys said.

And if you do tell her about your necklace, you might as well go ahead and tell her about us voices and the light magic in it.

If she asks where you got us, tell her you got us from a priest from the church.
>>
No. 919293 ID: 15a025
File 154871566214.png - (4.97KB , 800x600 , 3.png )
919293

>tell her you had a run-in with some cultists and a chimera. Sounds like they're working with the person who gave the photos to Slick.
>Tell her everything that happened while you were in the warehouse.

Roxie: "Okay, back on topic here. The local cult and a chimera was hiding out in the warehouse and killed the snow leopard. I managed to kill one of them, but he said something about the snow leopard backstabbing-"

Boss: "Hang on, local cult?"

Roxie: "You know, the creeps in purple robes that curse and kidnap people?"

Boss: "No? Roxie, you better not be trying to tell me a group of nerds killed Snowshoe? Because that's what it kind of sounds like."

Roxie: "Are you kidding me? You seriously don't know about the cult!"

Boss: "Should I?"

>give her the enchantment stone and tell her she's kindof nuts to be selling these.
>tell her how dumb she is for trying to sell something like that! Now those cultists are going to come looking for her and they’ll either take her sister hostage or they’ll kill her to get any other enchantment stones she’s got!
Roxie: "Considering they know you're selling these, yes."

I open the box up and dump it on to her desk.
Roxie: "Real special candy alright. Why'd you lie to me about this?"

Boss: "Some things are better off not knowing. Besides, if I told you what it really was, you wouldn't have taken the job."

>I’m not sure if you want to tell her about us, but if you do, tell her that if you didn’t have us and some light magic, you’d also be dead!
Don't think I'm telling her, at least not now.
Roxie: "Just how stupid are you! You realize those purple freaks are going to start shaking us down for these stupid magic rocks now!"

Boss: "And who says they can't have them? I'm selling if they're buying."

Roxie: "Let me put it this way. I don't think they're the kind to pay for things."

Boss: "Carful there Roxie. With how much you know about them, I'd almost have to say you're part of this group of nerds."

I just shoot her a disgusted look

Boss: "Ease up, I'm just giving ya shit. So, hang on. What did this have to do with Snowshoe again?"

Roxie: "Are you even paying attention? They killed him! I'm willing to bet whoever showed Slick the photos is either the killer, or working with the cult. I'm being framed here!"

Sugar: "Cut me some slack, it's been a long night and I'm out of drinks. Let me think here for a moment."
>>
No. 919294 ID: 15a025
File 154871579785.gif - (75.47KB , 800x600 , 4.gif )
919294

She pulls out a cigarette and tries to light it, but her lighter isn't working. After giving up, she chucks the lighter across the room.

Sugar: "Cheap gas station trash. Guess I need a new lighter too. Anyway..."

She pauses and taps her unlit cigarette on the desk a bit.

Boss: "Alright. I'll see if I can't pass your story towards Slick. Not sure he's going to want to talk to me now though. This whole thing isn't making me look to good either."

Well, at least she's got an incentive to help me out. Or, I got a way to maybe turn things around on her with Slick...

Roxie: "And if you can't?"

Boss: "You tell me, he's out for you right now. What are you going to do?"

Throwing me under again, thanks. I don't think I've got a lot of options either. I could ask to stay here for a few days to lay low. I'm practically out in the middle of nowhere. It's...probably a fairly obvious hiding spot though. Coming to my boss' place to look for me is probably the first thing he'd so. Then again, does he even know where this is?

I could talk to Blitz and see if I can't hide in the church for a couple of days, maybe do some charity work or something to help out in return? Only problem I can see with that is the cult coming after the church and dealing with them again.

The last thing I can think of is calling up one of the gangs my boss is friendly with and hiding out with them. They're definitely going to want something from us in return for the protection though. Be it cash, help with something, or...candy.

That's all I've got at least. How about you guys?
>>
No. 919300 ID: b1b4f3

>>919294
Go to the church. The cult's already picked a fight with you, how about we show them how bad a mistake that is? We can take them down if we get access to enough resources, and the church is full of people who use light magic so the cult will have a real hard time fighting them directly, and heck they're gonna start getting some real heat on their asses if they take the fight public like that.

Before you go, ask what Marsh was doing talking to Slick. Or maybe you should talk to her yourself and find out?
>>
No. 919310 ID: 91ee5f

>>919293
Can you tell us your boss’ name? And the names of the person typing on the computer and your boss’ sister’s name?

>”And who says they can't have them? I'm selling if they're buying."
The problem with that is the fact that if they don’t feel like paying, they’ll threaten your family or curse them or something! Your boss doesn’t want anything to happen to her sister, does she?

And I’ve been wondering, are you your boss’ only delivery person? If not, then have any of the other delivery people been attacked recently? Because if they have, then they might’ve also been delivering an enchantment stone that your boss didn’t tell them they were delivering.

>>919294
>Where to hide?
I say you should go hide with the church, since they’ve got light magic, so if the cult comes looking for you, you’ll at least get some protection.

Also, the church can help you get better at using light magic.
>>
No. 919399 ID: a9af05

>>919300
>>919310
I agree with both of these guys.
>>
No. 919571 ID: 15a025
File 154890919193.png - (5.01KB , 800x600 , 5.png )
919571

>Can you tell us your boss’ name?
Long as you don't tell- oh who am I kidding. Pretty much everyone in town knows it these days. Her name's Sugar.

>And the names of the person typing on the computer and your boss’ sister’s name?
Person on the computer is probably-

???: "You think I've got all night to wait for you to save this document!"

No, that's definitely Marsh in there.

As for the boss' sister, which one? There's her sister Candy. She just moved into town a little bit ago. Then there's Pepper, her youngest sister.

>I’ve been wondering, are you your boss’ only delivery person?
Pretty much the one and only. When Pepper's in town she comes along with me on the safer and actually normal deliveries. Nothing like what tonight's was supposed to be.

>Go to the church. The cult's already picked a fight with you, how about we show them how bad a mistake that is?
>I say you should go hide with the church, since they’ve got light magic, so if the cult comes looking for you, you’ll at least get some protection.
>Also, the church can help you get better at using light magic.
Roxie: "I'm going to... go hide at the last place Slick would look for me."

Sugar: "And where would that be?"

Roxie: "I'm not saying. How do I know you're not going to sell me out?"

Sugar: "You're the only one I can get to do these deliveries? I'm kind of screwed here if you end up in the lake with cement shoes."

Roxie: "Doesn't matter. I'm not risking it right now. Just like I how I don't feel like risking driving back home this late. Mind if I crash here till the morning."

Sugar: "Long as you don't mind sleeping on the floor. I'm kind of over packed as it is. Sharcole's been living here the past few days now so Marsh's couch is taken."

Roxie: "Yeah, whatever."

>Before you go, ask what Marsh was doing talking to Slick.
Roxie: "Hang on, you said Marsh was talking with Slick? Why?"

Sugar: "Don't know. Her and my sister ran into him somewhere. Came back with a letter from him for me. That's pretty much it."

Roxie: "And what was the letter about?"

Sugar: "Another mess of Marsh's I had to clean up. Man, she's every bit of a pain as she is useful."

I can hear some more pounding come from the other room.
Sugar: "Marsh! If I go in there and find there's keyboard keys all over the floor again I'm cutting your pay in half!"

Sounds like that got her to stop.

Sugar: "Anyway, you can go crash on the floor in Candy's room. Just try not to wake her up if Marsh hasn't."
>>
No. 919572 ID: 15a025
File 154890923013.png - (4.48KB , 800x600 , 6.png )
919572

It's been awhile since I've had to stay out here, but luckily the extra blankets are still where I remember them being. After grabbing a few I head into Candy's room.

Roxie: "Oh joy, cold hardwood floor. Thanks bo-."

I hear Candy jump up in her bed. She mumbles something but I can't make it out.
>>
No. 919573 ID: 15a025
File 154890927613.png - (4.49KB , 800x600 , 7.png )
919573

With a little click, she turns on her lamp.

Candy: "Roxie!? Aghh... what are doing here this late at night?
>>
No. 919578 ID: 91ee5f

>>919571
Jeez, do only women live here? Are they all as cute as you, Roxie?

>>919573
Apologize for waking her up and tell her that since Marsh’s couch was taken, Sugar said that you could sleep on the floor in this room.

If she asks why you’re staying here instead of going home, tell her that it’s late at night and you don’t want to drive in the dark.

.....hey, do you trust Candy? You said she just came to town a few days ago, so it might be safe to tell her where you’re going to be hiding. You know, just in case there’s an emergency or something. Just make sure you tell her that she’s the only one you’re gonna tell and have her promise not to tell anyone else, especially Sugar.
>>
No. 919582 ID: b1b4f3

>>919573
Tell her about the cultist bullshit. May as well pump her for information about Slick.
>>
No. 919639 ID: a9af05

>>919571
>Only delivery person
Then has anyone that you know of been attacked? Close friends or family of Sugar or anyone else associated with anyone in her group?

>>919573
Like everyone else said, if you trust her, tell her what's going on.
>>
No. 919680 ID: 2202fb

Touch us to her earring so we can ~communicate~ with each other!

assuming we, as separate charm spirits would still be able to tell she has a similar charm on her based on appearance, aura, or mystical past experience, otherwise disregard
>>
No. 919703 ID: 91ee5f

>>919680
I don’t think we would have that ability.
>>
No. 919719 ID: a9af05

>>919680
No metagaming, please.
>>
No. 919930 ID: 15a025
File 154926116345.png - (4.51KB , 800x600 , 8.png )
919930

>Touch us to her earring
Which earring? It doesn't look like she's wearing one?

>Has anyone that you know of been attacked? Close friends or family of Sugar
Yes actually. Just the other day the cult tried to kidnap my friend Tulip, at least it sounded like that's what happened?

>Apologize for waking her up and tell her that since Marsh’s couch was taken, Sugar said that you could sleep on the floor in this room.
Roxie: "Sorry for waking you up. Apparently Marsh's couch is taken so I get the floor tonight."

Candy: "Well, it wasn't like I was getting much sleep with Marsh working upstairs anyway. Hey, what are you doing here this late at night?"

>hey, do you trust Candy? You said she just came to town a few days ago
She's helped saved my friend Tulip twice already. Even though she is related to my boss, I guess I can trust her. And thinking about it more, she's been here for a couple of weeks actually? Hard telling time with how much has been going on honestly.

>Tell her about the cultist bullshit.
Roxie: "Candy, you know about the cult right?"

Candy: "Oh I guess. It's not like I just ran into one of those purple freaks the other day and got a leg full of broken glass or anything. What's that got anything to do with you being-"

She stops and starts to panic a bit.

Candy: "Don't tell me there coming here or something, are they?"

Roxie: "No! No. I did run into them though. Been a long night and had to report some stuff to your sister. Now it's late and I don't really feel safe driving home."

Candy: "What happened?"

I fill her in a bit about warehouse and my escape. I leave out the part about killing one of them with my beat stick though.
Candy: "Huh. Your 'little helper' sounds vaguely familiar."

Roxie: "Huh? Do you know them?"

Candy: "Well...no? Just sounds like someone I've been hearing about lately."

Roxie: "I doubt that little punk would be the talk of the town. It's probably someone else."

Candy: "Yeah, could be?"

>May as well pump her for information about Slick.
Roxie: "Hey speaking of people, what do you know about Slick?"

Candy: "Who?"

Roxie: "Seriously? He's a hyena guy. Kind of the big mob boss over in the other town?"

Candy: "I think? Me and Marsh ran into a shady hyena at the mall a few days ago."

Roxie: "What were you doing there?"

Candy: "Picking up medicine for Sharcole. Not sure how he knew I was related to Sugar, but he did. Gave me and Marsh a letter for her. He said he was going to ask if we wanted talk over some coffee-"

Roxie: "Did you?"

Candy: "No, he changed his mind since we were both 'giving him the stink eye' or something?"

Roxie: "I- yikes. Candy, he's not exactly someone you want to be on the bad side of."

Candy: "Gee, thanks for the heads up. Why'd you ask about him anyway?"

Roxie: "He's uh...'looking for me' right now."

Candy: "Why? Just go- oh... What happened?"

Roxie: "Let's just keep it simple and say I'm being framed for something."

Candy: "I'm not even going to ask."

>tell her where you’re going to be hiding.
Roxie: "Can I ask you something? Well, as long as you can keep it a secret from Sugar."

Candy: "Long as it isn't hiding some drinks in here or something, I think I can manage."

Roxie: "I'd worry about Marsh then if that were the case. Anyway, I'm going into hiding for a couple of days at the church.

Candy: "Why there? You do remember people tried to burn it down before it opened right?"

Roxie: "It's still standing, isn't it? Regardless, I'm running from Slick, not the whole town. I think I should be safe there for a couple of days. At least until your sister can patch things up with Slick."

Candy: "You'd really trust her to do anything?"


Roxie: "Yeah, it's her reputation at stake here too."
Candy: "Well, good luck with that. If you see a fox lady named Relina at the church, tell her-"

She pauses to let out a small yawn.
Candy: "Tell her I said hi."

Roxie: " Sounds like it's time for bed. I'll let her know though."

Candy: "It was bed time like four hours ago. Thanks though."

Roxie: "Goodnight."

I throw down a blanket on the floor and a pillow to lay down, and cover up with the other. I just pray that I don't wake up with a stiff neck and tough it out.
>>
No. 919931 ID: 15a025
File 154926123760.png - (5.56KB , 800x600 , 9.png )
919931

The next morning...
I decide to leave my scooter at home once I get to town and just walk to the church. I'd take it with, but if anyone saw it, it'd be a dead giveaway. As I get closer I see Blitz is outside.

Blitz: "Hey Roxie. What brings you out here this early in the morning?"

Roxie: "Ten A.M. is early?"

Blitz: "Well, early for you. Usually I don't see you till after dark. So what's up?"
>>
No. 919943 ID: 91ee5f

>>919931
>Well, early for you. Usually I don't see you till after dark.
Uhhh, looking at the sky, I’d say that it’s still considered after dark.

.....wait. Roxie, you sly dog. Why didn’t you tell us he’s your boyfriend? That’s why he’s surprised to see you, isn’t it? Today is date night and you’re early!

>So what's up?
But seriously, let’s go inside to talk. You never know who could be listening. And someone might walk by and see you, which would defeat the whole purpose of coming here to hide.

Once inside, you should thank him for giving us to you, since you might’ve been in trouble without us and the light magic, since you were attacked by cultists.

Then you better explain your situation to him.

And ask if you could also get some light magic training while you’re here. Either for better attacks or perhaps learn how to heal people and/or remove curses from people.
>>
No. 919944 ID: b1b4f3

>>919931
Tell her you gotta claim sanctuary since the cult is after you now.
>>
No. 920189 ID: a9af05

>>919931
Explain your situation to him.

>>919943
>Go inside before someone sees you!
Also this.
>>
No. 920456 ID: 15a025
File 154968800086.png - (5.54KB , 800x600 , 10.png )
920456

>Uhhh, looking at the sky, I’d say that it’s still considered after dark.
Roxie: "Don't know about you, but I'd still call this after dark."

Blitz: "I guess you're right, it usually is pretty dark out all day."

>But seriously, let’s go inside to talk. You never know who could be listening.
Roxie: "Anyway, is there somewhere inside we can talk?"

Blitz: "That depends. What did you need to talk about?"

Roxie: "Let's just say it's about some things that happened last night."

Blitz: "How about we take this to my room at the monastery then?"

Roxie: "You have a room there?"

Blitz: "Most of the members of the church do. Well, at least the ones who had to move out here to help build the church."
>>
No. 920457 ID: 15a025
File 154968811993.png - (5.34KB , 800x600 , 11.png )
920457

He takes me over to another building behind the church, and then up into a small bedroom. It's kind of small, with only two beds and desk furnishing it. Still, it feels a little welcoming and cozy.

Blitz: "So, what happened last night?"

>thank him for giving us to you, since you might’ve been in trouble without us and the light magic, since you were attacked by cultists.
Roxie: "First I want to thank you for the necklace. I would have been in a lot more trouble, or worse, without it."

He gives me a puzzled look.
>Then you better explain your situation to him.
I give him a better run down of what happened at the warehouse. I focus more on my encounters with the cult, leaving out Snowshoe's death and why I was there to begin with.

>you gotta claim sanctuary since the cult is after you now.
Roxie: "With the cult probably after me now, I was wondering if I could claim sanctuary? Or...just hide here for a few days?"

Blitz: "That's not exactly up to me. I can put in a good word for you though."

Roxie: "Thanks. So, who do I talk to then?"

Blitz: "You'll have to ask our Lantern."

Roxie: "You want me to talk a lantern? Is it enchanted with spirits or something?"

Blitz: "I- oh right. The Lantern is the person who watches over the church and kind of runs the place. I think she might be free for a little bit yet. How about we head into the church and find out?"
>>
No. 920458 ID: 15a025
File 154968834998.png - (5.61KB , 800x600 , 12.png )
920458

I follow Blitz back out into the cold and into the church. It's a little bigger inside than I thought it'd be. Though, it might feel like that since this place is kind of empty. There's only a few benches and some candles lighting the room.
Blitz: "Lantern Lumein. I bring with me someone seeking sanctuary!"

A dove quickly flies over to us from behind the podium. She looks over to me.
Lumein: "We would be delighted to have you stay with us."

Roxie: "Tha-"

Lumein: "On one condition. We need some extra help around here."

That sounds vague enough that there's going to be a catch to that.

Roxie: "What kind of help?"

Lumein: "We're shorthanded on capable protectors of light. I can feel the warmth of your light enchantment and get the feeling you might be of help."

I see Blitz giving me a worried look now.

Roxie: "That doesn't really answer my question. What does a 'protector of light' do?"

Lumein: "They help keep this town safe from those who spread curses and banish chimeras back whence they came. Should you accept, the church will provide the equipment, housing, training, and protection you need."

That's almost perfect. Almost. I'd get the training and protection I want, but I'd have to go out and fight the cult and the chimeras for them. Plus if I'm out running around, Slick or someone working for him might see me.

Roxie: "There isn't any other work the church would need help with?"

She replies, sounding a little disappointed.
Lumein: "While they're not run by the church, the soup kitchens need volunteers. We could also use someone to put up flyers or pass out pamphlets in town as well."

Roxie: "Nothing here at the church itself?"

Lumein: "Scrubbing the floors?"
She lets out a sigh.

Lumein: "If you're not up for any of that, p...perhaps a generous donation to the church?"

Just for the heck of it I quickly check my pockets. Right now I've got a pocket full of throwing knives, my scarf, the enchanted necklace, two hundred fifty dollars, and my own pocket knife. Something doesn't really feel right about having to pay for the church's protection though. Even if it is a "donation".

I'm not really sure what I should do, or if I should ask Lumein some more questions?
>>
No. 920460 ID: b1b4f3

>>920458
Did you just want to hide here forever and not do anything with your life? Fight the cult! Fight the good fight! We'll help keep you safe in battle.
>>
No. 920466 ID: 91ee5f

>>920457
Oh, my! He let you into his room! How scandalous! ~ <3

>>920458
>Fight cult, soup kitchen, pass out flyers and pamphlets, scrub floors, or generous donation?
Honestly, I think you should fight the cult. And you heard what Lumein said, all of the things that you came here for will be provided! And I’m pretty sure the protection they offer extends to more than just against the cultists, they’ll probably also protect you from Slick and any of his goons here in town! Plus, if you’re going to fight cultists, you’ll need the training and equipment to protect yourself!

Actually, ask if you can get some training for light magic. No offense or anything, but both of us have been kinda stumbling through how to use it.

Oh, and you might have to tell her your story. Just so she knows that you’ve had some experience fighting the cult, even though it was more like a lucky sneak attack.
>>
No. 920567 ID: 15a025
File 154977887145.png - (5.62KB , 800x600 , 13.png )
920567

>Fight the cult! Fight the good fight! We'll help keep you safe in battle.
>Honestly, I think you should fight the cult. And you heard what Lumein said, all of the things that you came here for will be provided!
>they’ll probably also protect you from Slick and any of his goons here in town!

Roxie: "I guess I'll volunteer to be a protector of light during my stay then. On one condition though."

>ask if you can get some training for light magic.
Lumein: "And...what would that be?"

Roxie: "I want to specifically get training with light magic."

Lumein: "That's exactly what you'll be fighting with. Chimeras are incredibly weak to light magic, as well as curse spreaders."

Roxie: "What about healing and removing curses? Will that be covered as well?"

Lumein: "We... we can only really offer those enchantments and lessons to those who plan on staying with us at the church. It takes a lot of time and money to provide someone with the enchantments and lessons to use them."

Roxie: "That's a little understandable."

Lumein: "Blitz, how about you take her over to Sister Relina? I feel she'd be great mentor for Roxie."

Blitz: "Are you sure? Sister Relina's kind of-"

She turns around towards him, sounding a little stern now.

Lumein: "Different, yes. That doesn't change my decision. Now off with you two, I need to finish some things before we start our afternoon service."
>>
No. 920568 ID: 15a025
File 154977889557.png - (4.58KB , 800x600 , 14.png )
920568

Blitz takes me back outside, and into the other building again. After heading up the stairs we stop at a different room.

Blitz: "Sister Relina? Are you in?"

Relina: "Yes? Come in."
>>
No. 920569 ID: 15a025
File 154977894292.png - (5.74KB , 800x600 , 15.png )
920569

I'm not sure why I'm surprised, but her room is very identical to Blitz's.
Relina: "Ah, Blitz. Who's your friend here?"

Blitz: "This is my friend Roxie. She's uh, volunteering to be a Protector of Light for a few days. Lantern Lumein has assigned you as her mentor during her stay."

Relina: "Ooo! Please pass my thanks to the Lantern then. I'll gladly accept the task!"

She seems cheery.

Blitz: "Right. I'll let you two get acquainted then."
>>
No. 920570 ID: 15a025
File 154977901603.png - (5.18KB , 800x600 , 16.png )
920570

She gives me an interesting look. I can't tell if something's bothering her or if she's getting ready to interrogate me?
Relina: "Strange, I can sense spirits by you. Yet, you don't seem to have an enchantment stone?"

Roxie: "Huh? Oh, it's right here under my scarf."

I pull it out for her.
Roxie: "You can feel them?"

Relina: "Not only that, but I'm able to connect to spirits and communicate with them too!"

That sounds a little convenient. I wonder if the dove could sense them too?

Roxie: "How common is that here in the church? Are there others who can do that?"

Relina: "Not many. It's a pretty rare and useful enchantment. Though, many see it as disturbing the spirits, so it's kind of frowned upon."

Guess that might explain Blitz's feelings about her being my mentor. Wait, wouldn't me using spirits be wrong then?

Relina: "Would you mind if I connected with you and your spirits?"
>>
No. 920571 ID: b1b4f3

>>920570
Sure.
>>
No. 920572 ID: 91ee5f

>>920570
>fox lady named Relina
Don’t forget to pass along Candy’s message! Tell her that Candy said, “Hi!”.

>”Would you mind if I connected with you and your spirits?"
Yeah, go ahead and let her.

Wait, if she connects with us, would that mean that we get to talk to two cute ladies? This whole "disembodied spirit" gig is getting better and better!
>>
No. 920646 ID: a9af05

>>920570
Yeah, let her connect with us.
>>
No. 920880 ID: 15a025
File 155001916864.png - (5.18KB , 800x600 , 17.png )
920880

>Sure.
>Yeah, go ahead and let her.
>Yeah, let her connect with us.
Roxie: "Sure, go for it."

She starts whispering into something for a few moments.
Relina: "Spirits, can you hear me?"

I nearly jump as I hear her in my head.
Roxie: "How are you-"

Roxie: "Why can I hear her...thoughts?"

Relina: "Connecting to your spirits also means connecting to you. It's kind of handy in case we ever need to communicate telepathically."

>we get to talk to two cute ladies? This whole "disembodied spirit" gig is getting better and better!
Relina: "Hehe, you sound just like another group of spirits a connected to a few days ago."

>Tell her that Candy said, “Hi!”.
"Relina: "Oh? You know Candy?"

Roxie: "Yeah. I'm kind of curious, how do you know Candy? She doesn't really strike me someone who'd go to church."

Relina: "I met her a few days ago at the candy store she works at. We ended up having to save a girl being held hostage by the cult."

Roxie: "So you're the one who helped out with that? Thanks. Tulip's a good friend of mine."

Relina: "It was no problem. I just hope Candy's leg is doing better. I didn't see her come in on Sunday. Hopefully it's her leg still healing and not her forgetting."

Roxie: "I'm not sure. She didn't really say when I saw her last night."

[i]Relina: "Oh..."
>>
No. 920881 ID: 15a025
File 155001926384.png - (5.21KB , 800x600 , 18.png )
920881

She starts whispering into something again.
Relina: "Alright, I've disconnected for now. So, do you have any enchantments to help you fight Roxie?"
Roxie: "Just this."

I focus and try to bring out the beat stick again. This time managing to do it with my eyes open.
Relina: "Oh that's pretty creative!"

Roxie: "I'm not sure how this is 'creative'? it's just a sharp stick?"

Relina: "Wait. First, do you know what kind of enchantment that's supposed to be?"

Roxie: "No? All I was told was it'd help me defend myself if I needed to."

Relina: "What you've got there is a holy axe. It's one of the stronger close quarter light enchantments the church used to use. Here I thought you were being clever and shrunk the head of the ax to make it into a lighter spear."

Roxie: "Your telling me this thing is supposed to be an ax?"

Relina: "Yup! You might want to stick to your spear trick instead. There's a reason not to many use the ax. It gets pretty heavy."

Roxie: "So, I can change the size and shape of it? Just how much can I change it?"

Relina: "It can vary between enchantments, but here's a good rule of thought for beginners. 'As long as it has the parts and function of the enchantment, it's probably possible.' So for your axe, as long as it has the base and some kind of head, you're probably good. You can also partially summon it too. Pretty handy with light enchantments in case you need a quick flashlight."

Roxie: "Why wouldn't you summon the whole weapon?"

Relina: "Takes more time and it's less mental strain. There's also less to haul around that way too."
She pauses for a moment.

Relina: "You look a little lost in all of this. How about we go outside and have a light sparring match? It might help me get a better understanding of your skills. Then maybe I can help show you some tricks in practice?"

Roxie: "Now that's more my style."
>>
No. 920882 ID: 15a025
File 155001929446.png - (5.33KB , 800x600 , 19.png )
920882

I didn't think by outside, she would have meant out in the snow.

Relina: "Alright Roxie, show me what you can do! Don't worry about holding back either. Light magic isn't very effective against those who aren't cursed!"

Roxie: "I..alright?"

I've got a few ways I start this. She mentioned my enchantment is supposed to be an axe, so I could try making my beat stick into that. On the other hand, I could go with what I've been using so far and get better with it. There's also trying to make it into something else if you have other ideas?
>>
No. 920887 ID: a9af05

>>920880
Another group of spirits? We're not the only group of spirits?

>>920882
>What do?
Well, I don't have an idea for offense, but what she said about the axe gave me an idea for defense!

When you make your weapon, just shorten the part you're holding to the point that it's big enough for you to hold in two hands. Then widen the front part in a big circle in front of you. That'll make a shield! Or possibly an umbrella looking thing, which you can still use to block attacks!
>>
No. 920892 ID: b1b4f3

>>920882
I wonder if you can change the shape of it mid-swing? Like, go for something light at first but make it heavier as you swing it or right as you connect. I bet that's very taxing though.

Make an axe just to see what components you have to work with. Maybe you can split up the blade of the axe into parts that then stack on top of eachother to make a long-reach polearm?
>>
No. 920894 ID: 2202fb

>>920882
Make a katana or rapier; some kind of light, curved sword(grip is the base and the blade is the head).
>>
No. 920944 ID: 91ee5f

>>920881
>"Wait. First, do you know what kind of enchantment that's supposed to be?"
>"No? All I was told was it'd help me defend myself if I needed to."
All you’ve gotta do is blame Blitz. It was reckless of him to not tell you what enchantments your necklace has.

>>920882
>I didn't think by outside, she would have meant out in the snow.
I don’t think they have some special training area, so you’re just gonna have to deal with it.

Also, exercise gets your blood pumping, which will help warm you up!

>What do?
I guess because of the limitations that Relina mentioned, you can’t just form the light around your hand to let you sucker punch someone really hard.

So let’s just do something basic, like a sword.

>>920887
>shield
That could also work.
>>
No. 921811 ID: 15a025
File 155043332388.png - (5.37KB , 800x600 , 20.png )
921811

>I wonder if you can change the shape of it mid-swing? Like, go for something light at first but make it heavier as you swing it or right as you connect. I bet that's very taxing though.
That could be an interesting idea to test out. I'll have to keep it in mind.

>Make an axe just to see what components you have to work with. Maybe you can split up the blade of the axe into parts that then stack on top of each other to make a long-reach polearm?
Roxie: "Do you mind if I try a few ideas out before we start?"

Relina: "Sure!"

I use all my focus to try and shape the stick. I'm not too familiar with these older weapons, but I think I know what a polearm looks like? I can feel the stick getting more top heavy as I mess around with it. I open up my eyes to take a look at how it turned out.

Relina: "Now you're getting it. If you're going go with something like that, you might as well give yourself some better range."

Roxie: "Before now, that was a long as I could get it? How come I'm able to make it longer now?"

Relina: "It could be your bond with the enchantment stone is growing? More likely, the air around the church has a pool of light magic around it."

Roxie: "Like a barrier or something?"

Relina: "Not like a barrier. Whenever someone uses magic or an enchantment, that magic will disperse into the air. If there's enough of it floating around in an area, enchantments will use the extra magic and get stronger."

Roxie: "Does the extra magic stay with my enchantment stone then?"

Relina: "Nope! Most of it will go away with the spell. Only a small amount of it will go back into the air."

Guess that's something else I'm going to need to keep in mind.
>>
No. 921812 ID: 15a025
File 155043343201.png - (5.34KB , 800x600 , 21.png )
921812

>shorten the part you're holding to the point that it's big enough for you to hold in two hands. Then widen the front part in a big circle in front of you. That'll make a shield! Or possibly an umbrella looking thing, which you can still use to block attacks!
I try and mess around with the stick again. I make it short enough that I can still use both my paws to hold it. Then I start thinking about a shield a bit and...

Roxie: "Well, it's almost a shield?"

Two axe heads make up the shield part, but there's a small gap in between the middle of them. I'm not sure if it's big enough to worry about for now, or if anything would slip through it?

Relina: "I'd almost say you're a natural at this Roxie! It's always good to think of ways you can defend yourself with something as well!"
>>
No. 921813 ID: 15a025
File 155043349570.png - (5.45KB , 800x600 , 22.png )
921813

>Make a katana or rapier; some kind of light, curved sword
>So let’s just do something basic, like a sword.
I disperse the shield and try making a sword this time.
Relina: "That's...uh..nice sword?"

Roxie: "What? It's not that bad is it?"

Relina: "It's fine Roxie. Are you ready to start?"

Roxie: "Yeah, I think I'm just about ready."

Now that I've tried making some, which weapon (or shield) should I try out to spar against Relina with?
>>
No. 921824 ID: b1b4f3

>>921813
Looks a little too curved if you ask me.
Try using the polearm.
>>
No. 921827 ID: 91ee5f

>>921811
Let’s stick with the polearm.

And remember, Relina said light magic isn’t very effective against people that aren't cursed, so don’t hold back against her!
>>
No. 921884 ID: 2202fb

>>921813
Make a naginata-type thing. Basically a polearm with a shortsword as the blade.
>>
No. 922090 ID: 15a025
File 155052345985.png - (5.44KB , 800x600 , 23.png )
922090

>Try using the polearm.
>Let’s stick with the polearm.

I re-shape the stick into the polearm thing.

>And remember, Relina said light magic isn’t very effective against people that aren't cursed, so don’t hold back against her!

I charge forward and jab the polearm at her. She blocks me with just her arm?!

Relina: "See? Nothing to worry about."

That glow coming from her other paw says otherwise.
>>
No. 922166 ID: 91ee5f

>>922090
Incoming magic blast!

Dodge to your right, away from the hand that’s holding the spell!
>>
No. 922327 ID: a9af05

>>922166
I agree with this!
>>
No. 922783 ID: 15a025
File 155087608770.png - (5.35KB , 800x600 , 24.png )
922783

>Dodge to your right, away from the hand that’s holding the spell!
I move to the right and shift the polearm around with me to smack her in the head.
Relina: "Oh you got me! Nice dodge and use of your polearm there. Guess you get the point for this round."

Roxie: "Point? What for?"

Relina: "It's just something to make things a little more fun. Maybe motivate you a little too."

Roxie: "Ok?"

Relina: "Alright step back and get ready again."
>>
No. 922784 ID: 15a025
File 155087612366.png - (5.42KB , 800x600 , 25.png )
922784

I guess my sparring lesson just turned into a sparring game. I guess I can play along for now and step back.

Relina: "Now, not all of the cultists and chimeras are going to fight fair! Something that'll really help you is to know how to use the environment to your advantage."

Roxie: "All I see around here is just snow though? There isn't much to work wi-"
>>
No. 922785 ID: 15a025
File 155087614393.png - (6.43KB , 800x600 , 26.png )
922785

A loud, crunchy explosion cuts me off. A blanket of snow is falling down where Relina once stood. I can't really see much past it either?
>>
No. 922787 ID: a9af05

>>922785
I can still see her a little. She's charging up another magic blast right now!

What she's doing with the snow also blocks her from seeing you, so maybe you can use that against her?
>>
No. 922834 ID: 2202fb

dodge, then scoop up some snow with your blade and toss it at her face.
>>
No. 922964 ID: 91ee5f

>>922785
Jump to the side, then throw snow directly into her face!
>>
No. 923274 ID: 15a025
File 155110843560.png - (6.30KB , 800x600 , 27.png )
923274

>I can still see her a little. She's charging up another magic blast right now!
>What she's doing with the snow also blocks her from seeing you, so maybe you can use that against her?
>Jump to the side, then throw snow directly into her face!
>coop up some snow with your blade and toss it at her face.

Can't hit what you can't see! She's going to have hard time aiming with all that snow in her face.

I wait just a moment before hopping over to the side. Then I use my polearm as a shovel and fling a nice pile of snow at her!

Relina: "Oh that's cold!"
>>
No. 923275 ID: 15a025
File 155110845380.png - (6.07KB , 800x600 , 28.png )
923275

While she's distracted, I go in for the poke!

Relina: "Dang, I guess that's two to nothing now. You're pretty good for just starting Roxie."
>>
No. 923276 ID: 15a025
File 155110847482.png - (5.88KB , 800x600 , 29.png )
923276

She starts heading back towards the monastery, or whatever they called it.

Roxie: "Calling it quits?"

Relina: "No, I'll be back real quick!"
>>
No. 923277 ID: 15a025
File 155110858105.png - (5.31KB , 800x600 , 30.png )
923277

She's gone a quite a bit of time. When she does come back though, she summons out a polearm of her own.

Relina: "Think you can make it three to nothing?"
>>
No. 923286 ID: b1b4f3

This will be more difficult, she probably knows how to swing that thing. Time to learn how to properly attack and parry.
>>
No. 923400 ID: 91ee5f

>>923277
Now it’s time to get serious!

.....but like Relina said, if you’re going to fight cultists, don’t expect them to fight fairly. And if the cultists aren’t going to fight fairly, then why should you? In other words, try throwing snow in Relina‘s face again!

Just be prepared for her to see it coming this time.
>>
No. 923668 ID: 15a025
File 155133166350.png - (5.51KB , 800x600 , 31.png )
923668

>This will be more difficult, she probably knows how to swing that thing.
>Now it’s time to get serious!
I bring out my polearm again.

Roxie: "You bet I can!"

She starts giggling a bit.

Relina: "Not if you don't know how to hold it right? Here, you're supposed to hold these like this."

She re-adjusts her grip and position on her own polearm.

Roxie: "How's that the right way? Aren't you supposed to stab with these?"

Relina: "If you hold it the way you are, you're leaving yourself open to get hit or stabbed yourself. Holding it like this makes it a lot easier to defend, block, and parry your foe's attacks."

Roxie: "Darn, and here I thought I was doing good."

Relina: "You were, but now you can do even better!"

I change my grip to match how she's holding it.
Relina: "Alright Roxie, come at me when you're ready!"

>like Relina said, if you’re going to fight cultists, don’t expect them to fight fairly. And if the cultists aren’t going to fight fairly, then why should you? In other words, try throwing snow in Relina‘s face again! Just be prepared for her to see it coming this time.

I'm not so sure. I feel like the same trick isn't going to work on her twice. Probably helped that she couldn't see me that well the first time I did it either.
>>
No. 923669 ID: 15a025
File 155133169693.gif - (44.94KB , 800x600 , 32.gif )
923669

>Time to learn how to properly attack and parry.

I rush towards her and start swinging, but she manages to keep blocking my hits!
>>
No. 923736 ID: 21bd50

>>923669
Equip a warframe stance
>>
No. 923746 ID: 91ee5f

>>923669
When she blocks, slide your polearm down the length of her polearm to hit her hands!
>>
No. 923748 ID: a9af05

>>923669
Try aiming at hitting her hands when she blocks!

>>923746
This also works.
>>
No. 923751 ID: b1b4f3

The way to avoid getting your hands hit like that is to hold your parry at an angle so the attacking weapon slides off away from your hands.
An effective tactic in melee combat is to control the movement of the opponent's weapon, and an angled parry is one way to do that.
>>
No. 924278 ID: 15a025
File 155166820208.png - (5.48KB , 800x600 , 33.png )
924278

>The way to avoid getting your hands hit like that is to hold your parry at an angle so the attacking weapon slides off away from your hands.

>An effective tactic in melee combat is to control the movement of the opponent's weapon, and an angled parry is one way to do that.
I'll have to keep that mind.


>When she blocks, slide your polearm down the length of her polearm to hit her hands!
Right now though, it doesn't seem like she's keeping her paws away from me doing this.

After she blocks my next swing I slide the blade down her pole and manage to get her!

Relina: "Guess I got a little carried away with blocking your swings that I didn't think to watch out for that."
>>
No. 924279 ID: 15a025
File 155166822771.png - (5.33KB , 800x600 , 34.png )
924279

A few loud chime rings through the air

Roxie: "Is that a church bell or something?"

Relina: "No, that's not the normal chime. Something must be going inside."

She starts heading for the church.

Relina: "Come on, they might need us."
>>
No. 924280 ID: 15a025
File 155166830555.png - (5.59KB , 800x600 , 35.png )
924280

Inside that dove flutters over towards Relina.

Relina: "What's the matter Lantern Lumein?"

Lumein: "We've got another service call in. I apologize for asking, but you're the only one here I can send."

Relina: "Oh no... what about teaching Roxie?"

Lumein: "As a volunteer Protector of Light, she can come with you and gain a little field experience. It'd be a great lesson!"

Roxie: "What's the service call for?"

Lumein: "There's a bar towards the south end of the town. The owner called in saying they need some 'pest extermination' and left it at that."

Relina: "Not a bar... So I need to take on a chimera?"

Lumein: "That's what it sounds like. I'd be prepared for the cult as well though. While a sinful place like a bar could attract chimeras, you need to remember the cult is also capable of summoning them as well."

Relina: "Well, think you're up to the task Roxie? I should be able to handle this myself, but I wouldn't mind some extra help in case things get a little tricky."

Lumein: "If you're not feeling confident in your skills yet, I can call for Blitz to help you keep training while Relina's away for a bit."

If Roxie is going to go with Relina, please also decide if Relina should bring her polearm enchantment, or her light projectile enchantment.
>>
No. 924287 ID: b1b4f3

Seems wise to mix up the enchantments. Relina should bring her projectile.
>>
No. 924292 ID: 91ee5f

>>924280
>"There's a bar towards the south end of the town. The owner called in saying they need some 'pest extermination' and left it at that."
Well that’s not very helpful at all!

>Go with Relina or stay at church?
I’d say go with Relina.

But if you’re going, then you should also dress up appropriately. Get some robes or whatever kind of protection you’ll need. And since you’re supposed to be hiding from Slick, you might want to get something to cover your face, just in case he or one of his goons are at the bar.

Also, no buying any drinks when you get there!

>Relina’s enchantment?
Have Relina get her projectile enchantment. It’d be best if we have some variety to our arsenal.
>>
No. 924382 ID: a9af05

>>924292
I agree with this.
>>
No. 924798 ID: 15a025
File 155190603975.png - (5.62KB , 800x600 , 36.png )
924798

>I’d say go with Relina.
Roxie: "I can tag along."

>Well that’s not very helpful at all!
Roxie: "Those directions are pretty vague though. Do you know how many bars there are around there?"

Lumein: "Too many... I've got the address here for you two though."

She flutters off somewhere and comes back with a card for Relina.
Relina: "Oh that's a lot more helpful."

Roxie: "It'd still be nice to know what exactly we were 'exterminating', but I guess we'll just have to find out when we get there."

>you should also dress up appropriately.

It's a bar? Do I really need to dress up for that? Wait, are you trying to say I'm not decent enough to go into a bar?

>Get some robes or whatever kind of protection you’ll need. And since you’re supposed to be hiding from Slick, you might want to get something to cover your face, just in case he or one of his goons are at the bar.

Oh, right.

Roxie: "Should I have one of those robes on for this?"

Lumein: "Yes, you are representing the church after all. Our robes also offer some protection against curses, so it'll help keep you safe as well."

Roxie: "And do you have some I could cover my face with? Like a mask or something?"

Lumein: "This a church, not a cult Roxie. We don't hide ourselves behind masks-"

She just starts going on for a bit about what horrible things a mask might symbolize in life.

Roxie: "Don't we have a chimera to go exterminate or something?"

Lumein: "Yes. Relina, go help Roxie find a robe that'll fit her and head out at once!"
>>
No. 924799 ID: 15a025
File 155190613022.png - (5.14KB , 800x600 , 37.png )
924799

She takes me back over to her room and we try on robes till we find one that almost fits.

Relina: "Darn, I think that's the biggest one we have too?"

Roxie: "It'll be fine. I can cover up my face a bit with the big hood, and having it come down short isn't going to be a tripping hazard in case we need to run."

Relina: "Well, I think it still looks nice on you Roxie."


>Have Relina get her projectile enchantment. It’d be best if we have some variety to our arsenal.
>Seems wise to mix up the enchantments. Relina should bring her projectile.
Roxie: "Hey, before we go. I think you should bring your projectile enchantment with. I've already got a polearm, so having a variety between us makes us better prepared."

Relina: "Good thinking Roxie! It's best to be prepared for any situation."
>>
No. 924800 ID: 15a025
File 155190617099.png - (7.31KB , 800x600 , 38.png )
924800

After gathering all of our stuff we head for the bar. As we walk in, a porcupine and a raccoon are both staring each other down with knives in hand.

Raccoon: "Last chance pin cushion, fork over my cash."

Porcupine: "You cheating shit! I ain't giving you anything!"
>>
No. 924809 ID: b1b4f3

>>924800
This is a job for the bouncer. Not your problem. Talk to the bartender about the extermination order.
>>
No. 924870 ID: 91ee5f

>>924800
Let the bouncer worry about them. Head for the bar and talk to the bartender about what you need to exterminate.
>>
No. 924901 ID: 15a025
File 155193758075.png - (7.36KB , 800x600 , 39.png )
924901

>Let the bouncer worry about them.
>Talk to the bartender about the extermination order.

It doesn't look like there's a bouncer around? Then again, it could be like my boss's bar where her bartender breaks up the fights. Anyway you're right. Not our problem.
Relina: "Shouldn't we stop them?"

Roxie: "Ignore them. Let's just see see if the bartender can't point us in the right direction."

Relina: "O...okay?"
>>
No. 924902 ID: 15a025
File 155193760121.gif - (51.36KB , 800x600 , 40.gif )
924902

I shove my way past the two drunks and make up to the bar. No-one's up here though? I knock on the counter top.

Roxie: "Hello? Bartender!"
>>
No. 924903 ID: 15a025
File 155193768887.png - (5.70KB , 800x600 , 41.png )
924903

A head rises up from behind the counter.
Bartender: "I thought you were never going to get here! You are the uh...'exterminators' right?"

Roxie: "Yeah? "Where's the problem?-"

I hear someone smash some glass behind us.

Roxie: "Besides the angry drunks over there trashing the place."

Bartender: "See that wolverine sitting by the skunk? That's the guy."

Some banging comes from the floor boards.

Bartender: "And the monster is down the cellar. Think you take care of them quick before the others come in?"
>>
No. 924904 ID: b1b4f3

>>924903
Ah, alright I have a plan. Go over and start breaking up the drunks, using light magic to do so. At some point suddenly hit the wolverine with light magic. You'll catch him by surprise and if he's a cultist he'll just poof. If he's not too corrupted he'll just take some damage which is fine too.

Then you go take out the chimera.
>>
No. 924905 ID: 91ee5f

>>924903
Question how he knows it’s the wolverine? Did he see that guy bring in the monster or something?

>>924904
Good plan.

Would it be easier if one of them snuck up behind the wolverine, while the other distracts with breaking up the fight? Because if that would work, then let’s have Roxie break up the fight, while Relina gets behind the wolverine.
>>
No. 924951 ID: a9af05

>>924904
>>924905
Yeah, I agree with these.
>>
No. 924989 ID: 15a025
File 155199114049.png - (5.78KB , 800x600 , 42.png )
924989

>Question how he knows it’s the wolverine? Did he see that guy bring in the monster or something?
Roxie: "How do you know it's him?"

Bartender: "Him and them other purple shits hauled in that monster in a few days ago. Said as long as I pay them every day for 'protection' they won't let it trash the place. Figured at this point it'd just be cheaper to get you's two in here to take care of it."

Relina: "Oh don't worry about that! We only take donations!"

Bartender: "Hah, nice. Maybe I can offer you some drinks for communion or something then."
Relina: "Ehmm.... let's maybe talk about that later."

>Go over and start breaking up the drunks, using light magic to do so.
>Would it be easier if one of them snuck up behind the wolverine, while the other distracts with breaking up the fight? Because if that would work, then let’s have Roxie break up the fight, while Relina gets behind the wolverine.
Hmm... I think having Relina sneak up on the guy is a good idea. Pulling out my light magic right away might alert though. If Relina could even just close to him, she could probably fire off a quick blast of light on him too. I'd just need to keep their eyes on me so he can't see her charging up the blast, and to find a way for her to get close or sneak up.

I could also use the chaos from the fight to my advantage too though. If I pull out my beat stick and it's a threat to him, he's either going to start running or jump into to stop me. If he starts running, Relina could probably blast him with her magic before he gets out the door. If jumps in to stop me, then I have a good chance to stab him and Relina care prepare a blast for backup.

We could also try another approach too if you've got some other ideas.
>>
No. 925277 ID: 08227f

Okay, first stealthily make your light pole a tiny dart and hide it in your pocket, then challenge the skunk and wolverine to a game of darts for cash. Throw a couple darts normally until the final round, then right when they think they're going to win, pull your dart out of your pocket and nail him right between the eyes.
>>
No. 925278 ID: 91ee5f

>>924989
I guess the best way to keep everyone’s eyes on you would be to get involved with the fight.

Then Relina can sneak around behind the wolverine.

You might need to get the bouncer to help you break up the fight. Ask the bartender where he is.

>>925277
I don’t think she can do that with her magic. Also, wasn’t the plan to have Relina sneak up on the wolverine?
>>
No. 925317 ID: 15a025
File 155226677666.png - (5.83KB , 800x600 , 43.png )
925317

>Okay, first stealthily make your light pole a tiny dart and hide it in your pocket, then challenge the skunk and wolverine to a game of darts for cash. Throw a couple darts normally until the final round, then right when they think they're going to win, pull your dart out of your pocket and nail him right between the eyes.
That's not a half bad idea. I can't really leave the enchantment in my pocket though, I think it'll vanish after not holding onto it for a bit.
>I guess the best way to keep everyone’s eyes on you would be to get involved with the fight.
>You might need to get the bouncer to help you break up the fight. Ask the bartender where he is.
I should probably break up this fight anyway. I'm sure the bartender will appreciate it.

Roxie: "Alright, I'm going to try and break up this fight and keep everyone's eyes on me. While I do that, you need to sneak up on the guy and blast him with your magic."

Relina: "Hm... that could be easy enough?"

Roxie: "You got a bouncer or someone I can have help me break this fight up?"

Bartender: "That'd normally be. I'm supposed to stay here behind the bar though."

Roxie: "Says who and why?"

Bartender: "Says the guy who can control the monster from hell. Punk knows I could beat his ass if I got my claws in him otherwise."

Relina: "Got any non-alcoholic drinks by chance?"

Bartender: "Got some lemon-lime soda and almost expired-"

Relina: "I'll have a soda. How about you-"

Wolverine: "You two just going to dance around like idiots and knock everything over, or are you going to finish this!"

Roxie: "Alright that's it!"
>>
No. 925318 ID: 15a025
File 155226682174.png - (7.70KB , 800x600 , 44.png )
925318

I walk over to settle this before it gets worse.

Roxie: "Break it up or take it out side you two."

Raccoon: "I got a better idea. Why don't you sit down and mind your own business like your friend over there? If not, I'm cutting you up too!"

I notice Relina's seated at the table with the skunk and wolverine.

Wolverine: "Yeah poker man! Do it!"
>>
No. 925320 ID: 15a025
File 155226690953.png - (7.70KB , 800x600 , 45.png )
925320

Before he can decide to follow through with that threat, I dig out one of the pocket knives and throw it in the floor by his foot.
Roxie: "Consider that your warning to get out. Both of you."

The raccoon shoots me a dirty look.
Raccoon: "You heard the lady. Let's settle this outside."

Porcupine: "Like hell we are! Beat it ya cheater!"

Raccoon:" I ain't leaving without my money!"

Wolverine: "Show her you ain't leaving then!"

Skunk: "Chill it man! I don't know about you, but I think the rest of us here would like to have a few cold ones and unwind a bit."

These two are just going to keep at it like a broken record aren't they?
>a game of darts for cash.
That actually gives me an idea.

Roxie: "Alright, you two want settle this fair then?"

Raccoon: "I'm listening."

Roxie: "Go finish it with a round of darts then. You use the darts the bar has here. Bartender refs it or whatever. You two decide the stakes and confirm them with the bartender. He holds both of whatever it is you're betting till the game's over. He gets the final say who wins or if someone's cheating."

Porcupine: "That's not fair at all! Neither of us are tall enough to reach the dart board!"

Bartender: "If it means I don't have to mop up your blood tonight I'll lower it however low you need the damn thing!"
>>
No. 925321 ID: 15a025
File 155226693939.png - (7.54KB , 800x600 , 46.png )
925321

They both agree and start walking towards-
>>
No. 925322 ID: 15a025
File 155226697963.png - (7.41KB , 800x600 , 47.png )
925322

Relina: "Be gone, foul sinner!"

Relina fires off a blast of magic, knocking the wolverine out of his seat and to the ground.
>>
No. 925323 ID: b1b4f3

>>925322
Alright polearm time, make sure he stays down.
>>
No. 925326 ID: 91ee5f

>>925322
Go make sure the wolverine stays down!
>>
No. 925333 ID: 15a025
File 155227028723.png - (6.03KB , 800x600 , 48.png )
925333

>Alright polearm time, make sure he stays down.
>Go make sure the wolverine stays down!

I rush up and impale him with my polearm. Nothing seems to really happen though?

Roxie: "Relina, shouldn't he have turned into a pile of ash or something by now?" Blood and guts everywhere?"

Relina: "He should have, otherwise he's not cursed? But then...

She starts mumbling to herself before she lets out a gasp.

Relina: "Roxie! You need to kill that chimera quickly!"
>>
No. 925339 ID: b1b4f3

Well shit. Time to rush into danger.
>>
No. 925345 ID: 91ee5f

>>925333
Alright, then let’s go slay a monster!
>>
No. 925346 ID: 91ee5f

>>925345
Also, if we’re gonna split up, have Relina do that thing where we can all speak telepathically with each other. Staying in touch with each other is important!
>>
No. 925375 ID: a9af05

>>925333
Let's go kill the monster!

>>925346
I agree. Communication is important!
>>
No. 925486 ID: 15a025
File 155240946102.png - (6.08KB , 800x600 , 49.png )
925486

>Well shit. Time to rush into danger.
>Alright, then let’s go slay a monster!
>Let's go kill the monster!
Alright, guess I'm going to kill this thing myself then?

>have Relina do that thing where we can all speak telepathically with each other. Staying in touch with each other is important!
Roxie: "Relina, before I go down there to fight that thing. Can you link up to enchantment?"

Relina: "Yes, but hurry!"

She does her little ritual or whatever and-

Relina: "Hey now! Rituals are for witches."

That was quick?

Relina: "Quicker than you!"

Alright, I'm going!
>>
No. 925487 ID: 15a025
File 155240948552.png - (5.01KB , 800x600 , 50.png )
925487

I make my way over to the bartender.

Roxie: "Where's the door to the cellar?"

Bartender: "Behind here!"
>>
No. 925488 ID: 15a025
File 155240958023.png - (5.90KB , 800x600 , 51.png )
925488

He lifts open a panel in the floor behind the bar and I head down. Once my head's not in the way he slams it shut. I continue my way down as a foul, rotting scent hits me.

Remind me to tell the bartender to get down here and clean this dump. It smells like something died in here weeks ago!"

Relina: "That's probably the chimera. Just try and tough it out and-"

???: "Who saying smell bad!"

Relina I hope that's some joke your pulling Relina!

Relina: "Roxie hurry up and kill it! It's-"

???: "Other voice not welcome!"

A high pitch sound starts going through my head, giving me a headache.

Relina? What's going on here?!

???: "Other voice gone. Now can do business."

Roxie: "The only business I'm here to do is finish you off!"

???: "Dog lady ruined pact with old master. Supposed to make pact with dog lady now. No want dog lady as master. Want soul and freedom instead."

Relina: Roxie! Don't make a pact! Just kill it before it tries to with someone else, or worse!"

[i]???: "Thought got rid of voice! But, others around?"
>>
No. 925497 ID: b1b4f3

>>925488
Oh god this is the chimera from the warehouse you escaped.
Alright let's at least do a little research. What is a pact? Also I'm not sure why you put away your weapon, now you can't see. At least turn the cellar's lights on.
>>
No. 925498 ID: 91ee5f

>>925488
I can just barely see it, but it’s a few feet directly in front of you!

Pull out your polearm to light up the place and so you can be ready to protect yourself when it tries to attack!

>Roxie! Don't make a pact! Just kill it before it tries to with someone else, or worse!
I strongly agree with Relina, don’t make a pact with it!
>>
No. 925532 ID: 2202fb

>>925488
We can reason with it. They may not be evil. Lets talk for now. Only kill it if it turns out to be bad.
>>
No. 925622 ID: a9af05

>>925488
Roxie, I know this is your first time doing church stuff, but if someone from the church tells you to kill something, then it's for a good reason!

You should kill this thing before it tries to sweet-talk you into doing something you'll end up regretting!
>>
No. 925636 ID: 15a025
File 155250928801.png - (6.00KB , 800x600 , 52.png )
925636

>They may not be evil. Let's talk for now. Only kill it if it turns out to be bad.
>Alright let's at least do a little research. What is a pact?
???: "More voices? Like these."

[i]Roxie: "Alright, what's a pact?"


Relina: "Roxie no!"

???: "Pact let me into soul. Gives dog lady chimera power and better language. No want Dog lady as master. Dog lady soul bad for chimera."

>You should kill this thing before it tries to sweet-talk you into doing something you'll end up regretting.
Where is it though? I can barely-

>I can just barely see it, but it’s a few feet directly in front of you!
>I'm not sure why you put away your weapon, now you can't see. At least turn the cellar's lights on.
>Pull out your polearm to light up the place and so you can be ready to protect yourself when it tries to attack!
>>
No. 925637 ID: 15a025
File 155250937486.png - (6.70KB , 800x600 , 53.png )
925637

I bring out the polearm again to light the place up.
The chimera lets out a loud squeal as the light fills the room. Now that I can see, I can see the big ball of magic or something it's charging up!

>Oh god this is the chimera from the warehouse you escaped.
This thing is way bigger than that runt from the other night! There's no way it could have grown this much? Could it?

Relina: "Roxie! Focus on what's in front of you now!"
>>
No. 925639 ID: 15a025
File 155250946857.png - (5.85KB , 800x600 , 54.png )
925639

???: "Too-"

Roxie: "Slow!

I lunge in and stab the polearm through the chimera before it can fire off its attack.
>>
No. 925645 ID: a9af05

>>925639
Make sure it's dead. Sometimes it takes more than one light magic attack to take these things down.

Now, Roxie, as you can see from how it was charging up an attack while you were distracted by talking with it, you should be more careful in the future. So when someone from the church tells you to kill the monster in the room, you don't try to talk to it, you kill the monster in the room!

Because next time, you might run into a chimera that can charge up an attack faster than this one did and you'll be in trouble!

Once you're sure the chimera is dead, head back upstairs and help Relina.
>>
No. 925709 ID: b1b4f3

Excessive force is probably not out of line here.
>>
No. 925801 ID: 15a025
File 155262331130.png - (6.32KB , 800x600 , 55.png )
925801

>Make sure it's dead. Sometimes it takes more than one light magic attack to take these things down.
>Excessive force is probably not out of line here.
As I pull out the polearm, the chimera turns into a pool of purple blood and ash. I take it these guys are only dead once they evaporate or whatever?

Relina: "Hang on, I'm coming down to help clean that up!"
>>
No. 925802 ID: 15a025
File 155262342688.gif - (74.51KB , 800x600 , 56.gif )
925802

Relina joins me in the cellar, this time holding a glass bottle.

Roxie: "What's the bottle for?"

Relina: "We need scoop as much of the chimeras remains as we can into it."
Roxie: "Why?"

Relina: "Mostly so we can send it out to the castle and collect funds for our church."

Roxie: "What!"

Relina: "I can hear your thoughts, you don't need to yell. You didn't know though? The church, along with any other group that's legally allowed to carry light enchantments gets paid by the royal family for proof of chimera extermination. It's kind of why we don't need to charge people for our service."

I'll keep my thoughts on that to myself for now.

I go over and start helping her scoop up the chimera ash into the jar

>Roxie, as you can see from how it was charging up an attack while you were distracted by talking with it, you should be more careful in the future.
>next time, you might run into a chimera that can charge up an attack faster than this one did and you'll be in trouble!

Relina: "Your guides are right Roxie. You really shouldn't take chimeras lightly like that. They're very sinful creatures that'll try anything to get your guard down."

Roxie: "Alright, I got it. Let's just finish getting this cleaned up and head out already."
>>
No. 925803 ID: 15a025
File 155262357585.png - (5.83KB , 800x600 , 57.png )
925803

After we finish collecting the chimera's ashes, we head back up to the bar. It looks like everyone but the wolverine left while we were down there?

Roxie: "Where'd everyone go?"

Bartender: "I don't know about you, but if I was in a bar and some monster from hell was about to break out of the cellar, I sure wouldn't stick around."

Relina: "Well it's all taken care of now!"

Bartender: "Good! Oh, before you head out though. I've got some business with your pal Roxie here."
Roxie: "How did you-"

He makes a poor imitation of Relina's voice.
Bartender: "Roxie! You need to go kill that chimera! You would've fooled me otherwise. Can barely see your face with that big hood on. Never thought you were the religious type."

Relina: "I don't sound like that, do I?"

Roxie: "Sorry, I think you've got mixed up with someone else. Come on, we should get going."

Bartender: "Ah ease up Roxie. I'm not going to turn around on the kind church ladies who helped pretty much saved the bar? Come on, we can talk it over some drinks on the house if you'd like? Can even be non-alcoholic if you'd like."
>>
No. 925828 ID: 91ee5f

>>925803
>It looks like everyone but the wolverine left while we were down there?
Wait, why is he still here? Shouldn’t he have made an attempt to run away when Relina left him alone to come down to the basement?

>He makes a poor imitation of Relina's voice.
>"Roxie! You need to go kill that chimera!”
To be fair, we didn’t tell Relina that she shouldn’t call you by your name.

And we kinda forgot to tell Relina that you came to the church to hide for a few days. Sorry about that, Relina. We’ll explain later.

>You would've fooled me otherwise. Can barely see your face with that big hood on.
But at least we now know that your disguise works!

>"I don't sound like that, do I?"
No, Relina, you don’t sound like that. He just made a poor attempt at imitating your voice.

>"Ah ease up Roxie. I'm not going to turn around on the kind church ladies who helped pretty much saved the bar? Come on, we can talk it over some drinks on the house if you'd like? Can even be non-alcoholic if you'd like."
He must know that a certain someone is looking for you. But, if he’s true to his word, he won’t rat you out. So you might as well take him up on his offer! Just make sure the drinks are non-alcoholic, gotta keep up the appearance of being a church lady!
>>
No. 925840 ID: 2202fb

Time to leave.
>>
No. 925858 ID: a9af05

>>925803
>Wolverine is still here
Odd that he didn't try to escape. Make sure he doesn't get away, so that we can turn him over to the police. Or whoever we're supposed to hand him over to.

>Drink?
Just 1 non-alcoholic drink.
>>
No. 925859 ID: b1b4f3

Better watch his hands as he prepares the drinks.
>>
No. 926031 ID: 15a025
File 155276109748.png - (5.77KB , 800x600 , 58.png )
926031

>why is he still here? Shouldn’t he have made an attempt to run away when Relina left him alone to come down to the basement?
Seems like he's still knocked out on the floor.

>we kinda forgot to tell Relina that you came to the church to hide for a few days. Sorry about that, Relina. We’ll explain later.
Relina: "Just what kind of trouble have you gotten into Roxie?"

Roxie: Like the spirits said, we'll explain later."

>if he’s true to his word, he won’t rat you out. So you might as well take him up on his offer! Just make sure the drinks are non-alcoholic, gotta keep up the appearance of being a church lady!
>Just 1 non-alcoholic drink.
>Better watch his hands as he prepares the drinks.
Well, I guess if he wanted to kill me or something, he could have easily locked us up in the cellar while we were down there. Unless it doesn't lock? I guess I can trust his word for now. As much as I could go for a nice cold one, it's probably better I stay sober in case he tries anything. There's a good chance he could be with Slick and the mafia.

Relina: "Did you just...mafia?! There's a mafia group in Icy Pines!"

Roxie: "Did you just move into town? There's more crime gangs and thugs around than I can count. The cult isn't the only group around causing trouble."

Relina: "Maybe... Why do you know about all this?"

Roxie: "Like I said, I'll talk to you about it later. Right now I need to see what this bartender guy wants from me."

>Make sure he doesn't get away, so that we can turn him over to the police. Or whoever we're supposed to hand him over to.

Relina: "I'll keep an eye on the wolverine then. See if you can't grab me an orange soda too."
>>
No. 926032 ID: 15a025
File 155276112996.png - (5.40KB , 800x600 , 59.png )
926032

Relina walks away to watch the wolverine.

Roxie: "I'll just have a glass water for now. My friend will have an orange soda if you've got any?"

Bartender: "Glass of water it is. Only soda we've got is the lemon-lime stuff."

Relina: "Eh...one glass of that was enough."

Roxie: "She'll pass then."

Bartender: "Alrighty. Just some holy water for the holy lady it is."
>>
No. 926033 ID: 15a025
File 155276125148.png - (4.36KB , 800x600 , 60.png )
926033

He pours up a tall glass of water for me, no ice though.

Bartender: "So, I hear someone went and got a nice bounty put on their head last night. Slick's offering a good five grand to see you in a body bag."

Relina just about screams, but ends up catching herself and just coughs it out.

Glad to know I'm only worth five thousand to him. He must not be that bent out of shape over it if that's all he's putting down.

Relina: "How can you just brush off five thousand dollars as pocket change like that!"

Roxie: "This is a mafia boss we're talking about Relina. Five grand is like a bad night or a slow day for the guy."

Roxie: "Tell him he can have my picture for half price then. Why are you telling me this anyway?"

Bartender: "Answer me this first. Did you really kill Snowshoes, or are my suspicions right?"

Roxie: "He was already dead when I got there. Some other runt was at the warehouse trying to impersonate him."

Bartender: "Well, if that's who I think it is, he probably isn't the killer. Had a bunch of throwing knives right?"

Roxie: "And couldn't aim if his life depended on it. You know him?"

Bartender: "Unfortunately. Not going to rat him out though, customers that actually pay their tabs off with cash are hard to come by lately."

Roxie: "Anyway, back on topic. What's all this about"

Bartender: "Come on, you of all people should know how we run things around here. You scratched our back, I scratch yours. I can tell Slick tonight you came in and took care of our little problem tonight. I'm sure his tune will change when he hears about it. Either that or I just tell him some church ladies came in for some community service. Your call."
>>
No. 926034 ID: b1b4f3

>>926033
Well, if the bartender knows who the kid is, we can source him as a witness. I'm all for trying to relay the true story to Slick.
>>
No. 926051 ID: 91ee5f

>>926034
Yeah, I agree. Get the truth out there and clear the bounty off your head.

But just in case, ask him to not tell Slick where you’re hiding at.
>>
No. 926053 ID: b1b4f3

>>926051
I feel like Slick will be able to easily conclude Roxie is hiding with the church once the bartender tells him what happened here. It's a trade-off.
>>
No. 926057 ID: a9af05

>>926053
Makes you wonder what we should do.

Leave it at church ladies doing community service or let the bartender tell Slick it was Roxie and he figures out she's at the church?
>>
No. 926078 ID: 15a025
File 155278822455.png - (5.50KB , 800x600 , 61.png )
926078

>I feel like Slick will be able to easily conclude Roxie is hiding with the church once the bartender tells him what happened here. It's a trade-off.
I'm not sure about that. I am a delivery person with quite a few connections after all. If I can get the bartender to spin a story for me, it could throw him off my trail a bit.

>if the bartender knows who the kid is, we can source him as a witness.
On top of that! I wasn't even with the church the night it all happened.
>I'm all for trying to relay the true story to Slick.
>Get the truth out there and clear the bounty off your head.
I'll just bank on getting whoever that punk was to testify for me. If they can't get that happen, I think I've got a story to cover tracks for tonight at least.

Roxie: "Alright, you said you know this guy? He was with me the whole night this happened. Get him to testify to Slick about what really happened at the warehouse."

Bartender: "Cold. I like it. Be good to remind the little shit not to mess with the wrong people here."

He starts doing another bad voice impression. This time he sounds like a mobster off some old TV show.

Bartender: "Alright, now you've done it. You're coming in here to slip Slick the truth 'bout the other night. Try lying your way out and you'll be walking with brick shoes."

Roxie: "If you do end up telling him about tonight, try to keep it a secret I'm with the church. Just tell him I heard you guys were having problems. I took care of it out as a sign of good will."

Bartender: "Yeah I get what you mean. Like you're trying to prove you're still trustworthy or something. He might like that. I'm going to try and get our friend in here to testify for ya though. Might have to give him a little incentive to, but you don't worry about that. I'll cover it."
>>
No. 926079 ID: 15a025
File 155278825940.png - (5.80KB , 800x600 , 62.png )
926079

Relina: "Hey, the wolverine is starting to come to over here!"

Bartender: "Shit! Uh... alright. Here Roxie, take this rope and tie him up for now. Pat him down for any enchanted crap and get it as far away from here as you can. After that you two probably don't want to stick around."

Relina: "We could just bring him to the police?"

Bartender: "No can do. Let's just say he's got some dirt on this place I'd rather the cops not know about."

I rush back over and help tie him up.

Roxie: "Alright, let's get out of here Relina."

Relina: "You don't need to tell me that twice!"
>>
No. 926080 ID: 15a025
File 155278833662.png - (5.15KB , 800x600 , 63.png )
926080

We make our way back to church and head up to Relina's room.

Relina: "Now that we're somewhere I don't have to worry about 'sleeping with the fishes' do you think you can fill me here? Why does a mafia want guy want you dead?"

Roxie: "Can I have my thoughts to myself for a moment? I want to talk to my guide spirits about all this."

Relina: "I...alright."

I assume she's disconnected, or whatever? Either that or she's good at keeping a blank mind.


Alright, I'm really not sure if I should confess everything to her or just partially fill her in. I'm a little worried if I tell her, it might end up in me having to leave the church and lose my protection. Or something worse happening? I guess I don't know what the church would do if they found out about me.

I could really use your guidance on this, spirits.
>>
No. 926082 ID: b1b4f3

>>926080
You can tell her most of the story without worry I think. Just say you were delivering a package, but the guy was killed by cultists who then trapped you in the warehouse, so you killed one of the cultists while trying to escape. The cultists got pissy and proceeded to try to frame you for the murder of the guy they killed, who turned out to be a member of the mafia.

If she asks you what was in the package, tell her couriers are never told what the contents are. This will at most paint you as legally grey and the church shouldn't throw you out. It's not like you work directly for the mafia, after all, and your employer wasn't supposed to be dealing in any dangerous items.

...hmm. You were given a light enchantment stone for the delivery mission but... why? We now know it's not very effective against normal people. Wouldn't literally any other element have been better?
>>
No. 926094 ID: a9af05

>>926080
RELINA, THERE'S A SPIDER ON YOUR TAIL!!!

If that doesn't get a reaction out of her, then she really did disconnect from us. Or she's very good at pretending.

>>926082
Yeah, pretty much this.

>You were given a light enchantment stone for the delivery mission
Not true.

Blitz, who is another guy from the church, gave us to Roxie because he said he had a feeling that Roxie was going to need us.
>>
No. 926095 ID: 91ee5f

>>926080
So, what exactly did you guys do with the wolverine guy? If you didn’t take him to the cops, where did you take him?

>>926082
Yeah, do this.
>>
No. 926104 ID: 2202fb

>>926080
We either tell her nothing or we induct her.
>>
No. 926146 ID: 91ee5f

>>926104
No, don’t induct her into the mafia!
>>
No. 926228 ID: 2202fb

>>926146
induct her into the mansion group, not the mafia.
>>
No. 926231 ID: 91ee5f

>>926228
Isn’t everyone in the mansion in the mafia?
>>
No. 926740 ID: 15a025
File 155321910398.png - (5.10KB , 800x600 , 64.png )
926740

>what exactly did you guys do with the wolverine guy? If you didn’t take him to the cops, where did you take him?
We left him at the bar. I assume the bartender is going to hand him over to Slick or one of the other big shots in the mafia.

>You can tell her most of the story without worry I think. Just say you were delivering a package, but the guy was killed by cultists who then trapped you in the warehouse, so you killed one of the cultists while trying to escape. The cultists got pissy and proceeded to try to frame you for the murder of the guy they killed, who turned out to be a member of the mafia.
Roxie: "The other night I was delivering a package. When I got to the warehouse we were supposed to meet at, I found him dead on the floor. Soon after I heard something slam shut, only to find I was locked in. While looking around for a way to escape, I ran into the cult and found they were behind all of this. I managed to kill one of them on my way out. Once I escaped and got into town, I heard the guy they killed was with the mafia. Then I heard they're framing me for the murder."

Relina: "What were you delivering that could possibly warrant all of that?"

>If she asks you what was in the package, tell her couriers are never told what the contents are.
Roxie: "I don't know what it was. Couriers aren't told what they're delivering. I just got a box with the directions."

Relina: [small]"I'm sorry Roxie."[/i]

Roxie: "For what? You didn't do anything?"

Relina: "That whole time we were at the bar I kept thinking you were in the mafia or some criminal on the run. I shouldn't have jumped to conclusions like that."

I feel like I'd remember hearing something like that? Unless some of her thoughts weren't sent over. It doesn't matter too much, she wouldn't be far off from the truth.

Relina: "-but I'm also sorry you have to go through all of this. I really hope your friend at the bar is able to get it sorted out for you."

Roxie: "Heh, don't hope for that. As soon as this all gets cleared up, I'm going to have to head out and start doing deliveries again."

Relina: "Well, you're always welcome and encouraged to come to church."

Roxie: "Yeah, maybe if I ever get the chance I can drag Candy down here with me."

Relina: "That'd be wonderf-oh! Speaking of deliveries, we still need to report to Lantern Lumein with the jar of chimera remains!"
>>
No. 926741 ID: 15a025
File 155321912384.png - (5.67KB , 800x600 , 65.png )
926741

Back out to the cold, Relina brings me over to the church. Someone's inside talking with Lumein.

???: "I'll end this briefly. I expect better out of you Lantern Lumein. This city has the highest chimera sightings and reports of curses in the entire district. I can pardon your poor performance seeing how the church has opened only a few weeks ago. I expect to see better results next inspection."
>>
No. 926742 ID: 15a025
File 155321913763.png - (5.30KB , 800x600 , 66.png )
926742

The strange cat promptly leaves afterwards, leaving Lumein by her podium thing.
>>
No. 926779 ID: 2202fb

>>926742
Whisper to Relina that you guess the church and the mafia arent so different.
>>
No. 926792 ID: b1b4f3

>>926779
I don't think that's a fair comparison...

>>926742
Yeah, this city's got some big problems brewing. We need to get to the bottom of it. I wonder how much the church would pay you for working for them full time?
>>
No. 926798 ID: 91ee5f

>>926742
Hopefully showing Lumein the chimera remains will cheer her up a little.

>>926779
No, don’t say that. That’s completely untrue.

>>926792
>payment for full time?
That’s assuming Roxie wants to continue doing this. But it is something to consider, since it seems to be nicer than running packages all over town.
>>
No. 927460 ID: 15a025
File 155365448733.png - (5.32KB , 800x600 , 67.png )
927460

>Isn’t everyone in the mansion in the mafia?
No. We just do business with the mafia sometimes. Well, as far as I know at least.

>I wonder how much the church would pay you for working for them full time?
>That’s assuming Roxie wants to continue doing this. But it is something to consider, since it seems to be nicer than running packages all over town.
I don't think the church can pay more than what I make right now. It's debatably a riskier job delivering stuff, but I'm making more than enough to pay the bills. I'm not even sure I can really quit my job right now either. I'm the only one who can go out and do this stuff.

>Whisper to Relina that you guess the church and the mafia aren't so different.
Roxie: "Since when does a church have to pass evaluations? This guy the god father or something?"

Relina: "No that was- did you just compare him to a mob boss?"

Roxie: "Sorry. But really, what was that all about?

Relina: "That was our Lantern Watcher."

Roxie: "Your who?"

Relina: "Oh, right. Well, to keep it simple, he's in charge of guiding all the Lanterns in the district and making sure everything's okay. He's like Lantern Lumein's boss.

>Hopefully showing Lumein the chimera remains will cheer her up a little.
Roxie: "Well come on, let's go show her our souvenir bar prize."
>>
No. 927464 ID: 15a025
File 155365463710.png - (5.03KB , 800x600 , 68.png )
927464

We walk up to the podium with the chimera ashes for Lumein.
Relina: "We're back!"

Lumein: "I see. A job done well I hope?"
She doesn't sound too hopeful.

Relina: "We got some chimera remains for the next send off!"

She sets the jar down on the podium thing. That gets her to change her tone a bit.

Lumein: "Ah, good! Learn anything on your first outing Roxie?"

Roxie: "Plenty."

Relina: "Roxie did most of the work on this one. She needed a few nudges to get things done though."

Lumein: "Keep up with your training then. I may need your assistance again in a few days. The police department might need our help with an investigation they're doing."

Relina: "Oh my! What's going on?"

Lumein: "I don't have the details, other than it involves the cult."

Relina: "You can count on us if something happens then!"

Lumein: "I'm glad to hear. Now rest easy, you've had a busy day so far."
>>
No. 927465 ID: 15a025
File 155365470858.png - (4.83KB , 800x600 , 69.png )
927465

The rest of the day goes by pretty quickly. Relina takes me back to her room and have something to eat. Afterwards, I get a chance to shower up and take this heavy robe off. Before I know it, I'm getting ready to call it a night.

Relina: "Despite our little adventure at the bar, I had a good time hanging out with you today Roxie."

Roxie: "Yeah, I guess I had a good time kicking your butt practicing magic today. Not sure I'd say a trip to the bar without any drinks-"

Relina: "Roxie!"

Roxie: "Oh fine. There's ways to have fun at bar without drinking. Otherwise I'd never offer to drive.

Relina: "Alright good night Roxie."

She shuts off the lights and we crawl into bed. Goodnight you goofy ghosts.

End of volume -
>>
No. 927466 ID: 15a025
File 155365475665.png - (4.79KB , 800x600 , 70.png )
927466

I'm woken up to someone knocking on the door. Relina must be a heavy sleeper because she doesn't get up at all.
Roxie: "Guess I'll get it."

By the time I'm up and answer the door, they're gone. There's a letter on the floor though. As I pick it up, I'm surprised it's addressed to me? Who the hell's sending me letters at this time of night? What time is it anyway, one?

I open it to see it's from the bartender.

Telegram to Roxie, from Slick.
Pick up your damn phone!
Assuming your hiding out of cell range at this point so I'm trusting our bartender friend here to deliver this instead. Your ass, my bar, our business. You know which one. Bring a friend if you want. I've got all night, but don't keep me waiting. I don't trust no-shows.
>>
No. 927468 ID: b1b4f3

>>927466
Guess we're going out. Leave a note for Relina. Unless you think you can bring her?
It'd be nice to have a second light mage in case the cult is keeping tabs on Slick...
>>
No. 927505 ID: 91ee5f

>>927466
zzzzzz

Huh?! What’s going on?!

Augh, Roxie, why did you wake us up so early?

>>927468
Sounds like a plan.
>>
No. 927513 ID: 82491b

Tell relina that if you arent back to tell candy youve likely either been kidnapped or killed.
>>
No. 927570 ID: 15a025
File 155372587778.png - (4.82KB , 800x600 , 71.png )
927570

>Guess we're going out. Leave a note for Relina. Unless you think you can bring her?
>Tell Relina that if you aren't back to tell candy you've likely either been kidnapped or killed.
I'm not sure if I should make her come with me for this. Given how un-comfortable she seemed at the bar earlier, I don't think she could keep her cool around Slick.

>It'd be nice to have a second light mage in case the cult is keeping tabs on Slick.
There's Blitz if I can find and wake him up. He knows a little more about my situation than Relina, but I'm not sure how he'd handle the situation.

I guess there's Lumein too if I really feel like pushing my luck? Maybe she'll be understanding enough to help me out? Or give me an earful afterwards.

I don't mind going alone either. It might even be better not to drag them into all of this.
>>
No. 927573 ID: b1b4f3

If you think it's fine then sure let's go alone.
>>
No. 927936 ID: a9af05

>>927570
At least leave a note to let Relina know that you've gone to a meeting, so that she doesn't panic when she doesn't see you in bed.

And then write when you think you'll be back and if you're not back by then, something might have happened.
>>
No. 927937 ID: a9af05

>>927936
Or if you're not back, you might be at the mansion where Candy is. Specifically tell her where the mansion is and that Candy is there, that way if something does happen to you and Relina comes looking for you, she and Candy can help each other come look for you.
>>
No. 928094 ID: 15a025
File 155405857757.png - (4.67KB , 800x600 , 72.png )
928094

>If you think it's fine then sure let's go alone.
>leave a note to let Relina know that you've gone to a meeting, so that she doesn't panic when she doesn't see you in bed.
>write when you think you'll be back and if you're not back by then, something might have happened.

Alright. I think I should be back before Relina wakes up. Just in case I'm not, I leave her a short note explaining what's going on.
>>
No. 928095 ID: 15a025
File 155405867157.png - (5.46KB , 800x600 , 73.png )
928095

It's a long walk out in the cold, but I guess this is what I get for leaving my scooter at home. Least it's helping me wake up and stay alert.

I let out a sigh of relief when I get into the bar to warm up. It doesn't last long when I see the cold look on Slicks face though.
Slick: "How nice of you to finally join us Roxie. I was starting to think you might not show up."

Roxie: "Not exactly the best hour to try and get a hold of someone."

Slick: "Would be if someone knew how to answer their phone. That's beside the point though. You came all the way down here, so why don't you make yourself comfortable and take a seat."

As I make my way over to the table and sit down he light's up a cigar. As a sit down he blows a puff of smoke at me.
Slick: "So first of all, I've had a chat with a small friend of ours."

I cough out a reply.
Roxie: "And how did that go?"

My heart just about skips a beat when I see him pull out his gun. Shit, what did that little runt tell him! He casually draws it towards the middle of the table and just drops it, making a loud click as it hits the surface. Then he moves the barrel away from both of us. Before I can think about what his plan is, he continues on.

Slick:"Things are a lot more interesting now. Turns out Snowshoes might have been playing double agent. According to our small friend, he's been selling enchantments to this cult behind our backs. Then he's been stealing them back and hiding them somewhere else."

I look down at the gun again for a moment.
Roxie: "What's that have to do with me?"

Slick: "You're quite the interesting person right now. It's not every day you run into someone with light magic. Well, someone like you with light magic that is."
>>
No. 928099 ID: b1b4f3

>>928095
Oh, let me guess: he wants you to fight the cult on the mafia's behalf.
>>
No. 928107 ID: 91ee5f

>>928095
>”You're quite the interesting person right now. It's not every day you run into someone with light magic. Well, someone like you with light magic that is."
I wonder what he’s getting at here? He might be trying to imply that it was awfully convenient for you to have light magic when the cult showed up, like you knew they were coming ahead of time.
>>
No. 928485 ID: 15a025
File 155426192801.png - (5.52KB , 800x600 , 74.png )
928485

>wonder what he’s getting at here? He might be trying to imply that it was awfully convenient for you to have light magic when the cult showed up, like you knew they were coming ahead of time.
Roxie: "Are you trying to say I knew the cult was going to be there last night?"

Slick: "Not quite, but since you brought it up,"

He spins the gun towards me.
Slick: "Care to elaborate on that?"


Roxie: "I told you. All I knew was to meet Snowshoes at the warehouse, then give him his package. That's it. I didn't even know what was inside the package."

Slick: "Yeah, and since when have you brought anything more dangerous than a pocket knife along for protection. You might not have known what was up, but I sure as hell know Sugar knew something!"

I flinch as he moves his paw, just about expecting him to shoot. He doesn't though, he's just pulling his cigar out to puff more smoke.

When he resumes talking, his tone sounds more depressed and calm.

Slick: "I know she's run into these freaks before. At least I hear her sister and Marsh have been picking away at them. Just- the first thing I want to know here is what the hell is going on between the two of you."

I know Candy saved Tulip from the cult the other day. I didn't know Marsh was involved though? Or did they try pulling something like earlier on her? Does she have enchantments too? As for me, they know what I'm delivering and want more than just some free samples. They went all the way to try and kidnap my friend and use her as ransom or something for some.
Wait, I might be able use that? At least as reason for why I'm carrying around a light enchantment.
>>
No. 928488 ID: b1b4f3

Between you and sugar? ...I don't even understand the question. She's your boss? And you're kindof pissed at her now since it's basically her fault you're in this shitty situation?

We didn't hear the whole conversation that led to you getting the necklace and light enchantment, so I can't tell if just giving him the truth would work. But yeah, the cult went after Tulip so you can just say that Candy may have expected the cult to go after you too regardless of what you were carrying, thus the extra protection.
>>
No. 928501 ID: 91ee5f

>>928485
>I know Candy saved Tulip from the cult the other day. I didn't know Marsh was involved though? Or did they try pulling something like earlier on her?
He might be referring to an earlier event that you don’t know about, where both Candy and Marsh ran into the cult. This event probably took place before Candy and Relina saved Tulip.

>>928488
>But yeah, the cult went after Tulip so you can just say that Candy may have expected the cult to go after you too regardless of what you were carrying, thus the extra protection.
Yeah, tell him this.
>>
No. 928611 ID: a9af05

>>928488
This.
>>
No. 928662 ID: 15a025
File 155440694492.png - (4.42KB , 800x600 , 75.png )
928662

>He might be referring to an earlier event that you don’t know about, where both Candy and Marsh ran into the cult. This event probably took place before Candy and Relina saved Tulip.
He could be. I probably shouldn't make assumptions about what happened yet either. I'll have to ask Marsh and Candy about it next time I see them.

>Between you and sugar? ...I don't even understand the question. She's your boss? And you're kindof pissed at her now since it's basically her fault you're in this shitty situation?
Roxie: "Between...me and Sugar? I don't really get your question. Of course I'm mad at her right now. I'm in this shitty situation right now all thanks to her."

Slick: "I meant why is the cult going after all of you, or why are you going after the cult?"
>We didn't hear the whole conversation that led to you getting the necklace and light enchantment, so I can't tell if just giving him the truth would work. But yeah, the cult went after Tulip so you can just say that Candy may have expected the cult to go after you too regardless of what you were carrying, thus the extra protection.
Roxie: "I have a few guesses as to why the cult is after all us. A few days ago they tried to hold a friend of mine ransom for... some certain special candy we sell? I wasn't there when it happened. I heard Candy and a girl from the church managed to kill the cultist behind it. She also mentioned the cult's looking to kidnap me since I'm Sugar's 'distributor'. I've been carrying around my light enchantment since then."

He lets out a little chuckle.

Slick: "Sorry, you just keep talking like someone else is listening in on us. Anyway..."

He spins the gun around so it's not pointing at me again.

Slick: "So, these bums are pretty much the next gang looking to take over the town. They don't seem to be fuckin around either. If they're after the kind of enchantments like I hear, we need to call and double down on getting some ourselves."

He stops and looks like he's thinking for awhile.

Slick: "We're not gonna be able to get armed soon enough to chase after some info though. Damn.
>>
No. 928663 ID: 15a025
File 155440698112.png - (5.83KB , 800x600 , 76.png )
928663

Slick: "For a second here, I didn't think we'd need it. Hey Bartender! Bring out my suitcase!"

Quickly, the bartender comes over with a suitcase.
Roxie: "What's this all about now?"

Slick: "Inside this suitcase is the bounty I put on your head. Five grand."

I think I know where this is going.

Roxie: "Let me guess-"

Slick: "Don't spoil the fun now. I've got some other sources saying the fuzz is going to be doing a sting operation somewhere on the cult. Apparently they got lead on where one of their meeting spots are. I don't care how you do it or how you get there. I want you to go and investigate tell me everything you can. Maybe get a little bonus if you bring back some souvenirs."
>>
No. 928664 ID: b1b4f3

>>928662
>the mafia wants some stones
Well what do you know? Sugar has some apparently. You should tell her about her new buyer. Though if I were her, I'd sell them mostly light enchantment stones, or other things that won't give them too much power against the police after this is all over.

>>928663
Tell him that sounds difficult. You'll give it a shot, but you might not be able to do it. Ask what kind of information he's looking for.
I mean, you don't have any contacts in the police department, so I'm not sure how you'd be able to find out where it's going down.

One thing's worrying me... Almost every question Slick has asked has to do with the cult, instead of Snowshoes, and now he's asking you to get info on a sting operation before it goes down?

Also why ARE you acting like someone's listening? You know we can't exactly tell the police about your criminal activity right?
>>
No. 928668 ID: 2202fb

>>928662
Tell him he would probably be better off investing in assault rifles and other sorts of conventional weapons. Enchantments are a lot hotter and don't negate bullets.

>>928663
Guess we need to chat with Candy.
>>
No. 928677 ID: a9af05

>>928664
>Give it a shot, but might not be able to do it.
This.

>Stop acting like someone else is listening.
I agree.

>>928668
>Need to chat with Candy
Why? How can she help us with this? Also, she's not going to be much help if her leg is still injured from her daring rescue of Tulip.

We're the only ones that know about Candy working with the police, nobody else knows. Please don't try to metagame like that.
>>
No. 928681 ID: 2202fb

>>928677
I'm not trying to metagame. I could have sworn she said something about getting involved with the police to some degree.
>>
No. 928694 ID: 15a025

>>928677
>>928681
Not too sure if I'm being too meta now myself, but you might be thinking of Lumien from a few panels ago: >>927464

Sorry for the weird OOC post.
>>
No. 928890 ID: 15a025
File 155459659431.png - (4.57KB , 800x600 , 77.png )
928890

>Sugar has some apparently. You should tell her about her new buyer. Though if I were her, I'd sell them mostly light enchantment stones, or other things that won't give them too much power against the police after this is all over. Enchantments are a lot hotter and don't negate bullets.
>Tell him he would probably be better off investing in assault rifles and other sorts of conventional weapons.
Roxie: "I don't know Slick. You might be better off just grabbing more guns."

Slick: "From a business stand point, maybe. Easier to sell them than enchantments, but bullets don't kill monsters from hell."

Roxie: "Well, good luck with that."

Slick: "What, Sugar's all tapped out? Come on, I know she's got to have more! Have her dig through for what we need."

Roxie: "Call her afterwards, you know I'm just the courier. I don't know what she has!"

Slick: "Alright, get that attitude of yours on the rocks, Rox. Let's get back to my offer here."

>Almost every question Slick has asked has to do with the cult, instead of Snowshoes, and now he's asking you to get info on a sting operation before it goes down?
Roxie: "About that. So far, you haven't really asked much about Snowshoes and more about that cult. Now you want me to get info about a sting operation before it even happens?"

Slick: "Yeah. I know Snowshoes was dealing with these guys behind my back. It might be a little late now, but I wanna try and find out if he was really was a traitor, or if he just bit off a little more than he could chew?"

>You'll give it a shot, but you might not be able to do it. Ask what kind of information he's looking for.
Roxie: "I can't make any promises, but I'll try and give it a shot. What kind of information are you looking for?"

Slick: "Most important info is anything about Snowshoes. You manage to even just find the guy who really did it, perhaps we can talk about a bonus then. Names and faces are next. Try and learn their ranks too. Be nice to find out who's leading all this, but I know that's probably a long shot. Probably more valuable than that would be how they're getting their enchantments. Are they just stealing them from somewhere, or is someone else dealing? If it's the latter situation, find out who."

Roxie: "Alright. Guess the only other problem I have is, where is this place?"

He hands me a envelope.

Slick: "Details and directions inside. Here's my number too. Just don't be calling me up for stupid shit."
>>
No. 928891 ID: 15a025
File 155459661214.png - (5.75KB , 800x600 , 78.png )
928891

He snuffs out his cigar as he gets up.

Slick: "Alright, you sure know how to keep things interesting around here Roxie. How about we wrap this up and call it a night? Unless you feel like sticking around for a few drinks?"
>>
No. 928893 ID: b1b4f3

>>928891
Strongly consider having a few drinks.
>>
No. 928915 ID: 91ee5f

>>928893
Consider, yes. But should she actually get a few drinks?
>>
No. 928960 ID: 58b4f3

>>928891
Don't stick around for drinks. He might be attempting to loosen your lips by getting you a little tipsy.

You might be better off using this time to prepare for what he's asked you to do.
>>
No. 928997 ID: 4eaed6

Tired and drunk doesn't mix well. Thank him for the offer and go back to bed.
>>
No. 928998 ID: 4eaed6

Oh yeah, and while his sources just said somewhere, do they have anything else on it?
>>
No. 929001 ID: 91ee5f

>>928998
It’s probably written in that envelope he gave to Roxie.
>>
No. 929076 ID: 15a025
File 155474128743.png - (5.83KB , 800x600 , 79.png )
929076

>Strongly consider having a few drinks.
Ha, the only thing I need to strongly consider is what I'll-

>Consider, yes. But should she actually get a few drinks?
>Don't stick around for drinks. He might be attempting to loosen your lips by getting you a little tipsy.
>You might be better off using this time to prepare for what he's asked you to do.
>Tired and drunk doesn't mix well. Thank him for the offer and go back to bed.
What I won't be ordering I guess. As much as I could go for a few drinks to unwind, this probably isn't the place or time to do so. Relina probably wouldn't be too happy if came back to the church more than a little buzzed either.

Roxie: "I'll pass on the drinks. It's late, and feel like getting up early to investigate a little."

Slick: "Like I said, keeping it interesting. I'll expect you to keep in touch."

>Oh yeah, and while his sources just said somewhere, do they have anything else on it?
Roxie: "Oh, one last thing before I head out. Your sources said somewhere, but do they have anything else on it?"

Slick: "Also like I said, details are in the envelope. Not sure how helpful it's all gonna be. Hearing things from underground fighting ring to some spot for summoning monsters."

Roxie: "Alright, goodnight."

With that, I take my leave and head back to the church.
>>
No. 929077 ID: 15a025
File 155474130497.png - (4.51KB , 800x600 , 80.png )
929077

It's about a little after two-thirty by the time I make it back and I'm beat. Given how far the walk from her to the bar is, it's probably a good idea I decided to pass on drinks. Not sure I could even get a taxi at this hour. I flop into bed and call it night, hoping I won't have to get up too early. Thanks for helping me get out trouble again today, holy spirits.

End of Volume 7


Delete post []
Password